A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 258: From Father To Son
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 258: From Father To Son

September, 1739

Parliament was in session, and therefore James had reluctantly moved from Hampton Court to Whitehall, this time accompanied by his eldest son and heir, George, alongside George’s family. Caroline had said she didn’t want to move to Whitehall just yet, something about waiting for something or the other, and so she would come later. James looked at his eldest son and heir and smiled, he raised his cup.

“Firstly, we wanted to say congratulations on the birth of another son.” George’s wife Anne had given birth to a boy who the parents had named Edward, an unusual name for their family and one not used since the time of Edward VI.

“Thank you, Father.” George replied. They were in private, with only the servants for company, therefore, James had relaxed the restrictions of etiquette for now.

“Why the name Edward?” James asked.

George smiled. “Anne had mentioned that she had been fascinated by the story of St Edward the Confessor as a child, and it would make a change from the usual names.”

James laughed. “A fair point, though let us hope that he does not end up like his famous ancestor.”

His son grinned. “Indeed, though from the way he cries, I do not think he will be weak.”

James snorted. “Very true.” There was a pause then as they both had a drink from their wine cups, then, George spoke.

“There was one thing I wished to ask you, Father.”

“Go on.” James said.

“How long do you think the Tories will be able to dominate Parliament?” George replied.

James thought on this, it was something he’d been quite surprised about as well, given the history of elections within the Kingdom. “We do not know. The Tories have dominated Parliament since our Mother became Queen, fifty-two years ago. The Whigs have suffered from some seriously poor management and from the fact that many of their leading adherents were actually opportunists who defected to the Tories when it became clear that our Mother favoured the Tories.”

“Like Walpole?” George asked.

James grinned. “Like Walpole.”

“How do you know someone like Walpole actually believes in the principles he talks about?” George asked.

James considered the question, he had known Walpole almost his entire life. The man was a favourite of Caroline’s, and he had done a lot to prove himself over the years. “We think that Walpole is a man who believes in serving his country over any party. He has often shown that he considers the monarchy and the Kingdom to be one and the same. He is a valued man, and has benefitted from his office.”

“So, you think he is someone who needs a guiding hand? Or someone who needs a reward for continued service?” George asked.

James shook his head. “Neither, he is a man who would do the work because he believes in it, or not at all. But why do you ask?” As far as James could remember his son had never asked him such a question before. Only questions about the constitution and the prerogative.

“I ask because I wonder what the fate of this Kingdom would be if the Whigs managed to win a majority in the Commons. Would you then need to appoint a Whig dominated ministry or not?” George replied.

James pondered this question, it was one he had never truly given much thought to, given the domination of the Tories, but he supposed it was a valid one. Eventually the electorate’s mood would change he supposed, once Walpole and Bolingbroke were gone. “We would consider the circumstances. We have enough power to hold a mixed administration. Personally, we would prefer a complete Tory administration as that is our preference, but we cannot ignore the Commons.”

“So, you would allow some Whigs to come into power?” George asked.

“Yes, some Whigs.” James replied. “Why do you think the Whigs have a chance at the next election?” He asked then, curious as to his son’s views.

George shook his head. “I do not think so. Spencer Compton was the last hope they had I think. Though there are some like George Grenville who are interesting speakers, but otherwise there aren’t many I think could be useful. I am simply surprised that the Tories have not split themselves yet.”

James laughed. “They’re too used to power now. We think if a Whig emerges who challenges them, then they might divide. Or if you embark on a different policy than we have, then they might.”

“Why?” George asked.

“Because a Tory’s greatest enemy is himself. Nobody else can undermine a Tory like a Tory can.” James said.

“So, how have they remained in power for so long?” George asked.

James looked at his son and said. “Our favour.”

Chapter 259: Empire
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 259: Empire

January, 1740

Shahu felt the groan of his bones and he knew that his time was coming. Still, he had had a good life, and his son had had children to continue the line of succession, so on that front he had no concerns. He looked at his son then and said. “Bengal has finally agreed to accede into the Empire.”

“It only took them around thirty years.” His son and heir joked.

Shahu smiled. “Indeed, and yet now that they are within the Empire we will need to ensure they do not dominate it.”

“Of course, I can just imagine the reaction the Holkars would have if Muslims dominated.” His son said.

“We are being serious, Shiva, you cannot ignore the consequences that this will have. Bengal is a prosperous Kingdom; it has the capability to make us all incredibly rich. But they will demand something in return.” Shahu said.

“I know, Father.” His son replied. “But surely they must know what their limitations are going to be. They cannot demand a prime place at the table until they have demonstrated their commitment to the Empire.”

“And yet that is what they will do, for they know their worth. The Nawab came right out and said it when we met.” Shahu said, remembering the words the man who for so long had been a thorn in these negotiations, which had dragged on for years.

“And how long do you truly think that man will last as Nawab?” Shiva asked. “We already know that his followers are looking to someone else to take over. Now that he is a subject of the Empire, we can decide how things go.”

Shahu shifted uncomfortably. “We do not think we should be playing God. The Nawabs are chosen by God either through blood or war, that is the way it should remain. Otherwise, we will set a dangerous precedent.”

Shiva looked unconvinced and said as much. “Grandfather took the throne of Delhi through war, why should it be different here? We control Delhi, we control most of Bharat, what difference does it make if we interfere within the succession of a state of our Empire.”

“Then they will try and interfere in our succession, much as they did with the Mughals. We cannot allow that. Thus, we shall allow for a tacit agreement about their status within the Empire.” Shahu said. “You may change it when you ascend the throne, but until then, this is our policy.”

“As you wish, Father.” Shiva replied.

There was a moment’s silence as they both considered the implications of this, and then Shahu said. “We shall require you to head to Kabul after the celebrations to inspect the fortifications and ensure that none of the tribal leaders are stepping beyond their remit.”

Shiva thankfully nodded. “Of course.”

“And whilst you are there, we shall ask you to enter into negotiations with the Hotaks.” Shahu added.

“Negotiations?” His son replied sounding surprised. “What for?”

“To arrange a betrothal between Hotak’s daughter and your son.” Shahu said.

“What?!” Shiva responded sounding indignant.

“Shah, is the same age as Hotak’s daughter, and as such, when the time is right we shall name him governor of Kabul, he needs the support of Hotak and his associates, that is the way to do it.” Shahu responded.

He expected Shiva to protest more fervently, and so was pleasantly surprised when his son merely said. “As you command.”

“Good, now go back to your family, and enjoy the time you have with them.” Shahu commanded.

Chapter 260: Queen of Hearts
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 260: Queen of Hearts

April, 1740

Anna Sophia, Queen of Portugal fanned herself and waited for the heat to die down. Even after all this time she was still not used to how bloody hot the Portuguese spring could be. She heard her husband snort and turned to look at him.

“What?” She asked, her Portuguese much more refined after almost five decades in the Kingdom.

Her husband, King Joao V of Portugal merely smiled before saying. “You were right you know.”

Anna Sophia smiled. “About what?” She asked.

“About the roads.” Joao replied. “Building them in a manner in which snake around people has made them far easier to maintain and made it harder for any brigands to do their work. Francisco reports that crime has fallen some thirty percent thus.”

Anna smiled. She had argued with her husband about those damned roads for many months and eventually he had agreed with her. “I am happy that it has worked.”

Her husband nodded and then said. “There have been some murmurings amongst the council though. Mainly that the continued presence of Barbary Pirates is disrupting trade from the New World. I have discussed broaching an alliance with the French to handle this, but I feel that King Louis is not someone who will actually follow through on his agreements.”

Anna thought on this and then said. “King Louis has done more to isolate France from anyone else than his grandfather did. We cannot allow him to dictate the shipping channels. I would recommend writing to Madrid and bringing about a mutual alliance there. I could write to Britannia and see if they would be happy to help as well.”

Her husband considered this, his eyebrows raising as he did so, eventually he nodded. “You are correct of course. Spain and Austria are getting closer, France is isolated other than Naples and has resigned an alliance with the Sultan. I think if you write to London that would be for the best.” The way her husband said London reminded her that he and her brother King James didn’t get along.

Anna wanted to press that point, she had never quite understood the differences her brother and husband had, but she knew that doing so now was perhaps not the right thing. So, instead she said. “I will.”

“We must also discuss who our grandson Joao shall marry.” Her husband said.

Anna nodded. “I had thought that we might solidify the alliance with Britannia through marrying him to James’ daughter Charlotte Amelia.”

Her husband looked at her and then said. “She is four years older than him is she not?”

“She is, but that just means she is more ready for having children and continuing the line.” Anna said.

“I am not sure. I do not want the Kingdom to think we are doing everything to win Britannia over. We are a power in our own right.” Joao said.

“I know, dear, but we must consider things logically. If not her then who?” Anna asked.

“Had France not tried to isolate itself this way, I would have suggested a Princess of France. However, if we are seeking to keep them onside then perhaps Louise Elisabeth of France.” Joao said.

“Perhaps,” Anna replied. She knew that the girl was said to be a beauty and smart as well, that would go well for their grandson. “But what about Sophie Antoinette of Austria, daughter of the King of the Romans? She comes from a fertile family and would tie us closer to an existing ally.”

Joao looked thoughtful then. “I think that would work yes. I shall send a letter to our ambassador in Vienna to broach this topic.”

Anna smiled. “Perfect.” She then added. “We must discuss a marriage for our daughter.”

Maria was a beautiful woman, smart and shrewd, and she had many admirers at court, one of whom had gotten close to her, though Maria insisted that nothing had happened between them.

“Who would you recommend?” Joao asked.

“Maximilian of Bavaria, the heir to the Electorate. A Spanish ally and an Austrian one as well.” Anna said.

“I think that would work.” Joao said.

“Perfect.” Anna said.

Chapter 261: A New Start For An Old Hand
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 261: A New Start For An Old Hand

July, 1740

Caroline, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britannia shifted slightly and then said. “You know, I think it’s a good thing that the Duke of Ormonde got to die in his estates. At least he was in his beloved home.”

Her husband, King James, merely nodded before adding. “I think it would have been better had he been in London. That way we could have arranged a proper funeral for him. Though his brother has insisted he be laid in state in Dublin Castle.”

“He is a hero to all in Ireland for his efforts. It is understandable.” Caroline said. The Duke of Ormonde had been an old man, but his death a few weeks ago had been sudden and surprising, and Caroline knew her husband was still trying to come to terms with it.

“The Earl of Orrey was the man he wanted to replace him, so, I’ve informed the man and he’ll be heading out for Dublin on the morrow.” James said.

Caroline nodded. “Orrey is a good man, he has shown his administrative talents in the treasury, and Robert has told me that he holds to the party line.” Robert had seemingly become ever more obsessed with the party line as he’d aged, a complete contrast to what he’d been like before.

“Indeed.” Her husband said, though Caroline suspected he would return to that statement later. “I am more concerned about Berwick’s retirement. He never voiced any complaint.”

Caroline took her husband’s hand; she knew that he saw the Duke of Berwick as an older brother and knew that his decision to retire so soon after Ormonde’s death had shaken her husband. “He is old now, my dear, perhaps it is for the best that he retires.”

“He was still out performing men half his age until a few days ago. I do not know what could have brought this on.” James said.

“He is a grandfather now, and we are at peace. I think he merely wants to enjoy his family before he has to die.” Caroline said simply.

“Who do you recommend I nominate as his successor?” James asked. “William seems content to remain in Scotland, but his ideas are better than Marlborough’s.”

“They are both Field Marshals, you raised them to the rank with Ormonde and Berwick a few months ago.” Caroline pointed out. “Why not simply let William remain in Scotland and name Marlborough Commander in Chief, but with the understanding that ultimately troop authority in Scotland rests with William?”

Her husband bit his lip in consideration and then said. “I suppose that would be the right thing to do. And it would help prevent any further schisms between my brother and I.”

Caroline nodded, she did not know exactly what had caused the usually close brothers to have fallen out. She did not think it was over William’s mistress, for he had many of those over the course of time she’d known him. She did not want to pry though, and so instead asked another question. “How will you respond to Bolingbroke’s proposal?” Henry St John, recently raised to Duke of Bolingbroke had proposed a new series of reforms to make the electoral system within the country fairer, it had caused quite the stink in cabinet from what George had told her.

“I do not know.” James responded. “On the one hand I can see the benefit in what he suggests, it would ensure that more people have a chance to speak their mind and reduce the corruption within the Commons. On the other hand, Hume’s recent treaty on the human mind has gotten me thinking. What if the electorate becomes even more emotive after it is expanded? The electorate now are educated but still they vote based on emotion, what happens if the new electors are even more emotional due to a lack of education?”

“Then surely that would be to our benefit?” Caroline asked. “As it would mean that they would be easily manipulated toward voting for the parties that you support.”

James sighed. “I do not want to have to manipulate my subjects, Caroline.”

Caroline snorted. “You have no problem manipulating the politicians in Parliament.”

“That’s different.” James retorted. “They know what they’re doing, or at least they think they do. If they are manipulated by me, then so be it. But the electorate? They are the voters, the people. I would not feel comfortable deliberately lying to them about something.”

“So, don’t lie.” Caroline said. “Simply say one thing and make it seem as if you are doing that thing. The people love you, they will not complain.”

“And what happens if there is a monarch who they do not love doing this?” James asked. “Open up the electorate and then there might come a time where dangerous sentiments are put forward.”

“Then put in the procedures to ensure that such sentiments never come forward.” Caroline said.

“How?” James demanded. “I cannot control the future.”

“No, but you do control the papers.” Caroline pointed out. “Use them.”

Her husband sighed. “I suppose you are right. I shall speak with Bolingbroke on the morrow.”

Caroline smiled. “Good. I think this would be for everyone’s benefit.”

Chapter 262: Reform
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 262: Reform

October, 1740

It had taken years, but finally the King had agreed to consider electoral reform. Henry knew that he needed to find an appropriate solution to sate the King’s concerns, but at the same time, he knew they needed to work quickly, before Walpole or that idiot Wyndham did something that put the King off the idea for good. That was why he’d chosen two people to work with him on this project, two people who he knew could work quickly and smartly. John Leveson Gower, under-secretary for the Northern Department and John Hynde Cotton, a man who had worked in the treasury for a great many years. Both were fanatically loyal to the King, and both wanted a workable solution.

Henry took a breath and then said. “Our task is simple, gentlemen, we must devise a plan that will reform the electoral system and make it fairer whilst also not reducing the influence of the King.”

“Should be relatively easy then.” Cotton said sarcastically.

Henry ignored the comment and continued. “At present there are 600 seats in Parliament, with the majority being based in England. However, they are controlled by a variety of patrons, many of whom have signalled that they require favours for influencing their voters to vote for the Tories. This is unacceptable. If we are to have a Parliament that is elected, there must be a fairness to the system.”

Cotton spoke once more. “How are we to make the system fairer and retain the King’s influence? I do not know whether the two are compatible.”

Henry took a moment to think on what the man had said and then he replied. “If we extend the franchise to those who own at least £5 worth of property, that will bring in the lesser merchants and the small business owners who are traditionally the ones who levy the strongest support for the crown. The most recent election saw them speaking with the candidates who stood to the Crown’s line on a whole host of issues.”

“So, we extend the franchise to them, but that still means there are rotten seats. Places like Old Sarum which have three houses in them, but still return MPs compared with Manchester which is growing considerably, but only has one MP. How is that fair?” Cotton asked.

Gower spoke then. “We remove those boroughs and compensate their landlords with places at court, or with rich postings in the new world.”

“Would the King agree to that?” Cotton asked.

“I think His Majesty would agree if it removed some of the more troublesome landlords.” Henry said. Thinking of the Earl of Devonshire here, who controlled some six or seven rotten boroughs, and influenced countless more.

“But,” Cotton said. “Most of the landlords got their voters to vote Tory during the last election. Explaining to them that their services are now being rewarded by having their power taken away, will need something better than a desire to simply serve their King. They will want monetary compensation and power.”

“Then we shall give those lords who know how to read an explanation that will stir on their patriotism.” Henry said.

“How?” Cotton asked. “Are you going to start selling your book again?”

Henry laughed. His book, The Patriot King, had been written some time ago, but had never seen the light of day beyond the two men in this room. “No, but I am going to have Benjamin Franklin write a series of articles explaining the benefits of what we are proposing. People listen to Franklin; he’s got The Guardian’s readership up five-fold since he took over.”

“And you just know Devonshire will reply with in The Independent.” Gower said. “Though, that man doesn’t have the same sort of pulling power that his father did, so perhaps his effectiveness might be reduced.”

“Indeed.” Henry said. “However, it is no good having all of this in place when we do not have the outline for what we would do.”

Gower answered quickly. “Abolish the defunct rotten boroughs like Old Sarum, give more representation to places like Manchester, Edinburgh and Dublin. Extend the franchise to those who own at least £5 worth of property and are male and aged 21 or over.”

Henry looked at Cotton, waiting to see if the man had a protest to voice, when he did not, Henry nodded. “I shall have this written down and presented to the King at the next cabinet meeting. Good work gentlemen.”

Chapter 263: The End of Ansbach
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 263: The End of Ansbach

December, 1740

Caroline bit back a cough and felt her chest constrict around her, forcing her to splutter for air. The disease had snuck up on her over the past few months, and by the time she’d realised something was wrong, it was too late. There was nothing the doctors could do, and so here she was. On her deathbed and awaiting the end of time. Her family was all around her, her sons and the one daughter who had not married yet. Her husband was to her right, holding her hand.

“Charles.” She rasped.

“I’m here, Mother.” Her youngest son said.

Caroline looked at him and saw his shock of hair and smiled. “You are the sweetest of our sons, and you will make a fantastic scientist, remember to always look out for your brothers, for they will not always take the time to think after their own wellbeing.”

“I will, Mother.” Charles said, kissing her brow before moving back into the crowd.

Caroline coughed then, and took the cup of water her husband offered her. She downed it in a few gulps and then handed him the cup back. “Charlotte.” She called.

Her youngest daughter stepped forward then. “Mother?”

Charlotte was the child who looked the most like her, and was the most like her, her husband to be would be a very lucky man. “Be kind and be smart, as you always are, my dear. I know you face a challenge, but you will overcome it.”

“I will, Mother.” Charlotte said, kissing her brow.

Her second son, James, Duke of Cambridge stepped forward then. “Ah, James, my darling boy. We both know that there are troubles ahead for you. Beauclerk is returning, and soon so shall temptation. Do what you must to avoid him, even if it pains you. And make sure never to leave your wife alone for more than a few moments in this place.”

Her second son looked as if he were about to cry, but instead he swallowed and said. “I promise to do what I can, Mother.”

“And make sure to look out for your brothers and sister. You know how it is.” Caroline said, winking at him.

Her son laughed and then kissed her left hand before stepping back. Caroline felt another coughing fit coming, so she took a deep breath and waited, when it came she knew the end was close. But there was still much she needed to say, so she held off for the time being, though her eyes were heavy.

“George….” She called out. She felt her eldest son take her left hand. She tried to turn her head to look at him, but it was too painful to do so, so instead she looked straight ahead. “My darling George, you are the heir, the choice of the future stands before you. Make sure to work with your father through everything that comes. Make sure to be a good husband and father. And always remember your good heart.”

Her son said nothing for a moment, and then he whispered. “I promise I will remember, Mother.”

“Good.” Caroline replied. She knew her time was right ahead. She could feel death’s hands on her shoulder. She inhaled deeply and coughed as she breathed out. She blinked and then whispered. “I love you, dearest husband of mine. I love you all, and it pains me to know I won’t be here anymore. But know that I love you all very much.”

“We love you very much as well, my love.” Her husband said, she knew her children wouldn’t be able to hear it, but she could, she could hear the slight shake in her husband’s voice.

“I am tired now. I will rest.” Caroline said.

“Rest, my love. You have earned it.” her husband replied.

Caroline smiled, and was about to make a remark, but then her eyes closed and she could feel the embrace of the end come over her. Knowing as she did that the future was secure, she let it come over her and then she slipped into the void.

Chapter 264: Reform
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 264: Reform

March, 1741

Two months since Caroline had died, two months since they had buried her with great pomp and ceremony in Westminster Abbey, two months since the light had gone out in his life. Oh, his grandchildren were constant sources of love and amusement, but they could not fill the hole his wife had left. James often found himself wondering when the end would come and if it could come quickly. Still, there were many things that needed sorting out and he could not go just yet.

He looked at the Duke of Bolingbroke and said. “You have clarified the parts of the Reform Act that you wished to clarify, we trust.”

“Of course, Sire.” Bolingbroke said.

“Then let us hear them.” James said.

Bolingbroke took a moment and then said. “Per Your Majesty’s approval, the Reform Act shall abolish all Rotten Boroughs, and add representation to places such as Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow which are currently underrepresented. Furthermore, the Act shall extend the vote to all men aged 21 and over who own £5 worth of property or more. This is applicable throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britannia.”

James nodded. “Are there any objections?”

As expected, Robert Walpole spoke then. “Sire, the only concern I have is that in extending the franchise, we make it harder for our party to succeed in elections. If every person who owns property is able to vote, how do we know they will vote for the Crown’s interests?”

“Because those voters on the lower end of the ownership spectrum have been shown to have the same views as the Crown.” James said. “Your own searches into this have shown that, Robert.”

Walpole said nothing then, he merely bowed his head. “Any other concerns?” James asked, when nobody replied he said. “Very well, then we deem this Act to be accepted by the Crown and thus instruct that it be placed before Parliament at the earliest moment.”

“Sire.” Bolingbroke said.

Relieved that that issue was taken care of, James then said. “Now, our son Charles shall soon be marrying the sister of the Duke of Courland, and as part of the renewal of our alliance with Russia, the Tsar has promised better trade agreements. Sir Watkins, what has the man said exactly?”

Sir Watkins William Wynn, First Lord of Trade and a keen negotiator, spoke then. “He has agreed to increase Britannic trade by 10%, Sire. He has also agreed to give us more favourable terms in trading with Russian subjects in the southern regions of the Russian Kingdom, compared to the terms the Dutch have received.”

James nodded approvingly. “Good. Now the case remains to be seen whether the man stands true to such a measure. His father was noticeably keen to change his mood.”

“The Tsar has proven more reliable than his father was, Sire.” Sir Watkins said. “He has held his end of the arrangement to the letter, so far.”

James grinned. “Of course he has, we’ve been providing him with information about his neighbours for years now. He would be a fool not to.” Sensing Sir Watkins had more he wanted to say, but also feeling a pain in his head, James continued. “Regardless, the matter is solved now, so, we must move on. What other news is there?”

Here, Walpole spoke after a quick glance to Bolingbroke. “We have received word from the Colonies, Sire. It seems the French are pushing past the boundaries once more. Lord Clarendon has sent word to the French governor demanding an explanation, but has yet received no reply.”

“How many incursions have occurred?” James asked.

“At Clarendon’s last letter, eight.” Walpole said.

“Eight?!” James exclaimed. “And you are only now seeing fit to inform us.”

“My apologies, Sire, but the issue has only become a major concern now.” Walpole said.

James looked at the man and wondered if he was losing his touch. “So, what do you propose?”

“I would propose that we send an extra three brigades to the new world. From there Lord Clarendon can decide where they would best be served.” Walpole said.

James looked at his friend and the Commander in Chief of the Forces, John Churchill 2nd Duke of Marlborough and the man said. “I think that would be best, Sire. Three brigades are manageable. We control the waves, so it is not like the French would dare try and attack our ships.”

“Who would you recommend command these brigades?” James asked.

“I would recommend Brigadier Cobham, Sire.” Marlborough replied. “He has the understanding of the colonies and he also is in need of some active service.”

“Very well. We shall allow you to address him.” James said. The pain in his head was getting worse. He stood then. “You are all dismissed.” He stalked his way back to his chambers, took a deep drink from his cup of wine, closed his eyes and fell back onto bed. Maybe a good sleep would make the pain go away.

Chapter 265: A New Horizon
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 265: A New Horizon

March, 1741

“So, you see, the issue I’ve got with Hume is that he pontificates about a lot of things but he never actually addresses the core issue at the heart of his papers.” George said referring to the recently released A Treatise of Human Nature that both he and Anne had read.

“Don’t you think that he can’t address it because there’s no clear answer to it all?” Anne asked. Her English having gotten markedly better over the years. “After all, how are we to know just what human nature is when there are so many variables that go into sorting the matter out?”

George bit back a groan. “You’re not one of those people are you, my love?”

“One of what people?” Anne asked, smiling.

“The sort of person who thinks that human nature is shaped by the environment around us and not inbuilt within us.” George said.

“Are you of the opposite persuasion then, my love?” Anne asked.

“Yes.” George said.

“Why?” Anne asked.

“Beauclerk.” George said simply. “We have exiled him countless times and every time he returns he is the same person. Manipulative, cheeky and a snake.”

“And what of James?” Anne asked. “He is not the same when Beauclerk is away.”

Almost immediately, George regretted bringing up Beauclerk. He struggled to find the right words, but eventually said. “James was and is a good person, he is kind and caring. It is just that he has always been charmed by shiny things. Being the spare. And Beauclerk knows how to show off the shiny things he has. Or rather, the shiny things that he has borrowed from his brother. As such, it is necessary to keep them separated from one another.”

Thankfully, Anne didn’t push the subject and instead asked. “How do you propose to do that? The King has said that he cannot keep Beauclerk away in Ireland for much longer without insulting the Duke of St Albans.”

“If I had my way I’d send him off to the New World with the army being gathered for Brigadier Cobham.” George said.

“And make him return a war hero?” Anne asked.

George sighed. “I highly doubt that he would return a hero. The man hates fighting.”

“So, why send him off to war?” Anne asked.

“So, that he might die.” George said simply.

Before his wife could reply, there was a knock on the door, and a servant entered. “Your Royal Highnesses, forgive the interruption, but you are needed immediately in the King’s chamber.”

George got up and helped Anne stand. “Both of us?” He asked, wondering what could be so important that his father would summon the both of them.

“Yes, Your Royal Highness.” The servant said. He bowed and then hurried out of the room.

George looked at Anne and then led the way. They walked out of their rooms, down the hallway, turned right and then left, and then found a guard standing there looking rather scared. “What’s the matter?” George demanded.

“Your Royal Highness, I….I heard a thump and entered and well…” the guard said before George pushed passed him.

Anne followed and she gasped and hurried to the King. He was lying on the floor blood pooling near his head. George went to him then and knelt down. “Your Majesty. Father?”

His father did not respond, Anne pressed two fingers to his neck and then looked at him. “He’s not breathing, George.”

George looked at her and then at his father and then roared. “Get the doctor!”

He heard hurried footsteps outside and then he looked back at his wife and asked. “What should we do?”

“I think we need to wait for the doctor.” Anne said, she was remarkably calm, and to his shame, George had to admit he was panicking more than he should.

Eventually, the door opened and Doctor Strange entered. He bowed and then asked. “What has happened, Your Royal Highnesses?”

“The King seems to have fallen and hit his head.” George said. “He’s not breathing.”

The doctor nodded and moved toward them, he knelt by the King’s head and felt it. “He’s very hot.”

George said nothing, but moved when asked to by the Doctor. He watched as the man put his fingers on the King’s neck and chin and then opened one eye. George moved to stand next to Anne, and held her as she gasped when the eye was open. It was completely bloodshot. After a few moments, the doctor stopped and then turned to them. “His Majesty suffered some sort of attack.”

“Will he recover?” Anne asked, for George found he could not speak.

The Doctor shook his head. “He is dead.”

Anne turned to look at him then and he looked back at her. “The King is dead.”

There was movement which made them look back at the Doctor, he was kneeling before George. “Long Live the King.”

Shit. Was all George could think.

The King is dead, Long Live The King.
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    James_Fitz-James,_primer_duque_de_Berwick_(Museo_del_Prado).jpg

King James III of the United Kingdom of Great Britannia (b.1687: d.1741) reigned 1714-1741.

Chapter 266: Anne
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 266: Anne

March, 1741

Anne took one look at her husband, saw how haunted his eyes were and she immediately got up and hugged him. Her husband grunted slightly and then asked. “What’s that for?”

“For being brave.” Anne said looking up at him.

“Brave?” George asked his eyebrows raised.

“For going on as if nothing is the matter, despite the fact that everything is the matter. I know how much you’re hurting my love.” Anne said.

George grunted. “I’m simply doing what needs to be done.”

“I know, my love. Come, have a seat.” Anne said, moving back and taking her husband’s hand and leading him to the sofa. They both sat down and then Anne asked. “How are you feeling?”

Her husband looked at her in surprise, and she expected some sort of sarcastic response, but instead he simply said. “I feel as though I’ve been hit by a cannon ball. My mother died, and then father died so soon after. I’m an orphan. But I need to make sure my family is well looked after. Charlotte needs to get married soon, as does Charles. They can’t see their older brother break down. And the court needs me to be strong, and the family needs me to be strong.” Her husband’s voice broke then and tears started forming in his eyes. Anne held onto his hand and squeezed. “All I want to do is go to sleep for a while. I don’t want to have to focus on anything. I don’t want to talk about funeral arrangements or about what music needs to be played. I don’t want to talk about a campaign strategy for the elections, or about how many men we need to kill Frenchmen. I just want to sleep.”

The tears fell freely then, and Anne pulled her husband to her and held him as he cried. As he did so, she whispered. “You’re being so strong, George, it’s okay to let it out now. It’s just you and me, nobody else. Let it out.” Her husband cried and cried, and Anne could hear her mother chastising her for allowing this, but her mother could in the words of many a Londoner, go fuck herself. This was her husband and she would comfort him however she could.

Eventually, George stopped crying he pulled himself back, wiped his eyes and apologised. “I’m sorry about that, Anne, now your dress is damp.”

Anne waved it away. “It’s fine, you needed that.”

George looked at her and said. “What I need is you.”

Anne felt a stirring in her then, but ignored it and instead asked. “How did the cabinet meeting go?”

George groaned which made her smile, she knew how much he hated Cabinet. “Fine, I guess. We agreed that in the next Parliament the reform bill would be put to both houses. The current election will be held using the old system. I also told Walpole that he was being retired and would be raised to a peerage.”

Anne knew her husband had not liked Walpole for a long time, seeing him as far too reactive and not active enough. “How did he take that?”

“I think he was relieved, he looked as if he wanted to kiss me.” George said laughing. “He’s going to be Earl of Orford; the writ is being written as we speak.”

“And what of Bolingbroke?” Anne asked. She knew her husband wanted to replace the man as well, seeing him as a relic of a forgotten age.

“Bolingbroke has agreed to retire as long as he can speak about the reform bill in the Lords.” George said. “I agreed.”

“Are you sure?” Anne asked. “I know you don’t like him, but perhaps it could be useful to keep him around, just in case.”

George shook his head. “No, he needs to go. I don’t want so many old people in charge and running things.”

“So, Walpole and Bolingbroke gone. Who else?” Anne asked.

“Wade is being promoted to General and being replaced as Master General of the Ordinance. I’m putting Blandford in that role.” George said.

Anne didn’t say anything immediately, James Churchill, Marquess of Blandford was her husband’s closest friend and someone he’d gone to war with, but Anne also knew he had a slightly chequered past, and that was something she was concerned about. “Okay.” Anne said in response.

“I’m also naming the Earl of Tinmouth as Paymaster of the Forces.” George said. Anne nodded slightly relieved at that, Tinmouth had a good head on his shoulders.

“And what about the roles which Bolingbroke and Walpole once held, who will hold those?” Anne asked, though she suspected she knew the answer.

“Wyndham will become Secretary of State for the Southern Department, as for the department he once held, I shall wait and see what happens with the elections.” George said.

“So, you will go with the balanced government?” Anne asked. It had been a discussion she and her husband had had many times over the years, and she wasn’t surprised he was considering it now.

“I might do, but I am not completely sure, just yet. I will wait and see.” George said simply.

Anne didn’t say anything, instead she merely nodded. They sat in silence for a time, and Anne found herself wondering what the future would hold. For the longest time she had thought the King and Queen were invincible and that they would live forever, and now in the space of a few short months both were dead. She and her husband were the new monarchs and there would be a lot for them to try and achieve. She looked at George and he looked at her and then he whispered. “We’ll get through this, you and I, we’ll make it work.”

Anne smiled. “I know we will.”

Chapter 267: Louis D'Or
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 267: Louis D’Or

August, 1741

“Sire, I have assessed the taxation collected in the last five financial years and have concluded that we will need to change our priorities for the next financial year.” Philibert Orry, the Controller General of Finances said.

“Where would you recommend we change our focus to?” Louis asked.

“We have been focusing on the domestic industries and have seen growth, but we are still short of completely out competing the British in terms of financial might.” Orry responded. “Therefore, I would recommend we concentrate on the nobility.”

“That will require a give and take.” Louis said. “We cannot just immediately demand that they pay more in taxation, they will want something in return.” He suspected he knew what they would want, they would want more power in government, maybe even a bit of decentralisation and he was not willing to go through with that.

“I believe we can find a solution without having to compromise, Sire.” Orry said.

“Go on.” Louis commanded.

“Right now the merchant classes are growing in strength, the peace over the past few years has seen trade grow within the colonies. Furthermore, the native industries continue to prosper, and we are seeing some benefit from our relationship with the Emperor of India. Consequently, if we were to meet with the merchants and promise more royal patronage in return for their support against any attempted noble disturbances, I think that would be of benefit. Money talks after all.” Orry replied.

Louis mulled the proposal over. “So, you are suggesting we pit the two classes against one another. The nobles have far more financial offerings to give, but the merchants are the ones hefting the burden right now. Promise them the support of the crown against any overbearing noble, and they will turn against said nobles?” He thought that would be a delish sense of irony, especially if it undermined his cousin Orleans. “How much would you propose we raise the taxation by?”

“I would recommend starting on a five percent tax on the nobility.” Orry said.

Louis considered it and then said. “Very well, we agree. Start it out with a small group and let us see what happens from there.”

Orry nodded and made a note, Louis then turned to his foreign minister and said. “You stated you had had word from the ambassador in London.”

“I do, Sire.” Chaillou replied. “The new King has had his coronation and has held elections. He has appointed a new ministry which is a mixture of old hands and new blood. He has followed through on his father’s desire for reform of their Parliament and has also sent through a force under the command of one Brigadier Cobham to the new world.”

Louis nodded, he did not understand the British and their obsession with Parliament. Surely it would be better to abolish the thing, not reform it. And then there was this whole business with the New World. “Our men are making preparations are they not?”

“They are, Sire. They know to expect an attack at any moment.” Chaillou replied.

“Good.” Louis said. “We must see whether this new King follows the path of peace as his father did or whether he will look for war where there is none.” On that note, he turned to his naval minister and asked. “What progress has been made on the development of the new ships?” He had found it humiliating how the Kingdom of Britannia had so easily bypassed the French channel fleet, and the seas fleet was nothing to be proud of either. He desperately wanted to take the naval advantage back.

Maurepas replied then. “We have got ten ships built under the new design, Sire. They are faster and able to carry enough guns to match the current ships used by the British. We will need an extra four months to develop another forty ships.”

Whilst that was not ideal, it was certainly better than he had originally hoped for, and therefore he said. “Very well, you shall have the funds needed at your disposal.”

“Thank you, Sire.” Maurepas said.

Louis nodded, and then added. “We are at peace now, but there will come a time when war might well seem likely. The current Duke of Calabria has no children and looks highly unlikely to ever have them. His brother is currently Duke of Parma, should he ascend to the throne of Naples, one can expect the Austrians to demand something if they do not go to war. Therefore, we must be prepared for it. We want the army and the navy regularly training and alert.”

“Sire.” Came the response.

Last edited:
    Chapter 268: Tsarevich
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 268: Tsarevich

November, 1741

There was a knock on the door, and Peter groaned. “Go away.” He mumbled. The knocking got louder. “Go away!” He mumbled again, the knocking didn’t stop. Peter groaned, swore and then got up. He moved to the door and opened it. “What?!” He barked.

The guard remarkably didn’t flinch or even blink. “His Imperial Majesty wishes to see you, Your Imperial and Royal Highness.”

“Tell him I’m busy.” Peter said, he went to turn around and go back to bed, when the guard spoke again.

“His Imperial Majesty has commanded you to attend him.” The guard said.

Peter stared at the guard, he knew then that there would be no point protesting, his father would no doubt send the Imperial Guard to get him if he didn’t come now. This guy was just some palace guard who’d been sent. Peter sighed. “Very well, I am coming.” He turned around, put on a shirt and washed his mouth before walking out with the guard. He would need something to drink, his head hurt. Maybe he’d gone a bit too hard last night, though Varvara had assured him it would be okay, but then his wife was a bit of an idiot.

It didn’t take them long to get to the Tsar’s quarters, where the guards bowed their heads. The guard who had accompanied him, knocked on the door and announced him, then Peter walked through. The Tsar was sat before the fire reading something or the other. “Sit down.” The man commanded.

Peter did as he was bid, the chair was uncomfortable, but faced the Tsar, so he’d get to see how disappointed his father was in him. “You did not attend the council meeting this morning.” It was not a question but a statement.

“I didn’t see the point of doing so.” Peter said.

“Did you read the papers?” The Tsar asked.

“I did.” Peter said.

“And?” The Tsar demanded.

“I think the foreign minister is wrong about Sweden. The King is more content to play with his toys and his wife than with any desire for war. Poland has no desire to break up Prussia either. Therefore, I think he is severly overestimating the threat of war. If anything we should be talking with the Poles about an alliance against the Turks.” Peter said.

“You still consider the Turks a threat?” The Tsar asked.

“Yes. Their new Sultan is trying to bring about reforms on the model that we ourselves have used. We need to act now before they succeed.” Peter said.

The Tsar said nothing for a moment, but he did put down his papers and looked at Peter. “And the financial discussions.”

“I think we need raise taxes higher than the finance minister proposed. We can’t develop the roads we need if we keep them at only 5-10% of the current rate.” Peter said.

Something that looked like a smile crossed the Tsar’s face, though his next words were serious. “You are smart, Peter, you shouldn’t do yourself a disservice by not attending council meetings.”

Peter snorted. “With due respect Your Imperial Majesty, if I wanted to listen to a bunch of old men waffle on about things with no end in sight, I’d listen to Boris the Bear talk about how things were done during Grandfather’s reign.”

The Tsar actually grinned then and Peter counted it as a victory. “Very well, but you are not spending your days properly. Who is your latest conquest? The Danish ambassador’s wife? That is not appropriate for a Prince.”

Peter suppressed a grin, he knew his father disliked the Danish ambassador. “I think it is highly appropriate. I’ve learned more from her than I have from the ambassador.”

“Such as?” The Tsar asked.

“Like the fact that Danish women are insanely good in bed, and the fact that her husband is a buffoon who listens to her more than he does his own King.” Peter said.

The Tsar truly looked as if he were going to laugh then, but instead he simply said. “Your wife would not be impressed with your carryings on, if she knew the full extent of them. Which is why we are sending you both on a mission.”

“Where?” Peter asked, with a hint of nervousness.

“To Moldavia.” The Tsar said.

“Why?” Peter asked, his uncle was the Prince there and had managed to bring the unruly provinces under his control for now, surely?

“We wish for you to explore our allies realms and to understand their strengths and weaknesses.” The Tsar said simply.

Peter wanted to protest, but instead he asked. “When do you want me to leave?”

“By week’s end.” The Tsar commanded. All Peter could do was bow and then wait to be dismissed.

Chapter 269: Cobham
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 269: Cobham

February, 1742

Brigadier General Richard Cobham, 1st Viscount Cobham scratched his chin. The new world was a damned sight worse than London, there were all types of people here, especially in New York the capital of the colony. Filled with all the low lifes who would never make an honest living in London and yet had somehow managed to find a way to do well here. He envied them. He was ashamed to admit it, but he did. His career had been going so well as a young man, he’d gotten the favour of Walpole and Marlborough during the reign of Queen Anne, fought well during the Eight Years War and the Spanish War, and risen to the rank of colonel, then he’d been raised to the rank of Brigadier in 1720, and then something had happened. He’d spoken out in Parliament against Walpole’s financial reforms and the promotions had stopped coming. For the last twenty-two years, he’d been stuck as a Brigadier whilst those like the current Duke of Marlborough had been made Field Marshal. It frustrated him.

Eventually, he had come to terms with the fact that his influence was over, militarily at least. He’d settled into his political career and through his contacts at court had been able to provide patronage to various newcomers. William Pitt was now a junior minister in the Northern Ministry and the boy had a flair for it, he’d soon be a senior minister, Richard could tell. George Grenville was also another one, he was in the Treasury and he’d make a great first minister when the time came. So, it had not been for naught. Richard knew he could get the final promotions he needed and then retire into comfort. That was what he hoped for anyway.

He cleared his throat and spoke. “I’ve had a look at the garrison force that you asked me to, Lord Governor and I have to say I am not impressed.”

“Brigadier?” Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, Governor of New York and cousin to the King asked.

“The state of equipment is four years out of date, the state of the men is futile and their morale is lacking. How have they been trained? Who has been instructing them in how to fight and how not to?” Richard demanded.

“Major General Lewisham, Brigadier.” Hyde said.

“Lewisham is an idiot then.” Cobham said. “He is using materials which were last used in Europe five years ago. A change is needed.”

“So, what would you recommend?” Hyde asked.

“I would recommend using the weapons that have been brought from London, and beginning training of the garrison and any and all willing men of age.” Cobham said. “The French might have stopped their raids but they will not hold to peace for long. Not if they knew just how weak we were.”

“And how would you recommend we pay for this?” Hyde asked. “Weapons are there, but training and outfitting the men will cost money. Money that we do not have.”

Cobham looked at Hyde in surprise and said. “By getting the assembly to fund it.”

Hyde laughed. “Sir, this is not London.”

“What do you mean?” Cobham demanded.

“The assembly is a lot less willing to just vote for things that they see no need for. The French have stopped harrying us for now, and therefore they will argue that the need for an expanded military force is not there anymore. As such they will want to focus on other issues, such as which paper has printed something that is true but they consider a half truth.” Hyde said.

Cobham looked at the man and asked. “You cannot be serious. They cannot be so half hearted as to think that the French will just stop?”

“They are, Brigadier. The French have been doing this for many years now. Lulling us into a false sense of security. Raiding for a few months, maybe a year, and then stopping for three, allowing people to forget before starting up again.” Hyde said.

“So, why has nobody said or done anything about it?” Richard demanded.

Hyde sighed, as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders. “Because people are foolish. They would rather argue over petty grievances than fix something that would become a problem in the long term. Unless the French invade with a large force, nothing will get done.”

Richard thought quickly then. He knew that the King had given him orders and he knew he needed to fix this situation as quickly as possible. And then the solution presented itself to him. “Summon the assembly, Governor. Give me an hour to speak with them. I will convince them of the worthiness of what I am proposing.”

“And how will you do that?” Edward Hyde asked.

Richard smiled. “By giving them a demonstration.”

Chapter 270: Cyrus
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 270: Cyrus

May, 1742

Tahmasp, Shah of Iran scratched his chin and then said. “For years now we have trained and prepared our people for any outcome. They have undergone some severe conditions, we wish to know if it has all been worth it.”

Rajab Ali Khan, the Grand Vizier spoke. “Sire, I have two documents here which prove that the sacrifices made by the people have been worthwhile. One document speaks of the increase in value of our coinage which ensures that it has more purchasing power, and the other speaks of good harvests.”

“Excellent, now the question is how do we ensure that the people can see this as a tangible benefit.” Tahmasp mused. He remembered how his father had been overthrown and killed due to not being able to present anything as a stringent benefit to the people. He wanted to avoid that fate.

“Well, the way I view it Sire, there are two ways we can approach this.” Rajab said.

“And those are?” Tahmasp asked.

“The first way is through demonstrating the changes that have come from the improvements to the military. Military might will show the people that we are a Kingdom to be taken seriously, and it will also ensure the tribes do not forget where their authority comes from.” Rajab said.

“And the second?” Tahmasp asked.

“The second way is to invest in roads and other systems that will bring long term benefits to the people, it will be costly, but it will be worthwhile.” Rajab said.

Tahmasp thought for a moment and then said. “We do not want to display our army as if it is some sort of play thing, therefore we wish for the reforms of the roads and the sewage systems to begin, and for the drainage systems to be improved.”

“Sire.” Rajab said.

Tahmasp then turned to Nader Afshar, the one concession he’d had to make upon his ascension to the throne over his father’s corpse. The appointment of this man as his chief of military. The man was a bit of a brute, but he got things done. “Well Nader, how are things progressing with the military?”

Afshar didn’t speak for a moment, he was not one given to speaking in large bursts, but in small sharp sentences. Therefore, Tahmasp knew he’d be carefully considering every word he was to say before he spoke. Eventually, the man said. “Good, Sire. The instructions we have received from the Russian ambassador has been most useful and the financing from the Austrians has been put to good use. I am confident that should a war break out between us and the Ottomans we would win.”

“And do you think such a thing is likely? War, that is.” Tahmasp asked.

“I think that given what we know about the Sultan it would be foolish not to think such a thing might happen.” Nader replied.

Tahmasp nodded, he had heard whispers that the Sultan had himself instituted reforms of his army and as such was looking to regain some lost prestige, whether that would mean going into Europe, or coming back to Arabia, Tahmasp did not know. “And what about Afghanistan? Could we reclaim those lands we lost to the Indians?”

Here Nader’s face contorted slightly as if he was considering something unpleasant. “I think that we could. And unlike with the Ottomans we would not need to look for an excuse to mobilise. We have it already in the persecution they are putting our fellow Muslims under in Kabul.”

Tahmasp considered this and then said. “Mobilise a small force. And move it to the border. Let us see how the Indians respond.”

“Sire.” Nader said.

Chapter 271: The Cambridges
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 271: The Cambridges

August, 1742

“And then Wyndham tells George about what Brigadier Cobham did to the New York Assembly, and everyone else’s jaw has dropped to the floor, but George just sits there quietly for a minute before then asking ‘And did he get the result he wanted?’ And Wyndham has to hurriedly say that yes he did, but that the representatives now want him gone.” James, Duke of Cambridge said to his wife Philippine.

Philippine laughed with her husband and then asked. “And then what happened?”

“And then, George looks at Wyndham and says ‘I don’t want him gone, I want him promoted. Promoted to the rank of full General.’ So, of course Marlborough has to rush to draft the papers and send them off, all the while he’s muttering about the irregularity of this and how Cobham would’ve been done for insubordination under Father. But he gets it done.” James said.

Philippine smiled. “You seem happy about that.”

Her husband grinned. “I am. Marlborough’s a stiff-necked idiot, he needed something to shake him out of his comfort zone, and what Cobham did was smart and quick thinking. It showed the colonies that we won’t take their inaction lying down.”

Philippine nodded, she knew her husband had briefly considered being asked to be sent to the Colonies with the army, but had decided against it after learning that was where George Beauclerk was to be stationed in his commission with the army. She was happy her family had decided to take her concerns about Beauclerk seriously, and it seemed her husband had as well. She blinked when she felt her husband take her hand in his. “What are you thinking about?” He asked her.

“Just how wonderful it is to be here, with you.” Philippine answered honestly. Their relationship had changed quite a bit over the decade they’d been married. At first they’d been uncertain about one another, and then when the children had been born something had changed, and James had stopped trying to stay with Beauclerk.

“It is, isn’t it? Away from everything else at court, this is nice. And the children seem to be enjoying it.” James said.

Philippine smiled and replied. “Caroline came up to me today, and told me that she didn’t approve of something one of her ladies had said. And when I asked her what they’d said,” here Philippine did her best to mimic the Britannic accent, which drew a laugh from her husband. “It is highly unseemly for two girls of your age to be frolicking about as if they are mere girls, Princess, you are almost a maiden flowered, you must behave like it.”

When he was done laughing, her husband asked. “Did she say who the lady was?”

Philippine shook her head. “Only that she’d given the woman a right telling off.”

“Good.” James replied. “Talking like that to a girl, let alone a Princess is unacceptable. She’s a child still, not a brood mare.”

Philippine hummed her agreement. She knew that here as in France, girls were seen as little more than bodies for future heirs, but at least her husband had some sense. That he wanted more for their daughter than to just be another brood mare was always going to be a good thing in her eyes. “Though there is a point here. Caroline is eleven, soon enough people are going to want to discuss a marriage for her.”

James waved a hand dismissively. “No they’re not. George has daughters of a similar age; they’re going to be the main focus. Which means we get to decide who are our daughter marries.”

Philippine hadn’t considered that, she’d always assumed that the King would make the choice, as he did in France. But, she much preferred this system, at least this way she could ensure her daughter actually knew the person she was to marry. “So, have you considered anyone?” She asked of her husband.

James shook his head. “No, I was going to wait until Caroline was older, and then we could sit down and discuss it properly.”

Philippine smiled. “I think that is a great idea.”

Chapter 272: The Sun Sets
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 272: The Sun Sets

December, 1742

Shahu coughed, the end was approaching, the Pundit was nearby waiting and yet he still clung on. The stubbornness which had seen him consolidate the gains his father had made ensured that he stayed on now. Right until the end. He looked at the people before him and saw his wife, he smiled at her and felt her take his hand. He looked at his daughter and her children, and at his son’s children and even his son’s grandchildren and smiled. The dynasty was completely secure.

“Baji Rao.” He said in a whisper.

“I am here, Sire.” His chief servant said.

“Where is our son?” He asked.

“His Imperial Highness is coming, Sire. He should be here soon.” Baji Rao replied.

Shahu nodded, the moment he’d felt the pangs of death clawing their way toward him he had sent letters and riders to his son in Kabul. “What is the situation of the Empire?” He asked.

“Surely this is not the time for that?!” His wife asked.

“An Emperor can never rest.” Shahu retorted. “Baji Rao, we asked you a question.”

His Peshwa replied. “Sire, the Empire is secure. In the south the Princes do their homage, in the north the Sikhs have kept the peace, and in the east the Bengalis continue to push the Ahoms.”

“And in Kabul?” He asked.

“The Afghans keep the peace also, Sire. Though they continue to report that the Persians refuse to acknowledge the peace.” Baji Rao said.

“So Shiva shall have another problem to handle when he ascends the throne.” Shahu said more to himself than anything, but still, his son was capable, of that was sure. His son had fought in wars and had handled the Afghans with great strength and pleasantness, furthermore, his son Shah was a good man with a solid head on his shoulders.

Shahu looked at his Peshwa and said. “You will be there to advise him of course.”

“Of course, Sire.” Baji Rao replied bowing his head.

“And your wife? How is she?” Shahu asked. He remembered the controversy that had ensued when his Peshwa had married a Muslim woman, his family had tried to throw him out or some such. It had taken Shahu’s own intervention to prevent such nonsense from happening.

“She is well, Sire. She is resting.” Baji Rao replied.

“Good.” Shahu said.

There was a commotion outside his room, and he heard someone shout, he recognised the voice but wasn’t sure who it was. “Krishna go and see who it is.” He commanded his daughter, she got up and hurried to the door, just as she got there, it flew open, and a voice he recognised as his son’s said.

“I am here, Father. I am here.”

His son came and knelt next to him. “What took you so long?” Shahu asked chidingly.

“I am sorry Father, I had some business to attend to.” His son replied.

Shahu snorted and coughed as a result. “Good, now that you are here we can end this all.”

He cleared his throat, coughed and then spoke. “I inherited an Empire that was strong but on shaky ground. Now I believe that the empire has strengthened and solidified. It would take immense stupidity for it to fall now. However, we cannot predict the future, therefore I trust that all of you gathered here before me will do what needs to be done to protect the Empire. to assist the new Emperor in his duties and to protect the family from foreign threats. You all know what needs to be done, now swear that you will.”

“We will!” Was the response.

“Good.” Shahu replied, he closed his eyes, and dreamed of paradise. Slowly but surely he felt peace envelop him, whatever would be would be, it was not his problem now.

Chapter 273: Calabria
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 273: Calabria

March, 1743

Ferdinand looked at the papers spread out before him and sighed. “I hate doing this.” He complained. “It’s so tedious and everyone knows that nothing will get done unless the Queen agrees to it. So, I don’t understand why we have to do this.” Ferdinand knew he sounded like a child but it was true.

“Because the King wants to know if you are capable or not.” His wife Barbara said.

“Capable of what? Nodding my head?” Ferdinand demanded.

“No, of forming your own opinions.” Barbara said.

Ferdinand rubbed a hand over his face and groaned. “And yet he never fucking listens to any of them.”

“And you know why that is.” Barbara said.

“Because of my whore of a step-mother?” Ferdinand asked.

“No,” Barbara replied hitting his arm. “Because you’re never forceful enough. You’re the Duke of Calabria, the heir apparent to the throne, have some backbone, and stand your ground.”

“And then what? We both know he will just listen to her, and not to me.” Ferdinand said. “I’m not Louis, I can’t force him to listen to me.” His older brother had always known how to deal with their father and with their step-mother, indeed Ferdinand was half convinced that was why Louis was dead and he wasn’t.

“Then you go to his ministers and you put forward your proposals to them. You go to the Count and to the Archbishop, and they will put the idea forward to the King. The King will not go against a man of God.” Barbara said.

Ferdinand wanted to protest, but he knew his wife was right, and therefore he simply sighed and mumbled. “Why do you always have to be right?”

His wife grinned and kissed his cheek. “What are wives for if not that?”

Ferdinand laughed and then turned sombre again. “They’re talking about marrying Felipe off to some Spanish woman to secure the backing of the Spanish King for when Felipe becomes Duke of Parma.” There was no point denying it, Barbara could have no children, not after the last miscarriage and so Carlo was his heir, and thus Felipe was Carlo’s heir.

“That’s not good.” Barbara said. “He should be wed to a French Princess to secure that alliance.”

Ferdinand nodded. “I know, but the Queen is convinced that a Spanish Princess is the right person for him. I’ll have to wait and then make my own plans. Father doesn’t want Felipe married just yet.” Well that wasn’t quite true, Father didn’t think Felipe was ready for marriage, and if he were being honest, Ferdinand agreed with him. His brother spent most of his time whoring and drinking, he could barely stand most of the time, let alone do anything with a bride.

“Well, perhaps that can be another thing you speak about with the Archbishop.” Barbara said.

Ferdinand didn’t say anything immediately, he merely thought on it. His wife made sense. The Archbishop had a lot of influence over his father, almost as much as the Queen did, perhaps that might be enough to sway things toward his line of thinking, perhaps not. Ferdinand took a deep breath and wished that the indecision that had plagued him his whole life would just fuck off for once, but instead it nestled within him and stuck a finger up at him. It forced him to sigh and say. “Perhaps.”

A moment ofthanks
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Just wanted to say as it's been two years since I started this timeline, thank you to all of you, old readers and new readers, the ones who turn up and comment and the ones who turn up and leave a like and to the silent readers. Thank you very much, I hope you continue to enjoy this journey we're all on.

Chapter 274: Dauphin
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 274: Dauphin

June, 1743

Louis, Dauphin of France took a sip of wine and then said. “You know I don’t understand why we aren’t doing more to deal with the British in the New World. They are humiliating us there. Their man General Cobham defeated a force twice the size of his during the raids.”

His brother Louis, Duke of Anjou nodded. “I agree, I think we’re not focusing enough there, and instead are too busy trying to keep Uncle Philippe from making a mistake in Naples.”

“Uncle Philippe is a fool.” Louis said. He’d read the correspondence between his father and his uncle and that was the only impression he got. “We can’t keep propping him up with loans and the like, it will make us go bankrupt.”

“But then, what are we to do?” His brother asked. “We do not have the naval power to take on the British, not without diverting some of the funds from the army.”

Louis grimaced, removing funds from the army was never a good thing. It would lead to problems in the streets, and it would also make them unable to deal with the Austrians the next time a war flared up. “Indeed not, though there are some other schemes that the treasury has cooked up that we could deal with.”

“Such?” His brother asked.

“The measure to start taxing the nobility. We could actually use those funds for the navy and use the papers as a means of promoting it. The nobles will agree to it if they think it’s being used to beat the British.” Louis said. It was crude, but it was perhaps the most effective strategy they had.

“That could work, but how would you convince the King of making it so?” His brother asked.

Louise sighed. That would be an issue, as he had gotten older, his father had started to become even more irritable, and had started trusting fewer and fewer people. He saw everything as a move against him, and he distrusted the navy, especially after so many defeats. “I will think of a plan.” Was all Louis could say.

There was a brief silence then as they both took their drinks, but then, his brother said. “You know Voltaire will be returning to France for a period of time. The King finally agreed to lift the ban on him.”

Louis raised an eyebrow. “Really? Who convinced him to do that?” His father had long hated the philosopher, though Louis had never quite been able to understand why.

“I think the Queen did. She said that he could be quite a good ornament to the court.” Anjou responded.

Louis laughed. Of course, Mother would say that. She knew how to get Father to think beyond his prejudices. “When is he coming?” Louis asked.

“In a month’s time.” Anjou said. “Orleans is already trying to get him to stay at the Palais Royal.”

Louis snorted. “Of course he is, no doubt the man’s wife is doing everything she can to get him to host Voltaire.” The Duchess of Orleans was ambitious by half in somethings, and in others she seemed as though she could not care in the slightest. It was a tad confusing.

“So, what are you going to do?” Anjou asked. “I know you’ve got something planned.”

“I will extend an invitation to Voltaire the moment he lands in France. He will have to take my invitation more seriously than our cousin’s and as such, I will bring him to our point of thinking.” Louis said.

His brother smiled. “Excellent.”

Chapter 275: Emperor In Waiting
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 275: Emperor In Waiting

September, 1743

Leopold Joseph, King of the Romans, heir apparent to the Holy Roman Empire, and King of Hungary and Bohemia looked at his wife and said. “I think we are quite safe in terms of the economic reforms that the Emperor instituted.”

“You are sure?” His wife Antoinette asked.

“Yes. The reforms have seen economic growth more than triple over the past ten years, and they have brought more money to the pockets of the nobles. Had they not, you can guarantee that the Hungarians would have revolted.” Leopold said.

“And you are sure that the Chancellor will not recommend removing them, should the Emperor die?” Antoinette asked, referring to the fact that his father Joseph, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Hungary and Bohemia, Archduke of Austria etc. was gravely ill.

“No, he will not get the chance to. I am going to dismiss him the moment I ascend to the throne.” Leopold said.

“And replace him with who? Graf?” Antoinette asked referring to Johann Graf von Auersperg, a man who had been Leopold’s friend for a long time.

“Heaven’s no.” Leopold replied snorting slightly. “Graf is going to become foreign minister and replace that old fool Koháry.”

“So, who becomes chancellor?” Antoinette asked.

“Leopold.” Leopold replied, referring to their second son.

His wife looked surprised by this. “You are sure that is a good idea? The boy is only twenty-four.”

“And he has shown a good talent for numbers and for grasping the need for a better centralised bank.” Leopold said. “He was the one who managed to get the finances of our household in order, after that whore stole from you.” He didn’t mention the Countess by name, but the way his wife blushed showed she had taken his point.

“So, instead of getting married he is going to be named Chancellor. How intriguing.” Antoinette said.

“Indeed, Joseph has already produced issue, should the need arise we can always marry Leopold off to someone or the other. For now, though it is more important that we consider a marriage for our daughter.” Leopold said.

“I think Karl of Poland is the sensible choice. We need to keep the Polish away from the Russians and away from any potential war with the Swedes.” Antoinette said.

“Perhaps, but I have heard things about Crown Prince Karl.” Leopold replied, he did not give voice to the rumours for they were not appropriate for female company, but needless to say he did not want his daughter married to such a man.

“If not him then who?” Antoinette asked.

“The Electoral Prince of the Palatine is roughly the same age as her, and we need to strengthen ties to that family to keep them away from French influence.” Leopold said.

His wife surprisingly agreed. “Very well, when will you send the letter broaching the topic?”

“Within the next few months.” Leopold said.

His wife nodded, then they both stiffened when the guard outside announced. “His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke Joseph Karl of Austria.”

Leopold looked at his wife, if his brother was coming to visit them, that could only mean one of two things had happened. Either their father was dead or he had recovered. He felt guilty for hoping it was the former. He turned to look at his brother who bowed. “Well?” Leopold asked.

His brother did not answer with words, but instead knelt before Leopold and then said. “The Emperor is dead, long live the Emperor.”