A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

And this match may play the role in Saxon princess picked for new Princess of Wales.
Also, Marie Kunigunde is going to be the first descendant of Elisabeth of Bohemia via Prince Edward to marry in British Royal Family, so at least a new combination.

VVD0D95

Banned
And this match may play the role in Saxon princess picked for new Princess of Wales.
Also, Marie Kunigunde is going to be the first descendant of Elisabeth of Bohemia via Prince Edward to marry in British Royal Family, so at least a new combination.

Oh how so, re the Hanoverian Saxon match? How would that play a role in the Saxon Princess being chosen for the Princess of Wales?

Oh how so, re the Hanoverian Saxon match? How would that play a role in the Saxon Princess being chosen for the Princess of Wales?
Anne of Hanover is mother of future James IV for whom the picking of Princess is done.
Though I think that this would not be a major source of Marie Kunigunde being talked up - she (via her mother) is the highest ranked Protestant Habsburg proxy this generation, so a traditional alliance.

VVD0D95

Banned
Anne of Hanover is mother of future James IV for whom the picking of Princess is done.
Though I think that this would not be a major source of Marie Kunigunde being talked up - she (via her mother) is the highest ranked Protestant Habsburg proxy this generation, so a traditional alliance.

Right you are, apologies was being a bit slow there.

And this is true, and given how pissed off both James III and George Prince of Wales are with France, I can't see them considering a French proxy any time soon.

Chapter 264: Reform

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 264: Reform

March, 1741

Two months since Caroline had died, two months since they had buried her with great pomp and ceremony in Westminster Abbey, two months since the light had gone out in his life. Oh, his grandchildren were constant sources of love and amusement, but they could not fill the hole his wife had left. James often found himself wondering when the end would come and if it could come quickly. Still, there were many things that needed sorting out and he could not go just yet.

He looked at the Duke of Bolingbroke and said. “You have clarified the parts of the Reform Act that you wished to clarify, we trust.”

“Of course, Sire.” Bolingbroke said.

“Then let us hear them.” James said.

Bolingbroke took a moment and then said. “Per Your Majesty’s approval, the Reform Act shall abolish all Rotten Boroughs, and add representation to places such as Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow which are currently underrepresented. Furthermore, the Act shall extend the vote to all men aged 21 and over who own £5 worth of property or more. This is applicable throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britannia.”

James nodded. “Are there any objections?”

As expected, Robert Walpole spoke then. “Sire, the only concern I have is that in extending the franchise, we make it harder for our party to succeed in elections. If every person who owns property is able to vote, how do we know they will vote for the Crown’s interests?”

“Because those voters on the lower end of the ownership spectrum have been shown to have the same views as the Crown.” James said. “Your own searches into this have shown that, Robert.”

Walpole said nothing then, he merely bowed his head. “Any other concerns?” James asked, when nobody replied he said. “Very well, then we deem this Act to be accepted by the Crown and thus instruct that it be placed before Parliament at the earliest moment.”

“Sire.” Bolingbroke said.

Relieved that that issue was taken care of, James then said. “Now, our son Charles shall soon be marrying the sister of the Duke of Courland, and as part of the renewal of our alliance with Russia, the Tsar has promised better trade agreements. Sir Watkins, what has the man said exactly?”

Sir Watkins William Wynn, First Lord of Trade and a keen negotiator, spoke then. “He has agreed to increase Britannic trade by 10%, Sire. He has also agreed to give us more favourable terms in trading with Russian subjects in the southern regions of the Russian Kingdom, compared to the terms the Dutch have received.”

James nodded approvingly. “Good. Now the case remains to be seen whether the man stands true to such a measure. His father was noticeably keen to change his mood.”

“The Tsar has proven more reliable than his father was, Sire.” Sir Watkins said. “He has held his end of the arrangement to the letter, so far.”

James grinned. “Of course he has, we’ve been providing him with information about his neighbours for years now. He would be a fool not to.” Sensing Sir Watkins had more he wanted to say, but also feeling a pain in his head, James continued. “Regardless, the matter is solved now, so, we must move on. What other news is there?”

Here, Walpole spoke after a quick glance to Bolingbroke. “We have received word from the Colonies, Sire. It seems the French are pushing past the boundaries once more. Lord Clarendon has sent word to the French governor demanding an explanation, but has yet received no reply.”

“How many incursions have occurred?” James asked.

“At Clarendon’s last letter, eight.” Walpole said.

“Eight?!” James exclaimed. “And you are only now seeing fit to inform us.”

“My apologies, Sire, but the issue has only become a major concern now.” Walpole said.

James looked at the man and wondered if he was losing his touch. “So, what do you propose?”

“I would propose that we send an extra three brigades to the new world. From there Lord Clarendon can decide where they would best be served.” Walpole said.

James looked at his friend and the Commander in Chief of the Forces, John Churchill 2nd Duke of Marlborough and the man said. “I think that would be best, Sire. Three brigades are manageable. We control the waves, so it is not like the French would dare try and attack our ships.”

“Who would you recommend command these brigades?” James asked.

“I would recommend Brigadier Cobham, Sire.” Marlborough replied. “He has the understanding of the colonies and he also is in need of some active service.”

“Very well. We shall allow you to address him.” James said. The pain in his head was getting worse. He stood then. “You are all dismissed.” He stalked his way back to his chambers, took a deep drink from his cup of wine, closed his eyes and fell back onto bed. Maybe a good sleep would make the pain go away.

Earlier Great Reform Act will see the King greatly admired and should keep his preferred party in power.

Sending extra Brigades to the Colonies will help push back the French, but is hardly giving the people there some representation. Maybe this Brigadier Cobham can report that political reform is required?

Has the King been getting help for his headaches. Too early for him to go!

VVD0D95

Banned
Earlier Great Reform Act will see the King greatly admired and should keep his preferred party in power.

Sending extra Brigades to the Colonies will help push back the French, but is hardly giving the people there some representation. Maybe this Brigadier Cobham can report that political reform is required?

Has the King been getting help for his headaches. Too early for him to go!

Indeed it should, one would hope.

And indeed, though none of the colonials have yet demanded extra representation beyond their regional assemblies.

Relieved that that issue was taken care of, James then said. “Now, our son Charles shall soon be marrying the sister of the Duke of Courland, and as part of the renewal of our alliance with Russia, the Tsar has promised better trade agreements. Sir Watkins, what has the man said exactly?”​

Sir Watkins William Wynn, First Lord of Trade and a keen negotiator, spoke then. “He has agreed to increase Britannic trade by 10%, Sire. He has also agreed to give us more favourable terms in trading with Russian subjects in the southern regions of the Russian Kingdom, compared to the terms the Dutch have received.”

James nodded approvingly. “Good. Now the case remains to be seen whether the man stands true to such a measure. His father was noticeably keen to change his mood.”

“The Tsar has proven more reliable than his father was, Sire.” Sir Watkins said. “He has held his end of the arrangement to the letter, so far.”

James grinned. “Of course he has, we’ve been providing him with information about his neighbours for years now. He would be a fool not to.” Sensing Sir Watkins had more he wanted to say, but also feeling a pain in his head, James continued. “Regardless, the matter is solved now, so, we must move on. What other news is there?”
Though Alexis II also does not have long left in him, and while Peter II so far is more of flamboyant party boy reputation - soon an "unreasonable Romanov" will once again decorate the throne in Kremlin with his ass.

VVD0D95

Banned
Though Alexis II also does not have long left in him, and while Peter II so far is more of flamboyant party boy reputation - soon an "unreasonable Romanov" will once again decorate the throne in Kremlin with his ass.
Ahahaha indeed. I think one could explore that dynamic quire soon

Chapter 265: A New Horizon

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 265: A New Horizon

March, 1741

“So, you see, the issue I’ve got with Hume is that he pontificates about a lot of things but he never actually addresses the core issue at the heart of his papers.” George said referring to the recently released A Treatise of Human Nature that both he and Anne had read.

“Don’t you think that he can’t address it because there’s no clear answer to it all?” Anne asked. Her English having gotten markedly better over the years. “After all, how are we to know just what human nature is when there are so many variables that go into sorting the matter out?”

George bit back a groan. “You’re not one of those people are you, my love?”

“One of what people?” Anne asked, smiling.

“The sort of person who thinks that human nature is shaped by the environment around us and not inbuilt within us.” George said.

“Are you of the opposite persuasion then, my love?” Anne asked.

“Yes.” George said.

“Why?” Anne asked.

“Beauclerk.” George said simply. “We have exiled him countless times and every time he returns he is the same person. Manipulative, cheeky and a snake.”

“And what of James?” Anne asked. “He is not the same when Beauclerk is away.”

Almost immediately, George regretted bringing up Beauclerk. He struggled to find the right words, but eventually said. “James was and is a good person, he is kind and caring. It is just that he has always been charmed by shiny things. Being the spare. And Beauclerk knows how to show off the shiny things he has. Or rather, the shiny things that he has borrowed from his brother. As such, it is necessary to keep them separated from one another.”

Thankfully, Anne didn’t push the subject and instead asked. “How do you propose to do that? The King has said that he cannot keep Beauclerk away in Ireland for much longer without insulting the Duke of St Albans.”

“If I had my way I’d send him off to the New World with the army being gathered for Brigadier Cobham.” George said.

“And make him return a war hero?” Anne asked.

George sighed. “I highly doubt that he would return a hero. The man hates fighting.”

“So, why send him off to war?” Anne asked.

“So, that he might die.” George said simply.

Before his wife could reply, there was a knock on the door, and a servant entered. “Your Royal Highnesses, forgive the interruption, but you are needed immediately in the King’s chamber.”

George got up and helped Anne stand. “Both of us?” He asked, wondering what could be so important that his father would summon the both of them.

“Yes, Your Royal Highness.” The servant said. He bowed and then hurried out of the room.

George looked at Anne and then led the way. They walked out of their rooms, down the hallway, turned right and then left, and then found a guard standing there looking rather scared. “What’s the matter?” George demanded.

“Your Royal Highness, I….I heard a thump and entered and well…” the guard said before George pushed passed him.

Anne followed and she gasped and hurried to the King. He was lying on the floor blood pooling near his head. George went to him then and knelt down. “Your Majesty. Father?”

His father did not respond, Anne pressed two fingers to his neck and then looked at him. “He’s not breathing, George.”

George looked at her and then at his father and then roared. “Get the doctor!”

He heard hurried footsteps outside and then he looked back at his wife and asked. “What should we do?”

“I think we need to wait for the doctor.” Anne said, she was remarkably calm, and to his shame, George had to admit he was panicking more than he should.

Eventually, the door opened and Doctor Strange entered. He bowed and then asked. “What has happened, Your Royal Highnesses?”

“The King seems to have fallen and hit his head.” George said. “He’s not breathing.”

The doctor nodded and moved toward them, he knelt by the King’s head and felt it. “He’s very hot.”

George said nothing, but moved when asked to by the Doctor. He watched as the man put his fingers on the King’s neck and chin and then opened one eye. George moved to stand next to Anne, and held her as she gasped when the eye was open. It was completely bloodshot. After a few moments, the doctor stopped and then turned to them. “His Majesty suffered some sort of attack.”

“Will he recover?” Anne asked, for George found he could not speak.

The Doctor shook his head. “He is dead.”

Anne turned to look at him then and he looked back at her. “The King is dead.”

There was movement which made them look back at the Doctor, he was kneeling before George. “Long Live the King.”

Shit. Was all George could think.

The King is dead, Long Live The King.

VVD0D95

Banned
James_Fitz-James,_primer_duque_de_Berwick_(Museo_del_Prado).jpg

King James III of the United Kingdom of Great Britannia (b.1687: d.1741) reigned 1714-1741.

i had a feeling this would happen,also are an implying his death is actually a murder or that it was a natural death?
long live the king

You have thought the guards would have reacted faster as soon as they saw the King and the blood to get the Doctor...

Chapter 266: Anne

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 266: Anne

March, 1741

Anne took one look at her husband, saw how haunted his eyes were and she immediately got up and hugged him. Her husband grunted slightly and then asked. “What’s that for?”

“For being brave.” Anne said looking up at him.

“Brave?” George asked his eyebrows raised.

“For going on as if nothing is the matter, despite the fact that everything is the matter. I know how much you’re hurting my love.” Anne said.

George grunted. “I’m simply doing what needs to be done.”

“I know, my love. Come, have a seat.” Anne said, moving back and taking her husband’s hand and leading him to the sofa. They both sat down and then Anne asked. “How are you feeling?”

Her husband looked at her in surprise, and she expected some sort of sarcastic response, but instead he simply said. “I feel as though I’ve been hit by a cannon ball. My mother died, and then father died so soon after. I’m an orphan. But I need to make sure my family is well looked after. Charlotte needs to get married soon, as does Charles. They can’t see their older brother break down. And the court needs me to be strong, and the family needs me to be strong.” Her husband’s voice broke then and tears started forming in his eyes. Anne held onto his hand and squeezed. “All I want to do is go to sleep for a while. I don’t want to have to focus on anything. I don’t want to talk about funeral arrangements or about what music needs to be played. I don’t want to talk about a campaign strategy for the elections, or about how many men we need to kill Frenchmen. I just want to sleep.”

The tears fell freely then, and Anne pulled her husband to her and held him as he cried. As he did so, she whispered. “You’re being so strong, George, it’s okay to let it out now. It’s just you and me, nobody else. Let it out.” Her husband cried and cried, and Anne could hear her mother chastising her for allowing this, but her mother could in the words of many a Londoner, go fuck herself. This was her husband and she would comfort him however she could.

Eventually, George stopped crying he pulled himself back, wiped his eyes and apologised. “I’m sorry about that, Anne, now your dress is damp.”

Anne waved it away. “It’s fine, you needed that.”

George looked at her and said. “What I need is you.”

Anne felt a stirring in her then, but ignored it and instead asked. “How did the cabinet meeting go?”

George groaned which made her smile, she knew how much he hated Cabinet. “Fine, I guess. We agreed that in the next Parliament the reform bill would be put to both houses. The current election will be held using the old system. I also told Walpole that he was being retired and would be raised to a peerage.”

Anne knew her husband had not liked Walpole for a long time, seeing him as far too reactive and not active enough. “How did he take that?”

“I think he was relieved, he looked as if he wanted to kiss me.” George said laughing. “He’s going to be Earl of Orford; the writ is being written as we speak.”

“And what of Bolingbroke?” Anne asked. She knew her husband wanted to replace the man as well, seeing him as a relic of a forgotten age.

“Bolingbroke has agreed to retire as long as he can speak about the reform bill in the Lords.” George said. “I agreed.”

“Are you sure?” Anne asked. “I know you don’t like him, but perhaps it could be useful to keep him around, just in case.”

George shook his head. “No, he needs to go. I don’t want so many old people in charge and running things.”

“So, Walpole and Bolingbroke gone. Who else?” Anne asked.

“Wade is being promoted to General and being replaced as Master General of the Ordinance. I’m putting Blandford in that role.” George said.

Anne didn’t say anything immediately, James Churchill, Marquess of Blandford was her husband’s closest friend and someone he’d gone to war with, but Anne also knew he had a slightly chequered past, and that was something she was concerned about. “Okay.” Anne said in response.

“I’m also naming the Earl of Tinmouth as Paymaster of the Forces.” George said. Anne nodded slightly relieved at that, Tinmouth had a good head on his shoulders.

“And what about the roles which Bolingbroke and Walpole once held, who will hold those?” Anne asked, though she suspected she knew the answer.

“Wyndham will become Secretary of State for the Southern Department, as for the department he once held, I shall wait and see what happens with the elections.” George said.

“So, you will go with the balanced government?” Anne asked. It had been a discussion she and her husband had had many times over the years, and she wasn’t surprised he was considering it now.

“I might do, but I am not completely sure, just yet. I will wait and see.” George said simply.

Anne didn’t say anything, instead she merely nodded. They sat in silence for a time, and Anne found herself wondering what the future would hold. For the longest time she had thought the King and Queen were invincible and that they would live forever, and now in the space of a few short months both were dead. She and her husband were the new monarchs and there would be a lot for them to try and achieve. She looked at George and he looked at her and then he whispered. “We’ll get through this, you and I, we’ll make it work.”

Anne smiled. “I know we will.”

“I’m also naming the Earl of Tinmouth as Paymaster of the Forces.” George said. Anne nodded slightly relieved at that, Tinmouth had a good head on his shoulders.
So, no diplomatic career Easter egg or is it described backwards? Or it's not the Tinmouth I'm thinking of and 1st Duke of Berwick did not outlive his nephew?

VVD0D95

Banned
So, no diplomatic career Easter egg or is it described backwards? Or it's not the Tinmouth I'm thinking of and 1st Duke of Berwick did not outlive his nephew?

Oh no, Berwick did outlive his nephew, but George basically wants family around him, hence why he's summoning Tinmouth back.