A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 167: Karl of Poland

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 167: Karl of Poland

January, 1715

When he had accepted the crown of Poland, Karl had not thought that there would be such a burden on his person. Poland had not been at its powerful height for years. He had expected a chance to wear a crown, do a few things and mainly just enjoy the benefits of his position. And yet, now, here he was, having to wrangle through a war and a nobility who were distrustful of him from the off. He could feel his body beginning to break, but he knew not what precisely to do about it. So, he kept on going, even when perhaps common sense said he should stop.

“Gentlemen, this war we are fighting is a disaster. The Swedes have taken Pomerania from the Prussians and we have done nothing but sit on our arses after they fought to save us from complete defeat.” Karl said. He still remembered the disaster that had been the Prussian campaign, caught fleeing with their pants by their legs. “We must find a way to end this fighting once and for all.”

Jan Saphiea, one of the few people Karl trusted spoke then. “Sire, I would recommend we appeal to the Swedes now. King Charles will no doubt feel sated. He has protected the interests of his nation and has shown that he can do as his father did. Prussia will surely be chastised as well, and they must surely be facing economic ruin with the cost of this war. My only concern is how do we convince Russia to settle down.”

“What do the Russians want?” Karl demanded. “Or rather, what does that blundering oaf, Peter want?” Karl had met Peter of Russia once, he was a blundering maniacal mad man and he had defeated the Polish army and the Swedish army numerous times, but never when King Charles had been commanding.

“Livonia, Sire.” Jan said. “That has always been their intention. Though with Sweden having finally defeated the Prussians, I think we might have a chance at turning our fortunes around.”

Atanazy Miączyński, the crown treasurer spoke then. “Sire, I have to disagree with the Hetman. We do not have the funding to keep waging these wars. Not only that, the Sejm is beginning to question the sense of this. King Charles has gotten what he wants in Pomerania, and I do not think he would really want to get involved in a proper war. Not when Great Britannia and the Dutch are knocking at his door demanding he stops.”

Karl grimaced, the Britannic ambassador had been to see him a day ago. A most strange fellow, this Thomas Pelham, he spoke in vague terms, but the meaning was clear. Should the Swedish blockade of Prussian grain exports continue, Britannia would have no choice but to declare war. Karl did not want a longer war. They had already been fighting for some time. “So, what do you suggest?”

“That we negotiate a peace. We must be the ones to put it forward. Speak with the Britannic ambassador and with the Dutch ambassador, and see if you can find common ground, Sire.” The treasurer said.

Karl often found himself bristling at being spoken to like that, but knew he had no other choice. “Very well, we shall consider it.”

The Hetman looked as if he wanted to say something, but wisely he decided to keep silent. And now, the treasurer turned to another matter. “Have you considered the marriage choices for your children, Sire?”

Karl wanted to growl, but instead he said simply. “We have decided on Maria Karolina Sobieska, for our son and heir. It is time to bring that family in from the cold.” He knew that in the future the Sobieska family would be important in settling the election matter, especially if he wanted to make his dynasty long lasting.

“A wise choice, Sire, and one that will come with a large dowry also.” The treasurer said, no doubt dreaming of the bonus he would get.

The Hetman spoke then. “Would Your Majesty, not consider Maria Zofia Siniawska for the Prince? She brings with her lands to add to the Royal Land collection and vast wealth also.”

Karl looked at the man and said. “We had considered her, but decided that it is better to bring influence for the long term than a short term probe with a family lacking the same level of power.”

Last edited:
Chapter 168: A New Reign

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 168: A New Reign

April, 1715

The coronation had come and gone, and James was now beginning to feel the true weight of the crown. Before he had still somewhat felt as though he were Prince of Wales, and had sometimes acted as such. He’d had to remind himself of the changes that being King required. He could no longer be quite so open with his children in public, something that pained him, and something he had had to explain to George when his son had asked him with tears in his eyes, if he had done something wrong. Still, now he had a proper control over the government and the legislation that might shape the realm, he was determined to do good.

He started with the most recent news from Parliament. “We are most surprised that the Toleration Bill was introduced once more. We had thought that such matters had been put to rest during our predecessor’s reign.” Truthfully, he had thought the issue might come up again, but he had not thought it would come so soon.

James Stanhope, who he had served with during the previous war, and his representative in the Commons spoke then. “Sire, I admit I should have seen this coming, but it is a matter that many on the Opposition benches consider prudent to discuss. As it brings them more votes from the dissenting populations and it plays well with them.”

James had to laugh. “Do they not realise that they were the ones who introduced the very acts that prevented these dissenters from sitting in government or positions of power or even voting to begin with?” That was something he had always found odd, the politician’s desire to exclude those who in five years time they would soon need.

Stanhope seemed to acknowledge this for he said. “This is true, Sire, but they are still looking for a means toward achieving more dominance. And they are likely to introduce the bill again.”

“Who is the man who introduced the bill this time?” James asked.

“Paul Meuthen, he was elected during the Parliament a few years ago, Sire. He is a Whig, but he is someone who feels he could strengthen his hold over his constituency if the Toleration Act was passed.” Stanhope said.

“How many of his potential constituents are non-conformers?” James asked.

Stanhope did not appear to have the answer, instead it was Henry St John, Viscount Bolingbroke who spoke. “Some ten thousand, Sire. If they were given the vote they would strengthen his majority against his most recent opponent who was a High Tory.”

James thought for a moment and then said. “We will not allow the Toleration Act to pass unless those who introduce it are willing to accept that they are opening the door for Catholics to also vote. Therefore, we shall offer him something else. The question is what.”

Robert Walpole who he had named as Chancellor of the Exchequer spoke then. “Sire, I have a suggestion, if I may?”

“GO ahead.” James said, his wife liked Walpole and so far the man had given him no reason to doubt him, should Stanhope prove unable to control the Commons, James might give that position to Walpole.

“I know Meuthen, he is an ambitious man, he wants to have some role to play at court, or for Your Majesty’s government. He does not much care about ideology, if he can get something that will promote him and his family, he will be content.” Walpole said. “Therefore, I would recommend giving him the position of Ambassador to Portugal.”

“You would have a Whig sent to represent His Majesty at the court of our oldest ally?” Henry St John exclaimed.

“I would provide His Majesty with a chance of showing Sir Meuthen that he is a valued member of the court. His father was an ambassador to Portugal during the reign of Her Majesty Queen Anne, after all and had a good relationship with King Pedro.” Walpole said.

“Walpole is right, Your Majesty.” The Duke of Marlborough said. “Meuthen’s father was one of the reasons why King Pedro took so well to the marriage proposal.”

James thought on this and then said. “Very well, Walpole you shall speak with Meuthen, tell him we wish to meet with him. We shall offer him this position as long as he never introduces the Toleration Act again.”

“I shall do that tomorrow when Parliament meets again, Sire.” Walpole said.

“Good,” James said. “Now, there is another matter we wished to discuss.” He cleared his throat and then continued. “What is the status of the peace agreement between Sweden and Prussia?”

Here Stanhope spoke confidently. “The Swedes have agreed to concede Ingria to Russia in return for Prussia acknowledging their maintaining of Pomerania. The Prussians are willing to give that territory in return for the lifting of the embargo on their ports. The Russians have also said they wish to be given access to ports in Livonia in return for preventing further escalation. The Swedes have been convinced to agree.”

“Good. When will this treaty be ratified?” James asked. His sister had asked him to get involved and so he had, using the force of the Royal Navy to make a point. It was good to see that even as far afield as Sweden and Russia the navy was taken seriously.

“It will be ratified very soon, Sire. I believe within the next week or so.” Stanhope said.

“Good.” James said. He looked at his ministers and said. “Now if there is nothing else, we believe there is a play about to begin. We expect you all to be there.”

He rose, and his ministers rose, this play was supposed to be a good one, written by some man named James Orwell, from Somerset. George had written of how well it had been received by the nobles there, and well, he was intrigued.

Chapter 169: An Austrian Archduke In Brussels

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 169: An Austrian Archduke In Brussels

July, 1715

Sometimes Charles wondered how he had struck this sort of fortune. A good looking wife, a son who promised many things and dutiful daughters. Then he remembered, he had been born a Habsburg, into the oldest and greatest of dynasties to rule the Holy Roman Empire, and one that had not controlled what had once been the Spanish Netherlands for three centuries now. Following the ending of the war with France and the signing of various treaties and the birth of their son, Charles had written to his brother the Emperor and with his agreement proclaimed himself Archduke of Flanders, recognising the ancient status of many of the lands around him. Spain, Britannia, the Empire, the Papacy all had recognised that title, only France had not and they were beginning to come around.

Charles looked at his ministers and said simply. “We have spent the past few days looking over these documents from Versailles with great interest. We find that the French King has more sense than his predecessor. We would like to hear our council’s thoughts on the matter.”

There was a brief silence and then his wife Margaret who attended all council meetings spoke. “We think that it is a sensible suggestion and would fall in line with our interests. The French cut the tariffs on the goods we trade with them, and we get financial aid to build the roadworks and sewage systems we need.”

Von Daunn his chief advisor spoke then. “Your Royal Highness, I think that whilst the suggestion is a good one and certainly could benefit us, I find myself hesitant to give my full investment in support.”

“Why?” Charles asked. He liked Von Daunn and considered him to be one of the few people in the Archduchy who actually would straight talk.

Von Daunn took a moment and then said. “Your Royal Highness, the French are known to spin things one way or another. Furthermore, it is within their tactical ambitions to take control over this Archduchy. They want it and see it as part of their natural borders. King Louis might not be his grandsire, but he is still an ambitious man, his scheming in Tuscany shows this.” Charles grimaced, he’d heard about the Tuscan business that had been worrying. “Personally, I think he is looking to soften Your Royal Highness up with this offer, and then when the next war comes or you do something wrong, he will pounce.”

Charles looked at Von Daunn and asked. “You think he will try and sow disinformation about this treaty?”

“Without a doubt, Your Royal Highness.” Von Daunn replied.

“Then what would you suggest?” Charles asked.

Charles saw Von Daunn share a look with the Archbishop and wondered at it, but thankfully Von Daunn spoke before he could ask a question on that. “Your Royal Highness, I would look toward Britannia and her trading deals. She is not looking for anything other than free trade between our two states. Great Britannia has always been a firm defender; I can guarantee you that if we go with her she will not demand anything from us other than a commitment to free trade.”

The Archbishop spoke then. “Von Daunn is right, Your Royal Highness. Britannia makes up some fifty percent of our trade, whilst France only twenty percent. We would be foolish not to ally with them.”

“Especially with their emerging naval power.” Margaret said.

Charles thought on this for a moment and then said. “We ally with Britannia we are getting frictionless trade with a nation we already trade with but pay tariffs with. We trade with France we get free trade but also funding for the reforms we need.” There was a pause and then it dropped. “But then we would also be indebted to the French, not in the terms of rebellion, but in terms of allowing troops through our doors. And that is something we cannot allow.”

He looked at Von Daunn and said. “Send word to the British Ambassador, and tell him we would like to meet as early as possible.”

“Yes Your Royal Highness.” Von Daunn said. The man wrote a note and gave it to a page who hurried off.

Margaret spoke then. “There is another matter, for discussion.”

“What?” Charles asked, now the trade business was done, he wished to spend time looking over military plans.

“The subject of marriage for our daughter, Maria Theresa.” Margaret said.

Charles wanted to sigh instead he said. “She is but eight, she is young yet.”

“We were not much older than her when we were betrothed to one another.” Margaret said.

His wife had a point and so reluctantly he said. “Very well, what about her betrothal? Who are you considering?”

His wife and the Count exchanged looks and his wife then said. “George, Prince of Wales.”

“Is he not betrothed to the King of France’s daughter?” Charles asked.

“He is, though that can easily be broken. Our sources say that there is not much support for the marriage amongst the King of Great Britannia’s subjects or his court, and indeed even his wife. They would be far more amenable to a marriage to our daughter, given the ties between our two families and the trading relationship.” Margaret said.

“Would she have to convert?” Charles asked.

“No, she would be allowed to keep her own faith as long as the children are raised as Anglican.” Margaret answered.

Charles looked at the Archbishop who said. “It is true, Your Royal Highness. I can get clarity from His Holiness if it would ease your soul.”

Charles thought on this for a moment, the chance to get his daughter as a Queen and snub the French? Oh, now that would be something. “See to it.” he told the Archbishop. To his wife he said. “We shall consider this.”

I think so, I think the brits wouldn’t mind someone else also knocking down the French
Though the fiercer competition would come from Northern neighbour (aka Dutch).

I wonder if some explorer TTL with more navigation in the region gets luckier with Torres strait some time before James Cook to discover Eastern Australia (in drafts for Apollinis and Dianae we had it discovered in 1700ies by luckier William Dampier).

VVD0D95

Banned
Though the fiercer competition would come from Northern neighbour (aka Dutch).

I wonder if some explorer TTL with more navigation in the region gets luckier with Torres strait some time before James Cook to discover Eastern Australia (in drafts for Apollinis and Dianae we had it discovered in 1700ies by luckier William Dampier).
I do have plans, especially for the gold there

The Standard

VVD0D95

Banned
The Standard

Parliament.jpg

Religious Toleration Act tabled in Parliament

It has come to this newspaper’s attention that The Religious Toleration Act has been tabled in the House of Commons once more. Three MPs have decided to table the Act. Their names are Thomas Pelham, Spencer Compton and James Cavendish. When asked why they had done so, Spencer Compton replied. “Because all good Protestant Men should have the right to vote and hold office.” It is not known how the King will respond.

King confirms His Royal Highness as Secretary of State for Scotland

In a decision that has surprised nobody of sense, His Majesty has confirmed his brother His Royal Highness, the Duke of York and Albany as Secretary of State for Scotland. His Royal Highness was responsible for bringing the Western regions of Scotland into the Episcopalian faith and ending decades of strife.

King Gives Royal License to Orwell

In an interesting move, His Majesty has given a Royal License to Lewis Orwell, a writer based in Birmingham, who now lives in Whitehall, London. Orwell’s play ‘Times Of Change’ is known to be a favourite of Her Majesty The Queen’s. This newspaper will be sure to review his future works.

'Finally, a unbiased newspaper in London. We have waited a long time for this.' Marquess of Normanby, Lord Chamberlain.

The Standard

Religious Toleration Act tabled in Parliament

It has come to this newspaper’s attention that The Religious Toleration Act has been tabled in the House of Commons once more. Three MPs have decided to table the Act. Their names are Thomas Pelham, Spencer Compton and James Cavendish. When asked why they had done so, Spencer Compton replied. “Because all good Protestant Men should have the right to vote and hold office.” It is not known how the King will respond.

King confirms His Royal Highness as Secretary of State for Scotland

In a decision that has surprised nobody of sense, His Majesty has confirmed his brother His Royal Highness, the Duke of York and Albany as Secretary of State for Scotland. His Royal Highness was responsible for bringing the Western regions of Scotland into the Episcopalian faith and ending decades of strife.

King Gives Royal License to Orwell

In an interesting move, His Majesty has given a Royal License to Lewis Orwell, a writer based in Birmingham, who now lives in Whitehall, London. Orwell’s play ‘Times Of Change’ is known to be a favourite of Her Majesty The Queen’s. This newspaper will be sure to review his future works.

Well this is something different. I like this. It's a refreshing change.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well this is something different. I like this. It's a refreshing change.

Glad you like it! I've been fiddling around with the idea of doing a snapshot of newspapers in this world for a while. Do you think it's a format that works? It does also hint toward some big changes coming.

Chapter 170: The Queen's Gathering

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 170: The Queen’s Gathering

October, 1715

Caroline felt the babe kick. She smiled at the motion and then turned her attention back to the documents before her. James was away touring the realm, looking at some invention or the other, and given the time of her pregnancy she could not accompany him, but George and Anne had gone to accompany him, which pleased her. Her two eldest children were both very smart, and would no doubt learn a lot from seeing their father hold court.

Caroline read through the Standard, that paper that claimed neutrality, but often leaned one way or another depending on the mood of its owner the Duke of Buckingham and Normanby. “You know, we cannot understand why these MPs have introduced this Toleration bill again. Surely they realise that it has no chance of passing?”

“Majesty, I think they have introduced it again simply to keep trying. I think they want to wear down the King.” Diana, Duchess of Berwick and Countess of Oxford in her own right said.

“Why? What purpose does it serve?” Caroline mused. “We can understand Pelham doing that, for he lacks sense and has more fervour, but Compton and Cavendish? Surely they know better.”

The Duchess of Somerset spoke then. “I think perhaps they want to send a message, as the Duchess of Berwick says.”

Caroline mused on that and then said. “You think they want some sort of position at court, like His Majesty gave Meuthen?” She disliked Meuthen, found him to be highly objectionable and disgusting in morals.

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Somerset said. “I think they want some sort of influence over the gossip of court. Right now, it is very much influenced by Tories, unless you count Mrs Stanhope and Mrs Walpole.”

Caroline thought on that for a moment and then said. “Perhaps they would be amenable to some marriages then. We do not think our husband would ever think of inviting them to take positions within the household.” Indeed, she knew her husband would never consent to that, he’d rather cut his own eye out.

Anne Berkeley, Countess of Berkeley whose husband was as First Naval Lord and whose Father was Lord High Admiral spoke then. “I think you are on the right view, Your Majesty. There are several members of the extended royal family who could be used for marriages to bring the Whigs into line.”

“Indeed, the Countess is right.” The Duchess of Berwick said. “My own son James is of an age to be of use for this, Your Majesty.”

Caroline considered this and then said. “Cavendish’s niece is of an age with your son is he not Duchess?”

“He is, Majesty.” The Duchess replied.

“And the Duke of Albany’s daughter is similar in age to the Duke of Argyll’s son.” Caroline said remembering something James had said to her a few days ago.

“She is, Majesty.” The Duchess said.

Caroline smiled. “Then we have two of our candidates secured.”

The Duchess smiled. “Indeed, we do, Your Majesty. I will be sure to get things sorted with my lord husband.”

Caroline nodded. “Perhaps with two of their own members married within the family they will feel somewhat better. And of course, we might need to bring a proper and open discussion about our son’s marriage.” She knew her husband was set on the French marriage, but Caroline felt that was not appropriate. The girl would be too Catholic and too dangerous for her husband and her son. She remembered hearing about the stories of her husband’s great-grandfather’s troubles with his wife.

“Perhaps that is something best sorted with His Majesty when he returns, Majesty?” The Duchess of Somerset asked.

Caroline nodded. “Of course. Better to focus on what we can control now.”

“I shall get onto it the moment I can, Your Majesty.” Diana said.

Caroline nodded, and turned back to reading through other papers. She knew her husband was considering replacements for the Duke of Marlborough as Commander in Chief of the Forces. Marlborough had expressed his own desire to perhaps retire for a little while. James had spoken with the Marquess of Blandford about it as well, and Caroline knew they both were considering the Duke of Berwick as replacement, Ormonde being too Irish for such a thing.

Last edited: