A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

That said, the Oxford earldom was originally a Salic-law-operating, so there could have been like 8th/10th cousin claimant (that's why the latter ones used double styles).
I'll probably edit the name of Diana's TTL creation to "Oxford and Bolebec" or something like this, since legally she had no right to the 1st creation title.

Or even better, make this the creation in Great Brittania peerage (with "older" Earl of Oxford title being in Peerage of England), her being probably the first suo jure peeress created in this peerage.

VVD0D95

Banned
That said, the Oxford earldom was originally a Salic-law-operating, so there could have been like 8th/10th cousin claimant (that's why the latter ones used double styles).
I'll probably edit the name of Diana's TTL creation to "Oxford and Bolebec" or something like this, since legally she had no right to the 1st creation title.

Or even better, make this the creation in Great Brittania peerage (with "older" Earl of Oxford title being in Peerage of England), her being probably the first suo jure peeress created in this peerage.

Hmm making it in the peerage of Great Britannia works for me, and ensures she's safe from rival claimants no matter how distant.

Once the Berwicks repurchase Headingham castle, John de Vere may also be created 1st Baron Vere of Headingham. Or I edit it in the table right now, since Headingham village (from which the peerage is derived) and the castle itself are two different things:)

VVD0D95

Banned
Once the Berwicks repurchase Headingham castle, John de Vere may also be created 1st Baron Vere of Headingham. Or I edit it in the table right now, since Headingham village (from which the peerage is derived) and the castle itself are two different things:)
Hmm perhaps editing it now makes sense?

Already done. The research on title as ancient as Oxford one and possible derivative titles is fascinating thing:)

Yes, and attainded.
The only OTL dead bastard Stuart whose death is butterflied TTL is Duke of Grafton, because the battle he died in OTL did not happen TTL.
Henry Fitzjames also counts, as he lives past 1702 TTL, but for how long is subject to questions.
Duke of Monmouth, Earl of Plymouth and Dudley Fitz-Rupert are dead TTL from the same causes as OTL.

The OTL reversion of Earldom of Doncaster to Monmouth heirs will also happen TTL, though (and maybe even a bit earlier than OTL). Did not include them in any tables as their genealogy at this particular point did not diverge from OTL.

VVD0D95

Banned
The OTL reversion of Earldom of Doncaster to Monmouth heirs will also happen TTL, though (and maybe even a bit earlier than OTL). Did not include them in any tables as their genealogy at this particular point did not diverge from OTL.
Agreed should they play a significant role in the kingdom?

Chapter 164: Worries

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 164: Worries

May, 1714

The Queen was slowly worsening. She never left her chambers, and according to the Duchess of Somerset she could barely leave her bed. He had had to carry his mother once or twice to the lavatories when he had visited. The memories were burned into his mind and he could not remove them. She would die soon and then there would be all sorts of things that needed to be done. Right now, though, James pushed that thought to the back of his mind and focused on the problem facing him immediately.

He had summoned the Duke of Marlborough and the Duke of Grafton, the Commander in Chief of the Forces and Lord High Admiral respectively, to discuss his concerns. He took a breath and then said. “Gentlemen, thank you both for coming. The need for this meeting is urgent. As we are sure you are both aware, two weeks ago, the Dutch Republic almost started a war when they intercepted a French merchant convoy coming back from the Americas with goods. Only our swift talking ambassador was able to prevent full out war. Our sources in The Hague, report that this is not just a one-off thing. They report that the Dutch are very much considering making this a long-term priority.” James put his hands on the table. “Gentlemen, the prospect of war is very likely.”

The Duke of Grafton spoke first. James liked the man, he had common sense, something his siblings lacked. “Your Royal Highness, I have looked through the logs and spoken with the Board of the Admiralty, we feel that the Britannic fleet is ready to meet any challenge that the Dutch might throw at us. Our ships are more advanced, and the investment has been most useful.”

“Why were you not aware of the actions before they happened?” James asked. Usually his cousin was quite on point with such things, this lapse was worrying.

The Duke of Grafton bowed his head. “Forgive me, Your Royal Highness. I had not thought to continue patrolling those northern waters when the Dutch had not shown any sign that they were going to break the treaties of peace.”

Marlborough spoke then. “The Dutch are a cunning people, Your Royal Highness. They are likely going to try and play off this attempted start at war as nothing more than a misunderstanding, they will then build up their armed forces. The Prince of Orange is ailing, but his son has demonstrated some good smarts.”

“Indeed.” James responded. “Our spies report that it is he who is developing the martial capabilities of the Republic.” The man was his brother by marriage and a distant cousin as well. “How prepared is the army should we need to launch a war?”

Marlborough thought for a moment and then responded. “As ready as we will ever be, Your Royal Highness. We have some of the best commanders in Europe, and our weapons are the latest. Of course, one would need to consider whether or not the Dutch are truly a viable threat.”

“After that little incident, you cannot surely believe that the Dutch are not a potential enemy, Your Grace?” Grafton enquired.

“I am not saying that they are not, Lord Admiral,” Marlborough responded. “However, I am urging caution, as I believe that this might be part of the Dutch plan.”

“How so?” James asked. He wanted to hear what his former mentor had to say on this before he reached a conclusion.

The Duke said nothing for a moment and then responded. “This could be part of some plan to get us to realise where we want to sit within Europe, and bear in mind that William of Orange has his friends amongst the Whigs in Parliament, they might be feeding him information on some regard or the other. Though even if they are not, they support an alliance with him.”

“Speak plainly.” James commanded, he suspected he knew what Marlborough was getting at but this riddle speaking was beginning to annoy him.

Marlborough bowed his head. “What I mean, Your Royal Highness, is that by staging this attempted attack on a merchant convoy, the Dutch might well have wanted us to spring into action. Knowing that this would humiliate the French, it would likely draw arguments from the French and cause tensions to build again. There are those within court who favour the Dutch alliance and are opposed to the French marriage of your son, Your Royal Highness. Therefore, by stirring these tensions they are playing on two things. Your Royal Highness’s desire to defuse tension, and the humiliation this would cause France.”

James thought on this and remembered the arguments he had had with the French ambassador because of his action and the frustration he had felt. He remembered Somerset suggesting abandoning the French if this was their response, something Beaufort had also suggested. James looked at Marlborough and asked. “What would you suggest then? We cannot remain unprepared.”

“Of course not, Your Royal Highness. I would not even think to recommend such a thing. No, what I recommend is that the army and navy be put on readiness mode and should something happen then deploy them. If not, then they act as deterrents to any possible hostile action.” Marlborough said.

James thought on this for a moment and then said. “Very well, we shall speak to the Queen.”

Chapter 165: Queen Anne

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 165: Queen Anne

August, 1714

Anne took pride in the fact that she had lived longer than the doctors said she would. She had lived longer than her last doctor. James told her that Doctor Williams had been caught trying smuggle information to the press, he had been tried for treason and executed. The press had surprisingly been the ones leading for his execution. She knew she was dying, her legs had no feeling any longer and she could barely see. She cleared her throat.

“George, George, my darling cherub are you there?” She asked. Her daughters could not come to be with her, not even Sophie her favourite, because of the actions of her fool husband.

“I’m here, Your Majesty.” George said, his wife was pregnant, Anne knew.

“You will be a good naval officer, we know. We know you will do great things for the Royal Navy as your father said you would.” Anne said, looking at what she thought was George, it was so damned hard to see.

“I will do my best, Your Majesty.” George answered.

“We love you.” Anne said, and she heard George whisper it back. “William.” Her second son had come from Scotland, with a full military unit, for one reason or another. she heard whispers of a campaign into Ireland, but was not sure what that meant.

“I’m here Your Majesty.” Her second son said.

“My darling soldier. You were always strong. You will make a fine general.” Anne said.

“I will, Your Majesty. I promise.” Her second son answered.

Anne called George back and said. “You and George must both work together to help your oldest brother. James will need his siblings by his side. Your sisters are gone now, they are married to foreign powers, but you both are here. The three of you together can accomplish amazing things. Make sure you do not forget that.”

“We won’t, Your Majesty.” William and George answered in unison.

“Where is James?” Anne called out.

“I’m here.” Her eldest son said. She felt him take her hand in his, it was rough and weathered.

“You are our heir, you are the future, and we are the past. When we die, you shall become King of Britannia. Make sure to protect her, and devout your time to her. She is a fickle beast, James. She will bite you and try to maul you, but if you win her over, she will love you and fight for you, forevermore. Do not rely too much on Parliament, for they are filled with foolish vipers who are all after their own power. Rely on your brothers and your wife, she is a smart woman, and she will do wonders for the court. And always remember to keep the French at a distance. One moment they will be your friends and the next they will be planning an invasion.” Anne said. She knew her son had ruled since George had died, her grief had consumed her. But she still had some advice for him, she was his mother after all. “And remember, the Dutch might not be our natural allies, but they will do for now. Always enrich the Kingdom with alliances, never burden it with false friends.”

“Yes Your Majesty.” Her son answered.

She was beginning to feel tired now, still she continued. “Always remember that the Kingdom comes first. We are merely its servants for this time allotted to us on God’s earth. Never take that for granted. Never think that you are secure upon the throne, but never think you are always in danger. You must strike a fine balance.” She heard her son snort, and she smiled. “It is indeed quite the precarious balancing act that one must do with a crown upon one’s head. God would not have it any other way. A sovereign cannot rest easy. Know that, and you will succeed.”

“I know that, Your Majesty.” James replied. His voice heavy.

“Now bring us, our grandchildren.” She commanded.

A door opened and she heard sombre voices telling children what to do. “Ahhh, the future. You shall all know when the time comes what your role shall be, but know that England loves you dearly.” She kissed them all on their heads and they withdrew after that. “James, take our hand.” Her son took it and her other sons stood around. “I shall tell your father hello, from you all. Know that I love you, and always have. God’s blessings upon you.” Anne closed her eyes and whispered. “I am coming, my love. I am coming.”

VVD0D95

Banned
Her Majesty Anne, Queen of the Kingdom of Great Britannia and Ireland. Born 1664, died 1714. Reigned 1687-1714. God Save the Queen!

363px-Anne1705.jpg