A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 192: Albany

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 192: Albany

January, 1721

Peace time continued to bore him. William had known from the moment he’d had a sword put into his hand that he would never be able to handle peace. There wasn’t much that could be done during peace other than politics, and he hated politics. True he dealt with the politicians as though they were enemy commanders, but it was not the same. He needed a good fight to keep him happy and away from the women who tried to constantly tempt him. He wasn’t even the King and yet women threw themselves at him, he did feel bad for his wife on occasion, but then reminded himself that he was a Prince and could enjoy himself on the occasional fling.

Thankfully, there had been some trouble in the north of Scotland recently, and so William had summoned the Dukes of Argyll and Atholl as well as the Marquess of Tweeddale to discuss matters. He looked at the men before him and said. “This constant obsession with cattle that the clans have, it is unhealthy and not right.” He had heard stories from his father and mother about the barbarity of the clans, he’d rarely seen it as a child but since moving to Scotland it was all he dealt with. Some cow fucker stealing another cow fucker’s cows, it was insanity.

“Indeed, Your Royal Highness, and yet it is the way the clans have operated for centuries.” John Murray, Duke of Atholl said.

“And they continue to shed unnecessary blood over it.” William replied. “Cows are not the be all and end all for this Kingdom anymore. We have other things to concern ourselves with and it is time the clans understood that.”

John Campbell, Duke of Argyll and whose son was betrothed to William’s daughter spoke then. “Your Royal Highness, the majority of the clans do understand that. Indeed, they have shifted away from raiding and pillaging toward farming. It is the cost of keeping tenants that drives some toward the old ways. And other rivalries that spark this.”

William placed a document before the group and said. “It is not just old rivalries; it is one rivalry that is bringing this to the fore.” He watched as the other men picked up the document and read it.

“Your Royal Highness, Simon Fraser is a liar and a cheat, but I do not think he would simply venture into this business without due cause.” The Duke of Atholl said.

“Funny you should say that,” William responded. “The Duke of Montrose believes that Fraser is doing this because he wants attention.”

Atholl did not know what to say, and so it fell to the Marquess of Tweeddale to speak. “Perhaps then we should not give him the attention he desires, Your Royal Highness. After all, like any childn, if they are not given the attention they crave, Fraser will eventually subside.”

William looked at Tweeddale, the man was an oddity, his family had once been the premier military commanders in Scotland, now they were nothing more than dandies and the occasional military genius. Tweeddale himself fell somewhere in between those two extremes. “And yet, I cannot simply allow him to go unchallenged. Not if the crown’s authority is to be respected.”

“In that instance, perhaps it would be best to remind Macdonald as well?” Argyll said then.

William looked at Argyll remembering that the man was friends with Fraser and said. “Has MacDonald been the aggressor throughout? No. But he shall also face justice.”

“How?” Atholl asked then. “He knows how to slip from one point to the next.”

William looked at Atholl and said. “He is a man who will never run from a fight. I have the army of the King at my call. I shall use it.” He had decided he had had enough of politicking, the time had come for decisive action.

“Your Royal Highness, are you sure that is wise?” Atholl asked. “It has been a long time since the crown marched on a member of the clans.”

“Fraser and MacDonald have broken the peace. They are traitors.” William said. “We deal with traitors by force.”

There was a brief pause and then Argyll asked. “When do we march?”

“In two days’ time.” William said.

Chapter 193: Le Grand Schemer

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 193: Le Grand Schemer

April, 1721

Not for the first time Louis wondered how his father and grandfather had managed to maintain the balance between being King and being a father. Especially now his children were of an age where they could talk back to him and perhaps didn’t see him as some God like figure. He wanted to be strict with them as he knew he should be as their King, but as their father he wanted the best for them, and sometimes those two beliefs contradicted one another. He supposed he was fortunate that Marie Adelaide was at his side to serve as a reminder of what he was, what they were.

He looked at his wife then, she looked slightly tired, and he knew that the strain of the stillbirths of past years still weighed heavily on her, but still she remained his dearest companion and his love. “You know, there are some who believe that we should be looking to change who our children marry.” He said as a way of bringing her slowly out of her funk. There was nothing that could do it like that.

“And who are these people who say such a thing?” Marie asked.

“Orleans mostly as well as Maine. Both of them have their own opinions on this matter, but I think that Orleans has it because he wants to marry his son to one of our daughters.” Louis said. He’d met Orleans son; the boy was an idiot and was nowhere near as smart as the father.

“You won’t give him that chance, will you?” Marie asked. She did not like Orleans, and he could not blame her. Louis’ cousin was a strange man who was a great warrior but a foolish politician who thought with his words more than his eyes.

“Of course not.” Louis said taking his wife’s hand. “I had actually wanted to discuss this matter with you.” He looked at his wife and when she nodded he continued. “The British continue to forestall on the matter of our daughter’s marriage to the Prince of Wales, therefore I had the feeling that we should offer them an alternative.”

“An alternative?” Marie Adelaide asked. “Who?”

“I feel that they do not want a French Princess in London given what happened the last time there was such a Princess serving as Queen. Instead, I suggest we over our son the Dauphin to their daughter the Princess Royal.” Louis said. “It is a good marriage and it ensures that they do not need to worry about the Catholic menace as they would call it, and it ensures that we keep our alliance.”

Marie Adelaide looked torn on the matter. “Maria Anna has been so looking forward to going to London though, my dear, and she knows all the history of the place until now. Would it do her good to be crushed in such a manner?”

Louis thought on that, whilst he did not want to see his daughter’s heart broken, he knew she was young and that she would be able to heal. “I think that this is better for her. In London, she will be made to feel miserable. At least this way she will not have to suffer to ignorance of the British.” As he said those words he felt himself reassured by them. He knew it was for the best, both as a Father and as king.

“And who would you recommend she marry instead?” Marie Adelaide asked. “She is of an age to marry after all, or soon will be.”

Louis thought on this and said. “If Leopold of Spain had a son of the right age I would suggest him, for it is important that we keep our alliance with them going. However, I feel that Pedro of Portugal would make the most sense. Portugal is growing richer away from the clutches of Spain and her alliance with Britain means we shall all be on friendly terms for a time.”

Marie did not seem impressed with his suggestion her eyes were narrowed. “You do not think an Austrian marriage is needed? Especially given the tension between us?”

Louis looked at his wife and asked. “Whom would you recommend?”

“You could recommend a marriage between our son and the Emperor’s daughter, or perhaps between the daughter of the Archduke of Flanders and our son. We need not change Maria’s marriage here. Especially as there are no boys of the right age for her.” Marie said.

Louis shook his head. “No, that would not do. Maria will not be happy in London.” He looked at his wife and said. “Britain is not a good place for Catholics and we both know our daughter, she will not convert to another religion. Better to look elsewhere for her.”

Marie looked as if she were about to protest but then she sighed. “You are right.”

“So, you support my decision?” Louis asked.

His wife nodded. “I do.”

Chapter 194: Defending a Prince

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 194: Defending a Prince

July, 1721

The chamber fell to a hush as Spencer Compton rose to speak, Robert watched the man he had once considered a friend and felt a slight tinge. “My honourable gentlemen, I ask the members of government before us, how they can justify the actions of the Duke of York and Albany in Scotland, when those same actions go against the same policies that His Majesty has stated are his aims.” There was a murmur there. Compton sat down and Robert rose.

“My honourable fellows, His Royal Highness was acting in accordance with the will of the King,” there were jeers then and Robert pushed on. “He was acting in accordance with the wish of the King that there be peace and plentiful security for all His Majesty’s subjects.”

Compton rose. “He attacked two clans without provocation and involved himself in an attempt to remove the traditional rights and privileges enjoyed by the clans.” That got a surprising amount of support from Compton’s benches, the Whigs usually hated the Clans.

“He was restoring order to where there had been chaos.” Robert retorted. “The two clans he attacked had broken the King’s peace and had violated the terms agreed upon in the Act of Union.”

Compton continued his attack though Robert suspected he was beginning to lose steam. “He went against their rights and privileges. For years, the clans have raided and attacked one another in their games and competitions and nothing has been considered awry. Indeed, when Clan MacDougal attacked Clan MacDonald five years ago, our King did not order such a thing and the Duke of York and Albany sat back and allowed it to happen. What then has changed?”

Robert had suspected this might come up and so he had prepared for it. “Clan MacDougal and Clan MacDonald acknowledged they had committed a grievous wrong against one another and against the crown and they paid back their fealty many times over since then. The two clans that His Royal Highness went after had done no such thing and were going to escalate into a wider conflict, which would have disturbed the peace.”

“You have evidence of this?” Spencer demanded.

“Yes, evidence that the King has seen.” Robert responded.

“And what about this House seeing such evidence?” Spencer asked. “How do we know that this evidence was not contrived in some back room in Hampton Court Palace?”

That sentence had the desired effect that Robert had been going for, almost immediately members on both sides of the house started muttering amongst themselves and whispering. Sir Thomas Hamner the speaker had to intervene then. “I would ask the honourable gentleman to recant that previous statement.”

Compton looked flustered, and Robert chanced a glance into the stands where the Duke of Gloucester was seated, the man flashed a smile at him and Robert nodded, he looked back to where Compton was blushing. “I apologise to His Majesty.” There was a pause and then Compton continued. “But this attack it violates everything we know and it brings about a worrying question of the respect that His Majesty’s government would show to traditional rights.”

Robert bit back a laugh, he knew what Compton actually thought about the traditional rights of the clans, instead he said. “When those rights impact the safety of His Majesty’s subjects, those rights must be put behind the pale and the subjects’ safety must become the priority.” He paused and then added. “Unless of course the right honourable gentleman would rather people died and lawlessness became the norm?”

That caused Compton to sputter and grit his teeth, before he eventually said. “Of course not.”

“So, we are agreed then?” Robert asked smiling. “There was no crime committed and no justification needed.”

“Yes.” Compton spat out.

Chapter 195: Italian Sun King?

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 195: Italian Sun King?

October, 1721

It had been seven years since his first wife had died. She had been his true companion in his early years when he’d been nothing but a scared young man. Now he was older and wiser, and he could appreciate the charms that his second wife Elisabeth brought him. She was smart, kind and jovial, but also knew when to be firm. Felipe greatly appreciated her, and knew that she was a fine Queen and an asset for him. He looked at her and pressed a quick kiss to her cheek then spoke.

“I have received word from our ambassador in Versailles, it appears that my brother wishes to exert influence over Tuscany once more.” Felipe said. His brother constantly infuriated him. He could not understand why the man did not leave Italy to him.

“What has he said this time?” Elisabeth asked, she was flicking through some papers that he had no doubt read the night before.

“He has decided that he will support the Modense candidate for the Tuscan succession and indeed has written to the Emperor to suggest as such.” Felipe said.

“That is not good at all.” Elisabeth replied. “The Modense boy has strong connections and an army to support him. No, you most write to His Holiness and advice him against recommending this agreement. And write to Britannia and Spain and seek to convince them against recognising this as well.”

Felipe bit his lip, he did not want to have to write to Spain, they had denied him his rightful place on the Spanish throne, but he supposed having them on his side was better than having more French influence in Italy. “I shall do so. Though there is no reason for the British to want to support me, they don’t have an interest in Italy, and besides they also want their heir married to Louis’ girl.”

“They do not want a French puppet sat in Tuscany, they would rather have someone who is of a reputation such as Lorraine, furthermore, they want someone who can defend themselves from France and if needs be us as well.” Elisabeth countered.

“Why would we want Tuscany?” Felipe asked.

“We don’t, my love, but just in case we did, they would know that Tuscany would be secure.” Elisabeth said.

Felipe thought on that and then he said. “I suppose I could also tempt them with opening up the routes towards Naples as well. They’ve always wanted a chance to get access to the Mediterranean.” He thought that perhaps might be a better condition for offering than some vague scenario.

“Indeed, do go for that.” Elisabeth said.

Felipe nodded, he gestured for a page boy to come and he wrote down the notes and sent it on with said boy. He then picked up one of the letters and said. “I am still not happy with the Spaniards sitting in Sicily, but I cannot declare war on them if I want them to support Lorraine as the heir to Tuscany.”

“Indeed not, my love.” Elisabeth replied. “However, you can instigate a revolt against them.”

“How?” Felipe asked though he suspected he already knew the answer.

“By planting the seeds of doubt into their minds about the taxation rates of the Spaniards and getting people to question just what they get from them.” Elisabeth responded.

“Hmm, this could work, though Emmanuel suggested it would not.” Felipe said.

“Emmanuel is a fool who thinks only in terms of war.” Elisabeth said. “You trust me do you not?”

“Of course.” Felipe replied.

“Then spread discord and you will get Sicily,” His wife replied.

I can see Louis supporting the Modenese pretender in more ways than one - like arranging the marriage between one of girls from cadet branches and him. Or even marrying Marie Elisabeth of France there (though agewise either Marie Louise Elisabeth d'Orleans or Charlotte of Orleans works).

VVD0D95

Banned
I can see Louis supporting the Modenese pretender in more ways than one - like arranging the marriage between one of girls from cadet branches and him. Or even marrying Marie Elisabeth of France there (though agewise either Marie Louise Elisabeth d'Orleans or Charlotte of Orleans works).
Agreed Tuscany will be a hot
Mess

Chapter 196: Carolus Rex

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 196: Carolus Rex

January, 1722

Charles had to admit, he hated being cooped up inside the palace, he would’ve preferred to be riding or out on the battlefield. But it was snowing and there had been no war for some time. Therefore, here he was, inside, listening to his councillors bickering like little children. He looked at his son, and saw that the boy also shared a similar expression to him. Charles smiled, his son reminded him a lot of himself at the same age, young, aggressive and assertive and impatient. Charles liked to think he had mellowed with age, but he had also had his wife Mary there to keep him in line. He needed someone similar for his son, if they were to prevent chaos coming to Sweden.

Eventually, he got tired of listening to the bickering and brought his fist down on the table, that silenced everyone. “Enough.” Charles commanded. “We have heard you bickering for hours now, and yet no one has answered our simple question. What is the state of the finances?”

Eric, Count of Sterre, his financial advisor and the one-person Charles actually liked on his council spoke then. “Sire, the rate of taxation has been stable and the economy is doing well thanks to the peace we have. Pomerania of course brings extra revenue in. Therefore, we are in the green and are doing well financially.”

“Good, thank you.” Charles said. He then asked. “And what of the army?” He wanted his army maintained at a high standard, for he knew the Russians or the Prussians would try something at some point, trying to get at him for what he had done during the last war.

“Sire,” That was Frederick, Eric’s brother and the man in charge of keeping the military running smoothly. “The army has all the latest equipment and the financial upkeep is fine. But I have a concern.” Charles gestured for the man to go on. “If there were to be a war tomorrow, I fear we would be on our own.”

Charles felt the old stirring of anger. “And that is an issue how?” He knew the question was impertinent that experience had taught him that having no allies in a fight considering who their neighbours where was suicidal but still, he was Carolus Rex, nobody challenged his skill.

Frederick seemed to have realised his mistake by what he said next. “Sire, it is not that it is an issue, but that it is a concern. Yes, we could fight the Russians and the Prussians and win, but we cannot fight them at the same time and hope to come out on top all the time.”

Before Charles could respond, his son spoke. “Then perhaps we ought to make it so that we can. Do we know what tactics the Prussians and the Russians are using?”

Charles was impressed by his son’s question; it was the question that Charles himself would’ve asked at the same age. He looked at Frederick who responded. “Your Royal Highness, we know the Prussians are using similar tactics to what the Austrians used to fight the Ottomans, mainly a full fronted assault backed up by cannon fire. They will look to use their infantry to sow discord before letting the cavalry come charging in.”

“And the Russians?” Charles asked. He knew how to handle the Prussians, but the Russians were the ones that really concerned him.

“I am not sure; my intelligence has been unable to probe deeper into their make-up. And all I can say for sure is that the Tsar has changed the commanders of the army since the war with the Ottomans.” Frederick said.

“Very well.” Charles said. He rose then and so did his councillors, he nodded to them and walked out of the room, his son followed him. They walked through the palace in silence, various courtiers and attendants bowed before them and then they got to his study, he closed the door behind him and then sat down. He looked at his son and asked. “Well?”

“They are all a bunch of idiots, arguing about minute details and forgetting the big picture.” Charles’s son said. “How do you not just snap at them?”

Charles smiled. “I have done so over the years, but I have also learned patience.”

“Ah.” His son responded. Then. “Though Frederick was right, we need allies do we not if there is to be another war?”

“Indeed.” Charles responded. “That is why I have sent missives to our ambassadors in Oldenburg and to Britain as well as to Saxony to broach the subject of marriages for you and your sister.”

His son looked surprised. “Saxony? That would be an interesting marriage, though isn’t the Elector’s son already engaged to the Emperor’s daughter?”

Charles nodded. “Betrothed yes, but betrothals can be broken, especially if it gives him the chance to outdoing the Prussians.”

His son nodded and then said. “I would not mind a marriage to a British Princess.”

Charles smiled. “I shall consider that.”

VVD0D95

Banned
So, an open question for you all, who do you think Charles' son and daughter should marry, both are in their late teens Charles junior is 19, his daughter 18.

Their cousins in Britannia: George, Prince of Wales, Anne, Princess Royal, a daughter of the Duke of Oldenburg, or the DUke of Oldenburg's son, and the heir to Saxony.
Better the English princess than the Oldenburg girl unless the latter is exceptionally well connected and richly dowered. Saxony would be the top candidate for the girl

VVD0D95

Banned
If for some reason they had the chance for a Danish match better go for it... peace with their closest neighbors/rivals would be then likely granted at least for some time (and also the Dutch would be a good match)
]
Very true, very true

Probably Saxony. Oldenburg is too weak, Brittannia is unlikely to get involved in Sweden's wars. Denmark would be a smart choice, it would continue to prevent the near constant two front war Sweden had to deal with in just about every war, but there's a lot of history there. I assume Charles would only accept his daughter marrying into the Danish royalty, and not the reverse. Less Danish influence in Stockholm. Not sure if the Elector of Saxony has a daughter though for Charles' son.

Probably Saxony. Oldenburg is too weak, Brittannia is unlikely to get involved in Sweden's wars. Denmark would be a smart choice, it would continue to prevent the near constant two front war Sweden had to deal with in just about every war, but there's a lot of history there. I assume Charles would only accept his daughter marrying into the Danish royalty, and not the reverse. Less Danish influence in Stockholm. Not sure if the Elector of Saxony has a daughter though for Charles' son.
Well if the Danish girl is the elder daughter and had just one brother she would bring a pretty good claim on her father’s crown with her...

VVD0D95

Banned

His daughter to the future Christian VI would be fascinating

His daughter to the future Christian VI would be fascinating
Agree.
Well if the Danish girl is the elder daughter and had just one brother she would bring a pretty good claim on her father’s crown with her...
Yes, Charlotte Amalie of Denmark is precisely in this situation as the only surviving sibling of future Chrisitian VI.
As for Saxony, they have no legit Princesses to offer. Only a proxy princess in form of Electress' niece, Christiane Sophie Wilhelmine of Brandenburg-Bayereth (b.1701, in OTL unmarried, though had 2 children out of wedlock).

Last edited:
An interesting situation would occur if it's Sweden stuck with Brandenburg-Kulmbach/Brandenburg-Bayereth Princess as Queen for the next generation, while Denmark gets the Queen of Royal pedigree, pretty much a reverse of OTL situation.

VVD0D95

Banned
An interesting situation would occur if it's Sweden stuck with Brandenburg-Kulmbach/Brandenburg-Bayereth Princess as Queen for the next generation, while Denmark gets the Queen of Royal pedigree, pretty much a reverse of OTL situation.

Oh interesting, I imagine that would deeply piss of Charles XII