A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 193: Le Grand Schemer
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 193: Le Grand Schemer

April, 1721

Not for the first time Louis wondered how his father and grandfather had managed to maintain the balance between being King and being a father. Especially now his children were of an age where they could talk back to him and perhaps didn’t see him as some God like figure. He wanted to be strict with them as he knew he should be as their King, but as their father he wanted the best for them, and sometimes those two beliefs contradicted one another. He supposed he was fortunate that Marie Adelaide was at his side to serve as a reminder of what he was, what they were.

He looked at his wife then, she looked slightly tired, and he knew that the strain of the stillbirths of past years still weighed heavily on her, but still she remained his dearest companion and his love. “You know, there are some who believe that we should be looking to change who our children marry.” He said as a way of bringing her slowly out of her funk. There was nothing that could do it like that.

“And who are these people who say such a thing?” Marie asked.

“Orleans mostly as well as Maine. Both of them have their own opinions on this matter, but I think that Orleans has it because he wants to marry his son to one of our daughters.” Louis said. He’d met Orleans son; the boy was an idiot and was nowhere near as smart as the father.

“You won’t give him that chance, will you?” Marie asked. She did not like Orleans, and he could not blame her. Louis’ cousin was a strange man who was a great warrior but a foolish politician who thought with his words more than his eyes.

“Of course not.” Louis said taking his wife’s hand. “I had actually wanted to discuss this matter with you.” He looked at his wife and when she nodded he continued. “The British continue to forestall on the matter of our daughter’s marriage to the Prince of Wales, therefore I had the feeling that we should offer them an alternative.”

“An alternative?” Marie Adelaide asked. “Who?”

“I feel that they do not want a French Princess in London given what happened the last time there was such a Princess serving as Queen. Instead, I suggest we over our son the Dauphin to their daughter the Princess Royal.” Louis said. “It is a good marriage and it ensures that they do not need to worry about the Catholic menace as they would call it, and it ensures that we keep our alliance.”

Marie Adelaide looked torn on the matter. “Maria Anna has been so looking forward to going to London though, my dear, and she knows all the history of the place until now. Would it do her good to be crushed in such a manner?”

Louis thought on that, whilst he did not want to see his daughter’s heart broken, he knew she was young and that she would be able to heal. “I think that this is better for her. In London, she will be made to feel miserable. At least this way she will not have to suffer to ignorance of the British.” As he said those words he felt himself reassured by them. He knew it was for the best, both as a Father and as king.

“And who would you recommend she marry instead?” Marie Adelaide asked. “She is of an age to marry after all, or soon will be.”

Louis thought on this and said. “If Leopold of Spain had a son of the right age I would suggest him, for it is important that we keep our alliance with them going. However, I feel that Pedro of Portugal would make the most sense. Portugal is growing richer away from the clutches of Spain and her alliance with Britain means we shall all be on friendly terms for a time.”

Marie did not seem impressed with his suggestion her eyes were narrowed. “You do not think an Austrian marriage is needed? Especially given the tension between us?”

Louis looked at his wife and asked. “Whom would you recommend?”

“You could recommend a marriage between our son and the Emperor’s daughter, or perhaps between the daughter of the Archduke of Flanders and our son. We need not change Maria’s marriage here. Especially as there are no boys of the right age for her.” Marie said.

Louis shook his head. “No, that would not do. Maria will not be happy in London.” He looked at his wife and said. “Britain is not a good place for Catholics and we both know our daughter, she will not convert to another religion. Better to look elsewhere for her.”

Marie looked as if she were about to protest but then she sighed. “You are right.”

“So, you support my decision?” Louis asked.

His wife nodded. “I do.”

Chapter 194: Defending a Prince
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 194: Defending a Prince

July, 1721

The chamber fell to a hush as Spencer Compton rose to speak, Robert watched the man he had once considered a friend and felt a slight tinge. “My honourable gentlemen, I ask the members of government before us, how they can justify the actions of the Duke of York and Albany in Scotland, when those same actions go against the same policies that His Majesty has stated are his aims.” There was a murmur there. Compton sat down and Robert rose.

“My honourable fellows, His Royal Highness was acting in accordance with the will of the King,” there were jeers then and Robert pushed on. “He was acting in accordance with the wish of the King that there be peace and plentiful security for all His Majesty’s subjects.”

Compton rose. “He attacked two clans without provocation and involved himself in an attempt to remove the traditional rights and privileges enjoyed by the clans.” That got a surprising amount of support from Compton’s benches, the Whigs usually hated the Clans.

“He was restoring order to where there had been chaos.” Robert retorted. “The two clans he attacked had broken the King’s peace and had violated the terms agreed upon in the Act of Union.”

Compton continued his attack though Robert suspected he was beginning to lose steam. “He went against their rights and privileges. For years, the clans have raided and attacked one another in their games and competitions and nothing has been considered awry. Indeed, when Clan MacDougal attacked Clan MacDonald five years ago, our King did not order such a thing and the Duke of York and Albany sat back and allowed it to happen. What then has changed?”

Robert had suspected this might come up and so he had prepared for it. “Clan MacDougal and Clan MacDonald acknowledged they had committed a grievous wrong against one another and against the crown and they paid back their fealty many times over since then. The two clans that His Royal Highness went after had done no such thing and were going to escalate into a wider conflict, which would have disturbed the peace.”

“You have evidence of this?” Spencer demanded.

“Yes, evidence that the King has seen.” Robert responded.

“And what about this House seeing such evidence?” Spencer asked. “How do we know that this evidence was not contrived in some back room in Hampton Court Palace?”

That sentence had the desired effect that Robert had been going for, almost immediately members on both sides of the house started muttering amongst themselves and whispering. Sir Thomas Hamner the speaker had to intervene then. “I would ask the honourable gentleman to recant that previous statement.”

Compton looked flustered, and Robert chanced a glance into the stands where the Duke of Gloucester was seated, the man flashed a smile at him and Robert nodded, he looked back to where Compton was blushing. “I apologise to His Majesty.” There was a pause and then Compton continued. “But this attack it violates everything we know and it brings about a worrying question of the respect that His Majesty’s government would show to traditional rights.”

Robert bit back a laugh, he knew what Compton actually thought about the traditional rights of the clans, instead he said. “When those rights impact the safety of His Majesty’s subjects, those rights must be put behind the pale and the subjects’ safety must become the priority.” He paused and then added. “Unless of course the right honourable gentleman would rather people died and lawlessness became the norm?”

That caused Compton to sputter and grit his teeth, before he eventually said. “Of course not.”

“So, we are agreed then?” Robert asked smiling. “There was no crime committed and no justification needed.”

“Yes.” Compton spat out.

Chapter 195: Italian Sun King?
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 195: Italian Sun King?

October, 1721

It had been seven years since his first wife had died. She had been his true companion in his early years when he’d been nothing but a scared young man. Now he was older and wiser, and he could appreciate the charms that his second wife Elisabeth brought him. She was smart, kind and jovial, but also knew when to be firm. Felipe greatly appreciated her, and knew that she was a fine Queen and an asset for him. He looked at her and pressed a quick kiss to her cheek then spoke.

“I have received word from our ambassador in Versailles, it appears that my brother wishes to exert influence over Tuscany once more.” Felipe said. His brother constantly infuriated him. He could not understand why the man did not leave Italy to him.

“What has he said this time?” Elisabeth asked, she was flicking through some papers that he had no doubt read the night before.

“He has decided that he will support the Modense candidate for the Tuscan succession and indeed has written to the Emperor to suggest as such.” Felipe said.

“That is not good at all.” Elisabeth replied. “The Modense boy has strong connections and an army to support him. No, you most write to His Holiness and advice him against recommending this agreement. And write to Britannia and Spain and seek to convince them against recognising this as well.”

Felipe bit his lip, he did not want to have to write to Spain, they had denied him his rightful place on the Spanish throne, but he supposed having them on his side was better than having more French influence in Italy. “I shall do so. Though there is no reason for the British to want to support me, they don’t have an interest in Italy, and besides they also want their heir married to Louis’ girl.”

“They do not want a French puppet sat in Tuscany, they would rather have someone who is of a reputation such as Lorraine, furthermore, they want someone who can defend themselves from France and if needs be us as well.” Elisabeth countered.

“Why would we want Tuscany?” Felipe asked.

“We don’t, my love, but just in case we did, they would know that Tuscany would be secure.” Elisabeth said.

Felipe thought on that and then he said. “I suppose I could also tempt them with opening up the routes towards Naples as well. They’ve always wanted a chance to get access to the Mediterranean.” He thought that perhaps might be a better condition for offering than some vague scenario.

“Indeed, do go for that.” Elisabeth said.

Felipe nodded, he gestured for a page boy to come and he wrote down the notes and sent it on with said boy. He then picked up one of the letters and said. “I am still not happy with the Spaniards sitting in Sicily, but I cannot declare war on them if I want them to support Lorraine as the heir to Tuscany.”

“Indeed not, my love.” Elisabeth replied. “However, you can instigate a revolt against them.”

“How?” Felipe asked though he suspected he already knew the answer.

“By planting the seeds of doubt into their minds about the taxation rates of the Spaniards and getting people to question just what they get from them.” Elisabeth responded.

“Hmm, this could work, though Emmanuel suggested it would not.” Felipe said.

“Emmanuel is a fool who thinks only in terms of war.” Elisabeth said. “You trust me do you not?”

“Of course.” Felipe replied.

“Then spread discord and you will get Sicily,” His wife replied.

Chapter 196: Carolus Rex
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 196: Carolus Rex

January, 1722

Charles had to admit, he hated being cooped up inside the palace, he would’ve preferred to be riding or out on the battlefield. But it was snowing and there had been no war for some time. Therefore, here he was, inside, listening to his councillors bickering like little children. He looked at his son, and saw that the boy also shared a similar expression to him. Charles smiled, his son reminded him a lot of himself at the same age, young, aggressive and assertive and impatient. Charles liked to think he had mellowed with age, but he had also had his wife Mary there to keep him in line. He needed someone similar for his son, if they were to prevent chaos coming to Sweden.

Eventually, he got tired of listening to the bickering and brought his fist down on the table, that silenced everyone. “Enough.” Charles commanded. “We have heard you bickering for hours now, and yet no one has answered our simple question. What is the state of the finances?”

Eric, Count of Sterre, his financial advisor and the one-person Charles actually liked on his council spoke then. “Sire, the rate of taxation has been stable and the economy is doing well thanks to the peace we have. Pomerania of course brings extra revenue in. Therefore, we are in the green and are doing well financially.”

“Good, thank you.” Charles said. He then asked. “And what of the army?” He wanted his army maintained at a high standard, for he knew the Russians or the Prussians would try something at some point, trying to get at him for what he had done during the last war.

“Sire,” That was Frederick, Eric’s brother and the man in charge of keeping the military running smoothly. “The army has all the latest equipment and the financial upkeep is fine. But I have a concern.” Charles gestured for the man to go on. “If there were to be a war tomorrow, I fear we would be on our own.”

Charles felt the old stirring of anger. “And that is an issue how?” He knew the question was impertinent that experience had taught him that having no allies in a fight considering who their neighbours where was suicidal but still, he was Carolus Rex, nobody challenged his skill.

Frederick seemed to have realised his mistake by what he said next. “Sire, it is not that it is an issue, but that it is a concern. Yes, we could fight the Russians and the Prussians and win, but we cannot fight them at the same time and hope to come out on top all the time.”

Before Charles could respond, his son spoke. “Then perhaps we ought to make it so that we can. Do we know what tactics the Prussians and the Russians are using?”

Charles was impressed by his son’s question; it was the question that Charles himself would’ve asked at the same age. He looked at Frederick who responded. “Your Royal Highness, we know the Prussians are using similar tactics to what the Austrians used to fight the Ottomans, mainly a full fronted assault backed up by cannon fire. They will look to use their infantry to sow discord before letting the cavalry come charging in.”

“And the Russians?” Charles asked. He knew how to handle the Prussians, but the Russians were the ones that really concerned him.

“I am not sure; my intelligence has been unable to probe deeper into their make-up. And all I can say for sure is that the Tsar has changed the commanders of the army since the war with the Ottomans.” Frederick said.

“Very well.” Charles said. He rose then and so did his councillors, he nodded to them and walked out of the room, his son followed him. They walked through the palace in silence, various courtiers and attendants bowed before them and then they got to his study, he closed the door behind him and then sat down. He looked at his son and asked. “Well?”

“They are all a bunch of idiots, arguing about minute details and forgetting the big picture.” Charles’s son said. “How do you not just snap at them?”

Charles smiled. “I have done so over the years, but I have also learned patience.”

“Ah.” His son responded. Then. “Though Frederick was right, we need allies do we not if there is to be another war?”

“Indeed.” Charles responded. “That is why I have sent missives to our ambassadors in Oldenburg and to Britain as well as to Saxony to broach the subject of marriages for you and your sister.”

His son looked surprised. “Saxony? That would be an interesting marriage, though isn’t the Elector’s son already engaged to the Emperor’s daughter?”

Charles nodded. “Betrothed yes, but betrothals can be broken, especially if it gives him the chance to outdoing the Prussians.”

His son nodded and then said. “I would not mind a marriage to a British Princess.”

Charles smiled. “I shall consider that.”

Chapter 197: Execution
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 197: Execution

April, 1722

James looked at his ministers and then asked. “The sentences for both Lord Fraser and Lord MacDonald have been issued have they not?” When William had sent word, he’d defeated both men in the field he’d been very happy, as well as relieved. He’d not wanted a prolonged war.

“Yes Sire,” Simon Harcourt, recently elevated to the peerage and also confirmed as Lord Chancellor for a third term said. “They were issued three days ago, and the lords are now on their way to ships bound for the new world.”

“Good. And their families?” James asked.

“Have abided by the terms of their surrender and have surrendered their weapons and have agreed to give three men of their clan to the new regiment that His Royal Highness shall be commanding.” Harcourt replied.

After the two men, had been defeated and surrendered into his brother’s custody there had been a great argument over what to do with them and their families. William had argued that they be executed down to the last man, but James had countermanded that and had instead decided that the lords themselves would be sent to America, and their families would be pardoned but would need to join a new regiment meant to keep the peace between the different clans. “Very good. Now that this has set a legal precedent, is there anything else that we must look out for?”

Harcourt shook his head. “No Sire, I have looked through the rolls of both Kingdoms, there is nothing within them that states that there can be a case of appeal further down the line.”

“Excellent.” James said. “Now let us move onto other matters. Henry, you had a matter you wished to discuss.”

Henry St John, Viscount Bolingbroke and newly promoted to Secretary of State for the Southern Department after the resignation of Stanhope, nodded. “Yes, Sire, I have received credible reports from our friends in Versailles that the King means to renege on his promise in regards to the Tuscan succession.”

James sighed, King Louis was acting more and more like his grandfather by the day, and it was beginning to grate on his patience. “What has he done now?” James asked.

“He has begun making overtures to the Duke and Duchess of Modena, offering them a bride for their son alongside recognising their son as the rightful claimant to Tuscany. In return he wants their son to open up the ports of Tuscany exclusively to French merchant ships, he also wants a removal of tariffs.” Bolingbroke said.

“Such audacity.” Walpole exclaimed.

“Indeed. Though there must be a reason he is feeling this confident to do this.” James said. “Louis would not simply venture into open war if he did not have reason to.”

“It is my understanding that he has fallen out with his brother King Philip of Naples. It seems that as a consequence, King Louis wishes to open up Tuscany to keep a foot in Italy, for he fears his brother means to reduce French trade completely.” Bolingbroke responded.

James looked at Bolingbroke his mind working in overtime processing this. If King Philip and King Louis were at odds perhaps there was a chance to get something from it. He thought for a moment and then said. “We believe to have found a way out of the current predicament for the French marriage.” His ministers listened intently. “We do not offer either our heir or our eldest daughter in marriage, but instead offer our daughter Louise Elisabeth to the Duke of Anjou, such a marriage worked before with our great aunt and the Duke of Orleans’ father. And it would remove fears from either side about conversion. We then suggest that King Louis consider a marriage between his heir and Archduke Charles’ daughter, as a means of tying the three of us together in an alliance.”

There was some confusion amongst his ministers. Walpole asked. “Sire, I understand the smartness of Her Royal Highness marrying the Duke of Anjou but I am not sure I understand why we should be the ones to suggest a marriage between the Dauphin and a daughter of our ally.”

“It would ensure that the Archduke has a stake in France, and it would also ensure that King Louis would not try something similar to what his grandfather did in terms of the Low Countries, as that would greatly anger his daughter by marriage’s father. Furthermore, it creates a wedge between the two Habsburg dynasties and ensures that Flanders and Brabant are more reliant on us and the French than Vienna.” James said quickly.

“But could France not simply use its closer proximity to tip Brabant toward it?” Walpole asked.

Bolingbroke spoke then. “They could try, but I think they would rather be content to see both Britannia and Brabant allied with them than against them. It is an unnatural alliance I agree, but it is one that could just work.”

There was a pause for consideration and then Walpole said. “Okay I see the sense in that. Though Parliament might not.”

James smiled. “And that is why you are here, Robert, to make them see sense in the grand plan.”

Family Tree for Charles XII of Sweden
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Charles XII family tree.jpg

Chapter 198: A Decisive Way To Be
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 198: A Decisive Way To Be

July, 1722

Louis looked around the room and he knew that there would be some tension as he spoke. “We have received some interesting proposals from the Britannic ambassador and we wish to hear our council’s thoughts on this matter.” He paused and then said. “In order to keep the peace, the King of the United Kingdom has said that he wishes to offer his daughter Princess Louise to our son Louis Alexander, he says and we agree with him, that this marriage would do wonders to ensure a peace between our two families and Kingdoms and remove any fear of either side trying to convert the other.”

There was a silence and then Dubois spoke. “Sire, I believe that this is a sensible move. Your Most Catholic Majesty is right to accord some consideration to this suggestion, for whilst the Princess is not directly in line to the throne the British will not worry about some attempt for conversion or a Catholic dynasty on our part. And as she is not marrying the Dauphin, we need not worry about some attempt to conversion to heresy on hers. I would recommend going through with this marriage.”

There were murmurs of agreement and then Orleans, the man whom he barely tolerated spoke. “And what about Your Most Catholic Majesty’s daughter? Was she not expecting a marriage to the Prince of Wales? Who then will she marry?”

Louis had long considered this and though he knew it would break his dear’s heart not to marry the Prince of Wales, she would do her duty. “She will marry our nephew and the heir to Naples, Louis. The marriage will serve to bring our two Kingdoms closer together.”

Louis knew his brother had not taken well to what he had been considering with Tuscany, but then again, his brother had always had odd ideas and was led by his cock. This way a marriage would ensure that nothing would go out of hand. Orleans of course had to ask. “And what of the Prince of Modena? Your Most Catholic Majesty has promised to support him and his claim to Tuscany once the Medici have died, and yet the King of Naples has written to the Pope to ask for a veto on this matter.”

Louis kept his smile in place as he said. “We have thought on this. Your connections in Rome will come in useful, cousin. You shall write to the Cardinal and tell him that this is in the Holy See’s interest. Modena is more likely to follow both our mutual interests whilst Lorraine will do what the Emperor tells him to.”

“His Holiness might not be convinced, given the actions of past French Kings.” Orleans said.

Louis knew the man was referring to his grandfather and this time decided to ignore that jibe. “He will be swayed when he knows that the Prince of Modena shall be married to our sister , and your heir to Modena’s daughter.”

His cousin looked shocked by this, and Louis nodded. “I am honoured, Sire.” Orleans said.

“Good, now write to your friend in Rome and inform him of this.” Louis commanded.

“At once, Sire.” Orleans said.

“What of me, Sire?” His son Louis August asked.

“You shall marry Maria Theresa, daughter of the Archduke of Flanders.” Louis said. “It is a prestigious match and shall secure our northern border, whilst also bringing the Archduke closer to us and away from Vienna.”

His son nodded in acceptance and Dubois spoke. “A wise marriage, Sire. Though, there is one suggestion I have.”

“Go on.” Louis commanded.

“Perhaps we should also consider further tying the British to our side.” Dubois replied.

“What did you have in mind?” Louis asked.

“Perhaps a marriage between Your Most Catholic Majesty’s sister Her Royal Highness Princess Anne to a son of the King of the United Kingdom, or perhaps if that is not appropriate the daughter of the Duke of Orleans to a son of the King.” Dubois said.

Before Orleans could protest, Louis said. “We shall offer our cousin of Orleans to the King’s son, the Duke of Cambridge.”

Chapter 199: Shahu
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 199: Shahu

October, 1722

Shahu stretched out and examined himself in the looking glass. There was a little bit of fat around his stomach but with the campaign to come that should disappear. He nodded approvingly to himself, and then turned to look at his son. Shiva was young, handsome and smart. And unlike their cousins, he had the sense to know when to speak and when not to. That was encouraging. His recent engagement to the Princess of Ajmer had also been a boon.

They walked out of the room, and into the audience chamber where his ministers were waiting. He had maintained the same ministers as his father had had with the exception of two deaths. Still, that was better than most. He sat down on the elaborate jewelled throne and gestured for the others to sit. “So,” he began. “Where do we stand?”

Jadhav spoke. “Sire, the soldiers are completely trained and are ready to march.”

Shahu smiled. “Good, and their fitness?” He did not want an army where the soldiers would suddenly drop like flies. He expected a long siege in Delhi.

“They are ready come high water or cold. They will not surrender.” Jadhav said with pride.

“Excellent.” Shahu replied. “Gaiconde, what are the state of our finances?”

Gaiconde was one of the men he had brought into the fold after his father’s death, mainly because his father’s finance minister had died alongside his father of the fever. The man was a hard worker and knew when to talk and when not to. “Sire, we are in the green. We have enough funds to ensure a campaing up to the next year and a half.”

“Good.” Shahu replied. “And the British and Portuguese, have they maintained their end of the bargain?”

“They have, Sire.” Gaiconde said. “Not a single shipment of food or arms has left the seven islands or Goa in two years.”

“Excellent.” Shahu said. He clapped his hands together. “Gentlemen, we have waited for years for this moment to come. Our late father ensured we had the tools to see it through. Now we shall progress into greatness. Delhi is there for the taking. We shall not fail.”

His son spoke then. “We have the support of the Rajputs and the Sikhs. Word has come from their Guru that they intend to hit Delhi from the north.”

“And they have agreed to our conditions?” Shahu asked. The Sikhs were fighters he would give them that much credit, but he was not sure if they would bend the knee should he stake his claim as Emperor of Bharat.

“They have. They shall give one of their daughters over to us for marriage.” Shiva said.

“Perfect.” Shahu rose then. “Gentlemen we all know what needs to be done. We shall be departing on the morrow for the march to Delhi. Gaiconde you shall remain in charge here until we summon you to Delhi. Everyone else, prepare yourselves for a good night’s sleep, for tomorrow we complete our destiny!”

“Long Live the Emperor!” was the shout that went around. Shahu waved his hands and then walked out, knowing his history and destiny was about to be made.

Chapter 200: Fall of Delhi
  • VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 200: Fall of Delhi

January, 1723

Raif looked at the men running up and down, shifting their weight and bringing cannons and other weapons to the walls. He had never thought he would face such an invasion so soon. But then he had also thought he’d perhaps never inherit the throne. The fact his father had had his cousins killed, was the main reason he was on the throne. Raif stood on top of the north wall and looked into the distance. There was no army on the horizon, but they would be coming. Of that he knew.

He turned as a general approached. “Sire, word has come from Hodal.”

Immediately, Raif straightened and asked. “What news?” Hodal was where he had sent his general Bairam Khan to fight against the Maratha army. He had worried over Bairam’s trustworthiness, but the man had crushed an insurrection at Panipat months ago.

“Defeat for Bairam’s army, Sire.” The general said.

Raif nodded, his face expressionless though inside he was screaming. “And Bairam?”

“Dead, Sire.” The general replied.

Raif nodded. “Very well, return to your post.”

“Sire.” The general responded. He hurried off, Raif turned back to look out over the wall. So, Bairam was dead, his army defeated. There would be men returning from the battle, no doubt fleeing. He summoned for his squire. “Tell the generals to allow only those who bear our colours to return. Anyone else is to be killed on sight.”

“Sire.” The squire said before he hurried off to give the message along.

Raif took a deep breath. Soon enough, there would be battle and there would be war. His dynasty had ruled India since Babur had defeated the Lodhis at Panipat and now they were facing their destruction. He wondered if there was anything they could’ve done to prevent it. But there was nothing that came to mind. They were too ingrained in the mentality of the Turks of old. He sighed. There was no point in thinking about the past. Now only the present mattered. A squire came hurrying over to him. “Sire, one of the generals has spotted an army in the distance.”

Raif stuck his hand out for the looking glass. He put it to his eye and looked out. There was an army coming toward them, elephants, and cavalry and also mounted cannons. It was an interesting and terrifying sight. He pulled the looking glass away and said. “Very well.” He handed it back to the squire and turned. The men were all looking at him.

He cleared his throat and said. “Today we are to fight for our survival. In the future, they will speak not of what we achieved before, but of what we achieved today. We must stand and fight. We must ensure that those who would seek to replace us, that those who would seek to destroy us do not win. We are the descendants of Babur and this is our city, this is our empire.”

There were roars from the soldiery. “Long Live The Empire!”

“Long Live The Emperor!”

Raif nodded. “Today we fight, and we shall live and die by the sword.” Just as he finished, he heard a loud boom and then he was falling, falling, falling.

Chapter 201: Bolingbroke
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 201: Bolingbroke

April, 1723

Henry straightened out the papers before him, cleared his throat and at a nod from the King spoke. “Sire, we have received good news from Versailles. King Louis has agreed to the betrothal between Her Royal Highness Princess Louise and the Duke of Anjou. He has also agreed that Her Royal Highness can begin her lessons in her new faith now before she is sent off for the marriage.”

He saw the King nod, that had been a point the King had worried about, the girl was young yet, there was a concern understandably so about sending her off to France now rather than in a few years’ time. “King Louis has also suggested another marriage for our two Kingdoms. One between His Royal Highness the Duke of Cambridge and King Louis’s cousin the Princess Philippine Elisabeth of Orleans.”

There was a murmur then, and Robert Walpole that man Henry tolerated but did not like asked. “What has he asked for in return.”

“Nothing, only a continuation of the alliance we currently have.” Henry responded.

“Nothing?!” Walpole exclaimed. “He is the Sun King’s grandson; he would not have demanded nothing. There must be some catch to his suggestion.”

Henry shook his head. “Unless you are able to read his mind, there has been no indication that he will demand anything else. He simply wishes to keep the alliance going and has suggested this marriage as an appropriate one.”

Before Walpole or anyone else could voice an objection, the King spoke. “Very well, we are happy to agree to such a marriage. Tell our ambassador in Versailles that we shall consent to these betrothals and as such shall begin education our daughter at once.”

“Yes Your Majesty.” Henry said making a note of that.

Richard Boyle, Viscount Shannon and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland spoke then. “Sire, that is not going to sit well with Parliament. His Royal Highness is second in line to the throne behind His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, and as such, the threat of having a Catholic Queen is still present.”

Henry looked at Boyle and felt his dislike for the man intensify, he did not know why the King kept him on in his position. “Are you suggesting that His Majesty might die early?” Henry found himself asking.

Boyle quickly recanted and flushed. “Of course not, but I am voicing a concern that many will have.”

Before Henry could reply, the King spoke. “We understand your concern, however, our sons have quite the age difference. By the time James is married, our son George will have married and would have had children.” The King looked at Henry then and asked. “To that end, what has been the reception from Hanover?”

After it had become clear that the French marriage for his heir would not be happening the King had become quite insistent that the least that could be done was a marriage with a Protestant power, Denmark had no daughters, and Sweden was already tied, so Hanover was where they looked. Quite amusing when one considered how much the King’s mother had despised Hanover. “The Elector of Hanover has expressed considerable interest in the marriage, Sire. Indeed, it is only the Elector’s daughter by marriage who seems opposed to it.”

“Why would she be opposed to seeing her daughter named a Queen?” Robert Walpole asked incredulously.

Henry shrugged. “She had some strange notion that she might be able to have her daughter become the wife of her sister’s son. But the Elector and his son have ignored her there.”

“So, the marriage will be agreed?” The King asked.

“Yes, Sire. And she will come with quite the dowry as well.” Henry said. He had managed to increase the amount the girl would come with quite considerably by applying charm to the Elector.

“Excellent.” The King said.

“There was one other issue that I wished to raise with Your Majesty before the recess, Sire.” Henry said nervously.

“Go on.” The King said.

“The current governor of New York is looking to retire into his pension, and as such we are required to appoint a new one.” Henry said. He’d thought through this a lot and the only candidate he could think of who would be worth anything was the King’s own cousin. But he did not know how that would be received given the man’s father’s reputation.

“And who are the list of candidates you are considering?” The King asked.

“There is only one person I consider worthy of taking up the position, Sire.” Henry said.

“And who is that?” The King asked.

“Your Majesty’s cousin, the Earl of Clarendon.” Henry said.

Walpole spoke then. “Absolutely not!”

“Why?” Henry fired back.

“The man’s father was corrupt and took bribes and tried to force his hand in too many colonial affairs beyond the scope of his powers. Furthermore, he dressed as a woman!” Walpole shot back.

“That was his father, not Clarendon now. Clarendon has improved the fortunes of his estates in the short time he’s been in charge of them, furthermore, he is a hard worker and has already presented several ideas that the Governor of New York implemented which has improved life there. I think he is the right choice.” Henry argued.

“The colonials will not like it. They will abhor being governed by that fool’s son.” Walpole said.

Henry was about to speak when the King spoke. “Robert, we believe you are letting your own biases cloud your judgement. Henry is right, the son is not the father. Furthermore, Edward has shown that he is capable. Indeed, the suggestions he has made to the colonial administration has been quite useful as well.” The King looked at Henry. “Send word to the governor of New York, inform him of who his replacement will be. We shall speak with Edward.”

“Yes, Sire.” Henry said quite happy to have got one over Walpole.

Russian Family tree
  • That's provisionally how House of Romanov (and House of Kettler) look TTL:
    Peter I issue:
    From Eudoxia Lopukhina:
    Alexis II (b.1690) m. Henriette Mary of Nassau-Orange (aka "Maria Vilgelmovna" in Russian court (I figure she'll probably convert later in life, but like Anna Leopoldovna, would not be forced to change patronymic to a symbolic/invented one)
    Issue:
    Peter II of Russia b. 1713 (married in 1730 to Princess Varvara Alexeevna Cherkasskaya (b.1711))
    Natalya of Russia b.1715 (married in 1735 to Prince Ludwig Gruno of Hesse-Homburg (b.1705), a field marshal in service of her father)
    Maria of Russia b.1718, abbess of Ascension Convent in Moscow​

From Anna Mons (divorced 1703, died 1711):
    Anna Petrovna b.1696; Duchess of Courland since 1712 as wife of Frederick Wilhelm Kettler (1692-1730)
    Issue:
    Prince Leopold Peter Kettler (b.1714), married to Johanna Elisabeth of Holstein-Gottorp (b.1712) in 1731
    Anna Sophia Kettler (b.1715)
    Prince Wilhelm Frederick Kettler (b.1717)
    Elizabeth Maria Kettler (b.1718)
    Christine Dorothea Kettler (b.1720)
    Prince Alexander Kettler (b.1722)
    Charlotte Louise Kettler (b.1725)​

Tsarevich Alexander Petrovich (1698-1701), died in infancy

Elizabeth "Lizette" Petrovna (b.1702), married to Prince William Gustav of Anhalt-Dessau (b.1699) in 1722
    Issue:
    William Ludwig, Prince of Anhalt (b.1724)
    Wilhelmine Elizabeth (b.1726)
    Peter Albert, Prince of Anhalt (b.1727) - the last child of the couple, after his birth the couple de-facto separated since William Gustav abandoned his wife in favor of a commoner mistress, causing great scandal at Dutch court and some understanding at Dessau court​

From Princess Maria Cantemir (m.1716)
    Tsarevich Peter Petrovich (b.1717) aka Petru VIII of Moldavia de-jure since 1724 (de-facto under regency). Married to Smaranda Ghika (b.1720) in 1736
    Issue: Alexandru IX of Moldavia (b.1738)
    Maria Romanova-Cantemir (b.1740)
    Smaranda Romanova-Cantemir (b. 1740, twin of the above; birth of twins was taxing on their mother; while Priness Smaranda survived, she was unable to have further children (which is still better than her OTL fate, when she died giving birth to her first and only son)​

Last edited:
    Chapter 202: Sun King of Portugal
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 202: Sun King Of Portugal

July, 1723

“Speak.” John said. He had called this meeting late at night on the insistence of his minister, and he wanted to know what had disturbed him from celebrating his wife’s birth date with her. they had just about to get intimate as well.

“Sire,” Diogo, his chief minister began. “Word has finally arrived from Goa.” John listened intently, word from Goa meant either good or bad things. “Delhi has fallen, the Mughals have been removed.”

John listened and heard the words and still had to ask. “When you say removed, what do you mean?”

“They have been destroyed. The Badshah has been killed alongside his family, and his generals surrendered. Delhi belongs to the Maratha King Shahu now.” Diogo said.

John hears this information, a wide range of emotions flick through him. they’d already thrown their whims behind the Marathas, done so on the advice of their man in Goa who had spoken of how unstoppable the Maratha war animal was. And now Delhi had fallen. “What does this mean for us?” He asked. “What have the British done?” He knew the British controlled the Seven Islands, which made them rivals for trade in India, but their agreement had meant that as long as the Mughals had remained in power in Delhi they had a common ally and enemy, now? Now he was not sure.

“The British do not know yet, Sire.” Diogo said. “I made sure that the message being sent to them was intercepted by our own system of spies.”

John nodded. “Good.” He thought on this. “Now that they hold Delhi, what will the Marathas do? Will they respect our agreement and leave us Goa or will they attempt to take it?”

Diogo shook his head. “I do not think they will break our agreement, Sire. They will need to pacify Delhi and the lands around it first before they can focus anywhere else. They also have to deal with the Sikhs.”

“So, there is still reason for us to continue good relations with them?” John asked.

“Yes, Sire.” Diogo said. “We can continue supplying them with weapons and the newest developments, furthermore, now that he has Delhi the new Emperor will want to open up with trade. He knows we will offer a more resolute and fairer trading agreement than the British are wont to do.”

“Very well.” John said. “And of course he has shown himself to be more willing to accept Christian missionaries in his lands than the Muslims ever were.” Cardinal Silva nodded his agreement there, and John made up his mind on what to say next then. “Send word to our man in Goa, tell him to acknowledge the change in power, and offer his services. And send a letter to Delhi, inform the new Emperor of India that we recognise his right to rule and look forward to doing trade with him.”

“Yes, Sire.” Diogo said, making quick notes on that once more.

John deciding he’d had enough of that for now said. “The Spanish Queen wrote to us personally demanding to know where we stand on the matter of a marriage between our son and her daughter. What would our ministers advise?” Personally, John wished to avoid another marriage to Spain, but he was beginning to wonder if he could really do that.

The Cardinal spoke then. “Sire, I believe a marriage with Spain is sensible. They are our nearest neighbour and have offered a large dowry for the girl. It would not make sense to go against them.”

Diogo countered with. “The Spanish are no longer the great power they once were. They do not have the means to bully or cajole us anymore, Sire. I think a marriage to them would simply give them the wrong impression.”

“Who would you suggest then?” The Cardinal demanded.

“A daughter of the Holy Roman Emperor.” Diogo said. “She is of a similar age to the Prince, and she is said to be beautiful, furthermore, the Queen of Spain cannot be annoyed with this marriage as it is to her niece.”

John thought on this and then said. “We would rather be tied to the most powerful man in Christendom than a power that is no longer a power. Send word to Vienna, we shall like our son wed to the Emperor’s daughter.” He thought on it then and added. “And send word to London, we wish to discuss marrying our second son to a Princess of their realm.”

“Yes, Sire.” Diogo said hurriedly.

Chapter 203: Winds of Change
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 203: Winds of Change

October, 1723

It was howling outside. It always bloody rained here, but Edmund Fitzgerald, brother to the Earl of Kildare, and an army captain in his own right knew that the rain was good cover for this meeting. His brother did not know about any of this, and if he had done, he likely would not have cared. The Earl of Kildare was a man indifferent to most things that weren’t his own political advancement.

Edmund cleared his throat and the meeting began. “We’ve got news from Dublin. The Lord Lieutenant is going to be visiting the castle in two weeks’ time. He’s been sent here by the King after an argument over something to do with the equipment of the army.”

McShane, the leader of their little group snorted. “Let me guess, the Lieutenant wanted to keep the equipment the same and didn’t want to fork out the money to pay for improvements?”

“Exactly right.” Edmund said nodding in agreement. “He claimed there was no threat to the Lieutenancy and that there wasn’t likely to be a war, therefore, he saw no reason to pay more money.”

“And do you know what the King did?” McShane asked.

“Told him to remember who was King and sent him here.” Edmund said barely containing a laugh.

“That means we have a few weeks to prepare and take as much of the weaponry as we can from the surrounding garrisons.” McShane said. “It also means we’re going to need to have a mole inside the Lieutenant’s camp when he arrives.”

“My grandson is already serving as the cupbearer for the Deputy Lieutenant, and will be appointed to being the Lieutenant’s cupbearer. The man knows how to talk, and my grandson knows how to listen. You need not worry about that.” Edmund said.

“Will your grandson know how to listen out for key words?” Seamus O’Neil asked. O’Neil a descendant of the former Kings of Tyrone was the man they were going to use should their little plan go accordingly, and he was an intimidating one. Tall, muscular, with a mop of auburn hair and a strong beard as well. He was a proven warrior and had most of the Catholic clans under his sway.

“Yes, he knows what to look out for. My youngest son is also in Dublin and will be attending the Lieutenant also, so will be there to funnel information through as well.” Edmund said.

“And what of your brother?” O’Neil asked. “He serves as Deputy, does he know anything about this? What is there to prevent him from acting on any information he himself might be given?”

“He wants a promotion; he knows that he has it in his sights. But I have a friend at court who will whisper that he has tried to impede the Lieutenant’s progress. Once he is denied that promotion he will be on our side.” Edmund said.

“You are sure of this?” O’Neil asked.

“Most definitely.” Edmund said, he knew his brother and he knew just how ambitious the man was. His ambition would be his downfall.

“How very conniving of you.” O’Neil said.

Edmund smiled. “Anything for the cause.”

Chapter 204: Swedish House Rules
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 204: Swedish House Rules

January, 1724

Charles, heir to the throne of Sweden looked around the room. There were servants standing against the wall, their faces expressionless. He grinned as his eyes passed over a young lady who was his mother’s favourite servant, he’d had his way with her a few days ago and was looking forward to doing the same after this meal. This had always been something that Mother had championed, family meals where they shut the court out and it was just the four of them. Three of them now really, what with Anne having married that idiot in Denmark. They would sit and talk about their day, usually it was Mother grilling either him or Anne on their lessons.

Charles decided he would start first. “I had an interesting day today. I read ‘The Two Theories of Government’ by Locke.”

Both father and mother looked up then. “How did you get that book?” Father demanded.

“And how did you find it?” Mother asked.

“Count Frederick gave me a copy.” Charles answered looking at his father, he turned his attention to his mother and said. “I found it confusing. Locke states that the sovereign can only have as much power as he is granted by God, but also argues that an elected body of representatives must serve to limit the power of the sovereign. How can elected representatives limit the power of God’s chosen?”

Mother who had met Locke herself once or twice laughed. “Locke was always someone who contradicted himself. He believed that rights were God Given and they could not be taken away at whim.”

Father snorted. “Then he was a fool. Whatever rights the people have, they were either won through war, or they were granted by their rulers.”

Charles nodded he’d heard this discussion before. He was not interested in it, what he wanted to discuss was the theories. “But if Locke believes that the sovereign gets their power from God, why then must there be an elected legislature? Surely that legislature would do everything it could take the power of the sovereign away? Like the Parliament in Britannia does to Uncle James?”

“Yes, but there are ways you can control the legislature. Just like here the Riksdag does nothing without the King’s approval, in Britannia, the legislature’s members are controlled by the King and other patrons.” Mother replied.

“What do you mean?” Charles asked. He had never quite understood how his mother’s home country’s system worked.

“Essentially, in the lower chamber which is elected, members are backed by a patron. That patron usually controls the entire area where they are elected to, and can dictate how the electors in that area vote. And if the King wants someone particular in, then that person will usually get voted in. It is why my brother has never had a Parliament that has stood against him, unlike my mother or grandfather did.” Mother replied.

Charles thought on that and then asked. “But then does that system not rely completely on the sovereign being active and having an understanding of politics? Otherwise then there would be little more to it than the Lords sending their cronies into Parliament.”

“Indeed it does.” Mother replied.

“So, such a system would not work here.” Charles surmised.

“Why, are you not politically smart?” Father quipped.

Charles laughed at his father’s joke. “That’s not what I meant. What I meant was that the system here is completely different. There are no patrons controlling seats, it’s simply people chosen by their citizens to stand and vote as their conscious and their loyalty to the King dictates. They could never be controlled by anyone other than their King.”

“At least you have learned something.” Father said.

“Indeed.” Charles replied smiling.

“Remember to show that side of yourself when you meet your intended.” Mother said.

Charles nodded, though he swallowed nervously at the thought of meeting his cousin Anne, she was said to be quite smart, and that in itself both excited him and terrified him.

Chapter 205: Newly Weds
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 205: Newly Weds

April, 1724

Sweden, she had not known she would be wed to Sweden until perhaps a year and a half a go. And she had done all she could to make sure that she was prepared for it. Anne had met her husband for the first time, the day of their wedding. Crowds had lined the streets to see her arrive, and then marry their prince. She had met her aunt for the first time as well, Mary Stuart, whom her father spoke so highly of. And then there had been King Charles, or King Karl as he was known, who had such an aura about him.

Her husband had smiled at her and said all the right words, but on that day Anne had sensed he was guarded and reluctant to share. Since then she had tried to break down the walls he had put up, and it seemed she had succeeded if only slightly, for he had invited her to afternoon tea. They were drinking it, something from the Portuguese colony in Goa, she believed, or somewhere else. She picked up a paper on the table and read it. “You read Locke?” She asked in French, she was learning Swedish but was not confident in it just yet, but both she and her husband as well as her parents by marriage were fluent in French so that was the language they tended to speak in.

“I have done.” Charles said. “Do you?”

“I read it many years ago.” Anne said. She’d read it mainly to prove to herself that she was just as smart as George was. “What did you make of it?”

“It, or him?” Her husband asked in return.

“Both.” Anne replied.

“I found his theory of two governments to be nonsensical in that he tried to have it applied to all nations and Kingdoms. Something that is simply not possible. I found Locke to be an arrogant man, confident in everything he said with no sense.” Charles said honestly. “What about you?”

Anne thought for a moment, she had never met Locke for he had died before she had been born, but her father had been tutored by the man, and had despised him. Mother had read some of his work and found it negligible. She had read it then and well. “I think that Locke assumes too much in his work, and forgets that humanity is driven by emotions as much as it is logic and reason. I also think he greatly over estimates the desire of the British people to be ruled by elected representatives.”

“What do you mean?” Charles asked.

“What I mean is that from my understanding many of the common folk simply assume that the King has all the power, by virtue of being King and crowned by God. They assume the representatives that get sent to Parliament are simply there to advise the King. And to some extent they are right, and here being where Locke falls down. He thinks that the representatives as they are now being enough for a separation of powers. But they are not. The King is the only thing standing between Parliament and tyranny.” Anne replied.

She could tell from her husband’s expression that he was surprised that she had said what she had. And that surprised her. Surely he did not take her for a fool, especially given who his mother was? Eventually her husband replied. “An understandable view point and one I agree with.” There was a pause as the man seemed to consider his words. “What do you make of Hobbes?”

Anne bit her lip, her husband truly did not seem to be the fool she had first thought him to be. Perhaps there was hope in this marriage yet. “I believe Hobbes has the right idea, but that he too is wrong on the perspective of humanity. I believe that humanity needs order and structure, but that logic also is a reason for this not just emotion.”

“How so?” Her husband asked.

“Logic dictates structure, we cannot have people simply co-existing without someone being in charge, that is not how humanity has ever worked. Logic as much as the risk of humanity’s emotions dictates the structure we have today.” Anne surmised.

“I see.” Her husband responded.

“What do you think?” Anne asked.

Her husband said nothing for a moment and then. “I think I agree with Hobbes. Sweden is not England, but it is a Kingdom that requires a firm hand in the form of the sovereign. Otherwise there will be nothing but anarchy.” There was a long pause and then Charles said. “I feel that I should apologise.”

“Whatever for?” Anne asked.

“For acting as I have done these past few months. You did not ask for this marriage more than I did. Therefore, I feel I owe you an apology for that.” Charles said.

That was surprisingly manly for her husband or for any young man she had ever known including her brothers. George would never have apologised and James would’ve laughed and gone on about his business. Not Charles though, and in that moment she felt the first stirrings of interest in her husband. “You are forgiven.” She replied smiling, she felt the stirring grow when her husband smiled in response, he had a very nice smile.

Chapter 206: Viscount Shannon
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 206: Viscount Shannon

July, 1724

Richard looked at the men in the room with him, and in the back of his mind felt the old nagging sensation. It was a sense that had developed during his time as a soldier, and it had not gone away. Perhaps that was why he had not died during the attempt on his life a few months earlier. He had suspected something and gone the different way. Still, someone had spoken to the traitors, and they were in this room. Kildare was too full of himself and ambitious to side with rebels, who would likely just have him hung if they succeeded. Arran was loyal to the King beyond doubt. Wyndham owed his position as chief judge in Ireland to the Protestant ascendancy nothing else mattered to him. And then there was St John Broderick who varied from place to place. Richard didn’t know what to make of him.

He looked at them all and then spoke. “We’ve received word on what these foolish idiots were planning.” All the men in the room straightened at that. “It seems their plans were to bring about revolution through killing me and some of the other men in this room. They intended to then seize Dublin Castle and declare an independent Kingdom of Ireland. It seems they had a candidate in mind to be King of Ireland also, a man named O’Neil.”

Kildare spoke then. “That’s not possible, the O’Neil clan died out during the reign of King James I.”

“Well either way the men we have spoken to claim that they were planning on doing this. Of course since their plan has failed, their leaders have since sunk back into the shadows and are now waiting for us to make a mistake.” Richard said.

“I still think we send the army in and have them destroy the rebel strongholds.” Kildare responded.

“That would be illegal.” Wyndham said. “We do not have a legal cause to send in the army, and we certainly don’t have a legal cause to send the army into people’s homes. Especially when who exactly the leaders of this little uprising are still unknown to us.”

“We have a legal cause.” Kildare fired back. “They tried to assassinate the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, a crime that is treason in every single way. As for not knowing who their leaders are, well that’s why we send in the army. Send them in, and the leaders will have to come out or they will lose face.”

“It is illegal. And the attempt failed, and the Lord Lieutenant himself has issued a general amnesty. To break that now would discredit His Majesty.” Wyndham replied.

Before Kildare spoke, Richard spoke. “I agree with Wyndham. Sending the troops in will not work. Even if I were of a mind to allow it, I do not think the troops would be willing to fire on their own countrymen.”

“Then bring in soldiers from England and Scotland. People who have nothing invested in this fight.” Kildare insisted.

“No. And that is final.” Richard said. He gestured to one of the servants for a cup of wine. The boy moved forward and poured a full glass. Richard thanked him and then looked back at Kildare. “I intend to settle this politically.”

“How?” Kildare asked.

Richard took a sip of the wine, it was surprisingly bitter, but he liked it. He took another sip, there, that was better. “I intend to look at the validity of introducing voting rights to the non-conforming Protestants within Ireland.”

Kildare seemed outraged. “You cannot be serious.”

Richard coughed. “I am.”

“That would violate everything. Parliament would never stand for it.” Kildare fumed.

Richard coughed again, he felt a bit of spittle come out that time and hurriedly wiped it away. He picked up a piece of paper. “This document from the King says that Parliament is irrelevant here.”

Kildare looked as if he might have a fit. Before he could speak, Wyndham said. “You can try to do that, my lord, but someone will try and overturn the decision.”

Before Richard could reply he started coughing. And then his coughing got worse. He tried to take a drink of the wine, but knocked the cup over. His vision began blurring. “Someone get the doctor!” someone shouted. A door opened somewhere, but Richard couldn’t see what was happening all he knew was it felt as if his throat was being crushed under something.

Chapter 207: Russian Dancers
  • VVD0D95

Banned
    Chapter 207: Russian Dancers

October, 1724

Summer was giving way to autumn, it was still tolerable enough to allow the children to play outside, and Alexei kept an eye on them from where he stood next to the window. Maria had been right to suggest designing the palace in this manner. It made things easier to do and move around through. And it enabled him to keep an eye on his son and daughters. He cleared his throat and turned around.

“You met with Lizette during your visit to the Hague?” He asked his old friend Alexander.

“I did yes.” His friend replied, there was an air of uncertainty in the response, Alexei turned away from the window and looked at his friend.

“How is she?” He asked. He knew his sister had gone through a lot, had turned this way and that on her marriage.

“She is well enough, but I believe that her marriage is what causes her the greatest unhappiness.” Alexander answered honestly.

Alexei frowned. “I do not know what she is writing to the Tsar, but to me it seems as though she enjoys court, but that her husband has a second family. Is that true?”

Alexander nodded. “It seems the man has forgotten who his wife is. And finds time to get her heavy with his child and then ventures back to the harlot who dominates him.”

Alexei gritted his teeth. “The Tsar assumed that by arranging this marriage he would ensure we had better ties to the Dutch and also give Lizette a happy marriage as Anna has with Courland. It seems he was mistaken. Abandoning the daughter of the Tsar for some common harlot. He has forgotten his place.”

“I am sure the Prince of Orange will meet with his cousin and try and resolve the matter. The Prince has not forgotten the good things that the marriage has brought to his people. He is also fond of Lizette.” Alexander said.

Alexei nodded he had hoped for the same also. “Maria and I are considering sending Peter away to study, he is nearly old enough now that such a thing would be normal. We had considered Amsterdam. However, if these insults to Lizette continue we may consider elsewhere. Perhaps to Berlin, or even to Vienna itself.”

Alexander said nothing, therefore Alexei continued. “I do not want him marrying one of Menshikov’s girls either. Despite what that old man thinks. I know he would have had me removed had my brother Alexander survived. No doubt he hopes to make Peter a puppet to his own designs.”

“So, it is true then?” Alexander asked. “I’d heard he’d been planning on suggesting a marriage between Maria Menshikov and your son.”

“Yes, he’s been whispering in the Tsar’s ear about it for months now. The Tsar refuses to give it serious consideration, but eventually he will bend.” Alexei said.

“Surely he’d want to avoid having three Marias in a row! Besides I much prefer Alexandra.” Alexander joked.

Alexei gave a wry smile and continued. “I’m sure father has some grand idea for Peter. A marriage to a relation of the Holy Roman Empress, or the Queen of the Romans. If she were willing to learn the language and the Faith, I’d agree. But I am not so sure about that.”

“So, you wouldn’t object if I proposed to say Alexandra when she’s of age?” Alexander jested.

Alexei grinned. “You’re first cousin to the future Tsar, you’re one of the most eligible bachelors in the whole Kingdom.”

“So, is that a yes?” Alexander asked.

Alexei grinned, but didn’t reply to that. Instead he said. “I suppose I worry too much about Menshikov, the Tsarina doesn’t like him, and considers him an upstart, but she has bent to the Tsar’s suggestion of a potential marriage between her brother and his daughter. And with her brother likely to serve on the regency for Moldavia, perhaps that would not be such a bad thing.”

“It certainly wouldn’t hurt.” Alexander agreed.

“Indeed, though whether it will gain traction or not…” Alexei trailed off as he heard his son come running passed the window.