A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

VVD0D95

Banned
picture this
Let me on this ship or i will have you flogged til we see your bone then we will keel haul you and if you live throught that i will dunk you in salt understand?
then the sailors would be begging

Lol. But when he's ill why's he considering fighting?

Chapter 88: A New Cabinet

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 88: A New Cabinet

October, 1700

“You are certain that he has passed?” Anne asked the Doctor standing before her. She felt a slight pain in her back but ignored it, the chair in the audience chamber had always been uncomfortable.

“I am Your Majesty. I did several tests as did my colleagues, we can confirm it. At eleven hundred hours, the Earl of Sunderland passed away. He died in his bed, from the illness that had been plaguing him these past few months.” The doctor replied.

“Very well.” Anne said. She looked at two members of the Grenadier Guards. “Remove the body to Sunderland House and inform his wife and son. They will want to pay their respects.” The guards nodded, Sunderland House was just a few feet away from the apartment Sunderland had kept within the Palace. The guards bowed and walked away to do their duty. Anne waved her hand and dismissed the doctor who bowed as well. She turned to her confidant, the Duchess of Marlborough, and asked. “Well Mrs Freeman, Sunderland has gone, and now you have a chance to suggest to us a candidate to replace him as Secretary of State for the Southern Department.” Under Sunderland, that role had been the most powerful in her government, but increasingly Godolphin as Treasurer had grown more powerful, and Shrewsbury did not like that.

Mrs Freeman looked at her and replied. “Your Majesty, I would not think to go against your wishes, but I would recommend promoting His Grace, the Duke of Shrewsbury to the position, he has served honourably and with great conviction as Secretary of State for the Northern Department, he is quite popular within the Lords as well.”

“And he fits within your husband and your ideological outlook does he not, and he would make a great supporter for your own agenda, unlike Bolingbroke.” Anne pointed out. Mrs Freeman went to protest, but Anne held up a hand. “Do not think that I am not aware of what you wish for, Mrs Freeman. We know that you wish for more courtiers under your sway, and truth be told we are inclined to agree with you. We have found the Countess of Sunderland most odorous and draining on our time. Even though she did not serve as Mistress of Robes, that position being yours, always and forever, she continued to chatter away. We could not remove her as long as her husband was alive, but now that he is gone we can.”

She saw a glimmer in her friend’s eyes, and she knew she had said the right thing. “Where will you send her, Your Majesty?” the lady asked.

“We shall send her far from court, perhaps to Winchester, or back to her husband’s, now her son’s estates. The new Earl of Sunderland shall serve as a companion to my son, nothing more. We do not trust him.” Anne said.

Mrs Freeman spoke in a manner Anne didn’t quite understand, a mix between consternation and mocking. “I would not do that if I were you, Your Majesty. The new earl of Sunderland is not his father. He is more affable and willing to work for a common good. He does not have an ideological standpoint as of yet. Indeed, it is my understanding that in the Commons he has the most balanced record of anyone yet.”

“So, what do you suggest we do? We shall not make him a minister.” Anne pointed out.

“And I would never dream of suggesting that you do, Your Majesty. I suggest instead that you give him the position of Ambassador to the Dutch Republic. He is a good man, and the country must have people who can charm those humourless Dutch politicians.” Mrs Freeman pointed out.

Anne considered this, the current ambassador to the Dutch Republic was gravely ill as well, and he had not been a great success. She could see nothing wrong with sending Sunderland there to develop his skills before perhaps being called back home. “Very well, we shall recall the current ambassador and appoint the new Earl of Sunderland as the new ambassador.” Mrs Freeman looked mightily pleased with that.

“And, what of the role of Chancellor of the Exchequer, Your Majesty? Sir John was Sunderland’s man through and through, we both know this. Do you want him continuing on?” Mrs Freeman asked.

“Sir John is not an old man, and has done a good job as Speaker of the Commons and the Government’s representative there. We do however feel that we need some fresh ideas. Sir John may remain as Speaker, but we shall appoint Stephen Fox as Chancellor of the Exchequer.” Anne said, she noticed how her friend didn’t smile then and was briefly worried about that before remembering that she was the Queen, not Mrs Freeman. “And, what do you think of John Middleton as Secretary of State for the Northern Department?”

Mrs Freeman seemed surprised. “I, think that would be a wise choice. His father was a dutiful servant to your father, Your Majesty, and the Earl has expressed nothing but dutiful application to policies within the lords and at court.”

Anne smiled. “Then it is decided. Shrewsbury as Secretary of State for the Southern Department, Middleton for the Northern Department, and Fox as Chancellor of the Exchequer.” She rose from the throne and walked down the steps before taking Mrs Freeman’s hand in hers. “Come let us walk the gardens and enjoy the Autumn.”

VVD0D95

Banned
Now, query for you all, is it right that the Duchess of Marlborough has such influence over the Queen? In the original timeline, Shrewsbury and Sunderland were both whigs. But here Shrewsbury is very much a Tory, and Sunderland is up in the air. The Duchess was pro whig as well.

Now, query for you all, is it right that the Duchess of Marlborough has such influence over the Queen? In the original timeline, Shrewsbury and Sunderland were both whigs. But here Shrewsbury is very much a Tory, and Sunderland is up in the air. The Duchess was pro whig as well.

it seems that the Duchess of Marlborough get a huge authority over the queen, so it doesn't shock me to see her influence ITTL, after even if the duchess is a pro-whig, she dislike the radical whig also Shrewsbury and Sunderland are moderate-tories, so i could see her recommend them if they have some affinity with her political agenda, it also as a way of appeasing tensions between them.

VVD0D95

Banned
it seems that the Duchess of Marlborough get a huge authority over the queen, so it doesn't shock me to see her influence ITTL, after even if the duchess is a pro-whig, she dislike the radical whig also Shrewsbury and Sunderland are moderate-tories, so i could see her recommend them if they have some affinity with her political agenda, it also as a way of appeasing tensions between them.

Indeed this is true, Shrewsbury has just got a promotion to Secretary of State to the Southern Department after all. So, I can see him and Godolphin vying for influence within this government, to dominate it. See whether the future foreign secretary or the future First Lord of the Treasury win out.

Chapter 89: Ahmed

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 89: Ahmed

January, 1701

“Sire, our spies report that as of two weeks ago, the Habsburgs and Russians have formally confirmed their alliance through a series of treaties. The Russians are planning to advance with the coming of spring into the Khanate territories and then from there southwards. It seems they are going to try and take the lands of the Orthodox Heresy.” Numan reported.

“And will their Tsar be leading them?” Ahmed asked, he had heard many things about this Tsar, he had developed a navy, and had begun reforming the army, and it seemed his whore had cheated on him with another man.

“From what our sources say, I think it is reasonable to expect him to be leading the charge, Sire.” Numan replied. “He is keen to show to his allies that he is someone who will take the initiative, and thus be seen as the leader of the alliance. It is my understanding that Emperor Leopold has grown tired and weary over the past year and a half, and with his daughter fighting a war with France, he has multiple concerns.”

Ahmed had heard about the French war, his father had struck an alliance with King Louis of France, and Ahmed had had his ambassador in Versailles renew it. Now he intended to bear the fruit of that alliance. “Do we know whether the man will be sending any men to aid his daughter?” That would be a great boon to them, as it would ensure that there were fewer of those damned Austrians fighting in land which they knew well.

“From what our spies have reported, Sire, Emperor Leopold had given command of a host under Prince Eugene of Savoy, not to the Spanish Netherlands but to Milan, to defend the Austrian interest there. It seems that is about as far as the Emperor is willing to go.” Numan replied.

Ahmed considered this then replied. “Send word to Mehmet Pasha, instruct him to take the fleet stationed at Cyprus toward the Spanish Kingdom of Sicily, if we can harass their ships then we shall add fuel to the fire and stretch the lines of defence. Send word to our men in Africa as well, and instruct them to send ships to harass Spanish ships.”

“Yes Sire.” Numan said, though Ahmed suspected that the man did not quite approve of this strategy. “There is the matter of where the janissaries shall march to. A direct march into Serbia would be anticipated, and it is the easiest route to getting things done. However, one could instruct forces into Croatia as well, which would give them a good scare.”

Ahmed considered this and then said. “Send forces into Serbia and into Croatia, we have more than enough men to manage such a double mission. We want them scared and terrified. And send word to the Khanates alerting them to the possibility of Russian intervention.”

“Yes Sire.” Numan replied, making a note of that. The man then said. “Sire, there is another matter which I think needs your attention. My sources report that your brother Ibrahim has begun meeting with the White Roses and discussing several things that amount to treason.”

The White Roses those who wanted to reform a system that worked just fine as it was, he did not understand them, though he knew why his brother was with them. “Has he actually said anything treasonous?” His brother was smart, but better suited to fighting than anything else.

“So far, no. But Sire, you know what he is like. Sooner or later he will do something ridiculous, and right now the empire cannot afford such a thing.” Numan said.

“Then attach him to a regiment and send him out to fight.” Ahmed said. His advisor looked shocked at this but eventually nodded. Ahmed rose and walked out, making his way to his first wife’s rooms, he had heirs to make.

Chapter 90: Peter, Tsar of All Rus

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 90: Peter, Tsar of All Rus

March, 1701

Peter was bored, he did not quite like the council meetings, but seeing as he had been the one to call for them in the first place, he supposed that it was only right that he attend them and give them his attention. His explorations of the Hague, of Versailles, of Vienna and many other courts had showed him just how far behind his own kingdom was, and how much they needed to do to ensure that they were considered a serious power. Right now they were discussing a matter close to his heart, the issue of a foreign campaign.

“Tell me minister, if the Ottomans are marshalling their forces as our spies say they are, then what are our chances of defeating them, either in open battle or quiet retreat and siege?” Peter asked, the thought of running from the Muslims infuriated him, almost as much as his second wife’s betrayal had.

Golovin, the man he had appointed as foreign minister, hesitated before speaking. “Sire, it is my understanding that the Ottomans have brought about a great host which they have divided into three or four parts. One part is heading for Serbia, the other for Croatia. The third, I believe is going to reassure the Crimean Khanates that they have their support. If we were to attack the Crimea, then we would be able to handle whatever the Ottomans threw at us, due to that particular host being the weaker of the three.”

Peter considered this. “So, in essence they are sending their weakest army to defend a system that has helped them keep us in check for centuries?” It was a curious move to make, Peter had to admit but then, the Ottomans like almost everyone else underestimated Russia, and they would suffer because of that. “And how strong are the Khans?”

“They are weak, Sire.” Golovin replied. “They are carrying excess weight in the form of a previous civil war which has just finished and they are not going to be willing to work with the Ottomans. I would recommend destroying them entirely.”

“Naturally, we do not want them rising up from any defeat to hit us when our attention is turned elsewhere.” Peter replied, he intended on taking full control over Ukraine and driving the Polish out. “What of our approaches to those within Bulgaria and Greece, how have they responded?” Peter saw himself, as the heir to Byzantium, and thus wished to bring the nations of Orthodoxy back under his control.

“They are cautiously optimistic, Sire. Their leaders ask for aid in terms of money, before they consider rebelling. They also ask that you speak with Emperor Leopold of Austria as well, for they fear he will try and subjugate them also.” Golovin replied.

Peter laughed. “That man has no interest in anything beyond conquering everything that he believes rightfully belongs to him. Thankfully, he has not described any intention of taking Constantinople. Yet, if they feel concerned by it then we shall speak with him. What movements has he made?” A war had broken out in Europe at the most inconvenient of times, and the grand alliance he had imagined against the Turks had not come to pass.

“The Emperor has begun mobilising his troops from Vienna and has prepared for defensive maneuverers in Croatia, but as of yet has shown no signs of aggressive behaviour to advance for war.” Golovin replied.

“Very well, perhaps he needs reminding, then of what he has committed to. Mobilise the army, and prepare the ships, we shall ride out once the storms have settled.” Peter commanded.

“Yes Sire.” Golovin replied.

Peter rose and walked out of the room, he knew that at some point either he would need to marry again, or force the marriage between his son and the Prince of Orange’s daughter to move up schedule. He did not want to do either, but with how his second wife had behaved, there was perhaps no other option. She had pleaded with him desperately, even up to the gallows. Sometimes at night he still heard her screams. Nonetheless, he had an heir, and Alexei was developing well enough, even if there were some things about him that Peter did not like. He stopped at his son’s rooms and looked in as his son read a book. He smiled, thanked God and then carried onto his own rooms.

It seems difficult to analyze, for me all depend if the Russian manage to built an a sufficient fleet to block the Ottomans reinforcements and supplies, OTL the succes of the Azov compaign was based on the fact to have isolated Crimea from the Ottomans thanks to their fleet.

VVD0D95

Banned
It seems difficult to analyze, for me all depend if the Russian manage to built an a sufficient fleet to block the Ottomans reinforcements and supplies, OTL the succes of the Azov compaign was based on the fact to have isolated the Ottomans from Crimea thanks to their fleet.

This is very true, and of course, AHmed considers regaining Croatia and Serbia as more important than backing some half wits in Crimea

Chapter 91: Mary, Princess Royal

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 91: Mary, Princess Royal

May,1701

“Father’s letter to Mother came today, it seems they’ve won another victory against the French.” Mary said, she’d seen the happiness on Mother’s face as she’d walked passed her this morning, it made her happy to see Mother happy.

“That’s great news.” James, her brother and the heir to the throne replied. “Hopefully this war will be over soon. I don’t think I can take one more word from John about his father’s successes.”

Mary grimaced, John Churchill, Marquess of Blandford was her brother’s closest friend, but also something of an annoyance, whenever word came of a victory for Britannia, John was sure to put it down to his father. “I hope the same here as well.” She liked John well enough, in small doses, but not in large quantities, much like his mother, she preferred his sisters.

“Enough about that, how are you feeling about your wedding?” Anne Sophia asked.

Mary looked at her sister in such a manner as to draw a nervous laugh from Anne. Her marriage to Charles of Sweden was something that had been most on her mind. She had spoken briefly with the Swedish ambassador about his King, but the man had not seen the King since he was a boy, and could not give her a proper account. “I’ve written some letters to him, and gotten a few responses.” Mary admitted.

“What?!” Anne screeched. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t think it was appropriate.” Mary replied, that was only half true. She also didn’t want Anne spreading gossip around the palace.

“Does Mother know?” Anne asked.

“That I’m writing to him? Yes.” Mary replied. She’d had to run it by Mother first, otherwise Lady Margaret was sure to give her hell for it.

“So, what’s he said in the letters?” Anne asked, leaning forward excitedly.

Mary smiled, feeling her cheeks heat. “He talks a lot about the things he likes, and he asks a lot about me and what I like. He’s mentioned that when I am in Sweden, we can go and explore the forests around his home, and also read through the library. He seems quite sweet.” That was the truth, but that still did not ease her nerves.

“So, why are you nervous?” Anne asked. Anne was a very trusting person by nature, and her own correspondence with the Prince of Beira had seemed to confirm her view that all people were good.

“I don’t know if this is all an act or genuine.” Mary said. “Sweden has never traditionally been allied with Britannia, and furthermore, Father’s family are looking askance at this marriage. I wonder if he is simply writing what he thinks will win me and therefore Mother over.”

“You think he is lying to make things easier?” James asked.

“Yes. I don’t want to believe it, but I have to be realistic.” Mary replied.

Anne took her hand then and said. “I am sure he is genuine, Mary. He’s seen your portrait and you’ve seen his. And I am sure he writes what he wants, he is King, he will write whatever he wants, otherwise he would not write at all.”

“Anne is right,” James said, drawing a gasp from Anne, as she pretended to be shocked at their brother agreeing with her. James stuck his tongue out at Anne, before turning to look at her. “If Charles of Sweden did not feel like writing to you, he would not. Everything I’ve heard suggests he does what he wants. If he seems like he likes you then I am sure he does.”

Mary smiled, reassured by her brother’s words. “And what of you two? How will you cope without me?”

“I don’t know. It will be odd without you here, to shepherd us from one joke to another.” James replied a glint in his eye.

Mary recognised that glint, and pretended to sigh. “What are you thinking?” Her brother was gaining notoriety throughout the palace for his pranks.

“I was thinking we could do something with the Earl of Devonshire. I heard him plotting something with the Earl of Pembroke the other day, and I know he doesn’t like oranges.” James replied.

“I’m not sure if that’s a good idea or not, James, Devonshire is a rich man and powerful. Besides he has an agreement with Mother. We’d be violating that by choosing him.” Mary said.

“Mary’s right. Devonshire is too important.” Anne agreed.

“His son, however, is not. The man remains nothing more than a tart.” James pointed out. “And he made a pass at Lady Elizabeth.” Something crossed over James’ face then, and Mary knew there would be no point arguing with him, he had a fancy for Lady Elizabeth Legge, daughter of the Late Earl of Dartmouth.

“Very well, where do you want the oranges placed?” Mary asked. Knowing she could get Henrietta and Anne involved what with their dislike of Devonshire’s heir.

“Well, two by the front entrance, where he always stops, and one by the stables. But not in their natural state we must have them mixed in with something he’s likely to pick up.” James said.

“I have just the idea.” Anne supplied, and they listened and laughed as she explained her thought process. Mary really was going to miss her brother and sister.

I'm loving it so far it's gotten me to look at history i haven't looked at in such a long time and others histories that I've never really looked at like the Indian sections of this great tl.

VVD0D95

Banned
I'm loving it so far it's gotten me to look at history i haven't looked at in such a long time and others histories that I've never really looked at like the Indian sections of this great tl.

Quality, glad you're liking it!

Hopefully portraying these historical figures as actual people :p

VVD0D95

Banned
So, another question, I imagine that Mary looks quite beautiful, would that be enough to tempt Charles XII to consumate his marriage and ensure the continuation of the house?

Chapter 92: Azim Bhai

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 92: Azim Bhai

June, 1701

The Ganga streamed passed him on his right hand side. Azim steeled his nerves. He had suspected it would come to this, they had been fighting on and off for a decade almost, Father and Uncle Azam were not men to simply sit by and allow things to cool off. Clearly they had both gathered their allies and armies together for this. Azim had been dismissed from his father’s council, no doubt at Jahandar’s urging. He ignored that feeling of irritation and concentrated on the things before him.

Given command of the left of his father’s host, he sat atop a white horse, both his father and brother rode atop elephants and had laughed at him. But Azim suspected that it would be cavalry not the elephants that would decide things today. He stroked his beard as he waited. Then as a horn sounded, he nodded and watched as Azad Khan, his general sounded his horn. He looked at his son Muzzaffar and nodded, his son sounded his own horn. Azim steadied himself then said. “May God shine brightly on us today!” His men roared in agreement, then with one final prayer he set off.

The enemy came as well, a cousin of Azim’s whose name he had forgotten leading them on the back of a brown horse. Azim saw soldiers preparing to fire and ordered his own men to fire their guns, slim though they were. Cannons echoed around him, piercing the air with their brutality. Through the haze of smoke and fire, Azim saw men screaming, and he saw them falling. His own men managed to remain upright and strong, but that was due to favourable conditions. He hoped his father and brother would maintain them as well. As his sword finally wetted itself on the blood of enemies, Azim took a moment to think.

Azam Shah had more soldiers than Father did, it would not surprise him, if there were more soldiers waiting somewhere. There had been a proposal to marry Azam’s eldest son Bidar to Azim’s sister Benu, to bring the two families together. A marriage Father had strongly rejected, Bahadur Shah did not deal with traitors, even if they were proposing to end the war. Azim swung his sword, dodged a cannon ball, and continued his path. He was thankful he had managed to convince Father to pay the Marathas to stay out of this war, otherwise they’d all be finished.

As the cannons stopped and the army opposing him began actively engaging in combat, Azim noticed how there were some things missing in what he had been told by his scouts. There were no great trenches of spears and arms, but there was a mountain of men with guns. They tore holes through his men, he just about avoided getting shot himself through some luck. He barked out commands, and his guns came forward firing then piercing the enemy before they had a chance to get back on their feet.

More guns appeared, tearing an entire part of his wall down, leaving him to wonder how they would break through. As he pondered this, he remembered the advice his grandfather had given him long ago. He gestured to Muzzaffar and his son roared a command. A horn sounded, and the elephants came charging in, trampling over soldiers with bayonets, whilst screaming as the pain of what they’d done sunk in. They retaliated by stomping over the enemy. Azim called his soldiers back to allow them to watch the show. Sometimes there was a benefit to this.

The enemy screamed and yelled, pleading for relief, but Azim didn’t let up, he knew that the elephants would be hard to call off regardless. Once they had experienced a fraction of pain they would continue down this route. Instead, he watched as they tore a massive hole in the enemy’s frontlines. He suspected that there would be another play, he did not think his uncle would allow such a thing to go unchallenged. A messenger came to him then. “My Prince, there has been word from the right flank.”

That was commanded by Jahandar. “Speak.” Azim commanded.

“His Royal Highness, the Crown Prince has been badly wounded.” The messenger replied. “Prince Izz u’d has taken command of the right and is asking for reinforcements.”

That was just like Jahandar to go and get himself injured during a crucial juncture. “Very well, Rashid,” he said, his second in command moved his horse closer. “You go with the foot and take hold of this situation.”

“Yes, my Prince.” The man replied barking out orders and turning away to lead the command.

Just as Azim was about to turn back to observe the carnage, he heard a yell and a scream, he turned back to see what the fuss was about and saw to his horror a silver peacock with fire around it. “Shit.” He cursed, it seemed Bidar was coming right for him.