A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 93: A New Dawn

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 93: A New Dawn

August, 1701

The rains hammered outside, and Sambhaji genuinely felt concerned that the palace might break. It had turned from a fortress into a more pleasuerly existence after he had visited Goa some years ago, to see the Portuguese viceroy, and taken inspiration from his home. Of course the monsoon meant certain changes had to be made to make it liveable, and to prevent the court moving to Satara, where they were at risk of exposure. Deciding he’d had enough of that thought for the time being he looked at the man before him and spoke.

“What word do you bring from the north?”

The man before him, one Shivaji Gaiconde was a small rotund man, with beady eyes, but a sharp intellect. “Sire, I bring word from the Battle of Ganga. Azam Shah and Bahadur Shah are both dead, having died during the fighting.” Sambhaji closed his eyes briefly, his plan had failed. “However, Bidar Bakht, the son of Azam Shah survived and indeed managed to destroy the remaining host of Bahadur Shah. Killing Shah’s son Azim, and chasing Jahandar Shah back to Delhi.”

Sambhaji opened his eyes. “You speak truly?” If this news was true then perhaps the Gods were looking upon him kindly.

“I do, Sire. I saw it with my own two eyes. Bidar Bakht came like the sea to sweep away Azim Shah’s host and then moved on Jahandar Shah who had fled north like a whipped cur, leaving behind a host of dead bodies.” Gaiconde replied

Sambhaji smiled. He clapped his hands in delight and said. “Gaiconde, you have made us a very happy man today. We raise you the rank of Sawai of Vadhuj.” The man bowed and voiced his thanks. Vadhuj was a rich village, and the man would no doubt continue making it so. Sambhaji then turned to his brother Rajaram and said. “You see the rewards that come through finance instead of war, brother. Now we have someone who can be used.” Bidar Bakht might be a good Mughal Prince, but they were easily manipulated.

“I have no doubt of that, Sire. But should he take Delhi, what then? Will you stop the conquests northwards, or southwards?” Rajaram asked.

Sambhaji shook his head. “There will be no need of that. Simple negotiations can make this much easier. Bakht will take Delhi but he will still have to deal with his extended family, and as such, we can use the power of our treasury to control what happens.”

Rajaram as he expected voiced more concerns. “But Sire, do you not think that that is a waste. We have the strongest army within the entire Empire. We should use that to our advantage not throw money at the Mughals. They will drink it in and give us nothing in return.”

Sambhaji looked at him. “And where would you have us send our army? To Delhi? We cannot take that without good cause. The North West? Same problem. The south? We have an agreement with the Portuguese and the rulers of Mysore. We know what must be done there to bring them into the fold. No, we must control who sits in Delhi, and that can be best achieved through finances.”

His brother said nothing, though Sambhaji knew he did not like it. It was time to send him to Satara, and away from the heart of court. He turned to look at his Commander in Chief and asked. “Jadhav, tell us, what role would you suggest that the army should play in this current situation, with things being the way they are?”

“Sire, I think that whilst getting into fights that we can avoid is not a smart strategy, I do think that we must be careful of getting complacent. The army will only remain as good as it is with constant practice and experience. And at present there are some disturbances in Malwa which require attention.” Jadhav replied.

Sambhaji sighed. He was tired of the Malwa, always causing issues with taxes or something else. “Very well, Rajaram, you wished to exercise your might, go, handle them, and bring us back the head of their leader.”

His brother bowed. “Gladly, Sire.”

Sambhaji smiled and said. “Now onto better things. It is our pleasure to announce the birth of a son to our son Crown Prince Shahu and his wife Krishna Kumari. The boy has been named Shivaji, in honour of our most glorious Father and founder of this dynasty.” There was applause throughout the court room, and Sambhaji beamed. “We invite you now to see our grandson.” He clapped his hands, and his daughter by marriage walked in with Shahu at her side, they smiled as they stopped before the throne, and bowed, then straightened, the nobles came to see the child cooing and awing. Sambhaji’s grin widened when he saw his sister by marriage’s frown.

Chapter 94: Anne's Delight

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 94: Anne’s Delight

October, 1701

“Your Majesty, I am delighted to report that the Spanish have finally managed to strike the rebellion in Aragon out. His Majesty, King Maximilian formally defeated the rebels led by the Duke of Aliaga, and has now gotten them to bend the knee to his wife. As such, the Spanish Ambassador assures me that Their Majesties will be committing full force into the war with France, starting with an invasion of Gascony and Navarre.” The Duke of Shrewsbury said, smiling.

There was a banging of cups on tables in celebration of this, Anne raised her hand. “And do they have the financial capability to do this? We had to send loans to ensure they had enough to bribe certain officials, will we see repayment?” That was her main concern, wars were expensive, and as such they needed to balance the books. Lending money to Spain had been Shrewsbury’s idea, and it would mean his head if it didn’t work out.

“Your Majesty, from speaking with the ambassador and my counterpart in Madrid, I have been assured that the Spanish are making every attempt to pay off their debts. Hence their commitment to invading France from the south, to ensure they can get some or most of the spoils there, and through their switching to a more streamlined taxation system.” Shrewsbury replied.

Anne was not convinced, but she decided to accept the man’s view. “Very well. And what of our own progress? Are we to continue dominating the fighting in the Low Countries?” For some reason, the Prince of Orange had not taken his men beyond Brussels, instead being content to garrison the town.

“Your Majesty, the French under the Duke of Orleans continue to hold the southern region of the Spanish Netherlands based Steenkirk, the Dutch continue to garrison Brussels and the surrounding towns. Meanwhile, His Grace the Duke of Marlborough has won a victory against a probing force at the Battle of Menin and is now debating whether to do as was done during the last war and take the heat to France.” Shrewsbury replied.

“Going into France would be bold, but would leave us exposed from the rear. Especially if Marlborough insists on keeping Ormonde stationed northwards.” Middleton, the Secretary of State for the Northern Department said.

“I think we would be better served simply allowing the French to throw their resources at the Dutch in another attempt to take Brussels.” That was the Duke of Perth, a cynical man and one who favoured lowering costs.

“The Dutch are our allies. We must support them.” Came the response from Shrewsbury.

“At what cost?” Perth retorted. “We cannot raise taxes without going to Parliament, Parliament will not raise taxes unless we make a major break through. Invading France requires proper co-ordination and financing. Allow the French to throw themselves at the Dutch and we can take the spoils there in.”

“You are assuming that the French will either lose or not win out right. That is a faulty assumption to make about this army.” Shrewsbury replied.

Anne sensed that another heated argument was about to develop, so she cut in. “Gentlemen, you both raise good and valid points, which is why we wished to put forward a proposal. Currently the ministry is supposed by a majority in the Commons, correct?” The Lord Chamberlain, Lord Mulgrave nodded. “However, we must ensure that majority is strengthened and that the desire for a properly decisive course in this war is taken. Therefore, we propose a fresh election.”

There was a moment of silence, Anne waited, expecting objections, Sarah had told her that she was expressly against this, but Anne wanted to strengthen the ministry’s hand this seemed the best way to do it. Godolphin spoke first. “Your Majesty, I believe that would be a smart plan. We know that the Earl of Pembroke is not well liked amongst his colleagues, and therefore is likely to suffer from whispering campaigns, they do not have a viable argument against us.”

Shrewsbury spoke then. “I think Godolphin is right, Your Majesty, this would be a very good plan. But who should lead the government in this campaign?”

This was the key juncture, and one Anne had run by her friend over great length the night before. Shrewsbury as Secretary of State for the Southern Department was her foreign minister and a capable and experienced man, Godolphin as Lord High Treasurer had demonstrated good sense with money and finance, but seemed reliant on Sarah’s support for his continued role. Shrewsbury did not. “You, Charles, shall lead our government in this election.” Anne said, Shrewsbury smiled and bowed his head.

“It will be an honour.”

Anne nodded, turned to Lord Mulgrave and said. “We wish for the writ of dissolution to be written and handed up before the week is over.”

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Mulgrave replied.

VVD0D95

Banned
I'm unsure if I've got it right for how elections and the formation of government worked, but I think from my reading I have. With no triennial act, the last election was in 1695, following the union of Scotland and England into Britannia

“Your Majesty, from speaking with the ambassador and my counterpart in Madrid, I have been assured that the Spanish are making every attempt to pay off their debts. Hence their commitment to invading France from the south, to ensure they can get some or most of the spoils there, and through their switching to a more streamlined taxation system.” Shrewsbury replied.

It's really dangerous for them, the south west of France is fortified, and seen louis XIV only sent a part of his troops in Spanish Netherlands, he would surely send enough troops to block the spanish, they play a risky game, a defeat, or an invasion repelled could cost them a lot.

VVD0D95

Banned
It's really dangerous for them, the south west of France is fortified, and seen louis XIV only sent a part of his troops in Spanish Netherlands, he would surely send enough troops to block the spanish, they play a risky game, a defeat, or an invasion repelled could cost them a lot.

Indeed, but that's just how Maximilian operates. Draw attention there, and fuck Louis over in the Spanish Netherlands.

Indeed, but that's just how Maximilian operates. Draw attention there, and fuck Louis over in the Spanish Netherlands.

Yeah but the Duke of Shrewsbury seems to implied that the Spanish would pay a good part of their expenditure by looting the south west of France and i'm not sure that the Spanish army could do that in this situation.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yeah but the Duke of Shrewsbury seems to implied that the Spanish would pay a good part of their expenditure by looting the south west of France and i'm not sure that the Spanish army could do that in this situation.

Extorting the peasantry and the minor nobility to prevent them from destroying their land, common practice at this point

Yeah but the problem is that seen their armies need to secure their supplie line during their invasions, they would have need to take the french fortress like Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (that would took them a lot of time) and Louis XIV would surely have the time to spend a french army to proctect this area, that's why I find this idea risky.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yeah but the problem is that seen their armies need to secure their supplie line during their invasions, they would have need to take the french fortress like Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (that would took them a lot of time) and Louis XIV would surely have the time to spend a french army to proctect this area, that's why I find this idea risky.

Indeed, a very risky business

Chapter 95: The Great Debates

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 95: The Great Debates

December, 1701

The winter was biting, there was snow on the ground, and the people were curious as to what was the wider situation with the war. Charles had been stopped by nobles and by squires asking all sorts of questions. He had given them what answers he could and then been on his way. This meeting, at his house in Charing Cross was to discuss the possibility of a defeat in the Commons and other such issues. Present were Sidney Godolphin, Viscount Godolphin and Sir Stephen Fox, Chancellor of the Exchequer.

“The word amongst many of the County Squires is that there will be an increase in tax to pay for the war effort. What with the French throwing their vast financial power into bribing various nobles in the Spanish Netherlands and of course in Savoy, the Duke is practically French for all intents and purposes. I know Norfolk doesn’t want an increase on the tax rates, he made that quite clear when we met, but other than that most are focused on the war.” Sir Stephen surmised.

“And they are right to be,” Charles responded. “This war is going to decide the future of Europe for decades to come. We must ensure the French do not gain anything other than what they currently have, and if we can force them out of Lorraine all the better for it.” He paused then said aloud. “Concerns over taxes are unjustified. Her Majesty has not signalled a need to increase them, nor has the Bank.” Indeed, the Royal Bank seemed happy with the current financial situation.

“No doubt Pembroke has been encouraging this talk of raising the tax rate, it is within his interests to do so. I think he would like everyone to forget that he himself supported raising it at the start of the war. Indeed, he seemed quite upset that it wasn’t.” Sidney Godolphin, Lord High Treasurer said.

“He would have wanted to use that as a thing to hit us over the head with during the election. His performance has been somewhat lacklustre. But I would not be surprised if he does well in the counties controlled by Devonshire.” Charles said, he knew his old mentor, and he knew the man wanted to bring him down. “We have clearly outlined our stance on the War, we must fight to keep France away from hegemony within Europe, and we must defend Spain, no matter how much it might pain us to.” Truth be told Spain was secondary to protecting the Spanish Netherlands and their valuable source of trade, but memories of a gallant rescue of a once great power did more for the electors.

“Agreed, though we must push the Spanish for an immediate repayment before interest rises. I have spoken with the Governor of the Royal Bank and he insists that any delay in repayment will stymie chances for investment elsewhere.” Sir Stephen said.

“The governor might be a smart man, but he does not understand the practicalities of war. He will accept what is given and when it is given.” Charles said firmly, he would brook no argument on this matter. Sir Stephen nodded.

“There was another matter that the voters of London brought up frequently.” Godolphin said. “And it was the matter of the Licensing of the Press Act, which lapsed earlier this year.”

Charles had expected this to come up sooner. “The printers of the London Gazette and the London Chronicle are the ones who raised this issue with you, aren’t they?” The Gazette was owned by the Crown, whilst the Chronicle was owned by the Duke of Norfolk and was favourable to the high church.

“Yes, it seems that they both want the act repealed. Pembroke has met with them and encouraged them to think that he will repeal it with a majority in the Commons.” Godolphin said.

Charles had to stop himself laughing. “Pembroke believes he can win a majority? Now that is something funny. Truth be told, I do not think the Queen would appoint him to her ministry even if he had one. She has never liked him, and he has never liked the fact that His Royal Highness the Duke of Cumberland was named Lord High Admiral.”

“This is true, but it is still a concern. Pembroke has friends at the Chronicle, and though it cannot compete with the Gazette it still is read by most of the opposition.” Godolphin replied.

Fox spoke then and Charles got the feeling that the man had been waiting to say this for the entire meeting. “My lords, my brother, Charles Fox has been pestering me for days to look into options for a paper. He believes the paper that he wishes to write and publish would be more beneficial for the Crown than the London Gazette, and he believes he knows enough people to get the paper read nationwide.”

“How?” Charles asked. “This paper would be fresh off the printing press, and with limited reach, under the current Act.”

“Amend the act, or abolish it completely, set up factories in Manchester or Leeds where the cost is less, spread it out amongst the northerners, and they will read it avidly, they are all royalist. They will tell their friends and then it will spread. Plus, through our own network it could become more widely read here also.” Fox replied.

“And what would he name this paper?” Charles asked.

Fox smiled. “The Guardian.”

Charles considered this. “Godolphin, what do you think? Could this be something that clinches us the election?”

“I think it could be, the northern gentry are hankering for a paper that speaks to them, and people like Manchester and Sandwich are always speaking about the lack of a truly authentic paper. This could be that. And it could also ensure that the Press Act can be quietly retired, showing that Her Majesty is open to new ideas.” Godolphin replied.

“Very well then, let us put that on the ticket, and spread word around to our MPs. We shall have a new paper in the opening.” Charles said smiling at Fox.

Indeed we do

So you created The Times and called it The Guardian? Brilliant! Though a bit playing with our culture here.
If you refer to it with conservatives-like article, I bet it will confuse a lot of people, and especially me.

VVD0D95

Banned
So you created The Times and called it The Guardian? Brilliant! Though a bit playing with our culture here.
If you refer to it with conservatives-like article, I bet it will confuse a lot of people, and especially me.

Aha thought Itd be fun to do, and the name makes a lot of sense aha. And definitely aha. A few future big names will make their start there, keep an eye out

Chapter 96: War For Heirs

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 96: Wars for Heirs

March,1702

“Sire, the Spanish have raided and pillaged across the borders from Navarre into Pau and Tarbes, however, they have not engaged in any actual combat. They are being led by Maximilian of Bavaria, and it seems their main aim is to sow some sort of chaos. The Rohans are trying to stem the tide, but do not seem able to.” Tellier said.

Louis looked at the man and then at the map before them. “They are going to try and distract us from proper engagement in the Netherlands. We cannot allow them to continue wreaking havoc amongst our people, but nor can we allow them to distract us from the main objective. Has Rohan actually managed to push them?” He did not think so, the man he had known as his friend since childhood was a defensive commander, not aggressive.

Louis was not surprised when Tellier shook his head. “No, Sire, it seems that Rohan has only managed to engage in some fruitless efforts to prevent local outrage. I would however, suggest that we focus more on dealing with Maximilian himself rather than the Spanish forces.”

Louis looked at the man and then said. “You mean to suggest we use the issue of Bavaria to sow discord between him and his brother? Thus, ensuring that he cannot completely control what his troops do?”

“Yes Sire, exactly. I think that whilst he might be King Consort of Spain, Maximilian still harbours hopes of ensuring that his line will continue ruling over Bavaria. I suggest that either we approach his brother, or we use a grandson of Your Majesty’s to ensure that the land can come under France’s direct influence.” Tellier replied.

Chamillart, finance minister spoke then. “Sire, I am not sure if such a measure would be wise. We are already charging an increased rate of tax, and the fear of Spanish invasion and Britannic invasion is what has kept the populace docile. The monetary needs for a campaign in Bavaria would be exponential.”

“We do not need to go directly into Bavaria ourselves, Sire.” Tellier replied. “All we need to do is make the people of Bavaria feel the need to invite us into their land. The Emperor might be drawn to the struggle, or he might not. Depending on his war with the Turks. Either way, it would handicap Maximilian.”

Louis thought on it for a moment and then said. “Very well, inform our spies there, and see what the response is. If there is favourable outcomes to the initial approach then we shall continue. If there is not, then we shall not pursue it further. We do, however, wish for there to be some active engagement with Spain. Our grandson, the Duc de Anjou has struggled in Milan, we must rectify this situation. Our grandson Burgundy shall command four regiments, with Marshal Catinat there to advise him and ride for the south, to handle Maximilian.” Louis knew the move was risky, but he also knew it needed to be done. He did not want his nephew getting too many ideas in his head.

“Yes Sire.” Tellier said.

“Very well, dismissed.” Louis said, waving his hand. He watched his ministers depart, and then rose and walked to his own chambers where his wife was waiting for him, the thought even after so many years still excited him. She rose and curtseyed before him, and then kissed his cheek.

“How did it go, my King?” She asked.

“Well enough, we have decided to send our grandson to handle the Spanish King and his upstart army. We shall also ensure Bavaria becomes a new playground to sow discord between the King and his wife. We should hope that Britannia and the Netherlands so long at odds with one another will continue down such a path.” Louis replied.

“And do you think they will, Sire?” His wife asked him. “After all, Britannia is no longer under the rule of His Majesty’s cousins Charles and James. And Queen Anne has shown no desire to break from her alliance with the Dutch.”

“They are not natural allies, they will find something to disagree over. And if Spain should pull from the Spanish Netherlands, they will be hard pressed to agree to a division between themselves. Allowing for us to play the mediator. Emperor Leopold would not dare change his hands from Vienna to Brussels.” Louis surmised.

“A bold strategy for sure, Sire.” His wife replied.

“Boldness is what the great have when they are God’s chosen.” Louis stated, repeating words she had said to him once long ago. His wife smiled and they put thoughts of war behind them, for more pleasurable activities.

Chapter 97: Ending The Turks

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 97: Ending The Turks

June, 1702

Leopold took a sip of wine, and smiled, the news which had come in the morning had been particularly pleasant. He spoke for the council to hear. “We have received word from our son, the King of the Romans, about the recent victory he has commanded over the Ottoman Turks at Split, facing an army commanded by one of the Sultan’s most experienced commanders, he triumphed through using the new guns and cannon which sent the Ottomans racing to the hills and he killed the Pasha commander to boot.” Leopold put the letter down and said. “Gentlemen, the Turks are on the back foot here. Tell us what more must be done to break them?”

De Croy who due to his old age was not commanding from the front line anymore and had been appointed Commander in Chief of the Imperial General Staff, spoke then. “Your Imperial Majesty, this news is some of the best I have heard in my many years of service. With their defeat at Split, the Turks will retreat into Bosnia, and thus present us with a chance to take that country from them. What must be done is a consolidation of the forces under His Royal Majesty, the King of the Romans and Marshal Baden, a pincer movement into the country and a finishing touch.”

Waldeck, the second in command voiced a dissenting view. “Your Imperial Majesty, I think we would be going at the height of foolishness to try and go into Bosnia, we would be far better served by strengthening our hold within Croatia and Serbia, and ensuring that the Turks are defeated once and for all in their attempts to reclaim that land. If we go into Bosnia, we risk losing that advantage.”

“And if we do not pursue them, then we risk the same. We cannot be seen as cowardly, Sire.” Croy said.

Leopold turned to Metternich, the man was aging just like he was, but remained intelligent and far better than the Ottoman spies it seemed. “Metternich, what is your view? Will the Turks expect us to move into Bosnia?”

Metternich took his time to respond, but when he did, it was clear where he was leaning, something Leopold had always liked about the man. “I believe that they would think it obvious that we would pursue them, Sire. The Sultan needs a victory, and this would deliver it. Bosnia is under his command and has always been loyal. Complete control over Croatia and Serbia would bait him into coming back for one more knock out. We must keep our men where they will win.”

Leopold nodded. “Very well, we shall send word to our son and to Baden and instruct them to secure their positions. Now what word has there been from our Russian friends?” The alliance with Russia was still new to him, and Leopold was not sure how to feel about it. His wife thought Peter of Russia was an imbecile.

“Sire, the Russians have beaten the Turks and the Crimean Khans, forcing the Khans to recognise them as sole overlords over them. The Turks might try and contest this, but I do not think it likely.” Metternich said. “This means that they will turn their attention to Wallachia and Moldavia or to directly attacking the Turks in Constantinople.”

“I do not think Peter of Russia is as bold as that. He will need to consolidate his hold over Crimea before he can even think of going anywhere near Constantinople, Sire.” Croy said.

“I know.” Metternich replied. “However, we must consider the option that now he has the Crimea, with its access to the sea, that he will be less willing to play favourably. The Polish will rely on you, Sire, to protect them from Russian aggression. Especially with Frederick of Prussia’s exploits against the Turks.”

Leopold nodded, he knew that to be a reality, his brother by marriage was already relying on his presence and pressure on the Vatican to keep the Polish nobility in line. “What would you suggest then? He already has a marriage with one of William of Orange’s daughters for his son and heir.”

“An agreement over the fate of Wallachia and Moldavia, as well as discussion of future plans for an invasion of the Ottoman Empire would do it I think. He will want to return to this venture.” Metternich replied.

Leopold thought over this and then nodded. “Agreed, this seems the most reasonable course of action.” With that he rose, nodded to his councillors and walked out of the room, content with what he had heard and what had been discussed.