A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 62: A Russian In Amsterdam

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 62: A Russian In Amsterdam

Peter did not know what to make of Amsterdam, it was one new thing after another. The canals painted the picture of a city on water, like Venice or Atlantis, the streets painted a picture of a city fighting amongst itself for an identity, and then there were the women. Peter was grateful his wife had come with him, otherwise he might have slipped into old habits. And that was not something he wanted, he knew how important it was to make the right impression, especially now his Mother was dead. He took a breath, and then spoke.

“Your Highness, I believe we can agree that there are some things in this world that just have to be sorted out right away. I believe that you understand what I am referring to.” Peter said, in slightly broken though nearly perfect German.

William, Prince of Orange was a man that Peter respected by his reputation, he had fought the French, invaded France itself and managed to make Louis the Sun King’s nose bleed. The man straightened out and in perfect German replied. “Your Majesty, I understand you perfectly well. I understand your qualms about the Turks and I know that they have slowly been rebuilding since they were beaten by Emperor Leopold some time ago. I know that if my people were ready for another war I would plunge forward in an instant, however, that is not the case. My people are tired, and as such, I must consider that.”

That was not the answer Peter had been hoping for, he had travelled across the lands, getting support for another war against the Turk, and he hoped desperately that if he could get the Prince of Orange’s support a coalition against them could be formed. “Your Highness, I understand your people are tired, but you and they are religious people, think of the glory that could be obtained by completely removing the Turk from the lands of our forefathers!” Peter said, playing on what he knew to be the Prince of Orange’s religiosity. “We have the chance right now to drive an enemy that has been plaguing use for four hundred years out of our lands. The Turks are weakened beyond belief, a coalition of armies and we would have them dead.”

The Prince of Orange seemed tempted. “It is a tempting offer, Your Majesty. And I know that my people are very much keen to fight the Turk, but the war that has concluded recently drained much from our resources, in terms of money and men. We are tired, and I do not wish to ask my people to do something that I, myself am hesitating over.” Peter blinked hiding his disappointment, the Prince of Orange continued however. “I do, think however, that we would do well to forge an alliance for the future. You have a son do you not?”

Peter suspected that though he might not get the thing he had come for, he might get something else, and that was not something to scoff at. “I do, yes. My son Alexei is five years old. You have a daughter do you not, Your Highness?” He wanted to see whether William of Orange was going the same path he was, if not he would encourage him down that route.

“I do, yes. My daughter Henriette Marie is two years old.” The Prince replied, there was a pause, then the man spoke once more. “I believe that we should arrange for a mutually beneficial alliance. My daughter and your son should marry, it would open up doors for you into the rest of this fine continent of ours, and it would also enable an alliance that would ensure commitment for future wars.”

Peter considered this, he found that the offer was enticing, he wanted the people to see Russia not as some sort of backwater, but a proper nation, built on strength and might and power. This marriage might give him that. “I believe such an engagement would be most beneficial for my Kingdom and yours, Your Highness. I also believe that we might negotiate some trade agreements as well.”

The Prince of Orange nodded. “I believe that would be beneficial as well, Your Majesty.”

They whiled away the rest of his stay in Amsterdam discussing the finer points of the betrothal agreement, and of course the trade agreements, and at its end, it was decided that when Alexei was eighteen and Henrietta was fifteen they would marry, with Henrietta converting to Orthodoxy. Their trade agreements including the natural materials that Russia brought, and allowed for a Dutch hold over such agreements for a period of five years.

Chapter 63: Counting Time

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 63: Counting Time

“We have forty-eight million crowns in the treasury as of the last take on the tax collection. That is enough to ensure the state can run smoothly for ten to twelve years, without another war, but it would also require some cuts to the expenditure, Your Most Catholic Majesty. We would need to reduce the expenditure for balls and masques, and ensure some of the more luxurious foods coming from the East are reduced, or that their rate is bartered down. Otherwise, I fear that the people might revolt.” Those were the words of his finance minister Louis Phélypaux, a man who Louis trusted to some extent but not completely.

“And what is the mood of the people now?” Louis asked. He knew how the common man felt, his spies reported on that regularly to him, it was the nobles he wanted to know about, those treacherous wretches who barked and bit.

The finance minister seemed to know that that was what he was referring to. “They are understanding of the needs of the state, and their workers are bearing more of the financial burden than they are, so for the time being they are happy. However, I think they know that the time will come when they will need to pay more and therefore, I suggest that the cuts in expenditure be made now.”

“You would not suggest cuts to our army, now would you?” Louis asked, he knew Phélypaux was not a fan of the army he had kept mustered since the end of the last war, but the man was too smart to openly state this.

“Of course, Sire. Hence why I have suggested other avenues for cuts.” The man replied. The lie was obvious, but Louis let it slide.

“Very well, we shall want those cuts made before the next financial look and furthermore we shall want to see that they are being made in a balanced and respectable manner. We do not wish for more conflict between departments.” Louis replied, there had been an argument between the naval and the finance ministries some time ago, that he had had to intervene in.

“Now, as for Spain, Francois what is your report on that particular situation?” Louis asked, he knew that with the survival of Leopold’s daughter, the chance of his line inheriting Spain had greatly diminished, but that did not mean they couldn’t still get something from it.

Francois was his great minister’s nephew and so, he was trying to keep a balanced view of him, yet increasingly he was beginning to wonder if he should look elsewhere for a new Minister of War. “Your Most Catholic Majesty, Carlos of Spain remains alive, though barely. His mother, the dowager Queen continues her regency ensuring that the books within Spain are balanced. We have approached her about the dowry that is owed, she has said she will try and achieve what she can for that, but I do not think that there will be much that she can achieve there. Spain is relying on the diminishing returns from their colonies in the New World as well as profits from their Spanish Low Countries mission to pay off debts already owed. They will never have the room for the dowry.”

Louis had known this for some time, yet hearing it confirmed was somewhat reassuring. “Very well, what status would you say our position on the Spanish Low Countries is? Do we have the means and the needs to get the land that is rightfully ours?” He had added Lorraine to France and now he would add the richest part of the Spanish Empire to his domains as well.

“I believe, Sire, that France has a perfect reason to keep the Spanish Low Countries within her sights. I believe that if the Spanish have any sense they will see this as well.” Francois replied. “I do however, think that you will need to act quickly before Carlos of Spain dies and his niece comes to the throne.”

“We agree with you there. We wish for you to speak with the Spanish Ambassador and inform him of our conditions. That in exchange for a continued peace, and a peaceful transition the Spanish give up the Spanish Low Countries to us, in place of a dowry that they will never be able to pay. Furthermore, we would appreciate it if you would write to Luxembourg and inform him to keep his troops stationed near the border with the Spanish Low Countries ready and prepared.” Louis said. He knew the Spanish would likely reject this proposal, therefore it made sense to be prepared for war. “As for Poland, what is the situation there for our candidate?”

There was a feeling that Sobieski was dying, and as such Louis wanted his cousin to get the throne to have someone who countered Austrian influence in the region. “Sire, the Prince of Conti can count on the support of four of the biggest nobles in the Commonwealth, but the Emperor’s brother in law also has four of the nobles supporting him, meanwhile the Elector of Saxony has one, and Sobieski’s son has one also. I believe it will be a very close competition.”

“And Sobieski himself?” Louis demanded, the moment that old man died, he would send as much money as he could to convince the electors to choose Conti.

“Fading quickly, he lost the ability to speak.” Francois replied. Louis nodded, and deciding he had had enough of the meeting for the day, rose, and walked out of the room.

Chapter 64: Religion, What A Bitch

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 64: Religion, What A Bitch

“During the Parliament of our early reign, twice there were motions to have this Occasional Conformity Bill passed. We were told that the bill would not grant Catholics, and those who adhere to the barbarity of Calvinism the chance to take up positions within government, and yet we did not allow it to pass, due to the belief that such things would prejudice the running of government in favour of a minority who would prejudice the majority. And yet now, since the union of England and Scotland into Great Britannia, we have found it necessary to issue ten separate Orders in Council to ensure that those officers of ours who do not follow the Anglican or the Kirk do not face penalties for holding office. As we have faced the prospect of another five Orders in Council, we have summoned this meeting of the officers of our most venerable Cabinet, to meet in Stirling Castle, to discuss this issue.” Anne said, she had prepared this with help from Sarah, and now she wanted to hear the thoughts of these people she paid from the Crown coffers.

Sunderland, the Secretary of State for the Southern Department, and a man who was ailing, spoke then. “Your Majesty, it is my belief that in order to keep the country running smoothly and to prevent the destruction of anything that is precious, that it is necessary for there to be some form of legislation passed that eases the chances for Episcopalians who follow the Church teachings as Your Majesty’s great-grandsire so intended, to serve in government. Without the need for a permit from the Crown.” Sunderland paused, took a sip of wine and then continued. “Such a thing need not include Puritans, or those madmen of other denominations. Episcopalians and Presbyterians of the Kirk would be the most reasonable denominations to grant sanctuary to, as it would ensure that the best workers of government are allowed to work freely.”

“We recognise that, and yet, we worry that granting such a thing either through Order in Council or through Parliament could lead to calls from some either in opposition, or elsewhere for greater relief for those sections that are most abhorrent.” Anne replied. “We know that that scoundrel Pembroke and his minion Argyll wish for such a thing, to contradict that which our uncle had established within Scotland.”

James Drummond, Duke of Perth, and her Secretary of State for Scotland spoke then. “Your Majesty, I believe that the solution would be to protect the settlement that His Majesty King Charles had introduced during his reign. The Kirk is not as strong as it once was, the years since the Commonwealth of Cromwell has taught the majority of the people that they seek better protection from the Crown.” Drummond paused for breath. “Furthermore, those who follow the Scottish Kirk have never been the most loyal of subjects. Argyll being one of them.”

Anne was not sure whether Drummond was telling her the truth, or simply what he thought she wanted to hear, considering he himself had once been an Episcopalian before converting to Catholicism and then converting back. “And if that were to be proven true, would there be armed resistance as there was during our Grandsire’s time?” She had paid close attention to what had happened to her Grandfather, and she did not wish the same thing to happen to her.

“Your Majesty, there would be no armed resistance. The members of the Kirk are mainly on the South West of Scotland, and whilst there is a large congregation of such thinkers there, they are far outmatched by the supporters of the Episcopalian Church as intended by Your Majesty’s great-grandsire.” Drummond replied.

Anne nodded, she was still not completely convinced, but did not want to bring anyone else into that specific issue. “We would wish for the Bishops of the Kirk and the Church to give their views on this matter, and from there we shall act.” She would avoid a war if she could.

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Drummond replied, quite clearly disappointed.

Shrewsbury, who Anne knew was angling for the position of Secretary of State for the Southern Department once Sunderland died, spoke then. “Your Majesty, I would suggest that an Order In Council would look as though you were following down Your Majesty’s father’s pathway, something that might not go down too well, with some. Especially amongst the opposition. Consequently, I would argue that putting forward a draft bill and then ensuring that there is enough support for it to get it through the Commons would be sufficient.”

“What would the phrasing be?” Anne asked, knowing that Shrewsbury could phrase something in any which way, and she would be held responsible.

Shrewsbury looked at Jeffreys who spoke. “Something along the lines of: We Hereby grant through our powers as Sovereign of Great Britannia and Ireland the right for the people within the relevant faiths, to practice them free from discrimination, charge and refuse. We ask that Our Parliaments to accede to this request, in good confidence.”

Anne thought about the wording then said. “Present it more as a demand than a request, and ensure that the Commons know their patronage depends on this, and we shall agree.”

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Shrewsbury replied.

Content, Anne got up, nodded to her councillors and left, she had time with her children to look forward to.

Chapter 65: Plots of Treason

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 65: Plots of Treason

Archibald shifted, he disliked the heat within Chatsworth House it was oppressive and damp, but at least here he knew there would be less chance of being overheard and accused of something he was not doing, at least not yet. He took a sip of wine and then spoke. “You know something, Devonshire, I think we might well have underestimated the Queen. I think she knows just what she is doing and I do not like it whatsoever. The Toleration Act will be the death of my family and our supporters.” The Toleration Act was the bill put before Parliament by the Duke of Shrewsbury that would give Episcopalians and Arminian the right to serve in government offices, without needing a special permit from the Crown. Already, Archibald had seen the consequences in downward payments.

“I agree with you, but I do not think that precise military action will do anything but antagonise those we need to support us. Remember, Marlborough is on the Queen’s side and he is the nation’s favourite son.” Devonshire replied, the man looked haggard, he no longer attended Parliament, sending his son instead. “We need a more political route to frustrating this bill, and we need it soon.”

“A political route?” Archibald replied. “Are you mad? We do not have any control within the Commons, the first election of the joined Parliament produced a majority for the court party, and we have barely enough lords who consider it worth their while. Even Hamilton decided he wanted to support the Act, and he has never considered such a thing before. The only hope I can see is that either Shrewsbury comes to his senses or we resort to war.” Archibald hoped it would be that latter option, for if it were, he could raise enough men to cause the Crown a lot of problems.

“I do not think the Duke will change his mind anytime soon. I believe he has fully supported this act, for the possible benefits it could bring him. Already his estates in the West of England have grown, and he controls three to four boroughs already. He won’t change his mind.” Devonshire replied sounding resigned.

Archibald was about to ask what the hell they were doing here then, when Douglas spoke. The Marquess rarely opened his mouth for anything other than his wife, but here he was speaking. “I think, we are approaching this the wrong way. We are looking at this from our perspective. But think about it from the perspective of the bishops and the people.”

“The Commons are in favour of this.” Archibald reminded him, already frustrated with the man’s idiocy, honestly, why had he come south?

“No, what I mean to say is, the common people. The people who vote for the Commons and those who choose them. The ones who pay taxes but aren’t represented within the Parliament. Those are the people that need approaching.” Douglas said his eyes glinting. “They are the ones who can stir the wrath of the nation to ensure the Queen does not actually get this act passed. They are the ones who control the workflow of the shipping yards and the mines, and they are the ones who know where everything is. Think about it, get them riled up and things stop.”

Archibald looked at Devonshire, who said. “You aren’t wrong. There are significant swathes of the common people who would listen to us. Who care nothing for politics, but care immensely about their religion. Who would feel that the Crown is interfering where it has no right to. On the West coast, in particular.”

Archibald understood what he meant then. “Get them riled up and angry and the Crown will have to stop this dead in its tracks. Perfect. I know that my clan will support this movement and the people within Bute and Argyll itself will do what I tell them to. The area around Glasgow might be more complicated, but I can work with that.”

“I control the south-west, so that should not be hard whatsoever.” Devonshire said. “We shall have them protesting before the year is over.”

They both looked at Douglas who sat there grinning like an idiot. “I’ve already had my men spread the word within my area, though they are majorly Episcopalian, the threat of Catholics getting emancipation will be enough to get them to shoot themselves in the foot.”

“Very well, it is decided then. We shall meet again in three months’ time, before Parliament reconvenes.” Devonshire said, and they stopped the politics and gave into the whimsical pleasures.

I approve :) though by succeed what do you mean?

1) Her royal line continues...
2) If there is a revolution, she needs to win, or at least keep the throne. As shown in your tl, she seems to be a conscientious monarch, and raising her children to be the same. The UK seems to be in good hands here...

VVD0D95

Banned
1) Her royal line continues...
2) If there is a revolution, she needs to win, or at least keep the throne. As shown in your tl, she seems to be a conscientious monarch, and raising her children to be the same. The UK seems to be in good hands here...
Ah I get you, rest assured one way or another her line will continue :)

Chapter 66: Ahmed The Uncertain

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 66: Ahmed The Uncertain

Another day, another moment of wondering what the hell to do. Ahmed did not want to think about the mountain of work he had to do, the mountain of work his father and brother had left him, and yet he found that he had to. That was what being Sultan entitled, working and working, with very little time to enjoy oneself. It was frustrating and annoying. He had married twice now, and was expecting children from both his wives. He would need to sort out the succession as well, he suspected his brother Ibrahim wanted the throne.

His brother was on the council, as Ahmed had thought it would be wise to keep him close, to prevent him from plotting. So far, he had been proven right. “We know there are difficulties emerging within the war with Persia, we would know where we stand with regards to financing the war.”

Muhammed Pasha, the chief finance minister spoke then. “Sire, there is enough money to keep the troops paid and fed until roughly the third of the next year, but after that we shall need to raise taxes, and I do not think the people would appreciate that.”

“Why? Where have the resources for the extra need such as this gone?” Ahmed demanded. He had known there had been some flat out expenditure from his Father, but surely not enough to flatline the treasury completely.

“They went on building several monuments within the capital, Sire, as well as the summer retreat Your Majesty’s Father had ordered built before his death.” Pasha responded.

“Then stop the building of the monuments and the summer retreat, redirect those funds and the men working on them to the front line. We want this war with the Persians won convincingly.” Ahmed demanded, he knew that the war would continue as long as either side had men to send to fight and die. And he really wanted to win. “Mustafa, on that note, how goes the fighting?”

Mustafa Pasha was his father’s representative on the council, his father, Erzil, was the commander of their forces in the war against Persia. “Sire, we have received reports that our forces have managed to breach into Persia and take Khoy and Salmas. Meanwhile the Persian attempt to take Erbil has been repelled. So far, we are doing well, but my father fears that without some more men we might get stuck in a long drawn out war. With the Mughals fighting one another, that adds another conundrum.”

“What is the situation with the Mughals?” Ahmed asked. He really disliked the fact that their old Emperor had decided to die just when they needed him most. What idiot thought that at his age he could command an army into the field and not suffer the consequences?

“Currently, it seems that Muhammed Akbar has been given Kandahar by the Safavids, whilst Shah Alam and Azam Shah fight over the Mughal capital and surrounding regions. The Hindus have managed to secure the west for their own gain.” Mustafa said. “My estimation is that there will be a long fight for the throne, followed by an even longer fight against the Hindus.”

“So, we should not expect any aid from them in the near future?” Ahmed asked.

“Indeed not, Sire. They are as good as useless to us.” Mustafa replied.

“Which means that we will have to either end this war with the Persians, or look to our friends within the lands of the Infidel to try and reclaim that which was taken from us.” Ahmed said. Though his father might have agreed to the treaty which had seen most of their European possessions handed over to the Roman Empire-which was not Holy, or Roman- Ahmed was determined to reclaim it through whatever means necessary.

“Sire, I would urge caution.” Muhammed said. “The Infidel subjects within European lands are not so predisposed toward waging war as they might once have been. Our revenue streams continue but only at a fifth of what they were when your father first ascended the throne.”

Ahmed banged his hand on the table. “So, you are telling us that either we allow the other states to simply disappear under the hand of the infidel, or we risk rebellion for something that our subjects should be willing to do regardless? What sort of choice is that?” He knew he sounded petulant but it was where his mind was now. He saw his brother hiding a snigger, Ahmed went to turn on him, when Mustafa spoke.

“Sire, I would advise waiting and seeing. We know the Austrians are going to be fighting the French soon enough, we need only push out the Persians from Mesopotamia and continue our good work with the Hotaks to ensure that the Persians are tied up in Afghanistan. Then when war breaks out in Europe again, that is when we strike.”

Ahmed did not like it, he wanted to make his mark as soon as possible to revert the decline his father had started, and yet he knew that if he tried to do anything now, things would not go well. Reluctantly he gave his assent. “Very well, we shall do it the way you have proposed.” With that he rose and made his way back to his chambers, he needed a miracle.

Chapter 67: Azim, Chera?

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 67: Azim, Chera?

“Do you really think Akbar can be trusted to govern Kandahar properly? He was the one who started the entire rebellion against Grandsire all those years ago. No doubt he is scheming with Hotak, and planning when next to strike.” Azim said to his father. The rains and the winter had forced them to stop off before reaching Delhi last year, and they had made slow progress to Delhi since then. Father had ordered them to break, and rest at Sirsa for the time being, and Azim grew ever more nervous. His brother Jahandar held the city for Father, but there seemed to be something more pressing within Father’s mind.

“Akbar is a puppet for Hotak, and Hotak accepts our gold. He will keep our brother on a leash and execute him if the need arises.” The Emperor replied, since declaring himself as Bahadur Shah, father had become quite different, more imperious, more demanding and less likely to name Azim his successor.

“So, are you simply content to allow someone such as Akbar to remain at your back? He did spend a good ten years with the Persians, who knows what he promised them.” Azim said, what he said was likely not going to go down well with Father, but it was the truth. Azim had been there when they had negotiated the peace agreement, and something about Akbar had stuck wrong.

Father looked at him as if to silence him. “He will abide by our terms, or Hotak will kill him. We are more concerned with the path ahead of us. Delhi remains some time away, and our gut tells us that our brother Azam Shah will make a move. That he has not done so already is already making us suspicious.”

Azam Shah, the man who Azim thought his grandsire might have named his successor, or someone else, honestly, Azim was not sure what to make of the man. He knew of his record, knew the man was far more capable compared to his own father, but at the same time, allowing Azam to take the throne would mean Azim’s own death. And he didn’t want to die. “He controls Bengal, he will likely try and raise everything under his control and more. He might even get the Ahoms onside, he does have good relations with them, after all.” Azim said. There had been a rumour floating around that his uncle had intended for his heir Bidar to marry an Ahom Princess, something that would have provoked mass protests at court and elsewhere in the Empire.

“He will also likely get the kingdoms to the West of Bengal to rally for him. The fact that he has not yet made for Delhi concerns us. It is not like Azam to delay, there is something going on.” Father replied. Father had grown ever more paranoid since declaring himself Emperor, going so far as to have Jahandar arrest Umed, who was uncle Kam’s son, and a harmless one at that. “We think that he might well have men within Delhi who are plotting to remove us from power the moment we get there. We have written to Jahandar but there has been nothing since.”

Azim was about to say something, when Farookh, the chief commander of their forces entered, he bowed before Father and said. “Your Imperial Majesty, I bring word from the east. From your son Jahandar.”

“Speak now and tell us.” Father said, using the tone of Bahadur Shah, all confident and arrogant.

“Sire, His Royal Highness Prince Jahandar has sent riders to inform you that our presence is greatly requested. The city is under siege from the forces of Kam Bakhsh and the forces under the command of Bidar Bakht. He believes that they won’t be able to hold out for much longer.” Farookh said.

“When did he send this message?” Father demanded.

“The rider said he had set out a week ago, and had to take various pathways to avoid being captured. They have the entire city surrounded, Your Imperial Majesty.” Farookh said.

“Did they say how many men our brothers have?” Father demanded.

“Unfortunately not, Sire.” The man replied.

“Very well.” Father said, he looked at Azim and said. “Azim take the initial host forward; you shall be the frontal attack. We shall follow.”

Azim stood, bowed and said. “I will do you proud, Your Imperial Majesty.” His father waved a hand dismissing him. Azim strode from the tent, and made his way over to his units, barking orders, shouting for elephants and guns to be ready. He found his own elephant, mounted it, and then barked an order and off they went. He would let the camp hands handle the destruction of the camp. His things were sparse anyway. His weapons were all he needed now. Finally, he might get the chance to prove himself.

Chapter 68: Sambhaji, Ruler Of The World

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 68: Sambhaji, Ruler of the World

His son was married, the groom and his bride were sat celebrating the festivities. The toasts had been made, and food and drink were being consumed in great quantity by all involved. Sambhaji, Ruler of the Maratha Empire did not drink though, he had decided to keep his wits about him during his celebration, for he knew what the Hada and the Rajput were like. His son also did not drink, instead, sipping some apple flavoured water, that was a gift from the Britannic people. Sambhaji looked to his right and listened as Bishan Singh, the ruler of Amer spoke.

“You know, Your Majesty, the longer the Mughals keep fighting one another, the weaker they become, and the more chance there is that our brothers in the north will finally see sense and invite you take up what is your birthright.” Bishan Singh was a young man who dreamed big, already, Sambhaji knew the young man wanted power and prestige.

Keeping his voice neutral, Sambhaji said. “There are a great many of them, they breed like flies, always one coming up from another. We shall have to see how their current war goes before deciding what course to take on the north. Right now, we simply wish to preserve the rule over our states.” He had taken Deccan from the Mughals, and now with this marriage Rajputana was his.

Bishan Singh laughed, his face flushed. “Oh, come now, Your Majesty. We all know that Rajputana follows the whims of the Raja of Mewar, and he is very much in favour of you. He wants to be rid of the Mughal pests, and so he will support you through whatever you do.” There was a hint of bitterness within Singh’s voice, and Sambhaji wondered if the young man wanted to chance the order of prestige.

Sensing an opportunity, Sambhaji said. “You know, my King, the Raja of Mewar did once consider fighting for the Mughals, had it been Dara Shikoh and not Aurangzeb who had won the war of succession when Shah Jahan died, we could well be having a different conversation. That is not a chance we wish to take again.”

Seeing that Singh had fallen for the bait, Sambhaji merely waited. The young man, flush with wine and the thought of power, spoke hurriedly then. “Are you suggesting that you would not be against someone younger, and more devoted to the cause, taking the reins of power within the region, Your Majesty?”

Sambhaji knew he needed to play it carefully, and so he simply said. “We believe that there is a time and a place, and we think that the time of Amer is coming.” He saw Singh’s face flush with pleasure, he got up then. “Now, if you would excuse us, we must have a few words with others.” Singh nodded, and hurriedly called for another drink. Sambhaji grinned, that was far too easy. He kept walking until he found Anup Singh, another powerful Rajput Prince, and Maharaja of Bikaner. The man bowed before him, he was reasonable sober, thankfully.

“Your Majesty, how might I be of service?” The man asked.

Sambhaji considered what might happen, he had heard that Delhi was under siege from the forces of Azam Shah, which meant that Bahadur Shah would be racing there to free his sons. That meant Faridabad was exposed, and that was there a hefty supply of guns and ammunition were kept. “How do you feel about commanding a force of men into Faridabad?” Sambhaji asked, aware that he was giving this man a high honour.

“I would not be against such a thing, but what would be the purpose, and how many men would I need?” the man asked. He was smart, there was a reason why Aurangzeb had never been able to find his resistance networks.

“We shall give you five thousand men, under the command of our commander Jadhav, we would ask that you bring four thousand men of your state and ensure they are prepared to fight. Faridabad might be lightly guarded but it will not be easy to take.” Sambhaji said, his spies reported that there were men preparing for war.

Anup Singh was silent for a moment then he nodded. “I would be much honoured to lead this assault. I shall hold Faridabad. Does this mean that you are planning to take Delhi, Your Majesty?” Sambhaji said nothing, he did not want to say anything about Delhi to anyone until he had spoken with his wife. He merely smiled, clapped the man on the back and then walked away.

He watched as Shahu and his son’s bride were taken to their rooms for the marriage to be consummated. He felt some pride for his son, the boy was smart, and good with a sword. He would need some work in tactics, and would now be able to attend council meetings. Perhaps the time would come when he could lead men into battle. Sambhaji took a breath and asked for some more water, he had a lot to do.

Chapter 69: Toleration Act

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 69: Toleration Act

“My lords, we are gathered here today, in this most ancient and noble house to debate an issue that is most pressing for the Kingdom as a whole. That is the matter of Her Majesty’s Toleration Act, meant to provide relief for Episcopalians and those of the Arminian denomination. I ask that His Grace the Duke of Shrewsbury, representing Her Majesty’s government give the opening address.” Lord Jeffreys the Lord Chancellor and Speaker of the House of Lords said.

Shrewsbury stood up, dressed in the colours of House Stuart, and spoke. “My lords, the Toleration Act is an act that will provide for the future of this Kingdom for many years to come. It has been found that the majority of those serving in government posts across this great Kingdom are either Episcopalians or Arminian, therefore it makes no sense that they be charged and persecuted for their father, when their faith is within the guidance of the Church teachings, as per the orders of His Majesty King Charles the First and His Majesty King Charles the Second. As well as His Holiness the Archbishop of Canterbury’s address from the past month, stating that Arminian were welcoming within the Church’s fold.” That last had been achieved through forced coercion. “Therefore, I urge all those within the House to consider the benefits that can come from allowing an open and free subject to take a role regardless of their Faith. We would all benefit from that.”

There were some murmurs at this from the opposition benches, those who were Tories fully supported the Toleration Act, as they did the betrothals of the Princesses to Sweden and Portugal. The Earl of Argyll who served as a chief speaker alongside the Earl of Pembroke on the opposition side got up and spoke then. “My lords, I find this turn most worrying. His Grace suggests that this act would provide relief to those practicing a faith that does not hold the support of the people within either Scotland or England. Be it the Episcopal Church which was forced on us by Her Majesty’s uncle and grandfather, or Arminian faith which produced an execution and led to war. Where is the relief for Puritanism or for Presbyterianism, the Kirk which served as the established church in Scotland for many years?” There were cheers from the opposition benches.

Charles got up then. “The Honourable Lord raises an interesting point there, and whilst it is true that the Kirk did serve as the official church of Scotland during the years of the Commonwealth, under that tyrant Cromwell, it was enforced through tyranny, and never truly accepted. Indeed, I am surprised that the Honourable Lord would wish for this form of church worship to be brought back, what with the clergy having suffered a serious scandal during Cromwell’s day and even recently.” Charles took a breath as jeers rang out. He continued. “The matter of Puritanism has been found to have been dealt with most aptly, Puritans have gone to the New World in their many numbers, and as such are not relevant within the Kingdom. The civil war ended many years ago, and the honourable lord is wrong to mention that now.”

Argyll got back up. “The Duke is foolish if he thinks that the people of Scotland will forget the harshness of the terms that King Charles put on them, when enforcing his popery. There is a reason that Glasgow has a saying that the Crow only crows once. There will be stiff resistance if this bill is passed.” The man sat down.

Charles rose. “I ask if the Right Honourable Lord was issuing a threat there?” He sat back down, the room was tense.

Argyll got back up. “That was not a threat, but a truth. A statement of fact. The people of the South West of Scotland have not forgotten what happened when King Charles enforced popery on them. Indeed, as my colleague the MP for Glasgow mentioned during the Common’s debate on this matter yesterday, there is nothing good that can come from this.” The man sat back down.

Charles got up, straightened the badge of government, then spoke. “Then, my lord, you are ignorant of the will of the majority who follow the Episcopalian Faith throughout Scotland and who do so willingly. I would not have thought someone such as yourself would have made a mistake such as that. I suppose now we know why the opposition remain the opposition.” He sat down as the Tories jeered the opposition.

The jeering continued for a long time then, Lord Argyll’s face looked as if it had been baked in the sun outside, eventually, Lord Jeffreys banged his hand against the table and said. “Order! Order!” He turned to look at Argyll. “Is there anything you wish to add?”

“No.” Argyll replied, his face still looking as though the sun had burned it.

“Then we move to a vote. All those in favour, raise your hand.” Jeffreys said, Shrewsbury raised his hand as did the entirety of the government and their supporters, and even some on the opposition’s side. “Those against, raise your hand.” A few did. The counters counted and then handed a paper to Jeffreys who opened it and said. “The ayes have it. The ayes have it. With this we acknowledge the passing of the Toleration Act.” He banged his hand against the table three times, and Charles smiled.

Chapter 70: The Emperor's New Clothes

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 70: The Emperor’s New Clothes

“We are currently experiencing the positive results of a peace for three years now, Your Imperial Majesty. The yields on returns from the produce and from trade are up by ten percent on last year, making it a thirty percent increase in the past four years. As a result the populous have enjoyed greater spending power, giving more coin into the treasury. In short, Sire, I believe there is enough room to reduce the taxation rate in Austria, Tyrol and Bohemia.” The Treasurer, Maximillian Von Hindenburg said.

“And do you recommend reducing the tax rate within the normal percentiles or by a greater amount?” Leopold asked, these were some of the things that he thought his son Joseph, King of the Romans, married man and now Father, should know, whether the boy was actually paying attention or not, Leopold did not know.

Hindenburg took a moment to speak, spending time looking through his notes, before eventually saying. “Sire, I think within the normal percentile rate of three percent would be more than sufficient. It would ensure that the nobility do not consider it too soon or too suspicious whilst also providing relief for the peasantry.”

Leopold looked at Joseph expecting him to comment, his son had voiced some thoughts on the issue of taxation before, and here did not disappoint. “You would have to explain that to the Hungarians. Only Bohemia, Austria and Tyrol would see a reduced rate, but Hungary would not. The Hungarians have just been won over from the Turks, we do not want them going over to their side again.”

Leopold nodded in agreement with his son, as did most of the council, Leopold suspected that when he was gone, his son would replace most of these old councillors with a newer breed of advisor. He hoped he would anyway, there was nothing more problematic than keeping old councillors who were stuck in their ways. Treasurer Hindenburg looked down at his notes and replied. “Then I shall look toward changing that and ensuring there is some measure of relief within Hungary for the peasantry. I do not think the nobility have much of a leg to stand on to really be frank, Your Imperial Majesty.”

“Are you certain or do you only think?” Leopold demanded. His son was right, Hungary was too newly won to be allowed to change sides again.

“I know, Your Imperial Majesty, they will not change course now.” Hindenburg replied.

“Good.” Leopold replied, then turning his attention to Metternich, a man who had proved his worth, time and time again he asked. “What word do you have of our brother by marriage? Is he doing well?” His wife’s second brother Charles had put himself forward as a contender for the Polish throne and Leopold had convinced the Russian Tsar to support him instead of the Saxon candidate.

Metternich smiled, and Leopold felt something akin to anticipation building within him. “Your Imperial Majesty, our friends in Poland have written to me to report some of the best news I think that we can have at this very moment. Not only has His Highness’s son Leopold survived, but he also emerged with the majority of the votes in the Royal Election and has therefore been offered the crown of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. I can confirm that he has arrived safely within the Commonwealth and shall be crowned before the year is over.”

Leopold smiled that was very good news, his brother by marriage had promised to aid in handling France as well as the Turks, and so with his ascension it seemed likely that they could have their plans for another war go ahead. There was just one thing he wished to know about the election. “Who finished second?”

“The Prince of Condé, Sire. He has conceded the vote and has returned to France, though my sources report that when news reached him, he wrote to his cousin of France, and the man said he would write to the Turks.” Metternich said.

“So, you do not think that we can count on the King of France to deliver on his promise to aid in a fight against the Turks?” Leopold asked. He had never really believed Louis of France when he had made that promise, still he wanted confirmation first.

“Sire, it is my belief that King Louis is not sincere about his desire to fight the Turks. He gets too much benefit from their trading alliance to risk it. Furthermore, he still desires the Spanish Low Countries, and it is my understanding that he considers that a far more worthy prize than some distant land that the Turks hold.” Metternich replied.

“And what of Russia? The Tsar seemed quite eager to take on the Turks when he visited.” Leopold replied, he remembered Peter of Russia, a young man filled with enthusiasm and desire to conquer the Turk, Leopold envied him.

“Tsar Peter was successful in his conquest, Sire. He has taken the Port of Azov, though it seems that he wishes to expand from there. The Turks are growing more and more tired of sitting around watching their lands face strain. Sultan Ahmed must move soon or face replacement.” Metternich said.

“Very well.” Leopold reaching a decision. “Send word to Russia, tell the Tsar that we shall soon be gathering men to meet with him to deal with the Turks once and for all.” As he said that, he dreamed of leading the campaign himself, and taking it as far as Jerusalem, to make good an old claim.

Chapter 71:The Neubeurg Queen

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 71: The Neubeurg Queen

It felt good to be out of her mother by marriage’s shadow. The woman had dominated everything and left her to the side. Now the woman was dead, and she had some power. She battled with the Archbishop for influence, but she had good men on her side, who were willing to help. They met to discuss what was happening within the Kingdom and outside, the Duke of Alba was her main advisor and it was to him she turned to. “My lord, you know the financial matters better than most anyone else in the Kingdom, tell me truly, do you think we will ever be out of this ruinous debt?” The debts of the Kingdom had alarmed her when she’d first seen them, thinking there had been some mistake.

The Duke of Alba looked tired, he spent most of his days reading through books and training troops, she knew, that was at least when he wasn’t entertaining some woman who Maria was very jealous of. “Your Majesty, I think that if we continue with the present tax rate we should have cleared the burden of the debt by the end of the year. However, I do feel that we shall need to address the situation of reforms within the numerous realms, to ensure that things remain compliant. I do not think the nobles of Castile will deal well with another war in Italy.”

Maria Anna sighed, there was a constant struggle to get the various Kingdoms of Spain into working order. She had once proposed abolishing the Cortes of the various minor Kingdoms and having it all centred in Madrid but that had been vigorously opposed by everyone and so they struggled on. “I do not know how that might be done without doing as I have already suggested, but that was rejected out of hand, and as such there has only been a year since then. Do you think the others would have changed much since then?”

The Duke said something she had not expected. “Your Majesty, I believe that we might have finally found a way to get them to do this. With His Majesty ailing, there is a chance that they will consider reforming as a chance to prevent further French aggression.” The Duke paused then continued. “As I am sure you are aware, Your Majesty, there is a lot of talk that King Louis of France wishes to take the Spanish Low Countries, the Spanish Ambassador has even suggested that they be handed over as the dowry that he claims he is still owed. Consequently, every voice within the Cortes and otherwise has voiced opposition to anything remotely favourable to the French. This is likely to bring war, and as such, we must present a united front, to prevent another invasion of Catalonia.”

“The King is to ill too move from his bed, let alone go on a tour that this would require.” Maria Anna pointed out. “Perhaps it would be better to try and get Her Royal Highness, Princess Maria to come to Madrid alongside her family and have them meet with the people and the nobles so that they all know one another.” Maria said, this was something she knew her mother in law had thought about a lot, but had never quite found the time to execute. “How is travel looking between Munich and Madrid?”

“Over land? It looks relatively easy, they would need to travel through Switzerland, and parts of France and then make the way into Madrid. Alternatively, they could travel the same route then take a ship into Barcelona and travel from there. Either way they would need to get here quickly. For the word around within our spies suggests that King Louis is looking to invade once more.” Maria Anna sighed at that.

“Does the man’s ambition know no bounds? How can he continuously insist on pressing the bounds of reality? He must know there would be war over that, and he must know anywhere else he tries would produce war.” Maria Anna said.

The Duke nodded. “I think that is precisely why he is doing it, Your Majesty. He is trying to force a war, a short one which will strain our finances and then force us to sue for peace, which he will then dictate.”

“And he will then of course demand something which we cannot give, or will not be able to give, thus fuelling more war, which will eventually bankrupt us, and ensure that we shall have to give into his demands.” Maria concluded. The Duke nodded, and so she said. “I want orders sent out to the garrisons in Aragon and the borders with France, in Naples and Sicily, and Sardinia, I want people prepared and alert. I want them knowing what it is they are doing and how they are going to do it. My husband is ailing, he might not live for much longer, we must be prepared. I want a letter sent out to Munich and to Vienna as soon as possible inviting Princess Maria here, alongside her family.”

“It shall be done, Your Majesty.” The Duke said with a bow of his head.

“Good, now, I must visit the King.” Maria replied, rising and walking out.

VVD0D95

Banned
So, here we have the acknowledgement of the realities of the situation Spain is in. What do you think, will Louis push for war when Carlos inevitably dies, or will he wait and see?