A Bridge to the 21st Century

We had a race! With the polls showing President Clinton closing the gap considerably against Governor Bush, we had accomplished what we set out to do at the onslaught of the convention. Unfortunately, we needed to sustain those gains, which wasn't always the case for trailing presidential candidates.

Four years prior, Bob Dole, who had trailed really since the start of the campaign that year, was able to surge in the polls after the Republican Convention and, after a week or so, the polls pretty much returned to normal - with Clinton leading by double-digits. We felt, though, that having the convention last, since we were the incumbent party, the gains could be more sustainable. There wasn't a Republican event to offset what we were seeing in the polls.

Of course, the President still trailed in the polls, even if he was back in the race. We needed to change that. But the game plan from the start was to pull as close to even as possible prior to the debates and then let the Clinton Magic take over.
- A 21st Century Campaign (John Sasso)

CLINTON & LANDRIEU HIT THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL
40,000 greet the campaign in Tampa, Florida

large_landrieuwin.JPG

Senator Landrieu greets supporters at a Clinton-Landrieu rally in Tampa, Florida

LANDRIEU THE ROCK STAR
Thousands rally to get a glimpse of historic running mate

crowds.jpg

An estimated 25,000 rallied in Orlando, Florida this past Saturday.

LANDRIEU-CLINTON? SENATOR MORE POPULAR THAN PRESIDENT
Bill Clinton might be atop the ticket, but Landrieu is the buzz

mary-landrieu-warren-easton-clinicjpg-cee28c336994fb8f_large.jpg

Sen. Landrieu waves as she addresses supporters.

LANDRIEU'S POSITION ON ABORTION SCRUTINIZED
Pro-choice groups question her commitment to choice

keep-abortion-legal-poster.jpg

The National Organization for Women wants Sen. Landrieu to clarify her position on abortion.

LANDRIEU DISCUSSES ABORTION IN ABC INTERVIEW

Diane-Sawyer-ABC-World-News.jpg

Diane Sawyer: This week, NOW released a statement questioning your commitment to choice - suggesting that your stance on abortion might be counter to that of the President's and a majority of your party's. Do you consider yourself pro-choice?

Mary Landrieu: I've always believed in the right to choice and will firmly stand in opposition of any policy that restricts that choice. As a woman, this issue has always been important to me and though I have personal beliefs that might differ from those in my party somewhat, on the whole, I am committed to fighting for a woman's right to choose. I have as senator and will as vice president.

Diane Sawyer: Do you think that you, as a woman, have more sway on this issue?

Mary Landrieu: I think it's a deeply personal issue and one that should remain that - a personal issue for a woman to make and I would never believe that the government has the right to step in and tell a woman what to do with her own health - or even the health of her family. I am a moderate Democrat and that also means I am for smaller, efficient government. I do not support the idea of government intrusion into the personal lives of American women and will fight, as a woman, that every step of the way.

Diane Sawyer: But a lot of women are pro-life, do you think there is a conflict of interest?

Mary Landrieu: I think that's the beauty of choice. I wouldn't dare tell them where they should come down on the line of abortion, but I would also hope for, and honestly expect, the same courtesy.​

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER, 2000 - SWING STATE POLLS SHOW CLINTON CLOSING GAP
Bush still leads, though

51563196.jpg

Bush campaigns in Michigan, an important battle ground state.

USA Today/Gallup Swing State Polls: (September 1st-4th, 2000)

Ohio:

"If the 2000 presidential election were being held today, for whom of the following would you vote...?"

• George W. Bush: 49%
  • Bill Clinton: 47%
  • Unknown/Other: 4

Florida:

"If the 2000 presidential election were being held today, for whom of the following would you vote...?"

• Bill Clinton: 45%
  • Unknown/Other: 6%

Iowa:

• George W. Bush: 47%

Michigan:

• Bill Clinton: 52%
  • George W. Bush: 44%
  • Unknown/Other: 4%

Pennsylvania

• Bill Clinton: 51%
  • Unknown/Other: 2%

GERALDINE FERRARO DELIGHTED OVER CLINTON'S PICK
16 years ago, Ferraro made history as first female major party running mate

geraldine-ferraro.jpg

Former vice presidential nominee Geraldine Ferraro sat down with Larry King to discuss the election.

Larry King: What do you think of, uh, Senator Landrieu - good pick I assume? She's making history just like, just like you did sixteen years ago.

Geraldine Ferraro: I am delighted by President Clinton's pick and overwhelmed at the possibility of having a real female vice president. I think it was a very smart pick - she's obviously capable and competent and an exceptional woman.

Larry King: You've met her?

Geraldine Ferraro: I haven't met her yet, Larry, but we actually have plans for a lunch when she's campaigning in New Hampshire next week. So, so, I'm very excited about that.

Larry King: When, you know, you and Mondale, you guys lost in '84 - do you feel better about her chances than, uh, uh, your chance back in, uh, sixteen years ago?

Geraldine Ferraro: I do. I think President Clinton will win because his message is resonating with the American people and I do anticipate Mary Landrieu as our next vice president. And I get giddy at even saying that. You know, you're right Larry, back in '84, there was only a brief moment where I think Walt and I thought we would win, but it became pretty clear that the race was going - was not going our way and it was disappointing, obviously, but it is what it is and I'm excited to be alive with the possibility of seeing this through.

Larry King: Do you believe there is still sexism in our society or would, uh, would a victory by Clinton and Landrieu do away with it?

Geraldine Ferraro: I do believe sexism still exists and I hope it doesn't become an issue in this campaign. Look, I think we've definitely come a long way from even where we were back in the mid-80s, but it's not going to be stomped out if they win and she becomes the next vice president. But I do believe that her running, and her winning, will, uh, open the door for more women to run and win in the future and hopefully, and maybe we'll see it with Senator Landrieu, that this leads to a female president.​

BUSH RALLIES RARELY, IF EVER, MENTION LANDRIEU
Governor sticks to Clinton as punching bag

GeorgeW.Bush2000x-large.jpg

Clinton's choice of Landrieu really changed the dynamics of the race. The President had been struggling to close the enthusiasm gap and Landrieu changed that. It also changed the Bush message, as they didn't want to focus on Landrieu and run the risk of alienating female voters. Polls had indicated, even with women who were supporting Bush, that the nomination of Landrieu had made the demographic extremely proud and upsetting them could backfire and send them into the Clinton camp.

Memos from the Bush campaign suggested they were nervous about Clinton's expanding lead among female voters. Originally, Bush held a slim lead, but after the selection of Landrieu, the gap closed virtually overnight and Clinton began building a marginal lead among those voters. But they weren't solid and many female voters had turned on Clinton because of everything that had happened with Monica Lewinsky. They weren't quite ready to forgive and didn't trust him enough to fully embrace him. It meant he would have to solidify those votes, win them over, and Bush knew any negative story, a rally where something was said from the crowd, or even a slip-up from the campaign, could devastate their standing among women voters. So, the official policy of the campaign was to not mention Landrieu and keep the focus on President Clinton.
- BUCKLE UP! The Election 2000 Thriller (Larry J. Sabato)​

CLINTON & LANDRIEU STOP BY OPRAH
President tries to woo must-win female vote

billoprah.jpg

BUSH & CLINTON LOCKED IN TIGHT RACE
Latest poll puts Bush only up 2 on the President

abcwapo.jpg

ABC News/Washington Post Poll (September 20th-23rd)

• George W. Bush 49%

WITH POLLS TIGHT, BUSH & CLINTON PREPARE FOR DEBATE
The first debate next week could be pivotal to either's chances

DEBATE_BUSH_PEROT-thumb-620x930-126471.jpg

In this photo from the '92 presidential debate, Pres. Bush checks his watch in a move that all but ended his campaign for reelection.

For the entire race, we had anticipated the debates would prove to be the moment where President Clinton took advantage of his skills and put Governor Bush away. He was not only a good debater, someone good with facts, but also a very engaging debater - someone who could make average folks in the audience, and even at home, think he was talking directly to them. I don't think there was a debate the President lost and we were confident heading into this debate that he would prevail. But expectations were high. He was, after all, seen as the far better equipped candidate on the stage and the media had really set the narrative that Governor Bush just was way out of his league. That worried us a bit because we knew all the Governor had to do was not fall over himself and he could be declared the winner.

The goal for the first debate was to put Governor Bush on the defensive, get him to stumble in his wording and provide, hopefully, a gaffe that allowed some daylight between the two campaigns.
- A 21st Century Campaign (John Sasso)​

OCTOBER, 2000 - BUSH HITS CLINTON ON LEADERSHIP
Clinton narrowly bests Bush in post-debate poll

bushclintondebate.jpg

President Bill Clinton & Governor George W. Bush met in Boston for the first of three presidential debates.

Jim Lehrer: Good evening from the Clark Athletic Center at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. I'm Jim Lehrer of the NewsHour on PBS, and I welcome you to the first of three 90-minute debates between the Democratic candidate for president, President Bill Clinton and the Republican candidate, Governor George W. Bush of Texas. The debates are sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates and they will be conducted within formats agreed to between the two campaigns. We'll have the candidates at podiums. No answer to a question can exceed two minutes. Rebuttal is limited to one minute. But as moderator I have the option to follow up and extend any give and take any three-and-a-half minutes. Even then, no single answer can exceed two minutes. The candidates under their rules may not question each other directly. There will be no opening statements, but each candidate may have up to two minutes for a closing statement. The questions and the subjects were chosen by me alone. I have told no one from the two campaigns, or the Commission, or anyone else involved what they are. There is a small audience in the hall tonight.

And now the first question as determined by a flip of a coin, it goes to President Clinton. President Clinton, Governor Bush has been critical of your ethics, suggesting that you're not truthful and therefore not suited to be president. Mr. President, do you think you have an honor problem?

(laughs, mixed with groans)

Bill Clinton: Well Jim, let me first start by thanking the sponsors of tonight's debate, as well as the city of Boston, and Governor Bush for participating tonight. I would also like to thank my family for being here and supporting me, as they have done over the years so well.

I don't like that question, Jim. I think I've proven to the American people that while I have my flaws, and I'm certainly not immune to mistakes, my sole intention as president has been to lead this nation to its potential. I said as much when I ran eight years ago and I believe as much today.

I think Americans are tired of this level of petty, personal politics. They want ideas and policy - they want their candidates to discuss what is important to them, not sling mud and make wild accusations or to imply that one candidate isn't worthy of serving this great nation. Now I don't believe Governor Bush's policies are good for America and that's what this election is all about - but I do know, I do know that I would never question whether or not he was suited to be president because of his personal life and what he's done in the past - the mistakes he's made, corrected or not.

That's the greatness of America. We know that when you do make a mistake, you're given a chance to redeem yourself. We don't judge in America because we all know our presidents are as human as we are. They struggle with the same temptations and make the same mistakes. In the end, when you do make a mistake, you own up to it, admit it, apologize for it and hope for forgiveness. I've done all that and now I'm focused not on personal indiscretions, but actual, honest, hardworking leadership.

Jim Lehrer: Governor Bush, one minute rebuttal.

George W. Bush: The President is right about one thing, people do make mistakes and we are a very forgiving country. But when you're the president, when you're the leader of an entire country, a superpower, you owe it to the people to lead appropriately. Where the President is wrong is in his assertion that he's led. He hasn't. Because of his own personal pitfalls, our nation has seen little leadership the past four years and because of that, not much has gotten done. We can't afford another lost four years.

Bill Clinton: Jim, if I can - if I can respond...

Jim Lehrer: You have one minute, Mr. President.

Bill Clinton: Thank you. I can't help but think that Governor Bush has been out on the campaign trail a bit too long and has forgotten that it was his party, members who support his campaign, that waged the war on me, tying up our government on an issue that a majority - a very large majority - of this country opposed to settle some pathetic, petty political score, and that was entirely at the expense of the American people. I made my mistake. I paid for my mistake - but I'm not going to apologize for a Republican Congress that's sole purpose was to bring me down.

ABC News Poll (October 3rd, 2000)

Who won the first presidential debate?

• Bill Clinton: 42%
  • George W. Bush 39%
  • Draw: 19%

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the campaign plays out.

I wonder if you're planning to make Bush (or someone in his campaign) bring up the third term issue, to attempt to woo voters uncomfortable with it? Bush could look hypocritical if he does this, unless he spacifically states that if he's elected, he'll only stay in power for 2 terms.

BUSH GETS SMALL BUMP IN POST-DEBATE POLL
Now leads President by 5 nationally

51563170.jpg

Bush campaigns in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania a day after debating President Clinton.

ABC News/Washington Post Poll (October 4th-5th):

• George W. Bush 51% (49%)
  • Bill Clinton: 46% (47%)
  • Unknown/Other: 3% (4%)

The campaign was disappointed by the first debate. While President Clinton had answered the questions well and didn't make any mistakes, the fact the debate opened debating his personal indiscretions really threw the President off the message he wanted to deliver that night. It put him on the defensive, even though he wanted to be on the offensive from the start and gave an opening to George W. Bush to once again hammer home this idea that President Clinton wasn't truthful enough to lead another four years.

That was the President's biggest weakness and the Bush campaign knew it. They were aided by the questions and pounced, and because the narrative was set early, even when the debate turned back to other areas that played up to Clinton's strength, the first question just hovered over the room for the remainder of the debate. Fortunately, the President was able to recover, but Bush had a very good debate. He was on point and didn't stray or get caught up in difficult answers. While polls showed that Clinton had narrowly won the night, later head-to-head polls actually indicated Governor Bush gained the most from the first debate, as he expanded his lead over President Clinton. It wasn't a huge spike in support, but in a close election, it could turn out to be the deciding factor.

With the first debate out of the way, attention quickly turned to the vice presidential debate. We expected record-watching crowds because of Mary Landrieu and hoped, for her sake and ours, that she would be able to leave Kentucky with some much-needed momentum.

DANVILLE, KY SET FOR HISTORIC VP DEBATE
Senator Landrieu set to debate Dick Cheney

debate.jpg

LANDRIEU, CHENEY DUKE IT OUT IN VP DEBATE
Heated debate leads to awkward moment between two

dicklan.png

Mary Landrieu and Dick Cheney both smile before the start of the vice presidential debate.

DID CHENEY COMMIT DEBATE FOUL?
During heated moment, candidate leans over and grabs Landrieu's arm

big_time_dick_goes_small_time.jpg

In last night's debate, vice presidential candidate Dick Cheney reached over and firmly placed his hand on Landrieu's arm - alarming many onlookers.

MANY FEEL CHENEY OVERSTEPPED BOUNDARIES IN DEBATE
No official comment from campaign on the matter

PHO-10Aug26-247305.jpg

Every candidate has his or her own comfort zone during a debate. When the two are placed at a table together, sometimes that comfort zone becomes pretty narrow. In the vice presidential debate, while both candidates started on the different end of their shared table, somehow, Landrieu and Cheney had converged toward the middle during the debate and were a bit closer than I think they would have liked.

During a question on education, where Landrieu doubted some of Cheney's numbers, he reached over, placed his hand on her arm, and abruptly started speaking over her. This did not play well to most folks at home and I think the Secretary knew his mistake right away, as he quickly snatched back his hand and looked uncomfortable the remainder of the night.

The portrayal in the media was that Cheney acted very condescending toward the Senator and that was not the image the Bush campaign wanted coming out of the debate.

The gaffe, or 'Arm-Gate' as it was later referred to in the media, would dominate the discussion for the next week and really offered the Clinton campaign a boost in the polls - forcing the Bush campaign, which had remained silent on the issue, to confront it.
- BUCKLE UP! The Election 2000 Thriller (Larry J. Sabato)​

CHENEY FORCED TO COMMENT ON 'ARM-GATE'
Tells media it was an unfortunate and involuntarily move

101207-cheney-2p.grid-6x2.jpg

Secretary Dick Cheney answers questions at a Bush campaign press conference.

LANDRIEU SAYS ISSUE NOT A BIG DEAL
Accepts Cheney's apology and says 'time to move on'

04blog-landrieu.jpg

Senator Landrieu campaigns Thursday in Henderson, Nevada

ARM-GATE HURTS BUSH'S STANDING AMONG WOMEN
Polls now show statistical tie between candidates

cbsnyt.jpg

CBS News/New York Times Poll (October 6th-10th, 2000):

• George W. Buh: 48%
  • Unknown/Other: 5%

Among women:

• George W. Bush: 42%

BUSH, CLINTON SET TO MEET IN SECOND DEBATE
Polls suggest the race is essentially tied

628x471.jpg

Bill Clinton campaigns in West Virginia ahead of tomorrow's important presidential debate.

IN SECOND DEBATE, CLINTON FOCUSES ON SUCCESS
Bush continues to call for real leadership

clintonbush.jpg

Governor George W. Bush listens as President Clinton answers a question in Wednesday's debate.

Jim Lehrer: Mr. Governor, you have been critical of President Clinton taking credit for the economic success the nation has experienced this decade. Do you want to expand on that - where do you think the credit lies?

George W. Bush: Right. You know, President Clinton has been good at taking the credit for this economic growth, but the reality is, and I think a great deal of economists on both sides of the aisle will agree with me, is that it was mostly a cooperative effort between the White House and congressional Republicans. Their policies, holding the President's feet to the fire in the 90s, really led us out of the recession and into the economic prosperity we're experiencing today. Now do I believe President Clinton deserves some of the credit? Most certainly. He worked with the Republicans, came to an agreement with the Republicans, eventually signed what the Republicans brought to his desk - but let's not pretend, you know, that the President alone saved our economy. He had a lot of help. He had a great deal of help. In fact, I'd wager he was the one helping the Republicans, because, if you look at the battles fought in Clinton's first term, especially after the, you know, mid-term elections in '94, the Republicans were the ones who advanced the economic agenda the President, even at times reluctantly, signed into law.

So, I stand by my statement. Congressional Republicans did the heavy lifting here. The President was smart to pass their agenda, but if we're being honest here, Jim, the reality is pretty stark: the President's initial agenda, the one he ran on in 1992, did not see the light of day. He had to radically adjust his economic agenda, scale back a stimulus, invest more in responsible government than he would have liked and that was a direct response to the Republicans' take over.

Jim Lehrer: Mr. President, your response?

Bill Clinton: What Governor Bush just said is absolutely not true. You know, Republicans conveniently forget that I was president for two full years before they took over the House in 1994. The economic recovery, and subsequent expansion, was in full bloom by the time the Republicans rolled to their victories halfway through my first term. The fact is, and the Republicans won't tell you this, but the unemployment rate on the day I took office was 7.5%. At the time the Republicans took control of the House and supposedly ushered in new economic prosperity, the unemployment rate had dropped to 5.6%.

Those are the facts. That's the reality. The economic growth we've seen this decade started well before the Republican Party won its way into control of the House. We've continued this prosperity, the success we've seen in the 90s, because of the economic foundation my administration laid at the beginning of the decade. My economic policies, many of which I did run on back in '92, Mr. Governor, were not supported by the Republicans. In fact, your own party didn't want anything to do with my economic agenda until it proved successful and then they did what Republicans do best, they started taking credit for it.

But the real question is not who deserves the lion share of the credit, but what economic agenda we're going to take with us further into the 21st Century. Governor Bush's policies are no different than the tried-and-failed policies of the past Republican administrations. He will bankrupt our nation, spend us into the ground, run up our debt and leave us financially impotent for decades to come. He won't tell you how he'll pay for his tax cuts for the rich because he knows there isn't money there to pay for them - even if you include the surplus we've seen the latter half of the past decade.

That's the real issue here tonight. We have seen unprecedented growth using an economic policy that is fair, reasonable, and smart. My opponent supports an archaic economic agenda that will gut our economy and leave us broke.

George W. Bush: Jim, I'd like to respond - can I respond?

Jim Lehrer: You have one minute, Governor.

George W. Bush: I think the difference between the President and myself is pretty clear: he doesn't trust you with your money and I do. He wants the government to continue to expand, taking your hard earned tax dollars to fund programs that are outdated, obsolete, and in some cases, absolutely ineffective. President Clinton's economic agenda won't lead to sustained economic success because it has shifted the burden to the American people and as history has shown, that never works. We've lucked out, we've lucked out these past few years because we've had a Republican controlled House and Senate to keep the President and his liberal policies in check, but that firewall won't always be there and the American people, if they reelect the President will, uh, will, uh, find out just how damaging his agenda is for their communities - I mean, he doesn't trust you with your own money! That's what it boils down to.

Jim Lehrer: All right, if we can -

Bill Clinton: Jim, I'd like to respond to that.

Jim Lehrer: Well we do have to -

Bill Clinton: Just one minute.

Jim Lehrer: Okay. Okay. Just one minute and then we do have to move on.

Bill Clinton: Thank you, Jim. Don't let Governor Bush fool you. He doesn't trust average, everyday Americans with their money - he trusts the billionaires with your money. That's pretty much what his tax cuts amount to - cuts for the rich, while the working class is forced to supplement it through cuts to programs they depend on. His tax plan will balloon the budget deficit and in order to pay for it down the road, he will dip into other areas of the budget - he'll cut education, he'll put Social Security on the chopping block and for what? For you can pocket an extra $20 a year, while some CEO is lining his pockets with $100,000 in extra income just as he ships your job overseas? That's not an economic agenda that will work for the American people. It will ruin our economy and undo everything we've worked so hard to accomplish these past eight years.

CBS News Flash Poll (October 11th, 2000):

Who won the second debate?

• George W. Bush: 25%
  • Draw: 28%

Last edited:
It will be a very, very tight race. Even if/when Clinton takes the lead, it's going to be well within the MOE throughout the remaining weeks.

well I think Clinton though no matter what will be able to lead America into a better future than George Bush and hopefully can stop 9/11 and keep on reducing unemployment and the debt

The President was very satisfied with his performance. He felt the message he delivered, calling Governor Bush on the distortion of his record, played well to the American people. Polls seemed to indicate this and we knew, with the election at arm's length, we were gaining some much needed momentum heading into the final weeks. It really started with the vice presidential debate, the whole dust-up with 'Arms-Gate' and continued well into this debate.

But we didn't want to get ahead of ourselves. This election was still close and every poll put it within the margin of error. That meant turnout would be key in the slew of close states and there, we worried if we could compete with the Bush grassroots machine.

CLINTON GAINS LEAD IN TIGHT RACE
President leads Governor Bush for first time this year

07_clinton_1997.gi.jpg

President Clinton campaigns in suburban New Jersey.

ABC News/Washington Post Poll (October 12th-14th):

• Bill Clinton: 49%

KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON HITS PRESIDENT
Senator's role is to drum up women support for Bush

hi_j0127.jpg

The Bushes rally with popular senator Kay Bailey Hutchison.

Diane Sawyer: Obviously you support Governor Bush and have been working with him, working to get women out to vote for him, these past few months. But, but, uh, do you take pride in Mary Landrieu's position as Clinton's running mate?

Kay Bailey Hutchison: Well Diane, obviously there is pride. I think it's important women have a pivotal role in American politics and the fact she's running, and is a viable candidate, for the vice presidency is a huge step in the right direction for, you know, female equality. But as it was sixteen years ago, her being a female is not the issue in this election. I think it's great, you know, but I'm not in the game of voting for someone because I share the same sex as they do. This election is too important for that. American women, I think, were caught up in this idea, and clearly proud, as they should be, but when they look over Landrieu's record, listen to the President speak, I think it becomes more and more apparent neither are what America needs at this time. But that doesn't diminish Landrieu's role. She's made history as only the second female running mate on a major party ticket and I'm hopeful it will open more doors for others in the future to run and maybe, and I think we will one day, we'll elect a female to a high position in our government, president, vice president, whatever, who shares the views of average Americans. Landrieu and Clinton don't.

So, while I am proud, I'm not disillusioned by her gender and I believe, and have said as much on the campaign trail, that Governor Bush is the true candidate for women.

Diane Sawyer: And why is that - why should women support Bush?

Kay Bailey Hutchison: Because he's for families. His whole campaign is rooted in traditional family values that I think most women understand and want. They want economic security. They want a president who, who, uh, stands up for families. Who will take government off the backs of working, and middle class, families. President Clinton continues to over-tax American families and Governor Bush's message has been pretty consistent and clear: he trusts American mothers with their household money, Bill Clinton and Mary Landrieu don't.​

CANDIDATES READY FOR FINAL DEBATE
With election so tight, debate outcome could alter race

St%20Louis.jpg

St. Louis, Missouri hosts the third and final presidential debate.

'GO FORWARD' CLINTON TELLS DEBATE CROWD
Bush says, 'It's time for change'

clintonbush3.jpg

Governor George W. Bush, President Clinton and debate moderator Jim Lehrer speak after Tuesday's final debate.

Jim Lehrer: All right. Now we're going to go to closing statements. President Clinton, you're first.

Bill Clinton: Thank you, Jim. Thank you Governor Bush for a spirited three debates and thank you to the great people of St. Louis, as well as the faculty and students here at Washington University.

You know, these past eight years, I've been blessed with the opportunity to take part in a new American rejuvenation. I've visited cities that, eight years ago, were on the verge of economic armageddon. I visited communities and neighborhoods that had high unemployment, unchecked crime and a depressed people. It was devastating to see how little the American Dream had touched huge pockets of our country. Millions of Americans were barely scraping by and millions more were down and out - they had no hope and little future prospects. As someone who grew up poor and saw the struggles of a single mother, I could sympathize with these folks. I could see the pain in the eyes of a mother who didn't have enough money to take her child to the doctor and couldn't rely on the free clinic down the street because their doors closed a year prior.

When good, hardworking Americans are hurting, when their livelihoods are in question, our nation is at its weakest. Eight years ago, if you traveled the streets of many American cities, visited these towns, these communities, spoke with the unemployed and underemployed, you could understand just how difficult attaining the American Dream was for a large portion of our country.

When I ran for president eight years ago, I promised to change that. And though it wasn't easy and there were certainly setbacks, when I visit those once economically depressed communities today, I see firsthand how dramatic the lives of these Americans have improved. Unemployment is at a record-low. The industrial might of the American heartland is back. Our streets are safer, our people are safer and they're thriving in an economy that works for them. We can't afford to risk going back to the same old failed policies that got us into this mess in the first place. We've come too far, we've done too much, we've worked so hard to turn around and return to the Republican economic agenda that guts the middle class, drives up our budget, and plunges our nation not only into debt - but economic recession. We've been there. We've done that. We can't afford to do it again.

So, I ask for your vote next month to help continue the progress we have made as nation these past eight years. It's been a great decade for our country and it's important to keep that greatness going well into the 21st Century. Thank you.

Jim Lehrer: Governor Bush?

George W. Bush: Well thank you. Thank you Washington University and the President. Appreciate the chance to have a good, honest dialogue about our differences of opinion.

I think the American people have clearly seen the differences between the President and myself. I want to enable the American people and take advantage of the success we've seen over the last decade - grow the economy, but also return the Americans their hard-earned money so that they can once again invest in small business and American businesses helping communities that have, sadly, been untouched by the 90s recovery. I want to do something President Clinton could never do - reform medicare and Social Security, something he promised eight years ago. I want to bring legitimate and responsible healthcare reform to this country, something he failed to do in his first term.

I want to bring respect back to the Oval Office. You know, when I was a kid, when I was a kid growing up in Texas, uh, Midland, I looked at the presidency as the definitive office of this great country. Whether you agreed with him on policy or not - whether you voted for him or not, you still respected him because of the office he held. When I was born, the year I was born, Truman was president. Though of a different party, you knew he meant business and you darn well respected his word - and his actions. I've seen a lot of presidents come and go and almost exclusively, the respect has been there from the American people - they even respected unpopular presidents. But I get a sense, and it saddens me, that this country doesn't respect the office anymore. It's been cheapened and when it's cheapened, our nation is weaker for it.

I pledge to you that every day I will work for you. I will do my best to do what is right. I will be truthful and committed to the ideals of this great country. I don't know if I'll always make popular choices, but you'll know when I do make 'em, they will have been made with strong convictions. Because that's what a leader does and this country, unfortunately, has been lacking that for the last eight years.

Should I be fortunate enough to become your president, when I put my hand on the Bible, I will swear to not only uphold the laws of the land, but I will also swear to uphold the honor and the dignity of the office to which I have been elected, so help me God. Thank you very much.​

POST-DEBATE POLL DECLARES CLINTON WINNER

p47177-03-04nov1996-sioux-falls-rally-low.jpg

President Bill Clinton holds a post-debate rally in St. Louis, Missouri Tuesday night.

CBS News Flash Poll (October 17th, 2000):

Who won the second debate?

• Bill Clinton: 44%
  • George W. Bush: 30%
  • Draw: 26%

Last edited:
CANDIDATES ENTER STRETCH RUN
Polls show Clinton with lead, but margin narrow

clinton-460x307.png

President Clinton speaks at a rally in Las Vegas, Nevada.

COULD NADER COST CLINTON ELECTION?
Third party candidate polling as high as 3% in key swing states

nader.jpg

Green Party candidate could hurt Clinton's chances.

NBC News/Wall Street Journal (October 17th-20th):

• George W. Bush: 46%
  • Ralph Nader: 3%
  • Unknown/Other: 3%

Originally, no one in the campaign took Ralph Nader seriously nationally. He wasn't polling at any level and his campaign, while big on college campuses, didn't resonate nearly at the level of Ross Perot in '92 or even '96. However, a troubling trend started forming toward the end of October that caught the attention of the campaign - when you included Nader's name in polls, he garnered 3% and the President's overall support went down. No one had included him in the polls because there wasn't a sense he would garner much support nationally. Well, while three-points doesn't seem like a lot, in a tight election, which this one was turning out to be, it could make all the difference - especially in states like New Hampshire and Florida.

The campaign was slow to realize this development and it put them at a considerable disadvantage as there wasn't much time left until the election. But they knew there was a growing problem and we had to establish some type of counter. Unfortunately, with limited time, the options on the table were very small. So, the campaign decided it would spend a few days rallying around universities in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Colorado in hopes of energizing students. That's when the President flexed his political muscle and got some major talent, including the Red Hot Chili Peppers, to come out and support him. It was a huge get, considering the band was in the middle of their Californication tour - but they squeezed the President in and the rallies brought out thousands and thousands of students. It really was impressive.

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS RALLY WITH CLINTON
Unlikely duo urge students to get out the vote for the President

nm_red_hot_chili_070410_ssh1.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers perform at a rally for President Clinton in Madison, Wisconsin.

PRESIDENT KICKS OFF CAMPUS TOUR
Clinton will roll through Madison, Minneapolis, Iowa City & Denver

large_SPRINGSTEEN100708.jpg

Bruce Springsteen plays for Clinton supporters at a rally in Denver, Colorado.

BUSH FOCUSES ON RALLYING BASE, HITS SUBURBAN DETROIT
The Governor holds a rally in suburban Bloomfield, Michigan

bushpontiactrain.jpg

Bush rallies a crowd on a whistle stop tour outside Detroit, Michigan.

AL GORE RALLIES FOR CLINTON IN TENNESSEE
Though VP isn't on ticket, he's still working for President

gore-wellstone3.jpg

Al Gore greets supporters in a Nashville, Tennessee rally.

NOVEMBER, 2000 - BUSH DUI CHARGES FROM PAST EMERGE
With election only days away, new development could hurt Bush

President+Bush+Looking+Solemn.jpg

Governor Bush might be forced to explain 1976 DUI charge.

BUSH EXPLAINS DUI CHARGE
With 4 days left, does story alter race?

abc_archive_NTBA2784A_mn.jpg

Governor Bush says he's not proud of story.

FINAL BATTLEGROUND POLL: TIGHT
DUI charge might have cost Bush votes in major battle ground states

YouDecide640_20100915091741_640_480.JPG

Polls throughout the country show tight race, but momentum shifting toward President Clinton.

USA Today/Gallup Swing State Polls: (November 3rd-6th, 2000):

Colorado:

• Bill Clinton: 45%

New Mexico:

• Unknown/Other: 5%

Ohio:

Florida:

• George W. Bush: 48%
    Bill Clinton: 47%
    Unknown/Other: 5%

Iowa:

• Unknown/Other: 7%

Michigan:

• George W. Bush: 44%

Pennsylvania

• Bill Clinton: 51%
  • Unknown/Other: 3%

POLLS SHOW CLINTON LEAD
Margin is well within the margin of error, though

phoa00v2.jpg

Clinton smiles during a campaign rally in Cleveland, Ohio.

NBC News/Wall Street Journal Poll (November 3rd-6th, 2000):

• Ralph Nader: 2%

CBS News/New York Times Poll (November 3rd-6th, 2000):

• Bill Clinton: 48%
  • Ralph Nader: 3%

ABC News/Washington Post Poll (November 3rd-6th, 2000):

• Bill Clinton: 48%
  • Ralph Nader: 1%

USA Today/Gallup Poll (November 3rd-6th, 2000):

• George W. Bush: 48%
  • Ralph Nader: 2%
  • Unknown/Other: 1%

MCLAUGHLIN GROUP MAKES ELECTION-EVE PREDICTIONS

250px-McLaughlingrouptitle.JPG

John McLaughlin: In less than two days, Americans will go to the polls in what many consider the most hotly contested election in a generation. Most polls show President Clinton with a narrow lead, as Governor Bush fights back the DUI story. Forced prediction...who wins, Eleanor Clift? Go!

Eleanor Clift: I don't know if anyone can predict with any type of certainty who will win. Most polls show that President Clinton fails to win a majority of support and for an incumbent, that's got to be a problem. His approval ratings, which in the last CBS poll had him at 53%, suggest he should win - but this election is unlike any other we've seen. So, I'm going to out on a ledge: Clinton wins popular vote, loses electoral college.

John McLaughlin: Really? Wouldn't that turn the country upside down? Amazing! Clarence Page - what do you say?

Clarence Page: This is going to be a tight election and will almost certainly come down to a couple states. I think, in the end, the DUI charge will haunt Governor Bush and deliver a third term to President Clinton - though, narrowly.

John McLaughlin: Good golly! So, one for Clinton, one for Bush - where you do you land Rich Lowry? Break the tie!

Rich Lowry: I think Governor Bush is going to win. He weathered the DUI storm well enough, his numbers didn't take near the hit many expected and with him leading in key states like Florida, Ohio and whatnot, the path to 270 for Clinton is very narrow. In fact, I agree with Eleanor - Clinton very well could win the popular vote and lose the electoral college. Regardless, it should be a historic and exciting election night. I'm looking forward to it.​

Last edited:
CLINTON CAMPAIGNS INTO EARLY MORNING HOURS
Campaign stopped in Ohio, Pennsylvania & Florida before ending at a rally in Arkansas at two in the morning

crow600.jpg

Bill Clinton greets Arkansas supporters in the early morning hours of election day - having spent all Monday on the campaign trail.

BUSH CLOSES CAMPAIGN IN FLORIDA - RETURNS TO AUSTIN

mn_bush.jpg

Governor George W. Bush joins his brother, Florida Governor Jeb Bush, at a final rally in St. Petersburg, Fla.

ELECTION MAY PROVE CLOSEST SINCE 1960
In that election, John Kennedy narrowly defeated Vice President Richard Nixon

kennedy-nixon.jpg

Many expect today's election to be the closest in modern American history.

PUNDITS: POPULAR VOTE MEANS LITTLE
Though national polls get airplay, it's the electoral college that counts

blank_map.png

Some political science professors believe one candidate could win popular vote but lose election - as it takes 270 electoral votes to win.

ELECTION DAY 2000

TodayLogo.jpg

Matt Lauer: Good morning and welcome to Today on this election day. I'm Matt Lauer.

Katie Couric: And I'm Katie Couric. After months of campaigning, three presidential debates, one vice presidential debate, countless attack ads, hundreds of rallies and the most expensive presidential election in American history - the people finally go to the polls. Yes, today, throughout this country, America will decide whether or not to give Bill Clinton a historical third term or deliver the presidency to Governor George W. Bush of Texas, who's the son of former president, and opponent Clinton defeated to win the presidency in 1992, George H.W. Bush. No matter who you support, what your thoughts are on the candidates, we hope you'll get out and vote in what many are calling potentially the closest presidential election in American history.

Matt Lauer: It is certainly the closest presidential election that I can remember and in the latest, most recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, President Clinton narrowly leads Governor Bush 49 to 47%. The margin of error is plus-or-minus 2.5, so, as you can see, the President's lead is certainly within that margin of error. Which means tonight's results, the winner of the presidency, will come down to who can get their supporters to the voting booth. In such a tight race, it appears whoever can do that will claim this election.

Following the Clinton campaign this morning, and through this election season, is David Gregory and he joins us right now. Uh, good morning David, how are you?

David Gregory: Matt, good morning. I'm doing well. A lot of us on the campaign trail a bit tired because the President didn't stop campaigning until around two this morning when he arrived here in Little Rock for a rally at the airport, which was attended by about 2,000 people. The President and Mrs. Clinton plan on voting today, but will not stay in Little Rock and instead head back to Washington where they will watch the returns with Senator Landrieu and her family, who, of course, are voting in Louisiana today. This is in stark contrast to four years ago when the President held a massive rally in downtown Little Rock, but of course, that election was well decided by election day, and uh, most expected a victory celebration.

Tonight, with so much uncertainty, and the fact he's running for a, uh, third time, the campaign had decided to not hold a rally and instead will just have a relaxing evening at the White House. We're told the President does plan to speak when the results do come in, but the campaign has said that they are ready for a long night and the potential that we won't know who wins this thing until the early morning hours tomorrow - if not later.

So, the Clintons wrapped up their campaign with a slew of rallies in some important swing states. They started early yesterday in Ohio, with a successful rally that brought out about 20,000 people and then went to a rally in Pennsylvania, where the President spoke in front of about 15,000 people. The campaign wrapped up much of the day in Florida, overlapping actually, with the Bush campaign by only an hour or so in the Orlando area. Clinton campaigned in Orlando early last evening and drew a crowd of about 17,000 - which, I must point out, was about 10,000 less than Bush drew earlier in the day.

But the campaign is confident. They feel they have momentum on their side. They like that the polls, which showed him trailing the entire race, now show him, almost all of them, anyway, ahead - and while they concede the margins are tight, and within the margin of error, campaign officials say they'd rather be up than down. Matt.

Matt Lauer: All right, thank you David. David Gregory in Little Rock following the Clinton campaign. Katie?

Katie Couric: Governor Bush is trying to fight back in this race after losing a great deal of momentum after the Republican Convention. His campaign has struggled the last few weeks, especially last week when there was a revelation that Governor Bush was charged with a DUI back in 1976. Will that play a role in tonight's votes? Is the campaign confident that they can pull this out after leading almost from start? Following the Bush campaign is NBC's Claire Shipman, who is in Austin, Texas this morning. Good morning, Claire.

Claire Shipman: Good morning Katie. We are here in Austin, Texas, though probably not as tired as David Gregory, as the Bushes actually arrived at their residence for the night at a respectable hour. They stopped campaigning at about 11:00 last night and we anticipate the Governor, along with his wife, will be up very early and off to the polls to vote for what they hope is an election that takes them to the White House.

Governor Bush did spend the last day of campaigning in Missouri, Florida, as well as Tennessee. Of course, Tennessee is home to Vice President Al Gore and without him on the ticket, the Bush campaign feels confident they can win it. Gore was there, has been there, campaigning for President Clinton, but polls in the state do show that, though narrowly, Bush leads over the President. Bush also spent the afternoon campaigning in Missouri, St. Louis to be exact, before going off to Florida and then finally returning to Texas where he and Laura Bush retired for the evening.

The Bush campaign is confident. They say their internal polls paint a better picture on the electoral, state level, than what you're getting in the national polls. They're quick to remind the media that this race is not won through the popular vote, rather through the electoral college. So, they seem to be laying the foundation for a possible popular vote loss, but victory in the electoral college.

Of course, with so many states within the margin of error, any result - from a comfortable Bush or Clinton victory in the electoral college, to a very narrow victory for either in the electoral college - wouldn't be that big of a surprise to anyone tonight. They know, they realize, when the polls are this tight, that expectations, predictions, and what not don't necessarily hold much weight.

The Bush campaign has planned a rally, though, here in Austin, Texas. Thousands are expected to watch the returns just outside the Texas capitol building and Governor Bush is expected to give a speech tonight, if, of course, the results allow him to - and obviously that will either be a victory speech or a concession speech.

But here in Texas, the mood is optimistic, though a bit cautious. They feel they have the state votes, but it will come down to voter turnout and there, the Governor's election strategist, Karl Rove, believes they will prevail over the Clinton ground game. I guess we'll find out. Katie.

Last edited:
Election day was chaotic around the Clinton-Landrieu headquarters. The entire staff was either poring over exit polling data, on the phones coordinating get out the vote efforts or trying to get prominent Democrats on the radio and television urging people to vote for the President.

I really don't think anyone anticipated just how hectic things would be in the offices that day. We knew the election was close, so every extra call, every action could ultimately decide who won the race later that night.

Of course, attention was also given to voter fraud and voter irregularities throughout the country. Around noon eastern time, reports started flooding in from the local Florida Democratic offices that the elderly Palm Beach County voters were confused about their ballots - some insisting they accidentally voted for Pat Buchanan instead of the President.

At first, you don't take stuff like that too seriously. There will always be reports of problems in every voting precinct in America. Generally, it's not too big of a problem and rarely has an impact on the overall race. But this was different. We were receiving hundreds of calls from a specific area within only an hour or so. Something was brewing in Florida and it was not going to help our campaign. But there wasn't much you could do until all the chips fell and we knew where we stood. But I remember standing in the campaign office after hearing about these voter problems and telling Michael Whouley that I hoped the election didn't come down to Florida, or we'd lose. He didn't respond, which I took to mean he agreed.

ELECTION NIGHT 2000

abcelectionnight.png

7:00 EST:

Peter Jennings: Good evening everybody and welcome to our election coverage 2000 - ABC 2000. We're back in Times Square where we were for the great worldwide Millennium celebrations. It likes to think of itself as the Crossroads of the World, but the crossroads of the world are everywhere in the country today. All over the country today, millions of people, perhaps well more than a 100 million are out voting today at every level of government in the country - for the president, for the senate, for governor, for the House of Representatives, for any number of direct action referendum and initiatives around the country. And with an enormous team of people all over the country tonight, we're going to try to make it fun, exciting - it is inherently exciting already. And we'll try to make it instructive as well. As I said, people all over the country - this being billed as the polls close before the election as the closest election in a generation and we're going to see in the course of this evening whether in fact it already, or will, live up to its billing.

Now the polls closed about an hour ago in two states, Indiana and Kentucky, but at this hour, both are too close to call. We can not call either state at this time. And now the polls have closed in six more states and we may now have some projections to make based on the information we have at this point.

In the all important state of Florida, it's too close to call. ABC can't make a projection at this hour. Both campaigns have fought hard over this state's 25 electoral votes and at this hour, 7:00 on the east coast, we're not ready to make a call just yet. That is obviously not a surprise to anyone who has been following this state, as the polls indicated it would be close throughout.

In the state of New Hampshire, it is too close to call. In the state of Georgia, it is also too close to call. That's 13 electoral votes that went to the President in 1992, but swung back into the Republican column four years ago. Republicans feel they will win it again this year, but obviously, things are too close to call at the moment in Georgia.

Virginia, which has been a Republican stronghold, at this hour, it's simply too close to call. Bill Clinton couldn't carry this state in either '92 or '96, so many Republicans do believe that the state will continue to remain Republican, but, at this moment, ABC News is not ready to make a projection.

In the state of South Carolina, ABC News can finally make its first projection of the night. George W. Bush has been declared the winner. This is a state the Republicans have done very well in as of late and it remains that way. Clinton couldn't win it in his past two elections and Bob Dole, four years ago, was able to carry the state by a fairly comfortable margin. So Bush gets the first electoral votes of the night - South Carolina's eight.

Obviously South Carolina has been good to Bush. It was what got his primary campaign back on track after a tough loss in New Hampshire and it helps him in the general - delivering him his first victory of the night.

Not to be outdone, President Clinton has picked up Vermont's 3 electoral votes. He's now won this state in all three of his presidential elections. Vermont a state that had been traditionally Republican until Clinton's win in 1992 and it has solidified as a Democratic stronghold, as he now carries this state, his first win of the night.

And we do now have another projection to make. ABC News can project that George Bush will win the state of Indiana. This is a state the Republicans typically win and so, no surprise tonight. Bush picks up Indiana's 12 electoral votes.

So, here's the map as of 7:10 in New York. President Clinton has 3 electoral votes. George W. Bush 20. It's early. It's close. No surprises just yet, so it's important that you don't read too much into that overall total.

I'm joined now by someone who is very familiar with campaigning, specifically for President Clinton, as he was the communications director for Clinton's campaign in 1992. He oversaw, or helped oversee, their electoral landslide victory over another Bush, George W. Bush's father - uh, George, how does this race compare to '92 at this point?

George Stephanopoulos: We had a pretty good sense early that the President was going to do very well. A lot of traditionally Republican states had not been called by the time 7:00 rolled around and the electoral map was increasingly in the President's favor, even very early. I think, from what I remember, the President was well ahead of President Bush by the time he hit double-figures in the electoral college. Obviously, this is the exact opposite for, uh, the uh Clinton campaign because now they're behind, not considerably, but they're behind, and that's something they didn't see in 1996 and 1992. It's foreign to them. This election is rewriting, if you will, the electoral college because for two consecutive elections, the President really wasn't contested at this level. He saw success in the south, he saw success in the north east, and the west. Now, though, the race is tight and the advantages he had the last go around just aren't there.

Peter Jennings: It'll be interesting to see how this race plays out. Certainly it's looking every bit as close as everyone anticipated. So, as we take a break once more, uh, here's the map now at roughly 20 minutes since polls closed in many of these, uh, unannounced states.

genusmap.php

7:30 EST:

Peter Jennings: We have a projection to make. ABC News can now project that Governor George Bush will carry both the states of Kentucky and Virginia. Kentucky is the first state to flip in this election, as it went for Clinton in 1992 and 1996, but it returns back to the Republican category as we can now project, claim, if you will, that Governor Bush will be victorious in that state. Polls had showed him leading, so it's not much of a surprise, as is the same with Virginia. No one really expected the President to win the state of, uh, Virginia.

That means, as of this hour, President Clinton has 3 electoral votes and Governor Bush has 40. So, as you can see, he's jumped out to a fairly decent lead - but, we remind you, it's still very, very early and a lot is expected to happen between now and the time polls close on the west coast.

genusmap.php

Peter Jennings: George, what's the story so far tonight?

George Stephanopoulos: Well Peter, I think the story here is that President Clinton isn't doing nearly as well in the south has he did in his past two elections. That's not a surprise, as polls suggested as much, but the map is kind of adjusting to a mix of pre-1992 and post-1988 for the Democrats and Republicans. Which means inevitably, we are going to have an extremely close election.

Peter Jennings: All right, thank you George. Buckle up, it could be a long night.

Uh polls have closed in Ohio, North Carolina and West Virginia and all three are too close to call at this hour. Two of those states, Ohio and West Virginia, the President won in both his elections. Ohio was expected to be very contested. Polls there showed it almost a perfect tie between the two candidates. West Virginia, which Democrats have carried in three of the last four elections, has leaned Republican for almost this entire race. Expectations, though we don't project anything on expectations, suggest Governor Bush will win - but we want, obviously, to wait until the votes come in before making a decision.

I do have a projection to make now. ABC News is ready to call the state of Georgia for George W. Bush. Not a surprise there, as that state, polls indicated anyway, would go to Bush. It does. Bush picks up its 13 electoral votes. As we go to break, here's the map and you can see now Bush leads with 54 electoral votes to President Clinton's 3.

genusmap.php

8:00 EST:

Peter Jennings: It is now 8:00 on the east coast and this is the biggie hour as polls have closed in 17 states and the District of Columbia. ABC is ready to make some projections and we begin with the President. President Clinton has the won the state of Connecticut. That's the birthplace of George W. Bush, but that's not good enough to deliver the state to the Republican, as Clinton is now declared the winner of its 8 electoral votes. President Clinton has also picked up the state of Delaware. No surprise there. D.C., Democratic stronghold, remains Democratic stronghold. Clinton wins its 3 electoral votes. Illinois will go Clinton. Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, and New Jersey will also go for the President.

Governor Bush has carried his home state of Texas. No surprise there. He's also the winner in Kansas, Mississippi, and Oklahoma. Alabama, Maine, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee at this hour are too close to call.

So, that leaves us with Governor Bush at 107 electoral votes and President Clinton at 91. Of course, all eyes are on Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, which all remain undecided at this hour.

genusmap.php

8:30 EST:

Peter Jennings: The polls in the state of Arkansas, home to Bill Clinton, have closed and the state at this moment - too close to call. ABC can't make a projection in that state as of yet, though the Clinton campaign obviously expecting to carry its own state.

We do have a couple projections to make, though. In the must-win state of Pennsylvania, ABC News is projecting that President Clinton will carry its 23 electoral votes. That's a state the campaign counted on and it's been delivered. Clinton wins Pennsylvania. We can also project that Clinton will win the state of Maine. It's a state the campaign expected to win and they've won it. Maine goes Clinton.

In Alabama, George W. Bush has been declared the winner. Alabama is a traditionally Republican state and that will remain for another election. Bush the winner in Alabama.

We're coming to the 9:00 hour where a number of other states will be called, but first, let's get a look at this race nationally, as ABC News' Lynn Sherr has been tracking the exit polls across the country to get a better idea of the makeup of this year's race.

Lynn?

Lynn Sherr: Thank you, Peter. Anticipation for this race has been pretty high throughout the country, but the voter trends suggest that while turnout is up from four years ago, it's not the record number many expected, or anticipated, with the race being so close. Of course, the biggest question, and something the Clinton campaign has kept its eye on throughout this race, are women voting in higher numbers than men? Did the nomination of Mary Landrieu bring out the female vote, something the campaign had really counted on to deliver them victories in some very contested states?

Well, according to exit polls, Bush won the male vote. That wasn't a surprise, as many predicted that would be the case. The focus, of course, was the margins here and Bush won the male vote with about 51%, so he barely covers a majority of the male vote. The President won about 45% of the male vote, which is probably good news for the Clinton campaign because that's exactly what they wanted. They wanted to keep the margins there respectable, and within single digits, to allow them to swamp Governor Bush with the female vote. So, did they do it?

Well the President carried 53% of the women in our exit polls. That's what they were counting on and it's about the level they saw four years ago. Certainly the Landrieu selection helped solidify those numbers a bit. George Bush carried only 42% of the female vote, so, the gender gap is certainly large. Will it be enough, though? It all depends on which group voted the most.

9:00 EST:

Peter Jennings: It's 9:00 here on what is turning out to be a very close election night and we do have some more results to report. ABC News can now project that the state of North Carolina will go to George W. Bush. I think both campaigns anticipated as much, but it's now official. Bush will carry North Carolina's 14 electoral votes.

Of course, polls have closed in a slew of states and we do have some other projections as well to make. Governor Bush has won the states of Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and the home of his running mate, Dick Cheney, the state of Wyoming. Not a lot of electoral votes there, but obviously every bit helps.

We can also project that President Clinton will win the states of New York and Rhode Island, so, no surprises there as those states typically do go Democratic.

In the states of Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, which is the home state of Mary Landrieu, Minnesota, New Mexico, and Wisconsin, the polls indicate it's still too early to call.

Let's take a look at the map now and see where we stand.

genusmap.php

As you can see, the President now has a lead in the electoral college. It's a narrow lead, but it's his first of the night. Clinton now has 158 electoral votes to Governor Bush's 144.

9:17 EST:

Peter Jennings: ABC News can now project that George Bush will carry the state of Tennessee. This was home to Vice President Al Gore, but the Bush campaign felt they could carry it now that he's not on the ticket and they were right. Bush will win the state's 11 electoral votes.

That gets Bush within three electoral votes of Clinton. You can not get closer in this race than what we have right now. Remarkable.

9:30 EST:

Peter Jennings: We have a major projection to make. ABC News is ready to project the state of Florida for Governor George W. Bush. This is a must-win for the campaign. They needed to win it. They've won it. Now they can celebrate in Austin, as the Bush campaign has carried the very important state of Florida and its 25 electoral votes. ABC News projecting, again, the state of Florida for Governor George Bush. A huge victory that really makes this race winnable for the campaign. Everyone agreed pretty much that without the Sunshine State, Bush just couldn't get it done.

We also can project that President Clinton will win the state of Minnesota. But the story at this hour: George Bush has won Florida.

Let's go to the map and look at the electoral college as it is now with those two states being called:

genusmap.php

Peter Jennings: Terry Moran is following the Clinton campaign and he's outside the White House, he's been in communication with the campaign all night - Terry, what is the mood like now that Florida has gone Bush?

Terry Moran: Well the campaign started feeling Florida was lost based on exit polls that were released earlier in the evening, so I'm sure it comes as no surprise to them. It's a disappointment, they did put a lot of effort into the state, but they also know that the election isn't won or lost there. They believe they have other paths to victory, especially in states like Ohio and even the President's home state of Arkansas. But obviously, they wanted a victory here because it would have made a Bush victory very unlikely, but it never materialized, so, for the campaign, it's on to option number two.

10:00 EST:

Peter Jennings: It is now 10:00 and polls have just closed in the remainder of the Midwest states and the Rocky Mountain region, so we do have some projections to make. Governor Bush has won the states of Idaho and Utah. No surprises there. In the states of Montana, Nevada, Iowa, and Oregon, it's too close, and too early, to call those states.

So, that gives Governor Bush 189 electoral votes and President Clinton remains at 168. Neither anywhere, really, near the 270 needed to claim victory, though obviously Bush is closer than Clinton at this hour.

Which means, we continue to wait on overall results.

Let's take a look now at the states we haven't called.

In Ohio, with 75% of the vote in, there you can see President Clinton trails Governor Bush by roughly 15,000 votes. That's how close it is in Ohio. That's the reason why that state hasn't been called, even though its polls closed toward the beginning of the night. In New Hampshire, the margin is less than 7,500 votes. President Clinton trails Governor Bush there. In Missouri, a state that has proven to be a bellweather, Bush leads by about 75,000 votes. So, his lead there is solid, but still with 20% left of the state uncounted, we're not ready to make a projection. In Arkansas, President Clinton holds a lead of about 60,000 votes. So, the President looking to win his state and so far, he's out ahead of Bush there. In West Virginia, Bush is up by about 30,000 votes there. Finally, in Louisiana, home to Mary Landrieu, Bush does lead by about three percentage points, so, while the race is still tight, the Governor does lead there.

That's where we stand at this hour. We knew this race would be close and that's exactly what we're getting. But so far, no real surprises. Which, for both camps, is both good and bad news.

Back with us is George Stephanopoulos to talk to us about Ohio. George?

George Stephanopoulos: Well, Peter, in the exit polls, the economy was the number one issue. And what's interesting is that while most voters, a solid majority, give President Clinton credit for the economy, not all are voting for him. Those who didn't vote for Clinton and instead voted for Bush did so because of social issues - abortion and gun rights being the two most decisive. So, while the President does remain fairly popular in Ohio, like nationally, it's not necessarily translating into votes. He's definitely not performing as well here as he did in '96.

Peter Jennings: Thank you, George. We have a projection to make. Governor Bush has won the state of New Hampshire. ABC can now call that state hours after its polls closed. So, good news for the Bush campaign as they win New Hampshire's four electoral votes. It doesn't sound like much, but in this close of a race, it's significant.

10:20 EST:

Peter Jennings: ABC is now ready to project that Bill Clinton will carry the state of New Mexico. An important state, one the campaign really worked hard to carry, as they did in '96, and they will in this election. So, that brings the President's electoral vote total to 173, while George Bush's total is at 193.

The race remains very close.

11:00 EST:

Peter Jennings: Polls have now closed on the west coast and ABC is ready to project that Bill Clinton will carry the states of California and Hawaii. California, of course, the big electoral prize and a huge victory for the Clinton campaign. Hawaii is no surprise, as well. The state of Washington joins its neighbor Oregon as too close to call at this hour.

So, with those wins, Clinton has now taken the lead and has 231 electoral votes to Bush's 193. Still, neither at the level needed for the presidency, which is 270.

11:10 EST:

Peter Jennings: Missouri has gone Bush. The bellweather state is a huge victory for the Bush campaign and they hope it continues to keep its record as voting for the winner at the national level. It's a state Clinton won in both '92 and '96, but he can't carry it in 2000.

11:20 EST:

Peter Jennings: ABC can project that Bill Clinton will win the state of Wisconsin, while Bush carries Colorado and Nevada. These are expected victories, but important nonetheless as we now reach the point where every victory puts both candidates closer and closer to the 270 needed to claim victory tonight. Bush in Colorado and Nevada, Clinton in Wisconsin.

George, if you can, map out the victory for both campaigns.

George Stephanopoulos: For Governor Bush, victory goes through Ohio. For President Clinton, he can still win this by taking Louisiana and his home state - but both campaigns need to thread the needle just right to come out on top. It's going to be close and I think we'll have a better indication of who's winning once Ohio comes in. Until then, though, we can only wait and speculate.

11:50 EST:

Peter Jennings: It's 10 minutes before midnight here on the east coast and we are ready to make a call in Arkansas. The President will carry his home state. ABC is projecting Clinton the winner in Arkansas. It's a big win and an important win for the campaign, even if it turns out to be only symbolic. But it does put them now only 22 electoral votes away from reelection. That means if he wins the state of Ohio, coupled with either Washington or Oregon, where he'd led in the polls, he will win. If he can't win Ohio, he would need to win Washington, Oregon and either Iowa, Louisiana, or West Virginia - on those latter three, the President trails.

So, you can see just how small the margin of error is here for both campaigns. And it very well could come down to Ohio.

12:00 EST:

Peter Jennings: Polls are now closed in Alaska and ABC News projects Governor Bush will win that state. We can also project Governor Bush the winner in Arizona, Montana and West Virginia. Bush becomes only the second Republican to win the state in the last 30 or so years, joining Ronald Reagan in 1984.

We can also project Clinton the winner in Washington and Oregon. Those states typically lean Democratic and they will remain Democratic.

So, let's take a look at the map now to just show you how close this election is.

genusmap.php

Peter Jennings: If Clinton can win just one more of the three states we have not called, he will win a third term. That means Governor Bush has to run the table in Iowa, Ohio and Louisiana. The good news right now for the Bush campaign is that they lead in all three. The bad news is that their lead in Ohio is very small and as we've reported earlier tonight, a great deal of the Cleveland area has still not been counted. So, if there is any hope for the President, it's that he could overcome the Bush lead in Ohio with these latest numbers. Right now, he trails by a mere 2,423 votes with about 98% of the state in. That two-percent, which very well could decide this election, is in Cuyahoga County.

It doesn't get much closer than that, folks. Really.

12:20 EST: ABC is ready to call Louisiana for Governor Bush. Mary Landrieu can't deliver her home state, a state Clinton carried twice before tonight. So, Bush now has 244 electoral votes, Clinton 266. That's a difference of only 22 - Ohio has 21. That's the election right there, folks. Bush needs to win both Ohio & Iowa to claim the victory - Clinton just needs one.

But we have to wait because these numbers are close. Very close.

1:00 EST:

Peter Jennings: It is 1:00 now on the east coast and the map remains the same. President Clinton has 266 electoral votes, 4 away from victory, while Governor Bush has 244 - 26 electoral votes away from victory. Iowa, which still has not been called, is about 90% counted and Bush does a hold lead there. He needs to win that state in order to survive. In Ohio, 99% of the vote is in and Bill Clinton holds a narrow 3,421 vote lead. If these numbers hold, if they stand, it's entirely possible, the margin being less than .25%, that an automatic recount will happen. We are actually being told that the Ohio Secretary of State, Ken Blackwell, is going to meet with reporters at roughly 1:30 EST. So, we wait for that. But you can see the total, with 99% of the vote, Clinton's lead is now 5,313 votes - but still remarkably close as this is out of almost five million votes. That's how tight this race is there in Ohio.

1:25 EST:

Peter Jennings: There you, uh, see a press conference that is set up for Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell. He's, uh, expected to speak with the media at any moment on the ongoing vote total in Ohio. We have not projected Ohio because the total is extremely close, but we can tell you this, with nearly 100% of the vote in, President Clinton holds a lead of about 10,000 votes. That's narrow. We don't know if it's, uh, narrow enough to trigger an automatic recount, but we do know that the results are very, very, very close. And I see, uh, I see that Ken Blackwell is now coming up to the podium, so, let's, uh, let's go to Ohio.

513477.jpg

Ken Blackwell: Good morning everyone. I decided to call this press conference because of the very narrow margin we have here in Ohio with the presidential election. I can report that all precincts have reported and we're pretty much at 100%. With the important nature of this election, it's our intent to get it right. We don't want a situation to arise where the American people aren't sure who their president will be. I can say that, going over the raw totals, President Bill Clinton leads Governor George W. Bush with 2,322,502 votes to 2,310,498 votes. That is an overall difference of just 12,004. That's out of 4,801,058 votes cast. President Clinton has a share of 48.37% of the vote. Governor Bush has a share of 48.12%. Because the margin does not exceed .25% of the vote, there will be an automatic recount. So, at this point, it's the decision of the office of the Secretary of State to not declare a winner in the State of Ohio until a recount has taken place.

Understanding the pressure we are working under here and the knowledge that the election may rest in the hands of the voters here in Ohio, we want a timely, and efficient overall vote tally. We anticipate the recount will begin around 8:00 this morning and it shouldn't take but a few hours to get those final results in and hopefully the decision as to who our president will be. I hope you understand that I can't take any questions at this time, though, I will hold another press conference later in the morning when the official tally has been completed.

Thank you.

Peter Jennings: While Ken Blackwell was speaking, we did have a call to make, which is significant and really underscores what Mr. Blackwell was saying. George Bush has won Iowa. This keeps his hopes of the presidency alive. Because of this, it all comes down to Ohio and you heard the numbers there. Clinton holds a lead of 12,004. Which means, ultimately, at about 1:45 here in the morning, we don't have a winner. And we might not have a winner until later today. Certainly this is not unusual, as past elections have gone well into the morning hours. But we have no further news to report. The counting is unofficially done in Ohio and that's where this election lies. So we wait. This is the map as of this morning. President Clinton has 266 electoral votes, Governor Bush has 251 electoral votes. It all comes down to the state of Ohio.

genusmap.php

TOO CLOSE TO CALL!
Election hinges on Ohio recount - Clinton narrowly leads by 12,000 votes

OhioFlag1.jpeg

Last edited:
WHO'S PRESIDENT?
Presidential election still undecided - all eyes on Ohio

timrussertohio.png

Matt Lauer: Good morning and welcome to Today - the day after the 2000 presidential election, I'm Matt Lauer. We knew it would be close. It was close. So close, in fact, we don't have a winner yet at 7:00 in the morning here on the East Coast. But, fingers crossed, there will be a major announcement concerning the election outcome hopefully by mid-day today.

Katie Couric: If you went to bed last night not knowing who your next president would be, well, you're lucky, you didn't miss anything. At around 2:00 a.m. here in New York, NBC officially announced the race too close to call and the decision unknown until a recount in Ohio, which is expected to begin in the next two hours or so, was finalized. That's where this election lies - in the state of Ohio. How close is it in Ohio? Well, President Clinton leads by a narrow 12,004 votes. That's about the population of Amherst, Ohio.

Overall, President Clinton has 266 electoral votes while Governor Bush sits at 251 electoral votes. In the popular vote, the President actually leads nationally there by 48.8% to roughly 47.7% - so, like in Ohio, the national vote reflects just how close this race was and continues to be.

Joining us now to discuss the potential recount effort and what is in store these next few hours is NBC's Tim Russert. Tim, I'm guessing you didn't get much sleep last night?

Tim Russert: That would be a correct statement, Katie. I don't think many in the media, at least those who were covering last night's election, slept much, if any, with how close this race turned out to be. Of course, like you said, it all comes down to Ohio now and the state is expected to begin its recount process there at 8:00 this morning Ohio time. That would be 9:00 here on the East Coast.

What is at stake with this recount is Ohio's 21 electoral votes. The winner in Ohio, the winner of the recount, wins the election. Now, there is a chance either candidate can contest the recount, but obviously that's a bridge we'll have to cross when we get there. First thing first is the recount and if you're the President, you've got to feel semi-confident that in the raw vote, you're up - you lead by a narrow margin, but you lead nonetheless. For Bush, the hope is that there is a significant number of votes out there that can overcome that 12,000 vote margin. It's possible, though, I don't know how likely.

In the end, both campaigns, as I said, can either accept the official recount or contest it. If they contest the recount, it could push this uncertainty well into the week, if not longer. So, obviously, the loser of that recount will have to judge whether or not they feel it's worth extending this process, knowing, of course, that it could ultimately damage them - whether it's President Clinton and his legacy as president, or Governor Bush, who might potentially be a candidate again in four years. Extending this, contesting this, especially if it amounts to you losing in the end, could damage your prospects four years out. But that's obviously an opinion and it will remain the option of the campaigns if they feel fit.

But right now, all eyes are on Ohio as we await that recount and hopefully a victory announcement from either Governor Bush or President Clinton. I should point out, though I don't know how big of an impact this would prove to be, but Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell is a Republican and an honorary co-chair of the Bush campaign. Whether that proves to be a conflict of interest remains to be seen, but it's an interesting development and probably will give the Clinton campaign a bit of heartburn in the coming hours. Though, I would think that, if the results do favor the President, having him as a Republican, a supporter of Bush, might make this process less contentious than it could be if a Democrat were to announce, uh, the recount results. Back to you, Katie and Matt - maybe I'll go take a nap in the Conan studios before any more developments force me back.

Matt Lauer: The Conan studios being the number one napping area for everyone here at NBC. Thank you, Tim.

David Gregory joins us now from outside the White House. He's been covering the Clinton campaign. Uh, David, what's their sense? Are they optimistic?

David Gregory: Matt, I've talked with some high level members of the Clinton campaign and they believe the President has won this election. They understand laws of Ohio and have no problem with a recount, but in the end, when it's all been said and done, they believe, uh, the recount will show that he's carried Ohio's 21 electoral votes and, with that, the Presidency. I asked them if they were confident enough to start planning a third term. The response I got was, as expected, they didn't want to put the cart before the horse. But from what I can gather at the White House, the mood is pretty confident that, by the end of the day, they will be victorious. They've been in contact with Ohio officials, many members of the Democratic Party there, they've seen the maps, they've gone over the numbers, and to them, a recount should yield enough votes to defeat Governor Bush. But of course, we will have to wait and see until the official recount is finished later today.

Back to you guys in New York.

Katie Couric: Thank you, David. Following the Bush campaign in Austin, Texas is Claire Shipman. Uh, Claire, what's the mood in Austin right now? Not many people remain at the Bush-Cheney victory rally, it appears.

Claire Shipman: You're right, Katie. This lot behind me, which held thousands of Bush supporters last night, started emptying around 1:00 this morning Texas time when it became apparent there would be no decision for a few, if not more, hours. I've tried talking to the campaign, but they've gone completely quiet. They sequestered themselves at the main campaign quarters here, uh, no one from the campaign has come out to speak to any of us. But I have spoken with prominent Republicans here who, though not wanting to be named, fully expect that President Clinton will, uh, win the recount and defeat George Bush in the electoral college. So, while the campaign is probably trying to remain as upbeat as possible. Republicans, supporters of Bush, have, uh, have lost that confidence. They think it will be very difficult for Bush to overcome that 12,000 vote total in Ohio, though, they said they're not fully giving up on the prospects, even if they don't believe it will happen.

We'll keep trying to get any word from the campaign, but we don't anticipate anything until the recount is official. The last time we actually heard from the campaign was roughly 30 minutes after Ken Blackwell spoke earlier this morning announcing the recount and they told us flat out that they would not have any more reports until that recount took place and they've, uh, stuck to that, as, uh, as I've said, they have not released any statements, or even presented us the Governor to ask any questions. They're playing this very close to the vest, obviously going over every option that is in front of them, especially the ones that deal with losing this forthcoming recount.

OHIO RECOUNT BEGINS
With urgent uncertainty, process expected to be timely

tds_ken_blackwell_v6.jpg

Ken Blackwell: Good morning, everyone. I just wanted to report briefly that the recount has begun and because of the nature of this race, the fact the presidency officially hinges on the results here, we have decided to take an immediate and prompt recount that we believe will prove accurate and final. This is obviously a situation that can't be drawn out and shouldn't be drawn out. So, the recount is expected to be as quick and efficiently done as possible. The hope is, that by mid-afternoon, we will have an announcement to make. I will not take any questions, but I will speak with you guys once again when the final results are in and we're ready to, uh, make that announcement. Thank you.

BREAKING NEWS: OHIO RECOUNT COMPLETE
Ohio recount will decide presidential election

CBS_News.jpg

Dan Rather: Good afternoon. We have a decision in Ohio. CBS News has learned that within minutes, Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell will be delivering the news as to who won the Ohio recount. The recount began about five hours ago and the process, which in some instances can take days, was expedited so that we could have a decision a little less than 24 hours after the polls originally closed in the state.

If you've not been following, President Clinton leads in Ohio by a very narrow 12,004 votes. That's the raw total before the recount, before the final decision is made. And when I say final, I mean today - as the loser certainly has the right to contest this election. But we have been informed by both campaigns, though, this is obviously not set in stone, that they will support the final decision, regardless of the outcome. That means in moments, when Mr. Blackwell comes to that podium you see right there on your screen, we could know who our next president will be. It does appear they're ready to go. So, we go live to Ohio for this major announcement.

1099485586_8336.jpg

Ken Blackwell: Thank you everyone. I would like to first start by thanking everyone involved in this recount process. I think we have shown the country that even when elections are close, and the outcome significant, we can get things done here in Ohio. It was an important moment for our state and I hope that the way we've handled ourselves, and this recount, will prove positive and really a template for other states shall a situation like this arise in the future.

I can report that the recount has been successfully completed and the results official. In the final recount of the entire state of Ohio, President Bill Clinton received 2,322,601 votes. Governor George W. Bush received 2,310,506 votes. That is a margin of 12,095 votes in favor of the President. Therefore, it is the decision of this office to declare President Bill Clinton the winner of Ohio's 21 electoral votes. Because this is such a contested decision, we understand there is the potential of litigation that may be issued by either campaign because of these results. Until such a deceleration has been made by either Governor Bush's campaign or the Clinton campaign, we will go ahead and finalize these results and officially certify them.

I will answer only a few questions. Obviously this situation is fluid and my time stretched a bit thin.

So, uh, questions, but, uh, please understand that I won't be able to answer all of them.

Reporter #1: Did you contact both campaigns prior to your press conference?

Ken Blackwell: Yes. I called both Governor Bush and President Clinton telling them our final totals just prior to coming out and doing this press conference.

Reporter #2: Did Governor Bush give any indication that he would concede?

Ken Blackwell: I can't answer that.

Reporter #3: Did Governor Bush accept the results?

Ken Blackwell: I believe so. Yes.

Reporter #4: What did he say?

Ken Blackwell: Uh, "Thanks, Ken."

[laughter]

Reporter #5: Do you believe the Bush campaign will contest this election?

Ken Blackwell: I honestly can't answer that. All right, guys. I've got to go. Thank you for the questions.

Dan Rather: Bill Clinton has won the Ohio recount. You heard it there. You saw the breaking news splash across your screen. If these results hold, President Bill Clinton will have secured a historic third term. Right now, we await, uh, the Bush campaign's decision - whether they will concede or contest. We expect, I would think, that decision to come shortly. But for now, unofficially, Bill Clinton has been reelected President of the United States.

CLINTON WINS HISTORIC THIRD TERM
Governor Bush concedes election - Clinton to speak to nation tonight

William-Clinton.jpg