A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

Driftless

Donor
The Norwegians have held onto the northern half of their country and have played a role in keeping Narvik open for moving some of the Swedish iron ore to the Allies and away from the Germans. Plus the contributions of the Norwegian Navy and the merchant fleet, as in OTL.

I wonder what an Allied-contribution list looks like in the minds of the people of TTL. Obviously France and then Britain (depending on how the Ruhr shakes out the British still might make 1st), but who's third? Seems to me the Netherlands, Canada, and possibly Poland will have a decent claim.
In manpower terms, India and then Algeria. Canada is contributing rather fewer men than OTL, Poland's main role is as a victim, and the Dutch really aren't doing very much fighting.

In manpower terms, India and then Algeria. Canada is contributing rather fewer men than OTL, Poland's main role is as a victim, and the Dutch really aren't doing very much fighting.
Algeria is France, though. I suppose India makes sense as a big contributor though.

Seems to me there should be at least 4 Polish divisions on the line, with the French army ATL, after all that many had already been organised by June 1940. Also it's much easier to escape Poland through Romania ATL and the government in exile will be able to recruit from the Polish immigrant population in France.

At the moment the Entente are aiming to pocket just the Ruhr, driven as much as anything else by the fact that the Germans seem to surrender quite easily when cut off at the moment.

Very much so. The Belgian army has essentially been reduced to a Gendarmerie force and is being used as such (having been essentially destroyed twice). The Dutch army can still fight, once - but after that it's unlikely to be good for anything else since the Dutch can't really afford to replace casualties.

• KV1 is still in production, but has the same problem as OTL (slightly worse actually) - the T-34M can do everything it can do, better and cheaper.
  • Germany - the VK20 series of tanks are close to being ready to put into production, with the Daimler design (derived from the Panzer III) being favoured. It's all a bit like the deckchairs on the Titanic though - none of them will see service before the end of the war. The biggest recent change is that Panzer IIIs are starting to come out in small numbers with the 5cm Pak 38 gun as main armament, but ultimately the Panzer forces have been so badly mauled already that it won't make any difference.
  • Char B40 has been cancelled - French tank doctrine has changed the most of the major powers and they're thinking more in terms of smaller tanks like the S-35.
  • AMX40 is unlikely ever to go into production - it's very cramped and complicated, while not offering very much that the S-35 doesn't. SARL-42 (well, a close relative) is already in service as the Somua S-40.
  • Italy is slowly making progress with the Carro Armato P40 - the Liberty engine is considered to have solved the engine problem, but there are about a million other ones to resolve and there isn't a war on so progress is positively glacial.
  • Hungary are building only the Toldi, and they're working on a project to up-gun it from 20mm to 40mm.
  • Crusader has been in service for about a year now, roughly in the OTL Mark III (6pdr) configuration from the start. There is some work being done on the A24, but it isn't a high priority for resources and frankly the Black Prince looks like being as quick cross-country while being vastly more capable.
Thank you for the update. I am sad to hear that the Char B40 was cancelled but considering the change in doctrine it makes sense
I am wondering have the German VK 30 heavy tanks been cancelled, will the Russians ever bother on working on an early IS tank and will we might see the possibility of an early Conqueror/ Caernarvon

Last edited:
Algeria is France, though. I suppose India makes sense as a big contributor though.
Currently Algeria is an indissoluble part of France - the Indigenat codes are changing though (at least for servicemen and their immediate families), and the Pieds Noirs are not the ones doing most of the fighting and dying.

Seems to me there should be at least 4 Polish divisions on the line, with the French army ATL, after all that many had already been organised by June 1940. Also it's much easier to escape Poland through Romania ATL and the government in exile will be able to recruit from the Polish immigrant population in France.
There are. The Indian contribution is still bigger - two Corps already, and rapidly expanding.

I am wondering have the German VK 30 heavy tanks been cancelled, will the Russians ever bother on working on an early IS tank and will we might see the possibility of an early Conqueror/ Caernarvon
VK30 series is dead thanks to the fiasco of the Neubaufahrzeug - and having only really met Matildas and their French equivalents the desire for a heavy tank won't be nearly as strong. The Soviets will still be working on heavy tanks - essentially the next version of the KV-series - so you'll probably see something rather like the IS-series eventually, although without combat experience it won't be nearly as effective. Whether or not Entente heavy tanks ever exist is too much of a spoiler for the postwar world, so I don't want to go into it.

Ian_W

Banned
21st October 1941

While Ritchie's men are relatively unaffected by this disruption since they don't share roads with the rest of the advancing forces, Wavell, Alexander and Auchinleck are trying to advance along the same set of roads and Brooke is only able to supply enough fuel and ammunition to keep one of them moving forwards. In a decision which will cause endless hostility in postwar memoirs, Brooke gives the nod to Alexander, telling Wavell and Auchinleck that their supplies are going to be cut back to the bare minimum and that they should hold in place.

Under pressure from Brooke to justify getting the lion's share of supplies, 2nd Army pushes forwards hard. Wesel is bypassed and surrounded, and then force a rapid assault crossing of the Lippe before seizing the Friedrichsfeld locks to give themselves a bridgehead over the Wesel-Datteln canal which they rapidly reinforce. While fighting inside Wesel against the a scratch force of SS and Volkssturm is likely to go on for some time (thus blocking the roads), the leading troops report that they are facing very limited resistance.

Is Ritchie's Third Army advancing at about the same pace as Alexander's Second ?

If they are, then Lindemann's now-much-lighter forces might have trouble getting to the Ruhr, because they will need to conduct a running fight with Ritchie's men to do this.

Doesn't the Matilda II have enough armour to make the Germans consider the VK30 project? Does the VK20 have the long 75mm, or was the long 50mm adequate for Matildas and Somuas?

Poland's main role is as a victim

In @ Poland provided IIRC the fourth largest military contribution to the Allies. In TTL since France did not fall the Free Polish Army will have stayed in France and will be under French command. The soldiers of 'Ander's Army' will remain in Soviet Gulags and we'll likely not ever hear from them again any time soon. We may also not hear about Katyn any time soon.

Doesn't the Matilda II have enough armour to make the Germans consider the VK30 project? Does the VK20 have the long 75mm, or was the long 50mm adequate for Matildas and Somuas?
Maximum thickness on a Matilda II was 78mm - the PAK 38 would penetrate that out to 500m with AP and APC, or almost 1000m with APCR. It'll penetrate an S35 out to 1,500m with any of those shot types.
There is another issue here - tanks are horribly expensive compared to AT guns. The Panzers have been very badly mauled, and badly need the numbers of replacements - so they'll stick with existing designs and use AT guns to deal with the Matildas.

In @ Poland provided IIRC the fourth largest military contribution to the Allies. In TTL since France did not fall the Free Polish Army will have stayed in France and will be under French command. The soldiers of 'Ander's Army' will remain in Soviet Gulags and we'll likely not ever hear from them again any time soon. We may also not hear about Katyn any time soon.
That isn't a denigration of the fighting the Poles are doing, but a recognition of just how much it sucks to live in Poland at the moment. Operation Reinhardt has started a year earlier than in OTL, while the Catholic Church has been rather more open in it's opposition to the Nazis. In OTL by 1945 the Germans had killed > 5 million Poles, slightly more than half of them Jewish. ITTL, because the Germans only really have occupied Poland and Czechoslovakia to ravage rather than most of the continent, they'll be a long way ahead of where they were in OTL. That means I'm anticipating total Polish casualties being more or less what they were in OTL: compared to that, the exploits of 4 divisions - no matter how hard they fight - will never be thought of as more than a footnote in history.

That isn't a denigration of the fighting the Poles are doing, but a recognition of just how much it sucks to live in Poland at the moment.

I certainly did not see it as such. Interestingly Poland was the only occupied country where the Nazis felt it necessary to make it a capital offence to hide Jews.

IITL Poland will be busily being ravaged by both the Germans and Soviets. The difference will be of deegrees of awfulness.

Post-war the biggest change to @ will be that the UK will not have a significant Polish community while France probably will. That will fit with Franco-Polish pre-war relations.

I certainly did not see it as such. Interestingly Poland was the only occupied country where the Nazis felt it necessary to make it a capital offence to hide Jews.

IITL Poland will be busily being ravaged by both the Germans and Soviets. The difference will be of deegrees of awfulness.

Post-war the biggest change to @ will be that the UK will not have a significant Polish community while France probably will. That will fit with Franco-Polish pre-war relations.
I wonder - there's a decent chance that at least part of Poland will be liberated here, which means that any Polish expatriate community is likely to be significantly smaller as they'd have a Poland that wasn't a communist dictatorship to return to.

I wonder - there's a decent chance that at least part of Poland will be liberated here, which means that any Polish expatriate community is likely to be significantly smaller as they'd have a Poland that wasn't a communist dictatorship to return to.

Depending on when or if the Soviets decide that they have a chance to move against the Nazis, the border will either be something like the Molotov-Ribbentrop line or possibly even on the Vistula...

teg

Depending on when or if the Soviets decide that they have a chance to move against the Nazis, the border will either be something like the Molotov-Ribbentrop line or possibly even on the Vistula...

teg
Sad to say...

It isn't a real world war if Poland doesn't end up further west.

MrP

Banned
Has there been a TL with a Polish partition between a Western-aligned and a Soviet-aligned halves?

Ryan

Donor
Has there been a TL with a Polish partition between a Western-aligned and a Soviet-aligned halves?

Not that I can think of. It seems to be one of those ideas that is discussed or has maps made of it, but doesn't have a TL written about it.

Not that I can think of. It seems to be one of those ideas that is discussed or has maps made of it, but doesn't have a TL written about it.
Personally, I think Germany will still end up divided, between some SSR in East Prussia, and the rest of Germany, minus some bits in the east and south Germany. Poland will also end up divided between the Polish SSR, and a small Rump Second Republic around Posen.

There was the Valkyrie Successful TL several years back, which had a rather...idealistic view of how a post-Hitler Nazi Germany would pan out (the old "surrender to the WAllies, screw the Soviets" move, with all the Germany-wank that that entails). I mapped it with a somewhat more cynical view as to how well West Poland would take being expected to get on well with a strong Germany which had been cheerfully genociding them within living memory.

I wonder if anyone in Allied high command is remotely open to the idea of splitting off Flanders as a Dutch-supported state, or if that's too 19th-century thinking of me - but Belgium has failed twice now to really hold out, while the Dutch (the one time they had to) succeeded.
I rather suspect that's too 19th century for any of the Allied nations to try to "save" Belgium from itself. They might not oppose a grassroots movement to split off but I don't see them trying to impose such a solution on Belgium (especially a Belgium that fought all the way through without capitulating).

I rather suspect that's too 19th century for any of the Allied nations to try to "save" Belgium from itself. They might not oppose a grassroots movement to split off but I don't see them trying to impose such a solution on Belgium (especially a Belgium that fought all the way through without capitulating).
Well, there is still this TL's equivalent of the Belgian Royal Question to be worked through. Which could of course go horribly wrong...