A Blank Map Thread

A map o' Europe with no borders:

blank europe.PNG

One blankish grey version with shadows for Hendryk...

And now I'm gonna look for webspace to host them more permanently. I don't want to continue posting new versions of these maps every other page.

WeltkarteSchatten.png

imageshack man, imageshack. I haven't had one map I've posted (even over a year ago) disappear using that site.
Yeah, but then I'd have to constantly upload different versions of this map as well. I'm looking for something where I just have to upload a new version and be done with it. I guess I will throw some hasty html together and use my ancient Netfirms account (which does not seem to like hotlinking).

Normally that would be a great world map, but it bugs me that it's kind of, how do you say, rounded and curvy?
I dunno, that's what I like about this map.

That looks a lot more professional than the grey ones from Wiki.
Ironically, those colors are from another Wiki base map.

I don't really like it either, but Wiki uses it...
And it's in the public domain. That's a big plus in my book.

Here is a blank map with historical regions. They do not represent provinces, but regions in history not from any specific time.

Blank map Territories png.PNG

Hey, what do you guys use to make and edit your maps?
I use MS paint, but it can be tedious at times, is there another programme that you use? Is it downloadable?

I use MS paint, but it can be tedious at times, is there another programme that you use? Is it downloadable?

MS Paint all the way. I know some people use GIMP, which is free to download IIRC, and others use Adobe Photoshop, which is not free (although there may be a downloadable demo version).

can you guys explain how to make a map because I want to try to do my own map.

First find yourself a blank map that you wish to use. The blank map thread has lots of them.

Second open said map into your preferred program (MS Paint, Photoshop). I'd recommend MS Paint as it is what I use. Then save this file as something other than your blank map (just in case you mess up and want to restart you don't have to go looking for the blank again...judicious use of file management would say keep your blanks in a separate file from your other maps.

Third begin messing around drawing lines, etc. Get to know how to use MS Paint (or your program of choice) for example how to use the erase tool to both erase stuff but also fill it in (hint use the right mouse button).

Fourth once you are familiar with the program you should be well on your way with making maps.

Hope that helps,

SK

I use Photoshop. I used to use Paint, but I find Photoshop really speeds things up when you get a feel for it. Also, Paint can't Undo as much as Photoshop, and I use Undo very liberally ;)

Lord Sander,