A Blank Map Thread

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
Since I've been unable to find any blank Azimuthal projection maps that I like, I decided to take one I did like (but, regrettably, was a modified photo) and trace it out. This isn't an exact copy - I purposely used thicker borders to make the outlines less detailed, I modified Australia (which was bigger than Africa in the original), and left out Antarctica.

Azimuthal Map.png

Azimuthal Map.png

As Shared Worlds (which I play in) is always using the world base map with rivers on it, I badly needed to fix the rivers it showed, which were wrong in many places. In addition, some rivers I thought were useless. While there may be some distortion in the Siberian rivers, they are far more correct than on the original map.
I invite all to use it and fix it if need be. To get a blank map, use the bucket tool in Paint.Net, or eraser tool in MS Paint and erase the red. To get it in the light green, do the same thing to the white.
WorldBaseMapCW.png

WorldBaseMapCW.png

It's a shame,some of these are good..but it's hard to find what you might need. These should be re-organized or something like that.

Last edited:
KingByng,
Great base map of China showing prefectures, however you only have six prefectures in Qinghai province, there is actually eight prefectures there, and also you are missing one of the sub-prefectural cities in Xinjiang Autonomous Region. The missing sub-prefectural city is Tumxuk City in the northeast corner of Kashgar prefecture. Also Kuytun City in Ili-Kazakh Autonomous prefecture is also missing. I can go ahead and fix it for you, if you are too busy to do it.

Hey Qaz, I'd like to make a suggestion.

Once you've finished the rivers BAM, if you're looking for a new project, might I suggest doing some maps showing major historical territorial changes, like the borders of the German Empire, Weimar Republic and modern Germany overlayed or the borders of the old AH Empire.

And before anyone asks, no I don't need them myself, I already have a German Empire border and Weimar Republic border for the BAM map I've done myself, just a suggestion is all.

Oh thank you Qazaq. I think there may have been some issues with the base map I used, though for all I know it may just be my own mistakes. :eek:

Hey Qaz, I'd like to make a suggestion.

Once you've finished the rivers BAM, if you're looking for a new project, might I suggest doing some maps showing major historical territorial changes, like the borders of the German Empire, Weimar Republic and modern Germany overlayed or the borders of the old AH Empire.

And before anyone asks, no I don't need them myself, I already have a German Empire border and Weimar Republic border for the BAM map I've done myself, just a suggestion is all.
I am currently juggling several different map projects at this time, some personal, including the World BAM w/ rivers, but I will keep that idea in consideration for the future if there is still a demand for it.

I am currently juggling several different map projects at this time, some personal, including the World BAM w/ rivers, but I will keep that idea in consideration for the future if there is still a demand for it.

Like I said, just a suggestion is all. :)

I don't suppose their will be a great amount of demand for it for probably a year, since the BAM map is relatively new, and most people who
use it seem to either use it for maps which result in more or less the same border result post-WW2 or far enough back in history that borders
are more elastic.

Oh thank you Qazaq. I think there may have been some issues with the base map I used, though for all I know it may just be my own mistakes. :eek:
You are more than welcome.:) I have also noticed a few other omissions, so I will need to go over this map again w/ a fine tooth comb and fix anything else that needs fixing. You may want to check out www.guang.net, for there are some really great accurate detailed maps of all the autonomous regions and provinces showing prefectures and counties. The website is in Chinese so you will need to use Google's translation feature to translate the web pages, and once you have done that, on the front page of the site, click on map search, and it will direct you to a page listing maps. Click on any of the items in the list, and it will direct you to a map of a particular province you may be interested in viewing. The maps themselves are in Chinese, unfortunately the Google translation feature will not work on them, for the maps are scanned images. The scans are very clear and in high res, so you will have no trouble in seeing the boundaries drawn on them.

Like I said, just a suggestion is all. :)

I don't suppose their will be a great amount of demand for it for probably a year, since the BAM map is relatively new, and most people who
use it seem to either use it for maps which result in more or less the same border result post-WW2 or far enough back in history that borders
are more elastic.
I hear, erm I mean, I read you.:D I am the one who started getting others to use the World BAM about a couple years back, it is a much better base map than that little one that most members use. What really gets me are people who try to draw OTL and ATL historical maps using borders that were not drawn up until way after the time that the map is supposed to represent. Another are those that draw ATL maps w/ a POD in the distant past that yet show alot of convergent OTL borders.

Could someone place some major rivers please. Especially any that are in Africa.
Edit: Forgot map, fixed. Also could you fix the color of antartica to match the continents?

Timeline 16.png

Last edited:
Diamond Worlda Base Map 2 w. Mountains, Deserts

Could someone place some major rivers please. Especially any that are in Africa.
Edit: Forgot map, fixed. Also could you fix the color of antartica to match the continents?

Nice to see my last basemap getting some use - it's a .png, so recolouring Antarctica is fairly trivial. If you're using MSPaint, just fill a blank image with the continent colour and copy-paste the map with the Antarctic-colour set as transparent (right-click dropper, transparent setting whilst pasting). I'd definitely be interested in seeing anyone's efforts with regard to adding rivers, etc.

Here's a little something I whipped up for the standard UCS basemap - it's Base Map 2 (with rivers) plus mountain ranges and subtropical and cold deserts. Potentially useful for generating plausible borders, although it probably needs some work.

Base Map 2 Detailed copy.png

LMDM Basemap

Looseheadprop asked for this after I posted the LMDM map but I forgot to post it up at the time - it's designed to be overlaid over this satellite image. It's larger and more detailed than the 'Irish Empire' basemap - unfortunately, the definition for the Arctic ice is part of my borders and so isn't present on the basemap - similarly the source image didn't have an Antarctic landmass, which I thought worked well on the previous map.