A Better Rifle at Halloween

Orry

Donor
Monthly Donor
The interesting thing is if he survives how this will change him. From a nightmare royal to a hero possibly?

How many people are assigned to ensure he is not taken captive but instead dies in a heroic fashion if needed???

The interesting thing is if he survives how this will change him. From a nightmare royal to a hero possibly?
Well he is already displaying his headstrong character. I don’t know if he will survive the odds are against him. I take the sword from Montgomery’s memoir. A pistol in a fight in a house would be no worse and probably better than a bayoneted rifle. Over 15 yards rifle every time but inside 15 yards more of a question. The prince was small and fairly slight so I can’t realistically give him a mars automatic pistol, I thought about him having a Luger as a gift from the Kaiser but perhaps not. I think he will have a webley automatic, not sure if the second pistol will be the same model or something smaller. More of a backup gun, perhaps a ruby.

The sergeant should be able to find away to have the sword be misplaced. Have it sent to be sharpened and it doesn't get back in time is one way that could happen. Also given the experience that the NCO's had, they could bring up the fact that he might have to shoot at a longer range than the pistol has and get him to bring a rifle along.

Well he is already displaying his headstrong character. I don’t know if he will survive the odds are against him. I take the sword from Montgomery’s memoir. A pistol in a fight in a house would be no worse and probably better than a bayoneted rifle. Over 15 yards rifle every time but inside 15 yards more of a question. The prince was small and fairly slight so I can’t realistically give him a mars automatic pistol, I thought about him having a Luger as a gift from the Kaiser but perhaps not. I think he will have a webley automatic, not sure if the second pistol will be the same model or something smaller. More of a backup gun, perhaps a ruby.
He'd be more likely to have an actual FN Browning automatic for a back-up pistol than a Ruby. He IS the Prince of Wales after all. Since British officers could buy their own pistols, as long as they were of an official pistol cartridge calibre, HRH Prince Edward could even have something a little exotic for his side-arm, perhaps a Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver, or a Savage 1907 in either .380 ACP or a custom .455 Webley Automatic .

He'd be more likely to have an actual FN Browning automatic for a back-up pistol than a Ruby. He IS the Prince of Wales after all. Since British officers could buy their own pistols, as long as they were of an official pistol cartridge calibre, HRH Prince Edward could even have something a little exotic for his side-arm, perhaps a Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver, or a Savage 1907 in either .380 ACP or a custom .455 Webley Automatic .
Yes, the Prince will feature again, we shall see what becomes of him. I may not actually give him a backup pistol, I have another idea in mine, I have just come across an early war photograph of him that has given me an idea.

tweet1_1.jpg

A photograph I found today in the Royal Archives of the Prince of Wales with the Guards.

What if the German bring Elephants to the battlefield?
They can't. African elephants cannot be domesticated. All domesticated elephants are Asian.

The Imperial Indian Army used elephants to move large field guns, but not in battle. Elephants really don't like gunfire, and one can't really stop an elephant from running away.

Ramontxo

Donor
They can't. African elephants cannot be domesticated. All domesticated elephants are Asian.

The Imperial Indian Army used elephants to move large field guns, but not in battle. Elephants really don't like gunfire, and one can't really stop an elephant from running away.
I was going to joke saying that I mean Dr Porche Elefants but it is the wrong war. I suspect that little toy has quite a bit of stopping power

Yes but the elephants don’t work after that.
As cool as it would be I don’t think we will have elephants towing 9.2” howitzers in Belgium. But perhaps you could train one as an ammunition handler. If the Russians had a bear perhaps the Indian army corps could have an elephant.

I do think the Germans will initiate an emergency refit of their existing C-96's will fixed longer stocks. With a new model that uses detachable box magazines, a longer barrel and the full-length stock.
Given Mausers inability to design a full rifle OTL I don't think he will in TTL so a C-96 carbine will be the best Germany can unless they just copy the FH.

I do think the Germans will initiate an emergency refit of their existing C-96's will fixed longer stocks. With a new model that uses detachable box magazines, a longer barrel and the full-length stock.
Given Mausers inability to design a full rifle OTL I don't think he will in TTL so a C-96 carbine will be the best Germany can unless they just copy the FH.
Unfortunately for the Germans they are likely to be further behind the technology development curve ITL as they will be being pressed harder on all fronts. that said something like the 15/08 will be developed as the pressures for it will increase. One problem they will face is they won't learn any useful lessons from the Battle of Brussels whilst it will definitely impact how the British think about infantry combat.