2018 Turtledoves - Best Cold War to Contemporary Timeline Poll FINAL

Which is the best Cold War to Contemporary Timeline:

• No Southern Strategy: The Political Ramifications of an Alternate 1964 Election; Gonzo and Nofix

Votes: 123 34.6%
  • New Deal Coalition Retained: A Sixth Party Systen Wikibox Timeline; The Congressman

Votes: 96 27.0%
  • Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond; President_Lincoln

Votes: 72 20.3%
  • TLIAW: Presidential; Callan

Votes: 100 28.2%
  • Massively Multiplayer : Gaming in the New Millenium; RySenkari and Nivek

Votes: 63 17.7%
  • The Third Coming of Nixon; Apocatequil

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • Protect and Survive Miami: End of Watch; wolverinethad

Votes: 26 7.3%
  • The Way the Wind Blows The Collapse of Western Civilization; Maponus

Votes: 33 9.3%
  • The World Turned Upside Down: A US Election TL; Seleucus

Votes: 101 28.5%
  • Lazarus, Icarus, and Canadian Politics: An Infobox Timeline; CanadianTory

Votes: 81 22.8%
  • Who will speak for England; BrotherSideways

Votes: 50 14.1%
  • TLIAD: If You Want To Know Where You Are; Uhura's Mazda

Votes: 53 14.9%
  • I Have Never Been a Quitter: the Impeachment of Richard Nixon; dartingfog

Votes: 41 11.5%
  • Españoles en Vietnam: Franco's last war; Kurt_Steiner

Votes: 46 13.0%
  • Prussia - A Kaliningrad Story (Post WWII USSR Timeline); Remitonov

Votes: 27 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy

Banned
wxJcICE.gif

Although not in this particular thread, obviously. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
For reasons that still remain unclear to me, I read through this thread.

If one is going to use "butterflies" to explain a major change down the line, one doesn't get to just say: "Butterflies". That's lazy writing, and insulting to the reader. The butterfly steps have to be shown.

In my TL, The Death of Lt Arthur Windsor (which obviously wasn't that good, because it never even received a mention of a nomination, so treat my comments with as big a pinch of salt as you care to use), there were a lot of butterflies. For example, a no-confidence vote that OTL was a close victory for the Callaghan government was a close defeat. This lead to a 1976 General Election, which led to a Tory victory, and Thatcher becoming PM in 1976 rather than 1979. I tried as best I could to keep people acting in what I saw as their character, with reference to the changing situation around them.

I'm a professional writer. It's what pays the bills. It's my view that butterflies need to be explained. For example, in OTL, the 1976 Peace Marches in Northern Ireland (mostly) gained a lot of publicity, but eventually fizzled out, and the result was that the violence continued for another 20 years. Here, the different pressures resulted in something that wasn't exactly peace, but wasn't actually two sides with multiple factions blowing up Mothercare shops and back-street murders for "The Cause". I could have just announced by authorial fiat that the Peace Movement achieved something; it felt more satisfying (to me, at any rate) to show the development.

That said, the views of people who wrote TLs that actually got nominated undoubtedly carry more weight than mine.

YMI0fdg.jpg

Stefon said:
AH.com's hottest timeline is: UPSIDE DOWN.

Situated in the scum of villainry that is CHAT, this timeline has everything: Kaine-Warren sex tape, faithless electors, Trump denouncing nazis, a divided Turkey, death of Pepe, Jedis for Rubio, a third party, Putin and Trump breakup, Trump Second Amendment Special

Trump Second Amendment Special? You know that phrase shooting yourself in the foot? Well, Trump does that.

TmQ9wxG.jpg

Stefon said:
All right, all right

AH.com's hottest timeline is: PRESIDENTIAL.

Written in an unusual format of articles about presidential speeches, this timeline has everything:
underground White House cancer ward, Jim Webb in the White House, Old Man McCain nearly causing a war, a black Texan president, a catfight debate, Weiner Special.

Weiner Special? You know that thing when the president of United States sends you pictures of his dong?

Congrats to No Southern Strategy on its victory!

Considering that half of my readers are in another website altogether, 2nd place is a lot better than I was expecting. I didn't even know I had 100 readers on this site :p

Status
Not open for further replies.