2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2017-2-8_14-55-36-png.307359

Sunday February 25th 2018

Liz Bartlet: Thorn campaign "desperate" as she predicts victory on "Mini-Tuesday"

New Hampshire Governor Liz Bartlet and Co-Chair of the Sam Seaborn Presidential campaign hit back tonight at the attack advert which was launched by the Thorn campaign across the seven "Mini-Tuesday" states which go to the polls on March 6th.

"It shows that the Thorn Campaign is desperate, they know that the race is all but over, this is a low and desperate last throw of the dice" adding "we could of course create our own advert about Senator Thorn's voting record in the Senate and his dodgy business dealings over the years, but will let the voters decide". The advert alleges that Seaborn pushed for Laurie Edelstein whom he a brief relationship with almost twenty years ago to get her job as Assistant US Attorney for DC. Governor Bartlet said "This race is all but over, we are very confident that the nomination will be won next Tuesday, we only need to win Texas, Ohio and Vermont, those three states will give Senator Seaborn the nomination, it doesn't matter if Senator Thorn wins Kentucky, North Carolina, Indiana and Rhode Island, we win those three states, we are over the 2,358 delegates threshold required for the nomination".

Polls in Texas, Ohio and Vermont all show Senator Seaborn narrowly ahead, but the Thorn camp clearly believe this advert could be a late game changer.

Fun update,

Colour me skeptical for Thorn stratedgy that a Democratic electorate is going to be phased by the idea that nearly 20 years ago, an unmarried Sam Seaborn may have slept with (no allegation that he paid) a woman who was a prostitute but is now an assistant US Attorney.

Obviously, this isn't the same timeline but you only have to look at recent presidents for clearly worse conduct being ignored by the electorate.

This seems like an add that a 3rd party would run and still be unsuccessful would run not from an actual candidate lol

Fun update,

Colour me skeptical for Thorn stratedgy that a Democratic electorate is going to be phased by the idea that nearly 20 years ago, an unmarried Sam Seaborn may have slept with (no allegation that he paid) a woman who was a prostitute but is now an assistant US Attorney.

Obviously, this isn't the same timeline but you only have to look at recent presidents for clearly worse conduct being ignored by the electorate.

This seems like an add that a 3rd party would run and still be unsuccessful would run not from an actual candidate lol
It has never been suggested that he paid her 20 years ago. It is more just a question of what kind of methods he used to get his old "companion" a job and how she may have repaid him afterwards.

It has never been suggested that he paid her 20 years ago. It is more just a question of what kind of methods he used to get his old "companion" a job and how she may have repaid him afterwards.
There's also of course the fact that President Bartlet pulled some strings to make sure she was admitted to the bar, which makes it possible for her to have this job in the first place.

BBC.CO.UK/Politics
Monday February 26th 2018

Leaked memo "Conservatives want to scrap the DWP"

A secret internal Conservative Party memo has been leaked to the BBC, showing on the party's plans to scrap the Department of Work and Pensions. The policy is planned to be in the General Election manifesto for later this year.

The plan would allow the current benefits system to be given to be the County Governments (such as Job Seekers allowance), claimants would be transferred over, with no change in the benefit money paid. The Government would pay the money allocated for benefits direct to the Councils. The pensions part of the department would be transferred to the Treasury in Whitehall. The current department came into being after the 2000 General Election following the merger of the Department of Social security, the old Employment Service and the policy groups of the Department of Education and Employment by the re-elected Meyer Government.

The Shadow Work and Pensions secretary Ruth Butler said "This shows the truth behind the conservative party, they want a return to the lassie Faire welfare polices of the 19th century. Local Councils would not be able to cope with dealing with benefits they can barley administer the current services they are responsible for because of Tory cuts".

Work and Pensions Secretary Michael Jones has not yet responded to the leak.

Last edited:
BBC.CO.UK

Monday 26th February 2018

New Archbishop of York Announced

This morning Number 10 announced that the Bishop of Liverpool, the Rt Reverend Aidan Docherty would be the next Archbishop of York. Bishop Aidan will succeed Matthew Walsh, who stepped down at the end of 2017.

In a press conference at St Peter’s School York, Bishop Aidan explained that it was “both an honour and a privilege” to succeed Archbishop Walsh, while at the same time calling the prospect “terrifying.”

“Matthew was a much smarter man than I,” the Bishop said, “and while I did not agree with him on everything, I have the utmost respect for him. I do not feel in any way able to step into his shoes. The best I can do is chart my own course, and hope that will be satisfactory.”

In a statement issued by Lambeth Palace, the Archbishop of Canterbury Gerald Lacy said “Aidan is one of our most talented Bishops with outstanding pastoral skills and a real heart for the poor. I look forward to working with him more closely over the coming years.”

While many Anglo-Catholics will be happy that one of their number has been appointed to York, both traditionalist Anglo-Catholics and conservative Evangelicals will be disappointed that someone more conservative has not been appointed to balance out what they view as Lacy’s liberal agenda. Bishop Aidan was one of many Bishops to stay silent during the debate on same sex marriage and many will be eager to know what line he plans to take.

Following the press conference, Bishop Aidan took a tour of St Peter’s (the third oldest school in the UK, founded by the first Bishop of York) and then had lunch with the staff of York Castle Museum.

Bishop Aidan is married to Harriet a music teacher, and the couple have two children. He trained for ministry at Westcott House.

Sean-Bean-as-Father-Michael-Kerrigan-989586.jpg

The new Archbishop of York presiding over communion (photo courtesy of Sean Bean)

"Mini-Tuesday" Polling
Republican
Kentucky

1. Gault 37%
  2. Shallick 33%
  3. Durham 30%
Indiana
  1. Gault 37%
  2. Shallick 34%
  3. Durham 29%
North Carolina
  1. Gault 46%
  2. Shallick 32%
  3. Durham 22%
Ohio
  1. Shallick 42%
  2. Gault 31%
  3. Durham 27%
Rhode Island
  1. Shallick 42%
  2. Durham 41%
  3. Gault 17%
Vermont
  1. Durham 46%
  2. Shallick 45%
  3. Gault 9%
Texas
  1. Shallick 50%
  2. Gault 35%
  3. Durham 15%
Democrat
Kentucky
  1. Thorn 47%
  2. Seaborn 31%
  3. Robinson 22%
Indiana
  1. Robinson 34%
  2. Seaborn 33%
  3. Thorn 33%
North Carolina
  1. Thorn 47%
  2. Seaborn 31%
  3. Robinson 22%
Ohio
  1. Seaborn 39%
  2. Thorn 36%
  3. Robinson 25%
Rhode Island
  1. Thorn 36%
  2. Seaborn 35%
  3. Robinson 29%
Vermont
  1. Seaborn 38%
  2. Thorn 37%
  3. Robinson 25%
Texas
  1. Seaborn 43%
  2. Thorn 34%
  3. Robinson 23%

I don't recall that happening. Do you have a specific episode to reference?
Season 1, Episode 21, "Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics"

BARTLET
You should also call the girl... what's her name?

SAM
Laurie.

BARTLET
You should call her and tell her the White House deeply regrets the phenomenal inconvenience she's about to experience.

SAM
Yes, sir.

BARTLET
You might also want to point out to her that she probably has a cause of action against the paper.

SAM
Yes, sir.

BARTLET
And you should tell her that if she passes her Bar exam, the U.S. Attorney General will personally see to it that she's admitted to the Bar.

SAM
Yes, sir.

nbs.com, Monday February 26th

Gault Team Struggling to Push Back on Shallick “War Machine”

The Republican Primary race has taken a number of dramatic twists so far and next weeks’s critical series of contests looks unlikely to be any different. For front runner Henry Shallick the race is far too close, his team had long expected a drawn out primary battle but did not expect the face that challenge in the form it has come, Kansas Governor Peter Gault.

Team Shallick has bombarded all of the key states set for next Tuesday with ads, infrastructure and supporters in an attempt to secure key victories. In Texas, they look well placed for victory, they have ploughed millions of dollars into the Lone Star state where just three weeks ago they trailed Gault in the polls. Key endorsements from Vice-President Clark, Governor Adam De Haan and Senator Davis Roberts look to have put him over the top. Shallick’s team are increasinly hopeful in Ohio where for the first time there massive ad wave seems to have created some clear air between the candidates.

The former White House Chief of Staff continues to have big concerns in five other key states though. He looks set to lose in North Carolina despite a significant investment of resoures – analysts are crediting this to likely lingering impacts of the South Carolina primary and anticipated high turnout in more conservative areas. He is locked in a two way battle with Congressman Will Durham in two states he was expecting to sweep by now – Rhode Island and Vermont, Gault has abandoned the states and there is in fact some suggestion that he has encouraged his supporters in both to back Durham in an attempt to force a contested convention should tomorrow go against him.

The big battle and the most critical race is in Indiana, a fact supported by the presence of both candidates in the Hoosier State today. Gault has consistenly led in polls and he picked up some significant local endorsements including former Senator Bobby O’Rourke but as with every other race now he is being massively outspent and Shallick is closing in with every poll. The Gault team have channelled every resource they have into Indiana, with Ohio and Texas seemingly slipping away their strategy is focusing around winning Kentucky, North Carolina and Indiana and hoping that Durham spring a couple of surprises effectively forcing a deadlocked convention.

Sources close to the Gault campaign suggest that this may well be make or break. “They can’t keep up – the money advantage is killing them, they can’t turn on the TV without seeing a pro-Shallick or anti-Gault ad, every event is surrounded by pro-Shallick activists. It’s tough to see how they can keep up if Shallick wins all of the big states.”

Last edited:

Riley refuses to rule out getting into a deadlocked convention

Senate Majority Leader Cody Riley refused to rule out getting into the Presidential race if it remained deadlocked going to the RNC at Tampa in July.

Speaking at a fridge event at CPAC, in Maryland Riley said "I am looking at the Presidential race with interest, I have remained neutral and will remain so" he paused before adding " until Tampa" he was asked what he meant by that "what I said, if the race remains I would have to listen to those of my fellow Republicans who have already urged me to look at my options, and I will", but he added "I do hope that we get a nominee by the end of the primaries in May, I really do, as we cannot afford the Democrats to steal a march on us, whoever they nominate, will undoubtedly undo the good work of President Walken if elected".

Last edited:

Tuesday February 27th 2018

Thorn wants "one on one debate" with Seaborn

The Thorn campaign has today written to the Seaborn campaign asking for a "one on one debate" between the two men ahead of "Mini-Tuesday" in a weeks time.

The letter says the debate should exclude Senator Rudi Robinson because "he cannot reach the required of delegates to become the nominee", the letter was also sent to the networks. It said the debate should be held because voters had yet "to see a head to head debate between the two men who will be our nominee".

The Seaborn campaign has yet to make any public reply to the letter.

Wednesday February 28th 2018

Seaborn agrees to a debate but only if Senator Robinson is invited

The Seaborn campaign has responded to the Thorn's campaign letter for a debate before "Mini-Tuesday" next Tuesday.

It said it "welcomed debates" but said although had no issues with a debate even at this short notice "for the purposes balance Senator Robinson has to be included, although we acknowledge that he can no longer reach the required number of delegates for the nomination, he is still winning elections as evidenced by his victory last Saturday, and Senator Seaborn believes Senator Robinson has to take part in any debate".

The reply is not what many expected most observers believed that the Seaborn campaign would turn the debate offer down flat, but this reply seems to thought out box in the Thorn campaign to force a debate. A source from within the Seaborn camp told NBS "We don't need a debate, we are winning, the Thorn campaign are desperate, let's see how they respond to this".

upload_2018-2-28_8-9-21.png

Wednesday, February 28th, 2018

Laura Parker Seaborn: Thorn's comments "disgusting and sexist"

In a rare interview with the Los Angeles Times, Laura Parker Seaborn, wife of likely Democratic presidential nominee Senator Sam Seaborn (D-CA), has broken her silence regarding a campaign ad released by the Thorn campaign concerning the relationship between her husband and Assistant US Attorney Laurie Edelstein.

"I normally wouldn't dignify something like this, but Senator Thorn made two mistakes when he approved that ad. He disrespected the relationship between my husband and myself, and he disrespected millions of hard working women across America by playing into the stereotype that women can't be innately qualified for influential jobs, that they have to have help from a powerful man, and that sexual favors are all women need. In 2018, that rhetoric is not only disgusting, it is incredibly sexist coming from a candidate who calls himself a progressive and advocate for women."

Laura Parker Seaborn has been married to Senator Seaborn for almost eight years.

Great article. I'm loving everything you're doing with this election.

Since when has Sam been married. Has it already been addressed?

Great article. I'm loving everything you're doing with this election.

Since when has Sam been married. Has it already been addressed?

Sam got married back in 2010 when he was first running for Senate. The casting for Lauren Parker Seaborn is Anne Hathaway.

Friday March 2nd 2018

Durham pulls out of Texas & Kentucky and Gault does same in Rhode Island & Vermont

With four days until the vital "Mini-Tuesday" elections, Republican Congressman Will Durham has announced that he is pulling out of both Kentucky and Texas with Governor Peter Gault doing the same thing in Rhode Island & Vermont.

Both campaigns have denied conclusion, but the best hope for both men is no candidate reaching the 1,281 delegates required for the nomination, it seems that the decision is basically a "Gentleman's agreement" in the hope that Gault can win Texas, which would without any doubt mean the Republican nomination would not be decided until the convention in Tampa in July. On Gault's side he knows he cannot win either Rhode Island or Vermont, but Durham can which would deny Henry Shallick 35 delegates which could mean the difference between Shallick winning the nomination or a deadlock.

Public Service Announcement
I am at the moment planning "Live" coverage on Tuesday night.
It is likely to follow the same format as "Super-Dupa Tuesday", post an introduction at around 5.PM (EST-10.PM UK), results from around 7.PM (Midnight uk), and results at 9.PM (2 am UK time), will go to bed just after that.
The outstanding results will be posted between 9-10 am (UK-time).
Here at the poll closing times for Tuesday:
7pm:
- Kentucky
- Indiana
- Vermont

7:30:
- Ohio
- North Carolina

9:00:
- Texas
- Rhode Island

Status