2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeMulk

Banned
864.jpg

Vice-President Roland Pierce is seen here greeting former congressman Dean Waller (D)-Wisconsin at the Vice-Presidents mansion in 1988, the two of them are seen celebrating after a successful legislation drive. The women to Pierce's left was Diana Stockton, Waller's chief of staff and she and Pierce are alleged to have had an affair.

msnbc.com

GOP Senator claims recovery "fully underway"

Senate Pro Tempore and chairman of the prestigious senate appropriations committee Robert Minor was on The Real Thing with Nate Bradshaw tonight talking up the economic recovery. He pushed forward recent GOP talking points that have sprung up and the Walken administrations positions on the the recently decreased unemployment rate. Recently, many on the right wing of the republican party like Seth Randall and James Taglio are beginning to declare the republican party's views on fiscal austerity to becoming the leading economic thinking. Conservative economists are believing that this is a true turning point in American macroeconomic policy.

Minor, despite a more than 3 decade long career established as being the establishment of old, one that always looked to work with the other side and having a completely open mind when it came to policy, is toeing the party line it would now seem. "Nate, what I think we are witnessing is the beginning of a new era in the finance of our government and paying down the massive amounts of public debt this nation has incurred. We cut billions in our budget early in the year, with some treasury officials predicting a balanced budget sooner than predicted. Then we cut trillions in our deficit reduction deal this summer. People in Washington now understand that more and more reckless spending isn't the way to recovery."

Minor would continue on with more talking points before making a very large claim. "Belt-tightening, necessary reforms to spending allows confidence for both businesses and consumers to return once more. This economy is in recovery, and it is fully underway. This economy will be growing by 4% by the end of next year and unemployment will be well on it's way towards 6%. No doubt in my mind."

Last edited:
535micro.png

535.com/freshmen-freshmen

Hello all and welcome back to another edition of 535.com's congressional reports. Well, since then our editorial board has come up with several new ideas on bringing you, the american people, more knowledge about those who represent you in our capital. And today will be the one of the newest installment of our new series - a spinoff of sorts from our last one. Known as the "Freshmen Freshmen!" From Conneticut, we go to the congressional delegation from California. And we'll be turning things over to the man who did such an amazing job last year on his state's delegation, San Francisco Chronicle columnist Parker LaRouche!!!

Thanks guys... Or rather 535.com. Welcome back to the Goldest state in the union! The California sun is turning the state golder and golder by the year. Too bad that metaphor doesn't really work with bluer and bluer by the year - well I mean I guess I could make a joke about global warming and rising ocean levels - but that's not the point. What is the point you ask? California is an ever changing map of pieces and gerrymandered districts, but what's interesting is that last year, almost all of the districts that have a cook PVI rating up to D/R+5, flipped to the other party, resulting in an overall democratic gain of a single seat. Oddly, democrats picked up seats in Southern California, but lost two in in the northern part (but not really NorCal). But let's get going, and let's start by overlooking the two new senators the state has!!! Let's get to it.

Senior Senator: Sam Seaborn, Democrat
This time last year, Mr. Seaborn was campaigning to win the seat formerly held by Justine Avery. Despite leading in almost all the polls, the seat was contested by the son of former President Lassiter, Richard Lassiter. Seaborn would go on to defeat the young conservative scion by 7 points, 53-46. Now he is one of the most popular men in the democratic party and is seen as one of the top young lawmakers in Washington. The former Bartlet stalwart has revived the "Bartlet Brand" in the democratic party, which, I have to say is odd, given him coming from the conservative home of Orange County.
Fun Fact: A very unknown fact about Mr. Seaborn, but one that definitely makes sense, is that he is an avid surfer. Coming from Newport Beach, it makes sense. There is one picture out there of Sam wiping out on Waikiki beach in Hawaii. I'm sure now that he's on the intelligence committee, he's had that picture erased from the face of the earth, but I can swear to attest that it existed at one point in time.
Reelection prospects: It's a little early to be talking about this, but hey, we did it last year! Sam's currently got approval ratings through the roof, and isn't up for reelection till 2016. I mean, I know I'm five years off, but at this point I'd say he's a shoe-in for a second, third, fourth, however many terms he wants! Maybe he'll even be a Presidential candidate one day!
Committee Assignments:
Appropriations, Energy and Natural Resources, Judiciary, Small Business and Entrepreneurship, and Select Intelligence
Personal Statement: "Hello fellow 535.com readers! I am Senator Sam Seaborn, and I am also the record holder of the shortest period of time served as the junior senator before becoming the senior senator. Parker is apparently asking the new representatives of California to describe their political ideologies. I can answer that easily. I am a true believer in the American dream, the dream that one day we will achieve the goals of our founding fathers that we shall all be equal and free. I believe that government can be a tool to help us get there, and that there is a perfect balance to how powerful it is. I am in the mold of Jed Bartlet, good government, no more, no less."

Junior Senator: Nicole Kershaw, Democrat
This time last year, Nicole Kershaw was still the fledgling mayor of San Francisco and leading member of the Youth in Revolt. She was getting a lot more prominence as she fully embraced Sam Seaborn's senate candidacy and encouraged younger people to vote for him. Seaborn was elected, and she was expected to return to running San Francisco until a spot in California's higher level of politics opened up for her. Lone and behold!!! Mark Kerrison then resigned from his post, and after much deliberation, Governor Kevin Clarkson appointed her to the US senate and she's been here ever since.
Fun Fact: This occurs from having the biggest "bro" for a husband, but Senator Kershaw has a secret love of the Call of Duty video game franchise. Her personal favorite is the recent release 'Call of Duty: Black Ops.' "I like it better than the others because it takes place during the Cold War. My favorite piece of history!" However, when I asked for her Xbox Live account name, she refused to give me that particular piece of info, sorry folks. She is very excited about the release of 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3,' which came out in early November.
Reelection Prospects: After being appointed by Clarkson, Kershaw deferred accepting the senior senator position to Seaborn, whom she has become very good friends with. But once she got into the senate, she has become a hard-nosed policymaker and a well respected committee member. Her work in the gang of 8 talks on deficit reduction scored her points with independents. Her work on the Consumer Protection Agency reaffirmed her position as a staunch liberal. Many assumed her youth in revolt ties might have hurt her, but at this point a full term is looking very likely for her in 2012.
Committee Assignments: Budget, Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Personal Statement: "Hello all! I am Senator Nicole Kershaw of the great state of California. As for Parker's question, I am an American, and because I'm an American, I am a Liberal. I believe in the simplest American tradition. We Americans care about our fellow citizens, and we do so not just for ourselves, and for our families, our friends and neighbors, but also for our country, for each other, for people we have never seen and never will see. If we as a country can come together to reassure the nation at large that we still represent this tradition, we will reclaim our rightful place as the greatest nation on this earth."

13th District: Kara Sherman, Democrat
Young Kara Sherman is a mid-30s upper middle class soccer mom, with three kids, and her husband is chairman of the federal reserve bank of San Francisco, Daniel Malloy. Prior to last year, she'd never had a moments thought on the possibility of a future in politics. She was a successful housewife. All of that changed when her mother, Diane Sherman, was diagnosed with cancer and asker her daughter to step up. And now the younger Sherman has done that. Getting seats on energy and commerce and natural resources, she has become a staunch advocate for gearing towards a green economy.
Fun Fact: I'm not sure if this is really a fun fact, but it has some light and depth to it. Ms. Sherman was a massive substance abuser in her early adult life, and went to rehab. In fact, her first major incident, crashing into a fire hydrant while drunk driving, was widely publicized when her mother first ran for congress. Since then, she entered rehab, and has become a powerful advocate behind rehabilitation programs.
Reelection Prospects: Too far away to tell. But the seat is not a swinger at all, and should the younger Sherman decide that politics is her thing after all, the sky seems to be the limit for her.
Committee Assignments: Budget, Energy and Commerce, and Natural Resources
Personal Statement: "Hi everyone! I'm congresswoman Kara Sherman, and I started this year off wanting to step out of the legacy of my mother. And I am attempting to do so by engaging the American public in the dangers our planet faces with the threat of global warming. I consider myself on the left, but I don't like to characterize myself. I was elected to represent the beliefs of my constituents and that is what I am doing here in Washington."

14th District: Ken Uyeda, Democrat
The 14th, prior to Uyeda's election last year, was held by the absolute most bizzare man to enter congress since the late 19th century. Wiley Reed. Who's voting record was as capricious as his name would make you think. Uyeda defeated him in a primary last year, and has never looked back, and neither has his district. The former mayor of Palo Alto and state senator had a large base to draw on, and is not letting them down. He's come under the tutelage of house financial services chairman, Jacob Klein and is using his mayoral experience well.
Fun Fact: Mr. Uyeda actually hails from Japan, and his bloodline actually leads back to an ancient lineage of ninjas!!! So Mr. Uyeda can hold the title of being the first mayor in American to be a ninja, and certainly the first ninja in the US congress.
Reelection Prospects: So pretty much, apart from Senators, the "reelection prospects" section is likely to be very thin. For the rest of them.
Committee Assignments: Education and the Workforce, Financial Services, Government Oversight
Personal Statement: "Good day America, my name is Ken Uyeda, and I am the congressman for the California 14th district. I believe that the big time investment bankers on Wall Street, who's reckless behavior led to the near collapse of our economy, and the destruction of the middle class, deserve to have a piece of justice served to them on a plate with a bow on top. I am a liberal"

18th District: Ronald Radovich, Republican
In one of the odder results, Veronica Camalita lost her seat to upstart conservative Ronald Radovich. He claims he is the second coming of Ronald Reagan, which is honestly a bit of a stretch. Just because you share initials, and starred in an infomercial doesn't make you an actor, and it doesn't mean diddly squat. But they are ideologically in line. Republicans are saying that the district is becoming more conservative now, but its far more likely that voters were disgusted with Carmalita following the revelation that she did in fact run a brothel with her husband while she was in congress. Ah well. Radovich hasn't done much so far, but if he wants to be like Reagan, he's gonna have to figure out a way into the governor's mansion.
Fun Fact: Betty, Mr. Radovich's personal assistant, has one of the easiest tasks. Order a Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato sandwich from the congressional deli. Every day. It is Ronald's favorite thing in the world, and, as he says, "there is no man that doesn't love bacon. But there is also no man that loves bacon as much as I do."
Reelection Prospects: ...
Committee Assignments: Appropriations, Judiciary, Rules and Administration
Personal Statement: "BACON STRIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Being serious, I am a Reagan Republican."

20th District: Will Durham, Republican
Another little bit of a shocker, but less so than the 18th. Pascal was a bit too much of a rascal for the democratic leadership and lost in the primary to blue dog Jason Callison. Callison was polling well through out the summer and well into September, but then at their first debate, Callison made a pointed remark against teachers, and promising to cut certain education funding. That prompted students at Fresno high to draft their young idealistic social studies mayor, Mr. Josh Calvin. He gained track with younger voters, and eventually syphoned a solid 10% of democrats from Callison, giving Durham a 46-44-10 victory. It remains to be seen if he can hold the seat in a D+5 district without a third party candidate, but if he can, it'll be a big win for the GOP in California.
Fun Fact: Durham considers himself the most handsome man in congress.
Reelection Prospects:
Committee Assignments: Agriculture, Armed Services, Budget
Personal Statement: "Hello America, my name is William Williard Timothy Durham, my father is former Arizona Senator Brick Durham, who lost in his reelection big in 2000 against Bill Marienhoff. I come from a family of politicians, so I shall be a politician."

27th District: Randy Celeste, Progressive Alliance (Caucuses with the democrats)
Mr. Celeste has an interesting story. Former small business owner, starting up the store "Buy More" as a local alternative to Best Buy, and then becoming the mayor of Burbank. In 2009, during the peak of the healthcare debate and the recession, then-congresswoman Marie Noelle Castro went back on her word to vote in favor of the bill, and Mr. Celeste decided enough was enough. He ran against her in the primary, but lost by the skin of his teeth. Then he decided that he'd self fund an independent leftist campaign, joining up with the growing progressive alliance. Somehow, no republican ran, and Celeste took 54% of the vote. His primary reason for entering national politics, is to achieve comprehensive health care reform, and he's stated he'll continue to serve till he is either voted out, or health care reform is achieved.
Fun Fact: There are rumors that Senator Brett Logan (D-NC) once worked at the Buy More, but neither man is legally allowed to comment.
Reelection Prospects:
Committee Assignments:
Appropriations, Agriculture, Education and the Workforce
Personal Statement: "I'm a liberal. I don't like conservatives. I don't like Republicans. And until a republican helps me get a real healthcare bill done, I won't like them."

30th District: Brody Lambert, Democrat
Lambert has quite the interesting background. He played the actor "Chad Vincent" in the political thriller "Ascension" who was chosen to join the democratic presidential ticket as the Veep. Mr. Vincent would then go on to murder the president-elect, and frame the republicans for it, but Mr. Lambert is not quite there. However, he was one of the earliest embracers of the youth in revolt, praising the goals and their liberal outlook on government. He says that he plans to retire from acting for a while to focus on his job as a congressman, and he seems intent on becoming chairman of some obscure committee one day.
Fun Fact: Lambert is actually quite likely to win an academy award for his role in Ascension.
Reelection Prospects:
Committee Assignments:
Energy and Commerce, Financial Services, Oversight and Government Reform
Personal Statement: "Hey everybody, what's crackin? I'm President Chad Vinc- I mean, I'm congressman Brody Lambert. I gave up acting to focus on my duty to my country to serve. I hope to become chairman of some obscure congressional committee one day. Oh, and I'm what some might call a "Loony on the Left."

32nd District: Juan Vincente, Democrat
Vincente has joined congress for one reason, and one reason alone. Complete and total comprehensive immigration ref
color.gif
orm in the United States. He's currently playing a key role in the ongoing discussions, but has recently come under fire as he, despite his freshman status, is ripping into republican leaders who refuse to budge anywhere to the left so far. He's become a close protege of chairman of the judiciary committee, Marvin Hallifax.
Fun Fact: He hates guacamole. WTF?
Reelection Prospects:
Committee Assignments:
Judiciary, Foreign Affairs, Rules and Administration
Personal Statement: "This government must provide immigrants with an easier way of gaining citizenship. I'm not just talking about immigrants from Latin America. I'm talking about those seeking freedom from Africa, and Asia, like my republican colleague Annie Cao. This is an issue that affects all of us. So let's go!!!"

37th District: Kylie Sambrose, Democrat
Sambrose is the epitome of the Youth in Revolt. A young, attractive, public defense attorney, defeated an establishment democrat who had lost his way in the primary, and has been a staunch liberal vote since joining the house. She's going places, and many assume she is planning on running for attorney general eventually, and maybe stepping up further sometime in the future.
Fun Fact: Her father owns a fast food restaurant in LA, known as the Cluckin' Bell
Reelection Prospects:
Committee Assignments:
Judiciary, Science, Space, and Technology, Transportation and Infrastructure
Personal Statements: "The youth in this country have taken their government by storm, and we're not going to let go until this country lives up to the expectations our founders have lain before us. I consider myself a liberal democrat and I admire men like Jed Bartlet and Lyndon Johnson. I am Kylie Sambrose."

44th District: Mark Ojai, Democrat
Mark Ojai (pronounced O-High) was one of the democrats trio of pickups in southern California last year, which was surprising to many. Sarah Alberson looked to be somewhat safe when the year began and her district had an R+6 rating and voted strongly for President Walken. However, Mark Ojai, the farming tycoon turned former mayor of Corona was recruited by Noah Gellman as to take down Alberson. He was successful, taking 51% of the vote to her 47%. He immediately joined the blue dog coalition and has developed a sense of deal making within the group, and has been a steady vote when they come-a-callin. He's broken with the leadership a number of times and is one of Tom Falkner's early supporters in the recall against governor Kevin Clarkson.
Fun Fact: Ojai made millions as a fruit farmer in Ojai, California. Not so much the farming aspect of it as the running the business of it. Thus when he was sworn in he promised that he would only take the salary of the median income in the country, which sits around $45,000.
Reelection Prospects:
Committee Assignments:
Agriculture, Energy and Commerce
Personal Statement: "Oh hi! I'm Mark Ojai. I consider myself a moderate-leaning-liberal-conservative when I define myself on the political spectrum. That's because there are certainly things I am liberal on, like gay marriage and alternative energy, but there are things I am moderate on like taxes and regulation, and there are things I'm conservative on, such as abortion and gun rights. Make of me what you will."

45th District: Alex Perrin, Democrat
The second of the trio of SoCal seats picked up by democrats last year, Perrin had an easier time of it than Ojai. The seat is a much more of a swing district, with only an R+3 rating, and thus that allowed him more time on the stump with major democrats. He took great advantage of Sam Seaborn's whistle stop bus tour throughout the state which gave him a major boost in the polls. It also didn't hurt that his opposition, Mary Eaton, the mother of former MLB pitcher Adam Eaton, makes Hitler look sane. Not that she was trying to murder 6 million people, but rather her special knack for sticking her foot in her mouth and sound like a fool. Perrin won the seat with 54% of the vote and has put up a liberal voting record, but not one too far left to knock him out of the seat.
Fun Fact: Perrin, a New York native, actually ran in the 2005 New York City mayoral race as an independent candidate. He received 2.4% of the overall vote.
Reelection Prospects:
Committee Assignments:
Financial services, Science, Space, and Technology
Personal Statement: "I'm Alec Perrin. I believe in America. I believe in America's people. Those are the things I consider when I consider which way I plan to vote."

47th District: Brendan Harper, Democrat
The third and final pickup for democrats in southern California. The 47th is infamous as it is where in 2002 a dead man won the election over an incumbent. Then Sam Seaborn had secretly the deceased's wife that he'd run in her husbands place in a special election. He lost, but is now a senator so it's all good. But Brendan Harper who worked in the public defenders office in Anaheim, has something to say to Mr. Seaborn if ever the two get into a spat. However unlikely that is... He beat Webb's successor Waylon Johns by a narrow margin winning only 50%. Harper is a good democrat, very party line type of guy, but tends to the moderate side. His district is only D+2, so it's not unreasonable.
Fun Fact: Harper is actually from just down the road in Laguna Beach, and said he'd be interested in seeing his congressional district shifted this year during the redistricting process so that he'd also represent his hometown. Well, rather than say he's interested, I should say he is a leading lobbyist for it. However, the 47th is the single district in Orange County that a democrat could win in a non-wave year, and Laguna certainly wouldn't help get him an easier district.
Reelection Prospects:
Committee Assignments:
Energy and Commerce, Judiciary
Personal Statement: "Hello, my name is Brendan Harper. I believe in a free society that allows all to prosper rather than focusing on a particular group and giving them an easy ride. I am honored to be serving my constituents in Orange County, and will represent their wishes and desires so long as they remain within my district."

Last edited:
BBC.CO.UK/News

Tuesday November 29th 2011

Syrian protesters break into British Embassy in Damascus

Syrian protesters stormed two British Embassy compounds in Damascus on Tuesday, smashing windows and burning the British flag during a rally to protest against sanctions imposed by Britain over the invasion of Lebanon, Syrian state television showed.

Several dozen protesters broke away from a crowd of a few hundred protesters outside the main embassy compound, scaled the embassy gates and went inside. Syrian security forces appeared to do little to stop them.

The demonstrators threw molotov cocktails and one waved a framed picture of Queen Elizabeth apparently found inside the main compound, the state TV showed.

Less than two hours later, police appeared to regain control of the site. But the official Syrian news agency said about 300 protesters entered the British ambassador's residence in another part of the city and replaced British flags with Syrian ones.

The Foreign Office said it was in contact with embassy officials. Officials were still checking on the well-being of workers and diplomats, a spokeswoman said on condition of anonymity in line with standing policy.
It later issued a statement, calling on Syrian authorities "to act with utmost urgency to ensure the situation is brought under control and to protect our diplomatic compound, as they are obliged to do under international law".

It advised British nationals in Syria to "stay indoors, keep a low profile and await further advice."

townhall.com, Tuesday, November 29th, 2011.

Sullivan to Return to Old Office? Interview Hints at Possible Gubernatorial Run in West Virginia.

Could former West Virginia Governor Ray Sullivan be considering a return to his old office? A recent interview with FOX News indicated that running again is definitely on Sullivan's mind.

In the interview with Brigt Hume, Sullivan was speaking on the number of races that Republicans would be facing in 2012. Sullivan admitted that he was "very confident" that Republicans would perform well across the nation, and that he would do "whatever I can" to help candidates.
Hume then asked Sullivan "Do you have any plans of your own? Any thoughts about running for public office yourself?"
Sullivan chuckled, and stated, "Well Brit, it's certainly crossed the minds of some of my supporters, who have asked me if I would run again! And I'd be lying if I said that I hadn't engaged in some idle daydreams about the possibility. But I think that if I did run, the only office I would want to hold would be my old one, the best one, the Governorship of the great state of West Virginia."
Hume then asked, "So will you run for the Governor's office?" Sullivan replied, "I honestly don't know Brit, I honestly don't. My family is pretty settled right now, and I like my life, but I have to say that my blood could still get up and urge me to run. I will say this-If there's not a Republican candidate to truly challenge Stan Hale, and the party came to me and said, 'You are our absolute best and only chance,' then I would do it in a heartbeat. But other than that, we'll wait and see."

Sullivan held the office of Governor from 2000 to 2008, when he left due to term limits.. Stan Hale, who was serving in the West Virginia Senate, easily claimed a victory following Sullivan's retirement.
Both Hale and Sullivan are popular figures in the state, with Hale boasting 55% approval ratings, while Sullivan has 57% approval.

Last edited:
Probably a good question for promethius...Is Gaddafi still around in our universe? just wondering in case of running some foreign news stories. Oh and solid work on the California images Kahukaman

Probably a good question for promethius...Is Gaddafi still around in our universe? just wondering in case of running some foreign news stories. Oh and solid work on the California images Kahukaman

Gaddafi? Who is that? Oh I think you mean Khaddafi

LEO
Margaret. Please call the editor of the New York Times crossword and tell him that 'Khaddafi' is spelled with an h, and two d's, and isn't a seven letter word for anything.
But yes he is still around, and same as OTL person (or possibly slightly different like Dmitri Gorbachev instead of Mikhail). Probably sanctioned to the wazoo just like OTL, but is an ally of Syria.

By the way anyone have any suggestions for the next foreign brief?

Last edited:
535.com, Tuesday, November 29th, 2011.

Lawson Picture Picked Up, Filming to Begin May of Next Year.

The long-discussed movie of the life of Congresswoman Karen Lawson has been picked up by Paramount for production, and will begin filming in May of next year.

Lawson, who is in a wheelchair, was a gold medalist in archery at the Paralympic Games in 1988 and 1992. After writing her autobiography, Rising Above, she was elected to Congress in 1996, representing the 4th District of New York.

The studio has not yet announced the director or scriptwriter.

Last edited:

JoeMulk

Banned
6ZOoAtAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Ray Sullivan's campaign manager Bob Rollins is seen here on a smoke break outside Sullivan headquarters in 2010.

BBC.CO.UK/News

Wednesday November 30th 2011

UK withdraws diplomatic staff from Syria after attack

Britain is withdrawing some diplomats from Syria following the attack on its embassy in the capital, Damascus, on Tuesday.The Foreign Office said "some staff" were leaving "for their own safety", but gave no further details of the numbers involved.
Tuesday's attack followed Britain's decision to impose further sanctions on Syria over its move into Lebanon to support the military coup.It led to Syria's parliament voting to reduce diplomatic relations with the UK.
Hundreds of protesters - whom Syrian state television described as "students" - massed outside the embassy compound on Tuesday afternoon before scaling the walls and the gates, burning British flags and a car.
The British Foreign Office said Foreign Secretary William Morgan had "made clear that ensuring the safety of our staff and their families is our immediate priority".
"In the light of yesterday's events and to ensure their ongoing safety, some staff are leaving Damascus," it said.
British Prime Minister Andrew Carter has warned of "serious consequences", while the US, EU and UN Security Council also condemned the attack.

Last edited:
BBC.CO.UK/News

Wednesday November 30th 2011

UK to expel all Syrian diplomats over embassy attack

The UK is to expel all Syrian diplomats following the storming of its embassy in Damascus, Foreign Secretary William Morgan has announced.He said he had ordered the immediate closure of the Syrian embassy in London.

Tuesday's attack by hundreds of protesters followed Britain's decision to impose further sanctions on Syria over its movement of troops into Lebanon to support he military coup.The sanctions led to Syria's parliament reducing diplomatic ties with the UK.

Mr Morgan said he was demanding the immediate closure of the Syrian embassy in London, with all its staff to leave the UK within 48 hours."If any country makes it impossible for us to operate on their soil they cannot expect to have a functioning embassy here," he told MPs.
He said there had been "some degree of regime consent" in the attacks on the embassy and on another UK diplomatic compound in Damascus.He said all UK diplomatic staff in Damascus had been evacuated and the embassy closed.

Mr Morgan said relations between the UK and Syria were now at their lowest level, but the UK was not severing relations with Damascus entirely.

Foreign Secretary William Morgan in the House of Commons after his statement on Syria today.
1273053285-45404200.jpg

Last edited:
politico.com, Wednesday, November 30th, 2011.

Gelsey Unusually Aggressive, Blasts Republicans for "A Refusal to Work" in Immigration Talks.

Speaker of the House Carol Gelsey took an unusually strong stance against Republicans today, when she blasted them for the lack of progress in talks over immigration.

At a press conference in the Capitol Building, Gelsey was supported by Marvin Hallifax, the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Jack Stanton, the Chair of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security and International Law, and Majority Leader Mark Richardson. The subject was the ongoing conference committee over immigration reform, which has been in conference since October.

Gelsey was unusually direct in her attacks, blaming Senate Republicans for holding up the legislation: "The House passed a comprehensive, forward looking immigration overhaul in May, and had sent it to the Senate, waiting for approval. It languished there, until the Senate finally got it's act together. Now, on the brink of passing this vital piece of legislation, Senate Republicans are holding it up! They have moved the goalposts, demanded more and given less, and have shown a distinct refusal to work toward a compromise and get this done. The Democrats have made every effort to accomodate every concern, and now we're being held up. We want to get a deal done, and it's the other side that is holding it up. I'm here to urge Majority Leader Royce and Chairman Weston to either come to the table in good faith, or walk away."

This was an unusual display from the Speaker, who has tended more toward reconciliation and strategy, leaving Majority Leader Richardson as the main attack dog for the House Democrats. While it may seem out of character, if Gelsey is irritates to the point where she has to speak out, it might reflect the level of frustration within the Democratic Caucus as a whole. Whether this will spur the Republicans to move toward a deal, or to walk away, has yet to be seen.

JoeMulk, I can't see that image you posted, but "Bob Rollins" must've been a Deputy Campaign Manager, as Sullivan's 2010 CM was the legendary Colt Merchant (Campaign Manager to Joseph Furman, Chief of Staff to Owen Lassiter, former RNC chair).

OoS.png

There are 18 figures there (no, I'm not talking about a hundred quadrillion), so I figured I'd do 18 stories. Easier said than done. So, I did the first eight. Sorry, Carrick/Shanks/Jenkinson/Fuller/Newbury/Wade/Martinez/Howard/Niering/Seymour fans. You're a victim of my laziness as well as the order of succession:

CNN.com, Wednesday, November 30, 2011
President prepares for Middle East trip

President Walken will be among the dignitaries attending the swearing-in of Ben Sawihili on Friday in the newly established Free World Holy City State of Jerusalem. Walken attended a press briefing regarding the matter Wednesday morning. He noted that the situation was still tense in the region but that peace "must be maintained" and that the Peace Accord is doing "more good than harm."

His comments echo that made by Palestine's UN Ambassador Saeb Mukarat and Israeli Prime Minister Efraim Zahavy. Walken joked that tensions were equally high in the "Middle West" (Midwestern United States), and that his dogs Bess and Margaret will be leading the security detail.

NBS News, Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Vice President Meets with Thai Delegation

Vice President Clark met with a delegation from Thailand representing Prime Minister Hang Hai Thok. Thok, the son of assassinated dictator General Hang Thok, has promised "great alliances" with the United States, despite comments during the election by Walken that were critical of Thailand.

US-Thailand Ambassador Christopher Jones was seen as instrumental in helping achieve renewed relations with Thailand, and Clark has announced the meeting was a success. Details are nonspecific at this time, but rumors are that the US will provide foreign aid to help alleviate Thailand's poverty issues, in exchange for Thailand guarantees to demilitarize its border with Laos.

The Secretary of State's office and the President were unable to comment due to ongoing issues involving Israel, Palestine, Jerusalem, Syrian, and Lebanon.

CND, Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Speaker of the House in Vocal War with Conspiracy Theorist

Last Thursday, radio host and noted conspiracy theorist Harvey P. Stefano, attacked Speaker of the House Carol Gelsey for being a "paid member of the Zionist conspiracy," noting her Jewish background and support for the Ankara Accord. In a press conference this morning on immigration, Gelsey stated that "Immigration is the issue here, not some sad, misinformed commenter."

Before moving on to her primary topic, she did state that her religion strengthened her legislative ability and that Stefano's statements have "no place in modern discourse." Her office later released a statement that "the Speaker is firmly committed to first amendment rights, and was merely uttering her personal view of Mr. Stefano's on-air comments."

The Washington Post, Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Senate's Senior Statesman Speaks on Senate History

President pro tempore Robert Miner (R-AR) has been making the talk show circuit lately. Unlike his predecessor, Joseph Furman in his later years, Miner is only 73 and is fully capable and is a well-known spokesman for the Republican cause. His current agenda is economic recovery, which he states is fully underway. However, on Charlie Rose last night, he spent time noting his own past as a Senator.

"In 1967, I was a junior Democrat - remember, I didn't change parties until Nixon came along. The Pro tem back then was, I believe, Carl Hayden. I had legislation I wrote as a candidate to help our soldiers overseas, and I couldn't find a sponsor in the Republican aisles that first year. It was Harvey Beame [Republican Senator for New York] who convinced me to switch over, telling me that Democrats are more easily persuaded than Republicans. I guess he was right because I was persuaded right then and there.

"When I switched in '69, I had angry phone calls from every which way. William Gaines, Nathaniel Elby, Martin Dale. Every top Democrat was yelling at me and telling me I'd never be elected again. Arkansas had never elected a Republican since Reconstruction times, and other than me, would never elect one again until Dresden in '93. But they overlooked the power of incumbency and I managed to get alot of help in '72 and '78.

"In '90, with the loss of the Senate, I took over as Senate Minority Leader. Lobell, MacAllum, and Simon all wanted that seat, but I had just won with the biggest percentage in what was thought to be an easy Democratic pickup, so everyone agreed that I was the best qualified. I gave up my committee assignments and went about attacking Berelli - very easily - and having lunches with the President. Things were not meant to be, however, and I stepped down after we failed to retake the Senate, despite the Lassiter landslide, in '94."

The entire interview can be seen on PBS.org.

The Onion, Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Secretary of State sad over lack of contact with Ferfleckistan

State Secretary Arnie Vinick is a sad man. Not over his dead wife or his lack of religion, but he's sad because the US has failed. On his desk, he has a red telephone that reaches directly to the Prime Minister of Ferfleckistan. But he cannot use it.

"We need to reestablish contact with the Ferfleckis. Only then will my tenure as Secretary of State - due to end in 2059 - be complete."

The US has been out of diplomatic contact with the Ferflecki nation since it first discovered it existed in 1821. President Adams said "it's a stupid name" and decided to embargo them right then or there. Secretary Vinick stated that establishing contact with the nation is his primary goal as State Secretary, but has been unable to do it. Because it's scary or something.

"I'm sure we will before I leave my position. The only reason we haven't is -- hey what's that out the window!" With that our interview was over.

Wall Street Journal, Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Secretary Kendrick announces expansion of Treasury Department

Working in tandem with the FBI, Treasury Secretary Stephen Kendrick has expanded the operating budget of the Treasury Department for FY 2012, with planned expansions in FY 2013 and 2014. The reasoning is reports stating that counterfeiting is on the rise. This is the biggest expansion of the Treasury department since the 1980s.

Kendrick has in the past, supported the move of some of its law enforcement agencies, such as the ATF and the Secret Service, into other more appropriate Cabinet agencies. As of right now, the ATF and Secret Service also work with Director of National Security Jeremy Falco in an 'advisory' position.

Los Angeles Times, Wednesday, November 30, 2011
'No Plans to Demilitarize Gaza', states Secretary Kilner

Although the Gaza War is over, the Peace Accord has reached fruition, and both Palestine and Jerusalem have elected new governments, there are still some troops in the Gaza Strip. They will remain, says Secretary of Defense Bob Kilner, "for the foreseeable future."

The base, FOB Boggins, is located about 50 miles from Gaza and is staffed by about 300 personnel permanently.

New York Times, Wednesday, November 30, 2011
AG Luevano reverses opinion to fire Solicitor General

The Attorney General, Ellen Luevano, has been rumored to be heavily opposed to Solicitor General Harlan Marshall, to the point that she recommended his removal from the office. Marshall, a former FBI Assistant Director known for his heavy personality in Supreme Court proceedings, has been deemed too 'partisan' in one leaked e-mail by Luevano's office. She cited his poor record in the Court (although this is often attributed to the Court's liberal leanings) as evidence of his tenure as SG being a failure.

Although the Solicitor General is the number four office in the Justice Department, the decision to fire or nominate the position remains in the hands of the President. Reportedly, Marshall maintains a close relationship with President Walken and was originally on his short list for Attorney General. He replaced Santos' Solicitor General, Lionel Tribbey.

In response to the Leaks.com e-mail leak, Luevano claimed that the message was "a mistake" and that her relationship with Marshall is one of mutual respect.

OoS.png

Last edited:
associatedpress.com, Thursday, December 1st, 2011.

Governors Send Letter to DEA Asking to Reclassify Marijuana.

18 Governors, 12 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 1 Independent, have sent a letter to the Drug Enforcement Administration asking the agency to reclassify marijuana so doctors can prescribe it and pharmacists can fill the prescription.

In their letter, the governors said Wednesday they want the federal government to list marijuana as a Schedule 2 drug, allowing it to be used for medical treatment. Marijuana is currently classified a Schedule 1 drug, meaning it's not accepted for medical treatment and can't be prescribed, administered or dispensed. 16 of the governor's who signed the letter have marijuana laws on the books, while two currently have laws spending in their state legislatures.

The 16 states with laws on the books are: Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. The two with laws pending are Massachusetts and Maryland. Though those governors did not sign onto the letters, Illinois, New Hampshire, New York and Pennsylvania also have legislation on the floor.

Under President Walken, the Justice Department and related agencies have so far not pursued medical marijuana dispensaries in states that have legalized them. It is unknown how the DEA will respond to this letter.

The Gregg Institute of Foreign Relations

The Governors of Florida

NOTE: The Governor of New Hampshire is elected to four year terms any references to two year terms is erroneous and obviously misinformed

Brian Rogers (1979-1989)

One of the most fondly remembered governors in Florida. Known for his kindness and duty to the office. He skillfully navigated the Reagan Crisis and won his half term. Many people on both sides of the aisle were sorry to see him retire in 1989. Known as "Every Floridan's Friendly Neighbor" and renown to reaching out to all voters, also had a love for model train sets.

governorrogers.png

Former Governor Brian Rogers (1979-1989) Photo by Fred Rogers (Yeah I made Mr. Rogers a governor. You gotta problem with that?)

Brianna W. Albright (1989-1993)

A former local newscaster for Miami, Albright catapulted into politics via the Miami City Council, and then going up through the state legislature. She narrowly beat out Rogers successor. Her tenure was infamous for the "Everglades Redevelopment Plan" a plan clogged by failure and corruption. Although she was Florida's first female governor, that could not save her from being kicked out of office in one of the biggest landslides in the history of Florida

scaled.php

Former Governor Brianna Albright (1989-1993) Photo by Jane Curtain

Luke Minnear (1993-1997)

After the disaster that was Albright's administration, Minnear was elected on the promise of a return to the Rogers Years. Unfortunately he was no Rogers, but no slouch when it came to running the state. Health problems forced him to not run for re-election in 1996, leading to him endorsing his lieutenant governor, one Carol Gelsey. However waiting in the wings was Robert Ritchie in the State Senate, the young Gelsey never had a chance.

wayneknight3.jpg

Former Governor Luke Minnear (1993-1997) Photo by Wayne Knight

Robert Ritchie (1997-2005)

The first two term governor since Brian Rogers of the 1980s. Richie was a different kind of Republican, and unfortunately one aide on the campaign trail called him "a new Lassiter". President Lassiter who's poll numbers had been falling did not particularly like that, and Ritchie received almost no support from the RNC. Yet Ritchie's message caught on and he was swept into office. He ran deficits most of his years in office but he was popular nonetheless. In 2002 he was the Republican candidate for President but was unable to defeat the embattled Bartlet, particularly after the embarassing debate. He was term limited in 2005 and endorsed his lieutenant governor Eric Swenson, to be his replacement.

robertritchie.jpg

Former Governor Robert Ritchie (1997-2005) Photo by James Brolin

Eric Swenson (2005-2010)

The Election of 2004 was a tough race, Carol Gelsey tried to run again, but experienced fundraising problems. A media blitz by Swenson the week before the election switched Miami away from Gelsey's camp to Swenson. Swenson ran on a platform of fiscal planning and smaller government. He was able to accomplish that, and was re-elected by a narrow margin. In 2010 on hearing Framhagen's retirement, retired himself to run for the Senate. Leaving the state in the hands of his lieutenant governor Jill Gonzales.

tsgfh.jpg

Former Governor Eric Swenson (2005-2010) Photo by Obba Babatunde

Jill Gonzales (2010-2011)

A rising star in the Florida Republicans, but Swenson's resignation threw her into the highest office in the state. Although she had allies in the Republican party in Florida, her own campaign to remain governor fell short, and the Republicans threw their support behind James Ritchie after a tough primary. She'll be back

1222ly.jpg

Former Governor Jill Gonzales (2010-2011) Photo by Lauren Velez <I couldn't find any mention of a lieutenant governor, if anyone has one let me know.>

James Ritchie (2011-)

The son of former Governor Robert Ritchie, has done well for himself, although he constantly has to get around rumors that his father got him his job, which ignore the fact that he was at one time a fairly successful Representative of Congress.

1233b.png

Governor of Florida James Ritchie (2011-) Photo by Josh Brolin

>>>>>
governorsofflorida.png

BBC.CO.UK/News

Thursday December 1st 2011

Number Ten confirms Prime-Minister Carter will attend the swearing-in of Ben Sawihili in Jerusalem

Number Ten has confirmed in the last few minutes that Prime-Minister Andrew Crater will be attending the swearing of Ben Sawihii as the First President of Jerusalem tommorrow.

Despite ongoing tensions with Syria, it was announced the Prime-minister and the Foreign Secretary William Morgan will attend the swearing in. President Walken confirmed yesterday that he would attending with Secretary of State Arnold Vinick.

politico.com, Thursday, December 1st

Eaglehall jumps into senate race

After months of speculation surrounding the senate race next year in Virginia, a new name jumps into the race. Richmond mayor and former wall street investment banker Levi Eaglehall announced today in an email to supporters that he was going to run next year against Troy Rivers in the republican senate primary. Troy Rivers, the former lieutenant governor has been the only republican candidate so far, and many moderates in the party have been looking for an alternative.

Eaglehall, the former CEO of wall street's biggest investment bank Merill Schwartz, has a strong fiscally conservative record. Opposing the wall street reforms of 2009, which many consider very lax, opposing any tax increase of any kind, including closing loopholes. However, his record on social issues has been a potentially weak point for him in a very conservative GOP in Virginia. He is in favor of civil unions for same sex couples, and is in favor of abortion in all cases except late term. But his record as a staunch republican is not in question, and neither is the size of his checkbook. Apart from his own personal funds, he will undoubtedly receive large contributions from the financial services sector - AKA wall street.

On the democratic side, former governor Mark Renton is the only big time candidate running. But there is talk of a more liberal challenger, potentially Roanoke businesswoman Natalie Hamilton, who is getting closer and closer to announcing a bid. Her credentials as a liberal fall nicely in line with the Youth in Revolt, as the young political movement has already announced that they will not be supporting Renton's campaign due to his positions on gay marriage and his conservative record as governor.

Status
Not open for further replies.