1935-1945: twin-engined day fighters are in push-pull configuration

marathag

Banned
That may mean long coolant lines. L
Belly and Wing radiators already a good distance apart with many inline tractor prop setups.
But with nose and rear filled with engines and piping between them, leaves little room for fuel, and wing volume will get crowded, fast, trying to fit guns, fuel and landing gear

Belly and Wing radiators already a good distance apart with many inline tractor prop setups.
But with nose and rear filled with engines and piping between them, leaves little room for fuel, and wing volume will get crowded, fast, trying to fit guns, fuel and landing gear
Engines can be located away from the CoG-neutral space, so we can imagine a layout of engine-cockpit-fuel-engine (or engine-fuel-cockpit-engine). Being the twins, the wing will be of a good size (about 300 sq ft for a twin powered by Merlin/DB 601/V-1710/HS 12Y? or some not-big radial), leaving a lot of space for landing gear and weaponry/ammo/additional fuel.
We can expect a 'beard' or annular radiator for the front engine, and aft-belly radiator for the rear engine.

A couple of crazy designs I did for the "Alternate History Combat" thread - https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/alternate-history-combat-aircraft.457446/

B225
0tVIrsP.gif

Alternate Black Widow
BLACK WIDOW.jpg

I honestly don't think either of these designs would work but they were fun to draw.

_B19.gif

This a design I did for one of the TL-191 threads we have here, it's a more serious attempt for a pusher/pull aircraft and was inspired by Dornier seaplanes of the 1930's and early WWII.
The Dornier seaplanes were the best push/pull designs IMO.