a Valkyrie Rises Over Europe, a Alternate Story of the Cold War

This is nothing like Fatherland, in the fact of this TL is based on a very improbable but entirely plausible set of events that could've led to German victory, unlike Fatherland which pulled a German victory out of it's ass somehow with a POD after D-Day, but other then that, pretty much that.

As for Manchuria, it will be handed back to the Republic of China, it is just under temporary American administration at this point, as for the Chinese Communists, maybe, maybe not, we'll see.

I mean't Fatherland in the sense that this focuses on a Cold War setting with Nazi Germany. The victory situation in Fatherland I can't actually remember beyond something, something Nazi nuke over New York.

Chinese Communism, with the USA actually on mainland China I doubt would have much chance of success. No backing from Manchuria or USSR and with US troops on the ground, the cause is probably doomed.

What sort of reparations have the Nazis extracted from the USSR? I'd imagine that they'd demand money/resources as well as territory. Or is it a perpetual state of partisan warfare?

I mean't Fatherland in the sense that this focuses on a Cold War setting with Nazi Germany. The victory situation in Fatherland I can't actually remember beyond something, something Nazi nuke over New York.

Chinese Communism, with the USA actually on mainland China I doubt would have much chance of success. No backing from Manchuria or USSR, the cause is probably doomed.

What sort of reparations have the Nazis extracted from the USSR? I'd imagine that they'd demand money/resources as well as territory.

The Victory Situation in Fatherland involved a Post D-Day POD, it was wildly unbelievable, but I get what you mean, pretty much, a Cold War seeing with Those Wacky Nazis.

As I said, we will say regarding Mao and his gang.

Well, besides the obvious annexation of half of Russia, the Peace Treaty that ended hostilities between the USSR and the Greater German Reich involved a yearly tribute to be paid by Vladivostok, in the form of Reichsmarks or Rubles, or at Berlin's desires, industrial equipment or weapons or laborers, depending on the mood of the German government when it comes time to pay Tribute.

On another note, I do have a general idea on what unlucky Fascist nutjob gets the honor of succeeding our not so Beloved Fuhrer, through I have to narrow it down, I can say however that Himmler is not going to get the honor of becoming the next leader of the Reich, the unlucky chap who does will likely be someone very familiar to most of you however.

Until the day Adolf croaks, enjoy the might of the German Army played to a catchy beat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYdmk3GP3iM

Tomorrow I will offer some further insight onto the Western side of the picture and the blowback of the end of the War on Britain and the United States, as well as possibly the 1948 American Presidential Elections, through I might wait to do those.

KaiserK, great thanks for the start of another lovable, though much criticised (because it is a bit of a stretch), Timeline! Please continue against all odds with both projects, KaiserK! I will support you at all times!

Gloria für Preußen (vor allem wenn es sozialistisch oder kommunistisch ist)!

=======
Chapter 3
The Treaty of Geneva and the End of the Second Great War's Effect on the West.

tel0-010.jpg

Los Alamos Research Facility, c. 1945

"Once I saw the first test succeed, as the explosion rocked the land and the bright orange Mushroom Cloud Rose from the New Mexican Desert, I felt as if we scientists has just opened the Gates of Hell and unleashed all of Satan's Energies onto the Fertile Plains of the Earth" - Robert J. Oppenheimer

The End of the Second Great War between the remaining Axis Powers and the Western Allies not only saw large long term effects on the side of the victorious Axis, but on the defeated side of those who formed the Allies, such as the United States and Great Britain. the events of the next few years would be a great factor in deciding how the Post-War World would shape up to be.

It is certainly hard to say that the Allies lost the War completely, the United States had thoroughly defeated the forces of the Empire of Japan in the Pacific, achieving their desired revenge for the Attack on Pearl Harbor, and the British themselves had smashed all of Mussolini's forces in Africa in addition to pushing Petain's Vichy France out of her colonies in Africa and the Middle East.

Nevertheless the enemy the Allies could not defeat was the German Reich itself, after years of being unable to make any gains against the Germans in Europe, the Allies were forced to bow out and make peace with the Reich after the Allied Governments had lost the political support to continue the War against the Germans, Even if the political support had been there for the Allies, an increasingly War Weary Populace among the Allied Powers, especially in the United States, forced the hand of Washington and London in the end as the groups that supported continuing War with the Reich slowly lost public support as the War dragged on and more and more dead piled up with little to no gain against the Germans.

The military side of the situation did not look much better for the Allies, the resources and men needed to invade and penetrate the Stronghold of German occupied Europe would have been a good several years away in order to be ready to conduct any major offensive operations in Europe, and even if the Allies were able to mount the resources needed to invade Europe there was no guarantee it would work due to the massive amount of veteran and combat experienced Heer and Waffen-SS Soldiers fresh from victory over the Soviets, as well as the powerful air arm of the Wehrmacht, the Luftwaffe, guarding Hitler's "Fortress Europe" from attack by the Reich's enemies, the Allies soon found themselves boxed in regarding all their options in continuing the War with the remaining European Axis Powers.

The Allies most radical option would have been to hinge the entire war effort against the Germans on a experimental super weapon that had been under development since 1942, a weapon that might not have even worked as the Allies hoped it would, or to continue a unpopular war and lose more lives in a long-term endeavor that might not work, and thus with no practical options remaining, the Allied governments decided to make peace with the Axis Powers, resulting in the Treaty of Geneva that ended the Second Great War and sealed Germany's victory.

Upon the End of the War in Europe, things in the United States turned inwards as the country prepared for Mid Term Elections for both the House of Representatives and the Senate, President Harry S. Truman, who had succeeded former President Roosevelt upon the latter's death 19 months earlier was not a very popular President, by Summer 1946 Truman's approval rating had slipped to a record low of 25%.

President Truman did not possess the political capital or influence that Roosevelt had during his Presidency, and many Americans blamed the President for not only dragging the US into the War in Europe, but for also dragging out the War in Europe longer then it needed too, and thus responsible for the 98,234 American Soldiers and Sailors (most of whom were lost Naval Confrontations against the Kriegsmarine) that had been Killed in Action in Operations in and around the European Continent, (even through America's entry into the European Front was of Roosevelt's accord, not Truman's), Japan had been seen by most Americans as the US's true enemy, and upon it's defeat in the Spring of 1944 most Americans were ecstatic, and happy to see the end of War, but America's brief involvement in the European War added to the death toll, and as the War dragged on past what many Americans saw as the end of their involvement, many made the new President a scapegoat as many became aggravated with the Democrats and what the average American saw as "Truman's War".

Harry_S._Truman.jpg

Harry S. Truman, the 33rd President of the United States

Of course, It is not that the average American thought well of the Nazi's, most didn't, but the Reich had remained cordial and respected American neutrality throughout the entire War, and the German's to many did not seem to threaten American interests directly, compared to the issue of Japan, the Problems of Europe were far from America's strategic and tactical interests, which Japan had directly threatened even before War Broke Out, so America dragging itself into the European War came as a surprise to many, and War dragged on, Men were sent to fight another enemy far away, for no gain or results other then more American dead, and as the War Dragged on Further through 1944, 45 and 46, the Democrats and Truman, due to the issues of the European War and mismanagement on the Domestic Front increasingly became scapegoats in front of the American populace.

Soon the scheduled 1946 Mid Term Elections arrived on November 5th, a mere 3 months after the Geneva Accords were signed between the Axis and the Allies, The Elections would prove to be a disaster for the Democrats as many within the party and higher echelons of the Truman administration had feared, as the results of the election came in, the Democrats were dismayed as the Republicans would pick up 76 seats in the House, and 20 seats in the Senate, taking a majority within both houses of Congress and effectively limiting the Democrats ability to properly govern, and with the 1948 Presidential Elections looming around the corner, things did not look good for President Truman and the Democrats regarding their chances of re-election.

The Fallout of the End of the War was felt even greater over in Great Britain, the British had been involved since the beginning in attempting to stop the Germans from overrunning Europe. and thus the Peace Accords felt like a punch in the gut to many British citizens and politicians, especially those who had fought against the Germans since the War broke out in 1939, as Britain eased back into peacetime the issue of Elections came up, The British Government had postponed scheduled elections in 1940 due to the outbreak of the War with the Axis, but with peace now existing between the former belligerent powers of Europe the issue of a "Existing National Emergency" were moot, Elections were hastily rushed for early 1947 as the Post-Geneva Caretaker Government established by Prime Minister Churchill attempted to earn a mandate from the British people, opposing them was the Labor Party, headed by Clement Attlee, ran on the platform of economical reform, expansion of Health Care with the establishment of what Atlee and Labor called the "National Health Service", as well as a platform based on the issue of Wartime Leaders such as Churchill, and the need to get them out, Labor political cartoons and pamphlets criticized Conservative policy and the War in Europe, stating that millions of Britain's young and finest had died in vain in what Atlee called "Churchill's Folly".

When the election results came in, Bad News Arrived for the Conservatives as Labor swept it's way into a majority in Parliament, and Atlee into the Post of Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, a man of many faults and a man of many dreams, would leave 10 Downing Street a broken, bitter and disgraced man, dying of a stroke only 3 months later at the age of 73, at his apartment in downtown London.

robert-oppenheimer_2394147b.jpg

Robert J. Oppenheimer, the man behind the American Hell Bomb Project.

Of course, The End of the War in Europe did not mean that there was true peace with the Reich, in fact both the United States and Great Britain still rightfully saw the German Reich as well as it's Tripartite Allies as a great threat, and thus continued several classified Wartime Projects Post-Geneva, one of these projects was codenamed the "Manhattan Project", a top secret Allied Project to create a Super Weapon of unimaginable proportions, the project was commissioned by the Allies in early 1942 due to the rumors that the Nazi's were working on a similar project, and the Allies decided they needed to try and beat the Germans to the punch, the project was still in working stages, but close to a possible breakthrough when the War in Europe came to a abrupt end with the Treaty of Geneva, However despite the end of the war, President Truman ordered it's operations continue despite many within the US Government and even the Higher Authorities of the Project doubting the capability of the actual planned weapon or whether such a device would work, the Scientists however continue their work after the end of the War and in late 1946 they were able to proof all doubters wrong when the World's First Atomic Fission Based Bomb was tested in the New Mexico Desert, outside of the Los Alamos Base where a lot of the work for the Manhattan Project had been done, upon seeing the explosion for the first time, Lead Project Scientist, a American physicist by the name of Robert J. Oppenheimer was quoted as saying the now famous quote, a quote that can practically sum up the weapon in just a few words, stating that when he first saw the explosion and the rise of the infamous Mushroom Cloud long associated with the Weapon, he felt as if the Scientists apart of the Manhattan Project had in his opinion "Opened the Gates of Hell and unleashed of Satan's Energies onto the Fertile Plains of the Earth", Oppenheimer's Quote ironically gave the bomb it's now infamous name, the "Hell-Bomb".

The Project had been top secret and only known to the highest in command among the Allied Leadership and those who specifically worked on the project, unknown to the leaders of the Allies was the fact that the Nazi's Nuclear Projects had started slow, bickering and in fighting between various groups, the German High Command's mistrust of the science behind the Hell Bomb, along with mathematical miscalculations had stalled the progress of the German Project ever since it's start, however the Allies, even if they had known about the German Project's previous failures, still feared one thing above all else, and that was German Spies infiltrating the Manhattan Project, unfortunately for the Allies, despite all of their best attempts to whittle out any German spies, a ring of Abwehr agents managed to infiltrate the Manhattan Project, soon the Germans began pilfering data from the Americans, realizing the mistake of their miscalculations, and thus Hitler ordered the beginning of a proper project to compete with the Allied Project, demanding that the "Aryan Race" could not lag behind the Allies in producing what would become known as Hell Bomb's, the German Project, codenamed "Die Glocke" (The Bell) by the German government, took place over the course of 5 years from the establishment of the Abwehr Ring in 1942, the project culminated in the Summer of 1947, when the Germans finished a Prototype Fission Weapon, codenamed "Gotterdammerung", based on the design for the First American Test conducted at the Los Alamos Test Site, the weapon was transported via a Cargo Ship to "Nova Zembla" a unpopulated island located off the German Artic Coast, the Weapon was assembled on the Island and tested on August 8th, a Friday, and tested at 6:57 PM Local Central European Time.

00006984_medium.jpeg

Members of the German Nuclear Program "Project: Elektra" meet at Project Headquarters in Danzig.

The Test turned out, unfortunately for the United States, to be a success, the Greater German Reich had joined the United States as one of the only two Hell Bomb Armed Nations upon the successful nature of the Valkyrie Test, Adolf Hitler lauded the success of the test, stating that the Reich "had propelled itself into the status of true power and prestige, the Might of the Aryan Mind and the Aryan Heart has made all the hard work undertaken by the brave German scientists successful, I applaud the work of the scientists involved and wish them future luck in future endeavors that will surely be for the betterment of the German mind and German soul".

With the Acquisition of Hell Bombs by both the United States and the Greater German Reich, both Nations, and All of Humanity had unknowingly propelled itself into a age, a potentially dark one, one dominated by the over looming threat of death by the Power of the Sun, Unknowingly oblivious to their actions, for better or for worse.

Last edited:
and yes, you all knew it was coming, but the Nazi's now have the Bomb despite their ineptness at it in OTL, through America does too, so this is going to be interesting.

and the whole spy thing works I think, I mean, it's how the Soviets built their first bomb in OTL, they ripped off the US.

by Summer 1946 Truman's approval rating had slipped to a record low of 25%.
With numbers like that and the European war being hung on him, this timeline may actually make the Chicago Tribune right when 1948 rolls around. Of course that is provided Dewey can get the Republican nomination.

With numbers like that and the European war being hung on him, this timeline may actually make the Chicago Tribune right when 1948 rolls around. Of course that is provided Dewey can get the Republican nomination.

Indeed, the Chicago Tribune may be in fact right this time around when the '48 Presidential Elections roll around, however I must admit, it is ironic Truman is getting the blame considering FDR was actually the one who got America involved in the failure that was America's involvement in the European War (I did mention this in the update) however considering FDR died only a few months after that and Truman was a relatively unknown official who just happened to get picked as FDR's Running Mate in 1944, and was basically the face of America's involvement in Europe, It seems like to me he just becomes a easy scapegoat for a increasingly war weary and angry American populace who is mad their boys are dying over across the Atlantic for a enemy that was never theirs to begin with (that is the Nazi's, since it was the US who declared War on the Germans ITTL, not the other way around, especially as the Germans pretty much did nothing to warrant a Declaration of War from the US technically).

Through in terms of the Republican Nomination, Dewey might not even get the nomination, no guarantee of it.

If the Germans have the bomb, then they should nuke Britain now and grab its posessions asap.

If the Germans have the bomb, then they should nuke Britain now and grab its posessions asap.

Nice idea and all, okay not really a nice idea considering the Civilians that would die, but a few problems with that.

one, the Germans need their millions of troops to keep down Europe, they can't just go trapsing all across Africa, Asia and the Middle East when they have Eastern Territories with resentful minorities (or in the case, majority if you put all the Slavs together at this point in 1947), and the entire European continent to pacify, not even the world's greatest dumbass the world has ever seen, the one and only Adolf Hitler himself is that dumb.

two, the Germans don't have enough Bombs at this point to do more damage then one or two cites (seeing as both the Americans and Germans just tested their first bombs, the Americans might have all of two or three and the Germans might have 1 at this point after the initial Valkyrie Test), and of course the Germans still cannot pull off Sealion no matter how much Hitler's ego wishes they could.

and of course, three, wouldn't that kind of ruin the point of a Cold War, if I am not mistaken?

I must criticize again kaiser, the layout of your writing. You need to break down your sentences. They are way to big, every paragraph is one sentence and that makes for a tiresome read. Often where you have commas, a new sentence could be started. Don't run on sentences for several lines, it's bad writing.

Now onto content.

The Nazi's get the bomb in 47? Ummm I understand they have infiltrated the Allied bomb project, but so had the Soviets (who already had an A-Bomb project which was more on the right track) and even they took a further four years to create a weapon. The Nazi's are essentially starting from scratch, their most talented Jewish physicists have already fled and the heavily divided German science community was well behind (some already dismissing the project as impossible due to miscalculations within their own project). There are aspects of developing an Atomic bomb that simply cannot come about in a year. Obtaining the fissionable materials and coming up with a diffusion method are complicated and protracted. I would say 1949 for the Nazi's or the 1950's? It still relatively in scope and as you said, the Allies seem more restricted by public unwillingness to go to war with the Reich, so I don't think that changes anything significantly.

Give this a read. It basically outlines why the German project failed.

http://www.history.ucsb.edu/projects/holocaust/Research/Proseminar/johnamacher.htm

and yes, you all knew it was coming, but the Nazi's now have the Bomb despite their ineptness at it in OTL, through America does too, so this is going to be interesting.

and the whole spy thing works I think, I mean, it's how the Soviets built their first bomb in OTL, they ripped off the US.

Not entirely true. They took elements but they had their own program that was also on the right track.

The Soviet program on Wikipedia should give you a basic idea of what they were working with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_atomic_bomb_project

And you can better understand the failures the Nazi's faced and why it would take some time to overcome. I don't believe it's impossible for the Nazi's to obtain a weapon, but no in the time frame you have set. 1947 is way to soon. Again it's your timeline and up to you but I would suspect it may take a little while longer, considering how lagged the Germans are. Even with spoon fed intelligence, they need to have at least a base to work with, which they didn't. Give them a few more years of research first I don't think you significantly lose the cold war impact.

Last edited:
I must criticize again kaiser, the layout of your writing. You need to break down your sentences. They are way to big, every paragraph is one sentence and that makes for a tiresome read. Often where you have commas, a new sentence could be started. Don't run on sentences for several lines, it's bad writing.

Really? It looks fine to me and reads fine to me, I even used a grammar checker this time.

Now onto content.

The Nazi's get the bomb in 47? Ummm I understand they have infiltrated the Allied bomb project, but so had the Soviets (who already had an A-Bomb project which was more on the right track) and even they took a further four years to create a weapon. The Nazi's are essentially starting from scratch, their most talented Jewish physicists have already fled and the heavily divided German science community was well behind (some already dismissing the project as impossible due to miscalculations within their own project). There are aspects of developing an Atomic bomb that simply cannot come about in a year. Obtaining the fissionable materials and coming up with a diffusion method are complicated and protracted. I would say 1949 for the Nazi's or the 1950's? It still relatively in scope and as you said, the Allies seem more restricted by public unwillingness to go to war with the Reich, so I don't think that changes anything significantly.

While everything you say regarding the Bomb is entirely true, and I am well aware of the failures of the German Atomic Weapons Program in OTL, You're saying that under the assumption that the Nazis completed their Atomic Bomb Project within a year's time, when in fact Project: Elektra had been underway for several years (1943ish), already by the later Summer of 1947, the Germans were however behind the Allied Program due to the fact they had to play catch up since the Allies had a head start on their own project, which is why it took over a year after TTL's version of the Trinity Test in New Mexico for the Germans to finish their first working Prototype of the Bomb, which they subsequently tested in the Arctic.

while I think the premise is a bit...Generic, I think is the best word, I do have to admit your writing has gotten better.

However...

Really? It looks fine to me and reads fine to me, I even used a grammar checker this time.

T
It is certainly hard to say that the Allies lost the War completely, the United States had thoroughly defeated the forces of the Empire of Japan in the Pacific, achieving their desired revenge for the Attack on Pearl Harbor, and the British had smashed Mussolini's forces in Africa, as well as pushing Petain's Vichy France out of her colonies in Africa and the Middle East, Nevertheless the enemy the Allies could not defeat was the German Reich, after years of being unable to make any gains against the Germans in Europe, the Allies were forced to bow out and make peace with the Reich after the Allied Governments had lost the political support to continue the War against the Germans, and even if the political support had been there for the Allies, a increasingly War Weary Populace, especially in the United States forced the hand of Washington and London in the end as the groups that supported continuing War with the Reich slowly lost public support as the War dragged on and more and more dead piled up with little to no gain, and even then, on the military side of the situation, the resources and men needed to invade and penetrate the Stronghold of German occupied Europe would have been years away from having, and even if the Allies were able to mount the resources needed to invade Europe there was no guarantee it would work due to the massive amount of veteran and combat experienced Heer and Waffen-SS Soldiers fresh from victory over the Russians, as well as the powerful air arm of the Wehrmacht, the Luftwaffe guarding Hitler's "Fortress Europe" from attack by the Reich's enemies, the Allies were basically boxed on regarding all their options in continuing the War with the remaining European Axis Powers, with the most radical option being to hinge the entire war effort against the Germans on a experimental super weapon that had been under development since 1943, a weapon that might not have even worked as the Allies hoped it would, or to continue a unpopular war and lose more lives in a endeavor that might not work, and thus in the end the Allied governments, not having the political capital to continuing the War decided to make peace with the Axis Powers, resulting in the Treaty of Geneva that ended the Second Great War and sealed German victory in Europe.

This is 400 words, and it is one sentence.