Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gian

Banned
Another update to my post-apocalyptic WIP map.

(One villain in particular, is a shout-out to the most powerful of the Fallen)

postapocalypseearth.png

Another update to my post-apocalyptic WIP map.

(One villain in particular, is a shout-out to the most powerful of the Fallen)

Gian, this is shaping up to be a good map, but I would appreciate if you stopped posting WIPs. They're pretty big, but without the impact of a finished map.

Oh, and a suggestion: the text in your key is quite small, and since this is already a large map, I think you could stand to make it bigger.

Greetings and salutations.

I seem to be in a bit of a creative slump, so it's going to be covers, alas, covers, for a little while. First, a cover of an old map by Sovereign12, https://www.alternatehistory.com/di...1097692&highlight=bavaria+leopold#post1097692

In this world Duke Joseph Ferdinand Leopold of Bavaria survives his bout of small pox and becomes King of Spain, instead of dying at age six. He consolidates his power and empire, but in the process manages to piss off pretty much everyone, and in the end a general european-wide war leads to the destruction and breakup of the Spanish Empire. Leo's children flee to America, but efforts to create a unified American empire founder on family squabbles.

Butterflies flap. The Manchu conquest of China goes sour, and a Latter Ming under a general with a very dubious geneology pushes them north of the Yellow River: this has long-term consequences, in that it makes the Manchu far more eager to gain foreign technology and know-how to compensate for their inferior numbers. Lithuania breaks with Poland and ends up dynastically unified with Russia.

A Bourbon ends up on the throne of Castile, and later on a unified Franco-Castilian empire allied(temporarily) to Portugal and the Mexican empire manages to beat the British to a draw in North America, although losing their share of the Spanish Netherlands to the Dutch (which nearly choke on it). This does not prove to be a long term benefit, since later on a republican movement arises in the Americas, and although the monarchy manages to throttle its European offshoot in the cradle, French America revolts and becomes the first Big Deal republic in this world.

The Latter Ming breaks up in civil war between multiple Heirs Presumptive and assorted generals. The Manchu stir the pot but watch and wait. Egypt breaks away from the Ottoman empire but Serbia fails to do the same. The Habsburgs, in the Second War of the Bavarian Succession, lose Silesia, but hold onto Leopold's homeland. France backs the Marathas against the British, and while they fail to hold more than a sliver of India, at least get some good schadenfreude. With no Napoleon rampaging here and there, Germany remains _very_ politically divided, and cautious liberal reforms happen that were supressed for decades OTL.

By 1909, although technology hasn't advanced much ahead of OTL (military tech is roughly comparable to OTL WWI), political radicalism has spread further and faster than OTL: the corrupt and repressive Russian Empire crumbled in revolution in 1889, and a radical leftist regime established what this world calls a national 'syndicate' in the ruins of Empire. However, the Syndicate has had a harder time than OTLs USSR: the civil war was longer and messier and much national territory was lost, and attempts to regain some of it led several neighboring states to dogpile Russia.

As of the "mud season" of 1909, fighting has stopped and an armistice in place; the fighting has been fierce and the Ottomans, Swedes and their allies are reluctant to continue bleeding to help out the Manchus, which are not official allies and whose brutality and totalitarian tendencies are well known: a peace treaty is in the works, although disagreements about the borders may yet restart the fighting (The Ottomans are very insistent on keeping a land link between their territories and the Federation of Turkestan, for one thing).

The Manchus hope to secure their heartland by pushing the Russians out of the entire TransBaikal area, and make of the Nihonese, like the Koreans, a puppet. The leadership may have bitten off more than they can chew, though...

Bruce

Last edited:
Munro, is heir assumptive something along the lines of heir presumptives or mutltiple heir apparents or is the difference that all those people lay claim to the crown after it was made available? And if you are in a slump I would suggest something local for Napoelonic Europe. Perhaps it is not the underdown of time periods, but I have recently learned that all annexations by France where labled as "reunion"s and I would like to see something from the middle of the war, in which there were still a multitude of states grabbing at each other's lands, republics trying to keep from being turned into Kingdoms, states trying to avoid economic strangulation. Just putting that out there. Or better yet the reorganizations of the Nazis or Nappy of the boundaries of bishoprics or a map showing the Catholic Church retaining more of it's many lands in Europe.

EDIT: Or Napoleon gets the job he wanted as the champion of the Caliph.

Last edited:
Bruce, this map is one of those maps I can look at for like twenty minutes, most likely even more - reading every single detail twice and staring in awe at such cool map. That's all I wanted to say :);)

Greetings and salutations.

I seem to be in a bit of a creative slump, so it's going to be covers, alas, covers, for a little while. First, a cover of an old map by Sovereign12, https://www.alternatehistory.com/di...1097692&highlight=bavaria+leopold#post1097692

In this world Duke Joseph Ferdinand Leopold of Bavaria survives his bout of small pox and becomes King of Spain, instead of dying at age six. He consolidates his power and empire, but in the process manages to piss off pretty much everyone, and in the end a general european-wide war leads to the destruction and breakup of the Spanish Empire. Leo's children flee to America, but efforts to create a unified American empire founder on family squabbles.

Butterflies flap. The Manchu conquest of China goes sour, and a Latter Ming under a general with a very dubious geneology pushes them north of the Yellow River: this has long-term consequences, in that it makes the Manchu far more eager to gain foreign technology and know-how to compensate for their inferior numbers. Lithuania breaks with Poland and ends up dynastically unified with Russia.

A Bourbon ends up on the throne of Castile, and later on a unified Franco-Castilian empire allied(temporarily) to Portugal and the Mexican empire manages to beat the British to a draw in North America, although losing their share of the Spanish Netherlands to the Dutch (which nearly choke on it). This does not prove to be a long term benefit, since later on a republican movement arises in the Americas, and although the monarchy manages to throttle its European offshoot in the cradle, French America revolts and becomes the first Big Deal republic in this world.

The Latter Ming breaks up in civil war between multiple Heirs Presumptive and assorted generals. The Manchu stir the pot but watch and wait. Egypt breaks away from the Ottoman empire but Serbia fails to do the same. The Habsburgs, in the Second War of the Bavarian Succession, lose Silesia, but hold onto Leopold's homeland. France backs the Marathas against the British, and while they fail to hold more than a sliver of India, at least get some good schadenfreude. With no Napoleon rampaging here and there, Germany remains _very_ politically divided, and cautious liberal reforms happen that were supressed for decades OTL.

By 1909, although technology hasn't advanced much ahead of OTL (military tech is roughly comparable to OTL WWI), political radicalism has spread further and faster than OTL: the corrupt and repressive Russian Empire crumbled in revolution in 1889, and a radical leftist regime established what this world calls a national 'syndicate' in the ruins of Empire. However, the Syndicate has had a harder time than OTLs USSR: the civil war was longer and messier and much national territory was lost, and attempts to regain some of it led several neighboring states to dogpile Russia.

As of the "mud season" of 1909, fighting has stopped and an armistice in place; the fighting has been fierce and the Ottomans, Swedes and their allies are reluctant to continue bleeding to help out the Manchus, which are not official allies and whose brutality and totalitarian tendencies are well known: a peace treaty is in the works, although disagreements about the borders may yet restart the fighting (The Ottomans are very insistent on keeping a land link between their territories and the Federation of Turkestan, for one thing).

The Manchus hope to secure their heartland by pushing the Russians out of the entire TransBaikal area, and make of the Nihonese, like the Koreans, a puppet. The leadership may have bitten off more than they can chew, though...

Bruce

Freaking Nice!

I totally forgot about this (Six years is a long time).
Love the rethink of this and, as always, the map is better than the original.

An old map that springs from one of my favorite Pods. Babur manages to hold Samarkand and builds a vast Central Asian Empire and following in the foot steps of Timur conquers Persia. With Persia not being Shia and with a massive new Persian Empire to the east Selim I turns west and invades southern Italy. The French and the Spanish both claim the kingdom of Naples and aren't interested in seeing it fall to the Ottoman Empire so they send troops to fight each other and the Ottomans. The Italians and the Germans join in on the fun, but there really isn't a unified crusade or anything like that with the Italians fighting the French, the French fighting the Spanish, and the Germans bizarrely capturing Rome and more or less sacking the city. In the end Naples and Sicily get conquered by the Ottoman Empire, but the Papal States are free of the Ottoman. That being said the Papal States have to deal with the Germans, French, and Spanish wanting to “protect” them.

After Babur dies, Persia more or less explodes in rebellion, but Humayun manages restore his rule over the Mughal Empire and then expand westwards. Humayun invades Egyptian Syria and then conquers the Levant and Egypt. Humayun will take on the title Caliph after unifying the majority of the Muslim world. He will work on cementing Mughal control of the empire and by the time he passes away his son ascends to the throne of a fairly stable and extremely powerful empire.

Sultan Suleiman of the Ottoman Empire invades and conquers Hungary and tries to take Vienna, but fails to take the city. Suleiman will wage war with the Mughal Empire trying to push them out of Anatolia, but he is never completely successful. He will conquer Rome, but fail to conquer the rest Italy or the rest of the papal states. The papacy is moved to northern Italy and the Austrian Habsburgs exert even more control over it.

The Reformation is a very different affair ITTL, with France setting up a the Gallican church which is more or less a French version of the OTL Anglican Church. England on the other hand is tied to the Habsburgs through Marriage alliances and Habsburg-Tudor children and stays Catholic. Scotland still goes ITTL version of Calvinist and looks to France for protection. Most of Germany stays Catholic and firmly under the thumb of the Habsburgs.

With Venice basically cut off from trade thanks to Ottoman control of the mouth of the Adriatic Sea the republic more an more becomes a creature of the Habsburg Empire which has become fat and wealthy thanks to its colonial empire in the Indian Ocean.

The map is of the year 1700.

Christian ottomans Mugahl Persia.png

Last edited:
My entry for the MOTF (crossposted):

OK, hi everyone. I've been quite unactive lately because of real-life stuff (mainly school), but I have managed to make a map. It only depicts a colony, so I'm not entirely whether it meets all requirements (Krall, just say so if it doesn't), but the colony is part of the biggest country in the world ITTL, namely the Netherlands. No, that's not because I'm Dutch, I've also made numerous Netherlands-screws, believe me.

Anyhow, the map is below. It shows Dutch Indochina, which officially is known as Viëtland, Tailand and Kambodia. Champa, Annam and Tonquin make up Viëtland, Tailand comprises Yunnan, Funnan, Lao and Siam, and only two states, Khmer and Quinam, form Kambodia. Formosa is illustrated as well, it's Dutch too, but it's not part of Dutch Indochina. The Netherlands possesses colonies in the part of Indonesia visible as well, but they are not shown. A detail is that most of Malaysia is colonised by Belgium. Yes, I know it might surprise you, but there's an independent Belgium ITTL (the Walloon areas, minus part of Walloon Brabant, plus Luxembourg and parts of northern France). The Netherlands comprises the original Dutch provinces together with many Flemish areas and former medieval states of the Holy Roman Empire that lie in OTL Germany, like Münster and Bentheim. Also, it has an immense world-wide empire, having colonised the southern cape of Africa, big parts of OTL Brazil, Novaya Zemblya, the Congo, spice islands in Asia, Indochina of course, and much more.

attachment.php

Sorry for posting again, but this is another map I just made. The year is 1817...

After decades of growing oppresion against the absolutist, autocratic and decadent rule of France, this culminated into a revolution that broke out in the late eighteenth century - just like in our world's history. But in 1800, when in our world's history the popular revolts had resulted in the start of a repubican, though unstable era of the French nation, this did not occur... Instead, the House of Wittelsbach that had recently been driven out of Bavaria by a small revolt, took power in France in the middle of the turmoil and upheaval. How this miracle happened has hugely complex origins, but the instable situation added to the promises of a moderate, democratic kingdom ruled by the people, not the king, created a tiny, almost impossible opportunity the Wittelsbachs grabbed. Once Charles Theodore had been crowned King of France, the Wittelsbachs helped the Bourbons to do the same thing in Spain. This surprsingly did not fail. Charles Theodore passed away in the spring of 1805. And in the same year, shortly after the unification of Germany, in which Bavaria and Brandenburg in the end gained most power - his son Max Christian, King of France, married Queens Maria Theresa of Spain (daughter of Maria Luisa of Spain), making both countries one single Kingdom, with the size of a giant empire. After the creation of the Kingdom of France and Hispania (or, more often, France-Spain), a decade of war started. However, this decade that shaped the appearance of the map of Europe contained a vast amount of fierce, though small and short wars. Remarkably, France-Spain managed to survive...

Greater France map.png

Status
Not open for further replies.