Jesus Walks: A History of the War on Terror, 1979-1992

The team might make it to Teheran, and they might seize or kill the Ayatollah, but they're probably not going to get out without a LOT of help, not if the helos have the same mechanical problems they did OTL. This is going to be nasty.

Not to mention that whacking a foreign head of state won't play well internationally. Carter will be all alone on this when it hits the fan.

Small change of plans; instead of doing it all in one shot, I'll be spreading out Operation Evening Light (OTL Eagle Claw) over a number of chapters, for a number of reasons.

First of all, I plan on fleshing out the action quite a bit. While I've been using a bit of a blended narrative style thus far, my depiction of Evening Light will be a fairly heterodox narrative style, following the operators as they carry out the mission. I simply don't feel that a pat 1-chapter summary of events will do justice to the unmitigated clusterfuck about to unfold.

Secondly, it will make it easier for me to write. I'll be able to release updates sooner than if I would have to sit down and write it in one monolithic chunk.

Not to mention that whacking a foreign head of state won't play well internationally. Carter will be all alone on this when it hits the fan.

What I expect would happen is that the Americans will try to play it like Khomeini wasn't the legitimate head of state, and that the Shah is still ruler of Iran. That probably won't play too well with the Chinese, though, considering their... situation.

So if a US-Soviet 'alliance' does come to fruition, does this mean that they could actually prevent the Mujaheddin from causing problems in Afghanistan?

Even without US aid, Afghanistan is still going to be a quagmire for Russia, just like it's been for every other country that's tried to take it. If the US doesn't supply aid to the mujaheddin, that probably just makes Afghanistan longer and bloodier, and probably butterflies away al-Qaeda to boot.

Even without US aid, Afghanistan is still going to be a quagmire for Russia, just like it's been for every other country that's tried to take it. If the US doesn't supply aid to the mujaheddin, that probably just makes Afghanistan longer and bloodier, and probably butterflies away al-Qaeda to boot.

Contrary to what some, focused on the short-term issue of preventing Soviet control of Afghanistan, might think at the time, such an outcome might well, in the long run, actually redound greatly to the benefit of the U.S. and its allies.

How would the Shah and his family fit in this TL? Any plans for them?

The Shah's death from cancer is already set in motion before the POD, so it still happens exactly as in OTL, July 27th 1980. As for his family, that will depend on how the occupation of Tehran goes. IOTL, the Shah's death was a moot point, since by then it was clear that the Islamists were in permanent control of the country, ITTL the US will probably attempt to install his widow, Farah Pahlavi, as Empress, if they even get to a stage where such a thing is feasible.

When will we see the first posting about Operation Evening Light. Also, think you should use Army Rangers instead, since this mission is riskier than IOTL.

The Shah's death from cancer is already set in motion before the POD, so it still happens exactly as in OTL, July 27th 1980. As for his family, that will depend on how the occupation of Tehran goes. IOTL, the Shah's death was a moot point, since by then it was clear that the Islamists were in permanent control of the country, ITTL the US will probably attempt to install his widow, Farah Pahlavi, as Empress, if they even get to a stage where such a thing is feasible.

In point of fact, the actual heir will be Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi, who is 19 at the end of 1979 (born October 31, 1960). He's probably of legal age under pre-revolutionary Iranian law - I don't know what it states on this point - to assume the title of Shahanshah (King of Kings) on the death of his father, so there'd be no need for Farah to establish a regency. How effective a 19-year-old college student can be as Shah under these circumstances, though, is very much an open question... (Interestingly, the Wikipedia article on him states that he's a deeply devout Shi'a; I don't know if this was the case in 1980, or if he acquired his faith later in life, but if this was so at this time ITTL, he might want to make serious efforts to reach out to the more moderate clergy on ascending the throne. Whether those efforts would succeed, though...)

Last edited:
When will we see the first posting about Operation Evening Light. Also, think you should use Army Rangers instead, since this mission is riskier than IOTL.

While this may have been proposed ITTL (and possibly IOTL as well), I think the decision was made to go with Delta because they're the elite of the elite, the most highly trained special-warfare operators the U.S. can field, and therefore, presumably - in the opinion of the mission planners at least - the troops with the best prospects of executing the mission successfully and making a successful exfiltration from the scene. The real question is whether the mission has been planned any more carefully than OTL. The fact that only 8 RH-53D helicopters are being used, as per OTL, does not exactly fill me with optimism; you will recall that the Desert One fiasco happened in consequence of two of the helos - the backup aircraft - experiencing severe mechanical problems before the force even got to its refuelling point. No guarantee that the choppers are in any better mechanical condition TTL.

What I expect would happen is that the Americans will try to play it like Khomeini wasn't the legitimate head of state, and that the Shah is still ruler of Iran. That probably won't play too well with the Chinese, though, considering their... situation.

I'm not sure the Europeans would go for that either - I don't think they'd agree that the United States can unilaterally decide who a country's legitimate government is. The post-colonial countries certainly will disagree, because that claim would be a license for almost unlimited American intervention in the developing world where irregular changes of government are common.

Carter can forget about any kind of retroactive international backing for Evening Light, and it will probably put a chill over relations with many of America's traditional allies. This could get very bad.

I'm not sure the Europeans would go for that either - I don't think they'd agree that the United States can unilaterally decide who a country's legitimate government is. The post-colonial countries certainly will disagree, because that claim would be a license for almost unlimited American intervention in the developing world where irregular changes of government are common.

Carter can forget about any kind of retroactive international backing for Evening Light, and it will probably put a chill over relations with many of America's traditional allies. This could get very bad.

This could also cause additional difficulties for Carter on the domestic front. The left/progressive wing of the Democratic Party would object, very loudly, and this could fuel Ted Kennedy's primary challenge to the President. Add to that a less-than-optimal outcome for Eagle Claw, and, well...

Expect Chapter 4 tomorrow. As for the operation, I'll be sticking as close as possible to the OTL details, so Delta stays.

Chapter 4

Chapter 4: The Highwayman

April 24, 1980; 2245 Hours (Local Time):
"This is Beckwith to Nimitz, Archibald, Archibald, Archibald."
Salty air washed across the deck of the U.S.S Nimitz while the men on the flight deck scrambled from point to point. The ship had just arrived in the Indian Ocean, having finished assisting the filming of The Final Countdown, a film about the Nimitz itself being transported back in time to the battle of Pear Harbor. The eight RH-53D Sea Stallion helicopters swayed with the boat, the crewmen swarming about them, fueling, inspecting, making final checks before the second phase of Operation Evening Light could begin. The men felt the time pressure mount as the appointed hour drew nearer, feeling an eye watching them through the inky black night.

Major General James B. Vaught stood on the bridge of the ship, watching operations on the flight deck below. He had intended to spend the final moments before the operation discussing contingencies with the rest of the Terrorist Action Team, and all were on the bridge, save for one.
"Where's Marcinko?" asked one of the TAT.

"He told me he wanted to observe final checks from the flight deck. He probably won't be joining us before we reach Benedict." replied General Vaught.

"I still can't believe you're allowing him to join in the actual mission itself. He's a commander for chrissake, can't he just let the field officers do their jobs?"

"He won't be going any farther than Desert One. He assured me of that."

"I don't understand. Why would he even want to go? Why not just observe the situation here, with us?"

"Because, he's not a desk jockey," the general replied, "he's a soldier."
---------------------------​

Richard Marcinko had always been a hands-on leader. He'd made a name for himself as a special forces commander in Vietnam, and even though he wasn't by nature a fit for the Navy's ordered hierarchy, his skills had commanded respect. Crewmen buzzed about him as he made his way across the deck, stopping to inquire about the progress of preparations, and occasionally say a few words to energize the crew. 'If this soldier business ever bottoms out', he thought to himself, 'I could probably make a living as a motivational speaker'.

Zero hour approaching, Marcinko approached the final helo, Bluebeard-1. One of the men near the chopper, a marine, saluted him.
"Commander Marcinko?" the marine asked.

Marcinko returned the salute and nodded. "And you?"

"First Lieutenant Montel Williams, sir. I've been assigned to supervise the marines piloting the helicopters on the trip to Desert One, sir."

"Very good. Will you be riding in this helo here?"

"Yes, sir. I will be coordinating my marines from Bluebeard-1." Williams replied.

"Excellent. I'll be joining you."
First Lieutenant Williams furrowed his brow in confusion. Marcinko extended his right hand.
"It's good to meet you, Lieutenant."

"Thank you, sir. It's good to meet you too, sir."
Williams extended his rand to return the handshake.
"Please, lieutenant, just call me Dick."

Up the stairs to the bridge, a seaman hauled a small, 20-inch CCTV and transmission equipment.

President Carter paced about the situation room of the White House, waiting for the video feed to the Nimitz to go live. He had dreaded this moment for months, but now that it was upon him, he felt an inexplicable calm. The whole situation felt unreal to him, like he was having a lucid dream from which he could not awake.
"Mr. President, we're about to get contact from the Nimitz." came a voice, seemingly from nowhere in particular.
Carter sat at the head of the situation room's table as the six-screen cluster at the end of the cramped room crackled to life.
"Good afternoon, Mr. President." said General Vaught through the monitor.

"Good evening to yourself." replied the President.

"We've received word from Beckwith that all objectives are complete at Desert One. The Delta Forces have been unloaded, and the fuel tanks and equipment are ready. We are go for Benedict. Requesting authorization to continue the operation, sir."

"Yeah, go ahead." Carter said vacantly.

"Mr. President?"

Carter snapped alert. "Sorry, general. You are authorized to begin Phase Benedict."

"Thank you, Mr. President."
General Vaught walked over to the captain's microphone.
"Attention all hands, this is your Joint Task Force Commander speaking. Benedict is go. I repeat, Benedict is go."
The flight deck crew unstrapped the helicopters from the deck as their pilots revved their engines to life. Commander Marcinko boarded Bluebeard-1 as its rotors began to spin. First Lieutenant Williams spoke into his radio:
"OK, boys, let's make this quick; I don't want to miss Johnny Carson."
The helicopters lifted off from the flight deck of the Nimitz, taking air into the dark, cloudy night.

"One kiss, my bonny sweetheart, I'm after a prize to-night,
But I shall be back with the yellow gold before the morning light;
Yet, if they press me sharply, and harry me through the day,
Then look for me by moonlight,
Watch for me by moonlight,
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though Hell should bar the way."

-Alfred Noyes​

Last edited:
Bonus Material 1: Richard Marcinko

9m8OxEy.jpg

Personnel Dossier: Richard 'Demo Dick' Marcinko

In our timeline, Richard Marcinko (pronounced mar-SINK-oh) was a special forces operator in Vietnam, who rose to prominence as a result of numerous successful operations he conducted. At the end of his tour of duty, he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Commander, and became a guiding force in American special forces post-Vietnam. He was appointed to be one of the Navy's two representatives to the Terrorist Action Team, and after OTL Operation Eagle Claw failed, he was appointed to create a full-time counter-terrorism team for the United States Armed Forces. The team he created would come to be known as SEAL Team Six.

Marcinko did not tag along on Operation Eagle Claw OTL. He does so here largely for dramatic purposes, and the roles he will play in this timeline could easily be filled by anonymous military personnel. While it's easy to imagine Demo Dick wanting to personally lead the operators in the field, command actually indulging this desire is a bit of a stretch. I beg the reader's patience with this literary indulgence, and promise that it will not seriously compromise the historical integrity of the timeline.

IOTL, Marcinko never achieved any higher rank than Commander, and bounced from spec ops project to spec ops project. His own biography explicitly depicts him as a bit of a loose cannon, butting heads with his superiors in the navy over his activites. The overall image of him is something of a micromanager, who was used to leading his team in the field and resisted every effort to keep him behind a desk. These would normally be significant obstacles to a military career, but Richard Marcinko was just that good at his job.

In the end, Marcinko retired from the military in 1989, and went on to make a living off of fictionalized biographies of his life. He currently owns a private security consulting firm in Washington DC. In 2009, Marcinko was the subject of a video game, titled Rogue Warrior. The game was a critical and commercial failure, and is generally considered to be one of the worst games ever made.

On a related note, the First Lieutenant Montel Williams of this chapter is that Montel Williams, of talk show fame. He was a marine, and was accepted to the US Naval Academy at Annapolis, where upon his graduation in 1980, he became the first black enlisted marine to complete and graduate both the Academy Prep School and Annapolis. He had always planned to return to the marines, but he was stricken ill due to an incorrectly administered immunization. ITTL, that mistake is butterflied away, and Montel rejoins the marines as he intended to.

Due to a sudden realization of error, I have revised Chapter 3 to contain a more historically accurate order of operations. Specifically, the jets fly from a base in Oman, not the Nimitz, and they carry the operators to Desert One. Only the helicopters take off from the Nimitz, and they do so empty. Also, just as an aside, the name "Desert One" would probably not have been used ITTL, since unlike OTL Eagle Claw, there is no site designated Desert Two.

Last edited:
Chapter 5

Chapter 5: All Along the Watchtower

April 24, 1980; 2330 Hours (Local Time):

After flying over the ocean, the helicopters finally reached the shore of Iran. Still, they were a considerable distance from Desert One. It was soon after making landfall that the first problem began.
"Bluebeard command, this is Bluebeard 6, over." crackled over the radio.
First Lieutenant Montel Williams picked up his radio mic.
"Bluebeard 6, this is Bluebeard command, what seems to be the situation, over."

"Our sensors seem to be indicating that we've got a cracked rotor blade. We're gonna need to make an emergency landing to inspect the damage." the pilot replied.

"Roger that, Bluebeard 6. Bluebeard 8, do you copy, over"

"Bluebeard command, this is Bluebeard 8, I copy, over"

"Bluebeard 8, I want you to stay with Bluebeard 6 while it makes its inspections. In the event that Bluebeard 6 is unflyable, you will transport its crew to Desert One, over."

"Roger that. See you at Desert One, Bluebeard command. Bluebeard 8 out."
Williams returned the microphone to its hook.
"Cracked rotor blade?" Marcinko inquired, "Shouldn't the flight crew have caught something like that?"

"Yeah, they should have." Williams replied. "We should have waited longer. Given the final checks more time. [expletive redacted]"

"Let's give the situation time. For all we know it's just an instrumentation issue. We can't evaluate the situation with incomplete information."

"But what if it's real?"

"We only need 4 helos to complete the mission, going strictly to plan."

"I know, it's just... it's a bad omen."

"Superstitious, Lieutenant?"

"No, not like that. I mean, if the flight crew missed something like a blade about to crack, what else did they miss?"

Colonel Charles Alvin Beckwith paced about the Iranian highway that served as Desert One's landing strip. He'd received word of the issues with Bluebeard 6, and was contemplating backup plans with a quiet furor. 'There should have been more contingencies', he thought, 'we counted on too much to go perfectly, and now it's hit the fan before the helos are even here'.

Beckwith was a man much like Marcinko. He too rose to prominence as a special forces operator in Vietnam, surviving injuries that would have killed lesser men. Twice his doctors wrote him off as beyond aid, and twice he recovered with speed. After Vietnam, he campaigned for the creation of a US military unit styled after the British SAS. Despite initial resistance from higher-ups, the unit was eventually created, christened the Delta Force. Delta was Beckwith's baby, and Evening Light would be its first real test.

Deep in thought, Beckwith didn't notice a man walk up to him.
"Charlie, we need to talk." said Marine Colonel Edward R. Seiffert.

Bluebeards 6 and 8 were landed near each other, alone, in the cold, dark desert, the other helicopters having continued on to the rendezvous site.
"Yeah, it's a crack." the engineer of Bluebeard 6 said. "Damnit."
-------------------------​
"We've just received word from Bluebeard command," Seiffert said, "Bluebeard 6 is non-operational. We're down to seven helos for the op."

"Losing one isn't a mission-ender, we're still go, even if we only have seven. I don't know what needs to be discussed." Beckwith replied.

"If we lose more, we're going to need to seriously consider scaling back the operation."

"What do you mean, scale it back?"

"There may not be enough room on my helos for all your men. I can't compromise the weight, it'll throw off the fuel calculations."

"You can't be serious," Beckwith replied, "Sending less men is not an option. We're running this op with a minimal number of forces as it is, and you're suggesting we send less?"

"It may be necessary if we lose more helos."

"Well then, Seiffert, we better not lose any more helos."

The remaining Bluebeards continued their trek across the Iranian desert, every moment closer to their objective and the completion of Benedict. The pilots were growing tired, and many failed to notice the unexpected phenomenon growing at the horizon.

In Iran, as with most desert areas, there is the weather formation known as the haboob. When a thunderstorm dissipates in a desert, it will frequently create a sandstorm, wherein sand particles suspend to a milky consistency in the air. Haboob winds can be very fast, reaching speeds of up to 100 km/h (60 mph), and frequently approach with little warning. The storm walls are frequently very tall, sometimes several kilometres in height. The Bluebeards simply didn't have enough time to get out of its way.
"Commander!" the pilot of Bluebeard 1 shouted back from the cockpit, "We appear to be in some kind of sandstorm!"
Lieutenant Williams made his way up to the cockpit. "What? How did this happen? Didn't we have a weather report?"
"Report only said there would be a thunderstorm, but it was over before we ever took off!"​

"~~This is Bluebeard 5! Come in Bluebeard command! Over!~~" came in scratchily over the radio.​

Williams picked up the mic. "This is Bluebeard command, I read you, over."​

"Our instrumentation is freaking out, and our visibility is nil! I repeat, visibility is nil! We have to turn back, over!"​

"I copy, you cannot orient yourself at all, is that correct, over."​

"We can't see [expletive redacted]! If we don't turn back we're going to crash! Over!"​

"Roger that, Bluebeard 5. Return to base. Bluebeard command out." Williams placed his mic back on the hook.​

"And then there were six."​
"That was Bluebeard command," Seiffert said, "Bluebeard 5 is headed back to the Nimitz. It's time to talk contingencies."
Beckwith rubbed his temples. He wondered how many more helicopters would be lost before the mission proper would even begin.

President Carter splashed water in his face in the bathroom of the White House basement. He wondered if he had just gambled away the presidency on a doomed mission. All of the things he had wanted to accomplish yet, everything left undone to satisfy the partisans, every safe decision he made to not compromise his already weak public image, all of it rushed through his mind at once, like a bomb exploding in his head.​

He had compromised his values ordering the raid, and the thought that turning against everything he'd stood for wouldn't even pay off killed him inside. He wondered if he had been put in the situation to be tested by God. He had been tempted with the chance at another term, or at least to leave America a better place than he found it, but to do it he had to surrender to the warmongers.​

One of his aides stepped into the bathroom.​
"Mr. President, General Vaught wants to speak with you. He says Benedict is complete and Chesapeake is go; and he wants to discuss adjustments to the operation."​
The president stared into his reflection in the mirror.
"Tell the general I'll just be a moment."​

General Vaught and the Terrorist Action Team watched the monitor as President Carter returned to his seat, visibly distraught.
"Welcome back, Mr. President," the general said, "As I presume you have been informed, stage Benedict is complete and our forces have commenced stage Chesapeake. So, we now have approximately 1 hour to make changes to the plan before we can initiate Detroit."​
"What are your thoughts, general?"

"Our field commanders on the ground are currently discussing how we'll solve the problem of only having five helos for the opera-"​

"I'm sorry," the president interrupted, "there must have been a glitch in the transmission, because it sounded like you just said we only have five helicopters."​

"You heard correctly, Mr. President. We have only five. Bluebeard 2 is stricken with hydraulics issues that render flying it unacceptably risky."​

"Were there not supposed to be spare parts carried along?"​

"They were on Bluebeard 5, Mr. President."​

Marcinko entered the command tent at Desert One. The canvas tent was lit by a single naphtha lamp on a table in the middle. On opposite sides of the table, Charlie Beckwith and Edward Seiffert were engaged in a heated argument.
"Five is unacceptable!" Beckwith said.​
"We can't fly Bluebeard 2, the slightest mechanical failure could send it tumbling from the sky!" Seiffert replied.

"Gentlemen, can we have some calm?" said Marcinko.​
The two looked at him, suddenly aware of his presence. Both stood at attention and saluted.
"Sir!" they both said in unison.​
"What's the situation, men?" Marcinko asked.

"We can only safely fly five helos, commander. Mission spec calls for an abort if less than six airworthy helos are available." Seiffert replied.​

"Mission spec is flexible." said Marcinko. "Now, I need to get in contact with command, where's your radio?"​
"Mr. President," said General Vaught, "We've got communications in from Desert One. It's Commander Marcinko. We're putting him on speaker."

"Hello, Command? This is Marcinko."

"Hello, commander" Carter said.

"Oh! Hello Mr. President, wasn't expecting to hear you."

"What's the situation at Desert One, commander?" asked General Vaught.

"While I feel for Colonel Beckwith, Colonel Seiffert is right. We can't send out Bluebeard 2. We've lost enough helos tonight, we don't need to lose one full of America's finest soldiers too."

"So you're recommending an abort, commander?" the General asked.

"No, I'm recommending a change to the mission spec."

"What do you have in mind, Commander Marcinko?" asked the President.

"The current spec calls for over half our forces to secure the city block surrounding Jackpot's residence to give us time to capture, subdue, and retrieve him."

"Are you suggesting what I believe you're suggesting, commander?" asked the general.

"I could be all diplomatic about this, but I'll just be straight. 5 helos isn't enough to capture Jackpot. But it's enough to kill him." Marcinko replied.
There was silence.
"General Vaught, what do you think about this proposal?" asked President Carter.

"Actually, Mr. President, I was thinking the same thing."
Carter cradled his head in his hands, staring down at the table.
"Are you alright, Mr. President?" asked Vaught.
Carter looked up at the monitor.
"Make it so."

"Yes, Mr. President."

"If I could have one request," Marcinko said, "I want to accompany the soldiers for the raid."

"Marcinko, you're a commander. You're too valuable to send on this mission." said Vaught.

"We're down to so few operators, we need every edge we can get. You know my record, you know what I can do."
The general rubbed his temples.
"Fine. Just, be safe."

"Will do, general."

"Detroit is go. Godspeed, commander."

"Roger that, Command. Desert One out."

"'No reason to get excited', the thief he kindly spoke
'There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late'."

-Bob Dylan​

Last edited:
"Make it so."

The day the United States broke the Westfalian system of states in order to go on a Crusade. There's a political field day here for the Western European left in the 1980s.

yours,
Sam R.

One question, or maybe really two: Why would full-bird colonels salute a commander (equivalent to lieutenant colonel)? Whatever his record and reputation, Dick Marcinko isn't actually in command of the operation - I think you might be confusing commander (the naval rank) with commander (the role); he's a member of the TAT, overseeing the operation, but I don't think he's in the direct line of command. And didn't he give his word to General Vaught back on ship that he wouldn't go any further than Desert One?

Otherwise, very good. OTL, of course, they decided to abort at Desert One when they got down to six helicopters; the actual catastrophe came when two of the refueling planes (either two C-130's, or one of the refuelers and a helicopter) collided when the team was getting ready to return to base. Here, under Marcinko's influence, they've decided to press on and just go straight for the jugular, i.e., kill the Ayatollah. With the Rogue Warrior in charge, they really just might be able to do that...whether they can get out again...who can say? I guess this is where we find out if Richard Marcinko is really all that his reputation, especially as promoted by himself in later days OTL, makes him out to be...

The day the United States broke the Westfalian system of states in order to go on a Crusade. There's a political field day here for the Western European left in the 1980s.

yours,
Sam R.

You assume that this conversation will ever be made public. I sincerely doubt that SEAL Team Six ever intended to take bin Laden alive, but their mission spec officially was capture or kill.

One question, or maybe really two: Why would full-bird colonels salute a commander (equivalent to lieutenant colonel)?

Oops.

Whatever his record and reputation, Dick Marcinko isn't actually in command of the operation - I think you might be confusing commander (the naval rank) with commander (the role); he's a member of the TAT, overseeing the operation, but I don't think he's in the direct line of command.

I guess the idea is that he's directly overseeing the operation for the TAT. I'll admit that I goofed here.

And didn't he give his word to General Vaught back on ship that he wouldn't go any further than Desert One?

Change of plans. Again, I don't want Demo Dick's involvement to be too much of a distraction, I'm mostly using him so there can be a consistent perspective character for Evening Light. He's not gonna go Rambo and save the whole op, that's for sure.

I guess this is where we find out if Richard Marcinko is really all that his reputation, especially as promoted by himself in later days OTL, makes him out to be...

That was a concern of mine in writing this bit. I've done research on Marcinko, the problem is that most of what we know about him comes from his own accounts; and the follow-up books to Rogue Warrior are straight-up fiction, which I find concerning.