Hammer's, Sickle's, and Mushroom Clouds. the Story of the Reverse Cold War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks man, through am I doing good with the parallels?

I think you're doing good. Some are obvious (Adolf the German bulldog what :D), while others are more subtle.

I would guess that while St. Louis is the Stalingrad analogue, Ottawa (or Albany) is the Kiev-equivalent where large formations of the American Red Army were surrounded and lost to Ze Nazis. Also, East Africa = North Africa, with the Germans winning (despite losing elsewhere) and Rommel being the O'Connor/Gott/Monty figure.

Say, will there be a Philippines/Singapore-esque epic fail moment for the good guys ITTL? And maybe Semyon Budyonny as TTL's Dugout Doug? :p

Marc A

Disclaimer: I would like to thank the lovely Miss Gwendolyn (Turqouise Blue) for posting this for me without her, this update would not be possible.

Sincerely
MissWhatsittoya

"I command to you soldiers of the German Army, if your Kaiser and Chancellor are willing to stay here in the ruin of a city we call a capital, and fight side by side and be willing to die alongside you, the common soldier, shouldn't you be willing to not only die, but live for your Reich? we're being enclosed on, but what makes us weaker, makes us more determined to live, now, Go out there and send the Fascist Devils back to Paris"
Reinhard Heydrich, 1943

Chapter 8: February 2nd, 1943-June 6th, 1944
World War II
For Live, Liberty, and CHOCHOLATE!!!

images

There Loss at the Battle of St.Louis would be a turning point for the French in America, the 6 month battle turned into demoralizing meaning for the French, As the battle would be one of the bloodiest battles in all of the war, some in the French Army wondered why there bothered going to St. Louis, instead of bombing the city and bypassing it, however, no one dared to question the First Citoyen, Jean Claude Geymere, or they might get sent to a "reeducation camp" in the Algerian desert. ethier way, there still was a war to be fought, the Red Army however was getting stronger every day. and the force of America would soon be brought down on the Fascists of Paris. the 5.5 Million Red Army troops, both men and women, would begin to attack back the French, and take the East Coast of the UASR back, bit by bit..

images

The Red Army at the Battle of Chattanoga, circa 1943

As St.Louis ended, action reflared up in the Tennesee and Virginian fronts, as the demoralized French were attacked by a new offensive by the reenergized Red Army. Operation: Smoked Viking would press on the French frontline in Virginia and Tenneseee, The Battle of Chattanogga (February 15th-February 26th, 1943) and the Battle of Newport News (February 23rd-February 29th, 1943) would be prime examples of this, the French had overextended themselves, and were suffering morally due to the loss at St.Louis, and the news of stalemate coming from Europe, while the Red Army was reenergized thanks to a combination of the victory at St. Louis, and pure propoganda thanks to said victory, the Second Battle of Richmond (March 17t-March 26th, 1943) would also prove to be another victory for the Red Army, who soon began pushing on all fronts. by late July the French had been pushed back to the Ohio River. and there defensive posistions along the Ohio were sooned threatend by the Red Army and the Red Air Force. the First Battle of the Ohio River (August 3rd-August 10th, 1943) would prove to be a pyhrric victory for the French, who held onto the River, but suffered immense casualties in attempting to hold the River from the Red Army, who made another crack at it a week later in the Second Battle of the Ohio River (August 18th-September 1st, 1943) which a bloody battle for both sides, would result in the American reclaimation of the Ohio. the French begin to try and grind hold to there posistion on the Great Lakes as 1944 approached, the latter months of 1943 would prove to be a grind for both sides, with the Americans fighting to reclaim every single inch of the UASR, and the French fighting to hold on to every inch. the Americans would make rapid advances into the Great Lakes region and Pensylvania in the late months of 1943, including facing the French off at Gettysburg, (September 21st-28th, 1943) before reclaiming Harrisburg, the American advance would stall temporarily near the end of they year, as the French would remain in total control of the Great Lakes, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and much of Northern Pennsylvania. as 1944 arrived, there tenuious posistion would be fragile, as the ever advancing Red Army marched rapidly.

images

A German Panzerkorp during the Battle of Berlin, circa 1943

Meanwhile back in Europe. the French would turn there eye to a new target, soon the ever neutral beacon of Democracy in Europe would be threatend, next on the French hitlist.. The Swiss....[1], Switzerland had long held it's system of Armed Neutrality, ever since the Napoleonic Wars when it was invaded by you guessed it, the French, Switzerland had been a base for espionage between the Axis and the Allies, and a place the Nasi's could store tons of gold, but Geymere felt it was time to wipe the Swiss off the map, thus he, along with other Axis Leaders, Josef Leopold and Benito Mussolini, drew up the plans for the invasion of Switzerland, known as Operation: Cheese and Chocholate. the invasion called for it to began with a intense bombing campaign of Major Swiss cites, such as Geneva, Bern, and the capital Zurich, followed by a two pronged invasion of the Switzerland into the Central Plains, avoiding both the Jura Mountains in the North and the Alps in the South. mainly by French troops, but supported by elements of the Austrian, Italian, Saxon and Bavarian armies.

images

The French Equipeavaiation Forces over Geneva, circa 1943

Operation: Cheese and Chocholate was launched on February 29th, 1943, it began with the French and Austrian Air Forces beginging a intense bombing campaign of the Major Swiss Cites, this obviously caught the Swiss off guard, as there neutrality had just been shot to hell and back, once more, by the French, in the intital hours of the Operation, the Capital, Zurich, along with the economic centers of Bern and Geneva, suffered intense damage in the inital bombing campaign by the Axis, then the French 11th and 10th Armies moving in from the South, supported by the Italian 5th Army, and the French 7th Army in the North, supported by the Saxon 1st and Austrian 10th, would begin invading the Swiss Plateau, and Switzerland itself, as there neutrality had been officaly violated. Swiss Minister-President Oskar Leimgruber officaly passed the act of the Declaration of War against the Axis Powers through Swiss Parliament and Switzerland joined the Allied Powers that day. the Swiss Army itself was reletively well armed and disiplined, but Switzerland itself had not fought in a war since the 1810's, most of it's Military Commanders were not adept to fighting a modern war, while the Swiss Military was a trained fighting force, no one in Switzerland had seen actual combat since 1815. and while the Axis Armies were weakening, they were still one of the most capable fighting forces on Earth, the Swiss having heart and determination, attempted to fight off the Axis invasion, however the Capital would fall a month into the invasion in the First Battle of Zurich "March 27th-April 5th, 1943), and the Swiss government would capitulate a week later. the Swiss Plateau was under complete Axis occupation, and the Swiss goverment had capitulated, a Swiss Government-In-Exile was established in Stockhom, and Switzerland itself would be partitioned between the Axis powers, with the French part being annexed by France, the Italian Part by Italy, and the German part annexed by the Rhineish Republic, throug under French military occupation, the Jura Mountains and the Alps through, became the base of the large Swiss Partisan movement, who continued to wage a guerilla war for the rest of the war against Switzerland's occupiers.

images

Scene infront of the Brandenburg Gate in downtown Berlin, home to some ferious fighting furing the Battle of Berlin.

Meanwhile on the German Front, the French and Austrians would finally get what they wanted, the brokethrough the Defensive line around Berlin, and soon, a Battle was iminent, the German Army lead by a young ambitious commander named Reinhard Heydrich [2] prepared, and the Axis armies would reach the outskirts of Berlin in Mid June, and thus, finally. the Battle of Berlin (June 25th-September 29th, 1943) had begun. the fighting began on the outskirts in the Burbs around Berlin itself, the German hold on these areas became strainuous, and the skirmish in the outskirts of the German Capital City would be bloody, as the French and Austrians fought to push for Downtown Berlin. the situation in Germany had reached the point much like it did in the UASR, as they began arming anyone who could carry a rifle, including women, as Chancellor Hitler and Kaiser Wilhelm III, who remained in the city despite the beginging of the battle, ordered the same as Brussells had done in the UASR, The Battle of Berlin would replicate much like the Battle of St. Louis had, St. Louis taught the French they needed a better weapon for closer quarters battle, this led to the development of the first Assualt Rifle. the FDA43 (
Fusil d'Assaut Model 1943)[3] had begun development after St. Louis, and by the Battle of Berlin, special units had begun carrying the weapon. the Germans noticed these weapons, and many members of the Heer inside Berlin began using them over there MP-40's. or in combination with there MP-40's. the Battle of Berlin would be highlighted by stench urban warfare, as the French and Germans fought for every street, every block, every apartment building within Berlin. the Kaiser and Chancellor remained in the city[2], armed, willing to die with there soldiers, as the "Old German Bulldog" Adolf Hitler commanded troops at the Reichstag, and helped defend it from a French offensive. the Battle of Berlin would be the Bloodiest Battle of the European Front, As Berlin was turned into Hell on Earth, however the fact that the Chancellor and Kaiser were willing to fight and die side by side with the common Private, was a huge moral booster for the Germans, and would be enough to push them over the edge, the Bloody Battle of Berlin would end after 3 months of bloody warfare in the streets of Berlin, in a German victory, the victory in Berlin would be a huge moral booster to German troops all around Europe and Africa, and a huge turning point in the war.

images

French tank corps during the Battle of Berlin, circa 1943

Meanwhile, through all of this, Russia had remained the neutral, the struggling Republic had remained neutral due to a weak and fragile state it suffered in since the Russian Civil War, and then the Depression, which hit it hard. President Leon Trotsky had spent since 1932 reparing the Russian economy, however by 1943, the Russian public was getting restless, and many thought it might be time to rethink the neutrality of Russia. which had supplied funding to help keep the German War Machine alive during the war so far, the Capitulation of Switzerland brought the Russian public even more weary towards staying neutral, the last straw would be broken by Bulgaria. who on July 1st, 1943, commenced and invasion of the Neutral Ottoman Empire. forcing them to join the war as well, seeing this a direct threat close to Russia's borders. the Neutral Russians finally broke, and on July 5th, 1943, The Russian Duma unainimously agreed to declare war on the Axis Powers. the Russian mobilization proved to be slow however, as it took about a month for Russia to be ready to fight. the First Russian troops would be deployed to help the Ottomans, who had lost in Constantinople (July 9th-July 16th, 1943) and had been pushed into Anatolia by joint Austro-Bulgar armies. the Russians would prove to be helpful for the struggling Ottomans, as the front in Anatolia began to turn in favor of the Russo-Ottoman forces, through the Axis still held Constantinople strong as 1944 came around, the Russians began increasing funding the the Germans and the UASR, and on January 1st, 1944, the first meeting of the Allied Leaders (Brussells, Hitler and Trotsky) happend at Yalta, in which the three outlined the plan for the Post-War situation.

images

Japanese troops during the Invasion of Indochina, 1943

Things in Africa remained quiet during 1943 and early 1944, through the Germans began regaining ground lost in Kamerun, Erwin Rommel and Albert Speer began pushing back the French and Italians in East Africa even further as the year waned. and the Italian frontline in East Africa had been pushed back to a highly defended strip going across the border. including most of the North Eastern Province of German Kenya. General Albert Speer had pushed back French forces in the West, and began pushing into the French occupied parts of the German Congo. things in Asia would also heat up as well, seeing this a chance to grab more territory for itself, Japan declared war on France, and invaded French Indochina. the invasion was over in a month, as French Indochina was lightly defended, and fell easily to the Japanese Army, who then moved on to the East Indies, ruled by a French puppet in Amsterdam. the Indonesian Campaign would prove to be a grind through, as Indonesia would break out into full blown Civil War, with the Japanese sometimes having to defend themselves against the French, the Dutch, and the Indonesian rebels.

Things in North America began to be dire for the French as 1944 began, the Americans broke through French defensive lines in Ohio and Pennsylvania, the Battle of The Great Lakes (January 15th-March 19th, 1944) was a two month campaign by the Americans to recapture the Great Lakes on the American side. the campaiagn would prove to be relentlessly bloody, as the French had fell into dire straits, desperation had set in, as the French fought to hold onto every last inch of ground. the Americans fought to gain every last inch of ground, the campaign would end in March with the dislodgment of the French from the former American side of the Great Lakes. through the Canadian side remained in French control, as June approached, the French still remained in control of much of Europe. they were however being pushed back in North America, hold strainuous control to most of New England and the St. Lawrence, losing in Africa. however, the turning point would be soon, and the downfall of the Greater French State built up by Geymere, would soon. begin. with a fight.... on a beach....

[1] I hate Cliches like this gosh darn it, the Swiss are apparntly "Super Duper Uninvadable Magic Spell" uninvadable, I didn't want to be cliche, so I thought, what could I do? and I thought... how about have Switzerland get invaded? that's original, right? so I went with it. hope you enjoy the Swiss getting invaded for once
[2] OTL Nazi Politican Insert Alert. :p
[3] OTL STG-44 Analouge, through the STG itself will be invented here soon

Next Time on the Reverse Cold War
June 6th, 1944 to January 1st, 1945
Ive Got my Toes in the Sand, Ive Got a Cold Beer in my Hand, Ive Got a War on my Home Front and Im Not Feeling Too Good, Life is Good Today, Life is Good Today

TB also got herself kicked. So may I again offer my services to update this TL?

Bump!

EDIT: I duly apologize for not using the correct gender.

Last edited by a moderator:
YES! MissWhatsittoya has hired me for updates, I will get sent a PM "later today", and I will update either today (if the PM arrives before 0:30 a.m. Berlin Time) or tomorrow (if the PM gets to me after 0:30 a.m. Berlin time)

But: Miss will marry soon, and then be off for a week for honeymoon. The Cold War will only start on the 20th of February!

Thanks to MissWHatsittoya for hiring me for this job, so that I can make my 1000th post (which earns me the "valued contributor" status) one with content!

"The Wrath of the Hammer shall make the French regret ever invading us."
George S. Patton

Chapter 9: June 6th, 1944-January 1st, 1945
World War II
The Wrath of the Iron Hammer
images

The Axis posistion in late 1944 proved to be a tenuious one, as while they still held much of Europe, the Germans had finally gotten themselves together, the Bulgars would fuck up by bringing Russia into the war, things would begin to turn for France and her allies as the time would prove to go by, the French had been dislodged from the Great Lakes earlier in the year, and there front in New England was proving fragile as the days passed. there posistion in Africa soon weakend also. as they held a strainuous hold on the occupied parts of German colonies, Axis presence in Asia was almost non-exsistent at this point, Geymere and his cronies in Paris would soon have to face there medicine. as the Allies continued advancing on all fronts.
images

American and French tanks engaging in Spain
in North America, the French were holding a tight hold on what territory they had left, but a reenergized Red Army was quickly pushing the French Army back as the days passed by, and soon desperation would kick in full force for France, they burned anything, everything, they could be of use to the Red Army, even the smallest of things, much like they had when Operation: Charlamage began back in 1941. however it proved to be too no avail, as American factories were in full force once again and the Red Army was on the move. Operation: Dropkick would begin in July 1944 as the Americans began a push into New England, the initial advances were held by by the French Army, but the Americans would break through at the Battle of Atlantic City (July 29th-August 9th, 1944) allowing a breakthrough into New York, the French had turned New York City into a Fortress, and New York being captured would allow the Americans easy accsess into pushing into the rest of French occupied America, the Americans began planning dilligently, and soon began preparing for a bloody battle. Operation: Snafu would be launched in early September of 1944. and so the Battle of New York commenced (September 1st-October 6th, 1944) Would be one of the bloodiest battles of the war, as the French despertley tried to hold the city against the American offensive. the Americans would be bogged down in the Metropolitan streets of New York as the French engaged them with Assualt Rifles, and the American Sub Machine Guns performing poorly against the longer ranged Rifles, Long Island, Manhattan, all of New York would be turned into Ruins by the end of the Battle. when the Americans finally brorakethrough and captured Long Island on October 4th, 1944. the loss at New York effectivly curbed any further French resistence against the Red Army in North America, as the rest of New England was recaptured bit by bit as 1945 rolled around. remaining French Resistence was mostly centered in Quebec, Labrador and Northern Ontario by 1945. however the Americans had soon felt it was time to deal with the French on the French's turf.
images

A German Panzer attacking a French posistion in Saarbrucken.
Meanwhile in Europe, the entry of Russia into the war proved a boost to German morale, along with the victory in Berlin. rallied the formally morale drained German Army back against the French and Austrians. after the Battle of Berlin, the encirclement of the capital was gone, and soon the Germans began pushing back on all fronts, the much more overextended French proved easier to push back, as the Germans began fighting on the offensive for the first time during the war, the Austrians would prove a little more difficult to crack, but the cracks in all the Axis Powers were showing. the latter months of 1944 showed the Germans pushing the French back across Prussia and the other German States. the Battles of Annhalt (July 19th-July 29th, 1944) and Mecklenburg (August 7th-August 17th, 1944) showed the strength of the advancing German Army and the weakness in the Retreating French, who tried to hold on to every last inch of land, French and German Armies again clashed in Bremen (August 29th-September 6th, 1944) as the Germans advanced towards Hamburg, the French would prove hard to dislodge from Hamburg through, as the fortified city, while having sustained a French Siege in 1941, and now a German one in 1944, was a strategic city in a tough location, making it diffucult for the Germans to initially gain ground, through the French Armies in Hamburg would capitulate in October, with French forces in Schelswig-Holstein fighting for ground into the new year of 1945. the Germans would continue pushing across Prussia, and had begun overrunning the Austrian puppet states of Saxony and Bavaria, who were slowly collapsing by the time 1944 ended, and 45 came around, and the Germans were slowly pushing deeper into them. and then into Austria, meanwhile the overextended French continued to get beat in battle after battle, as December 1944 neared, the Germans were eagerly close to the Rhine, the French attempted to make a defensive posistion along the Rhine River, but to no avial, after a Bloody Battle along the Rhine River (December 17th-December 29th, 1944) The Germans and Russians would on December 30th, cross the Rhine River into France itself. which had been being relentlessly bombed by Allied Aircraft since mid 1944. including the French Capital of Paris itself some. the French had begun to fall into desperation, the iminent fall was on it's way. through Jean-Claude Geymere continued to believe firmly that they would win the war. even through the odds were against them.
Speaking of France, in mid 1944. several French Generals, including famous French General Jean de Lattre de Tassigny, Conspired to kill Geymere and overthrow the Nasi Government, known as Operation: Hawkeye [1], it almost succeded, but would end up falling in the end, and Tassigny would be forced to commit suicide.
images

Last Known Photo of the First Citoyen of France, Jean-Claude Geymere, 1945
The Antolian Front would prove to be a remarkable turn of events for the Ottomans, the entry of Russia would prove to be a kickstart in the Ottoman Advance, who began pushing back the Bulgarians as the months dragged on, the Bulgarians fought relentlessly against the Allies, but sheer numbers would win the end, the Second Battle of Constantinople (October 1st-October 11th, 1944) would result in the Ottoman reclaimation of the city, and the Campaign into Bulgaria, the Bulgar Army was by far the weakest of the four main Axis Powers. and thus, they would begin collapsing by this time, as the French tried to keep order in Bulgaria, but the Russians and Ottomans slowly marched towards Sofia. it seemed one of the Axis Powers was on the downfall. and soon. the Romanians and Serbs would also rise up again, as the writing was soon on the wall for them, they soon began causing the Austrians trouble, and with the slow collapse of Bulgaria to the South, holding there tight grip on Serbia and Romania, Nationalist sentiments in the many states of the Empire began to grow, as the now fragile power would soon feel the wrath,
images

A Red Army Artillery Group firing on French Soldiers, 1944
Elsewhere in Europe action would pick up. the Americans had been meticulously planning to strike at the heart of France, this cultimated in Operation: Iron Hammer, which detailed the invasion of France through the South, by invading Spain and then Marching into France. Operation: Iron Hammer commensced on October 1st, 1944.. as elements of the Red Army and the Union Marines landed on the Beaches of Spain. Red Navy deployments had been dispatched to the various islands owned by Spain, the Red Army also invaded Morocco and Spanish Sahara in the meantime, all of these were taken without much resistence from Axis forces, the Invasion into Spain would also prove to go swimingly as well. Franco-Spanish armies would attempt to hold off the ever advancing Red Army, but prove to be inefficent against the Americans, who had brute numbers and morale on there side, the demoralized Axis armies fought to keep a hold onto Europe, would prove to be a futile one, The Battle of Madrid (December 1st-December 18th, 1944) would prove to be the collapse of Axis control in Spain, as the people rose up against the Axis pupept regime of Francisco Franco, and greeted the Americans as liberators, a temporary Spanish government was set up by Washington, the Americans had also seized Morocco and Spanish Sahara during the African campaign of Operation Overlord without much trouble, as Spanish resistence there was small. and the Moroccans were eager to help the Americans, hoping that Washington would give them independence, the Americans began insurcions into French Algeria, unbeknowist to them, held dark secrets. and in Europe, crossed the Spanish-French Border, Paris was in the Red Army's sights.
The Fronts in East Africa and the German Colonies would also see change, the situation in Europe and North America would radically change things in Africa, the Germans would push the Italians out of German East Africa in the Hunderhoffen Offensive of 1944, led by Erwin Rommel. while the German forces in Congo led by Albert Speer would push the French out, and began elleavating the situation for fellow German Afrikakorps in Kamerun, which are lead by a commander named Joachim von Ribbentrop, the Germans made advances into French colonies soon after, while the French fought to hold on to there occupied parts of Kamerun and there own colonies, which they still mostly held a grip on. the Italians were losing fast in Italian East Africa, mass rebellions by the Ethiopians caused the fast collapse of Italian forces in East Africa, as the end of the year approached. Italy capitulated in Africa, and Italian East Africa was occupied by the Afrikacorps. in the ensuing chaos. and with Mussolini's permission, the French took temporary control of Libya.
However the year was now 1945. the Wrath of the Iron Hammer of America, and the rest of the Allies would soon strike upon the Axis.​
[1] Yes. we got ourselves a Valkyrie analouge, Jean-Claude Geymere is as lucky as Hitler in OTL.
Next Time on the Reverse Cold War
The Wrath of the Atom. the Final Act of the Axis Powers
January 1st, 1945-June 28th, 1945

whitecrow

Banned
Americans want to invade France proper through Spain? Wouldn't they have certain... geographical challenges?

pyrenees.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.