Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said when you posted the first edition of this, I'm just not sure how both Bohemia and Royal Prussia are left out of an 'Germany united in 1848' scenario.
Honestly, I could see Bohemia being left out. It's a stretch, but I could see it. Prussia, though? Not a chance.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, by the time the Germans got together in Frankfurt to discuss union, Bohemia's independence from Austria had already organised. They were never on the table as being a part of Germany.

This Germany is a unification of the Deutsche Bund - barring Bohemia - and the excluded part of Prussia was never considered part of that until after 1848. Additionally, this union is, to an extent, being driven by the south, and particularly supported by Austria, so forcing their northern rivals to split their holdings is definitely on the table. The impetus for union is such that Prussia can't opt out, or else they'll face severe internal problems, so they accede to the Austrian demands and split their holdings. Now, this Prussia is majority German, and ruled by a German, so in the long term I can easily see them eventually joining - or they could go along OTL's Austrian route and develop an independent sense of nationhood. The map is only 1878, so it's not like the borders are fixed for all time.

AFAIK, the Sonderbund weren't trying to secede, they were trying to stop the federalisation of the Swiss cantons into a consolidated state. If they won the Swiss Civil War, the result wouldn't be them going independent, it'd be Switzerland remaining a loose confederacy.

While I agree that the Sonderbund weren't seeking independence, the Federal forces were pretty dedicated to their project, and I think that they would have continued along their centralising path. There's the additional splitting force that the Sonderbund here contains pretty much all the Catholics, and I think that'd be enough for de-facto separate nations.

Wouldn't Neuchâtel be returned to the Prussian King rather than annexed to a unified Confederacy or a confederate union?

Why? Neuchâtel essentially sat out the Sonderbund war, but its people favoured the Federalists, so I don't think it's out of the question for it to become a republic and join on a timeline roughly approximating ours.

Please be gentle. This is an idea I've been bumping around for a while. The POD is in 1789 when Yellowstone decides to go all apocalyptic and wipes out the Midwest. Most of the world powers flounder around following the Long Winter and Loose control of most of the New World which does reasonably well for itself after the ash settles. Now the super volcano has officially run out of steam and now everyone wants to get that new territory.
*Note*
Some of the Confederation's States have different boundaries than OTL U.S. because in the ensuing chaos following the eruption some of the states settled old grudges. Note über Pennsylvania.
Secondly before you ask the Compass Corp is a small autonomous group created to protect trade shipping lanes from pirates. Over the years they have evolved into a far more formidably force, a kind of precursor to the LoN but with teeth and a navy to boot.

This is awesome. Just a while ago it could have been an entry in the Map of the Fortnight contest; I believe the challenge was an alternate-disaster map.

in my defense, i try to put in a good deal of progress before i post any new updates. also, i havent posted here in the map thread for a long time, so i dont think its fair to say that im completely cluttering 487 pages of maps and comments pertaining to such maps

Yes, that is exactly what I said. :rolleyes: I meant the most recent pages. When I see that the Map Thread has been updated, I, and I assume others, get excited about what kind of cool scenario or map has been posted. It's annoying when all I find is either a page of discussion or the same map posted three times with minor changes.

It's not meant to be a personal attack against you. But people have kicked up a stink about it in the past (you have the benefit of at least knowing how to make a proper map).

Oshron, one suggestion is to take it to the Map Series Thread, where I usually check out every map. I can try to help you inch along, and when you finish up a continent or something you can post it here to get more feedback, as this thread gets a hell of a lot more traffic.

Hopefully this is a compromise everyone can get behind, as it means you get the help you can use, and your incomplete map only gets posted like twice more over the next few days before it's finished.

Anyone else who is interested in helping him (and I think it's a very interesting concept) should join us here.

Also, you might consider posting it in the Future Map thread. It gets about as little traffic as the Map Series thread, but that might change if it gets dusted off with this kind of project.

Yes, that is exactly what I said. :rolleyes: I meant the most recent pages. When I see that the Map Thread has been updated, I, and I assume others, get excited about what kind of cool scenario or map has been posted. It's annoying when all I find is either a page of discussion or the same map posted three times with minor changes.

It's not meant to be a personal attack against you. But people have kicked up a stink about it in the past (you have the benefit of at least knowing how to make a proper map).
thanks for the clarification ;)
Oshron, one suggestion is to take it to the Map Series Thread, where I usually check out every map. I can try to help you inch along, and when you finish up a continent or something you can post it here to get more feedback, as this thread gets a hell of a lot more traffic.

Hopefully this is a compromise everyone can get behind, as it means you get the help you can use, and your incomplete map only gets posted like twice more over the next few days before it's finished.

Anyone else who is interested in helping him (and I think it's a very interesting concept) should join us here.

Also, you might consider posting it in the Future Map thread. It gets about as little traffic as the Map Series thread, but that might change if it gets dusted off with this kind of project.
aah, i didnt know there was a Map Series Thread :) that's good to know, because after this i might work on maps of preceding events in the same TL as the United Earth series

thanks for letting me know ;) i'll move all my future map series (since they're usually progressive works) to that thread then and stop bothering everyone here :p

Ok, a "cover." Martin23230 did a fairly cool scenario for the "alternate cold war" map contest ( https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=6339275#post6339275 )
with a cold war between a surviving Three Emperor's League and those whose asses were spanked in an alt-WWI. Since he just did a map of Europe, and a
rough sketch for the world, I decided to do a world map in a bit more detail.

Bruce

TripleAlliancesColdWar.png

Ok, a "cover." Martin23230 did a fairly cool scenario for the "alternate cold war" map contest ( https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=6339275#post6339275 )
with a cold war between a surviving Three Emperor's League and those whose asses were spanked in an alt-WWI. Since he just did a map of Europe, and a

Bruce

I like how Paraguay and Costa Rica are the only ones able to pull off neutral. I bet the Swiss wish they could say the same...

Bruce

Ah, I was wondering how the rest of the world is doing. I assume the US is still pseudo-democratic because it's willing to break off, or is that just because it's run by very Machiavellian people?

Ah, I was wondering how the rest of the world is doing. I assume the US is still pseudo-democratic because it's willing to break off, or is that just because it's run by very Machiavellian people?
It's mentioned under 2: it is still a democracy, if a bit more authoritarian, paranoid and militarized than ours previous to WW2.

The first in (hopefully) a series of maps. These maps are based on me extrapolating from a Hearts of Iron III game, so don't expect much actual plausibility. :p

AFTERMATH - The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere

1. The Empire of Japan had rather a better time of things, and reigns supreme over the Pacific. Increasingly faced by the dilemma of either delegating more power to their puppets or having them rebel. But if they delegate too much power, they'll lose control anyways...
2. China and the Japanese Indian Occupation Zone have been divided, in the hopes that the smaller states will be less able to resist.
3. Insurgency is a big problem all over, and Japan's tactics and equipment are based around fighting poorly-armed rebels - Philippine rebels using horribly outdated American tanks can and do wreak havoc.
4. The Japanese invasion of Australia looked unstoppable... Until it was stopped. The Japanese-occupied areas became the puppet "Kingdom of Australia," led by a slightly insane half-caste man the Japanese dredged up. The Kingdom is probably the least tyrannical state in the GEACPS.
5. The remainder of Australia combined with New Zealand after the Fall of Britain to form the South Pacific Federation. Many Australians from the Kingdom have fled across the border to the SPF.

oilWJ.png

I apologize if some of the translations are a bit (or a lot) wonky. I could not for the life of me find a Burmese translator either.

One things, the Philippines native name would not be in Spanish, the Philippines, while having been a Spanish colony has never been a Spanish speaking territory, rather if anything it'd be in Tagalog.

That is Filipino. :p At least according to Google Translate.

Krall

Banned
Actually, the MoF has been extended a week: it could still be an entry, no?

Bruce

Ah, I'm afraid it wouldn't be permitted - entries for MotF must be made for the contest itself, and generally can't be posted elsewhere first, I'm afraid. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.