Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The map itself is pretty self-explanatory. It's pretty much based on "if Cyprus can be part of the EU, so can other Europeanized countries." These countries probably speak more French than Arabic, are a lot more secular (with the most popular political party most likely being liberal and secular, as opposed to Islamic democratic parties,) and a good chunk of the population is not practicing Islam.
Africa begins at the Atlases, then?

Updated my earlier map of a Europe where Germany united in 1848 (amongst other things) to restore Belgium and add an independent Sonderbund. I think Belgium deserves to remain, though they've lost some territory to Germany, and I can't recall having seen an independent Sonderbund before - the difference there is that Ticino and Solothurn join the Sonderbund and are enough to force the Federal forces to the table. Switzerland, here, is a strongly centralised federal state, while the Sonderbund is a collection of more or less independent cantons with very little by way of central government.

Map1878-1.png

I also updated the basemap a little - the Dalmatian coastline has been improved, courtesy of Iori

As I said when you posted the first edition of this, I'm just not sure how both Bohemia and Royal Prussia are left out of an 'Germany united in 1848' scenario.

Updated my earlier map of a Europe where Germany united in 1848 (amongst other things) to restore Belgium and add an independent Sonderbund. I think Belgium deserves to remain, though they've lost some territory to Germany, and I can't recall having seen an independent Sonderbund before - the difference there is that Ticino and Solothurn join the Sonderbund and are enough to force the Federal forces to the table. Switzerland, here, is a strongly centralised federal state, while the Sonderbund is a collection of more or less independent cantons with very little by way of central government.

I also updated the basemap a little - the Dalmatian coastline has been improved, courtesy of Iori

AFAIK, the Sonderbund weren't trying to secede, they were trying to stop the federalisation of the Swiss cantons into a consolidated state. If they won the Swiss Civil War, the result wouldn't be them going independent, it'd be Switzerland remaining a loose confederacy.

Nietzsche

Banned
As I said when you posted the first edition of this, I'm just not sure how both Bohemia and Royal Prussia are left out of an 'Germany united in 1848' scenario.
Honestly, I could see Bohemia being left out. It's a stretch, but I could see it. Prussia, though? Not a chance.

here's the newly-updated United Earth map. this one has fewer provincial additions than it could because i devoted more of my recent work on it to setting up a river overlay for the final version of it.

here's some relatively important things i want to ask concerning this map project:

1. should the rough area of Kansas and Missouri between rivers be made into its own province, or folded in with another province idea into a single Great Plains province (which will be named after the Sioux)?
  2. should Vietnam and Laos comprise their own province, and if so, what should it be called? (because i don't want to just name it "Indochina")
  3. what should be done with the Aral Sea? does everyone think that its completely doomed, or could some megaproject be undertaken to restore it? (this is sorta important to the Uzbek province that will occupy the territory between the rivers connected to the Aral)
  4. should European Russia be one entire province on its own, or split into a few smaller ones (like Novgorod)?
  5. what should be done concerning Ukraine? does anyone think its culturally and ethnically distinct enough to warrant being its own province?
  6. should Central America be its own province?
  7. does anyone think that the people of Oman (or other parts of Arabia) are distinct enough from the rest of Arabia to warrant separation as their own province? otherwise the entire rest of the Arabian Peninsula will be made into one province, Najd
  8. how should South America be divided?

ELLU Map copy.png

here's the newly-updated United Earth map. this one has fewer provincial additions than it could because i devoted more of my recent work on it to setting up a river overlay for the final version of it.

Why on earth is Lappland and Nordnorge put together (population ~200,000) a separate province, and Han China (population ~1,150,000,000) one?

Why on earth is Lappland and Nordnorge put together (population ~200,000) a separate province, and Han China (population ~1,150,000,000) one?
Svalbard is included with Lappland just because of geographic proximity, though i may revise it; it could either go with Scandinavia or eventually be colored white to designate it as a nature preserve rather than a place open for human settlement

in older versions, Han China was divided into two or three other provinces, but this time i decided to leave it together because it is the home region of the majority of ethnic Han Chinese. you also have to remember that this map is supposed to be set in the 32nd century AD, hundreds of years after humans expand into outer space and encounter intelligent alien life and even more hundreds of years since they unified into a single country. by this point, the population of China (and other places on Earth with huge population densities) would have reduced to a degree due to diaspora into other regions which accompanies greater equality of wealth and more opportunities to travel to other parts of the world, which many people all over the world undoubtedly would want to do both then and today (with limitations today largely being the result of not having the financial means to do so). in the same note, places with lower population densities would have more people living in them by this point

Svalbard is included with Lappland just because of geographic proximity, though i may revise it; it could either go with Scandinavia or eventually be colored white to designate it as a nature preserve rather than a place open for human settlement

in older versions, Han China was divided into two or three other provinces, but this time i decided to leave it together because it is the home region of the majority of ethnic Han Chinese. you also have to remember that this map is supposed to be set in the 32nd century AD, hundreds of years after humans expand into outer space and encounter intelligent alien life and even more hundreds of years since they unified into a single country. by this point, the population of China (and other places on Earth with huge population densities) would have reduced to a degree due to diaspora into other regions which accompanies greater equality of wealth and more opportunities to travel to other parts of the world, which many people all over the world undoubtedly would want to do both then and today (with limitations today largely being the result of not having the financial means to do so). in the same note, places with lower population densities would have more people living in them by this point

Assuming equal density in all procinces it will still have more people that most of Europe combined.

Wouldn't Neuchâtel be returned to the Prussian King rather than annexed to a unified Confederacy or a confederate union?

Ninety percent of the region population in Lappland is Russian, Finnish, Norwegian, or Swedish. I think they would prefer to stay with their larger kinfolk who might have much needed food. As for Svalbard, just throw it together with Franz Joseph Land as some anti-apocalyptic bunker

that aside, does anyone have any suggestions for what i posted before?
  1. should the rough area of Kansas and Missouri between rivers be made into its own province, or folded in with another province idea into a single Great Plains province (which will be named after the Sioux)?
  2. should Vietnam and Laos comprise their own province, and if so, what should it be called? (because i don't want to just name it "Indochina")
  3. what should be done with the Aral Sea? does everyone think that its completely doomed, or could some megaproject be undertaken to restore it? (this is sorta important to the Uzbek province that will occupy the territory between the rivers connected to the Aral)
  4. should European Russia be one entire province on its own, or split into a few smaller ones (like Novgorod)?
  5. what should be done concerning Ukraine? does anyone think its culturally and ethnically distinct enough to warrant being its own province?
  7. does anyone think that the people of Oman (or other parts of Arabia) are distinct enough from the rest of Arabia to warrant separation as their own province? otherwise the entire rest of the Arabian Peninsula will be made into one province, Najd
also, what does everyone think i should do about the area of the Great Lakes?

here's some relatively important things i want to ask concerning this map project:

Considered making a thread for this map? It's not a big deal, but I feel like it's clogging up the map thread and there are very minor changes being made each time.

Well, I for one think it's a pain in the ass coming to the Map Thread and seeing what amounts to the same thing on every single page.
in my defense, i try to put in a good deal of progress before i post any new updates. also, i havent posted here in the map thread for a long time, so i dont think its fair to say that im completely cluttering 487 pages of maps and comments pertaining to such maps
Hideous random borders that if anyone complains the answer is that we know nothing and it's 'The FUTURE'?
do you mean my map or other's? because i have, to the best of my ability, designed the borders of almost every province in my maps with reason, even if these reasons aren't consistent to every single province (some are based on rivers, some on mountains, some on ethnic lines, and some on linguistic ranges)

Status
Not open for further replies.