Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The world a decade after nuclear war!

About 10 years ago (2001), there was a devastating nuclear war between the semi-fascist United States and the basically communist Latin Union. The Latin Union more-or-less ceased to exist, while America was "merely" gravely wounded.

The Latin monarchy holdouts of Corsica, Sardinia and the Balearic Islands (all backed by Britain) made a mad dash to reclaim their lost lands... until the scale of the disaster was realized, plague famine, global financial collapse and nuclear winter brought much of the northern hemisphere to its knees, and only through determination, near bankruptcy and oppression did they survive.

Japan squeezed her allies for all they were worth, Russia survived only because of her vast hydrocarbon reserves, Austria found herself further into the Ottoman sphere, Britain managed to buy her way out of disaster (the Imperial Parliament (sort of an EU/NATO hybrid) rallying to the flag for a change), while Prussia begged/threatened her ex colonies for aid. Switzerland, South Germany and Belgium were very nearly destroyed with radioactive fallout and were barely organized states after the war. Brazil, South Africa and Australia saw significant immigration these last few years, and Brazil is widely recognized as the next global power.

After the dust settled, there were several new conflicts in the violent new era. Brazil refused to budge from Portugal, making that barren territory a new colony. Morocco was doing much the same in Spain when Brazil decided to destroy the Moroccan military with air and naval strikes and claim western Spain for herself. In a story only fit for mystery novels, China smuggled an unexploded nuclear device from the south of France and detonated it in Russian Kashmir (Nobody has any idea how it got there, prompting Russia to destroy a dozen Indian cities before India even realized what was happening (nobody was ever really sure what China was planning, and it took 3 years before anyone even knew that it was China behind the whole plot...). The Latin Union was divided into occupation zones with warlords, insurgents, refugees (the few that survived the nuclear war, plagues and eventual famine) and a host of other problems wreaking havoc with occupying forces. Much of the United States is under martial law, and many areas have no law at all.

My god. That Russia has one hell of a potbelly.

But excellent map nonetheless.

Oh. . . Austria. . . How did I read that as Australia like 50 times???:confused::confused::(:confused::(:confused::eek::eek::confused:
austrian_kangaroo.jpg

:D

I held a kangaroo yesterday!!

Edit: BTW, after smoking a few saved up luckies, my bad day changed. First I got those awesome comments on my map, and then good things just kept happening. Furthermore, I realized the thing (or the biggest of the things) that made my day so terrible was really the best thing that could have ever happened to me at the time.

So... well... :)

Arizona is plenty big I should think. Texas got cut up following the Civil War (there were enough proposals for it OTL it doesn't strike me as too implausible) and New Mexico was given the fairly empty to west to get another state in quickly.

Okay then.

I held a kangaroo yesterday!!

Edit: BTW, after smoking a few saved up luckies, my bad day changed. First I got those awesome comments on my map, and then good things just kept happening. Furthermore, I realized the thing (or the biggest of the things) that made my day so terrible was really the best thing that could have ever happened to me at the time.

So... well... :)

I'm glad things worked out for you, Zach, Awesome. :D

VT45

Banned
Well not too much of a wank.

Here's the sequal:

And once again, the borders in New England are exactly OTL. For once in my life I'd like to see at least some variation in New England's borders. The forms we see weren't completely set down until the 1840s. And if your POD is before that, New England could have quite different borders.

Does anybody know what happened to that map that had northern Minnesota and North Dakota as part of Canada? I liked it quite a bit and now I can't find it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.