The Mauricians: A Medieval Roman novel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting stuff. Is this a nod to the theory that Muhammad might have been from Palestine, rather than deepest Arabia?

On another note, who are the Romans who have retaken Jerusalem? Presumably Theodosius' lot rather than the rump-Phocan/Apion faction under Alexander? Or is it an entirely spontaneous local revolt?

I would think it is Theodosius--Yareb notes the irony of Modestus being from the monastery of St. Theodosius, which suggests that its the Theodosians who have taken Jerusalem.

That, and I think the Apion-Phokaides are farther north in Anatolia/the Balkans.

Well damn, Mohammed just got screwed! Or did he.....

Islam strangled in it's cradle.

Looks like it may be.

And so Muhammad appears! I forget what year it is, but tgis may well have altered or prevented his prophetic calling. If it is after his calling started, then it could still affect him in other ways

The Jews might want to consider fleeing Roman lands altogether, because defiling Jerusalem will probably not go over well.

Muhammad appears but Islam hasn't. IOTL the first revelation did not occur until the early 610s (coincidental with the Sassanian invasion of Syria, IMO) and ITTL it's late 606. Muhammad is still plying his trade.

Ooohh, interesting. I've often heard that early Islam was almost Jewish in nature, so these two groups might just get along.

And so the Empire strikes back. It seems the Persian position is crumbling, and that they may soon be forced to go on the defensive. Onwards, to Ctesiphon!

I've read theories of along those lines as well. In fact, there are some that even stretch it further. Some that claim that the Khazars converted to Judaism, because that was what Islam still was (practically) in the early eighth century.

IOTL, the interactions between Jews fleeing Roman lands, the Jewish authorities in Parthia, and then Sassanian Iran, and the Arab states before the rise of Islam are very interesting.

Interesting stuff. Is this a nod to the theory that Muhammad might have been from Palestine, rather than deepest Arabia?

On another note, who are the Romans who have retaken Jerusalem? Presumably Theodosius' lot rather than the rump-Phocan/Apion faction under Alexander? Or is it an entirely spontaneous local revolt?

I'm afraid not. Muhammad is just an unlucky Arabian trader caught in the midst of the revolt.

And said revolution is a combination of both factors: a local revolt, led by Modestus, but launched in coordination with the arrival of the Maurician force.

That, and I think the Apion-Phokaides are farther north in Anatolia/the Balkans.

The Phokades are now practically divided into two camps: Comentiolus in the Balkans, and the Apions/Alexander in Egypt (should they seize it from Theodosius.) Anatolia, what hasn't been lost to the Sassanians, is under Maurician control.

Folks, with this we wrap up for the next couple of months. I will be leaving on vacation for the next few weeks, and I am afraid there will not be anymore updating until mid-to late September. To long-time readers, that will not be much of a wait (knowing my erratic updating habits) but, as it goes against my latest efforts in trying to get something in at least once a month, I thought it worthy of mention.

I hope to return refreshed and with ever more intriguing ideas. In the meantime, comments, suggestions, and just sheer speculation, are always welcome!

Chapter 16 -I-

He had to have a knack, a special talent, for finding himself in these situations. First Mediolanum, then Pavia, and finally Ravenna. Always boxed in, or with the jaws of enemy forces closing in. And now, with his luck, having fled the Roman capital, dodging the encircling Lombard forces and the robbers along the way, he made it to Rome, only to find Theodelinda and young King Adaloald already gone, along with most of the Imperial family. And better yet, hot on his heels, were the first rebellious scouts from Gisulf’s forces.

“Men, it’s time, let’s get moving!” went out the order from Rodoald, the fierce dekarchos from Ravenna, who had led him and a handful of scattered survivors south, trying to regroup with a larger force, in order to launch a counterattack against the “Lombard swine.”

Sigibuld, the Lombard, nodded, and grabbed his bowl of soup, gulping down what was left quite easily. Dropping it back on the table, he flipped a follis onto the hands of the eager tavern-keeper, and set out alongside his companions. Outside, the streets were damp from the drizzle that had hovered over the city on and off since the early morning and were, for the most part, deserted. It was to be expected, as one could almost smell the fear that permeated it all since the news of the Roman Pope’s capture by the heathen Avars, while on his diplomatic mission, had arrived. But even worse, had been the advent of the Lombard vanguard to the northeast of the city, which alone seemed more numerous than the men spread thinly on the walls. Still, as if it were not enough, and to dishearten the few defenders even further, the Imperial family had been evacuated to Naples. Theodosius’ siblings and child had been sent off in a dash, to the safety of the port city in the south, in an ominous, yet telling, anticipation of things to come by those in power. The only hope for the citizens of the city it seemed, rested on the Empress Irene. She had chosen to stay behind, and inspire the scant “garrison,” and the people of Rome, with her presence, in the name of her husband.

Pulling up their hoods over their heads, the group lost themselves in the alleyways, heading east. Rodoald had decided to leave Rome the day before, after a brief stay of two days, since there was no realistic hope that the city could hold out a prolonged siege with its current defenders. Should the unthinkable come to pass, the dekarchos had argued, he rather be part of the force that removed the ignominy of “barbarian” occupation, rather than dying before being fortunate enough to see the day of retribution. And it seemed he was not alone in his thinking: since the Lombard contingent that had arrived to the northeast had pitched their tents there and showed no intention of moving further, the gates to the south remained open, giving free passage to those who wanted to leave, and letting in those who fled into the city from the north, seeking a safe haven.

They went past the Forum, where some people, surely in preparation for the siege, were grazing their cattle, along some neglected, sparse spots where the grass had been allowed to grow. They went past the giant Colosseum, and its squatters, whence and whither a few stray, malnourished dogs darted. And finally, as they headed for the Porta Asinaria, through which Belisarius had entered the city seventy years before, they went past a large marble statue of a veiled man, his left arm missing, representing one of the past Emperors; Sigibuld was clueless as to whom [1]. Old proud Rome, he thought as he passed between the gate’s twin towers and gave the defenders therein stationed a last, pitiful look, knowing fully well what awaited them. Living out its final days…

The way to Naples was, again, plagued with refugees heading in both directions, though the greater number was always southbound: countless numbers of men, children and women from all backgrounds dragging their earthly possessions in carts, or pulling their animals with them. In a similar fashion, they crossed paths with some of the wealthy landowners often, who deployed their private guards about them and their belongings on the move, to shield them from the masses, who marching alongside cried out for food or money. Had the situation been different, it would have been quite comical to watch.

On they went, for three days, until, oddly and worrisomely, they began to notice the scars of war in the landscape. Some of the men began to speculate that perhaps the Lombard vanguard was living off the land, and was now reaching further south, thus putting them in danger of being overtaken. A few cold bodies littered in burnt-out fields only serve to emphasize this point. It was at that juncture that they decided to step off the main road, and continue through less traveled paths at a faster speed, in order to avoid unwanted attention. After all, twenty some men won’t be able to amount to much, he reasoned. Their route was scabrous but safer, for they noticed none of the ravages for the following day.

They spent that night with two men as sentinels, as they had done since their departure, and expected to continue early on the following day. But upon waking, Sigibuld immediately realized something was amiss. With his eyes unopened, he knew it was too quiet: three was no soft chatting on the part of the men standing guard. Keeping his breathing steady, he slowly moved his hand to the dagger always fastened to his belt, seized it, and jumped to his feet stealthily. No one else was up yet, and the embers from the fire from the previous night were still smoldering. But the guards were gone. Did these cowards desert?

Without much thinking, he reached down and seized upon his sword while sheathing his knife. Still alert, and with his eyes fixed on his surroundings, he kicked the man to his left once, and then the one to his right, in silence. The two must have quickly realized the situation as well, for they jumped to their feet just as he had done. But then, disaster struck. In an instant, they were surrounded and had swords and spears levelled at them. He could feel the steel tip of one such blade on his back.

It was not before long that the rest of the men were awakened, rather brusquely, and were forced to kneel before their captors.

“Are you Romans?” shouted the man behind him, his sword still held up to Sigibuld’s back.

“Yes, we are,” interrupted the dekarchos, calmly but resolutely. “I am Rodoald, dekarchos from the sixth Ravennian turma.”

Sigibuld felt the sword dropping. “Congratulations, dekarchos. You are now part of the Imperial army once again.” The rest of the men also lowered their swords, and their lances. “The camp is but an hour from here. All citizens are being drafted to defend Italy. We march to meet Gisulf on the morrow.”

The surprise on everyone’s faces was obvious. These men were not wearing any armor or any insignia that would brand them as Imperial soldiers. But needless to say, no one was disappointed.

“Excellent!” Rodoald said, smiling for the first time since Sigibuld could remember. “My boys here have been itching to get back in the fight!”

Sigibuld’s eyes darted from the dekarchos to the man leading the detachment, who now walked around from behind him. He shrugged indifferently, without an expression telling of his thoughts, and climbing atop a horse that had been brought to him from the thicket answered coldly. “I hope the couple of deserters we had to execute earlier aren’t representative of your boys’. You’ve about a day to rest.”

“If they tried to flee, it was well deserved,” countered Rodoald, in characteristic fashion.

Amidst friendly pats on the back, and a few scattered, nervous laughs, men from both groups began to mingle. As for himself, a warm, yet alien, feeling began to creep over him. It was a sense of safety that had become utterly unfamiliar. Truth be told, it was something he had not particularly cared for since Helchen disappeared and the Franks had ravaged his land. For months, he had wandered from battle to battle, perhaps seeking death unconsciously, but always acting apathetically. Nonetheless, something had finally snapped at the moment of this one encounter. He had come to realize that he was a Lombard by birth, and a loyalist by chance, now, though it puzzled him to no end, he was a Roman soldier by choice. And these men, unlike those of his own race, were not out to get him. He chuckled softly at the irony.

It did not take them long to pack their scant provisions, and head out towards the camp. As they began to do so, he attempted to strike up a conversation with the soldier beside him, in an attempt to pass time. “Who leads?” he asked at last, not actually interested.

The man did not even turn to reply, but continued looking ahead as he did so. “Caesar Tiberius, and strategos Domentziolus.”

“Ahhh…” he said, before doing the math in his head. That can’t be.
“Isn’t the Caesar, like, twelve?” he asked, now half impressed, half in disbelief.

“Fourteen,” corrected him the Roman, “but at least he chose to leave the safety of Naples, and come be with the men. Unlike his father…”

He grinned. “That kind of talk can get you in trouble, you know?”

“Who the hell cares?” answered the grunt, scratching the stubble on his face. “At this point, if we outlive the Lombards, then come the Franks. And if we manage them too, then come the Avars. I came halfway across the world from Moesia…and they still managed to get to us here. ‘Treasonous’ talk isn’t much to worry about these days.”

Sigibuld nodded in silence. Though he had fought both the Franks and the Gisulf’s Lombards, he had yet to face the Avars, those hellish riders who at this very moment were probably turning northern Italy into horse pasture for their mounts. Perhaps, he wondered, there might finally be something to look forward to after all: die amongst comrades, in open battle, rather than starved and caged up in a siege.

In a true Lombard way. Thank you, God!

[1] The Via Labicana Augustus.

Lovely to see this updated again. Hope Irene and Tiberius can get the hell out of Italy before the triple onslaught of Lombards, Franks and Avars comes crashing down.

Nice nuance there with "are you Romans" -- good to see the legal definition of who or who wasn't Roman/barbarian used rather than the ethnic one.

Hoping the Avars take Italy so that Rome is finally liberated from their compulsive and silly desire to take the impoverished boot. That, and it leaves Pannonia largely open for a backstab by the Avar vassals, much like what the Gepids pulled on the Huns.

You can see how desperate these Romans are, considering they just took these possible threats at their word for being Roman.

I hope, at the very least, the Romans hold onto Southern Italy. Eventually, they could establish a stable border along the Alps, but that clearly won't happen for a long, long time if at all.

Lovely to see this updated again. Hope Irene and Tiberius can get the hell out of Italy before the triple onslaught of Lombards, Franks and Avars comes crashing down.

Hoping the Avars take Italy so that Rome is finally liberated from their compulsive and silly desire to take the impoverished boot. That, and it leaves Pannonia largely open for a backstab by the Avar vassals, much like what the Gepids pulled on the Huns.

Given that IOTL the Romans doggedly held onto [pieces of] the boot for 500 years after Justinian should give us some indication to their intentions. Whether they succeed ITTL, in spite of their commitments elsewhere remains to be seen.

Nice nuance there with "are you Romans" -- good to see the legal definition of who or who wasn't Roman/barbarian used rather than the ethnic one.

Glad you could pick up on that!

You can see how desperate these Romans are, considering they just took these possible threats at their word for being Roman.

I hope, at the very least, the Romans hold onto Southern Italy. Eventually, they could establish a stable border along the Alps, but that clearly won't happen for a long, long time if at all.

See my reply to El Yanqui above.

Great to see this back! I'm confident that the Romans will survive the coming apocalypse, they're nothing if not resilient.

Thanks! Resilient they are, but everything has a limit...

Chapter 16 -II-

“Aghhh…my…my…K…k…k..King…I am…inn…innoce…”

Clothar squeezed the treacherous dog’s throat even tighter. He had no patience for his repulsive, mendacious drivel anymore, all the more in light of the situation. He would choke the life out of Berthoald, Burgundian mayor of the palace, whom he now knew to have remained loyal to Brunhilda ever since the beginning. Resolutely, he pressed his thumbs harder against the windpipe. Die, fucker, die!

The old mayor struggled, and at one point even fought back. He kicked Clothar in the stomach, forcing him to loosen his grip but, as Berthoald attempted to pry his hands open, the guards fell upon him, and left the old traitor in a thickening pool of his own blood, twitching in agony. Panting, Clothar straightened himself, and spat with disgust on the dying man’s face. “Now, you hear me before you slide into hell, swine! I know Brunhilda is behind all of this, and I know you were snaring me into a trap. But I will prevail! The Avars are nothing against me! Nothing!” He kicked Bertholad on the chest. “Nothing!”

Within minutes the mayor was dead. He ordered the head to be cut off, packed in salt, and sent to the Burgundy to foretell of his return, before his attention turned to evaluate his situation. At home the outlook was grim: though his own mayor in Neustria, Landeric, had remained loyal, defeat was but a matter of time. Theudebert and his German vassals were cutting through his land from the east, and Brunhilda would stop at nothing to prevent him from crossing the Alps back into Francia. Furthermore, there were even rumors of dealings with the Goths to the south! Yet perhaps the blow that hit him the hardest was the capture of his firstborn Merovech, and his daughter Emma. With a sigh, he let himself fall on a chair and slid slightly towards the edge, while he held in head with his right hand. Merovech was his heir. But at least Dagobert is still free, he thought, attempting to reassure himself, that should Brunhilda dare kill her young captives, his line would not die out.

Slowly, a faint voice reached his ears, but still he ignored it. He did not even notice the kneeling messenger until the man was already speaking.“Stop!” he barked, annoyed. “What did you say?”

“My King, the Sclavenian soldiers of the Avar lord are mounting another attack on the walls!”

He kept silent, attempting to hear the sounds of the assault. Soon enough he did. The increasingly loud war cries from the savages, and the faint, yet unmistakable clash of swords.

Fuck it

He jumped to his feet, and ordered them all to the front. Without hesitation, he grabbed his helmet, and followed his men. If this was to be his end, he would make sure to die gloriously, and not be seized and paraded by the brutes outside.

***​
“Long live the King!” went out the cry again. And again. And again. And yet, again.

“Yeah!” he hollered, raising his sword to yet another acclamation from his troops. “We won! And we will always triumph over the heathens!” The cheering that ensued was overwhelming; so loud that even the retreating enemy faces in the distance turned to face the city. By the skin of their teeth, the Franks had made it. They had repelled the enemy attack, and stood their ground. Now it’s time to talk, again.

The first Avar ambassador that had approached them earlier in the week, with an army in the thousands at his back, had haughtily demanded that in exchange for their lives and a safe passage back to their lands, Clothar had to pay homage, surrender all the spoils seized in Italy, and pay tribute to the Kaghan for five years. Needless to say, and barely wasting time articulating his opinion, he had dismissed the savage with his only possible reply, and without his hands, to emphasize his point.

The first attack that same evening was sudden, but he knew his men, and himself, had put up a hell of a fight. The four thousand Franks that fell that night took down with them twice the enemy number, before he and the rest were forced into nearby Placentia [1]. Perhaps that was why, when the Kaghan had left a siege of the city in place, he set off, with a large portion of his men to continue the march south, implicitly indicating to the Franks, that they were doomed, and they were not worth his time. Still, Clothar was not one to shy away from a fight. Why should he?

Within two days, he had marshalled two divisions to sally forth from the opposing gates of the city, in a surprise attack. With the departure of the enemy King, then, things should have improved, but it was at that precise time, that the emissary arrived from Neustria and, having been seized and released by the Avars, rushed to him with dire news from home.

While his men continued to cheer, he wasted no more time. He dispatched a messenger to the enemy camp, arranging to meet at noon by the eastern gates. When the agreed upon time arrived, he set off with a heavy guard, and his had archers ready at the towers to meet the incoming Avars. Sneering from atop their stout horses, their ambassadors were clad in the black furs that seemed typical of their barbarian ilk, but carried on their heads adorned helmets, and on their left arms bejeweled shields. To Clothar they were all exactly alike, with the exception of a blonde man clad in a brown tunic, near the front. Once they came within a respectable distance, one of the men, a mustached youth, raised a hand and the party came to a halt. Clothar did likewise.

The same young man, lowering his hand, began talking in his barbarous tongue, while, without dropping his reins, he clasped both his hands together. Then, the blonde man began speaking in heavily accented Frankish.

“My lord Apsih, son of Kaghan Bayan, Lord of the Earth and son of the Eternal Tengri, honors you with his presence barbarian!”

A German translator. Is that a subtle hint meant to intimidate us?
“I, Clothar, King of all the Franks, greet the Prince as a friend and ally,” he answered quickly, sticking his chin out.

The Avar Prince spoke for the next few minutes, as his German slave translated. Their terms were simple: the Kaghan had come to Italy for the Romans, not the Franks. During their two encounters, they had proven their worth standing their ground, and their King recognized bravery when shown, even from a foe. Thus the Franks could leave with all their booty, but leave they must.

After the terms had been presented, all eyes turned to Clothar. He already knew what his answer was to be, especially with the conspirators at home. But he knew, he was also in a position of relative strength. A natural gambler, he would try his luck. “The terms the Prince offers are honorable,” he began as he dropped the reins and tugged at his beard thoughtfully. “But the blood of my men demands equal payment for their sacrifice.” He began to notice the reluctance on the interpreter’s face, so he encouraged him. “Go on! Tell him!”

The man did. But before the Avar Prince could utter a word, Clothar resumed. “As a friend of the Prince, I demand that my men be given provisions for the road home, and that my claim to the lands of the Lombard duchy of Turin be recognized by right of conquest.”

He stopped and sighed audibly, trying to measure their reaction. While his demand was translated, some men in the enemy party exchanged a few furtive glances as their smirks disappeared, but their Prince remained aloof. Clothar began to realize that these men were not Romans, nor Lombards. They could and would fight with all means necessary; but so could he. He straightened his head stoically. Fuck it, then. We all die here today.

Then the barbarian leader moved his right hand up, as in a salute. “We have terms,” the translator announced, visibly relieved. “Your pleas have been heard.”

He could not contain a chuckle. “Ha!” Pleas my ass. “Well then, it was a pleasure dealing with you gentlemen! We will be out within the week!” he announced, gleefully.

Apsih bowed his head regally but said nothing, and just as suddenly, raised his hand once more, indicating that the negotiations were over. Clothar seized eagerly on the bridles and turned his mount around, as he tilted his head lightly in a similar fashion. They might be barbarians, but they are reasonable ones, he thought. In any event, he had bigger worries now: Brunhilda and her spawn would not take the throne from him, or his family.

***​
“The scouts have already spotted a clearing. Brunhilda’s dogs are to the south of the position we’ve chosen. We will come down from the Alps like a lightning bolt and wiped them out!” Clothar pounded a closed fist on his outstretched left palm to emphasize his point. Around him, his captains laughed in agreement, as their horses under them marched on, and the long column of soldiers, laden with the spoils of the Italian expedition, neared the towering white peaks to the west, the natural border between Italy and Burgundy.

Suddenly, there was a commotion behind him, the distant blare of the horns and the shouts of men. In tandem, an unfamiliar sense of dread came over him, as he pulled on the reins to stop and turned his heavy bulk to look towards the back of the line. And then, the shouts passed by the heralds reached his ears.

“Avar attack to the rear! Avar cavalry attack!”

_______________________​
[1] Piacenza, Italy.

Oh ho! The Avars and Franks are fighting, Clothar is probably screwed... and Italy looks like its open to the Avar invasion (aka Slavs settling in Italy).

Wonder if anyone back in Pannonia will be the Gepids to Bayan's Huns...

Just finished rereading this! Great stuff, looking forward to more.

Thanks!

Oh ho! The Avars and Franks are fighting, Clothar is probably screwed... and Italy looks like its open to the Avar invasion (aka Slavs settling in Italy).

Wonder if anyone back in Pannonia will be the Gepids to Bayan's Huns...

Right now the Kaghan is pushing his most troublesome subjects ahead of him into Italy, meaning that he might not have many people left behind him to do the stabbing.

But yes... northern Italy is being changed. Drastically.

Chapter 16 -III-

Taking the now habitual ride along the southern wall, Eugenius continued to scout the enemy battlement for any signs of weakness. For a full month the outnumbered Romans had managed to hold them off, thwarting the desperate attempts from the edgy Lombard forces. And desperate they were, for from the north were flowing terrible and ominous reports: the Avar Khaghan was riding south.

Even so, not all was lost. Concurrent with their march on Rome, their captive brethren in Spoletum and Beneventum had finally broken out in revolt, slaughtering the Romans amongst them as well as the traitors who clung to their faith in Agilulf’s discredited line. And just the night before, two thousand strong men had joined them from the liberated duchies, for the final assault on the ancient seat of the Empire.

“My Duke,” one of his guards called out to him, softly. “There!”

He still was not fully accustomed to his new title. But the King had granted it for his determination, shown most gallantly when he split Gaidoald’s skull in half, and his ability. Duke of Trentum, a bombastic title, courtesy of a dead charlatan. “Where?”

The soldier pointed towards the wall, again. “There, my lord.”

He squinted his eyes. There she is, all right. The slender shape of a woman dressed in white and blue, patrolling the battlements and conferring with the tired defenders. The Empress.

Eugenius had been briefed when the siege was laid and told that this woman was the backbone of Rome’s skeletal defenses. Galvanizing the spirits of the diminished garrison she made appearances every day before the masses, followed by a much publicized parade atop the parapets, which concluded only at dusk, when she departed for an hours-long vigil in a different church each evening; only to repeat the same routine the following day. Unpleasant though it may sound, he knew she had to be among the first to be seized, or cut down, once the walls were breached.

An indistinct yelling from the east disrupted his thoughts, and made him look about for the source of the noise. Immediately he distinguished a patrol returning with a bound prisoner in their midst. He spurred on his horse, and flanked by his two guards, intersected the men.

“Who is this?” he asked, turning his mount in front of the group, forcing to come to a halt.

“My Duke,” began the leader, with a straight face, “this was a Roman spy captured while he tried to reach the city.”

Something struck him as odd. “What’s your name, soldier?”

The prisoner looked up, stoically. “Sergius, scout, 2nd Tagma, 3rd Moira of the Western Expeditionary Army.”

Eugenius licked his teeth. “Spare me your pompous shit, dog. Where did you wander from?”

“I was sent in advance of the force that is to relieve Rome.”

He looked at his men, as they did the same. They remained immutable. He was intrigued. “Who commands this force? Where is it now?”

The Roman remained with his gaze fixed on Eugenius’ face. “It is less than a day’s march from here. The Caesar Tiberius leads.”

Fuck. Were this man’s claims true, the Lombards would have to divert their efforts from the besieged city to repel the advancing army. And even if they were to conquer, it would only dilute their strength, and prolong the siege further. Time that only works to the Avars’ advantage. But in the midst of his racing thoughts a clear idea formed; a potential solution, once he realized that just the man to do it was ironically before him. He cleared his throat. “Listen well, soldier. You are most certainly aware that the Avars are on the way, correct?”

The captive said nothing, but only lowered his eyes.

“Well then, there only remains one power in Italy with the strength and valor to face and vanquish them: us,” he stopped briefly to add emphasis to his point. “And you could benefit from that.”

Sergius the Roman looked up. His mouth opened, but no words came out. Eugenius grinned. “You heard correctly. Not only your freedom but a considerable share of the booty for your invaluable services, and the option of retirement wherever you please in the Kingdom…”

One of his men scoffed audibly, but the Duke would brook no dissent. He cut his eyes, and made this known. The dissenter avoided his eyes in shame, the rest remained silent. “All you must do is call out to the defenders and let them know that no help is coming. That the army left for Africa, or for Constantinople, whatever you think is best.”

It was but a few seconds before the scout replied, voicing his agreement. Much easier than I thought.

Sergius was immediately unbound, and led by a detachment of Lombards on foot to the closest gate, whose named eluded Eugenius but was between the Basilica of St. Paul, and a queer pyramid built into the walls. [1] The Duke, still atop his mount, made sure he remained close by, if only to ensure the turncoat’s “fidelity.” “You may begin now,” he said.

The Roman coughed twice, and then wiped his hands on his dirty cloak. “Romans! Hear me! Romans! Hear me!” A few of the soldiers on the wall and on the twin towers guarding the gate looked about curiously, while others still pointed down at the announcer.

“I am Sergius, a scout of the 2nd Tagma, 3rd Moira of the Western Expeditionary Army, under the command of the Caesar Flavius Tiberius and the Strategos Domentziolus!” The scout paused took a deep breath, while he looked down at the ground, and just as quickly lifted his head to continue, with an even stronger voice.

“Romans! Stand firm, for lord Tiberius is already but half a day’s march from here with a strong army. Have pity, I beg, on my wife and children, for this perfidious race will not suffer me to live!”

The last few words were shouted as the scout hit the ground, knocked over by the furious Lombards. Eugenius was livid. This insolent Roman had betrayed him and humiliated him before the whole army and their cornered foes. “Off with his fucking head! Now” he screeched. “And send some lookouts into the southern woods immediately!” He was not about to let this get out of hand. [2]

***​
But things were quickly getting out of hand. Earlier the day before, with the reinforcements from Beneventum and the starving Romans cornered in the city, Lombard victory seemed all but assured; now, with the arrival of the force headed by Domentziolus and Tiberius, and the revitalizing effect that Sergius’ beheading had had for the defenders in Rome, Gisulf had called for a spontaneous council to decide their course of action.

“We can beat them! We’ve cut down our way through them easily before!” someone called out.

“We might as well give up and turn south!” blurted out someone else. “Let the Avars have the damn place!”

Eugenius wavered. He had been the biggest proponent of turning south and abandoning their homesteads in the Po valley. And now, it seemed, the time had come to make a move. He raised his hand, waiting for Gisulf to notice, which the King soon did, and began.

“The Romans have indeed materialized out of nowhere, it would seem. But they have made their move rashly. They have concentrated in strength, and cannot afford to lose here, for there would not be anyone to stop the Avars from reaching even Sicily.”

He scanned the room for signs of dissent, but his gaze was met only by anxious looks. He moved forward slightly in his seat. “Our families are secure now behind the walls of Benevento and the Apennine fortresses. We have no need to flee, but perhaps, there is no need to fight either…”

A murmur rose through the room.

“…for why risk a single Lombard life, when the barbarians can smash the Romans? Why not save our strength for the greater fight against the victor?”

The murmurs continued, but none dared to voice a clear opposition. It seemed that his proposal would stand, and they would live to see another day. Until Gisulf spoke, unexpectedly.

“The Duke’s counsel used to be sound,” began the King. “And our families are indeed safe. But we are done running. We did not overthrow Theodelinda by running away from Pavia, we did not vanquish Callinicus by fleeing from Ravenna, and we did not capture Rome through deceit and lies.”

Eugenius froze and gaped as Gisulf stared, unforgivingly. “Thus I have decided to stand and fight. The Romans have moved by forced marches and are exhausted; by contrast we have sat here and fattened ourselves on the produce of aristocratic villas. I say we kill them all, and if the Avars do reach Rome, then they can have the damn place. We already have our land and our kingdom to the south.”

The clap was spontaneous, but there were no overexcited shouts of approval. And just like that, Eugenius knew, against his better judgement, that he had to yield.

***​
The next morning the battle lines were drawn, and the Duke of Trentum had been tasked with leading the reserves of the leftmost cavalry wing.

The fanfare of the trumpets from the Romans and the martial shouts from the Lombards having died down however, and just before the first hail of arrows was loosened from the enemy side, the horn from the northern scouts was heard, and a cloud of dust seen by all, approaching from the Via Flaminia. Time was up.

The Khaghan’s come.

[1] The Porta San Paolo, in Rome.
[2] I thought this to be the best chance to retell (by changing the roles) the story of Constans II and Sesuald the Lombard.

Last edited:
How great to see this timeline continued. I am a big fan. :D

By the way, arrows are loosed, not fired. Things will not be fired until gunpowder comes along.

Never write an update with only 2 hours of sleep on you.

Glad to see there are readers interested in this baby still.

Status
Not open for further replies.