“Destruction at Lutzen”: Napoleon wins in 1813 ATL

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Destruction at Lutzen”: Napoleon wins in 1813 ATL

Part 1:“The health of his Majesty has never been better”

On the night of December 18th, 1812, with his disastrous Russian campaign behind him, Napoleon Bonaparte arrived at the palace of Tuileries. The campaign had shattered his aura of invincibility and left the Grande Armee in shambles, casualties numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

The latest bulletin to the French people, had stated that “The health of his Majesty has never been better”, this however did not tell the whole story. The campaign in Russia had shaken Napoleon. The great conqueror was aged and in somewhat poor health. He was not the same man who took the field nearly a decade ago at Austerlitz. The French Emperor knew that soon enough news of his total defeat would set all of Europe ablaze in revolt and perhaps spell an end for his empire.

The expected Russian advance however was still a few months off and Napoleon still had both time and space on his side, at least for the moment. Could he raise a new army before the Allies assembled for the finishing blow? Did Napoleon still had the fight left in him to stun Europe one last time?

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
I'll be curious to see where this ends. Presumably not "In 1816, the Allies partition France. :D"

Redbeard

Banned
I like Napoleonic ATLs, especially those around 1813. An extremely interesting year and campaign. I spent a good part of my younger years gaming the autumn campaign :)

But anyway, how about having the Austrians stay neutral, or even more fun, join Napoleon.

After all Kaiser Franz was father in law to Nappy and with some heavy promises (about land) and a good deal of sweet talk I guess it would be possible (although not that likely).

I can't comment on anything for the next week or so as I go buck hunting in Mecklenburg and after that to a conference in Jutland. :D

But anyway, how about having the Austrians stay neutral, or even more fun, join Napoleon.

After all Kaiser Franz was father in law to Nappy and with some heavy promises (about land) and a good deal of sweet talk I guess it would be possible (although not that likely).

In early 1813 the Austrians were still technically at war with Russia until they signed a ceasefire on February 25th, 1813. If this negotiations were to breakdown for any reason that could be an issue.

I'm probably going to have the Austrians adopt a wait and see policy at least at first.;)

Last edited:
It makes sense to have the Austrians adopt the wait and see policy. After all they had been beaten too many times by Napoleon before and only narrowly survived the defeat in 1809. From Vienna's point of view another defeat might see Napoleon dethroning the Hapsburg Dynasty altogether. And, since the Hohenzollerns have joined with Russia this may end up being the fate of Frederick William in the event Prussia and Russia lose the wa. Indeed, Prussia itself may end up dismantled and partitioned this time, a risk Leggiere suggests in the first volume of his recent publication.

A good source to look at is Napoleon: The Struggle for Germany Volumes 1 and 2 by Michael V Leggiere

https://www.waterstones.com/book/na...-for-germany/michael-v-leggiere/9781107080515

Volume 1 covers the Spring Campaign. According o this the Battle of Lutzen was a very closely fought affair and a very minor victory for Napoleon. Assuming the POD to be the spring campaign and, as the title suggests the Battle of Lutzen the French will have to do considerably better in TTL. Alternatively Ney can do better thn he did at Bautzen, crushing the main Russian/Prussian armies here.

You will also need to look at the French offensive on Berlin during the Spring Campaign for which I suggest Napoleon and Berlin by the same author as above.

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-Berl...ns-Commanders/dp/0806146567#reader_0806146567

I look forward to the development of this timeline,

It makes sense to have the Austrians adopt the wait and see policy. After all they had been beaten too many times by Napoleon before and only narrowly survived the defeat in 1809. From Vienna's point of view another defeat might see Napoleon dethroning the Hapsburg Dynasty altogether. And, since the Hohenzollerns have joined with Russia this may end up being the fate of Frederick William in the event Prussia and Russia lose the wa. Indeed, Prussia itself may end up dismantled and partitioned this time, a risk Leggiere suggests in the first volume of his recent publication.

A good source to look at is Napoleon: The Struggle for Germany Volumes 1 and 2 by Michael V Leggiere

https://www.waterstones.com/book/na...-for-germany/michael-v-leggiere/9781107080515

Volume 1 covers the Spring Campaign. According o this the Battle of Lutzen was a very closely fought affair and a very minor victory for Napoleon. Assuming the POD to be the spring campaign and, as the title suggests the Battle of Lutzen the French will have to do considerably better in TTL. Alternatively Ney can do better thn he did at Bautzen, crushing the main Russian/Prussian armies here.

You will also need to look at the French offensive on Berlin during the Spring Campaign for which I suggest Napoleon and Berlin by the same author as above.

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-Berl...ns-Commanders/dp/0806146567#reader_0806146567

I look forward to the development of this timeline,

Thanks for the comment! I'll have too pick up these books. Right now i'm using this book, along with internet, as my man sources: http://www.amazon.com/Lützen-Bautze...1431530031&sr=8-1&keywords=lutzen+and+bautzen

Would you consider having something bad happening to Talleyrand-Périgord? The double-timing scheming bastard really had it coming, but time and time again Napoléon kept him by his side, as if he was somewhat in awe of him. I don't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure Talleyrand contributed to Napoléon accepting the Austria-proposed ceasefire during the 1813 summer, which turned out to give the Allies just the extra time they needed to bring their full forces to bear, especially since Austria chose that time to intervene... on the side of the Prussians, Russians and Swedes.

Would you consider having something bad happening to Talleyrand-Périgord? The double-timing scheming bastard really had it coming, but time and time again Napoléon kept him by his side, as if he was somewhat in awe of him. I don't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure Talleyrand contributed to Napoléon accepting the Austria-proposed ceasefire during the 1813 summer, which turned out to give the Allies just the extra time they needed to bring their full forces to bear, especially since Austria chose that time to intervene... on the side of the Prussians, Russians and Swedes.

I'll consider it;) I will do some research to see what part he played in the ceasefire. Overall the ceasefire definitely hurt Napoleon and gave the Austrians more time to mobilize.

Part 2: The Approaching Menace

At the onset of 1813, Napoleon tasked his stepson Prince Eugene with delaying the Russian advance into Germany. Eugene established a headquarters at Posen, west of Warsaw, and rallied the remnants of Napoleon’s Grande Armee. Eugene planned to use these men, along with Austrian and Polish allied forces, to make a stand on the Vistula River. This action however was preempted by Austrian General Schwarzenberg’s decision to withdrawal his men into Galicia thus making the Vistula position untenable. Eugene, in response to the Austrians move, ordered a withdrawal to the Oder River and Warsaw was evacuated in early February. Strong garrisons were left behind at Danzig, Modlin, Thorn and Pillau to stall the enemy’s advance.

The approaching Russian menace was not the only issue; the Kingdom of Prussia was another grave threat to the rebounding French Empire. The Prussians had not forgotten how Napoleon had crushed and humiliated them in 1806. On January 22nd, 1813 Prussian King Frederick William suspiciously left Berlin for Breslau. In addition to this Prussian forces in East Prussia, under the command of Yorck, had already effectively gone over to the Russian side. Prussia was however still under effective French occupation and was hesitant to make open war against the emperor. Prussian King Frederick William was not willing to repeat his mistake of 1806, by charging into a war with little support, he would wait for the arrival of Russian troops before taking up arms.

The other states of central Europe, had also not yet made up their minds to fight. Austria was cautious at this junction, still licking its wounds from Wagram, they opted to wait and see policy. Napoleon’s German allies, in the Confederation of the Rhine, were also staying quiet. The time was not yet right for Prussians, Germans and Austrians to unite in a “War of Liberation” against French rule.

map_of_europe_1813.jpg

Last edited:
Map is a little ahead of the TL, but i want you guys to get an understanding. ;)

It would have been interesting if the Austrians fought with the French on the Vistula. The French numbered 14,000, the Austrians 30,000, the Russians 30,000 and the Prussians 18,000 (If they fought). The French/Austrians may have been able to stall, if not halt the Allied advance.

Part 3: “Traitorous Prussians!”

Eugene withdrew across the Oder River and set up a new command post in Frankfurt. His army was reinforced by the French XI Corps, under Marshal St. Cyr, and began the establishment of a defensive line along the Oder. Eugene’s plans were however again upended by unfolding events. On February 20th, the Russians raided Berlin demanded the cities surrender. Though this raid was repulsed the effects were profound.

The populace of northern Germany took the opportunity to rebel against French rule. With support of the Russian vanguard the Prussian rebels drove French forces out of most of north eastern Germany. Hamburg, one of the strongest fortress in Germany, was captured by the Allies. The French commander of the fortress, to Napoleon’s humiliation, had been driven from the city by only a few hundred Cossacks. Eugene faced with this troubled situation ordered yet another pull back this time to the Elbe River. Berlin was abandoned though garrisons were maintained at Spandau, Settin and Kustrin. Napoleon was furious remarking that “all he does is retreat.”

With the long awaited arrival of Russian forces, King Frederick William now began to contemplate open war. Prussian statesman Baron von Stein, who was at this point in the service of the Tsar, was calling for just this. Much of the population as well felt the time was right to throw off the French yoke. The King began secret negotiations with the Russian Tsar and pledged his country to war. On the 28th of February, Prussia and Russia entered into an alliance with the Treaty of Kalisz. Frederick William then on March 17th, 1813 personally met Russian Tzar Alexander at the town of Hoflager. This was followed by an address to the Prussia nation that called on the people to rise up in rebellion against French rule.

On hearing the news Napoleon vowed to deal with “traitorous Prussia” and to wipe their state from the face of Europe. Berlin he said ‘would be turned to rubble.” and the Hohenzollerns “cast out”, to the enclave of East Prussia.

Last edited:
How can you have Hamburg taken by the coalition if Napoleon dared better while they were unable to do so OTL ??? The place had been so well fortified that it could not be taken.

How can you have Hamburg taken by the coalition if Napoleon dared better while they were unable to do so OTL ??? The place had been so well fortified that it could not be taken.

Thanks for the comment:D

Hamburg was taken in OTL but retaken by Davout. Most book gloss over the first part and just focus on Davouts defence of the city later. The garrison commander pretty much just fled the city when the Russians arrived. Napoleon was pissed and sent his best Marshal to salvage the situation.

I found a nice painting of it:
486777847-cossacks-in-hamburg-18-march-1813-1813-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited:
Part 4: Battle of Mockern, April 5th 1813

Napoleon frustrated with Eugene’s constant retreating ordered his stepson to make a stand on the Elbe River. Eugene’s army, now redesignated as the Army of the Elbe, was tasked by Napoleon with maintain a bridgehead over the Elbe and positioning himself for a potential drive on Berlin.

The Prussians meanwhile, with the onset of hostiles, took to the offensive. General Blucher in his normal fashion sped westward from Silesia into Saxony. By the 27th of March his forces entered the Saxon capital of Dresden and in early April the Saale River was reached.

Further north Prussian forces under Yorck and Bulow moved to besiege the French fortress of Magdeburg along the Elbe. On April 5th, the Prussians came into contact with elements of Eugene’s army near the town of Mockern. The Prussian forces launched a series of assaults against a French enemy that outnumbered them two to one. Eugene, stunned at first, was able to recover and drive the Coalition forces back. With this victory at Mockern, Eugene achieved his objective of holding a bridgehead across the Elbe.

Last edited:
Eugene's performance during OTL was poor during this campaign. At Mockern the allied forces were disorganized, attacking over poor terrain and outnumbered 2-1. Despite this the Prussians still managed to push back Eugene's army and he withdrew over the Elbe.

For this ATL i am having Eugene beat off the Prussian attack and maintain his position along the Elbe. This small French victory at Mockern will have two major effects. First the Prussians will have to keep reserves on hand to deal with any push towards Berlin. Second the coalition forces might be more cautious going ahead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Möckern

Some important factors here

1 King Frederick William vacillated a lot in the early months of `1813. According to Leggiere he was "shocked" at the weak strength of Russian regiments. However it was certain Prussian generals (Yorck, Scharnhorst) and promises of British subsidies in March 1813 that relly forced the King's hands

2 Weak state of the French army. Many new conscripts and provisional regiments in he infantry. The French cavalry was terrifyingly weak and IOTL this remained a serious problem in 1813 and 1814

3 Questionable loyalties of the German states to Napoleon Many eg Saxonydid not see action during the Spring Campaign

The challenge for Napoleon, given these problems, will be to achieve more decisive military objectives than at Lutzen/Bautzen IOTL. A more succesful French offensive against Berlin s alos required, If the end sate of the campaign fulfills these criteria and the Russians retreat back into Poland the Prussians would be in a very difficult position. If Napoleon can end the campaign like this he has a chance of convincing Frederick William to consider abandoning the alliance with Russia and egotiaing a settlement with Russia that, perhaps, may not be too unlike Tilsit. However, a victory on this scale will be very hard for Napoleon to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.