¡Mexicanos! Valientes Seguid - A Mexican Empire TL

Probably means Venezuela and Colombia are going to split in this timeline too. :/

Remember, doing a surviving Gran Colombia should be an AHC because of the VERY different ideas that everyone not Bolívar (I mean, Santander, Páez and the guy in Ecuador) had at the time. Even if Bolívar set the example, everyone had its own agenda... so if there would be a joint agenda, maybe, and just maybe the Gran Colombia would survive (Sorry for the Offtopic...)

Deleted member 67076

Remember, doing a surviving Gran Colombia should be an AHC because of the VERY different ideas that everyone not Bolívar (I mean, Santander, Páez and the guy in Ecuador) had at the time. Even if Bolívar set the example, everyone had its own agenda... so if there would be a joint agenda, maybe, and just maybe the Gran Colombia would survive (Sorry for the Offtopic...)
You're thinking of Juan Jose Flores. The guy who carved out his own fiefdom in Ecuador.

And yeah, its hard keeping Colombia together. But not impossible mind you!

There are a number of ways one can do it, by say, having one faction dominate the others, having a good compromise (and by that I mean one that won't lead to open revolt), killing off a few greedy people, keeping Santander and Bolivar working together for much longer, keeping the debt minimal and the financial issues secure, ensuring much more political stability, all of the above, etc.

But yeah, we're going a bit off topic.

People commit atrocities against the English language every day. Heck, there is a reason Engrish exists...

Still, a multi-part Cisplatine War is nice...and a first...
Well, good to see I'm going to be a pioneer on all of this. And the only thing that makes this a bit hard is the lack of sources in Spanish about this. I have to read things in Portuguese, and I also have to take a wild guess on what says over there. Even though, it's easier to understand Portuguese to a Spanish speaker, compared to French.

Because, I aim to misbehave, you know... :cool:

Wow. Just. WOW!

besides... a civil war in Colombia... maybe the start of the conflict between Bolivarists and Santanderists?

Keep it up!

Probably means Venezuela and Colombia are going to split in this timeline too. :/
Well, you'll be surprised when the time comes around. Let's just say it's going to get messy in Gran Colombia.
No, they won't split. Do not quote this.
But yeah, we're going a bit off topic.
Not quite. In fact, it's good to hear opinions on this subject.
[bilingüe]Al menos no son telenovelas... XD[/bilingüe]

Deleted member 67076

Well, you'll be surprised when the time comes around. Let's just say it's going to get messy in Gran Colombia.

Not quite. In fact, it's good to hear opinions on this subject.
[bilingüe]Al menos no son telenovelas... XD[/bilingüe]
My money's on the Federalists winning.

Don't hate bro. There's a certain charm to novelas.

In fact, a federalist approach is the most correct thing. No one wants to pass from a yoke to another, right?

And some telenovelas are an awesome way to unite family (I used to watch A LOT of them with my mom)

Just caught up on this TL...

...and holy smokes! COMANCHES!! The warrior-turned-statesman idea is brilliant. I get so stumped thinking of ways to better (or more quickly) integrate Native American tribes with Western attitudes toward property, leadership, and so forth. I might ask you one day if I can steal that one. :D

Keep it up, this is fucking awesome.

In fact, a federalist approach is the most correct thing. No one wants to pass from a yoke to another, right?

And some telenovelas are an awesome way to unite family (I used to watch A LOT of them with my mom)
Depends on which ones you're talking about. The ones made in the 90's in Mexico were good. From 2007 and on, I have yet to see one that makes sense or that has good writing and not the blatant amount of male torsos that I don't want to see. (I'll admit that at least they know their audience...)

Either way, I only watch them for the fanservice. Or if they have an awesome soundtrack or if they are historical ones.

Just caught up on this TL...

...and holy smokes! COMANCHES!! The warrior-turned-statesman idea is brilliant. I get so stumped thinking of ways to better (or more quickly) integrate Native American tribes with Western attitudes toward property, leadership, and so forth. I might ask you one day if I can steal that one. :D

Keep it up, this is fucking awesome.
Good to see that you liked it.

As for the attempt to take this for a later timeline that you might want to make later on...
Steal it! Ideas are meant to be spread, reused, and used in all ways possible!

Just ran across this and had a lot of LOLs at the humoristic style of the timeline writeups. Moar please! :D

(Sadly, no hablo español)

Hello, ladies and gentlemen.

First of all, I apologize for my horribly long absence, and I will declare that I have been having a hard time trying to balance out my busy schedule and working overtime to earn enough to get a gaming computer. But anyway, I hereby bring you with the next chapter. This time around, we're in for something completely different. Even though, I don't feel this chapter is up to the standards of the rest of the series.

Also, when I get more or less the whole story up to the 1900's, I will bring an ATL version of myself to discuss on this, with his comments listed in teal, like this. More or less to make it a bit more interactive.

So, here you have:

=====================================================

Chapter 5
The First Cisplatine War, part 1:
“Fun times at the shores of the Mar del Plata”

During the Wars of Independence in Latin America, what consists on modern day Cisplatina Province in the Brazilian Empire and the state of Banda Oriental in the Platinean Federation was seized by the Portuguese, partly due to the fact that they wanted to get back the territories that were snubbed from them by the Tordesillas treaty and the multiple Treaties of San Ildefonso, which exacerbated the issue.

However, the motivation behind this land grab would make some sense if you think of it as Portugal taking advantage of several political voids. First of all, setting up the seat of government in Brazil shifted the geopolitical view of the Portuguese monarchy, as in the American continent they would be able to project more power, and that was something that in Europe they could not be able to pull off with the same amount of success. Second, there was also the need to legitimize their rule over the eastern half of the River Plate, something that was achieved once they managed to convince the British that Portuguese rule over the Banda Oriental would be infinitely better than the Spanish one, something that they could agree upon. And lastly, the Spanish exiles in Brazil practically begged for the invasion, partly as a way to prevent the further expansion of the independence movements, as there was the fear that there would be the establishment of a Republic on Brazil, and partly also as a way for the exiles to try to reclaim the Banda Oriental. Sadly for the Spaniards, the king of Portugal, Juan VI, got his way and annexed anything that had or that ever said the letter Ñ on the east of the River Plate in 1816, and expelling the revolutionary leader Artigas from the premises in 1818. This infuriated the Platineans enough to talk for revenge and reconquest for quite some time, while in 1820 the last remnants of the Revolucionarios, this time without the support from La Plata, were defeated.

But the plans for reconquest of the Banda Oriental had to wait... for five years. Five years in which the Brazilians gave autonomy to the Orientales [1], allowing them to keep Spanish as an education and government language, and generally giving them everything they wanted, except, of course, with arms; those were smuggled in by the Platineans. Five years in which Carlos Federico Lecor, the Luso-Brazilian governor of the Province of Cisplatina more or less managed to single-handedly piss off whomever Spanish-speaker supported him in Cisplatina by siding with the Brazilian immigrants. Five years in which the Orientales became an underclass under the Brazilian domination. Five years in which... you get the picture. Anyone who speaked Spanish in Cisplatina was bound to get screwed, either by a rich Brazilian cattle rancher who took the land off from an Oriental, or a group of fugitive Brazilian criminals ganging on an Oriental but not necessarily in a less than chaste way, or perhaps a mix of those two. We’ll never know.

But even without Cisplatina, the situation for Brazil was less than fine and dandy. Some of the Northern provinces banded together to form the Confederation of the Equator, which caused the Brazilian army to leave Cisplatina defended by a small garrison of conscripts, while the more experienced forces marched up north. This so-called Republic was –as you may have guessed- propped up by mad liberals and rich plantation owners, the source of almost all evil on this world. And while the Confederation of the Equator went down easily, they had to deal with dispensing justice to the rebels, including the hanging of Frei Caneca, a priest with Liberal filiations.

And so, on the other side of the Mar del Plata, we had the United Provinces of La Plata. This was a loosely-unified confederation of provinces spanning from the eastern side of the Andes to the River Plate delta, with claims on the Alto Perú and Paraguay.

La Plata had a smaller population, almost about 600,000 people accounted for, and a crappy economy due to the typical Spanish carelessness in colonial administration; however, due to the recent experiences with the Spanish and the British incursions in the River Plate, their navy and army were way better than anything that Brazil could throw at them, in spite of the fact that both were smaller than their northern counterparts. Add to that the willingness from them to liberate their Oriental brethren (if only for selfish purposes) and you had a highly motivated army and a good leadership, which was willing to use all means available for victory.

And this went on until April the 1st, when a small platoon of Platinean, Oriental and Paraguayan soldiers led by Juan Antonio Lavalleja and Manuel Oribe embarked in San Isidro, a small port on the outskirts of Buenos Aires, and avoiding all sorts of Brazilian river patrols in the River Plate delta in a way that would be similar to the eikonogame Pollada [2] albeit on water. They landed later on in a tiny island called Brazo Largo. There, they waited for reinforcements, which poured in at a steady pace.

And at last, Lavalleja and Oribe landed two weeks later in Playa de la Agraciada in April 18th, 1825. With the support of the local populace, the expedition managed to secure several towns, all while Lecor was trying to figure out how to get out of the garrison. And when he did manage to get his forces out on the field, by May 8th, Montevideo was already under siege, the Platineans had already disembarked in western Cisplatina in full force, and had another force on its way there. All of that while Pedro I tried to bring his armies from the north onto the new war theatre.

The time was starting to run out for Brazil, who was starting to lose control of the area...

==========================================================================
[Author notes]
[1] Autonym for ITTL Spanish speaking Uruguayans
[2] This TL’s equivalent to the legendary video game Frogger. This time, with a chicken. In this timeline, “Videogames” are called “Eikonogames”; TVs are going to be known as “Eikonograph” or “Egraphs” (“Eiconógrafo” o “Égrafo” in Spanish) in this timeline.

Last edited:
I apologize, I keep reading this titles as Mexicanos Valientes Squid. I cannot avoid the Aztec/Cthulhu associations.

Nice, its back. :)
It was never gone :p

Yes!!!!!!!! Finally another update!

From what I see, México Imperial will have a strong videogame industry, right?

Either Mexico or Brazil...you know how Brazil loves their Sega Genesis...
More or less. 2014 computer technology in this ATL would be roughly on par with the late 90's. However, it's going to have a very different focus than OTL.

I apologize, I keep reading this titles as Mexicanos Valientes Squid. I cannot avoid the Aztec/Cthulhu associations.

Ancient México and the Cthulhu Mythos... Why this hasn't been done yet?
I am throwing money at the screen, but nothing is happening. :(
WHY is this not being made right now?!

Well, here we go again. Fortunately, I've finished this semester's courses, which means that this timeline will continue as usual.

I also apologize for this obscenely long delay, since researching about the Cisplatine war was a pain in the arse for me: It's either sources in Portuguese (since, the language is way too similar to Spanish) which I have to guess and half-ass on a mental translation, or extremely biased Uruguayan sources, mostly because it's junior high school material. The chapters dealing with this war gave me an awful constipation. I really, really, really, really hated writing this chapter, the previous one, and the one which will follow with the peace negotiations. I just feel it's not up to par with my other writings.

But alas, I'm glad I have to put the kibosh on this chapter, so that the next one will come later this week. It's easier to write about the subsequent negotiations. Enjoy.

P.S.: According to iwl.me, I write like Daniel Defoe on this chapter. Something I honestly disbelieve; these writings are like My Immortal compared to his.

----------------------------​

Chapter 6
The First Cisplatine War, Part 2: “Remove Feiojada From The Premises”.

If you ask a Platinean, they will call it “La Cruzada Libertadora” (The Liberation Crusade). If you ask a Brazilian, they will call it “Rebelião do Cisplatina” (The Cisplatine Rebellion). The rest of the world calls it “The First Cisplatine War” due to the fact this is a war in South America which only a few obsessed history genii [1] are interested in. However, this largely unknown war shaped the Brazilian Empire and the Platinean Federation, in the same way that it shaped the Mexican Empire and the United States a few years later, albeit in different ways.

GVpZfRe.jpg

The first 33 Orientales.

What started with a raid against the Brazilian hold onto the eastern part of the River Plate basin quickly spiralled into a full-scale rebellion against the Brazilian authorities, which were unable to fight back due to the dire situation with supplies and manpower that they had at hand. Lecor and his men were unable to hold the territories with their small garrison, and what ensued was a serious conscription campaign in Brazil, given that their best soldiers were still tied up in anti-insurgent operations in the north. These low-quality armies created from scratch were poorly trained, poorly armed, poorly motivated, and poorly fed, even compared to the Platinean militias. On their defence, the latter had to face off against three different enemies, back to back, in less than two decades. But to make matters worse for the Brazilians, their overzealous war cabinet insisted on pushing for total war against the Platinean-back rebels, mostly, to show them the superiority of the Monarchical form of government.

The Platineans confided to have a quick victory, and bolstered by the success of the revolts, they proceeded to officially declare war against the Brazilian Empire in May 12, 1825. Then, the armies of La Plata began to cross onto Banda Oriental en masse, and in two weeks, about 6,000 Platinean soldiers were already camping in the eastern shores of the Río de la Plata.

Both sides had also different ways to wage war: the Brazilians were (pointlessly) trying to engage the Platineans on pitched battles, and the latter launching successful raids and all sorts of nonstandard attacks against their enemies, namely Brazilians and their collaborationist allies in Montevideo. The point for attempting a pitched battle was, according to the Brazilian war cabinet, to prove the superiority of the Monarchy against these Republican agitators. Sadly for them, the pitched battles didn’t go as expected either…

zfR4mTk.jpg

Predictable...

The first pitched battle between Orientales and Brazilian forces came to be in the hills of the place now known as “Rincón de las Gallinas”, in which the first ones, forming a force of 250 men, managed to defeat a Brazilian force three times the size of the first and got routed, with 140 dead and 300 captured. So much for the pitched battle they wanted so badly, which caused later on the Brazilian garrison in Montevideo to surrender due to the fact that the forces present at Rincón de las Gallinas were supposed to reinforce Montevideo; and with this force gone, the Orientales had an easier time getting Montevideo, therefore legitimizing even more their cause. This all continued afterwards with the Congreso de la Florida, for which we’ll talk later on.

Then we got the battle of Sarandí. Another battle, which also ended as another defeat for Brazil. Again, also another Brazilian army got decimated, and again, this was caused by Lavalleja. And this defeat is also credited to an overzealous military top brass from Brazil, who is also a nobleman, part of the good ol’ tradition of buying your military commissions.

Then the Battle of Ituzaingó came. What started with the Marquis of Barbacena giving pursuit to what it seemed the rear guard of the Oriental-Platinean army led by Juan Antonio Lavalleja got the Brazilian army encircled. After a few hours, in which the Platinean cavalry captured the Brazilian artillery and with the latter’s cavalry away chasing off what seemed to be the rear of Lavalleja’s army, the main Brazilian army ended up having the pitched battle that they wanted so badly. Except that it ended in a disaster for them, with their army routed and suffering extensive losses. Subsequent skirmishes over the Cisplatine plains ended up in similar results, with the Brazilian army demoralized and the Brazilian exchequer in red numbers, and the rest of the Platinean army and the Oriental rebels nowhere to be seen or be fought on anything resembling a coherent battle. [2]

fg6wcRs.jpg

Ituzaingó

On the sea, the war went different, for at least a year, in which the Brazilian navy dominated the River Plate estuary. It all ended when the Brazilians lost the western part of the Cisplatine province.

The final nail on the coffin for Brazilian domination of the Cisplatine came with the defeat at the naval battle of Río de Janeiro in May 9th, 1827. In front of the horrified civilian population, the Platinean navy shelled the harbour, and with that, finishing off whatever hopes the Brazilians had on reaching a stalemate.

It was a matter of time until the British decided to mediate the results of the war, in before the Platineans got off their breeches or someone poked an eye out of the other one. Platineans, Orientales and Brazilians all agreed to negotiate peace terms.

For this purposes, a ceasefire was called by both sides, and agreed upon on the 15th day of June.

----------------------------------

[1] This TL’s equivalent of the term “Nerd”.
[2] OTL, the battle of Ituzaingó was a tactical victory for the Argentines, but a strategical stalemate, with them unable to pursuit the rest of the Brazilian army. ITTL, this battle ends as a decisive victory for the Platineans, which are now in a position to negotiate on favourable terms for themselves.

Deleted member 67076

Oh Brazil, you'll never into South American domination at this rate.