¡Mexicanos! Valientes Seguid - A Mexican Empire TL

I still wonder why I decided to use this style of writing. But insofar, I don't regret it.

Maybe because you felt that Mexican, no, Latin American history needs to be written like that to get more people interested into the facts :) Ok, or the alt-facts. And also, for you to enjoy doing this awesome timeline of yours.

Maybe because you felt that Mexican, no, Latin American history needs to be written like that to get more people interested into the facts :) Ok, or the alt-facts. And also, for you to enjoy doing this awesome timeline of yours.

You do have a valid point over there. Us Mexicans (don't know if the situation is the same over there on Colombia) treat history as a series of pseudo-religious facts given by the SEP (the secretariat that deals with education on a nationwide basis) that are not meant to be touched after they were thrown at us, and to be revered as a dogma. There are historians that try to change that paradigm, but given that a very small amount of people read in this country (It's a complicated socio-economic issue), it's a bit hard to pull off.

But alas, I apologize for not posting this earlier. I'm trying to find good books on the history of Colombia and Venezuela, but I have found none insofar (that, or my google-fu is defective). Let's bring up this new chapter:

Chapter 7
The First Cisplatine War, Part 3: “Peace off, Brazil!”

With the Platinean Navy inflicting a serious defeat on the Brazilian Imperial Navy, the Platinean victory became a foregone conclusion: No matter how much men would Brazil throw at them, the Platineans already had won by this point. Brazil would not be able to hold onto the Cisplatine province anymore, and with the British pressing Brazil to recognize the Platinean territorial gains, Brazil had to call it quits. The Platineans had achieved their war goal: defeating Brazil quickly and decisively.

The peace that followed was set by the British, as the only thing that both parties agreed upon was that the British would make a good mediator in settling this dispute once and for all. And also, the mediators would want a weaker Brazil that could not be able to cause trouble on British interests in the area.

First of all, territorial gains. Insofar, the Brazilians lost the Cisplatine province. It was a no-brainer to hand it over to the United Provinces of La Plata. However, the British didn’t want a powerful Platinean state to counter against their own interests, so their proposition was to allow the independence of the Provincia Oriental. Both Orientales and Platineans refused the offer, and the Brazilians abstained from saying anything from this. Thus, the briefly-lived República de la Banda Oriental briefly came onto being, and Brazil lost its access to the Río de la Plata. Brazil initially refused La Plata these gains, by asserting them that the war then was a blatant act of aggression. However, as a counter-offer, the Platineans offered a referendum to prove that they were willing to give a chance to the Orientales if they chose to self-govern, or join the United Provinces. The Brazilian delegation agreed to this. They thought that the Orientales would pick up independence instead of being ruled by the barbarians from Buenos Aires. They were wrong.

After six months of constant lobbying by both sides to the elites in Montevideo and Buenos Aires, the Orientales chose to join the United Provinces of La Plata. The Banda Oriental Republic was dismantled as a whole and divided into four provinces by the government in Buenos Aires. Logically, this made the most sense, given that a large Banda Oriental would be both a headache, and would have too much power compared to the provinces that were under the wing of Buenos Aires. At its due time, this would become the UPLP’s greatest headache, and would define its form of government later on.

2oYZAoQ.jpg

Platinean and Oriental forces celebrating their victory in Montevideo

For Brazil, this defeat, in both the military and diplomatic areas, was so scandalous that Pedro I had to abdicate in 1830, putting in the throne his infant son Pedro II, casting many doubts about the continuity of the Empire. Then, Pedro I proceeded to die in Portugal, defending his old fatherland against a Republican uprising while trying to expand his dynastical interests, and dying of fever in 1834. If you ask any modern Brazilian, a common reply would be “Good Riddance”; for many of the people who composed the command staff of the Brazilian Army and Pedro I always end up amongst the top ten on the Worst Brazilians list, and they are also listed amongst the greatest military idiots of the 19th century (if not, of the whole modern era), the latter being a complete achievement given how obscure this war is, even amongst history genii. We can also blame for that the Brazilian unwillingness to touch this topic. [1]

Pedro II’s regency council had to clean up the mess left by his father’s abdication, and Brazil narrowly averted republicanism by cleverly playing all the pseudo-republican and republican factions onto squabbling amongst themselves, avoiding that one side would go stronger and giving out political concessions little by little. Modern-day Brazilians hail both Pedro II, and his son, Pedro III, as two of the Greatest Brazilians who have ever lived, in a list that includes famous writers, baseball and rugby players, and other politicians that avoided Brazil’s plummeting into a Republic like those on modern day Europe.

As for the United Provinces of La Plata, the victory proved more problematic than it was originally thought; with the country’s population surging, and the need to administrate all sides of the La Plata river and discrepancies on what would the content of their own constitution, if they were to have a confederataion, a federation or a central government in Buenos Aires, and some other minor details of little importance would be the catalyst of the beginning of the period known as the Guerras Civiles [2] in the United Provinces of La Plata between 1832 and 1850, which Paraguay and Brazil would capitalize later on for their own gains. However, modern Platineans regard most of the military commanders from this time as their finest men who have ever lived, with battleships, streets, cities and battalions named after Rosas, Lavalleja, Brown, de Alvear, Rivadavia, amongst others.

---notes---
[1] For the Brazilians on this timeline, the First Cisplatine War is a taboo subject, and one that guarantees the destruction of any friendship with a Brazilian. Similar to how Mexicans view the Mexican-American war in our timeline.
[2] A period of intermittent warfare between Federalists, Constitutionalists, and Centralists in La Plata.

Well, the Braganca's endure. It would be cool if that Dynasty survives in Brazil even if it falls in Portugal. Gives a new layer to the Braganca's fleeing in the first place.

Love Brazil's referendum gamle failing.

You do have a valid point over there. Us Mexicans (don't know if the situation is the same over there on Colombia) treat history as a series of pseudo-religious facts given by the SEP (the secretariat that deals with education on a nationwide basis) that are not meant to be touched after they were thrown at us, and to be revered as a dogma. There are historians that try to change that paradigm, but given that a very small amount of people read in this country (It's a complicated socio-economic issue), it's a bit hard to pull off.

But alas, I apologize for not posting this earlier. I'm trying to find good books on the history of Colombia and Venezuela, but I have found none insofar (that, or my google-fu is defective). -snip-

Well... while doing the USofC timeline, it was very difficult to find at least coherent information about some costumes, daily Colombian life and culture. Maybe you can find more at http://www.banrepcultural.org/blaavirtual/indice, but there is more information about the half of the XX Century than about the end of the XIX Century (Maybe because of the Thousand Days' War and the BSOD that everyone had when it ended).

Now, about history... the Education Ministry still uses the History of Henao-Arrubla (Historians from the early XX Century). Even when this is a fairly heated subject (as this article can attest: http://www.banrepcultural.org/blaavirtual/revistas/credencial/julio1999/115jesus.htm), History in Latin America should be re-read and re-evaluated for these new times.

BTW, good update :)

This is great. Can you make a map?
Good lord! I forgot to put in the regional map!
Here's the territorial changes.
6rh7fDu.png

In any case, I'll provide a more extended map of South America later on. After I manage to vectorize (or find a vectorized version of) the QBAM map. I find it easier to work with vectors.
Well, the Braganca's endure. It would be cool if that Dynasty survives in Brazil even if it falls in Portugal. Gives a new layer to the Braganca's fleeing in the first place.

Love Brazil's referendum gamle failing.

They will endure. The fact that OTL they are still alive and kicking in Brazil says a lot. (albeit, without power, but that will change here in this timeline)

But anyway, there are going to be less republics in this world. And you will enjoy it.

Well... while doing the USofC timeline, it was very difficult to find at least coherent information about some costumes, daily Colombian life and culture. Maybe you can find more at http://www.banrepcultural.org/blaavirtual/indice, but there is more information about the half of the XX Century than about the end of the XIX Century (Maybe because of the Thousand Days' War and the BSOD that everyone had when it ended).

Now, about history... the Education Ministry still uses the History of Henao-Arrubla (Historians from the early XX Century). Even when this is a fairly heated subject (as this article can attest: http://www.banrepcultural.org/blaavirtual/revistas/credencial/julio1999/115jesus.htm), History in Latin America should be re-read and re-evaluated for these new times.

BTW, good update :)

Thanks! I'll check out those pages you have put over there. Those are going to help a lot, and I can use more of my time on researching.

Well, I'm here again, and the reason why I was in such a long hiatus is the following:
I moved out of my parents' house after considering that I had fallen onto a period of stagnation in my life, in which I just felt that my life was going nowhere. So, I decided to move out and went off to live with two of my best friends (which I consider as my sworn brothers), try different horizons, and see what this new period in my life brings to me. Thus, I have been quite busy during these weeks.
Also, I have been dealing with some serious writer's block, with multiple ideas that are too scattered to complete a full chapter.

But anyway, here's a map of the world during 1828. If there's any vectorised version of the world map used on this forum that I could use, it would be awesome. Anyway:
6amZyeQ.png

Deleted member 67076

Writer's block seems to be a "not-so-serious" disease between us...

BTW, It is me or Bolivia is going to disappear?
Well, Bolivia was part of the Peru-Bolivia Confederation at the time, so its not entirely impossible that such a state would stick together.

Well, I'm here again, and the reason why I was in such a long hiatus is the following:
I moved out of my parents' house after considering that I had fallen onto a period of stagnation in my life, in which I just felt that my life was going nowhere. So, I decided to move out and went off to live with two of my best friends (which I consider as my sworn brothers), try different horizons, and see what this new period in my life brings to me. Thus, I have been quite busy during these weeks.
Also, I have been dealing with some serious writer's block, with multiple ideas that are too scattered to complete a full chapter.

But anyway, here's a map of the world during 1828. If there's any vectorised version of the world map used on this forum that I could use, it would be awesome. Anyway:

*snip*

Nice map, Vault Boy. I'm hoping Oregon goes to the States so we at least still have a few good Pacific ports.....:cool::)

New chapter. I feel a bit dissatisfied with this one, as I feel like I went on circles on many ideas. But alas, I think this is part of the charm.

Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8
The 1826 Constitution and the First Elections in Mexico.​

With the implementation of the 1826 constitution, Mexico could finally consider itself a “civilized” and “democratic” nation. Whether their neighbours say the same... well, only a few angry men would cynically point out that the Emperor still had a small hold on power, and thus it would be disqualified from calling itself a democracy. Gran Colombia was well-held together by its own fear and hatred of the tentative Spanish reconquest, which, given the troubles going on in Spain at the time, were more likely to be imaginary, and would eventually lead to a period of civil war due to the fact they skipped entirely the whole process of creating a decent legislation over there. The other two neighbours within reach were the United States and the British colonies in Central America. The people at London did not care for this country unless it involved trading in Veracruz, Acapulco, Puerto Bagdad[1], Puerto Trujillo [2] or San Francisco. The other ones in Washington were in a confusing time in which they were trying to redefine their own national attitudes towards their neighbours, namely if their territory was meant to be fair game for colonization.

However, we’re going off the point on this. We’re actually supposed to talk about the 1826 constitution. Or at least some of its points, since no one is interested in reading a hand-written document detailing a lot of rules that are no longer relevant to these civilised days.

It was drafted in the Palacio Nacional, where once stood the old Spanish rule over Mexico. For quite some time it was the seat of the Imperial rule over the whole Empire, until the new Imperial Parliament was built over Paseo Agustino in 1880.

This new constitution established a workframe for the country, in which the following points would be included in further revisions to the constitution:
+ Mexico will be a monarchic state, with the Emperor as head of state, with a say in government matters, and the capability of suspending the Constitution in cases where Mexico is on grave danger. Also, the Emperor will be the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Mexican Empire.
+ Likewise, the Empire is a federation of provinces and districts, all of them with an equal say in how the country is going to be run.
+ The Executive Power is vested upon the President of Mexico, which will be elected by the Catholic landowner elites in Mexico that are older than 20 years. Later on, this was revised to allow universal male voting to anyone who was a Mexican citizen by birth or naturalization, regardless of religious creed.
+ [The] Security of the Empire will be the responsibility of the Mexican Armed Forces, with the Inquisition of the Mexican Empire working as the investigative judicial branch of the Empire dedicated to enforce the laws and the good moral norms, and under direct orders of the Emperor. These worked like a charm most of the time. On the frontier it was a bit more complicated, especially in the north due to its low population. For that part of the country, there were the Comanches, which served as a paramilitary force and as the northern border guard for the Empire. The southern borders were guarded by a single Legion of the Imperial Army.
+ The official religion of the Mexican Empire will be the Roman Catholic Church. Other religions may be practiced without disruption from the Inquisition in their respective “Colonias”. This applies to both indigenous tribes and immigrant communities [3]. Inquisition officers would not be allowed unless by permission of the authorities in these “Colonias”. However, in case that they lived in cities, they would be encouraged to convert to Roman Catholicism. In theory, this would appease the conservatives, who still want to keep Mexico a bastion of Roman Catholicism and keeping away pagans and protestants from settling and corrupting the country’s culture. In practice, it was a complete mess to enforce; with the Inquisition receiving an almost unending stream of false accusations from people who didn’t had anything to do with Jews, Protestants, Orthodox, and Muslims of whatever denomination, or also traditional indigenous religions, anthropomorphic animals and aliens. A few years later the Inquisition more or less didn’t care about these minorities, only investigating proven false conversions and treating them duly with their respective financial punishments or heaping religious taxes on the fake converts. Anyways, that law was removed for a very good reason after the 1866 constitution, as it was no longer relevant, and Mexico was in a dire need of more people in the northern and southern frontiers.
+ Freedom of speech, as long as it is not done with the malicious intent of lèse majesté or to disrupt the social or religious order, is a legal right. Same as above, people used it left and right to get back at someone who they didn’t like. In later revisions it was revised along with the whole penal code.
+ Every four years, elections are to be celebrated in all provinces of Mexico.
+ People eligible for voting were the landed elites and the aristocrats in the cities. At this time, it was justified, with most of the peasantry not knowing how to read or write. These voting restriction laws were eventually abolished in the 1864 constitution.

But as always, there are people who digress from these laws, who abuse them, and that bend them to their own benefit.

Mexico’s first prime minister was sworn in later on that year, on December the 1st, 1826. It was the liberal Miguel Ramón Sebastián Domínguez Alemán. His tenure as prime minister was, except for a few public works and rebuilding the country, unremarkable. However, he has the dubious distinction of dying in office in April the 22nd, 1830. He was succeeded temporarily by Valentín Gómez Farías, who proceeded to undermine Agustín I from within, until an anonymous tipoff got him onto trouble with the Inquisition for lèse majesté.

With Spain still an allegedly hostile country, Mexico had to prepare itself for possible Spaniard raids against its ports, or worse, a possible attempt at reconquest from its former colonies, a rather serious prospect given that Perú still remained a Spanish possession and Cuba was quite close to the Yucatán peninsula, let alone the imaginary threats from the Gran Colombia that Spain will always attempt to wage a brutal war of conquest to attempt to retake them. That fabled “Spanish Reconquest” would never arrive. Instead, Spain had to face different problems with the aftershocks of the Napoleonic Wars, and Mexico ended up in a completely different scenario in which their freedom and independence were at stake almost twenty years after the First Constitution.

[1] Former port town in OTL Tamaulipas. OTL, doesn’t exist anymore. ITTL, it will be destroyed as OTL, but later on will be rebuilt as a resort destination in the 1920's, akin to Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta or Cancún.
[2] OTL Trujillo, Honduras.
[3] This only applied to Jews, Muslims, Anglicans, and those from the Orthodox Christianity. American Protestants were denied entry onto the Empire in an on-off basis after the First Mexican-American War unless they converted and accepted to live only in either Mexico City or Durango.