Shuffling the Canon REDUX: A Shuffled Disney & Pixar TL Redone

Pocahontas (1977)
"Whose idea was it to adapt Pocahontas into a cheery Disney film?" - Vincent Canby of the New York Times

---

In 1962, Walt expressed interest in adapting another tale based off mythology or folklore after "Raya and the Last Dragon". In January 1963, it was revealed that pre-production work had begun on a "Pocahontas" film and story artist Otto Englander had started writting a suitable treatment for said film. Adapting the tale of Pocahontas and John Smith was an extremely risky move. Not only would the Xerox animation and varying story treatments cause the final product to look grittier as Disney's usual output, but the original tale of Pocahontas was an extremely controversial story depicting themes of racism against Native Americans and colonialism. The problems mentioned plus the massive failure of "Raya and the Last Dragon" was enough for Walt to shelve the project for a later date.

During the early 1970s, "Pocahontas" re-entered development as a potential testing ground for new upstarting animators like Don Bluth. The new treatment was a lot less grittier than Englander's original treatment, yet was still a dark film for Disney. For one, Pocahontas was aged up to 18 rather than her original pre-teen age. This new draft was a lot more ambitious, delving into topics such as colonialism and heavy political tones. This version of "Pocahontas" focused more on Ratcliffe and his ambitions to rid Native Americans from the New World while Chief Powhatan wants to rid the colonists of his land, with Pocahontas herself being relugated to a side character. This version was torn apart by storymen and executive Card Walker, there was still a lot to be worked on for "Pocahontas".

By the mid-1970s, several drafts for "Pocahontas" had been written. An animal sidekick in the form of a raccoon named Meeko was added as Pocahontas' potential sidekick, and the new plot focused more on the romance between Pocahontas and John Smith. For voice acting, Jimmy MacDonald came out from retirement to help out, he mainly did the voices of the animal characters as well as other sound effects. Sammy Fain wrote songs and music for "Pocahontas", most ntoably "Tomorrow is Another Day". For the first time since "Atlantis: The Lost Empire", none of the songs were sung by the actual characters, rather they were sung by an unseen choir or singer By late 1976, the film was completed and set for a release next year, it would be one of the most divisive animated films to date.

Set in the 17th Century, a group of English colonists led by Governor Ratcliffe reach America to dig for gold and colonise the new settlement. Meanwhile in the Werowocomoco tribe, Chief Powhatan's daughter Pocahontas is set to wed to Kocoum, who Pocahontas refuses to marry. The two parties soon intertwine with each other when Captain John Smith goes hunting for gold and instead encounters Pocahontas. John Smith is soon captured by Powhatan and set to be executed, it is only due to Pocahontas throwing herself in front of Smith when Powhatan backs down. From there, the romantic relationship between Pocahontas and John Smith develops despite refusal and disapprovement from both the Englishmen and Native Americans. Things get worse when Kocoum is killed by Ratcliffe who intends to commit genocide on the Native Americans and take all the land for himself. Now Pocahontas and John Smith must protect their tribe, convince the Englishmen to turn against Ratcliffe and stop Ratcliffe's plans before it is too late.

"Pocahontas" premiered on March 11st 1977, three months before its nationwide release. Due to attempted genocide being a plot point, the film would become the first Disney film to receive a PG rating. The film, while a financial success that dwarfened its initial $7.5 million budget, was a critical disaster that was even worse than that of "Raya and the Last Dragon". The film's message about racism and colonialism was panned by critics and casual moviegoers, many claimed that they were executed horribly. Colonial historians also tore the film apart, criticising the film's depiction of Egnlish colonists and Ratcliffe's role in the film compared to what actually happened. Nowadays, "Pocahontas" is one of, if not the most divisive film in the WDAC. Some claim "Pocahontas" to be an underrated masterpiece and a progressive film which delves into heavy topics, others absolutely hate it and claim "Pocahontas" to be the most racist and offensive Disney film.

Release Date: March 11th 1977 (premiere), June 22nd 1977 (nationwide release)

Cast:
Sandy Duncan (Pocahontas)
Kurt Russell (Captain John Smith)
Bob Newhart (Kocoum)
Jim Jordan (Chief Powhatan)
Jack Albertson (Governor Ratcliffe)

Notable Songs:
Tomorrow is Another Day (sung during a montage of Pocahontas and John Smith's relationship)

Notes: TTL's treatment of Pocahontas is more akin to OTL's version with a lot more dark elements and tones, which was the reason why TTL's Pocahontas has a PG rating. Here, Pocahontas will be the outright most hated Disney film for some time, dethroning Raya. Maybe it'll have some competition when we get to 1985, we'll see.

Last edited:
I'm announcing that I might start the second break earlier since I'm not sure how to handle 1977c to 1990, I'll be back with 1977c when I'm ready.

Nice to see that Pocahontas was a box-office success here, although I can't see Eva Gabor voicing Pocahontas. Having said that, I don't think it would be the most hated film in the canon if it was released in 1977 rather than in 1995 due to its timing. I can still see it getting mixed reviews though.

Having said that, I don't think it would be the most hated film in the canon if it was released in 1977 rather than in 1995 due to its timing. I can still see it getting mixed reviews though.
It's not the most hated film, even though it would be a contender at the time of its release. Here it's more so an extremely divided film, with some claiming it to be an underrated masterpiece while others absolutely hate it. The most hated film in the WDAC has yet to be seen.

although I can't see Eva Gabor voicing Pocahontas.
Eva Gabor was the only person I could think of, since she also played a role in the Rescuers IOTL. Only other potential option was Barbara Luddy but that wouldn't really work.

It's not the most hated film, even though it would be a contender at the time of its release. Here it's more so an extremely divided film, with some claiming it to be an underrated masterpiece while others absolutely hate it. The most hated film in the WDAC has yet to be seen.

Eva Gabor was the only person I could think of, since she also played a role in the Rescuers IOTL. Only other potential option was Barbara Luddy but that wouldn't really work.
What about Sandy Duncan? She voiced Vixie in OTL's Fox and the Hound and she's closer to Pocahontas's age by a significant margin than Gabor. Or alternately, Geraldine Page (who voiced Medusa in OTL's Rescuers) is about 5 years younger than Gabor and has a less distracting accent, no offense to Gabor. Helen Reddy (Nora from OTL's Pete's Dragon) could fit since she's also closer in age and would have a more suitable voice than Eva in my opinion.

What about Sandy Duncan? She voiced Vixie in OTL's Fox and the Hound and she's closer to Pocahontas's age by a significant margin than Gabor. Or alternately, Geraldine Page (who voiced Medusa in OTL's Rescuers) is about 5 years younger than Gabor and has a less distracting accent, no offense to Gabor. Helen Reddy (Nora from OTL's Pete's Dragon) could fit since she's also closer in age and would have a more suitable voice than Eva in my opinion.
I feel like Geraldine Page could work as a villain but changing her voice into the main protagonist could be problematic. Sandy Duncan could work though and I'll consider her and Reddy.

A Look at the Other Animation Studios
So previously I stated that I wouldn't explicitly write about how the other animation studios are doing each decade, shifting the focus solely onto Disney and later Pixar. However I looked at the current line-up of Disney films post-1988 and I feel like I should go into a brief summary of how everyone else is doing so far:

Warner Bros/Leon Schlesinger Studios: The Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies series experienced a lavish golden age which spanned through decades. The studio would spawn its first proper star Porky Pig in the 1935 short "I Haven't Got a Hat", its popularity would increase with Daffy Duck's first appearance in 1937's "Porky's Duck Hunt", and the series truly struck gold with 1940's "A Wild Hare", debuting Bugs Bunny. Seeing Disney's success with "The Little Mermaid", there were talks of Schlesinger and Termite Terrace producing their own animated feature film, either an original script or adapting other media like how Disney was doing. Ultimately the rights to Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" was chosen, directed by all four directorial units as a joint effort. World War 2 and the departures of Bob Clampett and Tex Avery delayed these plans until the 1950s. "Alice in Wonderland" would release in July 1952 to critical acclaim, achieving praise through its slapstick humour and voice acting, credited to who else but Mel Blanc.

Fleischer Studios/Famous Studios: Despite "Gulliver's Travels" releasing in 1939 to a box office success and the success of "Superman", the Fleishcers were struggling under the surface. Paramount had placed the Fleischers under a strict budget for their next film "Mr Bug Goes to Town", you could say it's a penalty for going over-budget for "Gulliver's Travels". The Fleischer Brothers themselves were also undergoing quarrels and a deteriorating relationship. When the time came to renew both men's contracts, Dave Fleischer quit his job and would later go work for Screen Gems. Meanwhile World War 2 arrived at America and "Mr Bug" was forced into delay. As a last ditch attempt to save the soon-to-be bankrupt studio, Paramount would buy out Fleischer Studios, renaming it to "Famous Studios". Max was allowed to stay to direct wartime propaganda shorts. "Mr Bug" was lifted from development limbo after the war and was renamed "Hoppity Goes to Town", releasing in late 1946 to financial and critical success, Hoppity himself became the mascot of Famous Studios.

Walter Lantz: Even though it was Lantz and Universal who now owned Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Lantz was one of the only rival animators to be friends with Walt Disney. After Oswald worn out his welcome in the late 1930s, Disney and Lantz entered negotiations to transfer rights of Oswald back to Disney. Eventually Walt re-gained rights to Oswald after WW2. Meanwhile, Lantz had created a new, more popular character: Woody Woodpecker. Woody made his debut in the 1940 short "Knock Knock", voiced by Mel Blanc. Seeing the success of Disney, Lantz decided to throw his hat into the ring and produce his own feature film. Lantz chose the Arabian folktale "Aladdin and his Magic Lamp" for the basis of his first feature, featuring the assistant comedy duo Abbott and Costello as the two genies respectively. Production wouldn't kick off until after the war in late 1945, and the film itself wasn't released until the fall of 1949. "Aladdin and his Lamp" proved to be a success and prompted Lantz to produce two more films throughout the 1950s and early 60s: "Peter Rabbit" in 1955, using an unused redesign for Oswald Lantz conceptualised during the late 1930s, and perhaps more notably "The Adventures of Pinocchio" in 1960, the latter being Lantz's most acclaimed film.

MGM: MGM was perhaps the biggest studio at Hollywood by 1937, and yet their animation division was only so and so. It wuldn't be until Joseph Barbara and William Hanna teamed up to produce what would become the studio's biggest success: An intially one-off short featuring a cat and mouse duo, titled "Puss Gets the Boot". The short was so successful that Texas businesswoman Bessa Short sent a letter to MGM and asked for more cat and mouse shorts. The duo, now named Tom and Jerry, would be comissioned into a series and would become the premier cartoon series next to Droopy. As if that wasn't enough, Tex Avery left Schlesinger in 1941 and jumped ship to MGM. Avery was responsible for many, many creative and comedic shorts, his most notable output being "Red Hot Riding Hood", "Screwball Squirrel" and many Droopy shorts. Ironically, MGM never toyed with producing any aniamted features, the shorts were enough to suffice.

---

Release Dates of films produced by the other studios:
Hoppity Goes to Town (Famous Studios): December 5th 1946
Aladdin and his Lamp (Walter Lantz/Universal): November 25th 1949
Alice in Wonderland (Warner Bros): July 28th 1952
Peter Rabbit (Walter Lantz/Universal): June 22nd 1955
The Adventures of Pinocchio (Walter Lantz/Universal): February 7th 1960

And on a side note, Terrytoons and Screen Gems still exist and are unchanged from OTL.

So previously I stated that I wouldn't explicitly write about how the other animation studios are doing each decade, shifting the focus solely onto Disney and later Pixar. However I looked at the current line-up of Disney films post-1988 and I feel like I should go into a brief summary of how everyone else is doing so far:

Warner Bros/Leon Schlesinger Studios: The Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies series experienced a lavish golden age which spanned through decades. The studio would spawn its first proper star Porky Pig in the 1935 short "I Haven't Got a Hat", its popularity would increase with Daffy Duck's first appearance in 1937's "Porky's Duck Hunt", and the series truly struck gold with 1940's "A Wild Hare", debuting Bugs Bunny. Seeing Disney's success with "The Little Mermaid", there were talks of Schlesinger and Termite Terrace producing their own animated feature film, either an original script or adapting other media like how Disney was doing. Ultimately the rights to Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" was chosen, directed by all four directorial units as a joint effort. World War 2 and the departures of Bob Clampett and Tex Avery delayed these plans until the 1950s. "Alice in Wonderland" would release in July 1952 to critical acclaim, achieving praise through its slapstick humour and voice acting, credited to who else but Mel Blanc.

Fleischer Studios/Famous Studios: Despite "Gulliver's Travels" releasing in 1939 to a box office success and the success of "Superman", the Fleishcers were struggling under the surface. Paramount had placed the Fleischers under a strict budget for their next film "Mr Bug Goes to Town", you could say it's a penalty for going over-budget for "Gulliver's Travels". The Fleischer Brothers themselves were also undergoing quarrels and a deteriorating relationship. When the time came to renew both men's contracts, Dave Fleischer quit his job and would later go work for Screen Gems. Meanwhile World War 2 arrived at America and "Mr Bug" was forced into delay. As a last ditch attempt to save the soon-to-be bankrupt studio, Paramount would buy out Fleischer Studios, renaming it to "Famous Studios". Max was allowed to stay to direct wartime propaganda shorts. "Mr Bug" was lifted from development limbo after the war and was renamed "Hoppity Goes to Town", releasing in late 1946 to financial and critical success, Hoppity himself became the mascot of Famous Studios.

Walter Lantz: Even though it was Lantz and Universal who now owned Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Lantz was one of the only rival animators to be friends with Walt Disney. After Oswald worn out his welcome in the late 1930s, Disney and Lantz entered negotiations to transfer rights of Oswald back to Disney. Eventually Walt re-gained rights to Oswald after WW2. Meanwhile, Lantz had created a new, more popular character: Woody Woodpecker. Woody made his debut in the 1940 short "Knock Knock", voiced by Mel Blanc. Seeing the success of Disney, Lantz decided to throw his hat into the ring and produce his own feature film. Lantz chose the Arabian folktale "Aladdin and his Magic Lamp" for the basis of his first feature, featuring the assistant comedy duo Abbott and Costello as the two genies respectively. Production wouldn't kick off until after the war in late 1945, and the film itself wasn't released until the fall of 1949. "Aladdin and his Lamp" proved to be a success and prompted Lantz to produce two more films throughout the 1950s and early 60s: "Peter Rabbit" in 1955, using an unused redesign for Oswald Lantz conceptualised during the late 1930s, and perhaps more notably "The Adventures of Pinocchio" in 1960, the latter being Lantz's most acclaimed film.

MGM: MGM was perhaps the biggest studio at Hollywood by 1937, and yet their animation division was only so and so. It wuldn't be until Joseph Barbara and William Hanna teamed up to produce what would become the studio's biggest success: An intially one-off short featuring a cat and mouse duo, titled "Puss Gets the Boot". The short was so successful that Texas businesswoman Bessa Short sent a letter to MGM and asked for more cat and mouse shorts. The duo, now named Tom and Jerry, would be comissioned into a series and would become the premier cartoon series next to Droopy. As if that wasn't enough, Tex Avery left Schlesinger in 1941 and jumped ship to MGM. Avery was responsible for many, many creative and comedic shorts, his most notable output being "Red Hot Riding Hood", "Screwball Squirrel" and many Droopy shorts. Ironically, MGM never toyed with producing any aniamted features, the shorts were enough to suffice.

---

And on a side note, Terrytoons and Screen Gems still exist and are unchanged from OTL.
What have Famous Studios done since HGTT?

---

What have WB and Paramount done since the 1950s?

It's official, I'm starting the break from this TL earlier than I expected. It'll take some time before I return.

To keep anticipation, I'll drop some hints regarding the films pre-Renaissance:

1981: Largely reflective of the time of its release IOTL and potentially ITTL
1985: Both a box office failure IOTL and ITTL
1986: Based on a book
1988: Will be based on a novel to some degree

It's official, I'm starting the break from this TL earlier than I expected. It'll take some time before I return.

To keep anticipation, I'll drop some hints regarding the films pre-Renaissance:

1981: Largely reflective of the time of its release IOTL and potentially ITTL
1985: Both a box office failure IOTL and ITTL
1986: Based on a book
1988: Will be based on a novel to some degree
Ok then, and now for my guesses.
1981: The Princess and the Frog
1985: Strange World
1986: Winnie the Pooh
1988: The Jungle Book

I'm not returning yet but I have began to consider including "DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp" and "James and the Giant Peach" in the list of shuffled films, I wonder would it be a good idea to do so.

Also for the reasoning of the other hybrids, "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was included as it was almost released within the WDAC IOTL, and "The Wild" is listed as a Disney Classic in some countries while "Dinosaur" is omitted for some reason. The others came down to how iconic and how popular they were outside of the WDAC (sans Song of the South).

I'm not returning yet but I have began to consider including "DuckTales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp" and "James and the Giant Peach" in the list of shuffled films, I wonder would it be a good idea to do so.

Also for the reasoning of the other hybrids, "The Nightmare Before Christmas" was included as it was almost released within the WDAC IOTL, and "The Wild" is listed as a Disney Classic in some countries while "Dinosaur" is omitted for some reason. The others came down to how iconic and how popular they were outside of the WDAC (sans Song of the South).
Hmm…I wonder if you should.

“James and the Giant Peach” would be interesting to see, but I’m not really interested in seeing "DuckTales”. You could still include it if you’d want to, though.

Last edited:
Perhaps

I figured these two were probably the most noteworthy picks. I actually also considered the Tigger Movie but decided against it given the placement of both Pooh movies.
If the Winnie the Pooh movies are placed far apart, I could see the Tigger Movie being a possible "bridge" between the two films.