With the amount of resources the Yuan poured into the war, it's probably not worth their while. The whole invasion is just an exercise in ego, with nothing else to show for. When all else is said and done, everyone will just be worse off, except the Yuan's rival khanates and enemies on the mainland.
It's a sunk cost fallacy that permeates to the highest levels of the Yuan Dynasty, capable convincing even a ruler like Temur Khan who preferred isolationism that it's best to finish the job rather than get embroiled in wars every few years.

On the other hand, getting to loot a bunch of stuff from Japan (and that's even before the amount demanded for a truce) was no doubt nice. Some warriors no doubt got rich, and they aren't the ones who have to figure out how to pay for the war and reduce inflation. And being able to directly force Kyushu to send rice is good for the food situation in China.
Except if comparing with the Majapahit ordeal of OTL, this is far better. Ofc our ITTL mongols don't know that, so let them wallow over their wasted resources
True. It conquers territory and gives the Yuan an external enemy to direct their attention against rather than endless intrigue and battles against internal factions and other khanates.

Chapter 32 - Clash of Ministers
-XXXII-
"Clash of Ministers"

The lay priest and officer of the Left Division of Outer Palace Guard, Nagasaki Nyuudou Enki, disturbed our state's rightful order, willfully defiled the harmony between lord and minister, stolen many properties across many provinces, has inflicted unjust punishments on his imperial majesty's subjects, and delights in the suffering of the people. Is not this outrage of usurpation and disorder without comparison? He is an enemy of the court and its ministers. Therefore, upright warriors are to assemble. At once the rebels must be hunted down and apprehended; we shall ensure those who contribute honorable service their just reward. [1]

- Imperial order issued by Regent Kujou Moronori, August 1, 1305

---
Kamakura, Sagami Province, August 3, 1305​

Nagasaki Enki watched the fires burning as he sat in the manor of courtier Oinomikado Nobutsugu. The elderly Oinomikado seemed almost frightful, as did his son Yoshimune, although his grandson Fuyuuji seemed unconcerned. Beside Enki stood the formal and dignified Houjou Tomouji, Nobutsugu's son-in-law, leading the contigent of guards protecting the Oinomikado manor from the disturbance in the city.

"I-it seems this battle is only happening because you made a false step, L-Lord Nagasaki," the old Oinomikado accused. "I-I have nothing to do with it, and I request you restore order to Kamakura at once!"

"Patience, Lord Oinomikado," Enki replied. "The rebels will bow, for they do not know the severity of their crimes and the righteousness by which they are being punished." Oinomikado and his son glanced at each other, while Fuyuuji looked longingly at the sword on his grandfather's hip. "Your family should not be concerned with the battle so much as its aftermath."

"What do you mean, Lord Nagasaki?" asked Yoshimune.

"Many in the court have sided with the shogun and his revolt against his majesty," Enki answered. "When the Shogun is banished and a properly loyal Shogun assumes his place, he will be certain to conduct a thorough review of those who supported the rebels and ensure the ringleaders are banished. It is certain that your loyalty will be rewarded."

"If the locust were not destructive and tenacious, we would not fear it." Yoshimune noted. "Your victory is not assured." Enki smirked at the courtier's pointed example.

"Saionji Sanekane and his associates are indeed a locust swarm consuming our nation, but tenacity is no substitute for intelligence," Enki said. "Locusts cannot survive outside of an environment that favours it. Saionji has forgotten that court and Shogunate are two separate institutions. He will be reminded of this fact greatly in the days to come." If the Houjou clan believed as Saionji thinks they do, they would never have risen to power. Trying to buy their loyalty with meaningless offices and minor privileges is pointless--if they do not trust you utterly, they will never accept your intervention in their affairs.

"Does that mean that you will grant offices our family deserves?" Fuyuuji said. "My god, Grandfather shall be at the head of the court! And I won't just be some mere counsellor but a powerful minister!"

"Calm yourself, Fuyuuji," the elder Oinomikado said. But one look in his eye showed he shared the same dream as his grandson.

"Banishing the Saionji will be a wonderful thing," Yoshimune noted. "They've made the court and emperor their personal plaything and fancy themselves heads of all us Fujiwara. Lord Saionji even betrayed his loyalty to the rightful line of emperors [2]. But...there are few among the regent houses left after the invader captured so many of them, at least those who are not kinsmen of the Saionji. We should not seek to become the Saionji, but to restore proper order in the function of the court."

"The choice of regent shall be a matter for the court, his majesty the retired emperor, and his majesty the emperor himself when he comes of age," Enki said. "We of the Shogunate only seek the court is beholden to the same order that heaven subjects all of us to."

"I suppose. As for you, my son, his majesty can always promote a promising man quickly and make him regent," Nobutsugu said.

"Someone like Konoe Iemoto, I guess," Yoshimune said. "If he survives this madness. So much for Kamakura being safe."

"As you shall see soon, there is no safer city in the world than Kamakura," Enki said. "And please see to it that you understand thoroughly your new role at court. The tragic circumstances of our nation's invasion and the rebel activity we face has forced Shogunate and court to work together far more than usual. Even after the Saionji are scattered to the winds, we will still require someone capable of assisting us in carrying out his majesty's will."

"We shall do so," Nobutsugu said. "You have my word, and the word of my dear heirs."

Enki rose and bowed to Nobutsugu.

"Until our next meeting, future Grand Chancellor. Now then, I shall carry out my mission of defending the honorable ministers of the court from the rebels who threaten them." With that, Enki left the manor into the humid morning air with a smirk on his face. These men will be of great use in cleaning up the mess the Saionji have created. In these chaotic times, the Shogunate must ensure the most capable ministers achieve their rightful positions.

---
Kamakura, Sagami Province, August 3, 1305​

Shogun Takaharu looked upon the chaotic streets of Kamakura in dismay. Those brave citizens who rose up could not hold the line, but shockingly the warriors of the Houjou clan gave them no quarter. Even the elderly and children among them faced the blade of Houjou samurai who rode them down on horseback or hacked them up on foot. Their blood filled the streets as even his own warriors began nervously stepping back in worry of the vigorous Houjou assault.

"Un-unbelievable they would go this far!" the court noble Tachibana no Tomokuni gasped, his jaw agape. He reflexively pointed his sword toward the incoming enemy. "Th-these are our people!"

"They are warriors," the captain of the Shogunal Attendants Asuke Sadachika said. To the Shogun, it still looked strange to see such a frequent guest of court and Shogunate alike in full armor [3]. "All those who take up arms are warriors, and that includes you, Tomokuni. You wear armour as a warrior and carry a sword as a warrior, so you will not be spared."

Takaharu wasn't sure if he agreed with his captain's assessment, but it seemed hard to contest. He wore that same fine armour and carried a fine blade, proving that he too was a warrior now, not just a minister of his emperor but a soldier fighting to protect his emperor. Even so, it felt absolutely mad. The people of Kamakura have been whipped into a frenzy. Anyone persuasive may have done the same, and they will soon return to normal. But these men slaughter them as they might the invader--what thoughtless cruelty! Does Nagasaki Enki even care for the future?

A warrior ran up to him and prostrated himself before him, his face on the dusty ground of the street as he cast his sword at Takaharu's feet. Several attendants followed as well and likewise prostrated. Is that Sasaki Sadamune again? It is a pity he did not succeed at carrying out the coup last night."

"Exalted shogun, I seek permission to take my own life. For I failed to punish the rebel Nagasaki Enki and for my failure this massacre occurred."

"You are better off taking your loyalty and using it in battle," Takaharu answered. "Go on, you and your men should charge right into the enemy and stem the tide of defeat." Noticing the enemy coming closer and his archer Sayou Tamenori apparently out of arrows, he started considering a change of strategy. "Asuke, how are the warriors in the other streets?"

"They do not seem to be doing so well," Asuke replied. "But Lord Iga reports our path to retreat is not yet cut off."

"We still greatly outnumber them," his chief general Nagai Sadashige said. "If we can crush them here, then we might spare our nation from civil war in such a desperate time."

"Then the war will not spare Kamakura," Takaharu answered. "Already the fires will be consuming the city and hundreds are dying before my eyes. Let us retreat."

"As you wish," Nagai replied, somewhat dejected. A fierce Houjou clan warrior came at them covered in blood as he broke through the lines with a great scream. His blade decapitated one of Sasaki's warriors as he raised his sword to strike the Shogun. But just as fast as he charged he collapsed at Takaharu's feet from a great slash to his back.

"My apologies for letting him get so close," said Kusunoki Masato. "The enemy is motivated beyond belief."

"I am inclined to agree," Takaharu answered back. "Sasaki, serve as my rearguard. Asuke, rally my Attendants and let us retreat. Nagai, ensure as many of the loyal citizens of Kamakura retreat. We will need an army in the turmoil to come."

The three captains in question affirmed Takaharu's orders and ran off to carry out the task. Tachibana and Sayou shielded the Shogun as he walked toward the hills of the city, preparing his exit. That will be our next battlefield. I have imagined a battle might take place there and ordered my loyal men to prepare a strategy for it.

He halted, turning to his warriors and stepping out from the protection of the Attendants.

"Do not think this is the end of the battle, but simply the beginning! History shows the prudence in a well-timed retreat. Did not a minister as wicked as Dong Zhuo win many victories against those warriors who motivated by justice sought to destroy him? Did not Nagasaki Enki's own ancestor Kiyomori defeat the righteous Minamoto no Yorimasa? Yet both Dong Zhuo and Kiyomori now suffer nigh-eternal torment for their victories proved as ephemeral as their lives. So too shall Nagasaki! Let us fly to the gates of the city, crush his wicked loyalists, and show the men of the provinces our just cause as we prepare our return to Kamakura!"

---
Mino Province, August 12, 1305​

Takeda Tokitsuna pondered the letter in his hands, delivered by the exhausted young warrior Asuke Sadachika on horseback before him. He could hardly believe its contents that accused Nagasaki Enki of countless crimes and ordered his apprehension. Nagasaki Enki is the most powerful man in this country. To oppose him is to oppose the Houjou, and to oppose the Houjou is to oppose the Emperor, for they are the rightful custodians of the Shogunate. Kujou is a fool for acting as his ancestor and thinking he can intervene in the Shogunate's affairs.

"Is that order not insane?" his friend and brother-in-law Houjou Munenaga asked, seemingly nervous of its implications. "He'll be crushed in an instant and give that bastard Enki justification for a massacre! How few are those who dare oppose him!"

"I-it isn't that simple," the messenger said, his breathing heavy. "Shogun Takaharu himself is following the order as a loyal servant of the court. All the Shogun's warriors are to--"

"H-has the Shogun has erred too?" Tokitsuna said, shocked to hear that. If even the Shogun has revolted, then matters in Kamakura must be terrible to behold now.

"The Shogun is a figure of impartiality," Munenaga spoke. "We in the Houjou clan are tasked with keeping him impartial. If he cannot keep to his duties, he is to resign at once. That Shogun Takaharu refused to resign is worrying, especially in times like these."

"I believe so as well," Tokitsuna said. "Enki is a poison to the body of our nation, but rebellion is the viper spreading it." Munenaga nodded at the observation in agreeance before turning to Asuke.

"We cannot follow this order," Munenaga replied. "If it is a just order, then our contribution is not necessary, for justice shall prevail."

With that, the two lords returned to discussions of poetry and Zen, more productive discussions for the peaceful era which they pray had at last returned. After some time, the peace was disturbed by loud discussions outside the room.

"Something's amiss out there. I suggest we check," Tokitsuna said. Munenaga nodded and the two rose to their feet.

In burst a crazed young man Tokitsuna recognised at once as Henmi Nobutsune. He bowed at once.

"My lord, the messenger of the Toki clan arrived just now! He said that Toki Yorisada and Lord Chuujou are assembling a great army that will be here in just three days!" Henmi's panic struck a chord with Tokitsuna--this was totally unexpected. Lord Toki is a demanding man, but Nagasaki dealt with him well, and dealt with Lord Chuujou even better. Just what is making those two men try and stand against him like this?

"W-We need to take shelter soon," Munenaga said, worry blooming on his face. "Half our army hails from Mino or Owari, and Chuujou and his allies are strong here in Mikawa as well. We'd be crushed against his force."

"No matter, let us hear out his messenger," Tokitsuna replied, trying to ignore those same misgivings. "Lord Toki believes he might persuade me to his side, otherwise that messenger would have been an assassin out to kill me and as many of my close associates as possible." And if worst comes to worst, I will have to do the same with the warriors from Mino, Owari, and Mikawa in my army.

The messenger knelt before Tokitsuna in the main room surrounded by his armed warriors. He prostrated his face on the mat as Tokitsuna walked in and sat down and laid a box at his feet.

"Enough formality. Just what are you doing here?" Tokitsuna said.

"Please, Lord Takeda, open the box so you might see the cause of Lord Toki's actions," the messenger said. Tokitsuna motioned a servant to open the box, and his eyes widened at a human head inside laying atop a bloody banner.

"This is head of Lord Seki Moriyasu," the messenger said. "I, Aeba Kuninobu, slew Lord Seki on behalf of my lord Toki Yorisada, for Lord Seki has lied to the Shogun and stolen rewards that rightfully belong to Lord Toki. Lord Toki believes Lord Nagasaki is behind the corruption we see in the Shogunate and seeks to purge it with force if necessary."

"Murdering a vassal of my clan," Munenaga muttered. "Just for that I ought behead you on the spot."

"I am certain my lord did not wish for such drastic matters to occur, but Nagasaki Enki has forced this terrible situation upon us all."

"If only he could solve his own problems instead of thrusting them on the unwilling." Tokitsuna complained, pondering the situation. If I do not help the Toki, my head might adorn a similar box since the Toki no doubt have assassins amongst us, potentially even this Aeba Kuninobu who seems like a talented fighter. I may be able to overcome many disadvantages and beat their army, but what will I gain from it? Nagasaki Enki is a man who cultivates obedience, not talent.

"My lord, let us rise up and kill Nagasaki Enki!" exclaimed Henmi Nobutsune, stepping forward with youthful vigour.

"I agree. Nagasaki Enki cannot reward us all with land. I feel he is stingy and corrupt and leading this nation to ruin," concurred Hiraga Koremasa, another younger general. "He could make all of Mino, Owari, and Mikawa yours, and you might give us the reward befitting out loyalty, and that would still be insufficient so long as Nagasaki manipulates the Houjou."

"Consider that both Lord Nagai and Lord Shishio remain in Kamakura," said his cousin Wakasa Tadakane. "Even if you must join Nagasaki Enki, it would only be just if you yourself judged them as their former commander rather than leaving them to the slander of their enemies."

The last point resonated for Tokitsuna. Both men served valiantly in the war, and without Nagai in particular with his skill at organising armies and convincing the government of the danger, the invaders would have done far worse damage. Tch, I'm really trapped into making a terrible decision no matter what I choose.

"Going against Lord Nagasaki is dangerous," Munenaga said. "Lord Hiraga, Lord Henmi, you are too young and impulsive to know what you are advocating for."

"We're doomed either way," Tokitsuna said, cutting off an annoyed Henmi. "But there is virtue in removing a corrupt minister. It is clear that Lord Nagasaki fears your influence for your victories, Munenaga."

Munenaga remained silent, the words undoubtedly echoing in his mind.

"V-very well. We will remove Lord Nagasaki," he said with hesitation. He makes the hardest choice of all of us, for he is rebelling against his own clan. And he knows he will have to tell the Houjou vassals among us the situation and deal with their wrath.

"I am glad I can lend you my strength for another campaign," Tokitsuna said. "May this be the last time I must do so for anyone."

---
Komekani, Sagami Province, November 28, 1305​

Onozawa Sanetsuna rode fast at the head of his men alongside the hillside road. But it was not a charge for victory but one of frustration. My men are fools! They are falling right into the enemy's trap. They just follow that idiot Nagasaki Takayori who promises them eternal fame! Around him and on a trail above him, the riders sang lines from the Heike Monogatari, regaling the old story of the Battle of Ishibashiyama fought on these very cliffs 120 years prior. Ahead he caught glimpses of the tails of enemy horses and their occasional arrows.

He rode up alongside a more experienced commander, Houjou Chikatoki, a man he fought alongside on many campaigns.

"Lord Houjou, can you not stop Lord Nagasaki?" he yelled as he fired an arrow through the throat of an enemy spearman who suicidally rushed at him. "He is leading us to doom!"

"If we stop here, who among us will want to fight anymore?" Houjou replied. "I cannot let this chance for victory slip from my grasp out of excessive caution."

"Lord Nagasaki must recall that the same man the Taira defeated at this place later destroyed all the Taira but his own ancestor," Sanetsuna countered. "If he does not recall, then he will merely repeat that failure."

"Enough, Onozawa! Takayori might not have a clue what he is doing, but he knows well that too much caution brings only defeat. Now fight!" Chikatoki rushed further away alongside several of his own riders. He is only so bold because he is finally given an opportunity to directly ingratiate himself to Nagasaki Enki and raise his branch family's status.

Up ahead, the path widened as Onozawa say the humble houses of a fishing village. The remaining enemy soldiers bunched on the main road through the village, cavalry at their center surrounded by spearmen and a few archers. The four diamonds of the Takeda clan's crest fluttered on the banners illuminated by torchlight. They can't have more than 200 men remaining after all that fighting earlier, and Nagasaki's men on the path higher up the hill will surely flank them. Yet why do I feel something ominous about this?

"Halt!" he shouted, hoping at least some of his own men would listen. The enemy archers shot arrows that killed a few of Houjou's riders, but their cavalry didn't charge. Instead, Houjou's men fired their own arrows as they rushed forward, eager to take the head of the enemy commander Henmi Nobutsune. A few of enemies turned their attention to Sanetsuna's left as Nagasaki's men came roaring forth into the village with their shell trumpets blowing. Soldiers lept from their horses and started hacking into the lines of Henmi's rebels.

Then they started dropping dead. Burning arrows shot from every corner of the houses as archers and crossbowmen emerged. Sanetsuna's eyes widened from the light of countless arrows soaring overhead, striking him and the men around him. He lept from his horse as it reared back in pain and nearly collapsed on him. His heart pounded in that horrible moment he was proven right about the trap prepared for them.

"Lord Houjou! Lord Nagasaki!" Sanetsuna shouted as he borrowed the horse of one of his men and rode forth, firing his own bow in panic. Disagreeable as they are, I cannot let either of them die! Suddenly a few warriors emerged from the house and braced themselves on their spears and in a flash Sanetsuna fell from his horse. When he came to seconds later, he felt ill and could hardly move. A warrior helped him to his feet, but by now the damage had been done. The village was burning and thousands of enemy troops swarmed them. The songs and joy from earlier that evening vanished in the screams of agony and cries of battle.

"Lord Onozawa, are you okay? We must help Lord Houjou, I fear he is in grave danger!"

Sanetsuna could do nothing but just stare as his whole body ached. An arrow from afar struck his arm, but it only made him grit his teeth harder. Cries of "For Lord Tsubarai! For Lord Tsubarai!" rose from the enemy's lines, indicating the genius commander who arranged the ambush he stumbled into. The Tiger's Paw himself, Tsubarai Nobutsugu, Takeda Tokitsuna's most trusted general.

"I could not save them surrounded by friends, but you expect me to save them surrounded by enemies?" he complained. Even so, that vague sense of duty spurred him onward. He gripped his sword tighter and rushed into the fray, hoping his lord survived out there somewhere.

---​

Japan never suffered a worse disaster than the fourth Mongol invasion of Japan. One million people perished, half the nation fell under Mongol domination, and countless warriors perished. In the end, the ruling Kamakura Shogunate survived thanks to the 1305 Tensei Truce brought on by political turmoil in China, but there were many among the government who did not desire such a peace. Chief among these was the powerful minister Nagasaki Enki who viewed the Tensei Truce as undercutting his authority. The actions of Nagasaki and his rival, the powerful courtier Saionji Sanekane, would cause a clash between the Imperial Court and Shogunate that had not been seen in generations.

In all past conflicts between Mongols and Japanese, the concern of "how should the warriors be rewarded" always played heavily in domestic politics. This was a concern the Shogunate could never answer. They attempted to force temples and courtiers to return lands the warriors mortgaged out of poverty, they tried policies of debt forgiveness, and they tried making warriors direct subjects of the Shogunate, but none of these ever worked on a sizable scale. Further, they brought with them deadly purges as ministers clashed over policy, purges which led directly to the rise of the Mongol collaborationist government in Hakata and robbed the Kamakura Shogunate of popular support.

As the Shogunate decayed, other institutions stepped in to fill the void. The most prominent was the Imperial Court, which supervised the powerful shrines and temples of Japan. Leading them was Saionji Sanekane, who rose to power as the Kanto Envoy in charge of negotiations between Court and Shogunate. The increasingly bankrupt Shogunate came to rely on Saionji's patronage, for the Court controlled not just the moneylenders but institutions that might be taxed such as guilds. This let Saionji gain incredible power and institute policies favourable to allied institutions such as tolerating representatives of moneylending institutions to serve as land stewards and other methods of undercutting the warrior class.

As with the previous conflicts with the Mongols, a large number of landless samurai termed rounin filled Japan, their lands having been confiscated by the invader lords. While some chose to defect to the Mongol-controlled Kingdom of Japan in hopes of maintaining at least some of their land, many remained loyal to the Kamakura Shogunate but demanded new lands to restore their livelihood and reward them for service during the invasions.

Not all rounin were direct vassals of the Shogunate. Some were direct vassals of the Houjou clan--these men had an easy time of things for the Houjou controlled around 20% of land in Japan. Others were direct vassals of the Shogunate--they faced an uphill battle, but at the very least could expedite their appeals and more easily have their concerns heard. Yet many of them held no position at all, especially those of the Kinai region near Kyoto. The worst off were the ashigaru, for they could either return to their now-occupied village or face the arduous task of finding acceptance in another village which often resulted in total loss of social status [4].

The most common way to support these men were new jobs as bodyguards for monasteries or courtiers. The warriors of the Kinai in particular viewed this as their duty, for they always held close links with the court. During the years 1294 to 1305 and especially after 1301, some Kinai warriors acquired sizable amounts of land from the institutions they served. They settled their ashigaru on this land thus building a new system barely represented by the Shogunate. This came with its own challenges, for this land often already had official land stewards. Even during the war, rounin sporadically clashed with Kamakura-appointed land stewards in what led to endless litigation. It was thus in the Court's interest to back their allies using Saionji's post as envoy.

With declining relations between Shogunate and Court, Saionji attempted a legitimisation of this system through the person of the Shogun himself. In April 1305, he helped Shogun Takaharu create the Shogunal Attendants (御供衆, Otomo-shuu), an official bodyguard unit for the Shogun. To avoid it being subject to Houjou control as other Shogunate institutions, officially it was for men who accompanied the Shogun to his visits at shrines, temples, and the Imperial Court. The Houjou could only try and deny its funding, but it was funded privately by Takaharu himself. Yet because of its official purpose, Takaharu was forced to keep the unit small so it numbered only twelve men.

Takaharu selected these members from men who displayed talent as both fighters and leaders. Its leader was Asuke Sadachika (足助貞親), head of a warrior family of long-time loyalty to the court, and its vice-captain was none other than Shishido Tomotoki, a young general known for serving Takeda Tokitsuna. Others such as Kinai warrior and akutou Kusunoki Masato and the Asatani brothers Yoshiaki and Masayoshi were pardonded akutou--it is believed Takaharu was both impressed by their talent and also believed men despised by the government made loyal servants. These famed twelve men were:

*Captain of the Attendants - Asuke Sadachika
*Vice leader - Shishido Tomotoki (宍戸知時)
*Funaki Yoriharu (舟木頼春)
*Kusunoki Masato
*Terada Hounen
*Kondou Munemitsu (近藤宗光)
*Asatani Yoshiaki (朝谷義秋)
*Asatani Masayoshi (朝谷正義)
*Sayou Tamenori (佐用為範)
*Satake Sadayoshi
*Oda Nobukazu
*Segami Yukitsuna (瀬上行綱)

Takaharu was by no means a passive participant in these affairs--under the influence of his Confucian tutors such as Yoshida Sadafusa (吉田定房), Takaharu sought power at court due to it offering him just as much power as the Houjou-dominated shogunate. In May 1305, the court promoted Takaharu to second rank prince and gave him the position of Minister of Internal Affairs (中務卿) [5]. This gave him direct access to both the sitting Emperor and his regent along with the retired Emperor. Most importantly, it including those who drafted documents in his name and permitted him to appoint the managers of a variety of national archives, including those related to tax collection and land grants both past and present--fortuitously, many of these documents were spirited out of the palace by Saionji Sanekane in 1301 for the purpose of blackmail. Combined with the power of the shogun as a mediator on the Houjou-dominated courts, this permitted Takaharu to weigh his influence in a variety of land cases.

Legally, the position of second-rank prince carried with it a grant of land and households, but like many aspects of Japan's imperial laws, it had declined with the decay of the court's temporal power in the late Heian era. But Takaharu vigorously asserted this privilege (unlike other princes) and gained for himself 450 households in Sagami Province as well as the land needed to support them. Takaharu ensured he received all taxes from this new manor and assigned his Attendants to land steward positions. The tribute burden was low compared to many manors, and corvee was only permitted in the direct presence of the prince-shogun--in return, Takaharu demanded all of the men train as ashigaru for four months of the year and serve the shogun as needed. By this means Takaharu gained a small, but loyal band of soldiers.

But bodyguard posts would not be enough to reward the rounin. In 1305, Takaharu and Saionji expanded the Six Guards (六衛府), Japan's imperial guard, to its early Heian era strength. Additionally, he fixed the fluctuating strength of the Right Gate Guard (右衛門府) and Left Gate Guard (左衛門府) to 400 men (plus officers) each. This created a force of about 2,400 guards, around double the size of what it had been for centuries. However, many guards were strictly ceremonial and their posts held by court nobles--Takaharu proposed forcing all court nobles who served as guards to undertake martial training, but appeals from the high nobles to Saionji Sanekane watered down Takaharu's proposal, retaining only some aspects of martial training such as mandatory training in archery and horseback riding, arts considered slightly less uncouth for the court nobles [6].

Yet guard posts could only be awarded to the most successful warriors. For everyone else, the Imperial Police Agency (検非違使, Kebiishichou) offered a place for warriors. This agency, the premier policing force in Japan in the Heian era, had greatly declined over the centuries and in practice had been restricted to Kyoto and under Shogunate supervision. Takaharu filled their ranks with lesser landless warriors, with even ashigaru occupying junior positions. This created a large police force capable of resolving disputes and enforcing court decrees, although the sheer size ensured it remained underfunded and still largely ineffective in many provinces. The post of Chief of the Imperial Police (検非違使別当) went to Horikawa Mototoshi (堀川基俊), great-uncle of deceased Emperor Go-Nijou.

To fund these programs, the court issued a tax on numerous goods, most notably sake. Additionally, the moneylenders of Kamakura--minus those associated with religious institutions--now came under the direct authority of the Emperor (and thus the court). Further, the court and shogunate combined to reorganise the dealers of commodities to the imperial court. All merchant guilds in Kamakura dealing in these goods ranging from charcoil to fish to rice to stone were required to affiliate with either a temple, the Shogunate, or the imperial court for the sake of taxation and tribute demands. The purpose of this was to keep those guilds from Kyoto powerful as well as gain new footholds in Kamakura yet also to increase revenue.

In June 1305, the court redefined the purview of the Capital Office to include the city in which the Emperor resides, as close to an official recognition of Kamakura as capital as one could get among the conservative aristocrats. This office went to the bureaucrat Tachibana no Tomonao (橘知尚), who proved an able administrator at enforcing the newly expanded powers of the court to collect income. Additionally, Tachibana's son Tomokuni (橘知国), an armed court noble who helped many escape Kyoto, served his father as a liaison with Shogun Takaharu, ensuring the Shogun himself was able to influence the affairs of Kamakura.

With the support of the court, Shogun Takaharu was thus a dagger pointed directly at the heart of the Houjou clan's power, yet the Houjou could do nothing due to the dangerous situation Japan found itself in. As evidenced by Nagasaki Enki's purge in late 1303, he could only destroy mid-ranking warrior families like the Shibukawa clan--anyone stronger suffered nothing worse than demotion or banishment. Therefore, Takaharu was given liberty to bend the strict limitations placed on his power. It was clear that he would be a most dangerous thing for the Houjou--a Shogun deeply interested in political affairs.

Even worse for the Houjou clan, Takaharu's father Go-Uda became Retired Sovereign in late 1304 as retired emperor Go-Fukakusa died. Although father and son disagreed on some issues, Go-Uda supported the expansion of imperial powers (particularly over religious affairs) which Takaharu deemed necessary and he was to be a useful ally to Takaharu at court. Go-Uda's influence weighed strong on the court, and even a minister as strong as Saionji Sanekane could not ignore his direct orders and rebukes.

The warriors of Western Japan were not limited to the court as their advocates, for they already had a powerful advocate within the Shogunate. The Nagai clan were hereditary bureaucrats of the Shogunate who relocated from Kyoto, and their head Nagai Sadashige (長井貞重) was military governor of Bingo and a key ally and general of Takeda Tokitsuna. He integrated himself prominently with the Saionji, effectively making him head of the Shogunate's efforts to relocate the court where he gained much power. Nagasaki Enki viewed him as a potential threat and blamed him for the defeat at Sunomata in October 1303, recalling him to Kamakura--in truth it was a means of separating Takeda Tokitsuna from a powerful ally.

With tensions rising between court and Shogunate, Takaharu used his access to old land records to weigh heavily on court cases involving land rights and rewards for the conflict. Among these was a case involving members of the Takeda clan, a clear message to them to aid the court in a dispute that seemed inevitable by the end of July 1303 as Kamakura heard the news of the peace treaty reached between Japan and the Mongols. The harsh terms and public display of artisans and entertainers being forced to leave the city into Mongol service enraged the citizens. Rumour spread that the Houjou clan agreed to the peace treaty to save themselves.

Whatever response Nagasaki Enki devised is unknown, for on August 1, 1305, Shogun Takaharu complained to the Imperial Court of the corruption of the "governor of Sagami Province" (the title held by all Houjou regents)--he received a favourable response from the Saionji in the form of an imperial decree signed by Regent Kujou that ordered Houjou Mototoki's arrest and dismissal. This marked the first imperial challenge to the Houjou since the Joukyuu War nearly 85 years prior, and as in those days, the Houjou clan as commanded by Nagasaki Enki mobilised a great force to stop it, beginning the Kan'an War, so named for the era name Kan'an (寛安) the court proclaimed immediately before its outbreak.

The Kan'an War began as simply an attempt at removing the Shogunate's most powerful minister and give Saionji a hand in reorganising the Houjou clan. The initial coup against Nagasaki involved Sasaki Sadamune, a young Imperial Police commander bitterly oppose to Nagasaki for his interference in his clan's affair, and a few dozen Imperial Police under his command attacking Nagasaki's manor. This Nagasaki anticipated and his clan's forces along with his chief ally in Kamakura Houjou Tomosada (北条朝貞) repelled the attack and killed dozens of Sasaki's men.

Nagasaki wasted no time in punishing the court and issued decrees to arrest or kill Saionji Sanekane and his son Kinhira alongside their conspirators. Imperial Regent Kujou was to abdicate and Shogun Takaharu was dethroned and replaced with Prince Morikuni (守邦親王), young son of former shogun Prince Hisaaki. To defend court and shogun, Takaharu mobilised a large force in the streets of Kamakura consisting primarily of citizens opposed to Nagasaki, the Imperial Police, some courtier bodyguards, clans loyal to him like the Nagai and the Iga and around 2,000 warrior monks of various temples. They numbered 15,000 men, far more than the 8,000 Houjou loyalists. The forces assembled on the sacred avanue of Wakamiya-Oji (若宮大路), normally off limits to all but the elite [7].

But problems began immediately as fires broke out in the city on orders of Houjou Tomosada, who defused the rioters by directing them toward the manors of his political opponents. Lines of communication became confused and the Houjou loyalists under Tomosada and Nagasaki Shigen struck hard in the streets, slaughtering Takaharu's warriors with impunity--this was unexpected, for it was believed the fight would be a quick skirmish at most due to the intimidating presence of so many armed citizens and warriors [8]. As the poorly armed and trained citizens broke ranks, confusion spread and the Imperial forces were driven back. Allies fought each other by accident in the chaos. The Imperial police leader Sasaki Sadamune charged into Houjou lines at the cost of his own life, permitting Takaharu to retreat with his army intact alongside many courtiers and palace records. Even so, 5,000 Imperial loyalists died in what is termed the Battle of Wakamiya-Oji, including Sasaki Sadamune who led a suicidal charge to atone for his prior failure.

uFrbbLo.png

The Houjou clan initially repelled the great internal challenge to their rule

Nagasaki was not content to stop here, for he ensured his allied courtier Oinomikado Nobutsugu (大炊御門信嗣), an elderly Saionji rival he named as Grand Chancellor, issued a decree naming the Shogun a rebel and ordering the destruction of his army. The still-sizable forces in Mino and Ise were to proceed east and crush the Shogun's rebels. However, many of Takaharu's attendants held command over soldiers there, and Sayou Tamenori had good relations with Takeda Tokitsuna. Additionally, Takaharu's orders arrived first thanks to the speedy ride of Asuke Sadachika's teenage son Shigenori (足助重範).

Takaharu pledged to expand the preogatives of the Toki clan and the Chuujou clan as military governors of border provinces as well as pardon Tajimi Kuninaga and his akutou. Thus Toki Yorisada declared his support for Shogun Takaharu, soon followed by Chuujou Kagenaga. Toki struck first by ordering his soldiers to assassinate his arch-rival Seki Moriyasu, a Houjou vassal he despised for stealing credit from his clan in slaying Mouri Tokichika at Aonogahara. His vassal Aeba Kuninobu (饗庭国信) and his men slew Seki at a banquet, enticed by the offer to redeem his half-brother Tajimi Kuninaga. This sudden decision provoked conservatives in the Saitou clan under Saitou Motonaga (斎藤基永) (cousin to Saitou Motoyuki, head of the clan) to revolt against the Toki in hopes of gaining Mino for themselves, but Motoyuki and his loyalists combined with a sudden attack by the Toki clan eliminated Motonaga and his rebels.

The commanders of this force, Houjou Munenaga and Takeda Tokitsuna, were both conservatives and detested the idea of rebelling against the Houjou. But faced with the defection of thousands of men and the threat of facing the Toki and Chuujou armies, they could do nothing at all. No doubt Takeda understood that the loss of support from Nagai would negatively impact his clan, as would losing the loyalty of the thousands of warriors who fought with him since 1297 and now dreamed of restoring what they lost to the Mongols.

Therefore both men joined the rebellion against Nagasaki Enki and marched to Kamakura, but a sizable number left them and instead joined Ashikaga Sadauji who took up the banner of defending the Houjou. Ashikaga believed the court infringed on the rights of vassals such as himself--it also seems to be the case that Ashikaga believed he might increase his power even further by defeating such a major rebellion. Further, the Houjou maintained the loyalty of the veteran fleets of Shikoku with the exception of the Kutsuna-suigun. These fleets transported Ashikaga's loyalists to Kamakura where they formed a force of 25,000, larger than Takeda's army. For this reason, Takeda did not march on Kamakura but instead kept his army in his clan's home province of Kai.

Elsewhere, Japan largely supported Nagasaki with the exception of a few Takeda clan scions and allies who feared reprisal. Of other prominent clans, only the Nitta clan revolted, likely as they feared their Ashikaga rivals would attack them anyway under cover of the war. Saionji's plan to use the Osaragi fell through as their Nagasaki recalled their clan head Munenobu and his nephew Sadanao from exile in the Izu Islands. He permitted Munenobu to become a monk under the name Junshou (順昭) and returned Sadanao to his father Muneyasu's side in the Iyo Tandai and shifted land to the Osaragi. Munenobu chose to treat the affair as an internal Houjou issue and came down firmly against Saionji's illegitimate interference in Shogunal affairs. Saionji's grand scheme fell apart due to the Osaragi clan's unwillingness to revolt. The other important Houjou vassal, Adachi Tokiaki in Dewa, refused the call to arms once he heard the Osaragi refused to revolt.

On Shikoku, Kawano Michitane (河野通種)took advantage of the chaos and murdered the Iyo Tandai Houjou Muneyasu out of a long-term dispute with his brother and the Iyo Tandai's corruption. Several prominent Kawano vassals sided with Michitane, and further, three more powerful local samurai--Kutsuna Hisashige (忽那久重), Ogasawara Nagakage (小笠原長景), and Kousokabe Akimichi (香宗我部朝通)--took up arms. It seems Kutsuna held a dislike of the Houjou (as well as an even greater dislike of Kawano clan head Michitada), Ogasawara wished to gain more power within his clan, and Kousokabe was close to the Takeda, but these three men were nowhere near powerful enough to make a difference, particularly due to Ashikaga forces on the island and the brilliant duo formed by Hosokawa Kimiyori and Ashikaga Sadauji.

This assassination proved a strategic mistake, for Muneyasu's heir Sadanao took power as Iyo Tandai and immediately announuced a decrease in tax burden, grants of lands from the Houjou's vast holdings to veterans of the battles against the Mongols, and pardons of all traitors beside Kawano and other conspirators. Along with those pirate captains feared the expansion of the Imperial Police, Shikoku became a base of Houjou loyalism. At the Battle of Hoshioka (星岡) in Iyo on September 27, the new Iyo Tandai Sadanao alongside the Ashikaga forces of Hosokawa Kimiyori destroyed Kawano's army as they attempted to march on Einousan. Kutsuna and Ogasawara fled, but Kousokabe Akimichi stayed in Tosa, resisting until the bitter end in Tosa before his final death. Most of the Kawano vassals either perished, fled with Kutsuna, or surrendered.

Actions such as the assassination of the Iyo Tandai, Takaharu's pardon of Tajimi, and the violence at which the war was prosecuted embittered the Houjou clan toward the rebels as a whole. The Houjou and their personal vassals used the war as an opportunity to seize lands and settle feuds, which in turn embittered the rebels toward the Houjou. Even if Saionji Sanekane insisted the goal was only to prosecute Nagasaki Enki, before long his army wished to go much further and destroy the power of the Houjou clan in its entirety.

In the north, Takeda's eldest son Nobumune allied with the Date clan, Yuuki clan (minus Munehiro, who was with Takeda Tokitsuna), and some Andou clan factions. He fell into Adachi Tokiaki's trap as Adachi posed as a friend but sealed the gates of Akita Castle before him and forced him into a series of unfavourable battles against the Houjou. The chinjufu-shogun Houjou Koresada chased his force across Dewa and Mutsu and forced them to flee far to the south. A small group of warriors under Nitta Tomouji sheltered him and led him to Kai Province to join his father.

As winter drew near, Nagasaki Enki decided to send his force to destroy Takeda and his army. Houjou Sadakuni served as nominal commander of this army, but actual leadership was held by Nagasaki's uncle Shigen and the chief Shogunal bureaucrat Nikaidou Sadafuji (二階堂貞藤). Nikaidou requested to lead the attack due to his hatred of Takeda for failing to protect Inabayama and getting his half-brother Tokifuji killed.

Takeda knew he needed a victory before the winter. He heard about the troop deployment from loyalists and sent a detatchment south to the rocky coast south of Mount Fuji to engage Nagasaki near Ishibashiyama, counting on the Heike Monogatari's popularity among the warrior class to cause his enemy to try and recreate that scenario. But unlike Minamoto no Yoritomo as Ishibashiyama, Takeda sent 3,000 men (the number of the victorious Taira army there) under Tsubarai Nobutsugu. With his main force he stormed onto the Sagami Plain ready to meet his enemy.

Nagasaki Shigen detatched 4,000 men under his kinsman Nagasaki Takayori (Enki's younger brother), Houjou Chikatoki (北条親時), and Houjou vassal Onozawa Sanetsuna to deal with Tsubarai's threat. Excitement was high as they believed they might claim lands from the rebels whilst recreating the deeds of the Heike Monogatari. Tsubarai sent 300 Takeda warriors under Henmi Nobutsune ahead of his force to Ishibashiyama itself. While Onozawa tried to wait until sunrise to attack, his subordinates tried directly recreating the battle by striking the night they arrived on November 28. Henmi's prepared warriors fought back and began a steady retreat to the outskirts of a village just south of there called Komekami (米神村). When they reached the village, Tsubarai's men emerged from the houses and ambushed Onozawa's men. Houjou perished, Onozawa was wounded, and over 1,000 Houjou men died with 1,000 more defecting.

The victory at Komekani rallied many to Shogun Takaharu's banners and struck a great blow to the Houjou, but they still retained much power. In particular, they still controlled most of the Kanto and north of Japan, and their army opposing Takeda Tokitsuna was commanded by Ashikaga Sadauji, among the most talented and vigorous generals of the Shogunate. Tsubarai's army could not aid Takeda now, for Takeda needed to attack at once lest the coming winter disrupt his supply lines before he might march on Kamakura.

---
Author's notes

This is a very old chapter I wrote many months ago and have rewritten several times to best fit the story as it evolved. It was also divided in two, since it flows better that way. This is part one of the Kan'an War, the civil war immediately following the Banpou Invasion where a long-brewing internal struggle can finally be resolved. Don't worry, we'll also see the aftermath in both the Kingdom of Japan and Yuan in the chapters to come.

Next chapter will obviously be part two of the Kan'an War, and then after I may either do an entry on the Kingdom of Japan or the Yuan, depending on what fits best.

[1] - Paraphrase of an OTL imperial order issued by Emperor Go-Daigo against Houjou Takatoki, found translated in Kenmu - Go Daigo's Revolution by Andrew Goble.
[2] - Both the Oinomikado and the Saionji were supporters of the Jimyou-in line, but Saionji Sanekane considerably less so given his willingness to engage with Daikaku-ji supporters for the sake of his personal power
[3] - The Asuke clan were warrior nobles but held deep links with the court.
[4] - The medieval Japanese village was a very insular place where peasants zealously protected what little status and possessions they had, and in many cases their headmen would expel outsiders and those peasants who sheltered them. A wanderer who was accepted could expect to be at the very bottom.
[5] - Often called by the more literal translation Ministry of the Center, but there was also a higher-ranking office called the Minister of the Center (内大臣) so I will disambiguate between the two like this.
[6] - The Left (左兵衛府) and Right Soldier Guard (右兵衛府), Left (左衛門府) and Right Gate Guard (右衛門府), and Left (左近衛府) and Right Inner Palace Guard (右近衛府), conventionally called the Six Guards, were the palace guard of pre-Meiji era Japan, but for much of the 10th-15th centuries the highest ranks were occupied by the children of high-ranking court nobles as sinecures while lower ranks (especially in the Gate Guard) were often given to successful warriors as honorary posts permitting them the honour of calling themselves palace guardsmen
[7] - Wakamiya-Oji was and is a major throughfare in Kamakura, but during the era of the Kamakura Shogunate it was also a sacred road used primarily for ceremonies and also with the practical purpose of serving as a line of defense, for the Shogunate's elites lived east of the road.
[8] - Essentially, Takaharu and Saionji view this force as one for violent protest and intimidation, which was fairly common in Japan. Some so-called samurai battles and the bulk of the Onin War were little more than armed protestors skirmishing with armed defenders of a home or farm with the fight ending after a few blows (or when the attacker set fire to a building). But there were true battles which were far, far bloodier.

Last edited:
Seems that even with the bad situation of the still hostile Kingdom of Japan, intrigues still poison the Shogunate and it's court, they're very lucky neither the Mongols or Japanese are interested in war at the moment.

The court intrigues continue, and the Shogunate decides to settle them in the only way they know how, by killing. Their only consolation is that the Mongols' hands are tied too.

Regardless of who comes out on top, it is over for Houjou domination. Hoping to see Takeda clan rise to prominence as a balanced power as they see Houjou neither as friends nor foe.

Regardless of who comes out on top, it is over for Houjou domination. Hoping to see Takeda clan rise to prominence as a balanced power as they see Houjou neither as friends nor foe.
The Takeda shogunate will topple the Houjou fools and drown the Mongol yokels in the sea.

Takaharu sounds like a really interesting figure, damn shame he and Takeda Tokitsuna are aligned with slippery scheming courtiers like Saionji Sanekane...

Seems that even with the bad situation of the still hostile Kingdom of Japan, intrigues still poison the Shogunate and it's court, they're very lucky neither the Mongols or Japanese are interested in war at the moment.
The court intrigues continue, and the Shogunate decides to settle them in the only way they know how, by killing. Their only consolation is that the Mongols' hands are tied too.
Oh yes, it's quite bad indeed. One can argue that Yuan Empress Bulugan saved the Shogunate when she ordered the troops home.
This has shades of a CK2 war to revoke a territory.
It's more like to stop from getting a territory revoked. Or the council thing, but I was sadly too busy with my life to play much of the CK2 stuff when they introduced a bunch of council mechanics. As a side note, late Kamakura era (1274-1333) would make for an interesting mod.
Indeed, but, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of opportunity raids in the Kamakura-KoJ. borderlands...
As they say in China (apparently a saying that emerged in this era of all times), 天高皇帝遠. "Heaven is high and the emperor is far." Both parties consider it illegal, but akutou activities like that aren't easily policed and the border is full of hiding places.
The Houjou had a good run, but yes, they're incredibly damaged even in their heartland from this rebellion.
The Takeda shogunate will topple the Houjou fools and drown the Mongol yokels in the sea.
Some among the Takeda clan certainly hope for that, but others contest the idea a Takeda Shogunate is even necessary.
Takaharu sounds like a really interesting figure, damn shame he and Takeda Tokitsuna are aligned with slippery scheming courtiers like Saionji Sanekane...
Takaharu was indeed a very interesting figure OTL, which is why I'm trying to explore how he'd do as shogun in a troubled time like this instead of like OTL where he became Emperor Go-Daigo and embarked on a highly interesting career in court politics that culminated in the Kenmu Restoration. He's so intriguing that even if he's born after the POD (late 1280s), I decided to keep him as OTL so his birth year is basically a cutoff date in terms of how I approach people born after the POD.

As for Saionji, he's basically financing the Shogunate himself at this point, and in any age or place, one always has to work with the people holding the purse strings.

Chapter 33 - Immolation
-XXXIII-
"Immolation"

Mimase Pass, Sagami Province, December 10, 1305​

Houjou Munenaga sat conflicted as he listened once more to the words of his second son Iesada, the flickering flames lighting his face. Every night, Iesada held these discussions with him as he pointed out the danger approaching the Houjou clan and how he was the only one who could stop it.

"Father, I don't have much more time to ask you. The battle will surely be tomorrow," Iesada said, his voice changing to the desperate. "The course of not just our family, but our nation depends on your choice!"

"I am aware, Iesada. You have told me many, many times before," Munenaga said with a sigh. "But Nagasaki Enki has nothing to offer me, nor does he have anything to offer you or your brothers. It is improper for me to betray the man who trusted me so much he married your sister."

"The Tiger of Aki is a wise man, our greatest general. As I told you before, Nagasaki Enki promises Lord Takeda a good fate. He and his son will commit an honorable suicide, having been coerced into rebellion by the machinations of Lord Toki and Lord Chuujou."

"Listen to yourself, Iesada, wishing such pain on your brother-in-law and nephew," Munenaga muttered. Even so, it seemed like a fine offer. Nagasaki Enki is a persuasive man. He rewards loyalty, and he gave Iesada a fine offer indeed.

"I wish none at all. Perhaps even Nobumune might understand what he has done and Lord Nagasaki might commute his sentence," Iesada argued. "We do not know what will happen in regards to that, but we do know what will happen if we defeat the loyalists of the Houjou tomorrow. Our nation will plunge into an era of unrestrained anarchy! The warrior class shall become nothing but dogs of the court, living off their scraps as justice itself crumbles."

Munenaga nodded, understanding the risk of what might occur if the court regained authority. Although they might be a just arbiter of disputes, without the Houjou clan guiding them they would fall into decadence and appoint their own cronies to lead armies and thus lead the nation to ruin.

"Even among the warriors, let us consider that if Lord Takeda seizes power, nothing shall stop Lord Ashikaga, Lord Toki, Lord Sasaki, Lord Chiba, or any other powerful lord from trying the same. Houjou Masako knew well when she ensured her brothers took charge of Minamoto no Yoritomo's heirs, for they might lack Yoritomo's wisdom and favour their own. If any among the Minamoto might seize the Shogunate or even usurps our own position, he cannot be a neutral arbiter and he and certainly his heirs may fall into corruption." [1]

Munenaga sighed, knowing his son was correct.

"Over half of our nation, including the capital, is occupied by rebels sponsored by the invader. If we do not show a unified front, how can we ever hope to restore our country?" Iesada noted. "Nagasaki Enki is not forever, and Lord Sadanori is growing up fast."

Munenaga nodded, recalling just a few months ago before the war started when Sadanori had his coming of age ceremony at barely 7 years of age. We who oppose Nagasaki place all our trust in that boy, but what if he is merely another Sadatoki?

"There will time to deal with Nagasaki Enki in the future," Iesada said, "But for now, let us punish these rebels and restore order to we might regain our strength and punish the real rebels and those invaders from the continent. Beside, he promised you all those offices. The Nagoe will be elevated as never before, a wish denied to your own father and grandfather! You will be elevated to the Rokuhara Tandai, and no doubt from there you will become a cosigner and maybe even the regent before you cede the power to Lord Sadanori. My older brother, dear Harutoki, will be hailed as the finest warrior-poet and gain your offices, and even my younger brother, dear Sadamune who has inherited your skill in battle, will be recognised for his talents. Please do not sacrifice the future so readily, father! Our entire clan will wither and die if Takeda wins tomorrow, for in the eyes of these simple warriors Nagasaki Enki's misdeeds and our clan are one and the same!"

Iesada bowed before him as Munenaga took a deep breath. Offices I don't care about--Takeda Tokitsuna will reward me with all that and more, for I am among the few Houjou who oppose Enki. But my actions are illegitimate--had I beheaded that Aeba Kuninobu as I desired, would Lord Takeda really have joined Toki's rebellion? In the worst case scenario, we may have died together striking a great blow against those rebel forces and my sons may have united alongside Takeda's son and brothers and punished Toki and Chuujou.

"Please leave, Iesada. Ensure Nagasaki knows that I will consider your words strongly," Munenaga said. Iesada's face lit up.

"Yes, father! I pray your wisdom guides you toward the correct decision!"

With that, Iesada left the tent, a cold breeze filling it as he stepped into the night.

"More than anything else, I hate how right you are, Iesada," Munenaga said, speaking to himself. "You may not be as cultured as your older brother or strong as your younger brother, but you have both in equal parts. That is what made you such a talent on the battlefield of blood and the battlefield of poetry."

In his eye, Munenaga saw the future. Takeda Tokitsuna would surely reward him, perhaps even make him a cosigner as a peace offering to the Houjou. But both he and Tokitsuna were old men now. Would his grandson Nobumune act the same way? And what about his great-grandsons? What about other members of the Takeda clan? There was far too much animosity against the Houjou, and he had heard warriors fantasizing amongst themselves of getting pieces of Houjou clan land. In the end, a Takeda victory will bring about our downfall. Be it six years or sixty, there will come a time my descendants and his will clash, and we will be sorely outnumbered. Those descended from the generals of Minamoto no Yoritomo were all crushed by my clan, and then it will be my clan's turn to suffer for those actions.

Even so, Munenaga could not rise to go tell Iesada he committed to the plan. It felt completely wrong to betray a man who had been his benefactor for so many years. He was nothing but a lesser man from a disdained branch of the Houjou, but thanks to that energetic man who married his daughter so many years ago, he was now considered one of the finest generals in Japan. Thanks to Takeda Tokitsuna, he outlasted three fierce invasions from the invader and had the privilege of reporting his victories to both court and Shogun countless times. And there was no telling if Nagasaki Enki would keep his bargain. If even a Houjou branch like the Osaragi might be punished, certainly the Nagoe might. Perhaps they'd even suffer the annihilation Enki granted the Igu and Sasuke Houjou.

A fork in the road appeared in his mind eye, but Munenaga refused to go forward. The more he pondered the problem, the more he thought of no way out. In the end, he realised every single option led to him becoming forever known as the man who destroyed the Houjou clan. How can I bring such utter shame on my forefathers that I would be the one to destroy our clan? I would be damned to hell for a nigh-eternity for such a crime against them.

But Munenaga knew one option might not lead to his eternal shame--his own death. With a heavy heart, he thought of the words to a poem and committed it to ink.

Beneath autumn leaves
Two stags walked two paths
How could I chase one
When both are so majestic?
So I did nothing and watched.

As he finished, he drew his sword and plunged it into his belly, collapsing immediately on the poem he wrote. The pain was immense, but it was sufficient punishment for failing to make a choice, and far less than the pain he would endure in hell for insulting his forefathers by contributing to the destruction of the Houjou clan. Forgive me, Lord Takeda, but in this battle I can do no more for you. If your cause is truly just, then you shall win regardless of my presence. Farewell.

---
Mimase Pass, Sagami Province, December 11, 1305​

Takeda Tokitsuna could hardly believe the news he heard. Houjou Munenaga, dead? How could that man die so easily, let alone outside of battle? When he heard it was suicide and read that death poem, he feared the worst.

"Someone cornered him," Tokitsuna said to Komai Nobumura. "Houjou Munenaga would never do such a thing without some external force prompting him. Arrest his sons and grandsons at once."

"Yes, my lord." Komai relayed the order as Tokitsuna considered what to do. It had to be one of them. Nagasaki Enki must have used one of them to pressure Munenaga into rebellion. Munenaga was never supportative of this expedition, and knew well that anti-Houjou sentiments are growing everywhere, but in the end he was too loyal to me. Tokitsuna held back tears, thinking of how long he knew Munenaga and just how much he owed to him. May his loyalty be remembered forever.

After some time, some of Komai's warriors dragged several men and boys before him. Some wore their armour, but others simple robes for sleeping in. All of them seemed confused of the matter, all beside one of them and three older boys around him who struggled so much the warriors had to tie them with ropes.

"Do you know why I have brought all of you here," Tokitsuna asked as they knelt before him--all but that one man and his three boys.

"No! You are unjustly detaining men of the Houjou clan!" the annoyed Houjou man replied. "I, Houjou Iesada, son of Houjou Munenaga, will not stand for this!"

"Y-Your father has perished out of loyalty to his forefathers and the Shogunate," Tokitsuna replied, hating every moment of saying those words. "I wish to know why it was so sudden."

The Houjou men seemed suddenly confused, glancing at each other and muttering amongst themselves. Even Iesada and his sons were surprised. One of them he knew very well, the fierce warrior Sadamune, stepped forth as tears streamed down his face.

"Iesada, why? How could you do that! You did not really do that, did you? Tell me you didn't!" Tokitsuna sighed, but was glad he did not need to investigate the matter further, especially when already Nawa and his scouts were out their clashing with enemy scouts as both forces sought out the correct time and route to attack.

"I encouraged father to properly honour his forefathers," Iesada said. "That is all. My dear father, so soon departed, was a great man and knew well he must do so. He must have taken his own life when he feared he could not."

"Liar!" Sadamune said, walking over to his brother and grasping him by the throat. Just as soon as he did, Iesada's sons shoved him off and drew their swords. Sadamune picked himself off the ground and drew his own sword, brandishing it menacingly at them.

"I know what you did! You met with that bastard Enki when you retrieved Harutoki from Kamakura! He told you lies and whispered poison into your ear, and thanks to that poison, Munenaga is dead! How can you explain yourself!"

A sudden anger grasped Tokitsuna as his fear came to life. So that is why Iesada and his brothers joined my camp instead of remaining with the Shogun. How despicable!

"Simple. Lord Sadamune, please understand!" his brother said, motioning his sons to sheathe their swords. "And you as well, Lord Takeda, my dear brother-in-law. Please know that we are committing a horribly illegitimate act that shall bring ruin on all Japan! We have joined hands with rebel warlords and corrupt court ministers to overturn an order that brought peace to all Japan. If we follow through our plot, then there will be nothing but more disorder and chaos until the invader makes his final move and destroys--!"

"Enough!" Tokitsuna shouted, furious at the treachery before him. "No matter your intentions, you betrayed your father to a man just as corrupt as the Saionji. You preach about destruction and illegitimacy, but I need only ask one thing to prove you a hypocrite--just what was the deal Nagasaki Enki promised you?"

Iesada hesitated for a moment, taking a deep breath.

"That you, Lord Takeda, would be treated as an honourable man coerced into a horrible crime by overeager relatives and the wicked Lord Toki and Lord Chuujou. You and Nobumune will be granted permission to commit suicide and you shall be treated with all the dignity a fallen hero of our nation deserves."

"Then will you not do the same? Will you follow your father's honourable example?" Tokitsuna demanded.

Iesada seemed taken aback.

"N-Not at the moment, Lord Takeda," he said.

"Then you are a hypocrite, as Nagasaki Enki is. Were Nagasaki Enki an upright man, then he would ensure my name is spoken alongside Shouni Kagesuke for the crime of rebelling against the lawful order of the Shogun and Emperor. There is no place for such hypocrisy in our nation, therefore I grant you and your sons the privilege of redeeming your honour and apologising to Munenaga in the afterlife."

"W-wait just a minute, Lord Takeda, please--"

Tokitsuna drew his own blade.

"I will avenge Munenaga myself if you do not take my offer. He will be most disappointed to see how you spat on both his honour and mine."

Iesada and his face grew pale, and his youngest son, perhaps only 12 years old, clutched his father tight. He is old enough to carry a sword to battle and take lives, so he is old enough to know the consequences of supporting his father's actions.

"Father, I am sorry!" his eldest son said, plunging his blade into his stomach. He turned to Takeda with tears in his eyes as the blood poured forth. "F-forgive me..." Tokitsuna nodded as the youth collapsed to the ground, promptly followed by his younger brother. With some hesitation, even his youngest sliced his stomach and fell on his sword, leaving only their father, who looked in horror at the bodies of his sons. He fell on his knees in sorrow and drew his own sword, but before following his sons into death, Iesada stared at Takeda Tokitsuna with humbled eyes.

"W-will you at least spare my youngest sons? They are as innocent in this as these boys you forced into death!"

"They will be judged by their own actions when they become men," Tokitsuna replied.

"Th-thank you...so there is a chance the Houjou may survive..." Iesada said with relief appearing on his face. He looked once more at his dead children and wept. "How filial you are to follow your father even into his own foolishness!" With those last words, Iesada stabbed himself and fell on top of his son's bodies. Tokitsuna shook his head. None of this needed to happen. Damn you, Nagasaki Enki! Surely you will burn in the lowest hell alongside your ancestor Kiyomori.

The warriors around seemed shocked at the scene, and unsettling murmurs rose. The Houjou men all cried, every one of them, as Tokitsuna pondered the challenge before them. To think we have to fight a battle after this tragedy. Unbelievable!

Houjou Sadamune stepped forth and knelt on his face before Tokitsuna, tears on his face from the death of his elder brother and nephews.

"Lord Takeda, please grant me the honour of cleansing the stain of dishonour my elder brother and my father! Please let me lead my warriors in battle!"

Tokitsuna looked at Komai, who simply shook his head. This too could be part of Nagasaki Enki's trap. Houjou Munenaga was to command the center of our forces today, and no doubt Nagasaki was counting on his defection in the midst of battle so our lines would collapse at once. An idea arose in his head to turn the enemy's plan against him.

"Very well. I will grant you 100 horsemen. You shall lead them, and your kinsmen and vassals shall be among them, but sixty of them shall be brave warriors of my choosing. You will charge into the enemy center, trying to convince him you have carried out the mission."

"I shall do so!" Sadamune said with pride. "From this day forth, myself and my brothers are no longer men of the Houjou, but we are Nagoe men! Long live the Emperor! Long live Shogun Takaharu!"

"Komai, ensure the Houjou vassals are kept separate from our forces. In our battle plan, use them as a vanguard. Our archers and spearmen shall be behind them to ensure they move forward and fight the enemy before them."

"Yes, Lord Takeda." Komai relayed the order as Takeda sighed once more at the blood spilled before him.

"If the enemy hasn't attacked yet, prepare for battle in one hour or so. I will be meditating until then." With that, Tokitsuna departed the terrible seen, murmuring a mantra under his breath. Oh, how troublesome this matter has become!

---
Mimase Pass, Sagami Province, December 11, 1305​

Ashikaga Sadauji fired an arrow straight through the face of an enemy soldier who charged at his horse, casting it aside as he rapidly slashed at another man. His horse reared back, but Sadauji maintained perfect control as he rode a tight circle, hacking at a few enemies before turning tail. His warriors surrounded him, themselves being cut down by the advancing army.

"There's no need to stay here any longer!" Sadauji yelled, raising a bloodstained sword. "The battle was lost the moment those Nagoe Houjou refused to act as Nagasaki believed they would! Defend our retreat!" He recalled from earlier the dramatic charge into their camp of perhaps a hundred light cavalry men. That idiot Nagasaki Shigen refused to let his men attack them, and sure enough they penetrated so deeply that they not only killed hundreds but some of them lived to tell the tale. If Shigen listened to me, this battle would be won.

The Ashikaga men along with some Shikoku warriors like those Kawano clan soldiers followed his orders, forming tight ranks. The enemy charge had become too bloodthirsty, and the Ashikaga warriors were starting to repel them as a new line became formed. They absorbed fleeing survivors from the Houjou, Nagasaki, and others, among them Onozawa Sanetsuna who was covered in blood and seemed to have a broken arm. He is a good commander and a wonderfully loyal vassal for the Houjou, suffering those wounds for them in not even two weeks. If they do not reward him, I will.

"Lord Onozawa, where is Shigen!" Sadauji yelled over the commotion as one of his warriors handed him a new bow that he used to effortlessly strike down an enemy soldier.

"Dead, Lord Ashikaga," Onozawa muttered. He coughed up a bit of blood, wincing in pain. "I tried protecting him, but he refused and took responsibility for the defeat himself. He apologises for not listening to your advice." Sadauji sighed.

"Then I will pray for his soul," he replied. "Now I do not want to pray for your soul too. Find a safe place among the wounded, or help me round up our men to retreat."

"Y-yes, Lord Ashikaga." Onozawa ran off, and to Sadauji's surprised kept fighting even in his condition. Sadauji himself rode over to Hosokawa Kimiyori, whose men were laying beneath some brush in ambush for any incoming soldiers.

"Wonderful preparation, Lord Hosokawa," Sadauji said. "But be sure you retreat as well. The battle is lost, but the war is not yet over."

"Certainly, Lord Ashikaga," Hosokawa replied. "He will be forced to either dismiss most of his army or live off the land as he lays siege to Kamakura, attracting the ire of the peasants while living in meager conditions. Perhaps the gods will smite his force with disease as they try and besiege Kamakura. That is the time we will gain our victory."

Ashikaga smiled, for Hosokawa knew the exact strategy he had in mind.

"Indeed. Let us not die for Nagasaki Enki and his band of fools, but let us prove that the Ashikaga are as much a pillar of the Shogunate as the Houjou."

Hosokawa smirked.

"Did not such lines incite Shigen's fury this morning?"

"That they did. But he understands the truth that the Shogunate right now cannot survive without us." Ashikaga rode off, firing an arrow at a soldier in his path. To his disappointment, the enemy commander beneath a banner with the four diamonds of the Takeda advanced cautiously and ordered his archers to shoot into the brush, uncovering Hosokawa's ambush. Ashikaga shot an arrow at the young commander and struck him in the shoulder from a great distance. Tch, just a little higher and it would have pierced his throat. Be it archery or politics, one must always aim for the top. Nagasaki Enki understand this, and I pray that ensures he and the Houjou grant me a reward suitable for the Shogunate's top man.

---
Inamuragasaki, Kamakura, Sagami Province, January 15, 1306​

Nitta Tomouji's feet sank into the cold wet sand as he rode his horse along the beach of Shichirigahama at the head of his cavalrymen. He averted his head from the nearby execution grounds, no doubt recently used with all the upheavel and tyranny in the city, instead turning his head toward the great round cliff blocking their way. That cliff, the cape of Inamuragasaki, loomed ominously before them, barely illuminated for the sun that would soon rise. On the other side lay the target, Kamakura itself, the city they needed to seize.

"Of course the path's blocked," a warrior riding beside him, Asatani Yoshiaki, noted, his speech still much too casual even after spending nearly a year at the Shogun's side. "What a waste of time!"

"This cape is as imposing as they say," his chief vassal Odachi Muneuji noted. "And with the sea currents, we would need pray Lord Nojima come to his senses and instructs an entire army with his skill."

"No, there must be a way around this, I am certain!" Tomouji said, shaking his head. He grabbed his sword and rode forward, with Odachi and Asatani alongside him.

"Were there a way around, surely someone would have discovered it by now, be it Minamoto no Yoritomo, any of the Houjou lords, a wise monk, someone." Odachi pointed out. "It would be just as fortified as the Gokuraku entrance the enemy repelled us from yesterday."

At the base of the cliff, he noticed the water level unusually low. He climbed off his horse and stuck his leg in the chilly water, noticing it came past his knee. Were it not for the constant waves, an army might readily wade past here.

"Careful not to catch a cold, Lord Nitta!" Asatani teased.

Tomouji pondered the problem. How is the tide today? Shichirigahama is at low tide, but how much lower will the tide go? The tides are controlled by the gods, so I have but one option.

Tomouji drew his sword, a fine tachi with its hilt inlaid with gold. His clan owned this sword for generations, ever since the era of his grandfather Masauji. He remembered well its story, but knew it had to be cast away for this purpose. He took off his helmet and knelt on the wet sand at the base of the cliff, laying his sword in the water as an offering.

"Are you trying to gamble with Ryuujin?" Odachi Muneuji laughed. "You can't even beat Asatani and his brother, how do you expect to beat the gods?"

"Ryuujin will take pity on him, just as we always would," Asatani pointed out.

"Quiet!" Tomouji rebuked.

"Oh great sea, the exalted goddess of the beginning of our nation Amaterasu, concealed herself within Vairocana Buddha's infinite light and manifested herself as Ryuujin, ruler of these vast seas. I pray nothing more than to serve her descendant, Prince Takaharu, as he seeks to subjugate the rebels plaguing this nation and defiling Ise where she is enshrined. I shall grab my axes and strike down the enemy's warriors to aid this nation and restore peace and prosperity to its people. Oh Ryuujin, divine protector of the seas, observe my loyalty, insufficient as it may be, and move away these waters and open the path for our army!" [2]

Nothing happened for some time, but Tomouji did not raise from his prostration. His eyes remained closed and his heart remained deeply in meditative prayer. Beside a sigh from Asatani, the others remained silent as he knew his army was assembling around him.

"Praise Ryuujin, for the sea is retreating!" Odachi shouted, breaking the silence. Tomouji looked up, and sure enough the water near the cape sank lower and lower as the minutes passed. It's a miracle! Even after so many disasters, the gods favour us!

"The gods defend our nation!" Tomouji shouted! "Ryuujin has opened the path for our army! Let us march through and fulfill our mission by advancing forward and destroying all those who aid the rebel forces in the name of Shogun and Emperor!"

He climbed back onto his horse and rode on wet sand around the base of the cliff. There he saw the buildings of Kamakura--now was the time to seize the city!

---
Toushou-ji, Kamakura, Sagami Province, January 17, 1306​

The flames gathered around Houjou Tokinao as he could not clear his sorrow from his mind. In my life, I have known nothing but defeat. I pray that changes in my next life. It felt surreal to him, that after over fifty years his own death drew near. A blank paper sat in front of him with ink beside him, awaiting his death poem. He clutched his sword in his scarred hand, still nervous about his impending death--and furious it came in such circumstances.

What a sorrowful death it was! It was not as he imagined, where a beautiful concubine might be at his side as he said his final words. Tokinao did not even know where she was now and could only pray she and his young son Shiro escaped Kamakura. Instead the air was filled with weeping and mourning, punctured by the occasional awful scream from the suicide of a woman or child somewhere in the temple. The temple's head priest Nanzan Shiun recited a mantra along with the other monks of the temple, among them some of Tokinao's grandsons. The awful smell of smoke permeated the air, fires having started somewhere in the temple. Somehow Tokinao knew it wasn't the enemy who started them. How ironic that the heirs of Taira no Kiyomori died by water, but his distant kinsmen, those heirs of Houjou Tokimasa, shall die by fire.

"For I now I bid farewell to all of you," Nanzan Shiun said over the chanting. "May your souls ascend to the highest heavens, for I alone will remain on earth so all will remember your sacrifice so you shall receive countless myriads of prayers." Tokinao sighed that even the head priest they recently appointed left them, but then assumed someone asked him to do so. As a monk, he alone might survive the rampaging hordes outside the temple.

Were it not for the terrible situation, Tokinao wished to scream at him "please save Shoumyou-ji, and please save my father's library!" But now was not the time to worry about those trifling things, saddening as it was. Do these violent warriors care for culture, or are they no better than the invader? Will the knowledge, culture, and wisdom of our nation be lost from these brutes on one side and the invader on the other? He recalled the joy his elder brother Akitoki had when he presented him books he rescued from Hakata and Dazaifu before the invaders destroyed them, such joy that Akitoki excused even the death of his younger brother Sanemasa, a man who surely would have been the titan of his time had he lived [3].

Tokinao glanced at his sword again, the trusty blade that served him all these years he inherited from a kinsman who also bore the name Tokinao. He repaired it again and again, and taken countless heads of the invader and those traitors who allied with them. Yet reliable as it was, it never brought him victory. He recalled his first battle nearly thirty years ago as he helped that eminent man Tokimune destroy his rebellious half-brother and his allies, but his brother Akitoki called him a fool for joining in Tokimune's attempt to seize power--perhaps Akitoki was right, for if Tokimune had not gained so much power, his successors could not have misused it on so many, including Akitoki himself. He recalled standing beside Sanemasa, defending Dazaifu against the endless horde of invaders. My life should have ended there, but Sanemasa demanded I keep fighting and return to Kamakura so we might all hear his fate.

More memories came as pungent smoke filled the room and choked him. He remembered that bastard Sadatoki gloating to him at a drunken party about having ordered his brother's murder, practically begging him to take action so Sadatoki's bodyguards might behead them. He remembered all the defeats in the Shou'ou Invasion, and the Banpou Invasion where he fought so many times alongside his nephew Sadaaki. It was shameful that Sadaaki did his best to defend the nation and was mistreated for burning the land, and it was even more sorrowful to remember the sorrow expressions on Sadaaki's face--truly he was a man best fitted to sit in the library and learn culture, not burn down his own nation to stop the greatest threat in history. Was it any surprise all those defeats led him to this final moment, when the Houjou clan itself faced its final defeat against their once loyal retainers?

Tokinao coughed from the thick smoke and knew the time was now. With a deep breath and thoughts of the Buddha in his mind, he plunged his sword into his gut, the blood gushing forth and entering the inkwell. With quick strokes, he scrawled out his death poem in his dying breaths with his own blood.

I sowed many seeds
And wondered why I reaped dust
Only in twilight
Do I understand its meaning
For now I am those ashes

Placing it under a floorboard, he coughed harder as flames licked at his robe, and fell asleep, his body unable to bear any more suffering in this life.

---
Kuzuu, Shimoutsuke Province, October 24, 1306​

His warriors illuminated by torchlights, Shiba Muneuji recalled the words of Ashikaga Sadauji--betrayal is loyalty. He had never heard such a convoluted scheme before, and for that reason it was simply better not to think about, hence the absolute brutes of warriors and ashigaru peasant-soldiers he brought with him. That I have to betray my lord and everyone I've fought alongside for twenty years is simply mad. Yet I must do so, for Ashikaga Sadauji's final victory will be grand indeed.

He walked into the headquarters Houjou Koresada set up in the humble house of a village headman, his men quickly subduing the door guards who noticed the armed men. There sat the elite of the Houjou clan--the chinjufu-shogun Houjou Koresada, a pudgy teenage boy he assumed was his majordomo Nagasaki Takasuke, the sturdy samurai Kudou Sadasuke, and a few others among the remaining Houjou clan. Kudou noticed them immediately and drew his blade, followed by Houjou and Nagasaki. Muneuji looked around twice, noticing to his annoyance Adachi Tokiaki was nowhere to be seen, but assumed he was somewhere else in the village.

"Don't even bother, Houjou, it's over," Muneuji said with confidence. He grabbed a torch and brandished it at the men in front of him. "The question is whether you prefer to fight, or experience the same death as the rest of your kin."

"Shiba, you bastard," Kudou growled. "How the hell do you think you'll benefit from this? Takeda Tokitsuna is overturning everything, and his men will never let anyone associated with Ashikaga Sadauji survive!"

"I no longer need Sadauji," Muneuji said, disappointed he couldn't gloat the actual truth that Sadauji's scheme ensnared the Houjou. "But the Takeda need me. A great war in the north is very bad when they are trying to prepare to restore the rest of our country, and the easiest way to end this war is to present your heads before the Shogun and his regent."

"Stop," Houjou demanded. "What is it that you want? Even if you view meaningless and doomed our campaign in Mutsu, we can reward you with all the land you need in Shikoku. You are sorely mistaken if you expect the headship of the Ashikaga and all Sadauji's lands in Japan."

Even if though Muneuji knew he would be disappointed by Takeda's reward, he continued playing along. He gestured to his lieutenant, Uesugi Norifusa, to prepare to make a move at Kudou Sadasuke, clearly his most dangerous foe.

"That's too bad. We'll just have to see how he reacts to the sight of his enemy's head in a box. Don't worry, I'll treat it nicely."

At that codeword, Uesugi Norifusa lept forward into the room and hacked at Kudou, but Kudou blocked it. Muneuji dove to the ground and hacked at the heels of a Houjou man who tried attacking Uesugi's back as his three crossbowmen fired their darts into the room. He pushed a fallen enemy off him and crushed his throat as he stood back to back with Uesugi, dueling Nagasaki Takasuke. The youth's style was slow, inaccurate, and sloppy--it was fortunate that now he would never hold a high position of leadership like his father [4].

"Your father was too busy oppressing us warriors to raise you well, I see!" Muneuji sneered, effortlessly blocking his blows.

"Raised better than you, traitor!" Nagasaki replied. So effortless was the fight that Muneuji noticed Houjou Koresada escaping through a hidden door with the help of two younger vassals. He kicked Nagasaki to the ground and smashed his wrist to knock his sword away and rushed toward the escaping warriors, but Kudou Sadasuke blocked his path. In the corner of his eye, Uesugi Norifusa was picking himself off the ground with a bloody face.

"It is shameful we had to do this, Shiba!" Kudou growled, taking a defensive stance as his masters escaped. "You bring nothing but shame on yourself and your clan!"

"Hmph, you really are the finest warrior the Houjou clan has," Muneuji said, glaring at Kudou. The Houjou would never have survived so long without vassals like this. He stepped forward and struck at Kudou with his blade, but the man parried it effortlessly. Muneuji tried again at what seemed like an opening, but Kudou likewise stopped the blade and took a deep slice at Muneuji's legs, cutting the fabric of his robe. Tch, not a single opening! Even when his three crossbowmen fired in unison at him, Kudou seemed to know ahead of time and dove to the ground while still blocking Muneuji's swing.

But as Muneuji prepared to strike him as Kudou lay on the floor vulnerable, he suddenly noticed a shadow behind him and elbowed Nagasaki Takasuke to the floor. But this gave Kudou valuable time to step to his feet and set aflame the walls of the room with a lantern on the wall.

"You'll see soon the foolish mistake you've made!" he shouted, racing after his master. Damn that Kudou! Were it not for him, we would have done well.

"Let's get the hell out of here!" Muneuji shouted, his lieutenant Uesugi kicking a knife from Nagasaki's hand to stop his suicide and grabbing the struggling youth. They rushed out of the burning house into the village, where it seemed a skirmish had already broken out between the Ashikaga vassals in the camp and the remainder of them. Fire was engulfing several houses, and the sound of shell trumpets filled the air. Dammit, this was always a worry! One of his chief officers, Hatakeyama Yoshinari, walked up to him, helping a staggering youth walk over. To Muneuji's pleasure, that youth was clearly Adachi Tokiaki.

"There you are, Lord Adachi!?" Muneuji laughed, but Adachi simply laughed.

"Of course, of course! When one drinks to excess, one often wakes up in unusual places! Today I suffer that fate with joy!"

"He came through for us and got a dozen top Houjou vassals drunk," Hatakeyama noted, glancing at the cut part of Muneuji's robe. "I see it was harder for you."

"Well of course it was!" Adachi scoffed. "Ah, now I know why Lord Kudou and Lord Houjou refused my invitation! They knew what was going to happen and wanted to match blades with you!" Muneuji's eyes narrowed--someone must have tipped him off, a worrying sign. As a soldier helped Adachi to a horse, Muneuji's attention returned to the growing battle.

"What's going on, Hatakeyama, can we hold them off?" Muneuji asked.

"We will," Hatakeyama replied. "The minute I saw them escape the house, I ordered my men to carry out our backup plan. We've taken most of their horses and can make a retreat at any time."

"Good. Let's get the hell out of here!" Muneuji said, running to his horse and preparing to ride off. "For the sake of the Ashikaga and our reward, let us ride to Kamakura!"

---​

After the end of the Banpou Invasion, the remainder of the Kamakura Shogunate fell into internal crisis as the ambitions of powerful Shogunate minister Nagasaki Enki clashed with the Shogunate's financier in the Imperial Court, Saionji Sanekane. This conflict, the Kan'an War, was by far the largest internal challenge the Houjou clan had seen since the Joukyuu War 85 years prior. Despite several initial victories and the failure of Saionji's attempt at a bloodless coup, the veteran army mobilised in the bordering regions by Toki Yorisada, Chuujou Kagenaga, and Takeda Tokitsuna won a victory at Komekami and threatened directly the Sagami Plain and Kamakura. Opposing them was Nagasaki's uncle Shigen, Shogunal bureaucrat Nikaidou Sadafuji, Rokuhara Tandai head Houjou Sadakuni, and the powerful noble Ashikaga Sadauji leading 22,000 men to Takeda Tokitsuna's 15,000.

The Tiger of Aki's force had taken a long route across Mimase Pass (三増峠) in northern Sagami Province. Shigen did not expect this advance and forced his army to make a hurried march to Mimase, where the Takeda slowly withdrew to tempt Nagasaki into attacking. Nagasaki had one secret weapon, however--Nagasaki Enki had secretly gained the allegiance of Houjou Munenaga via pressure from his second son Iesada (北条家政). Nagasaki promised to make Munenaga Rokuhara Tandai leader and to permit Takeda Tokitsuna, his brothers, and his son honorable suicides while keeping Tokitsuna's grandson (Munenaga's grand-nephew) alive as head of a much-reduced Takeda clan. This defection figured heavily into Nagasaki's plans for battle.

However, Munenaga could not bring himself to betray Takeda. He committed suicide before the battle, explaining the situation with a lengthy death poem. Takeda struck fast and detained Iesada and his three eldest sons and forced them to follow their father's example in suicide. He likewise detained other vassals of Munenaga, but those who were unaware he permitted to fight in the battle whilst unaware of the situation. However, Munenaga's third son Sadamune, furious at the circumstance of his father's death, burnt his Houjou banner and demanded none call him anything but Nagoe Sadamune (名越貞宗). He volunteered to lead a suicide unit of 100 cavalry to prove his loyalty.

Nagasaki Shigen's army faced his own internal issues. He did not trust Ashikaga Sadauji, who he thought aimed to become Shogun. An unsettling rumour from Ashikaga's enemies recalled words a monk once spoke to Sadauji's father Ietoki (足利家時)--in three generations, the Ashikaga would rise to their true glory. Sadauji had done nothing to disprove these rumours, and even the paranoid Houjou Sadatoki permitted him to treat the Ashikaga as the main branch of the Minamoto clan, increasing his legitimacy to become Shogun. Although Enki trusted Ashikaga, Shigen viewed him with far more skepticism, believing him to be a more dangerous foe than even Takeda [5].

With this lack of trust, Ashikaga's forces were dispersed through the army and not united under a single commander. The Ashikaga men knew the reason, and morale sank. The Shikoku warriors such as the Kawano and Ogasawara there suffered the same fate, despite an attempted intervention from Iyo Tandai Houjou Sadanao who acted as their leader.

Coordination was thus poor as Nagasaki Shigen attacked around noon on December 11, 1305, but he cared not for he expected Munenaga's defection to create a great shock in his enemy. Nagoe's charge was the expected beginning of this defection, but Nagoe's men struck deeply into Nagasaki's ranks and caused chaos. Nagasaki's scattered vanguard was mopped up by Takeda's resistance, and Takeda brought forth his rearguard under Toki Yorisada and Chuujou Kagenaga which rapidly destroyed most of his army. Nagasaki perished, and only Sadauji rallying the Ashikaga and Shikoku men let the surviving Houjou clan forces escape. Around 10,000 died with another 5,000 defecting--Takeda himself lost only 3,000 men and even Nagoe Sadamune managed to survive, hailed a hero for achieving victory.

Losses to the Houjou were severe. The heads of several branch families perished in battle alongside over thirty men of their clan, such as Houjou Kimisada (北条公貞) of the Nagoe. The entire Shiotari branch of the Houjou became extinct entirely. Prominent Houjou vassals such as the Suwa and Nanjou clans also lost many men. It is said the regent Houjou Mototoki wept bitterly and proclaimed the Houjou should never be the same after the battle even if the rebel army was totally destroyed.

htyXjqu.png

The Battle of Mimase Pass proved as devastating to the Houjou clan as any of the great defeats against the Mongols​

After Mimase Pass, Takeda's forces united with Shogun Takaharu's force that had been hiding in the mountains of northwestern Musashi province. They laid siege to Kamakura with an army of 30,000 men, far outnumbered the meager Houjou garrison of around 5,000 commanded by Nikaidou Sadafuji and Houjou Tomosada. But the two gave staunch resistance for they knew Ashikaga, now defacto leader of the Houjou army, was attempting to link with the 12,000 men of chinjufu-shogun Houjou Koresada.

Ashikaga adopted a strategy of guerilla warfare, attacking the lengthy supply lines of the Shogunal force. At Katasehara on December 25, his 7,000 men successfully fought off a detatchment of 10,000 under Tsubarai Nobutsugu and Nagoe Sadamune due to the defection of some of the latter's vassals and Ashikaga's brilliantly laid ambush at the banks of the Hikichi River. Ashikaga took minimal losses, but Tsubarai lost almost 3,000 men including one of his younger sons.

Frustrated with this situation, Takeda ordered another detatchment, this time half his remaining force (13,000 men) under his own son Nobumune to attack Ashikaga's army. This time he sent along many of Takaharu's men, including the Shogunal Attendants, his loyal warrior monks, and others recruited from Kamakura as well as the survivors from Shikoku. They attacked Ashikaga as his forces crossed the Sagami River bridge at the town of Chigasaki on January 8, 1306, and with their bravery broke his lines. Prominent Houjou loyalist Utsunomiya Tsunetsuna (宇都宮経綱) perished alongside Ashikaga's high-ranking vassal Imagawa Motouji and 4,000 warriors helping Ashikaga escape.

Unlike in Kamakura which was a defeat, at the Battle of Chigasaki each member achieved heroic deeds such as Toki kinsman Funaki Yoriharu claiming Kira's head. As a result, it is often called the first battle of the Shogunal Attendants. Their only loss came when Kondou Munemitsu, a young samurai of Owari who deeply trusted the Shogun, was slain by Shiba Muneuji, thus becoming their first casualty. The infamous akutou Tajimi Kuninaga replaced him as an Attendant. Legend has it that as the Shogunate forces celebrated their victory at a nearby temple where Minamoto no Yoritomo once stayed, the ghost of that old shogun appeared and protected Shogun Takaharu from vengeful ghosts, promising him he should rule as Shogun for many years to come.

The Ashikaga force disintegrated, with one group under Shiba Muneuji retreating to link with the chinjufu-shogun's force and Ashikaga himself returning to Shikoku to try raising another army. But the chinjufu-shogun Houjou Koresada still posed a potent threat and winter brought privation for the large army he commanded. Thus Takeda Tokitsuna needed to take Kamakura as soon as possible.

Attacks on Kamakura's gates failed due to mountainous terrain and strong fortifications. Five times the Takeda force attacked in January, but they were thrown back each time. Finally, Nitta Tomouji proposed an attack through Inamuragasaki, a cape with steep cliffs. At its base was an extremely narrow beach almost always underwater due to the tide. It is said that on the morning of January 15, 1306, Nitta led 5,000 warriors and prayed to the sea god Ryuujin so that he might let their forces pass. Sure enough, the tide lowered just enough to let thousands of Japanese pass on dry land. Asatani Yoshiaki of the Shogunal Attendants, a Nitta associate, rode back to Shogun Takaharu and reported the dramatic news. Takaharu ordered Takeda to make another attack.

This event owed much to tidal phenomena. January 15 is near Earth's perihelion, where tides are stronger due to the Sun being closer. It was also the day of the new moon and a new moon very close to the lunar perigee, both factors of which strengthens tides. Thus the low tide that day was far lower than usual [6].

With Nitta at their head, the 5,000 warriors inside Kamakura broke the resistance at the Gokuraku Pass and caused enough chaos that the main Takeda force stormed through into the city from several angles. Other warriors under bureaucrat-general Iga Mitsumasa (伊賀光政) and courtier Tachibana no Tomokuni rushed into the city and secured the main offices of the Shogunate and manors of prominent citizens. They overwhelmed the meager defenders, who themselves faced armed citizens furious about the events several months prior. The majority lay down arms and joined the victorious army. Defense commander Houjou Tomosada was slain by his own troops.

With both Nagasaki Takayori and Nikaidou Sadafuji dead, most surviving members of the Houjou clan present in Kamakura retreated to their family temple at Toushou-ji (東勝寺) on January 17, 1306, where they made a final stand along with a few of their vassals and bureaucrats. Nagasaki Enki committed suicide at its doors, while a few warriors guarded the outside in a final stand. The Houjou clan themselves along with some of the chief ministers, vassals, and kinsmen began committing suicide and set their temple alight. Among the dead include Shogunal regent Mototoki, regent's cosigner Sadafusa, Rokuhara Tandai leader Sadakuni, and the young head of the clan Sadanori, who at 7 years old died in the arms of his mother. Hundreds perished in one of history's largest mass suicides, with the final head priest of the temple Nanzan Shiun (南山士雲) being among the few survivors, entrusted by the Houjou to tell their story.

After nearly a century of undisputed rule over Japan, the Houjou clan had been defeated. Yet the Takeda army had little desire to change the status quo. They ordered all bureaucrats to return to work or depart the capital, and most did--for instance, the Nikaidou clan reorganised under Nikaidou Tokitsuna (二階堂時綱) and took up their positions once more. Their shogun Prince Morikuni was peacefully removed from office. The Houjou allies in the Imperial Court were banished and the child emperor En'man was forced the abdicate at the behest of retired emperor Go-Uda. Prince Kuniyoshi, sole son of Emperor Go-Nijou who escaped Kyoto as an infant in his mother's arms, became Emperor Okura (大蔵天皇). As Kuniyoshi's crown prince was Go-Uda's fifth son Prince Yoshiharu (良治親王), this marked the end of the Jimyou-in line's power over the throne. Further, as Prince Yoshiharu was Saionji Sanekane's grand-nephew, the Saionji family's power deepened even further.

The fall of Kamakura broke the Houjou clan. Houjou Koresada's army in the north disintegrated as some of their own soldiers tried to kill both him and his kinsmen Houjou Sadaaki, who was now the senior Houjou commander. Around 5,000 warriors immediately defected when they heard the news on March 2, 1306, and appointed Soga Yasumitsu their leader, but Houjou Koresada with 11,000 remaining men defeated Soga's army thanks to timely attacks from Kudou Sadasuke's men. This came at great cost, for Sadaaki died in the fighting helping Koresada escape. Unable to advance his army to Kamakura, Kudou took shelter in Dewa Province at Akita Castle and finally united his force with Ashikaga Sadauji as he attempted to organise a Houjou resistance in the north with the aid of Nagasaki Takasuke (長崎高資), Enki's son and heir.

Although a few Takeda allies such as his kinsman Henmi Nobutsune proposed he assume the rank of shogun himself, the aging Takeda Tokitsuna declined. It is likely his past experience with shogunate politics soured him on making such a drastic move that would undoubtedly spawn a new conflict, as Shogun Takaharu had many allies in the Imperial Court. Instead Takeda satisfied himself with the dual positions of shogunal regent and civil governor of Sagami Province, inaugurating the new government of the Takeda regents [7].

War against the Houjou remnants

Yet the war was not over. The naval forces of Kawano Michitada and the elderly warrior Nojima Hidetoki won a naval battle against Kutsuna Hisashige and his navy off the cape of Omaezaki (御前崎) in Totoumi Province, ensuring continued Houjou control over the seas. Kawano Michitada and Houjou Sadanao returned to Shikoku to rally another army to come to the aid of the 8,000 Houjou clan forces trapped in Akita Castle. Soon thereafter, Kawagoe Shigekata (河越重方), a powerful lord in Musashi Province whom Takeda named military governor there, was assassinated by his young cousin Kawagoe Harushige (河越治重), who had lost his two brothers at the Battle of Mimase Pass.

Kawagoe united many in Musashi against Takeda and with 3,000 men led a daring raid into Sagami in May 1306 that captured the exiled courtiers and deposed Shogun. He faced minimal opposition, for many in Sagami still favoured the Houjou clan and viewed Kawagoe as a liberator. Houjou Sadanao convinced Kawagoe to bring the courtiers to Iyo Province instead of Dewa. It seems Sadanao envisioned a dual attack from either side, hoping the Takeda would split their own forces. This was a mistake, for it sowed tension between Sadanao and Koresada at a time the Houjou could scarcely be divided.

Takeda Tokitsuna first tried attacking the Houjou in north in spring 1306. He freed many political prisoners from the Izu Islands, including Andou Takanari, and combined them into a force led by his son, Nagoe Sadamune, and Nitta Tomouji. Around 10,000 men marched north, first invading Shinano and Echigo Province where they subdued the Suwa clan and conquered Echigo. Nagoe was named deputy military governor of Echigo, yielding the post of senior military governor to his elder brother Harutoki (名越春時), a famous poet. They then attacked Dewa, joining with Soga's army and pro-Takeda lords like the Date clan and some elements of the Nanbu and Rusu clans.

But their force met disaster as they approachehd Akita Castle, for along the Omono River (雄物川) in Dewa, Houjou Koresada ambushed them on May 30. Nitta Tomouji perished in the fighting which let Ashikaga's men crush the Takeda flank. If not for the bravery of Yuuki Munehiro, the Takeda would have been totally defeated, but Yuuki's men succeeded at injuring Houjou despite the best efforts of Kudou Sadasuke's forces and turned the tide of the battle. Both sides suffered thousands of dead in the process.

Meanwhile, Saionji's agents within the exile court, probably men loyal to his cousin Tamenaka Mitsunaka (為中光仲), fed disinformation to Houjou Sadanao, making wild claims that Takeda Nobumune died and Houjou Koresada led a decisive victory. This emboldened the Shikoku forces to land 10,000 warriors in Sagami just southeast of Kamakura in August 1306. They fell into Saionji's trap, for Takeda Tokitsuna dispatched Tsubarai Nobutsugu and Komai Nobumura with 15,000 men and attacked them on August 15, 1306. The Takeda forces struck in the night with superior numbers and quickly routed the Shikoku men who ran back to their ships. The contigent from Musashi proved far less lucky--Kawagoe died in a final stand alongside many from his clan helping those Shikoku men escape, and the Kawagoe clan's 250 year-long domination of Musashi Province came to an end [8].

It would not be military action, but intrigue that resulted in Houjou Koresada's defeat. Andou Takanari convinced Takeda to march north toward Tosa, so he might gain defectors from his clan. This provoked great fear in the young head of the Andou clan, Andou Munesue, who feared his kinsman Takanari would seize control over the clan. Further, he believed Soga Yasumitsu would take even more land from the Andou than he already had. Thus on September 2, the Andou forces suddenly rose against the Houjou and evicted their loyalists from Tosa and Fujisaki Castle.

The loss of this important center in Mutsu imperiled the Houjou position in Dewa. Houjou Koresada thus ordered his army to retreat from Akita Castle to the coast of Mutsu in the east so they might flee to Shikoku, fighting their way across Dewa and Mutsu to embark on the fleet from Shikoku. Koresada hoped he could become ruler of the Houjou clan, and feared Sadanao was already planning something similar.

However, Ashikaga Sadauji was not pleased with this result and cared not for the Houjou clan squabbling over the remnants of their power. He declared he would only continue following Houjou Koresada for renewed grants. Houjou granted him the position of military governor of Sanuki and a vast amount of land in that province (with scattered estates elsewhere) and even named him to the rank of deputy Iyo Tandai effectively making him the second most powerful man in Shikoku. Additionally, the Ashikaga were officially recognised as the main line of the Minamoto clan (源氏嫡流), an honour fallen into abeyance since the assassination of Minamoto no Sanetomo nearly a century prior. This privileged Ashikaga with headship over all the branches of the Minamoto such as the Takeda, although in practice it was more or less an honorary grant [9].

Yet Ashikaga was still painfully aware he would lose most of his land, not the least the clan's ancestral Ashikaga Manor in Shimotsuke Province, coveted by both the Nitta clan and the ruling military governors of the province, the Oyama clan. He devised a scheme to maintain some semblance of power outside Shikoku and ordered his vassals in Akita Castle to surrender to the Shogunate on their own terms. Such a plot would ensure Ashikaga could easily return to power within the Shogunate when the opportunity presented itself. Further, he knew that any Takeda regime would be on shaky ground due to the Shogunate's poor finances and their lack of legitimacy--they could not afford to conduct purges on potentially disloyal lords.

So his vassals could negotiate on better terms, they had to achieve a victory, so Houjou Koresada's army, now numbering only 8,000, once again marched south and invaded Ashikaga Manor in Shimotsuke. On October 23, they met a Shogunate force along the Hata River (旗川) nearly twice their size under Takeda Nobumune. Houjou's force fought with unexpected aggression for an army believed to be demoralised. In particular, Shiba Muneuji and Kudou Sadasuke excelled at repelling Shogunate attacks. The battle lasted most of the day and resulted in around 2,000 deaths on either side and Houjou managed to escape the Shogunate trap.

The following night at the village of Kuzuu, the Ashikaga vassals launched their plot in alliance with Adachi, who viewed the Houjou cause as doomed to fail. Ashikaga vassal Shiba Muneuji killed or imprisoned a number of chief Houjou vassals, not the least of which was Nagasaki Takasuke, and demanded Houjou Koresada surrender. Houjou refused to go along with their plot and escaped with the aid of Kudou Sadasuke and united with Ashikaga, escaping to the coast where he was rescued by naval forces.

Shiba and his men entered Kamakura with a few heads and prisoners. Takeda Tokitsuna was pleased with the result--he forced Nagasaki Takasuke to commit suicide and exiled the rest of his clan to the Izu Islands. Adachi Tokiaki likewise suffered exile, for Saionji Sanekane disliked him for not joining his plot. Captured Houjou vassals lost between 1/3 and 2/3 of their land--most fled to Echigo where they begrudgingly served the Nagoe. Due to its symbolic value, the Shogunate seized much of the Ashikaga estate in Shimoutsuke and partitioned most of it between the powerful Oyama and Nitta clans. Takeda's general Asonuma Mitsusato (阿曽沼光郷), kinsmen to several clans in the area, gained most of the remainder (much to the chagrin of said clans), with Shiba Muneuji retaining only a small portion [10]. He effectively became head of the Ashikaga within Japan, but kept a secret loyalty to Sadauji. While obviously distrusted, Shiba's talent and his ability to command the loyalty of hundreds of pro-Ashikaga men made him indispensible for the wartorn nation.

Although the loss of his great estate was regretful, the terms greatly pleased Ashikaga Sadauji, for his clan still preserved a semblance of power in the Shogunate should he ever seek to return there. It further forced Houjou Koresada to rely on him as his protector, who used Ashikaga's force to obtain for himself the position of shogunal regent. The entire fate of the Houjou clan thus lay in the hands of the Ashikaga, and Ashikaga used it to his advantage by ensuring Koresada gained power on Shikoku instead of his cousin, the Iyo Tandai Sadanao, who was forced to confirm Koresada's grants. Ashikaga was even offered the Shogunate, but he did not assume that position--it seems he viewed it as too dangerous a post to occupy while the Houjou still retained power.

The Kuzuu Incident and subsequent execution of Nagasaki Takasuke on December 5, 1306 effectively concluded the Kan'an War, ending nearly a decade of conflict in Japan. However, sporadic raids from Shikoku pirate fleets and pro-Houjou akutou (not the least in Andou clan lands) still vexed the new government. Dealing with this threat--and the far greater threat posed by the Mongols and their vassal Kingdom of Japan--would be a primary challenge for the new government of the Takeda regents, but first the Takeda regents faced an even graver problem. They would have to solve the rewarding of warriors who both fought against the Mongols and against the Houjou, a challenge which the Houjou themselves could never solve. At stake was over 20% of land under the Kamakura Shogunate's control, land once owned by the Houjou and their vassals. The new warrior government and their allies in the Imperial court thus needed to make key reforms to survive the coming years as they reorganised for the challenge of restoring their country's unity.

---
Author's notes
At long last, Japan is (mostly) at peace. This continues the previous chapter, and there will be one more discussing the aftermath of the Kan'an War and Takeda Tokitsuna's rule as Shogunal regent in the next chapter. I do admit that two of the incidents here are borrowed from the Taiheiki, but I felt it much too interesting to leave out and fairly plausible to still happen in an ATL fall of the Houjou--Nitta's entry into Kamakura could be done at other dates of very low tide (as known by someone who spent time in the city) and the Houjou clan likely would have retreated to their highly defensible family temple should the city have fallen.

The aftermath of the conflict regarding the Houjou on Shikoku and their Iyo Tandai will come later. I may or may not postpone my entry on the Kingdom of Japan's own internal issue until I do a general survey of the state of the Yuan--and Mongol Empire as a whole.

Thank you for reading!

[1] - Houjou Iesada is stating the likely cause of why the Houjou clan became so trusted and powerful, since it was feared the Minamoto might come to favour their own, but if they had a Taira like the Houjou at their side, the Shogunate would be a neutral entity for warriors. From this point of view, having someone like a Takeda or an Ashikaga as shogun/shogunal regent (shikken) would be even worse since they are simply heads of provincial branches of the Minamoto.
[2] - Very loose paraphrase of translated text from the Taiheiki--this is essentially the same episode but in a totally different context with a different head of the Nitta clan (as this is Nitta Yoshisada's father Tomouji)
[3] - Houjou Tokinao was the half-brother of Akitoki (TTL executed by Houjou Sadatoki in 1285) and Sanemasa (TTL leader of the defense of Kyushu in 1281 who died in the fighting). His mother was presumably a concubine, hence his relative lack of status, and his father established the famous Kanazawa Bunko, among the greatest libraries of medieval Japan. It appears there was another Houjou Tokinao active in the early 13th century with whom this Tokinao of the Kanezawa Houjou is confused for in many sources, but judging by the dates he attained various offices, he was probably an uncle or other relative, otherwise he would have been leading armies at nearly 110 years old--I will work off that theory
[4] - His skills as a warrior are unknown, but as an adult, Nagasaki Takasuke was a rather corrupt minister and poor schemer who no doubt contributed to the ruin of the Houjou clan
[5] - This was the case OTL, and the Ashikaga suffered little retribution for these grandiose claims besides Ietoki's forced suicide (TTL he died in battle instead). The Houjou treated them as their most important and prominent vassals. It is suggested that Ashikaga Takauji's ambitious nature arose in part from this "three generations" prophecy, for he was ofo that third generation.
[6] - This is based on a famous incident from the Taiheiki involving Nitta Tomouji's son Yoshisada, and the scientific explanation is indeed the tidal range in Sagami Bay. This is incidentally why scholars believe the date given for the event in the Taiheiki is off by several weeks because it requires a precise alignment of the sun, earth, and moon to cause such a low tide.
[7] - The court-appointed governors, the kokushi (国司), was largely a ceremonial title by the Kamakura era and in Sagami Province was held by prominent Houjou clan members. Nonetheless, in addition to its guaranteed salary, the kokushi's office still held some power and sway before the expansion of the powers of the military governor (shugo) in the late 14th century
[8] - The Kawagoe clan were descended from a branch of the Taira who were deputy [imperial] governors of Musashi since the mid-11th century and translated their position into becoming defacto leader of all warriors within Musashi. They were allies of the Houjou clan and OTL backed the Houjou until their fall, resulting in their own decline
[9] - Not to be confused with Chief of the Minamoto (源氏長者), a different office which in this era was associated with court nobles (although OTL the Ashikaga eventually took control of the office) and carried a different set of rights and privileges over the Minamoto clan.
[10] - Today, the land of the Ashikaga estate is the city of Ashikaga, Tochigi Prefecture. Both the city, clan, and manor are named for the old Ashikaga District in Shimoutsuke. Originally Ashikaga estate was controlled by the so-called Fujiwara Ashikaga clan, but they lost most of it to the far more famous Minamoto Ashikaga after the Genpei War. Their clan fragmented, and the Asonuma were among them. Mitsusato's branch is specifically the junior line who moved to Aki Province, hence his association with Takeda Tokitsuna

Last edited:
The reign of the Tri-force has finally ended. Perhaps someday, they will reclaim their right of rule over Japan. But not now. Not for some time.

So we have a 'not so Takeda' shogunate. Houjou are as expected, shattered beyond recovery. I wonder how the Koj is perceiving this?. Divine punishment upon the Hojou for their mismanagement?

Legend has it that as the Shogunate forces celebrated their victory at a nearby temple where Minamoto no Yoritomo once stayed, the ghost of that old shogun appeared and protected Shogun Takaharu from vengeful ghosts, promising him he should rule as Shogun for many years to come.
👻👻👻😎

Chapter 34 - Beginning of Renewal
-XXXIV-
"Beginning of Renewal"

Kamakura, Sagami Province, May 6, 1306​

Takeda Tokitsuna leafed through the great stack of documents once more, documents describing the service of Takeda clan men in the past decade of war. It had taken him nearly a week to read through it, and he knew he had to refresh his memory to ensure his decision was just. The pages described in meticulous detail the record of how many men each soldier killed, how much their supplies cost them, how many of their peasants and horses were crippled or killed in battle, and the sort of wounds they suffered, each of them signed off with the seal of a general be it himself, a Houjou, or some other authority. How do those men of the Nikaidou and Ota clans do this work, day in and day out, without their minds melting? I cannot imagine the task our bureaucrats are doing now when just my clan's documents alone bring this much stress!

His only grandson Nobutake entered the room, the sprightly young man bowing before immediately taking an interest in his grandfather's work. One day he will lead the Takeda, and all will rely on him. May the nation be united and healthy in the era he comes to lead us.

"That's a lot of papers there, grandfather," Nobutake noted. "Aren't there people to do those for you?"

"There are," Tokitsuna replied, hoping to give another lesson to his grandson on how to lead. "Be it our clan's secretaries or the Shogunate's bureaucrats. But these documents concern the future of Japan itself, for the task of rewarding warriors is too important for any to handle but myself."

"Oh, you mean all those military governor posts the Houjou once held, father?" Nobutake asked. "Our clan is getting them, right?"

"Correct. We Takeda have been forced to assume control over this country thanks to the court's conspiracy and the unreasonableness of the Houjou's corrupt minister," Tokitsuna said, his thoughts turning to his departed friend Munenaga for a moment. "Therefore we must demonstrate that we reach every corner of this land, and that means we must operate as they did."

"Am I getting one, grandfather?" Nobutake asked.

"You will receive Sagami when it is your time," Tokitsuna answered. "But that is just a minor dignity, for your main task will be aiding your father as cosigner when my time in this world has ended."

"Oh..." Nobutake said, seemingly disappointed. "It would be wonderful to command an entire province. I surely hope I will receive rewards for all those times I battled alongside my father in Mutsu and Dewa."

"Your service as a messenger is noted," Tokitsuna said with a smile. "Therefore I will grant a portion of the land rights specifically to you as a result."

"Hmph, so many battles and I barely receive anything," Nobutake complained. He grabbed a few of the papers, leafing through them. "Shimojou Masanobu, Kurosaka Tomotsuna, just who might these people be?"

"Veteran cavalry officers of mine. Shimojou is my cousin, Kurosaka descends from my grandfather's half-brother."

"How do you decide who gets what?" Nobutake questioned. "You've got a lot of uncles and great-uncles after all, and they all have families of their own."

"They decided it for themselves with their contribution to the wars against the invader and our clash against Nagasaki Enki. It did not come without sacrifices--that is why your father only fought once at my side, when he was around your age." Tokitsuna recalled those memories from over 20 years ago, when the young Nobumune begging to fight in battle against the invader and subsequently having to caution him. He was fortunate to survive--Tokitsuna never forgot the deaths of his father and three of his brothers in the Kou'an War almost 25 years ago.

"So nobody would accuse you of favouritism? Tch, favouritism is what makes this country run!"

"That may be, but excessive favouritism leads to ruin as Taira no Kiyomori, Houjou Sadatoki, and Nagasaki Enki learned. I favour those among the Takeda who are talented. Tsubarai Nobutsugu and Ichijou Nobuhisa came from junior lines, yet because of their unparalleled talent will gain rewards fit for me of far greater status. It would be harder to learn of talent lurking within my own clan if I granted your father everything."

"I suppose so," Nobutake conceded. "If I remember geography right, we control nearly the entire country!"

"We control only a fraction. A military governor is an empty title without a military to govern." Tokitsuna reached for the paper Nobutake held. "This request is from Lord Kurosaka, who will govern Kazusa. Lord Kurosaka is receiving some land from the Houjou and those vassals who sided with them, but this amounts to very little. Kazusa was ruled by Ashikaga Sadatoki, and while his families and vassals in that province remain loyal to the Shogunate, Kurosaka is an outsider. The same can be said for the Chiba clan branch families who are also powerful in Kazusa--Kurosaka will need to govern justly as our representative, for if he does not, then they will never obey him [1]."

Nobutake seemed puzzled, but then simply smiled.

"Ruling is difficult, isn't it?"

"It is the most difficult challenge in the world," Tokitsuna replied. "One I am not fit for. When I finish this task and end the conflict with the Houjou, I will never again lift my pen to do anything beside copying a sutra."

At least he hoped so--with the Houjou remnants and Ashikaga Sadauji on one side and the invader on the other, Tokitsuna knew that retreating back into a monastery meant truly abandoning the world. Abandoning the corrupt and ephemeral world was a good thing, but he also knew it meant leaving behind all his ancestors fought for.

---
Kamakura, Sagami Province, July 7, 1306​

The meeting regarding the Nitta clan had gone on for quite some time, and an acrimonious atmosphere tore the air.

"Lord Takeda, I do not understand!" Odachi Muneuji complained. "Why do you not recall that I am the caretaker of the Nitta clan and its foremost warrior? I am not even twenty years of age but I have slain twenty enemies, and without my sword, even the late Nitta Tomouji, that men blessed by Ryuujin, could not have taken Kamakura. Surely those are fitting enough deeds to inherit Lord Nitta's post of military governor! I do not ask for his land, or anyone else's, nor do I ask to be recognised as head of the Nitta clan, or even seek Nitta's seat on this council that I am coming before!"

"That's right, that's right!" a few young Nitta clan warriors behind him yelled.

"Quiet, you!" the bureaucrat Iga Mitsumasa shouted, his voice more fit for a battlefield than a court. "Lord Odachi, the post of military governor is given to one's heir. Since Lord Nitta's heir is barely five years old, he cannot inherit that part of Lord Nitta's property."

"I intend to lay down my position immediately when he is of age. In ten, no, seven years, I will surrender my post and never again mention it, for I will even retire from the political world and enter a monastery!"

"You may always do so now," Tokitsuna said. "There is nothing stopping you but your own attachment. I have done so before and will do so again."

"Our situations are nothing in common, Lord Regent! I must protect the Nitta clan and its interests, and this decision is not in the interest of my clan or Lord Nitta."

"You protect them by accepting this decision, Lord Odachi," another bureaucrat, Nikaidou Munefuji, explained. "It would not do well for Lord Nitta to have to deal with his kinsmen refusing to surrender their title, or giving it to him in exchange for some sort of power over him."

"You dare impugn the honour and loyalty of my sons and brothers?" Odachi shouted, seemingly ready to fight the man. "A treacherous minister like you grasping at power knows nothing of either!"

"That is slander, Lord Odachi, and that will win you no reward but the most serious of censure," Nikaidou replied, his voice calm and grim voice.

"Enough of this," Tokitsuna growled. "The deputy military governor of Kouzuke, Lord Wakasa Tadakane, shall serve as military governor of Kouzuke in place of the departed Nitta Tomouji. An honoured warrior of the Shogunate such as yourself shall serve as his deputy. That is all."

Odachi clenched his fist in rage, but Tokitsuna's look clearly unnerved him. He sank back into his group of warriors, but turned around at once.

"Lord Takeda, you are a fine warrior, but I pray you gain more wisdom on ruling! Like the Houjou, you have listened to the worst advice and made a terrible ruling against my clan [2]! Lord Wakasa Tadakane has no place in Kouzuke, for he is a warrior of middling skill with no connection to that land. So many warriors of the west have now entered the east that we of the east have little to gain! We fight and die just the same, so why do we not receive the same reward?"

"Were connections to the land the only matter of importance, then neither you nor Wakasa would govern Kouzuke, but instead Kouzuke's farmers themselves would rule," Tokitsuna explained. "Yet this nation is one that respects the professions established at the dawn of time and thus we warrior nobles rule instead. A warrior noble derives his power from not just his deeds, but his bloodline. Lord Wakasa is my cousin and he has fought very well--surely he deserves a reward as well. He is only military governor until the young Lord Nitta grows to adulthood--I am sure by then a suitable post shall be open for Lord Wakasa and perhaps even for you as well."

"Tch...damn it all!" Odachi shouted.

"Yet should you persist in seeking what is not yours, then you will be subject to laws not established by heaven, but by those who seek to emulate heaven's justice," Tokitsuna warned. "It is best we end this discussion, Lord Odachi."

"V-very well, Lord Takeda," Odachi said. His warriors shot Takeda and the bureaucrats dirty looks as Takeda slouched down, tired from a day of handling complains like this one. Truly this reform of the Board of Councillors was a wise decision, for my clan isn't suffering alone from this nonsense day after day.

---
Kamakura, Sagami Province, September 2, 1307​

Takeda Nobumune left the temple on a rainy summer day, the clouds as grim as their mood. His father, Takeda Tokitsuna, was dead, having died far more peacefully than a man who spent decades at war had any right to. The eyes of the crowd focused on him, for all wondered just what he might do now.

Nobumune was now the shogun's regent, the true holder of power in Japan, something he would never have imagined 2 years ago. His mind felt numb from the burden placed upon him. He would now inherit that nigh-impossible task of defeating the invader, the enemies who so often defeated him in the field in those miserable days spent campaigning in Mutsu and Dewa.

Men and women in mourning clothes knelt on the ground beside the wide lane of Wakamiya-oji as the procession passed. Shogun Takaharu himself greeted Takeda, flanked by a dozen men with swords, those powerful Shogunal Attendants.

"Lord Takeda, I am sorry to hear of your loss," the youth said. "Had the Tiger of Aki another ten years, the wicked invader would surely be driven back into the sea."

"Had he another ten years, it would not be the invader being driven into the sea but many sutras driven into his head," Nobumune replied with a heavy heart. "His heart for battle died many years ago and he sought the wisdom only a monk might provide."

"Then he truly was a wise man," the shogun said. "We must build a temple in his memory so more of us may discover that wisdom. Perhaps we shall locate it near where the Houjou clan perished?" [3]

"A wise idea. I have been worried about that myself, and I pray their ghosts did not harm my father," Nobumune replied. "It is a shame that in the end, the invader managed to steal so many of our craftsmen."

"Countless lords among the rebels who side with the invader fear him," the shogun said. "Perhaps they will ensure a few craftsmen might return."

"I agree. At that point, our only challenger is those damned monks from Nara who will no doubt site their own branch temple where the Houjou's Toushou-ji once stood."

"I will ensure they don't. Even Lord Saionji knows Takeda Tokitsuna's spirit must be placated."

"That is well and good, Shogun," Nobumune said. Dealing with the invader may be the easiest task ahead of me. That meddling former grand chancellor and his son are far worse. "Now let us continue."

The procession carried on their march down Wakamiya-oji, but Nobumune could only think of the dangerous future ahead, wishing his father was there to give him advice.

---
Yuan China, December 29, 1307​

Burilgitei sat meditating in his chambers, the incidents of the past months heavy on his mind. But all of a sudden, his son walked in.

"Tongtong, what are you doing here and why do you disturb me?" [4]

"I have heard news from the merchant quarter," he said. "The Japanese say the Tiger of Aki, Takeda Tokitsuna, is dead. He died early in the eighth month of last year." [5]

Burilgitei's eyes widened and heart pulsed faster as he heard the news. At once he glanced at his wall where the fine Japanese blade Takeda sent hung there. The blade itself felt alive, waiting to be drawn from its scabbard so it might live up to its name Haishagiri and take either his or Takeda's head. Dead? That resilent man finally met his end?

"Y-You mentioned his name before," Tongtong said, looking rather awkward. "So I thought you might be interested. Anyway, I am sorry for interrupt--"

"Stay here. Tell me everything you know," Burilgitei said as the unreality of it all struck him hard. For every battle I won against him, I could never truly defeat him! Accursed death, taking his life before I could!

"I-I know very little," Tongtong answered. "Perhaps you should have let me go to Japan, then I might have known more."

"You would not have survived against Takeda and his men," Burilgitei growled. "That is why I ensured you remained here and dealt with rebels instead."

"I-I understand, Father" Tongtong said. "But that Takeda must have been a titan of the battlefield. The Japanese seemed amazed he was dead, and a few even respected him despite him being a rebel."

"He was among those men who raised war to an art, much as my great-grandfather Subotai and those other wise men who accompanied Genghis Khan as he conquered half the world. Perhaps in the afterlife their armies clash and Takeda finally learns a true defeat."

"Interesting that you have much respect for this man despite being an enemy," Tongtong said.

"A man should respect his teachers, and among so many things he taught me. Takeda is one of those who taught me that I must do more than emulate my ancestors," said Burilgitei. He stood up and took the sword off the wall.

"Where are you taking that sword?" Tongtong asked.

"I am taking it to Japan. I will ensure it finds its way to Takeda's homeland in that place they call Aki Province, where he and his warriors held off my army time and time again. There I will donate it to a shrine of his religion, as well as found a temple."

Tongtong seemed annoyed at that one, for clearly he coveted the fine blade. I wish he was not so greedy.

"Tch, we don't have that sort of money laying around!"

"Every temple we found is a place where our monks can reside so they might not fall under the influence of Japanese clergy. It is a deed that shall reward my soul, and I pray your soul as well, in the end." Burilgitei said. "One day, the Takeda will join our side, for I know that not all of them are foolish enough to die with their nation. When that day comes, they will thank me, or you, or the sons you might father in the future for helping remember their ancestor in such manner."

---​

The Kan'an War largely ended in early December 1306 with the entry of Shiba Muneuji to Kamakura and the subsequent forced suicides and banishments of those remaining Houjou vassals who refused to pledge loyalty to the reorganised Kamakura Shogunate and its Takeda regents. Although the war nominally continued for the Houjou remnants on Shikoku--the Iyo Tandai--refused to recognise the Takeda regents in Kamakura, in practice little fighting occurred beside minor incidents of pro-Houjou akutou and the occasional pirate attack. After years of war, an era of rebuilding finally appeared in Japan, one that posed many challenges in its own right.

The gravest question facing Kamakura lay in the rewarding of land after the conflict. Shogunal regent Takeda Tokitsuna held ultimate authority over redistributing the Houjou clan's extensive lands that amounted to about 20% of land in the country. Because of Takeda's deep religiosity, much of it went to religious institutions who had backed his coup. These included Kamakura's leading institutions, funds for branch temples in Kamakura now serving as the main temple of their institution (such as Houkou-ji, branch temple of the Fujiwara clan's Choufuku-ji in occupied Nara), and money for planned reconctructions of Enryaku-ji, Itsukushima, and other large temples and shrines that lay in ruins. Additionally, prominent Nichiren temples such as the Ikegami Honmon-ji (本門寺) and the head temple itself Kuon-ji (久遠寺) also received large grants for the first time to reward them for their support. Land stewards and other bureaucrats from the Takeda clan and branch families filled their administrative posts.

Outside of the Takeda clan and Takeda's closest allies, the warriors of eastern Japan received relatively few grants. Further, much of the Houjou's land rights reverted to the Imperial Court or religious institutions, either permanently or temporarily. In the latter case, this was to fund ambitious rebuilding programs, although much went directly to the pockets of powerful court nobles who oversaw these projects on behalf of the clergy. [6]

That is not to say the Shogunate had become mere pawns of the court. The eastern provinces of Japan, particularly in the Kanto, was the homeland of the warrior class, and through various contracts and lawsuits they had over the years acquired a great variety of rights in controlling their own land, usually in exchange for regular payments to the court. Although powerful courtiers complained of these disadvantageous arrangements (particularly as they no longer had access to land in western Japan which lacked these contracts), the Shogunate refused to restrict or regulate it whatsoever, promoted its expansion, and in certain lawsuits even codified it.

This set the tone for the Takeda regency--it would be a government where court and Shogunate worked together toward the goal of reclaiming Japan, with the unifying force being Shogun Takaharu himself. The court nobles used their income to fund the Shogunate and its warriors in exchange for protection, while the Shogunal institutions themselves adjudicated disputes between warriors.

Of Takeda's administration, he retained much of the infrastructure built by the Houjou clan. He named his son Nobumune as cosigner, beginning a trend where the cosigner was to serve as co-ruler. The institution of the chinjufu-shogun and his regional administration continued--Takeda appointed his half-brother Tokihira (武田時平). Takeda rearranged the governance of the chinjufu-shogun's realm, and created a new office underneath the chinjufu-shogun, the Dewa Commandery (出羽府) [7]. This functioned as the chief deputy for the chinjufu-shogun to govern the large province of Dewa, which under the Houjou had no military governor. His trusted general and kinsman Tsubarai Nobutsugu obtained this post, held simultaneously with the court position of governor of Akita Castle.

Takeda restructured the military as well. The Rokuhara Tandai was abolished, due to the fact it was an institution for controlling western Japan's warriors. Its defacto successor, the Kamakura Tandai, was only a minor office that adjudicated disputes involving warrior nobles in the capital and had no authority over the palace and court nobles, as per the instructions of Saionji Sanekane. Armies were commanded directly by the Board of Retainers (侍所, samurai-dokoro), which as before was still headed by the shogunal regent. In practice, the board designated two Deputy Directors (所司代) as heads of armies. Usually these men were a military governor temporarily stationed in Kamakura, and the post frequently rotated.

The Imperial Police Agency also served as an increasingly important force. It was a project of Shogun Takaharu, the retired Emperor Go-Uda, and several courtiers such as Horikawa Mototoshi (堀川基俊) to transfer the institution of the Imperial Police to Kamakura. As in Kyoto, the Imperial Police patrolled the city, protected merchants and marketplaces frequented by those affiliated with the palace, and dispensed justice to both courtiers and common criminals alike. Horikawa, a long-time resident of Kamakura, assumed command of the police despite holding much higher court rank than a typical Chief of the Imperial Police (検非違使別当)--this was suggested by Takaharu to demonstrate a renewed importance of the Imperial Police, something desired by both him and Saionji Sanekane.

Crucial to this was re-establishing the Imperial Police's authority within the province. They placed an office an each province located at the governor's residence and stationed several samurai and ashigaru there to aid the provincial governor. These samurai, all drawn from those samurai within the Six Guards, directly served the court and its governor, not the military governor. In the provinces, they carried out the important task of apprehending criminals on estates owned by court nobles and temples, a job which periodically brought them into conflict with local land stewards and military families who sought that privilege for themselves. Depending on district and estate, sometimes the Imperial Police clashed with these warriors and held little control, other times they absorbed the nobles into their ranks, and still other times a tenuous peace held.

In Kamakura itself, the Imperial Police practically served as the city's garrison. Citizens were drawn into its ranks, commanded by samurai officers. They patrolled the streets in a regular manner, arrested criminals, and conducted investigations into issues involving every group beside the military nobles. However, most of their time they spent drilling and training, forming a strong paramilitary organisation.

As they became a paramilitary organisation, Imperial Police swelled in size following the beginning of the Takeda regency to perhaps 4,000 men in Kamakura alone, with another 2,000 scattered throughout the provinces. The Takeda Regency had little control over them beside the origin of their officers as samurai, and often complained to the court during inevitably overlapping of jurisdictions in their investigations. Yet fortunately for the Takeda, the Imperial Police lacked infrastructure outside of Kamakura and a few nearby port towns on the Uchitsumi [8].

The Takeda clan as an institution was far different than the Houjou clan, lacking their strong internal structures. Takeda Tokitsuna was also aware that establishing a class of personal vassals would recreate the internal conflicts that destabilised the Kamakura Shogunate. Therefore, his own personal vassals held no specific legal status or title. However, they were the beneficiaries of a huge number of grants and always held the right to an audience with the Shogun ensuring they formed a defacto superior class.

Takeda vassals occupied many provincial posts formerly held by the Houjou, concentrated along the borderlands. Of his foremost generals, Komai Nobumura for instance gained the province of Ise and Ichijou Nobuhisa gained Shima. Over half of the provinces under the Kamakura Shogunate's authority ended up governed by a Takeda or a Takeda branch family. Their deputy military governors were more diverse--while some were local elites, others were generals (or heirs of a deceased general) who served under Takeda. Because these generals mostly hailed from western Japan, they were usually descendents of those awarded land in the west in 1221 following the Joukyuu War--they thus preferred to settle near their distant relatives in the east.

Jni9YIa.png

Military governor (shugo) posts in Japan, 1307--provinces in deep red are governed by the Takeda clan and their branch families

Eastern Japan's clans who sided with the Takeda kept their positions, but they rarely gained much more from it. The sole exception was the Nitta clan, whose head Tomouji proved so capable in taking Kamakura by sea in 1306--they gained their home province of Kouzuke. But when Nitta Tomouji died in battle several months later, Takeda Tokitsuna named his cousin Wakasa Tadakane as military governor while giving Nitta's kinsman Odachi Muneuji (大舘宗氏) the position of deputy. When Odachi pressed Takeda why he was not military governor, Takeda claimed that post was reserved for Nitta's underage heir.

Of the provinces partially or entirely controlled by the Kamakura Shogunate, only six had a non-Takeda military governor--Echigo (Nagoe clan), Shimousa (Chiba clan), Shimoutsuke (Oyama clan), Hitachi (Shishido clan), Mino (Toki clan), and Owari (Chuujou clan). Although Takeda branch families received disproportionate amounts of military governor positions, the Takeda clan was far less entrenched than their Houjou predecessors. Takeda branch families assigned provincial estates controlled far less local land than their Houjou predecessors did, and of that local land they had fewer rights and privileges, thus receiving less income and exerting less control.

It is clear they relied heavily on their deputy military governors and especially district elites to exercise control in their province. For instance, although Takeda's half-brother Mitsutoki (武田光時) governed Shinano Province, he relied heavily on the elderly deputy military governor Ogasawara Munenaga (小笠原長政)--a holdover from Houjou times who defected to the Takeda side after the Battle of Mimase Pass--to rule the province, as well as powerful local samurai like Murakami Nobuyasu (村上信泰) [9]. However, the Takeda did secure themselves well in provinces where much Houjou land was available to be seized such as Izu, Suruga, Mutsu, and Dewa.

Takeda Tokitsuna's grants demonstrate his intention of creating a hierarchy within the Takeda clan in hopes of avoiding the conflicts that plagued the Houjou throughout their existence. Although he had three younger brothers, they did not survive the Mongol Invasions, so he gave the powerful posts of chinjufu-shogun to his elder half-brother and his younger half-brother received the crucial province of Shinano. Tokitsuna concentrated branch family generals known for talent in border provinces while granting the position of military governor to his more immediate kinsmen (all descendents of his great-grandfather Mitsunobu) provinces elsewhere. However, based on his land grants, it is clear he favoured in particular the Isawa Takeda of Kai Province, no doubt to keep their loyalty for they had been close to the Houjou clan and Nagasaki Enki in particular.

The greatest challenge to the new administration came with the dissolution of the Houjou clan. They and their vassals controlled over 20% of the country's land at the time of their downfall, but the Houjou assembled these vast amounts of estates from donations, success in lawsuits, and most infamously, seizing it from rebels (especially after the Joukyuu War in 1221, the Houji Conflict of 1247, and the Tenkou Rebellion of 1286) or those clans rendered nigh-extinct from deaths in battle. With the downfall of the Houjou came a barrage of lawsuits, some of which involved claims dating back over a century. All desired their land back, which prevented a smooth distribution of rewards for service in the Mongol Invasions and the Kan'an War. It is said thousands of warriors flooded Kamakura in 1306, filing claims of land they were owed.

Kamakura's records were damaged by the fires in 1305 and 1306, which forced the Takeda to rely on the court's Records Office (記録荘園券契所). Conveniently, this office was under Takaharu's purview as Minister of Internal Affairs, which amplified the Shogun's influence in resolving these cases. Because of Takaharu's own Confucian views regarding governance and leadership, he used his position to mitigate extensive interference from the court but also to secure the allegiance of a great number of warriors. Through this, Takaharu became the strongest shogun in over a century.

Even with the Records Office, the challenge would not be easily resolved. The Takeda expanded the various courts and investigative agencies the Houjou established, further deepening their reliance on court income to fund their activities. Takeda Tokitsuna also vigorously enforced a Houjou era law stating all claims older than 20 years were to be ignored--this dismissed many of the older claims such as the large amount regarding the Joukyuu War and Houji Rebellion, and the earliest purges of the Houjou Sadatoki era which opened up plenty of land to redistribute, but left the troubling matter of the later purges and vast number of estates that reverted to government holdings during the third and fourth Mongol Invasions.

To cut through the bureaucratic red tape, the Takeda regents came to favour the "destitute." Normally meant for warriors with genuine need, the definition of "destitute" came to include practically any warrior from Western Japan without land or close relatives in Eastern Japan. These men obtained much Houjou land for themselves, further eroding the base of Eastern Japan's warriors.

Religious institutions also benefitted disproportionately, for both Takeda Tokitsuna and Shogun Takaharu made frequent donations to temples. In any case involving a warrior attempting to claim land the Houjou donated to a religious institution, thanks to the influence of these two ensured the warrior would either serve in administering that land on behalf of a temple, or they would not administer it at all. Winning a lawsuit against a religious institution under Takeda Tokitsuna proved impossible.

One province this did not occur was Echigo Province, governed by Nagoe Harutoki with Nagoe Sadamune as his deputy--in practice, Sadamune ruled the province due to Harutoki preferring the cultural life of Kamakura to the frigid and remote Echigo. Nagoe took charge of a vast amount of Houjou land within the province and used it to support those few Houjou vassals who retained loyalty to the new regime. Most prominent among his vassals were the Houjou vassals who became the Four Heavenly Kings of the Nagoe--the Shihouden clan, the Satsuma clan, the Okura clan, and the Shibuya clan.

Overall, the Takeda partitioned much of the Houjou land and did not retain much for themselves. They controlled perhaps only 10% of the land in Japan either directly or as land stewards, and a fair portion of that lay in their home province of Kai as well as in nearby Sagami, where Takeda Tokitsuna rewarded himself with confiscated Houjou land to both replace the estates in Aki he lost as well as more importantly to support his new administration.

Although the Takeda dominated at many levels of the Kamakura Shogunate, Takeda Tokitsuna opened Shogunal institutions such as the Board of Councillors (評定衆, Hyoujoushuu) to other prominent clans. Under Takeda domination, an even mixture of representatives from bureaucratic clans such as the Ota and Nikaidou served alongside members of the Takeda clan and four members appointed from high-ranking warrior houses (specifically the Toki, the Chiba, the Sasaki, and the Nitta). At times, acting members selected from these ranks filled in, such as when Nitta Tomouji perished and his seat was filled by Iga Mitsumasa. This was a marked change from the Houjou era where the majority of its members had been Houjou. However, this came at some cost of efficiency, for many of the warriors appointed had little administrative experience (a challenge the Houjou themselves faced in the 1230s).

Takeda Tokitsuna created new institutions as well. He used captured ships and sailors from the Houjou-suigun to create the Shogunate Navy (幕府水軍, Bakufu-suigun), Japan's first national navy, and encouraged shogunal vassals to donate ships and crews. The Kutsuna clan readily responded to augment their power, so command was granted to Kutsuna Hisashige. The Shogunal Navy was funded directly by the Shogunate's income, and was distinct from the Houjou Navy through its organised system of naval inspectors stationed in each coastal province. These men did everything from obtained naval supplies, recruited sailors and captains, and purchased ships. In essence, it was an attempt to expand the system of provincial levies to naval matters.

Takeda's rule as regent was relatively uneventful. He continued prosecuting the Kan'an War in 1306 and 1307, reducing Houjou presence outside of Shikoku to little more than akutou bands proclaiming their support. But like the Houjou, he proved incapable of quelling the longstanding tension in the Andou clan that had caused so much strife the previous decades. Andou Takanari was furious the Takeda recognised Andou Munesue as head of the clan. Thus he joined forces with Houjou remnants in spring 1307 and with an army of Ainu peasant rebels and Houjou remnants attacked Tosa, where his men looted the city and killed several local bureaucrats. However, the chinjufu-shogun Takeda Tokihira and Andou rival Soga Yasumitsu approached with a large and veteran army, so Andou and his force fled to the Mongol-ruled Ezo Shogunate where he continued to scheme at gaining power.

On June 1, 1307, Takeda Tokitsuna abdicated his position as shogunal regent to his son Nobumune and returned to life as the Zen Buddhist monk Kounin (光潤). It is said he did not once try and influence politics from behind the scenes and refused to discuss any matters beside religion. On September 1, 1307, Takeda Tokitsuna suddenly died and Japan greatly mourned the death of the Tiger of Aki. It is said that even his fiercest opponent Burilgitei dispatched a monk to leave offerings for Takeda's grave and sponsored the renovation of several temples in Aki Province. His son Nobumune now faced the great challenge of holding together the fragile coalition of religious institutions, court nobles, and all manner of provincial warriors against the power of the Mongol Empire.

---
Author's notes

This is the first chapter in quite a while not dealing with wars and battles. These can be a little tricker to write since they inherently deal with the intricacies of medieval Japanese law and land tenure. I suggest Cambridge History of Japan 3: Medieval Japan for an overview, but I hope the very, very simplified overview I've given here and in other chapters is sufficient. I am also putting together a Takeda family tree (for this era), but it is not complete and is better served in a later entry.

In any case, this will be the last Kamakura Shogunate chapter for a while, since the next few will handle the Yuan and the broader Mongol Empire. They are a bit out of order chronologically, however. As always, thanks for reading!

[1] - The military governors of the Kamakura era held far fewer privileges and legal rights than those in later periods and relied heavily on both civil governors (whom they eroded the power of when they could, at least during the late Kamakura era) and local warriors to carry out their duties
[2] - Odachi and his father was involved in a series of lawsuits and potentially skirmishes against certain members of the Nitta and Ashikaga clan, which he ultimately lost. It was instances like these that led the Nitta clan as a whole to rebel against the Houjou OTL.
[3] - TTL's equivalent to Kamakura's Houkai-ji, built by Emperor Go-Daigo and Ashikaga Takauji following his destruction of the Houjou clan. It was deemed necessary to build the temple lest the restless spirits of the Houjou clan bring ruin to Kamakura and the Shogunate as a whole
[4] - Sources cite the name of Burilgitei's son as Tongtong (童童). It may be the same as the Jurchen/Manchu name Dodo (like the son of Nurhaci of the Aisin Gioro), but that name used different transcription so I'll just leave it with the Chinese. It may also be a nickname since based on his description in History of Yuan, Tongtong was not well-regarded as a politician.
[5] - Eighth lunar month, which started in late August (by my calculations)--Tokitsuna has his OTL day of death which was apparently September 1 by the Western calendar.
[6] - In the Kamakura era, income from an estate was divided into various shares. Typically one share went to the warrior noble land steward who managed to land, one share went to the lesser court noble, imperial prince, or religious institution who actually owned the land, and one share went to a high noble at court who appealed to the central government to protect the land from lawsuits from other nobles. This system was disintegrating in this era (especially in the Kanto) as nobles had their own interests and legally or illegally acquired more and more of these shares or sometimes outright acquired it, but it was still fairly intact compared to a century later when the Ashikaga Shogunate practically encouraged its disintegration through its policies
[7] - Dewa and Mutsu had no military governor (shugo) and the Shogunate carried out its functions in those provinces with a variety of offices, including at one point the chinjufu-shogun. By giving Dewa autonomy from Mutsu, this reduces the strength of the chinjufu-shogun and makes him more reliant on Kamakura.
[8] - The Uchitsumi (内海), literally "inland sea", was the medieval name of Tokyo Bay. I've decided to render it by its Japanese name since several bodies, including the nearby Katori Sea and the larger Inland Sea between western Honshu, Kyushu, and Shikoku, are called the same name.
[9] - I should bring it up now because this confused me earlier, but there are two branches of the Ogasawara at this point, one in Awa Province on Shikoku and the other in Shinano. At one point in the late 13th century, the heads of each branch were named Ogasawara Nagamasa, but spelled with different kanji (長政 vs 長親). TTL, Ogasawara Nagamasa of Awa (小笠原長親) starved to death with his sons at the Siege of Onishi Castle in July 1302, but Ogasawara Nagamasa of Shinano lives a long life (as his son and grandson did) and remains deputy military governor of Shinano (as he probably was OTL).

Last edited:
So the tiger is dead, after suffering from a tremendous headache of ruling Japan in the mess of post Hojou era.

Will the imperial police become preatorian/Janissaries in the future? Their fluid structure seems to prove otherwise though.