The R-QBAM main thread

Apologies for the long break since the last patch. Baffin island was a big, annoying job, the Quebec overhaul spiralled into a being a bigger job than I expected, and for the last two weeks of December RL threw everything it could at me to bring progress grinding to a halt.

Seriously, what is it with my luck in December?; in 2021 I got burned out and put the project on ice for three months, in 2022 my laptop broke and took a month and a half to fix. This year, between multiple family/social events (some of which required a fair amount of travelling), the three days I took off around christmas and the fact that I got wiped out twice by two different nasty colds for a week each really threw a spanner in the works.

I had Baffin island finished by new years day (I could've finished it on the 20th if it wasn't for the first damn illness), and I was expecting the Quebec patch to be a simple affair. It instead ballooned into more of a general overhaul, and after a week slowly grinding through it, yesterday I finally snapped and decided I've had enough of Canada for the time being and I need a break. Hence today's patch, featuring the addition of Baffin island but missing the still-unfinished Quebec overhaul, which in hindsight I really should've done as its own patch rather than as a corollary to this one. The Quebec overhaul, (which I'd guess is about 70% done) will be bundled in with the next Canada patch, whenever I get that out.

It's been a while since I've done some replies, but I've had a long day, I have other stuff to do and I really don't feel like it right now. I'll try and get to it when I put out the next patch.

The original plan for the next patch was a bit more of Brazil, then back to Canada for another chunk of Nunavut, however I'm currently feeling so done with Arctic Canada that I may end up doing a larger chunk of South America than I originally planned before returning to Nunavut. We'll see what I end up doing over the next week or so, but for now I'm still a little unsure. You'll be pleased to know that the next patch should be ready in substantially less time than this one took, whatever I decide on doing.

Patch 105 - Oh, Canada 8 (Baffin Island);
- Added a significant chunk of Nunavut, most notably Baffin Island, but also the Melville Peninsula and Southampton Island, in addition to many associated islands and islets.

1704748519967.png

Apologies for the long break since the last patch. Baffin island was a big, annoying job, the Quebec overhaul spiralled into a being a bigger job than I expected, and for the last two weeks of December RL threw everything it could at me to bring progress grinding to a halt.

Seriously, what is it with my luck in December?; in 2021 I got burned out and put the project on ice for three months, in 2022 my laptop broke and took a month and a half to fix. This year, between multiple family/social events (some of which required a fair amount of travelling), the three days I took off around christmas and the fact that I got wiped out twice by two different nasty colds for a week each really threw a spanner in the works.

I had Baffin island finished by new years day (I could've finished it on the 20th if it wasn't for the first damn illness), and I was expecting the Quebec patch to be a simple affair. It instead ballooned into more of a general overhaul, and after a week slowly grinding through it, yesterday I finally snapped and decided I've had enough of Canada for the time being and I need a break. Hence today's patch, featuring the addition of Baffin island but missing the still-unfinished Quebec overhaul, which in hindsight I really should've done as its own patch rather than as a corollary to this one. The Quebec overhaul, (which I'd guess is about 70% done) will be bundled in with the next Canada patch, whenever I get that out.

It's been a while since I've done some replies, but I've had a long day, I have other stuff to do and I really don't feel like it right now. I'll try and get to it when I put out the next patch.

The original plan for the next patch was a bit more of Brazil, then back to Canada for another chunk of Nunavut, however I'm currently feeling so done with Arctic Canada that I may end up doing a larger chunk of South America than I originally planned before returning to Nunavut. We'll see what I end up doing over the next week or so, but for now I'm still a little unsure. You'll be pleased to know that the next patch should be ready in substantially less time than this one took, whatever I decide on doing.

Patch 105 - Oh, Canada 8 (Baffin Island);
- Added a significant chunk of Nunavut, most notably Baffin Island, but also the Melville Peninsula and Southampton Island, in addition to many associated islands and islets.

View attachment 880445
It's going beautiful

Oh well, @Tanystropheus42 you beat me on doing the first post of 2024 here by some hours, unfair...
Jokes aside, jeez Canada is indeed annoying, cartographically speaking, but yeah ngl the rivers got me an nasty burnout there, however they are indeed still in production. So twoo things I was hoping to happen try to get a better view of of the region, my main source for rivers, the HydroRIVERS from HydroSHEDS v1 was suppoused to get a new v2 version if significant improvement for artic area data (stuff like actually getting river paths above 60°N right) somewhere in 2023... Well that didn't happened, so that was a bummer, I still can use the v1 supposedly whitout problems until I try get stuff beyond 60°N (in wich case triple checking isn't that fun you know) but I wished that wasn't a thing to still be worried about by now; the other more productive thing I was doing in the meanwhile was messing with QGIS to just do a Robison proj. directly on my source in order to not deal with so much distortion around Canada. In that I actually updated my QGIS version and notice funny thing... A thing that I knew was a thing possible to do before but never actually done it because I'm a noob in that, but now all of sudden, I finally manage to do it, like for real and that was a amazing news. So what I done is this:
image.png

Yes, what you are seeing is literally the current OSM date here in RQBAM form
Although I think I'm actually just reinventing the wheel on this forum here, the fact is I didn't know how the hell to do this properly before, so I'd say this is a win, but obviously the excess data leaves this base map too polluted to put it to good use, that's why I spent the last week collecting and formatting OSM data shapefiles to have a usable layer of the (mostly) first level administrative divisions of all countries in the world... + a layer with all (? I hope so) aboriginal lands (YES I FINALLY GOT THIS, fiding sources for the Colombian ones was real hindrance, thank you OSM my beloved)
image.png

image.png

An mixed one of the 2:
image.png

So @Tanystropheus42 the main reasson I'm did these (beyond getting that aboriginal land layer too) is that before this I have had sources for subdivisions that where pretty incorrect/outdated before, I did talk here the use of GADM base I did some months ago but as time went on it was clear that wasn't a up to date I hoped (that Nepal situation was a thing), then I tried a source made by ESRI on October last year, and it had some floopy borders on the Middle East... At least compared with OSM, wich I'm assuming is the most accurate public source avaiable right now, beyond it literally be up to date (like lit. is the current January 2024 version what I got), it has stuff that was gotted wrong by other sources like the existence of the Halabja Governorate in Iraq, (that was a 2014 change that mostly everyone got it wrong, even Wikipedia just a few months back corrected it in their articles about it so yeah), for this reason is that I got this layer, and well I'm not sure if your main source is the OSM or not but in either case whenever we start get subdivisions or update the map for the current year, a new base with Jan. 2024 borders is handy.
This whole thing got me excited also because I literally can get even more stuff up to date with this process (second and third level adm. divisions, statistical divisions if avaiable, protected ares etc). I will of course go back into the Canadian fluvial mess and hopefully get that done still in January, but I'm really happy how this OSM stuff turned out.

Last edited:
Oh I almost forgot about a little thing I've done too during my burnout, although this is more general thing than RQBAM related per se, an font pretty comon used in map making here on the forum is 04b03, and yeah it's pretty handy and all by it's size in 6 but it doesn't have support for diacritcs, so I did a little search and I got some good possible fonts to be used in a good chunk of language besides English (if it uses Latin script of course)
image.png

So I tried characters from Portuguese, Turkish, Vietnamese, Swedish, Polish, Arabic and Sanskrit romanization, and the 2 best performing ones where Kubasta at 7,5 size and the tiny 5Mikropix at 6 size, and I think they are of optimal uses in a lot of cases, and also these other fonst also had their charm too

Last edited:
If we're going for a new standard, can we nudge the font size up a bit please? I spend a lot of time squinting at tiny font on labels as is and even with that practice some of those are a strain for me.

How does the Kubasta look at about size 10?

If we're going for a new standard, can we nudge the font size up a bit please? I spend a lot of time squinting at tiny font on labels as is and even with that practice some of those are a strain for me.

How does the Kubasta look at about size 10?
Well, not great... At least if you are doing it without smothing. The thing is that these fonts I picked are bitmap fonts, aka they are technically "pixel art" in some sence, because of that in a image editor (i.e. paint.net in my case) they have few sizes where they do work and others they look bad (unless you do smothing with them), so the minium size possible without being buggy looking for Kubasta is 7,5 while the next one is 15, for 5Mikropix min. is 6 and next is 12, the Pixeloid family is werdly 6,5 min. and the next one 13.5. Here's how it looks:
1704813301802.png

Now the thing with tiny sizes is that on the map proportions we use here, in the case of RQBAM, 5Mikropix can almost fit the main political cities in Israel & Palestine for example (you gonna need to ignore Amman in Jordan to do that, but details)

What a coincidence, I was thinking of making a pixel font for mapping lol
Maybe in the future, if you folks can't find an all-in-one font and don't make one of your own before I awaken from my slumber of studying :)
Also Rac you did an AMAZING job
Just be wary, OSM isn't an entirely correct database, while it is really accurate for political divisions, it can be misleading in natural land cover and sometimes even the locations of certain lakes, especially in underdeveloped areas.

Last edited:
Well, not great... At least if you are doing it without smothing. The thing is that these fonts I picked are bitmap fonts, aka they are technically "pixel art" in some sence, because of that in a image editor (i.e. paint.net in my case) they have few sizes where they do work and others they look bad (unless you do smothing with them), so the minium size possible without being buggy looking for Kubasta is 7,5 while the next one is 15, for 5Mikropix min. is 6 and next is 12, the Pixeloid family is werdly 6,5 min. and the next one 13.5. Here's how it looks:
View attachment 880594
Now the thing with tiny sizes is that on the map proportions we use here, in the case of RQBAM, 5Mikropix can almost fit the main political cities in Israel & Palestine for example (you gonna need to ignore Amman in Jordan to do that, but details)

Ah, see the difference here is I just wouldn't bother doing on map labels for cities at that scale- or rather I'd do it as numbered plus external key if it was needed.

A smaller patch today, adding most of what's left of Brazil, with just Rio Grande do Sul to go. I know I said I might end up doing a bigger South America patch, but in practice things didn't pan out that way as I had a hectic week IRL last week. Next up, more of Nunavut, adding most of the Nunavut mainland and a few more of the islands. It may only take a fortnight, but as Baffin island proved it could take over a month, so don't be surprised if there's a long wait for the next patch.

But first, some replies, as I haven't done one of these in a while;

I have a question about QBAM and R-QBAM:
Does the western boundary on the map coincide with the US-Russia maritime border in Alaska (-168.976944 W - 180 = -11.023056 E)? Or is it another number?

Just to clear up the little debate that kicked off in early December, the R-QBAM is centred right on the 10th meridian east as @Rac98 confirmed. Not slightly to the side as it appears you've assumed but dead on the 10th meridian. Yes, this means a handful of pixels of the Russian far east end up cut off in the western hemisphere of the map, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. It's impossible to thread the needle perfectly, so why bother getting it slightly less imperfect when a round number only a little worse will do just as nicely. It's just easier and more convenient to work with a round number - plenty of mapping services, G.Projector in particular, have trouble importing maps that are centred on an unusually precise meridian. Also, I have reason to believe that the classic QBAM is centred on the 10th meridian too, which I decided to follow as a nod to the original. I won't get into how I know that it's centred on the 10th meridian as it's fiddly, and would take a bit of time and a couple of diagrams to explain, but I have my reasons.

1936, R-QBAM(2).png

Hey everyone - here's an update with some corrections that folks kindly offered up and a few more countries worked on.

I know this is about a month late, but I have plenty of old historical maps lying around on my hard-drive from when I made the 1929 map, so if you need some extra sources I'll be happy to send you them. Aside from that, looks like things are coming along well.

Uh... I have to apologize over my comments about North Greenland.
Apparently, most if not all NASA-based maps are wrong. So are ESA maps. Funnily enough, the most accurate source about polar regions might be Bing Maps satellite imagery.
About how I have reached this conclusion... I basically took a few research stations' (those in North Greenland, Svalbard and Franz Josef Land mainly) coordinates, put them in a file I had with rasters of all three sources, and I have observed that most of the coastal stations were underwater in NASA's map, ESA had issues with Greenland and a few Antarctic islands, and the most accurate one was Bing out of everything I have tested.
I have compared the maps with my eyes as well, most issues appear to arise from incorrect projections of satellite imagery into a map.

Anyway, TLDR; use Bing maps if you want, as NASA is the least accurate among NASA, ESA and Bing.

Yup. When it comes to the polar regions, poor-quality data combined with sometimes incorrectly applied projection distortion leads to some of the messiest conflicting datasets. The best trick I've found is to check as many datasets as possible and compare them to find the better ones. As I've said before, I'm currently using this map, with the ESA 2020 land-cover data overlaid (you can find it by searching for it in the 'add layer' tab, though it can be a bit finicky and sometimes doesn't work that well the first time you try to apply it).

Do you use Q-GIS in doing this and if so, what tutorials would you recommend to someone trying to do a rough 26 metres drop map in Jaredia orientation?.

I used GIS a little bit while working on British Columbia before I discovered a better source, but to be honest, I didn't get very far with it. I was using this tutorial, if it helps.

Do you plan to finish every country's subdivisions after R-QBAM finishes?

Eventually yes. I want to finish the main map first however before moving on to that.

Good luck with the Glacial Mandelbrot Set that is northern Canada
It's going beautiful

Slowly but surely it's coming along. I think I'm about two thirds of the way through Canada by now, so if previous rates of progress hold then I should be done with North America in a few months, as long as nothing goes terribly wrong. It'll be a relief when its done, I'll tell you that.

Oh well, @Tanystropheus42 you beat me on doing the first post of 2024 here by some hours, unfair...
Jokes aside, jeez Canada is indeed annoying, cartographically speaking, but yeah ngl the rivers got me an nasty burnout there, however they are indeed still in production. So twoo things I was hoping to happen try to get a better view of of the region, my main source for rivers, the HydroRIVERS from HydroSHEDS v1 was suppoused to get a new v2 version if significant improvement for artic area data (stuff like actually getting river paths above 60°N right) somewhere in 2023... Well that didn't happened, so that was a bummer, I still can use the v1 supposedly whitout problems until I try get stuff beyond 60°N (in wich case triple checking isn't that fun you know) but I wished that wasn't a thing to still be worried about by now; the other more productive thing I was doing in the meanwhile was messing with QGIS to just do a Robison proj. directly on my source in order to not deal with so much distortion around Canada. In that I actually updated my QGIS version and notice funny thing... A thing that I knew was a thing possible to do before but never actually done it because I'm a noob in that, but now all of sudden, I finally manage to do it, like for real and that was a amazing news. So what I done is this:

Good to hear progress is being made and I completely understand the slow pace. Trying to map Canada is a long, intensive, painful process, so I get that it takes time and that burnout is an ever-present concern. If you're feeling burnt-out, why not do what I've been doing and do something else for a bit when Canada gets too much? I've added a substantial chunk of South America in the meantime, and I'm sure it's not as annoying as Canada can get.

On the OSM maps, they're good, useful resources that you've produced, and I'll be using them as a reference from now on, but bear in mind problems and biases with sources. While OSM is generally one of the better sources out there, as @Altaic notes, it can be pretty badly wrong in places. One of the worst examples is (surprise, surprise) northern Canada, where coverage of a lot of the small-to-mid sized lakes is spotty to non-existent. Just to take one example, this rectangular patch of northern Manitoba has been done at a reasonable level of detail, but everything else around it left blank and undeveloped, making the whole thing look like a Minecraft chunk-error IRL. There are other examples, for example here in Quebec and here and here where the ice sheets of Baffin island are cut-off as if sliced by a knife. Good source, but be aware of its pitfalls.

Good luck with further progress on the rivers patch.

With all that wrapped up, on to the patch.

Patch 106 - Brazil 5;
- Added Sao Paulo
- Added Mato Grosso do Sul
- Added Parana
- Added Santa Catarina
- Added Acre.

1705349652153.png

Last edited:
Yes, what you are seeing is literally the current OSM date here in RQBAM form
Although I think I'm actually just reinventing the wheel on this forum here, the fact is I didn't know how the hell to do this properly before, so I'd say this is a win, but obviously the excess data leaves this base map too polluted to put it to good use, that's why I spent the last week collecting and formatting OSM data shapefiles to have a usable layer of the (mostly) first level administrative divisions of all countries in the world... + a layer with all (? I hope so) aboriginal lands (YES I FINALLY GOT THIS, fiding sources for the Colombian ones was real hindrance, thank you OSM my beloved)
I was playing around with this for the past few days as well, there were no good sources for the Russian Arctic so I ended up learning Q-gis over winter, its slightly harder to do at the resulotion of HEART though and its not compatible with RQ-BAM because it uses 10th meridian instead of 11th so we have to use regional patches, its a really great tool though, if they expand the functionality only a bit more we could practicaly autogenerate BAMs in the future

Better late than never, so finaly, I got British Columbia and Alberta rivers fully done, and a bit of Saskatchewan too:
1706575390265.png

But yeah that take a while indeed...
So only one detail about this for you @Tanystropheus42 , is that previously the Pakowki Lake in southern Alberta was part of the map but got removed, was it because it dried up or that was too tiny? Also just commenting on the OSM stuff, yeah other than the political divisions the other data they have ara pretty much a constant WIP stage, handy but not perfect.
Also @James the AH Fan great job on the Kakhovka Reservoir, you di get the path of Dnipro right although I don't think I would currently be using the coastline color since its width has decreased a lot in this section, I think it will be the same color I use for the Nile, for example

Another day, another massive Canada patch, complete with the obligatory monstrously fractal lakes. We've reached the point where I'm no longer using provincial borders to mark the edges of patches, as Nunavut and the Northwest Territories are too big to do as single units (a lesson I learned the hard way with Quebec). From now on until I've finished the Canadian mainland, I'll be using arbitrary lines of longitude, hence why this current Nunavut patch abruptly cuts off at the 102nd Meridian west.

In addition to more of Nunavut, I'm also including the substantial Quebec overhaul that I wasn't quite able to add alongside Baffin Island in the patch before last. Honestly, Quebec looked a little wrong to me in comparison with the provinces added later, so I decided to go back and re-do it. While the result is, I feel, better, I'm still not entirely happy with it. I felt it wasn't fractal enough, so I added a load of small lakes back in, however I now think I may have gone a little too far the other way, so I may need to do another patch at some point in the future to remove some of the lakes I just added in. I won't do that for a while though, as trying to work with Quebec is a cursed nightmare of Fractal lakes, so I'll be leaving things as-is for the time being.

As an aside, you're lucky to get this now, as when I started this patch I thought it might be a three week job. However, after a fruitful week last week I was able to do it in a little over a fortnight.

Not much more to say really. There's only so many ways you can rephrase "Canadian geography is horrible" before things start getting repetitive after all. Next patch will be a quicker one, and will mark the first new countries finished since Guyana and Suriname back in September, as I add Paraguay and Bolivia to South America. After that, more of Nunavut, in addition to the first chunk of the Northwest Territories, before its back to South America to add Ecuador and Peru.

Oh, one last thing, nice to see progress on the rivers @Rac98 , but I'm pretty sure the missing lake in Alberta is a problem on your end. It appears as far back as the first R-QBAM patch I ever posted, and is still present in both the last patch and the R-QBAM master file. I haven't removed it, so perhaps you erased it yourself at some point and didn't notice.

Patch 107 - Oh, Canada 9 (more Nunavut);
- Added another significant chunk of Nunavut, encompassing all of the Nunavut mainland east of the 102nd Meridian west, in addition to several major islands (most notably Somerset Island, Prince of Wales Island and King William Island) and associated islets.
- Substantially modified Quebec, though I'm still not happy with it and may tweak it again in the future (why do I do this to myself?).

1706677750909.png

Using South America as a rest stop for Canada is good and all, I just hope you don't run into southern Chile while still dealing with the Arctic fractal mess.

Not much to say here. Bolivia and Paraguay added to the map, plus our first chunk of Argentina (Misiones Province) because it made sense to append that panhandle to this update and it wasn't too difficult to add. Feels good to actually finish a country for once, rather than just slowly grind through Canada. Could've definitely done this quicker, but I have to admit I was taking it slow to enjoy the relatively easy job.

One quick note. According to a tonne of sources (to list just some; wikipedia, Encyclopedia Britannica, NASA, the World Food Program and many others), lake Poopo, formerly Bolivia's second largest lake, dried up thanks to climate change and increased agricultrual water usage at some point around 2015. Thus I haven't included it, even though some maps (including the 8K-BAM) still feature it. To give just some examples, google maps still shows it as a lake, openstreetmap shows it as ephemeral, while a check of recent satellite images confirms that, yup, the lakebed is as dry as a bone.

Quick reply before we get to the patch;

Using South America as a rest stop for Canada is good and all, I just hope you don't run into southern Chile while still dealing with the Arctic fractal mess.
Don't forget, there's still Southeast Asia and northern Russia to do, as well

While I don't like revealing the patch schedule more than a few updates ahead in case something comes up and I have to change it, I actually have the schedule worked out for the next five or six months at least. As long as I stick to it hitting Patagonia early shouldn't be an issue (it helps that Argentina is both fairly big and federal, so I'll be doing it in chunks). If something does go wrong, then I was going to pivot to the islands of the eastern Pacific such as Hawaii or French Polynesia as a filler patch if necessary.

With that out of the way...

Patch 108 - Bolivia & Paraguay;
- Added Bolivia
- Added Paraguay
- Added the Argentinian province of Misiones

1706901353090.png