The R-QBAM main thread

Better late than never, new river patch!
Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota rivers are fully done... The Churchill Basin was overwhelming due to the confusion of finding the correct river path in the middle of so many lakes, but I survived. Next step will be finishing Ontario and the Great Lakes Basin I guess.

1707097039292.png

Also @Tanystropheus42 that missing lake in Alberta was error in my end indeed, but thanks for confirming it; now on other stuff, Boliva technically speaking should be portraided the same way Spain is since altrough it's a regional state all of their 1st level of adm. units are autonomous, and another detail that I actully don't know if it's true or not is I've stumple few days back on this video claming that the Colombian Conflict is still ongoing and that, well, Colombia is not 100% de facto united nowdays...

Last edited:
Better late than never, new river patch!
Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota rivers are fully done... The Churchill Basin was overwhelming due to the confusion of finding the correct river path in the middle of so many lakes, but I survived. Next step will be finishing Ontario and the Great Lakes Basin I guess.

View attachment 886126
Also @Tanystropheus42 that missing lake in Alberta was error in my end indeed, but thanks for confirming it; now on other stuff, Boliva technically speaking should be portraided the same way Spain is since altrough it's a regional state all of their 1st level of adm. units are autonomous, and another detail that I actully don't if it's true or not is I've stumple few days back on this video claming that the Colombian Conflict is still ongoing and that, well, Colombia is not 100% de facto united nowdays...
If you're having trouble with rivers and river basins, Databasins might help:

If you're having trouble with rivers and river basins, Databasins might help:
Actually these are literally the sources I use as my basis, I still hope their V2 launches before I start doing the Artic Canada and Russia; anyways the thing is that Canada' lakeland is just is really annoying in general

Actually these are literally the sources I use as my basis, I still hope their V2 launches before I start doing the Artic Canada and Russia; anyways the thing is that Canada' lakeland is just is really annoying in general
There's going to be a V2?

There's going to be a V2?
Yep, it's been in devlopment for quite a while, with the main feature being an better accuracy overall, specialy on polar regions wich the current version has strugles with (beyond 60° North/South, river misspaths are very common). It was supposed to launch last year, but it didn't, here it's their site talking about it:

Oh boy, hello guys! I said the next thing I would do would be Ontario and while that still holds true, kinda, I forgot that this week is Carnival week, and as a good folião (actually bad because I'm not in the middle of the folia) here we have a partial patch of the rivers (only the biggest ones) in South America already made to celebrate
1707686310493.png

I didn't want to miss the opportunity of the date, so yeah, also happy New Year of the Dragon too guys.
Back to Canada now...

EDIT: Of course I would forgot to finish a single river there, River Cauca in Colombia to be more accurate, now is corrected

Last edited:
Yep, it's been in devlopment for quite a while, with the main feature being an better accuracy overall, specialy on polar regions wich the current version has strugles with (beyond 60° North/South, river misspaths are very common). It was supposed to launch last year, but it didn't, here it's their site talking about it:
will it redraw all rivers-waters? also will you redraw the all rqbam rivers-waters when it come out?

will it redraw all rivers-waters?
Yes and no (supposedly at least), it will "redraw everything" in a sense because it will have better resolution and detail, but it wouldn't (supposedly) change the majority river paths already on the data of v1, not say there's no errors or missing rivers outside the polar regions (desert areas for example have some fails), I expect maybe some corrections of minor tributaries if the case but nothing much crazier beside the polar regions.
also will you redraw the all rqbam rivers-waters when it come out?
I hope it don't reach that point, because jeez I don't know what I would even do if that's case; the v1 is been in widely use for more than a decade by now and I assume it wouldn't have such kind of errors of that magnitude on the main part of the map you know, the stuff from the +60° parallels is know since the inception of this database simple beause of lack quality coverage from these areas at the time, so yeah

Another fortnight, another significant chunk of Canada finished. I can't be sure, as the patches I've been doing lately have rather arbitrary cutoffs around islands or along lines of longitude and for the most part don't follow administrative boundaries, making calculating exact percentages difficult, but If I had to guess, I'd say that I'm about 80% done with Canada. Can't wait to get this finished and behind me.

Again, not much to say really. The only thing I feel the need to point out is that projection distortion is warping parts of the Nunavut-NWT border. The diagonals in particular, while straight on an equirectangular projection, instead have a subtle curve in Robinson, a detail I thought I'd mention before anyone says "those lines aren't straight". Oh, and both google maps and the 8-KBAM show the wrong border, which threw me for a loop for a bit before I noticed that every other source agreed.

Next up, Peru and Ecuador, followed by a rather massive patch that will add the remainder of the Canadian mainland, filling in most of the rest of the NWT and adding Yukon. Yeah, I'm aware that it's a big area, but if you look at it there actually aren't that many fiddly lakes, so it should be doable. After that, a return to South America to finish and mildly tweak Brazil, then Greenland 2.

Patch 109 - Oh, Canada 10 (So. Many. Lakes.);
-Added the rest of the mainland portion of Nunavut
- Added the mainland Northwest Territories east of the 117th Meridian West.
- Added more of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago, most notably Victoria Island and Banks Island.

1708296351913.png

And just like that another big chunk of South America is done. Back to the Canada grind I suppose (expect the next patch in another fortnight or so).

Patch 110 - Peru & Ecuador;
- Added Peru
- Added Ecuador

1708467815891.png

A couple of questions:

1) do the ongoing issues in Haiti merit any special markings on this map?
2) given that you are showing the Zapatistas in southern Mexico, is there a reason why the cartels of northern Mexico aren't marked in some way? Is it because they don't claim to be political rebels?

A couple of questions:

1) do the ongoing issues in Haiti merit any special markings on this map?
2) given that you are showing the Zapatistas in southern Mexico, is there a reason why the cartels of northern Mexico aren't marked in some way? Is it because they don't claim to be political rebels?
Well, the conflicts shown in the map are outdated anyways, iirc Tanystropheus said that they will update the conflicts once the physical geography (at least the coastlines) are done.

1936, R-QBAM.png

Europe, 1/1/1936

I meant to finish this a long time ago but I've been a lot busier in my personal left and this map got left by the wayside. A few days ago, I picked it back up and manged to get most of the outstanding subdivisions finished. As I realized in the last update, I had to redo German internals to reflect the Gleischaltung and the imposition of Reichsgau borders for administration over the old Weimar provinces. The Saarland is a bit of an odd spot because the Rhineland was still occupied, but Germany had already held the plebiscite and successfully began reincorporating the territory. It was still nominally autonomous under a Gauleiter until mid 1936 though, so I have represented it as an unoccupied but autonomous territory of the Reich. Outstanding countries/regions like the Balkans, Scandinavia, Turkey, and Iceland were improved and I tried my best to retool the USSR. I am still unsatisfied with it, especially the provincial borders around Moscow. I plan on working on an overhaul at some point down the road and doing the entire country showing a number of years, but that will take a while and I figure it is better to release what I have so far now rather than keep everyone waiting. Enjoy, and please let me know if I've made any disastrous mistakes!

Also someone suggested last time that I include the Lithuanian claim on Poland. I personally don't like putting territorial claims on maps since I focus on getting administrative divisions represented, and with both it tends to get too cluttered. I am happy to make a patch to include as an inset though if folks would like that.

Last edited:
The Saarland is a bit of an odd spot because the Rhineland was still occupied, but Germany had already held the plebiscite and successfully began reincorporating the territory. It was still nominally autonomous under a Gauleiter until mid 1936 though, so I have represented it as an unoccupied but autonomous territory of the Reich
As far as I'm aware, the Rhineland wasn't occupied by any foreign power by 1936, it was just demilitarized, with the last French soldier having left in 1930. In any case, the Treaty of Versailles prohibited Germany from militarizing the entirety of the left bank of the Rhine (along with a strip of land to the right bank), and the Saarland would fall within the entirety of the left bank.

As far as I'm aware, the Rhineland wasn't occupied by any foreign power by 1936, it was just demilitarized, with the last French soldier having left in 1930. In any case, the Treaty of Versailles prohibited Germany from militarizing the entirety of the left bank of the Rhine (along with a strip of land to the right bank), and the Saarland would fall within the entirety of the left bank.
Thanks for the correction - I've fixed the Saarland territory and changed the color of the demilitarized zone to reflect a general red "do-not-cross" line rather than a light French blue similar to an occupation.

Also someone suggested last time that I include the Lithuanian claim on Poland. I personally don't like putting territorial claims on maps since I focus on getting administrative divisions represented, and with both it tends to get too cluttered. I am happy to make a patch to include as an inset though if folks would like that.

That was me, I certainly would be happy with a patch.