The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklyn99

Banned
Go right ahead if you want.
I myself don't have a reddit account (outside certain subreddits, my opinion of the site itself is quite negative, largely due to post-2016 politics making the place stinking like piss), I was just suggesting for anyone of this site who might have an account of their own. Thanks for your permission, regardless.

I started a Novosibirsk game, but after beating Tomsk the subsequent events were too much for me to keep going. A state that has no idealism or soul at all is just...ugh. Even an evil state like the Aryan Brotherhood at least has something underpinning it other than raw pragmatic survival. It doesn't help that I actually really like Tomsk and consider them to be one of my favorite Russian unifiers. Novosibirsk is just too real given that it's basically modern Russian Federation with slightly less corruption.

I started a Novosibirsk game, but after beating Tomsk the subsequent events were too much for me to keep going. A state that has no idealism or soul at all is just...ugh. Even an evil state like the Aryan Brotherhood at least has something underpinning it other than raw pragmatic survival. It doesn't help that I actually really like Tomsk and consider them to be one of my favorite Russian unifiers. Novosibirsk is just too real given that it's basically modern Russian Federation with slightly less corruption.
That might be precisely why they are my favorite now. Over the past year and a half or so I have developed a seething hatred of explicitly wish fulfilment fiction, due to events unrelated to hoi4, and having a faction that represents the exact opposite of that in every way possible without going into comically evil territory was like music to my ears. Plus they have the aesthetic, which is always important.
That being said I found it hard to play some of the other paths like Shafarevich for the same sort of "way too real" reason, so I do understand your dislike.

Tbh I think almost all modern states are like Novosibirsk, no? Most of the people are irreligious, not patriotic, economic prosperity is gone too so we just live one day after another without caring about ideals.

brooklyn99

Banned

For the all that people gloom on how Authdem Novosibirsk is Doomer country, where dreams go to die. This compass that was revealed before mod release, concerning the possible futures, seems to suggest otherwise. "Siberian anachronistic Putinism", is actually shown to be on the GOOD side of Russias future (interestingly enough, so is Despot SBA). That can obviously be debated, but it looks like the devs at least intended for Authdem Novo to be much more nuanced than a black hole of "Late Stage Capitalism". I suppose some ideological blinders do make many people blind to the positive sides of that path while considerably exaggerating the negatives (and I'll admit that would apply to me for some other warlords).

For the all that people gloom on how Authdem Novosibirsk is Doomer country, where dreams go to die. This compass that was revealed before mod release, concerning the possible futures, seems to suggest otherwise. "Siberian anachronistic Putinism", is actually shown to be on the GOOD side of Russias future (interestingly enough, so is Despot SBA). That can obviously be debated, but it looks like the devs at least intended for Authdem Novo to be much more nuanced than a black hole of "Late Stage Capitalism". I suppose some ideological blinders do make many people blind to the positive sides of that path while considerably exaggerating the negatives (and I'll admit that would apply to me for some other warlords).
Well, "good" in the context of TNO can mean a lot of things, especially considering how horrifically bad things can get. Is Novosibirsk one of the better Russian warlords, when considering the fact that the Komi Right, Harbin Three, and Aryan Brotherhood exist? States that don't only have no ideological basis but are explicitly pushing an ideology that does harm? Undoubtedly.

I also find it interesting that Despotist SBA is considered a "good end" for Russia.

So, here's another little story about interactions between Russian factions. I hope I've done better than the previous one. Please provide constructive criticism, it is all welcome by me!

Business is Business

Mitchell Livingston Werbell III had over the years gained many titles to write on his resume. Chief among them was mercenary, but just as important as that title was the one of businessman. Mercenaries were like businessmen, he mused; there was a demand for soldiers, and the supply of mercenaries were willing to fulfill that demand. The mercenary business was a business like no other, and it was in his eyes one of the ways to practice capitalism in its purest form. So it was a pleasure to find out that the capitalist way was capable of being naturally practiced in the ruins of a communist wasteland. It was when they were marching to take back the west when the opportunity came.

Guns. If there was a way to Werbell's heart other than money, it was guns. As his companions and protectors during his time in the OSS and his mercenary work, they were a soldiers best friend. So when it was established that the so called "Ural Republic" was made and kept afloat by the manufacturing and sale of guns, he saw a potential investment. Which lead him to where he was currently, sitting in the back of a car in a convoy heading towards an agreed meeting point, one of the small border forts on the edges of both their established states. Soon the car stopped, the destination reached. Opening the door, he grabbed a fur ushanka, a replacement for his usual preferred beret, but essential for the freezing Russian climate. On the fur ushanka was a golden insignia of a smoking skull, the USS's own totenkopf. Putting it on, he walked towards the diarchs of the merchant republic, taking care to size them up.

Both were wearing similar fur coats and hats, with an insignia of a rifle prominent on the center of their ushankas. They had a neutral expression on their faces, no doubt they were analyzing him too. He could tell the look on their faces, these were businessmen alright. He could work with this. Reaching out for a handshake, he firmly shook both their outstretched ones while speaking a greeting to them, along with a polite question about how business was going. One of them laughed, and spoke some Russian in a joking tone. The translator turned to Werbell and said, "He says, it is as you Americans say, business is booming." Werbell took a moment to process the joke before laughing. With the mood in the air improved, he offered some fine American cigars to his acquaintances. Grinning at this, both of them accepted the gift as both parties made their way towards the little fort where official negotiations would be made.

So that was the story, what did you guys think? IMHO Zlatoust and/or the Ural Republic would be the most willing to accept annexation by the USS. The TV Tropes page says that Yevgeny Dragunov's main goals are to expand his industry and increase his share in the Post-Soviet arms market. Pretty humble goals for a warlord. In my opinion, a deal could be made that probably could be accepted by both parties where in exchange for annexation Dragunov could become a corporation of prominence or something. As said before, constructive criticism is actively welcomed by me!

Last edited:

It's the Dolores Umbridge effect at work. Most people will always find that which is relatable to be more easily hated then the unfamiliar, even when the latter is objectively waaaay worse. It is why people find actually not that bad in the grand scheme of things novosibirsk to be more depressing then the AB, why people hated dolores umbridge much more then voldemort in harry potter, etc.

brooklyn99

Banned
Well, "good" in the context of TNO can mean a lot of things, especially considering how horrifically bad things can get. Is Novosibirsk one of the better Russian warlords, when considering the fact that the Komi Right, Harbin Three, and Aryan Brotherhood exist? States that don't only have no ideological basis but are explicitly pushing an ideology that does harm? Undoubtedly.

I also find it interesting that Despotist SBA is considered a "good end" for Russia.
Perhaps, but in the Harbin Three's case, the equation changes heavily if Mikhail II and Petlin were in charge. If the only positive things to say about Authdem Novo is that they aren't as bad as some other, then surely it would mean they ought to take Bunyachenko's Samara (Military-Industrial Chaebols) spot on the temperate bad side? The way I see it, Authdem Novo and Despot SBA are at their spots because they are meant to be "as flawed as they can get but not enough to be considered bad", whereas Bunyachenko and Post-Zhukov Akhromeyev- USSR are placed as they are since they're meant to be "tame yet not enough to not be bad".

So, here's another little story about interactions between Russian factions. I hope I've done better than the previous one. Please provide constructive criticism, it is all welcome by me!

Business is Business
You should make this a full short story. This was really interesting, and I love WerBell. It felt like the beginning of a story as much as it did a stand-alone vignette.

I would say Sverdlovsk would also be high up as they have an elite officer corps combined with a rational economic policy.
I am yet to have played them so far so I can't comment but from what I read they seem pretty good too.

I just did a run with a conservative Vyatka this afternoon, economically they're pretty good too but they strike me as more likely to orient themselves towards developing light industries rather than going head-on into heavy industry and a military-industrial complex.
However, their military is nothing to sneer at either and they're the only Russian unifier to have 5 tech teams once united.
Overall I think that they could do a decent job but they don't strike me as able to pull off the kind of things that some other unifiers could do economically. Unification wars for western unifiers are also bound to be bloodier and costlier too with less of an opportunity to build a solid base.
However in game I managed to unify Western Russia ANF Siberia by end 1967 as Omsk went to war over the Urals and had a really poor military compared to mine.
A niche scenario like this could actually be a fair bit of a boost if it happens as one has more time to build the combined resource base of the west.

To be fair I think that Novosibirsk attitude here does deserve more consideration than it is often given credit.
By focusing on pragmatism, building-up a strong economy, strong foundations and strong institutions. It is better able to reunify Russia and improve the people's lot long-term. Where it eventually falls of the rails though is when it becomes too focused on preserving the system for the sake of and is unable to reform if Pokryshkin stays in power in the 1970s. Then the similarities with OTL Putin's Russia will be obvious and TNO2 could see this TTL Russian Federation reconquering Moscow but then losing the peace as it wastes its oil and nickel revenues in the same vein as most other countries historically did and can't reconstruct the former lands of Moskowien.
This is why in my ratings I explicitely rated Shukshin Novosibirsk as being far more likely to be successful long-term and economically and militarily stronger too.

In a nutshell, if TNO Russia has to have any hope to becoming a superpower once-again, it must both win the war with Germany and reconquers as much territory as possible AND win the peace by phoexing itself and quickly rebuilding whatever territories it conquers.

I'll admit that this is my mindset at work too, but I've grown increasingly skeptical of idealistic politicians over the years that often fail to see the reality behind their ideals and their possible consequences. Here in the UK, Brexit is a quintessential example of a very idealistic project that ended up going badly wrong and creating way more harm than was ever anticipated and whose consequences will ripple through over years if not decades. By comparison, the status quo was certainly boring, certainly somewhat elitist and "more of the same". However as a saying says "the road to hell is paved with the best of intentions".
Ultimately idealism means nothing if a country's economy can't put bread on the table and bullets in its soldiers guns ...

That might be precisely why they are my favorite now. Over the past year and a half or so I have developed a seething hatred of explicitly wish fulfilment fiction, due to events unrelated to hoi4, and having a faction that represents the exact opposite of that in every way possible without going into comically evil territory was like music to my ears. Plus they have the aesthetic, which is always important.
That being said I found it hard to play some of the other paths like Shafarevich for the same sort of "way too real" reason, so I do understand your dislike.
I'm not even into wish fulfillment per se--as I posted a little bit earlier, I found Yagoda and Zhdanov quite intriguing to play as even though they are objectively pretty terrible places that I would not like to win unless the alternative was the Aryan Brotherhood or something. But those states stand for something, or at least their leaders are trying to accomplish something more than just surviving to the next day and crushing the dreams of everyone in their country.

And you should get that checked out. "Seething hatred of wish fulfillment" isn't really healthy.

Tbh I think almost all modern states are like Novosibirsk, no? Most of the people are irreligious, not patriotic, economic prosperity is gone too so we just live one day after another without caring about ideals.
No, not really. Irreligion and lack of patriotism does not mean that people do not have ideals, it just means that they don't have religious or patriotic ideas. When you see things like the BLM protests or the Capitol insurrection, whatever you think about them they clearly are the result of ideals that people have, not ruthless unideological pragmatism that is purely focused on the bottom line.

"Lack of economic prosperity" also very much depends on who you are. I'm doing just fine, for instance. On the macro level there are problems, but it's not like everyone is enslaved to work twelve-hour days for a penny an hour while CEOs make billions of dollars, either.

I didn't say that Novosibirsk was bad, exactly. There are way worse outcomes for Russia. But it's not really a good outcome, either. It's slightly better than Bunyachenko because there's still a certain amount of democracy (particularly if you go the democratic path, obviously) and the possibility of leveraging that to further reform in the future, which is why it's on the "good" side; but it's really not that much better, which is why it's right next to him.

Mostly my complaint was that it's depressing and not really fun to play as. Note that other factions can be interesting to play as or fun to play as despite being objectively bad, so this is distinct from saying that Novosibirsk is bad.

To be fair I think that Novosibirsk attitude here does deserve more consideration than it is often given credit.
By focusing on pragmatism, building-up a strong economy, strong foundations and strong institutions. It is better able to reunify Russia and improve the people's lot long-term. Where it eventually falls of the rails though is when it becomes too focused on preserving the system for the sake of and is unable to reform if Pokryshkin stays in power in the 1970s. Then the similarities with OTL Putin's Russia will be obvious and TNO2 could see this TTL Russian Federation reconquering Moscow but then losing the peace as it wastes its oil and nickel revenues in the same vein as most other countries historically did and can't reconstruct the former lands of Moskowien.
This is why in my ratings I explicitely rated Shukshin Novosibirsk as being far more likely to be successful long-term and economically and militarily stronger too.
You can make that argument, sure, but in-game it's just wrong. There are plenty of Russian factions who can build strong economies, strong institutions (much stronger institutions, in fact, than a corporate-dominated authoritarian state with only the façade of democracy; those are not noted for their long-term healthiness), and strong foundations in terms of the social capital of the state. Kosygin or Stalina Komi, pretty much any of the Tomsk salons (they all have their own interesting approaches to the problem), Yagoda's Soviet Union (although it has decided brittleness due to the dominance of the security institutions as well, but China shows that this is not necessarily fatal). Novosibirsk is not really notably stronger than any of those.

It's also worth pointing out that Novosibirsk originated. as a rebellion against Tomsk, which already had a pragmatic political party (well, salon) focused on precisely building up a strong economy, strong foundations, and strong institutions: the Bastillards. Given that, it's hard to defend the existence of Novosibirsk on objective grounds--if they were really so concerned that it was too idealistic, they should have just joined the Bastillards.

I'll admit that this is my mindset at work too, but I've grown increasingly skeptical of idealistic politicians over the years that often fail to see the reality behind their ideals and their possible consequences. Here in the UK, Brexit is a quintessential example of a very idealistic project that ended up going badly wrong and creating way more harm than was ever anticipated and whose consequences will ripple through over years if not decades. By comparison, the status quo was certainly boring, certainly somewhat elitist and "more of the same". However as a saying says "the road to hell is paved with the best of intentions".
The status quo, in this case, was also an idealistic project, in fact an even more idealistic project because it was built around the (long-term) hope of unifying Europe into a federal state whereas Brexit was built around rejecting that and hunkering down as a quasi-hermit state. It's not Tomsk defeating Novosibirsk, it's more like Krasnorysk beating Tomsk. Yes, in many ways it's a worse state, but not because it's more or less idealistic.

My preference, in any case, is for pragmatic idealism. That is, political leadership that knows where they want to steer the ship (instead of purely focusing on not grounding it), but pays attention to the day-to-day troubles that can crop up and isn't averse to changing course or adopting other policies if they seem to overall further the ends or address significant issues. The best example of this I've come across so far in the mod is in the Iberian Union after it successfully democratizes, actually, if the Liberal Democrats win. They have to avoid being couped by the military while retaining political support, which means that they want to pursue on the one hand a policy of fulfilling their electoral promises and gradually defanging the military, while on the other hand not angering the military too much by going 100% on all of their desires. That's better than pure idealism or pragmatism (what are you even being pragmatic for if you don't have any ideals), and it's also more interesting to play as because you have to make actual tradeoffs while playing.

No, not really. Irreligion and lack of patriotism does not mean that people do not have ideals, it just means that they don't have religious or patriotic ideas. When you see things like the BLM protests or the Capitol insurrection, whatever you think about them they clearly are the result of ideals that people have, not ruthless unideological pragmatism that is purely focused on the bottom line.

"Lack of economic prosperity" also very much depends on who you are. I'm doing just fine, for instance. On the macro level there are problems, but it's not like everyone is enslaved to work twelve-hour days for a penny an hour while CEOs make billions of dollars, either
Well, I'm in Brazil and we don't have protests large as that... Brazil never really had a large political mobilization, the lsrges protest we had were the three million against films back in 2016, on s country with 210 million people and most of the people protesting being from the top 10%.

What I see is that nobody really cares about anything other than their current individual needs, we haven't seen prosperity since 1985 and so I'm pretty sure I'm living on a Novosibirsk.

I'm not even into wish fulfillment per se--as I posted a little bit earlier, I found Yagoda and Zhdanov quite intriguing to play as even though they are objectively pretty terrible places that I would not like to win unless the alternative was the Aryan Brotherhood or something. But those states stand for something, or at least their leaders are trying to accomplish something more than just surviving to the next day and crushing the dreams of everyone in their country.

And you should get that checked out. "Seething hatred of wish fulfillment" isn't really healthy.
That may have been too strong a phrase on my part, for dramatic effect. General dislike is more accurate.

But, I don't know, I found that whole "our only goal is our own perpetuation" thing quite interesting actually, especially since overall they weren't really behaving nearly as badly as many of the other warlords. The juxtaposition was intriguing.

Thinking about making compilation of all nation tech tree. What are all the nation that have unique tech tree so I know where to look?

So it turns out that the devs for TNO Redux have been massive shitheads and they are officially banned from the main TNO sub. More details here.
The insanity, childishness and generally stupidity of the reddit TNO community is something that I just can't understand.
What's the point of all the stupid memes about some characters and also some developers at times. It's beyond weird ...

I finished the Iberia game I mentioned yesterday this morning. Overall things went well--I was able to steer a reformist course that led to the country fully democratizing and avoiding a military coup that would undo it. Well, when I say "avoid" I mean "it was attempted but it went over like 23-F, albeit because of loyalist military units instead of the King". Joined the OFN as a full member, too, although I was a little disappointed Italy (which had also democratized) hadn't. I had a very strong civilian industrial base and rapid economic growth by the end of the game, so things were looking bright for Iberia. Additionally, I intervened successfully in South Africa (the game framed it as a loss, but I managed to force a status quo peace, which is better than the OFN usually does) and Algeria, twice. So Iberia was definitely someone to contend with.

Interesting stuff elsewhere in the world included AuthSoc Sablin winning in Russia (due to my interference via console, because it turned out as Aryan Brotherhood, "Omsk"*, Absolutist Keremovo, and Sablin; out of those, even AuthSoc Sablin seems like the best, even if you could make an argument for Keremovo), Tudeh winning in Iran (also because of my interference, although not directly; I crippled Reza Pahlavi's regency and then meddled with the Islamic Republic, but didn't intervene to favor the socialists, democrats, or constitutional monarchs against each other), and Speer winning in Germany (without my help). The British Isles were also overcome by a series of military coups in England (after HMMLR lost) and Scotland (just a bit after the latter), which made them kind of boring. The U.S. went Bennett->McNamara, and the Arab nationalists won big time in Arabia, overcoming every Arab country and winning in Palestine, too (obviously well before the oil crisis), so that the United Arab Republic really did unite pretty much all Arabs. Kishi took power in Japan, as he usually does, but somehow this didn't cripple Japan's economic growth, which remained ludicrously high given their pre-existing per-capita wealth and the political instability afflicting them (as high as mine, in fact).

* Just like last time Omsk ground itself down fighting Zlatoust and never actually finished unifying the region

Overall, I would nominate Iberia as one of the better countries in the mod. There's plenty of interesting stuff to do and interesting mechanics to make use of, and many different paths to explore even if you discount those ending in the Iberian Wars. It was also nice that I never really found myself having a shortage of PP, unlike the United States or Russian warlords. Instead, I frequently found myself having a shortage of money to upgrade the Gibraltar Dam, so that I only ended up finishing it in 1969. They're also one of the few countries that can actually remove the oil crisis spirit at this stage of the game.

Next up I was thinking of revisiting Bennett's U.S. after seeing them in this game, to see how well you can do if you really focus on "the economy, stupid," or maybe a game as Speer/Gang of Four (which I have not done yet) or Tyumen. Or perhaps revisiting Novosibirsk.

Thinking about making compilation of all nation tech tree. What are all the nation that have unique tech tree so I know where to look?
What do you meant by "unique tech tree"? Do you mean having unique icons and names for tech, for example the way that the U.S. 1960 jet fighter is the F-110 while the Russian one is the MiG-21? Do you mean having unique technologies, flat out, the way that Zhdanov can get laser SPAA? Or do you mean having different techs than other countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.