A Blunted Sickle - Thread II

This seems a bit off. I could understand if Stalin, and his famous fear of gambles, would be wary of charging into Poland amidst an Entente-backed uprising but if they’ve crippled themselves to the extent they can’t advance against a skeleton force (if that) then why did they sell so many ZIS trucks to the Germans in the first place?

Sounds like someone conveniently "forgot" that they sold Germany all the trucks in their motor pool...

Well, I sat down and did some math on this... the Soviets sold the Germans a hundred thousand trucks. The Red Army's OTL motor pool on June 22nd 1941 constituted 272,605 vehicles. During the same year, the Soviets manufactured 124,200 vehicles, down from 145,400 in 1940. However, this downturn obviously has a lot to do with the disruption imposed on the Soviets industry by Barbarossa: the number of cars manufactured in the first half of the year was 78,100 as opposed to the 46,100 manufactured between June and December. Accounting for that, the IATL production of Soviet trucks would be around 156,200... a increase over the 1940 figure by about 10,800 vehicles. This estimate is without factoring in any possible potential benefits from basically extorting the Germans out of a whole bunch of automotive manufacturing machine tools, since we don't know for sure how that worked out. However it's worth remembering that not all of this would go to the Red Army: a hefty chunk would be put into the economy so as to support the continued growth of Soviet industry. These vehicles would still be available to be mobilized for the Red Army, and the Soviets did mobilize 221,500 vehicles from the civilian economy OTL as per pre-war mobilization plans so likely all the domestic production for 1941 will be available for that, but the process of mobilizing those vehicles from the civilian economy historically took about two to three months.

So, assuming the Red Army was expecting serious regular resistance, then the state of their motor park is at the moment something of a problem for them. And while the skeleton German forces and the Polish irregulars aren't in much of a state to give any serious impediment to westward Red Army movement, the approaching Anglo-French are and the Soviets can't discount the possibility they might do so. So unless the Soviets decide to throw caution to the wind (which would be quite out of character for Stalin), mobilizing up the truck park is a safer bet then trying to pell-mell it right now.

31st December 1941

The German First, Second, Sixth, Ninth and Sixteenth Armies surrender to the French. This leaves the largest remaining German army as the 3rd, based in East Prussia and mostly consisting of men otherwise too unfit for military service.

Fortunately for the 3rd it seems they can't be moved to Berlin in time.

The British and French governments formally repudiate the Munich Agreement, and recognise Osuský as the leader of the Czechoslovak Republic. The Beneš government is not pleased by this development.[

So does that mean members from the Benes government will be forced to join the Osuský government?

The first trainload of petrol arrives in Lüneburg, and distribution immediately starts to the forward-most mechanised units. Auchinleck orders his men to prepare to cross the Elbe in the morning and conduct a rapid advance towards the Baltic coast between Lübeck and Wismar.

Where Himmler tried to 'negotiate' a peace in 45 right? As I remember in Downfall Hitler reading a report shat Himmler was there, or a place that sounds similar.

Anyway I take it that the British army will be moving again soon.

Meanwhile, the combined efforts of a pair of RE railway construction companies and one operating company have managed to reopen the railway line between Hamburg and Hannover to limited traffic, as well as a single track from Hannover to Brunswick. In support of this, RAF Transport Command fly in over 50 tonnes of coal to the former Luftwaffe airfield at Hannover-Langenhagen, served by a branch off the railway line into Hannover. More is promised in subsequent days as more aircraft are diverted to the role.

The Royall Engineers to have a good reputation for a reason.

Very firm Italian requests to run a over 20 trains between Kikinda and Gorica in the next few days are politely turned down by Yugoslav State Railways, citing problems with a shortage of coal and the wrong kind of snow on the tracks. JDŽ are optimistic that they might be able to run the first train after Orthodox Christmas, but expect to only have the capacity to run one train per day after that.

I take it the Yugoslavs are getting more confident with the end of the war in sight?

Stalin is informed that due to damage inflicted to the Red Army's motor transport fleet by “Saboteurs and Wreckers”, the Red Army's attack on Germany cannot be brought forward before the end of February. This answer is not accepted.

RIP the messenger.

Last edited:
Hmm. Baltic Coast. nothing can land there via the Sound from the Entente until the Germans have been driven out of Denmark. So this leaves three choices
Actually, given where the other armies are those guys need to advance along the Baltic coast. This is really just tidying up their flanks and getting in position for this.

So where do the Italians want to go, Romania, Hungary or Poland?
Germany. Most of their available forces have been in Romania, keeping an eye on the Soviets however...

By the end of February, the Entente will have defenses built right up to the Soviet Border. If Stalin can't go until the end of February, he can't go at all.
Which is why he didn’t accept the answer...

This seems a bit off. I could understand if Stalin, and his famous fear of gambles, would be wary of charging into Poland amidst an Entente-backed uprising but if they’ve crippled themselves to the extent they can’t advance against a skeleton force (if that) then why did they sell so many ZIS trucks to the Germans in the first place?
This is an example of Soviet planning not being very nimble - it isn't accounting for the uprising or the collapse of the Germans in the west.
As for selling the trucks to the Germans, the question asked was “will the Soviet Union be in danger if we sell these”. Self-evidently the Germans are not a danger, and the entente are viewed as an unfriendly neutral for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like someone conveniently "forgot" that they sold Germany all the trucks in their motor pool...
Not a chance. That was someone else’s decision, for which STAVKA can’t be blamed. Classic slopey shoulders syndrome...

The Sixth Army surrendered too? I wasn’t expecting that at this time as they were east of the Rhine and not under particularly hard pressure from the French.
Uh... I’m going to have to check that. The intent was the pocketed armies west of the Rhine surrendering, with that being the vast majority of German forces in the field. However I currently have a weaselly three-year-old asleep on me and am leaving for my sister’s wedding shortly, so probably can’t check until Monday...

That's an innocuous way of putting it.
Stalin wasn’t only a bloodstained thug...

So unless the Soviets decide to throw caution to the wind (which would be quite out of character for Stalin), mobilizing up the truck park is a safer bet then trying to pell-mell it right now.
It’s also worth noting that the plan presented was predicated on a number of assumptions no longer true. Liberating the whole of Poland for instance isn’t practical given that other people have done it first...

RIP the messenger.
Not yet - Stalin was never that bad. Things may get worse next time if they don’t come up with a better answer however...

Wow, is there anything between Berlin and the Allies at this point?
A lot of empty petrol tanks. For the next day or two...

Where is that estate?
Craggy Island.

A lot of empty petrol tanks. For the next day or two...

The majority ironically enough probably filled using captured german Jerrycans at this point. If the flimsies are still in use... Well then 30% of the fuel is probably gone before even getting in the fuel tanks.

Last edited:
I think the implication is less that Stalin orders the charge no matter what and more "it's really tragic that you drew the short straw, enjoy Siberia, I'll send your family along in a few days."

31st December 1941
The British and French governments formally repudiate the Munich Agreement, and recognise Osuský as the leader of the Czechoslovak Republic. The Beneš government is not pleased by this development.
I guess Osusky will offer some of them
place in new Czechoslovak Government in order to “unite” home and foreign resistance.

So Munich agreement is finally written off, I guess Polish gains from 1938 as well - Polish gains in Slovakia were retaken by “Czechoslovak government in hiding” in September 1939, while Tesin by Osusky’s government in December 1941.

Remains question of Vienna award. Hungary now co belligerent in war against Nazis has strong diplomatic leverage. On other side, Czechoslovakia as 1st victim of Nazis too. I guess Czechoslovakia will request back territory occupied by Hungary in March war 1939. No Hungarian majority or even minority there. Plebiscite will be in order on other territories along the border, very likely followed by population exchanges.

Ruthenia on other side is very likely screwed. Could Hungarians at least be pressed for some form of cultural autonomy for Ruthenians?

I wonder if the surrender of 4 (or 5?) armies will have the same effect as Lee’s surrender at Appomattox, with the remaining German troops spontaneously surrendering without formal direction from higher commands. Who would want to die for a war that is now clearly lost?

Could ask the same question in @. The war clearly being lost did not stop the Germans from fighting right up until the last.
Somewhat more so against the Soviets than the West, I believe. I'm guessing the situation iTTL is closer to the West iOTL. The Average British/French soldier is just as likely if not more to accept a surrender than the Western Allies in OTL's WWII.

Could ask the same question in @. The war clearly being lost did not stop the Germans from fighting right up until the last.
Eh, in some sense they already stopped. The only thing that is left is platoons in villages taking some shots before they surrender, or not. And this is a good argument for not.

Germans in say East Prussia have a dilemma, they cannot just surrender, oaths etc, but they would rather be occupied by the Entente than the Poles/Soviets. So I'd see them being passive and hoping Berlin throws the towel in.

I was thinking of the shock value of the surrender of the main field force on home territory, which did not occur in the OTL.

Probably not much more then some old men and boys lead by staff officers and training cadre. Probably with the occasional rifle too.

It's worth bearing in mind that, given this is 1941 and not '45, that these are not the Volkssturm. With four years' less immersion in Nazi propaganda and less toughening by wartime conditions, I think we can expect less fanaticism, less willingness to die for the Fuhrer and the Fatherland.

While awaiting ngf's excellent maps, here's a map of the wider European area (using some of the other good base maps we have from the site) including Iceland and the Faroes* and all of Hungary (showing the border between Hungary and Romania as pdf27 seemed to describe it). The Moldavian SSR and Ukrainian SSR internal borders are inaccurate in the region of the former Moldavian ASSR:

Blunted Sickle base map Dec 31 1941 fixed europe only.png

*occupied by the UK, but as the war is likely to be over long before 1944 they will be returned to the status quo ante bellum most likely as the British during the war were very much against territorial changes and in OTL (they nixed an attempted Faroese move to independence and likely would have disapproved of the Icelandic referendum on ending the personal union with Denmark and becoming a republic if they were still in Iceland in 1944 in OTL). Iceland probably still goes on to become a republic in 1944 ITTL anyway though.