Another possibility shown here. Greece is not updated for this TL.
90b1Yf7.png

This map portrays MAXIMUM REPUBLICANISM and is not reflective of what I think will actually happen in this TL.

The areas with slashes through them are uncertain areas. I believe that even with successful Hungarian and German revolutions, that Prussia and Austria could survive. Croatia is an area likely to be occupied by the Hungarians, but I don't know enough about the area in the period to know what would happen. Poland is shown with Galicia, as I think it would be acquired by either Russia or Poland in the event of a successful Hungarian revolt.

Of course, Russia could intervene on the side of both Prussia and Austria against the Revolutionaries and it would result in a German border much like the previous map I posted.

Another possibility shown here. Greece is not updated for this TL.
90b1Yf7.png

This map portrays MAXIMUM REPUBLICANISM and is not reflective of what I think will actually happen in this TL.

The areas with slashes through them are uncertain areas. I believe that even with successful Hungarian and German revolutions, that Prussia and Austria could survive. Croatia is an area likely to be occupied by the Hungarians, but I don't know enough about the area in the period to know what would happen. Poland is shown with Galicia, as I think it would be acquired by either Russia or Poland in the event of a successful Hungarian revolt.

Of course, Russia could intervene on the side of both Prussia and Austria against the Revolutionaries and it would result in a German border much like the previous map I posted.

In this scenario I would think Poland would be able to snag Poznań too

While I doubt that this will spiral out of control into a World War (though, wouldn't THAT be something!) this could end up being a mess.

I suspect that the Prussians win an unexpected victory of two which undermines public supposed for the French Monarchy and leads to a revolution. Napoleon II arrives at the opportune time, brings peace to Frane and finds a face saving way to bring an end to the Second Belgian Republic (possibly with the Neatherland, France and Prussia partitioning the failed state).

After all, if Revolution hits France, wr know it's going to spread and everyone is going to have more pressibg matters to deal with

Brilliant! Belgium was always a massive potential flashpoint for a huge European war (see OTL) and perhaps it’s surprising that such an early explosion hasn’t been done before. France and Prussia are far more balanced than in 1870, there’s the question of what the Austrians are going to do- we are talking about the formerly Austrian Netherlands, after all- and can the British stay out of a war that’s literally just over the thin bit of the Channel? They believe in a balance of power, but no more so than in this very location. It’ll be fascinating to see what happens.

While I doubt that this will spiral out of control into a World War (though, wouldn't THAT be something!) this could end up being a mess.

I suspect that the Prussians win an unexpected victory of two which undermines public supposed for the French Monarchy and leads to a revolution. Napoleon II arrives at the opportune time, brings peace to Frane and finds a face saving way to bring an end to the Second Belgian Republic (possibly with the Neatherland, France and Prussia partitioning the failed state).

After all, if Revolution hits France, wr know it's going to spread and everyone is going to have more pressibg matters to deal with

The Prussian army of the time was uhm less than stellar in 1848. And they don't have the massive numerical superiority of 1870. That's before even counting the coming revolutions and defending fellow French speakers is liable to be more popular than a dynastic war for Dutch claims in Belgium.

The Prussian army of the time was uhm less than stellar in 1848. And they don't have the massive numerical superiority of 1870. That's before even counting the coming revolutions and defending fellow French speakers is liable to be more popular than a dynastic war for Dutch claims in Belgium.
Except for the Dutch this is more than just a Dynastic war. They've entered the war in defense of their own fellow Dutchmen and will likely be just as willing to fight as the French soldiers. Of course the French have truly massive numerical superiority but hopefully with other issues that will likely be plaguing France at this time the Prussian military won't have to be the juggernaut that we know it for today, and just has to be competent to make up for the numerical disparity. Of course it is just as likely that Prussia has other things suddenly crop up that they have to run home to deal with. The Austrians are nothing to sneeze at after all.

I'd really just like to see a united Low Countries, as that might create a significant new power both on the Continent and on the colonial side of things. Divided they are speed bumps in the wars between the Great Powers but with their resources combined they could become much harder to just push around. With a few decades and some good leadership to get everyone working together of course!

More likely though the best the Dutch can hope for is for the Dutch regions to be retaken and the rest annexed by another power, likely France.

Except for the Dutch this is more than just a Dynastic war. They've entered the war in defense of their own fellow Dutchmen and will likely be just as willing to fight as the French soldiers. Of course the French have truly massive numerical superiority but hopefully with other issues that will likely be plaguing France at this time the Prussian military won't have to be the juggernaut that we know it for today, and just has to be competent to make up for the numerical disparity. Of course it is just as likely that Prussia has other things suddenly crop up that they have to run home to deal with. The Austrians are nothing to sneeze at after all.

I'd really just like to see a united Low Countries, as that might create a significant new power both on the Continent and on the colonial side of things. Divided they are speed bumps in the wars between the Great Powers but with their resources combined they could become much harder to just push around. With a few decades and some good leadership to get everyone working together of course!

More likely though the best the Dutch can hope for is for the Dutch regions to be retaken and the rest annexed by another power, likely France.

From the point France and Prussia are already into the fray and Britain short of involved... yes for the Dutch its a national war but the Netherlands are not a great power. As for the Prussians and Austrians, both will be having their fair share of liberal revolts and judging by OTL will be way worse than anything France faces, with some luck the revolts might even succeed with French armies lending directly or indirectly a hand.

As for Belgium were I to make a guess its going to be split between France and the Netherlands in the final peace...

Maybe it would probably need another Bismark of sorts and a good milliarty general
Well the Netherlands didn't really have any large scale wars and mostly kept to Colonial wars after the revolution to WW2 so this war could give one or multiple of the soldiers the experience needed to develop into a great military leader while he couldn't OTL.

Well the Netherlands didn't really have any large scale wars and mostly kept to Colonial wars after the revolution to WW2 so this war could give one or multiple of the soldiers the experience needed to develop into a great military leader while he couldn't OTL.
I think that would be realistic to have a great general similar and maybe better than Helmuth von Moltke the elder to apper because if they did they would have Great advantage and the Netherlands are still
Bitter losing it so William the second may be forced to go all in and if they Netherlands’s win the first few battle decisively then we could have the other great power to step in and support them and the concert of Europe system set up after Napoleon will Also kick into effect and index please

Last edited:

I think this is fairly likely. But I think it will be more that both the Prussian and French armies get bogged down and revolutions happen back home, causing the armies to play chicken on who goes back to kill the liberals first. And Napoleon will convince the French army to keep fighting the Germans no matter who rules Paris. Then after he defeats the Prussians, he marches into Paris triumphantly.

Will teh update schedule be slower from now on?
Hopefully not. I've been managing an update every 2 weeks or so these past few months, which is a pace I hope to continue if not improve upon going forward. My intention is to release the next update tomorrow or Monday since it is essentially finished already, I just need to proof read and edit it to my liking. The update after that is also pretty close to completion, so that should hopefully be coming out in the near future as well.