Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA: I also have my doubts about Belgium getting any more colonies. Belgian West Africa? Considering the terrible reputation Belgium had gotten due to the Congo Free State, I doubt France would eagerly sell to them. Especially since britain would want that area, too. (In fact, I's fully expect Britain to outbid Germany on West African claims, too, making West Africa all British. But that's not such a serious issue.)
I'm a bit late on this, but I seriously doubt that most European powers' governments actually gave half a shit about the native Congolese, unfortunately.

Skallagrim

Banned
I'm a bit late on this, but I seriously doubt that most European powers' governments actually gave half a shit about the native Congolese, unfortunately.

Well, the Casement Report had been rather thorough in denouncing the horrors of Leopold's administration of the Free State. The fact that enough people cared that a real propaganda war erupted between critics of the Free State and Leopold's personal propagandists also shows that there was genuine public outrage. The critics also cared enough to actually formalise their efforts via the Congo Reform Association... and their efforts were serious enough to eventually ensure their success: the Free State was dissolved, and in no small part due to their efforts.

Perhaps governments as such cared far less, in fact that's quite plausible. But by 1908, the atrocities were well-known and widely reviled in Europe. Governments did care about public opinion (especially the opinion of "polite company", which by 1908 was quite revolted by the revelations of what Leopold had been up to).

In the end, I don't think a sale to belgium would be out of the question, but it would definitely look bad. If other options were available, those would certainly be preferred. And I'm just fairly sure those other options would be available. I'm not even sure Belgium was interested in gaining extra colonies at that time...

@Fed, ironically, I've been looking for a singular Greater Germany consisting only of the pre-1945 ethnically-German lands. Thank you. :p

Frankly, they're rare, most Germanwanks go overboard. :p Thanks! My idea is not to create a utopia, but definitely a world far more peaceful than our own, so that was part of the idea. :)

I like it

Thank you!

Now I understand why my guess didn't make sense to you: I was trying to read the bottom edge of "Union" as a four-letter Cyrillic initialization.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I was a bit confused, tbh, hahaha

LOUD YELLING ABOUT AFGHAN BORDERS THAT I ODDLY LIKE

Thank goodness, those Afghan borders were one of the things I was most insecure about, haha. I was trying to make a less ethnically weird Afghanistan, starting with me taking Nuristan into the Indic Federation and ending into a squished Afghanistan.

Thank goodness, those Afghan borders were one of the things I was most insecure about, haha. I was trying to make a less ethnically weird Afghanistan, starting with me taking Nuristan into the Indic Federation and ending into a squished Afghanistan.
Honestly, don't worry about Afghanistan in terms of borders, there's no borders that define Afghanistan, it's a pan-identity like the Yugoslavs for a direct comparison. At least in the modern sense. It's always been the remnants of empires that just couldn't push past the Hindu Kush.

I like them, it's unique.

2050.png

Europe 2050, following an Interspiecial War between Humans and Human-Wolf hybrids.

Following a devastating war between the various factions of humans and Human-Wolf people. On September 1, 2050, an Armistice was signed between the leaders and an uneasy peace was made. The Borders are the lines of the Armistice.

Wolf Nations:
Prussia
Trancaucasia
Normandy
North England
Scotland
Whales (Puppet State)
Wolf Tsardom of Russia

Communist States:
Bulgaria
East France
New USSR
Serbia
Rhineland

NATO:

Southern Germany
Poland
Czechoslovakia
Croatia
Hungary
Baltic State
South England
Ireland
New Roman Republic
South Russia
Turkey
Greece
Romania
Southern Sweden
Belgium
Austria

Other Nations:

Islamic Caliphate
Fourth Reich
Kazakhstan
Switzerland
Ukraine
Holland
Norway and Iceland
Finland
Spanish Empire

I'm sure not every Japanese person takes issue with the parallels to their past actions.
The Fire Nations "co-prosperity" esque propaganda thats mentioned a couple times in flashbacks is about where it ends for Japanese parallels, considering that the culture, dress, armour, arms, martial arts, and everything else is taken from a mix of differnt Han Chinese dynastic periods with a smidge of Mongolian (the boots, mainly). The Earth Kingdom is more familiarly "Chinese" because it's Qing Manchu/Chinese fusion aesthetics are more* contemporary, but both major powers take the majority of their influence from Chinese Dynasties. Admitably, the Fire Nation as depicted in Korra seems to have attempted to take more influence from Japan (mainly in the names of some Fire nation characters from Republic City), but even then most everything about them is Chinese.

Early Yamato Japan did get some repping in Kyoshi Island, though.

Last edited:
The Fire Nations "co-prosperity" esque propaganda thats mentioned a couple times in flashbacks is about where it ends for Japanese parallels
Plus the fact that the power of firebending is derived from the sun, which is what Japan's native name and flag are based off of, that they live on an archipelago with lots of volcanoes, and that they are more industrialized and militaristic than their neighbors.

Last edited:
Plus the fact that the power of firebending is derived from the sun, which is what Japan's native name and flag are based off of, that they live on an archipelago with lots of volcanoes, and that they are more industrialized and militaristic than their neighbors.
The sun might be a bit of a stretch, the Chinese flag has five of them!

In all seriousness though the "Industiralized Island Empire" thing is a decent comparasion, though I guess I swept it under the Co-prosperity point. That said though I didn't really get the feeling they were any more militarized as a society then the Earth Kingdom, and the Earth Kingdom itself had plenty of "industrual" and modern-eqsue technology.

LordOguzHan

Banned
I really don't mean this in a judgmental sense, but what exactly is the goal of these maps? It seems like every one is just an extremist-flavored version of the OTL country with identical geography, with some copy/pasted info from Wikipedia added as a description (in this case, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Popular_Party). I understand if English isn't your first language, but I just don't see what is actually being creatively produced here.

The purpose? Just A Fascist State. My friend :)

Louyan

Banned
Eurasia? Greenland and Siberia def are not European.

I have come to consider Europe as paft of Asia. A large penisula really.
She could be considered a subcontinent but she doesn't even have her own tectonic plate as India or Arabia.
World's largest penisula then; good enough & accurate.

Vuu

Banned
Defining the continents you say? I have my own system, based on distance from nearest land, which can be any land, not the continental land. This results in minor differences, like Iceland and Jan Mayen being North America, or Tristan de Cunha being Antarctica, Halmahera and Aru in Oceania etc.

Note that I don't really consider Europe a continent, way too attached to Asia.

Attachments

• cont.png
    cont.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 436
Osmanlı UK.png

Most of Africa and pretty much all of the Pacific are not done but rest are done. Of this alternate Commonwealth of Nations ruled by a certain Dynasty with POD being around 15th and 16th centuries. Some nations are Republics, some are native (not in union with British Crown) monarchies and others are Commonwealth realms. Parts of Africa currently include parts of non-member states too.

Status
Not open for further replies.