OTL Election maps resources thread

Thande

Donor
I made this map showing Democratic Party strength in seats Republicans won in 2016:

1newtest 2016 Demstrength.png

Deleted member 6086

Did Democrats really not run a congressional candidate in 3 of Arkansas's 4 House seats?

Sorry if this shows ignorance, but why are so many seats uncontested?

Because it's received knowledge in the US that running for Congress costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, state parties often don't have that kind of money, and federal party campaign committees refuse to fund races they don't believe are winnable.

Yes, and the Libertarians contested all four seats, which means I think they came away with more votes in the end.
What's crazy is that, not accounting for deaths and new voters, about half of Arkansan voters voted for a Republican this year and a Democrat in 2008.

What's the story behind that red patch in Oregon of all places?
Oregon east of the Cascades is basically Idaho, and Oregon in general is fairly conservative outside of major cities. But the Portland metro area alone is over half the population so the statewide results are a bit skewed.

Sources: Live in Oregon.

Yeah, I was going to suggest as much. I don't want to see everyone bombard you with requests, but if you are willing to consider it, I'd be very interested to see South Yorkshire.

Well, you asked for South Yorkshire, and I am willing to oblige.

upload_2017-1-25_22-47-11.png

When it comes to councils, South Yorkshire has four: Barnsley in the North West, Sheffield in the South West, Doncaster in the North East and Rotherham in the South East. All four voted Leave by margins varying from 69% Leave (Doncaster) to 51% Leave (Sheffield). One interesting aspect is the large ward sizes in the county - many wards have well over 10,000 people and it is fairly common to have constituencies with only five or six wards, especially in Sheffield. This means the data here is less granular - wards are less likely to be uniform if they are larger.

South Yorkshire wasn't all that interesting in the referendum, to be honest. There was a split between the western suburbs of Sheffield and all of the rest of South Yorkshire. There seems to be a line of particularly strong leave support running from Barnsley through the eastern edge of Rotherham and also the far west of Doncaster, which I would speculate might be a former coalfield area. You can clearly make out Sheffield Hallam, which is the Remain areas of Sheffield outside of the city centre, as well as the parts of Barnsley in the Pennines which voted Leave less heavily, around the unfortunately named town of Penistone.

The halo effect present in the North East doesn't seem to be present here (with the potential exception of Doncaster), possibly due to differences in culture - the North East has more of a suburban ring whereas in Sheffield the suburbs seem more based on sectors of a circle, radiating from the City Centre.

Despite being the "People's Republic" of South Yorkshire, the county split very strongly away from Labour's official remain stance, though I'm willing to bet some of the local MPs diverged from the party line, just like Bassetlaw to the south. And speaking as someone from the North East, the margins across the county were pretty extreme - nearly all wards voted more heavily Leave than my home town, despite living in one of the Leave capitals of Northumberland.

If no-one has any objections I plan to do Moray next - could there have been wards in Scotland that voted Leave? Moray was the closest area in Scotland and the fishing towns around Elgin are prime Leave territory.

The halo effect present in the North East doesn't seem to be present here (with the potential exception of Doncaster), possibly due to differences in culture - the North East has more of a suburban ring whereas in Sheffield the suburbs seem more based on sectors of a circle, radiating from the City Centre.
So patterns of Leave voting can be traced back to prevailing winds and terrain and how they impacted on 19th century land/house prices.

This thread.