Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

I agree, Borneo/Sarawak was never historically majority Muslim, pre-1900.
Cannot compare 2010 OTL stat in Borneo with pre-colonial Borneo. Too many PoDs happened OTL 20th century due to increase migrations by the Muslim Majority from Malaya or Java to Borneo.

I was wondering where you are going with Brooke's Kingdom. Borneo and Malaya are culturally different between locals pre-1900 with exceptions in coastal territories.

Wouldn't it be more practical ITTL to unify Borneo rather than go do an OTL Malaysia?

Since when did I say about unifying Borneo with Malaya? :confused: :p

But you did get the gist of it right; there were too many PODs between now and the modern day for conversion numbers to be like OTL.

As for whether or not it is practical to unify Borneo... well, you'll see. ;)

I hadn't realized Brunei was that big, although I assume its control over much of the outlying territory was weak.

I assume the Dutch will still consolidate southern Borneo - they had it marked out by that time - so the main thing to watch will be the balance of power between Sarawak, Brunei and Sulu, at least for now.

I hadn't realized Brunei was that big, although I assume its control over much of the outlying territory was weak.

I assume the Dutch will still consolidate southern Borneo - they had it marked out by that time - so the main thing to watch will be the balance of power between Sarawak, Brunei and Sulu, at least for now.

The one thing many people forget about Brunei is that it was once a very big and powerful kingdom, and having that on the world's third-largest island makes for a pretty astounding effect on the explorers and mapmakers of the time. However, you are right in that it's control over the outer territories is weak; in fact by the 19th century the system of rule was degenerating fast for those regions.

And yep, the Dutch would be consolidating their hold on Western and Southern Borneo by now (it's the main reason why tiny Sambas on the left didn't get annexed), though I wouldn't count the Brookes out on meddling in said regions. :p

Update on possibly tomorrow or during the weekdays, if I can type the beginning years fast enough.

mini-update: school essay
A little mini-update from THE FUTURE.

Name: Low Pui Shuwen

Date: 20/10/2014

Lundu Secondary School Trial Examination

Question 3: Essay

Explain in more than 350 words how did James Brooke ran Sarawak in the first few years.

It is no question that early Sarawak could not have gone far if it weren't for Rajah James Brooke's ideals
and pragmatism. In my opinion, the true question is just how much of his ideals influenced his final decisions;
and where did those ideals come from anyway?

First and foremost, James Brooke was a product of the colonial system of the time. He was tutored in the
British ideals and systems of the day and served in the British East India Company as a junior officer, even
involving himself in a colonial war against Burma. From this, it is not difficult to extrapolate that his
upbringing and service was where he got his notions of idealism, paternalism, and romanticism.

British public opinion might also play a part in his views of Sarawak. In the mid-1800's, popular opinion in
Britain was swayed towards the idea of the 'Jungle Savages' of Africa and the 'Noble Savages' of Asia,
and that these peoples must either be "protected" or "civilized" as was their duty as colonizers. With
this in mind, it is easy to correlate this with James' view of the Sarawak natives.

However, it must not be forgoten that James Brooke was a man who grew up in India and toured the
East Indies for years before becoming Rajah. From his journals, it is clear that he was impressed with
the potential of the East Indies and he seemed to be equally impressed at how the kingdoms and sultanates
of the region managed to establish themselves in such an environment, and can even grow to have sophisticated
arts and culture.

James's childhood in India could have also reinforce the fact that just because a culture is different, does not
mean it is inferior. The fact that the Sarawak indigenous groups can achieve feats of architecture and art from
materials as simple as bamboo could have influenced his romantic and paternalist ideals, thereby prompting
him to go against what most colonizers could have done.

So in conclusion, I believe that James Brooke's ideals were as much a product of his upbringing, culture, and
the encounters and experiences he had in the East Indies. Whatever the source, it was these notions that
gave Brooke Sarawak the stability it needed to survive those first few years.

(380 words)

M. Thinakaran: You mixed this up with Question 4! Lucky this is a trial exam! (0/10)

Name: Low Pui Shuwen

Date: 20/10/2014

Lundu Secondary School Trial Examination

Question 3: Essay

Explain in more than 350 words how did James Brooke ran Sarawak in the first few years.

It is no question that early Sarawak could not have gone far if it weren't for Rajah James Brooke's ideals
and pragmatism. In my opinion, the true question is just how much of his ideals influenced his final decisions;
and where did those ideals come from anyway?

First and foremost, James Brooke was a product of the colonial system of the time. He was tutored in the
British ideals and systems of the day and served in the British East India Company as a junior officer, even
involving himself in a colonial war against Burma. From this, it is not difficult to extrapolate that his
upbringing and service was where he got his notions of idealism, paternalism, and romanticism.

British public opinion might also play a part in his views of Sarawak. In the mid-1800's, popular opinion in
Britain was swayed towards the idea of the 'Jungle Savages' of Africa and the 'Noble Savages' of Asia,
and that these peoples must either be "protected" or "civilized" as was their duty as colonizers. With
this in mind, it is easy to correlate this with James' view of the Sarawak natives.

However, it must not be forgoten that James Brooke was a man who grew up in India and toured the
East Indies for years before becoming Rajah. From his journals, it is clear that he was impressed with
the potential of the East Indies and he seemed to be equally impressed at how the kingdoms and sultanates
of the region managed to establish themselves in such an environment, and can even grow to have sophisticated
arts and culture.

James's childhood in India could have also reinforce the fact that just because a culture is different, does not
mean it is inferior. The fact that the Sarawak indigenous groups can achieve feats of architecture and art from
materials as simple as bamboo could have influenced his romantic and paternalist ideals, thereby prompting
him to go against what most colonizers could have done.

So in conclusion, I believe that James Brooke's ideals were as much a product of his upbringing, culture, and
the encounters and experiences he had in the East Indies. Whatever the source, it was these notions that
gave Brooke Sarawak the stability it needed to survive those first few years.

(380 words)

M. Thinakaran: You mixed this up with Question 4! Lucky this is a trial exam! (0/10)
Okay, can I just say that the idea of doing a school essay that the kid fails is just brilliant. :D I cannot describe how much I laughed when I saw the teacher's not. Also, very interesting commentary about Brooke. Mr. Shuwen might have gotten a 0/10, but he's going places...probably to TTL's version of althist.com. :p

Okay, can I just say that the idea of doing a school essay that the kid fails is just brilliant. :D I cannot describe how much I laughed when I saw the teacher's not. Also, very interesting commentary about Brooke. Mr. Shuwen might have gotten a 0/10, but he's going places...probably to TTL's version of althist.com. :p

Hehe, I kinda based Shuwen on one of my friends and my own experiences with trial exams. We had so much pressure for our trial exams alone that we ended up being super tired when it came and mix up the answers to the wrong questions by mistake. :p

Also, I didn't want to do the usual book/real-time narratives for James' ideals since 1) it's too usual and 2) I have to use a lot more words.

Does a unified Borneo even make geographical sense ? Banjar Sultanate was perhaps the closest can be said to achieve that and I'm not sure they could acquire capacity to reach Brunei. Even if they do they sure wouldn't call the island Borneo aka. Brunei.

Does a unified Borneo even make geographical sense ? Banjar Sultanate was perhaps the closest can be said to achieve that and I'm not sure they could acquire capacity to reach Brunei. Even if they do they sure wouldn't call the island Borneo aka. Brunei.

Yep. Besides that, the Banjar Sultanate is located to the far south of Borneo, more accessible to Batavia than to Bandar Brunei or Kuching. For all it can do, not even Sarawak can send weapons and supplies there without the Dutch noticing (unless they go for the forest route, that is...)

Sarawak: The First Years
Now to the nitty-gritty stuff!

0LLyXd7.png

Temenggung Jugah Anak Barieng, Early Sarawak: 1846-1868 (Kenyalang Publishing, 2000)

When James Brooke established the Kingdom of Sarawak in 1846, he faced the unenviable task of crafting out a new system of order for said kingdom.

Ever since he left the British East India Company, the English adventurer had a vision of expanding the British Empire through acquiring native territories in the vein of Francis Light or Stamford Raffles. In this, he succeeded. However, the land that he acquired through the treaty was very poor in both management and security, though very plentiful in resources. The split-administration of the 1830’s has greatly weakened the stability of the region, allowing pirates and warring Dayaks to cross over the supposed borders and stir trouble within the realm. Worse was the fact that the British Empire was far more interested in running the outpost of Singapore than giving attention to a self-made kingdom that is far removed from the East Indies’ trading routes.

Considering that the previous split-administration also bled the region dry of finances, James Brooke – now Rajah James Brooke – was forced to make unconventional choices; in this, he was greatly aided by his new Malay and Dayak allies, as well as his own views of idealism, paternalism and romanticism. A Supreme Council was created, headed by four Malay lords whose job was to advise the Rajah on local matters as well as draft new laws that aided the administration of Sarawak. Since now the system of order is made by a “native council”, most of the resulting laws were thought off less as colonial impositions and more thought off as usual matters, greatly aiding the peace in Kuching.

Following this, the English adventurer quickly established a monarchy that amalgamated native power with that of himself and his allies – albeit borrowing from the concepts of Bruneian and British monarchical systems. He elevated experienced Malays, Dayaks and some ex-Bruneian nobles into his administration whist keeping an eye on them to make sure none would get too cocky; Datu Patinggi Ali was notable in this as he rose from being a rabble-rouser to “leader” of Kuching village and “head” of the new Sarawak Supreme Council. James also used the Dayaks as guards to protect both him and the new ministries, seeing the potential of a native force that knew the surrounding environment instead of constantly relying on unprepared British soldiers.

Besides that, the new Rajah used every available contact he had to further solidify his rule over Sarawak. He used personal links dating back to his days in the British East India Company to get hold of guns and cannonry; he used his links to Sir Thomas Cochrane and the Royal Navy for additional support in his anti-pirate activities; he used his links back in England where a small circle of enthusiasts encouraged and supported him with donations and materials. The famous philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts (later Baroness Burdett-Coutts) was a notable supporter and lifelong friend of the adventurer, giving him a generous loan to help him in the first few years and funding Dayak support organizations later on.

T1PwKYN.jpg

The Baroness’ financial contributions made her an important pillar and ally in early Sarawak

The Bruneian ex-nobles were harder to fit in. The Malays and Dayaks distrusted them while the nobles themselves wanted to have the power and influence they once had in Bandar Brunei. James decided on a divide-and-conquer approach; appointing some of the nobles to be in charge of the mining areas of antimony (and later, gold, once it was discovered) while appointing others to be emissaries to the outlying cities and towns beyond the kingdom’s borders. James knew that long-term stability rests on needed allies and saw the credentials of the nobles as useful in persuading towns and villages to his side. In time, these alliances would greatly expand Brooke influence throughout inland Borneo and – alongside the Dayaks, spread the Brooke name and power all throughout the land…

However, it would be the Rajah becoming chief of justice himself that would stamp a permanent mark in the consciousness of the native peoples. Before the adventurer’s arrival in Kuching, criminal justice was often arbitrary in manner and was often biased towards whichever side had the sharpest tool. James, following his ideals, decided to respect the native customary laws of the people while adding a simplified British Code of Justice, only banning slavery, piracy, and headhunting. James also set an important mark by making himself available to anyone seeking his counsel, sometimes stopping by villages on his anti-pirate raids and be both judge and arbiter to local grievances. This unusual implementation of law – sometimes arbitrary in itself – nonetheless helped to spread the Brooke name with the natives, and it was this that led James Brooke to his first understanding between the Kingdom of Sarawak and its first indigenous tribes, the Land Dayaks…

By 1853, the Kingdom of Sarawak was nothing like it was when James Brooke first set foot back in 1838. It had recognition from the United States, its finances were stabilizing and James Brooke was now a knight of Queen Victoria and Governor of Labuan Island. However, pirates and headhunting Dayaks were still roaming free beyond the Kingdom’s borders, and something needs to be done about them. However, the fact that these places were beyond the Kingdom’s reach led James Brooke to sail northwards again for a proposition; back to Bandar Brunei…

8Y2ko3q.png

First flag of the Kingdom of Sarawak, designed by James Brooke himself in 1848

1) James Brooke’s friendship with Baroness Burdett-Coutts is OTL. There are even stories that her relation with James Brooke was more than just friendship.

2) The recognition of the Kingdom of Sarawak by the United States is also factual; the nation also negotiated a commerce treaty with Bandar Brunei in 1850.

3) James Brooke making himself open to anyone’s grievances was - as again - OTL, as was his visiting villages during his anti-pirate raids.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't commented much on the TL, as I'm none too familiar with the setting to really offer much of substance, other than indicating how entertaining it is thus far :).

Yep. Besides that, the Banjar Sultanate is located to the far south of Borneo, more accessible to Batavia than to Bandar Brunei or Kuching. For all it can do, not even Sarawak can send weapons and supplies there without the Dutch noticing (unless they go for the forest route, that is...)

Yes, I agree. The Dutch are for the meantime nearer to southern Borneo unless the Capital is transferred to central of Borneo in the future or if Borneo's resources just totally outmatch the Dutch empire in Borneo much like US to British Canada even though Detroit/Buffalo is nearer to Canadian main cities.

No comments? Guess I should've made more than just a single book-style update. :rolleyes:

I like what you are doing.

Yes, I agree. The Dutch are for the meantime nearer to southern Borneo unless the Capital is transferred to central of Borneo in the future or if Borneo's resources just totally outmatch the Dutch empire in Borneo much like US to British Canada even though Detroit/Buffalo is nearer to Canadian main cities.

That's going to be one of my future Bornean POD's, actually; the presence and exploitation of resources by the Dutch affecting their relations with the native sultanates of Borneo (and an unrecognised polity). The only downside is that almost all information on the Dutch is written in... Dutch, so I have to rely on second-hand sites and the Indonesian Wikipedia. :mad:

Last edited:
A question to all my readers; would it be OK if I use some modern-day photos in my updates from time to time? I ask this because almost every old Dayak photos I can find were of the Ibans and almost no one else or no other tribe else. Guess the whole "Noble Savage" thing only extended towards the ones who cut off the most heads. :rolleyes:

Given the paucity of pictures other than more recent ones, I have no problem with you doing that. It is a load of BS that the ones who did the most beheading got the most publicity, but then I've never been all that fond of the Noble Savage trope (at least, not in its more recent iterations).