Very Minor PODs

I don't know how likely Andy White would be, and given that I don't think it'd be a minor POD. Pete Best was a Beatle and hence in a band. Ringo Starr was also in a band (Rory Storm and the Hurricanes) and the Beatles stole him away from them since he was, according to many people, the best drummer in Liverpool. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Andy White a session musician? He was called in by George Martin to pick up the drum part on "Love Me Do" after Pete Best was fired and when Ringo came in but Martin also did not feel he was good enough.

Here's a minor POD that has a huge impact on pop culture: EC Comics doesnt publish Mad. With no Mad, that means most forms of modern satire are butterflied away: no SNL, Simpsons, National Lampoon, The Onion, Weird Al Yankovic,etc.

So no Laugh In. Richard Nixon told a reporter that the reason that he was elected in 1968 in OTL was because he appeared on Laugh In and that gave him a push with American Voters. So Nixon loses to Humphrey.

Here's a minor POD that has a huge impact on pop culture: EC Comics doesnt publish Mad. With no Mad, that means most forms of modern satire are butterflied away: no SNL, Simpsons, National Lampoon, The Onion, Weird Al Yankovic,etc.

Hm... No Cracked magazine, and Pointlesswasteoftime.com stays independent. John Dies at the End doesn't get an extra huge fanbase right before being published, as writer David Wong never becomes the editor of Cracked.com. John Cheese stays a drunk. Don Coscarelli never notices JDatE and doesn't turn it into a feature film, coming to theaters in the US January 25th.

Hm... No Cracked magazine, and Pointlesswasteoftime.com stays independent. John Dies at the End doesn't get an extra huge fanbase right before being published, as writer David Wong never becomes the editor of Cracked.com. John Cheese stays a drunk. Don Coscarelli never notices JDatE and doesn't turn it into a feature film, coming to theaters in the US January 25th.

If Cracked.com never exists, at least it can't slowly ruin itself. :p Shame about John Cheese it that scenario though.

Hadley said:
Here's a minor POD that has a huge impact on pop culture: EC Comics doesnt publish Mad.
That's not minor.:eek: To get no Mad, you've got to butterfly away the reasons EC created Mad, which means no horror comics crash, or no Seduction of the Innocent.:cool::cool::cool: This alone is major.:eek:
Stolengood said:
Thx.;) (I'm old; that wasn't the first place I thought to look.:eek::p)

I share Emperor Norton's doubts. He wasn't from Liverpool, for a start...& Martin was, by appearances, notoriously fussy. So...an intriguing idea, but...

As bad as the boards there have gotten, and as low-quality some of their articles are getting, I still love almost every video they put out.

I do need to watch more of their videos.

Here is another minor PoD: Actor Jason Segal asked Hilary Clinton if she would star in a movie with him. She sent a letter back thanking him but declining. What if she said she'd star in a movie with him after she finished her term as Sec. of State?

A Star Trek cultural POD:

Michael Piller's "audition" freelance script for The Next Generation doesn't include a scene with a conversation built around an extended baseball metaphor. Piller credited that scene as what got Rick Berman to fall in love with an otherwise unmemorable script, as Berman was a big baseball fan. As a result Piller isn't hired, and doesn't take over the show's writing staff.

Piller, unusually for an early TNG writer, was a big advocate for "Roddenberry's Box." Gene Roddenberry's driving concept for TNG said that humans in the 24th Century were more evolved: they didn't have conflict with one another, they didn't grieve for the dead, and they were all-around perfect people. TNG's original writing staff hated the Box, and many of them left at the end of Season 3 when their contracts expired. Piller, as he rebuilt the writing staff, bought freelance scripts and hired new writers who could work inside that Box. He thought that the challenge it presented helped to develop better Star Trek stories.

Without Piller, whoever ATL is in his OTL job could take the whole franchise in a very different direction. If ST:TNG loosened up its dramatic rules, then many of the reactions to it within the genre will be different. (The nuBSG being the most extreme backlash against the "perfect people" concept.)

Speaking of nuBSG, Ronald D. Moore could very well not get his first freelance script picked up. Piller was the one who picked it out of the slush pile, and, after Gene Roddenberry deep-sixed it for not conforming to the Box, personally reworked the premise to satisfy Gene. Piller's ATL replacement could easily not pick up the script, or could drop the matter due to not being able to come up with a workaround for the Box. Without his script being picked up by the show of his dreams, Moore would shortly enlist in the Navy as he had planned.

I just finished Killing Kennedy. The book includes a story of man who looked up at School Book Depostory and saw Oswald with his rifle. He said to his wife, look there is a Secret Service agent.I don' t know if this story is true but what if figured out Oswald true intentions. oOswald could have been arested before he fired a shot.

• John Walker Lindh, an American man who went and became a radical and a terrorist and was captured in Afghanistan, had his interest in Islam initially sparked by the Spike Lee film "Malcolm X". Without that, perhaps he becomes some other sort of criminal and problem to society. (I'd like to note, I'm a true, blue patriot who loves my country and hates the forces of radicalism and evil that it combats, and I love democracy and freedom. I note that since my internet totally froze when I was writing that paragraph, so I have a very real fear that the words I wrote had lead to someone suddenly putting an eye on me)
  • For Planet of the Apes, originally a production company called "King Brothers Productions" wanted to do it as a cheap, nickle and dime film and Rod Serling wrote a treatment for it.

Last edited:
Abba dies in a plane crash instead of Lynryd Skynrd?

Steve McQueen is at Sharon Tate's house when the Mansons' come calling?

David Kennedy (RFK's son) kicks the drugs and gets married?

Akira Kurosawa directs a Godzilla movie(s)?

Carol Lombard, Jean Harlow, and John Coolidge live longer?

Superman Lives is made?

Henry Ford is elected to the Senate?

Kurosawa Success with the Seven Samurai was what allow Toho to produced the First Godzilla film. Without the income from Seven Samurai, Toho could not have afforded to do Godzilla.

Let assume that the person who does the English language subtitle for Seven Samurai does a poor job. The film does poorly and Toho does not do Godzilla.