Very Minor PODs

But... but... the crowning humiliation!

(I still remember my non-football mom watching the first few seconds of the post-game and asking why Norwood was crying.)

Have the Bills get some actual competition in the AFC and you increase their chances of winning by a lot.

Archibald

Banned
http://nasawatch.net/shuttle-news-1997-2003/1998/12/

In February 1998 NASA doesn't layoff 500 shuttle workers, most of them in Florida.

Hardly noticed until November 2000 and a certain election

On November 8, 2000, the Florida Division of Elections reported that Bush won with 48.8% of the vote in Florida, a margin of victory of 1,784 votes.[1] The margin of victory was less than 0.5% of the votes cast, so a statutorily-mandated[2] automatic machine recount occurred. On November 10, with the machine recount finished in all but one county, Bush's margin of victory had decreased to 327.[3] According to author Jeffrey Toobin, later analysis showed that a total of 18 counties—accounting for a quarter of all votes cast in Florida—did not carry out the legally mandated machine recount, but "[n]o one from the Gore campaign ever challenged" the notion that the machine recount had been completed.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore#cite_note-4

In 2001, a consortium of news organizations, assisted by professional statisticians (NORC), examined numerous hypothetical ways of recounting all the Florida ballots. The study was conducted over a period of 10 months. The consortium examined 175,010 ballots that vote-counting machines had rejected. Under some methods, Al Gore would have emerged the winner; in others, George W. Bush. But in each one, the margin of victory was smaller than the 537-vote lead that state election officials ultimately awarded Bush. Under the strategy that Al Gore pursued at the beginning of the Florida recount - filing suit to force hand recounts in four predominantly Democratic counties - Bush would have kept his lead, according to the ballot review conducted by the consortium. If Florida's 67 counties had carried out the hand recount of disputed ballots ordered by the Florida Supreme Court on December 8, applying the standards that election officials said they would have used, Bush would have emerged the victor by 493 votes.

Could that works ? and they said the space program had zero influence at the political level :eek:

Here's a nonspecific minor POD:

Someone drops something they didn't in the OTL. Just think on that for a minute. It could be battle plans, it could be secret documents that lead to one thing that leads to another that takes down a president, it could be just some object that otherwise changes someone's schedule or life that leads them to where they are; you lose your presentation for whatever job you had, get fired, go off and become a prominent author who changes the world.

Fanny Kaplan's shot is bit different, and so she ends up mortally wounding Lenin in stead of just seriously injuring him. Lenin expires sometime the next day, and the Bolsheviks no longer have their unifying leader that all the major power players at least respected.

Two thoughts

Warm Dr Pepper was experimented with in advertising as a way to try to make it a thing people did and expand sales in winter time. It didn't take off, but warm soda as a possibility is an interesting idea as a what if it did take off.

Peanut butter has a long, storied history. Peanut butter and Jelly, as something that goes together, is actually a rather recent invention. Before then, Peanut butter was paired with and experimented with a lot of stuff. One was Peanut butter and Banana, which many people still do. One was Peanut butter and Bacon. So there are a lot of possibilities of things that could have taken off there to become prominent and common instead of Peanut butter and Jelly, or alongside it.

Here's a media POD:

Home video releases continue to have both widescreen and fullscreen on 1 disc. This was the way it was when DVD first came out, but they quickly changed it so there'd be only a widescreen and only a fullscreen version, and you'd have to buy one or the other, or both. There is no way that wasn't a cash grab. It doesn't really matter now, since 99% of everything is widescreen release without any fullscreen version (unless that was the original aspect ratio) but there was a window of several, several years there were it did matter, and there were still people holding out on full screen. I know that affected my family for a very long time, and I had to fight and piss and moan because they kept buying fullscreen DVD's because my mom didn't like the bars, and I kept telling them widescreen was the full movie picture to no avail. And now all TVs are widescreen, so now they're stuck with a bunch of square picture pieces of junk DVDs where the black bars are on the sides and they only get a limited picture. Had the studios not made up that way to make extra money, it would have saved me grief.

Here's one: Norman Borlaug's first group of leaf-rust-resistant wheat was eaten by a neighbor's donkeys. What if they hadn't been, and leaf rust resistance entered the Borlaug wheats years early?

No idea what the consequences would be - I haven't gotten to the end of the series yet, but I wanted to post that before I forgot it. :p

A first two are pre-1900 - sorry about that. Also, apologies for any repeats.

Charles Darwin dies on the HMS Beagle. Alfred Wallace goes on propose the Theory of Evolution.

Houaphanh Province remains part of Vietnam, rather than being assigned to Laos by the French in the 19th Century.

‘Hoover Dam’ is officially known as ‘Boulder Dam’ (No Congress bill in 1947 officially renaming it).

Oder-Neisse Line applies to entirety of Polish-German Border – Szczezin/Stettin remains German.

Nolan Bushnell and Tom Dabney continuing to operate ‘Syzygy Engineering’ (created in 1969) instead of creating Atari, Inc in 1972 – the Atari VCS/2600 is instead released as the ‘Syzygy VCS’.
(I think there's already a timeline on the board that does this)

The Atari 5200 is released as the 'Video System X' (it's original name).
The Atari 5200/VSX controller actually works, or is at least more reliable.

Hulk Hogan is persuaded to remain with the AWA rather than joining the WWF.

Tim Curry voices The Joker in ‘Batman: The Animated Series’ instead of Mark Hamill.

The third Batman film is directed by Tim Burton instead of Joel Schumacher – Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent/Two-Face.

‘The Columbine Bombing’ – the home-made explosives set in Columbine High School’s Canteen by Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold go off.

George W. Bush doesn’t run for Governor of Texas in 1994. Instead, he remains the owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team and goes on to become Commissioner of Major League Baseball.

Oliver North successfully runs for Senate in Virginia in 1994 (OTL, he lost).

Hmm... think I may have gone a bit overboard here. Oh well...

Here's a minor POD that has a huge impact on pop culture: EC Comics doesnt publish Mad. With no Mad, that means most forms of modern satire are butterflied away: no SNL, Simpsons, National Lampoon, The Onion, Weird Al Yankovic,etc.