Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

You do realise this is going to cause a hell of a lot of confusion when the emperor/empress [forget what we have currently] refers to the citizens of our southern dominion.;) Not to mention the Ghurkas are no longer the shortest elite units in the imperial armies!

Indeed, indeed!

That is a hell of an Ottoman empire. Getting very deep into northern Africa.

Yes it is and yes it does - care to compare to OTL French Africa?;)

Is there actually any market there other than the historical one, which I would have hoped was largely defunct by now?

Sorry, Steve, you lost me there. Market for what? Most of that is Sahara, of course, but the coast has value, as does the Nile.

Also is there a canal across Suez? Going to cause Britain some palpitations about India if there is as its definitely not in British control.

There is a Suez Canal, and the British are big players in it. Fortunately, the Brits and the Ottomans are on very good terms, so it is working out.

Not to mention Ethiopia has some strange boundaries. Having to go so far across Somalia to get a coastal boundary. Guessing its got good terms with Britain, possibly as protection against the Ottomans, since the borders there suggests that coastline is with agreement with Britain. [Presuming this is of course Ethiopia and not a very strange Somalia.;)]

That is Ethiopia, that went through a growth phase over the past 20 years, with the blessings and encouragement of the British (and the tolerance of the Ottomans - some of the local brands of Islam were just a bit too activist for their more refined tastes). Let's just say the Somali coast is a bit restive under the Ethiopian yoke.

Presuming the large patch in the NW is a greater Morocco?

It is indeed. Morocco has done well in the post Global War climate, especially with support from its political and trade partner, the USA. As with most of Africa, that land is in trust more than actual control.

Britain failed to get a Cape to Cairo

No Cecil Rhodes to drive that dream.

but does have a east-west route, for what little it would be worth.

Once they throw a railroad that way, it does give them yet another route to India and back. Also, the Sahel falls mostly to them, and that is undervalued real-estate both IOTL and TTL, if managed properly.

Is the Congo still independent and possibly also Madagascar, hence the white colouring?
Mostly so, though they have influences. Congo especially is interesting and will be the subject of a future update some day.

Looks rather weird but then I suspect someone from the DSA universe would think the same of the colonial borders of our Africa 1900.

Quite right - I will give away that most of those borders were drawn by the great powers as a way of 'tidying up' the Dark Continent as a prelude to developing the continent, though a bit differently from OTL - we'll see if they have any better luck.

One other point. Probably mentioned in the text somewhere but too many TLs and too few working braincells left. I take it its just a coincidence that S Italy and the Ottoman empire look about the same colour?

Steve

It is a coincidence - just not enough color range to work with I guess.

Glen

They are all quite fun. This one especially is just adorable:

union_jack_penguin_sticker-p217052321613329707envb3_400.jpg

Glen

I have just discovered this timeline.

You know, any timeline that links my beloved South with the British Empire is ultra-legit.

I absolutely love you for it. :D

Welcome, MasterSanders, and glad you are enjoying the timeline. Turns out the South just fits so well in the British Empire!:D

Oh, and so the Deists in this TL a sort of hybrid of the Unitarian-Universalists and the liberal protestant demoninations?

Glen

Sorry, Steve, you lost me there. Market for what? Most of that is Sahara, of course, but the coast has value, as does the Nile.

Sorry, trying to be a bit too subtle. The traditional reason for interest in much of that area by people from the Med or Arabia was for slaves. Its the only reason why Egypt ending up occupying the Sudan.

Otherwise don't think there is much in the way of markets or products for any major state in the region at the time. Could however be a prestige 'conquest'.

There is a Suez Canal, and the British are big players in it. Fortunately, the Brits and the Ottomans are on very good terms, so it is working out.

Good to hear, especially since it would suggest the Ottomans aren't clinging to the slave trade, at least not openly.

Once they throw a railroad that way, it does give them yet another route to India and back. Also, the Sahel falls mostly to them, and that is undervalued real-estate both IOTL and TTL, if managed properly.

True but some pretty hostile territory through there. If they have reasonable security in the canal and also control of the Cape [or both capes in TTL;)] I think a railway all the way across wouldn't be that attractive an idea economically.

Mostly so, though they have influences. Congo especially is interesting and will be the subject of a future update some day.

Looking forward to it.:D

Steve

Beedok

Very much like 1 and 4 especially. Many thanks. Ingenious little devils aren't they? You wouldn't think you could operate a flagpole with just a beak and flippers.:D:p

Steve

Getting the camera to take a picture is also a significant feat, though I think uploading it was probably hardest.:D

JJohnson

Banned
I haven't read the entire timeline, I admit, but how did Germany lose East/West Prussia, Posen, Silesia, and the eastern bits of Brandenburg before 1901?

And no Southern US means a much different space program, if that even happens.

I haven't read the entire timeline, I admit, but how did Germany lose East/West Prussia, Posen, Silesia, and the eastern bits of Brandenburg before 1901?

Prussia never been part of Germani in TTL.

Comments on the map.

Sort of from North to South...

Especially with the British looking towards Antarctica, there are only three Nations to split up the Arctic: the USA, Scandinavia and Russia, which is about the minimum that I can imagine occuring in the absence of a world controlling single power.

Is Hokaido that color due to being part of Qing China (that's the area north of Korea right?) or due to being a Japanese "Colony"?

Additional "color" question, Austria & Greece?

In square mileage under control, I *think* the order goes Russia, USA, Ottoman, UK, but with the poles expanded, the Ottomans could be larger than the USA.

Let's play everyone's favorite ATL game of the late 19th century and early 20th, "Who gets Spanish Pacific posessions?" :) (or are they strong enough ITTL?)

Yes, the British get Antarctica, but using the OTL Brazilian "frontage" idea (All of Antarctica goes to whatever country is immediately north of that), the *Mexicans* or the Americans would have the second best claim.

JJohnson

Banned
I'm looking at the maps, and I'm wondering why the states in the midwest are so oddly shaped. TTL Mississippi does have Iowa's originally proposed borders, but does this timeline have no Samuel F Vinton arguing for more Jeffersonian borders, i.e., more equally sized states? That's part of the reason we have state stacks of 3° in height (Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota) and 4° (Wyoming, Colorado, Montana).

Would this "Jacques" state even have enough resources to be self-sufficient? And why would there be so many states named for Presidents in this timeline? It was distinctly avoided OTL, with the one exception of Washington, named for the first President. I enjoy the level of detail here, though some of the states' borders seem a bit unique to this timeline.

What are the capitals of the states in this TL? I would guess this TL's capital of Minnesota would be at Duluth or St. Cloud.

Glen

Prussia never been part of Germani in TTL.

What Lalli says. Prussia-Poland lost Brandenburg to Germany, not the other way round!

As for the different space program, if that even happens - this is a Glen timeline, of course there will be a space program, somewhere, somewhen. Ah, but the devil is always in the details!;)