Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

I'd agree with this as well, but then again the whole "Americano= somebody from every New World country, not just the USA" attitude present in many Latin American countries really sticks in my craw, so YMMV.

I'm Mexican, so I grew up with that "America" is a continent not a country attitude. However I grew out of it 'cause its pointless.

However in TTL, it is easy to see how norteamericano would be the common monkier for Americans, since there is a "Southern America".

Sudamericano is more conflicting because there is a Southern America and a South America, and they mean to different things. Using Iberoamerica for the southern continent is the only solution I see.

And once again the attitudes in TTL about this would be different from OTL's so maybe there isn't that "america" is a continent identity crisis here. Or alternatively it is worse.

I also have to wonder whether there's a greater sense of "provincial citizenship" to parallel OTL's States Rights attitude; in other words, a tendency to identify more strongly as an Indianan/Georgian/Abionian/etc. in addition to, or instead of, a Southron. Hopefully that made sense :eek:.

I'm going to guess this is likely the case within the Dominion, at least up until the Global War. Then an "Southron identity" has likely taken over. The degree also likely varies from region to region.

Hey two quistions.

1. Is USPA industialised or not?

2. If the USPA was in OTL how would it be able to handle the OTL USA?

Glen

BUMP for an update (perhaps we can see what's going on in Ethiopia's neck of the woods?).

While Ethiopia deserves it's own update, it will have to wait for later.

Also, a handful of little questions;

1) AFAIK the demonym for DSA-ers is just "Southron" or Southerner. However, how would one say this in, say, Spanish? "Sureño" is just too vague a term to use for a national moniker in that language, much as how "Americano" is for Americans apparently :)rolleyes:). Perhaps something like "norsureño" (North-Southerner), or "surdominioneses" (South Dominion-ish)?

Good question. Does anyone know a slang term for British in Spanish?

2) What's going on with Japan currently? I can't remember how large their role was in the Great War, much less where that leaves them currently on a national level.

Japan was a major front with their surrogates of Imperial Japan and Tokugawa Japan Fighting it out. This state of being divided and the surrogates for foreign powers has left Japan somewhat behind where it was the same time. In our own history.

3) From a technical standpoint, how advanced are aircraft compared to OTL? With an earlier Great War, would there have been similar lessons learned in terms of aviation warfare for future designs to develop in a recognisable fashion?

Rigid airships are further advanced at this point than the same time in our history due to the war and were more militarized that in our timeline playing more varied Arial roles. Heavier than air aircraft have yet to make an appearance.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Thank you for your support.

Glen

It would likely be, estadounidense or norteamericano for US Americans, and I guess surdominenses, which you sugest, could work for the Dominion.

Alternatively angloamericano could be used, or even sudamericano if iberoamericano becomes the common moniker for South Americans and Iberoamerica for the continent in Spanish. This last one makes the most sense to me.

As Glen has pointed out all this might sound confusing for us, but the folks living in the TL have likely figured it out and and may even use some terms alternatively without thinking much.

Also gringo in TTL likely refers to Southrons, while yanqui would be used for Americans. The latter would be a much friendlier term since in TTL the US would have messed a lot less with the region.

Not sure but gringo certainly could arise for the Siuthrons as derogatory slang. Yanqui is definitely common for Americans and is not considered derogatory by anyone ITTL.

Glen

Glad to come back to this TL. Hey Glen, is there any chance you might tackle the development of the auto industry one of these days? I've got some ideas if you're interested. :D

Yes we will have to cover the rise of the automobile in this timeline at some point, and of course I am interested in your ideas on this.

Glen

I'd agree with this as well, but then again the whole "Americano= somebody from every New World country, not just the USA" attitude present in many Latin American countries really sticks in my craw, so YMMV.

I also have to wonder whether there's a greater sense of "provincial citizenship" to parallel OTL's States Rights attitude; in other words, a tendency to identify more strongly as an Indianan/Georgian/Abionian/etc. in addition to, or instead of, a Southron. Hopefully that made sense :eek:.

Oddly enough the Southron identity had its antecedents in the Southern rebellion and the short-lived Confederation, and then slowly reforged in the early days of the Dominion. By the Global War it is pretty established except in Indiana and where province still takes precedence. Region does have some importance such as Caribbean versus East versus West.

Glen

.....Let's get this going again.....

Much as I'd like this to recommence too...Glen hasn't logged into this site since the 3rd of September.

Really? Geez, I hope he's OK.

Yeah, me too. :( I'll send him a PM sometime soon and see when he responds.

CaliBoy1990

Been away so only just catching up now. Any news about Glen? Hopefully the silence isn't a sign something bad has happened.:(

Steve

Thanks for your interest and concern. Real life got insane busy and I only now have dug out. Happens about once a year.

Chalk me up as another who's glad you're well, understands life being in the way at times, and the like. Hope your thanksgiving went well, sir.

I can only say take your time on the updates - but now that we're in 1900 shall you switch to the Post-1900 forum now? ;)

Glen

Chalk me up as another who's glad you're well, understands life being in the way at times, and the like. Hope your thanksgiving went well, sir.

I can only say take your time on the updates - but now that we're in 1900 shall you switch to the Post-1900 forum now? ;)

Thanks. I have two almost ready to post. We still have 19th century holes to fill. Also, forum is determined by POD.