Annie Oakley Kills the Kaiser

On a chilly November evening in 1889, long before the hounds of war had reared their heads over Europe, Annie Oakley was touring Europe as part of the Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. The show had seen much success throughout its run and tonight would be no different. The rich and powerful of Berlin turned out in droves to see the performance. Among them was the young Kaiser Wilhelm II, only a year into his reign.

As part of the show's Grand Finale, Annie Oakley would announce to the crowd that she would attempt to shoot off the ashes from the cigar from any lady or gentleman in the audience. It was unthinkable that anyone would actually volunteer and Annie would without fail preform the trick on her beleaguered husband.

This night would be different. The Kaiser was infatuated with Annie and so when Annie made her request, as she did at all her shows, he jumped out of his front row seat and clambered onto the stage. Annie was stunned and horrified but could not easily rescind the offer, especially to one of the most powerful men in Europe. Instead, she paced off her usual distance while Wilhelm placed a cigar in his mouth and smiled broadly at the audience.

Now, on this particular night the trick would be a success and the two ambitious celebrities would live on. What if, however, Annie Oakley had missed in her panic and blown off the Kaiser's head instead of his cigar?

Is it me or have I read that intro before somewhere?

I got the idea while reading What If? edited by Robert Crowley. The only part that I copied was "On a chilly November afternoon" the rest is my own, at least as far as I am aware of.

7 year old Crown Prince Wilhelm is the new emperor, if I understand the succession correctly.

Since this event precedes his fall by 5 months, Bismarck will be able to extend his period as Chancellor by several more years.

7 year old Crown Prince Wilhelm is the new emperor, if I understand the succession correctly.

Since this event precedes his fall by 5 months, Bismarck will be able to extend his period as Chancellor by several more years.

Yes, but he wasn't really young by then. Sure, he'll be able to make sure Wilhelm III is more pliable, but he was getting on in age.

Kaiser Bill gets remembered as a "Great Peacemaker" as a 1913 NY Times piece described him, and (i would like to assume) it ends the short but rather strange public life of Annie Oakley? lol
His son Takes over...Constitutional Reform? Wasn't his Son (Bill III) even more conservative than his Father, just more completant and (over?)-confident?

Wolfpaw

Banned
Kaiser Bill gets remembered as a "Great Peacemaker" as a 1913 NY Times piece described him, and (i would like to assume) it ends the short but rather strange public life of Annie Oakley? lol
His son Takes over...Constitutional Reform? Wasn't his Son (Bill III) even more conservative than his Father, just more completant and (over?)-confident?
Well he's still a kid at this point, so that will make him more malleable. I suppose his mother and Bismarck will have more influence over him, so we don't have to deal with Kaiser Uberkompensation, but probably a more Kautious Kaiser.

His son was seven at the time so its entirely possible that with this as the POD he would have a radically different childhood and adult personality.

abc123

Banned
IMO one of significant consequences could be young Kaiser's hatred towards Americans because Annie killed his father...
;)

But it is very nice POD and I'm really sorry that nobody didn't write a TL about that...

Was sitting bull still with the show? It may butterfly wounded knee.

No, he left the show in 1884. You might still butterfly Wounded Knee though. Black Elk, who was in the show in 1887, maybe still in 1889, had a vision that if they wore Ghost Dance shirts they would be invulnerable to bullets, so maybe he doesn't have his vision and the Sioux are less boisterous. There are plenty of other Sioux involved in both Buffalo Bill's Wild West and the Wounded Knee massacre, so it's possible.

Annie Oakley is promptly arrested, tried, and executed, for having "assassinated" the Kaiser.
The American government protests strongly against this injustice.
Arguments go back and forth across the Atlantic, with other countries taking sides in the dispute as well.
Escalation.
World War.

Annie Oakley is promptly arrested, tried, and executed, for having "assassinated" the Kaiser.
The American government protests strongly against this injustice.
Arguments go back and forth across the Atlantic, with other countries taking sides in the dispute as well.
Escalation.
World War.

Afraid it's not that simple. US-German relations weren't bad enough that an accidental killing would be ruled an assassination so easily. Still, Oakley would be imprisoned.

Afraid it's not that simple. US-German relations weren't bad enough that an accidental killing would be ruled an assassination so easily. Still, Oakley would be imprisoned.
According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, in that same year America, Germany, and Britain nearly came to blows with each other over control of Samoa until a typhoon there sank six warships (No details given, but I presume at least 1 per power, and probably nothing larger than a light cruiser). ITTL how about Germany demanding America's rights & claims in those islands as "reparations" for the killing?