Agricola's Folly- The Tale of a Roman Ireland

Enjoying this! Subscribed!

Really good so far, but can the Romans really get away with having NO legion in Hibernia? Or will it return after the conquest of Alba?

Hero of Canton

I Enjoy Making Maps

7453546310_0c5d271e84_z.jpg

Of course this may not be the map you want. But I enjoyed making it. I added some more forts or cities and the roads, but I didn't name them, since it's your timeline and your privilege to name them.

OTl Ireland was spared the severe plagues of late antiquity, which were carried through urban centers and along trade networks. That won't happen here. But with no external enemies other than the picts, it probably won't matter much.

One possibility here is that you never see the emergence of a distinct Irish identity, especially if Ireland gets lots of immigrants from Gaul and Britain as civilization collapses. You probably see a Celto-Roman or British Isles identity emerging.

The religious implications are also interesting. If *Ireland (which probably includes at least parts of Britain after the fall of Rome) maintains a fair amount of prosperity and education, the chances that it gets its own patriarch or other distinct Christian tradition are pretty high. Really a huge amount of butterflies there. In this TL, you may have Western Orthodoxy and Graeco-Roman Catholicism, for example.

Abhakhazia

Banned
Here's a map for you, just before Trajan crushes the rebellion showing client Kingdoms, military units, cities and rebellious areas.

irish.png