Agricola's Folly- The Tale of a Roman Ireland

This is an interesting one. The Romans could conquer the place in the 1st Century AD but would need another 3 or 4 Legions on top of another 4 or 5 for the rest of Britannia and Caledonia/ This worsens the military over extension the Roman Empire must face. At some point,perhaps under Hadrian or during the 3rd Century Crisis someone will have to make a decision for some military consolidation. Uneconomic provinces might have to be abandoned at this point and Ireland/Caledonia may well be a part of that. Some Romanisationn in these areas may well have happened with perhaps client kings friendly to Rome in place. Perhapps a rather similar situation to other border powers such as Armenia. This seems the best case for Rome assumig withdrawl after a century or so of rather troubled occupation.

One possibility...

As an unrepentant Romanophile with some Irish blood on my maternal grandfather's side of the family let me suggest that the conquest of Hibernia could provide a very valuable "export" that could have long-term benefits to the Empire...Irish recruits first as Auxiliaries and then as Legionnaires. Irishmen provided much of the muscle and blood that built the British Empire. Why could they not first help make the conquest of Alba possible?

Hero of Canton

Last edited:
A Roman Ireland would mean much more Romanisation in Western Britain due to the trade links that would emerge that way.

It would also cause the early creation of cities, which would be very beneficial for Ireland's later economic development, and stop it being so much of a backwater.

Finally, I imagine frequent piracy from Caledonian tribes on trade between Brittannia and Hibernia would mean eventually the Romans would get fed up and take the place.

Abhakhazia

Banned
Trajan, the Imperator

Historia Romana (C. Luteti, 1998, Modena University Press)
The real golden age of Rome started when Domitian was overthrown and Trajan, a young general, commandant of the XX Valeria Victrix in Hibernia, was selected by a council of generals, and the Senate. Trajan, was a bit of a dark horse in the pool of candidates, as a young general, born in Hispania, spent time as a regular soldier, climbed the ranks and achieved the command of a legion.
He was also noted for several other things, the improvement of Hibernian roads, the establishment of farms, industry and mining across the isle, as well as instuting a small system of welfare for the poorest of the poor.
All were needed across the Empire at the assassination of Domitian, the dirt poor became poorer, the Dacians were kicking up stream, as well as Caledonian and Hibernian rebels. Rome was flooded with immigrant shantytowns of British, Thracian and Pannonian refugees.
Trajan first act as imperator was to finish what he started in Hibernia, crushing the revolt with cunning tactics and the help of client kings.
He also incouraged trade through the region, as commodities such as salt, iron and gold was to be found there.
Western Britain enjoyed this relative prosperity to, ports were built up, and citizens became rich, thanks to Rome.
This new-found, favorable opinion of Rome allowed the local legion to move itself to Caledonia with the IX Hispania, solving the Caledonian problem.

Trajan's next task was Dacia.
Crossing the Danube in 99 AD, Trajan went into Dacia with three legions. As typical Roman strategy[1], Trajan and his legions barged strait for the enemy capital, knocking out the defensive force in the way and taking the country.
But Dacia was different, for the 20 years, guerilla fighting would rage off and on, and by the beginning of Hadrian's reign, it was let go.

The next policy Trajan began was "Don't ask, Don't tell" [2], because of the ongoing issue with Christians. It was simple, even if you though somebody was Christian, you didn't ask, and they didn't have to tell. It was the first step on the path to the legalization of Christianity 40 years later.

Trajan also enriched the power of the senate, slightly but enough to actually have them make a difference in Roman politics.

The last thing Trajan did, in his early years was reinstating the Emperor Titus's policy of free speech.

It can be said that these progressive reforms lead to the Roman Empire surviving over a hundred years past her due date.
* * *​

[1] This was a very common late first and early second century military strategy.
[2] Trajan and Hadrian had a similar policy in our timeline, and actually called it that, or something similar.

What do you think of the update?

good for me. WHOA about the legalization of christianity... so Ireland's conquest butterflies Trajan's campaign against the Parthians (since it attracted more resources). We have to assume that wars with Parthians were less frequent?

about the fall are you considering roughly the date of the end of WRE, about that the splitting up is still on?

Abhakhazia

Banned
good for me. WHOA about the legalization of christianity... so Ireland's conquest butterflies Trajan's campaign against the Parthians (since it attracted more resources). We have to assume that wars with Parthians were less frequent?

about the fall are you considering roughly the date of the end of WRE, about that the splitting up is still on?

No, I'm considering about 525-550 for the fall of the WRE.
The Empire will be split, but it will be complicated, so I'll leave that for later.

Parthian Wars will be less frequent as well, Rome is not going to be as uppity in the east as they were in OTL.

Abhakhazia

Banned
Is it going to be worlda, QBam, or what?

It's going to be a map. I don't know. It'll be a Eurocentric map, that's it. It'll be more TACOS color scheme.
If you want to make one, fine by me.
I am still new, don't forget that I don't know what all this stuff means