Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Tattoos maybe?

I guess it could work if its facial tattoos or arm ones if the army wear uniforms that have short or no sleeves. There might even be a certain leeway in the actual rendition of the image if for example a given award is shown by an abstract design (3 wavy lines) or objects (crossed riffle and sword).

Probably the government would pass some sort of law to prevent people from displaying tattoos they are not entitled to.

A question, as well as a bit of a challenge: apart from medals, can anyone think or come up with a a method of decorations that would allowed variation and the presence of multiple of them but still have a similar structure (thus not large objects or completely different objects for different award).

The only system I can think of are the fourragères which although in OTL used for entire units could be in some ATL awarded to individuals. The only problem would be when you got too many of them which would get a bit bulky.

Any ideas ?

I'm assuming you mean other than badges as well.

Maybe something like a loop colored similar to medals/ribbons, but along your belt?

Krall

Banned
A question, as well as a bit of a challenge: apart from medals, can anyone think or come up with a a method of decorations that would allowed variation and the presence of multiple of them but still have a similar structure (thus not large objects or completely different objects for different award).

The only system I can think of are the fourragères which although in OTL used for entire units could be in some ATL awarded to individuals. The only problem would be when you got too many of them which would get a bit bulky.

Any ideas ?

How about armbands? They don't need to be wide like the kind you usually see - they could be thin with a colour pattern indicating what award their for, like ribbon bars. They would need to be quite tight to stay on, or they could clip onto the uniform, or even be sewn on around the sleeve.

Alternatively, you could go the TF2 route and use hats. Highly decorated soldiers would wear huge stacks of hats, whilst new recruits would have to hand their bare heads in shame.

How about armbands? They don't need to be wide like the kind you usually see - they could be thin with a colour pattern indicating what award their for, like ribbon bars. They would need to be quite tight to stay on, or they could clip onto the uniform, or even be sewn on around the sleeve.

Well the US military uses hash marks on the sleeves to denote time in service, good conduct, deployment, etm. And the Army has the shoulder sleeve insignia patches. So it's not without precedence.

Alternatively, you could go the TF2 route and use hats. Highly decorated soldiers would wear huge stacks of hats, whilst new recruits would have to hand their bare heads in shame.

Hilarity.

I like the idea of armbands. They would probably be worn only on non combat uniform so permanently attached wouldn't be an issue and they could be positioned in such a way that even with a few, they wouldn't cover patches. I think something like the royal naval lower arms rings could work in both size and position, campaign award would go on one arm, personnal awards down the other.

Well the US military uses hash marks on the sleeves to denote time in service, good conduct, deployment, etm. And the Army has the shoulder sleeve insignia patches. So it's not without precedence.

Patches of this sort are, to me, pretty much just non-metalic medals in the way they are used. You could revert the purple heart to its original fabric make and the effect wouldn't change much (apart from looking cheaper).

Hapsburg

Banned
Marine heavy shock armour. Heavy-plated variant of the Dingo powered assault suit. Utilised primarily by the Marine Corps' Shock Forces, the heavy strike and special operations unit of the CGMC.

Shock Armor.png

Speaking on Behalf of Hapsburg...

Hey Hapsburg, I've been meaning to ask for a while, how do you do all your uniform drawings? Do you trace and modify an existing pic, use a template or just do it free hand? either way, there really good.
He's already said it a million times: MS Paint. Pictures off the internet for poses. It's elsewhere on the thread. I second your opinion, though.

just an idea I had, steampunk is about futuristic invention made with a victorian sensibility. So what about a camo uniform for the imperial soldier ? I wanted it to retain some victorian flair so the pith helmet and pants are plain green and the jacket has a brown collar, pocket flaps and triangles on the lower sleeves. A subdued cloth regimental badge is sown to the helmet.

victorian-brit-soldier-camo.jpg

Last edited:
just an idea I had, steampunk is about futuristic invention made with a victorian sensibility. So what about a camo uniform for the imperial soldier ? I wanted it to retain some victorian flair so the pith helmet and pants are plain green and the jacket has a brown collar, pocket flaps and triangles on the lower sleeves. A subdued cloth regimental badge is sown to the helmet.

For... garrison wear only, I'm assuming?

For... garrison wear only, I'm assuming?

Field, temperate forest terrain. Not optimal but better then a bright red jacket with black pants and white helmet.

That being said, it could have replaced the red coat for all occasions like happened with the khaki in OTL for a while. Would be a sign of modernity.

attachment.php

Gray-coated Louisiana Republican troops circa 1806

That's amazing. Well done. :D

Something a little different: not a uniform, exactly, but this guy is intended to be a soldier of the Classical Gunnagal period, from Lands of Red and Gold. He's carrying a bronze-tipped spear and wears a simple helmet of emu leather. From the wattle flowers painted on his shield, he is probably a member of the gold kitjigal.

ClassicalGunnagal.png

Something a little different: not a uniform, exactly, but this guy is intended to be a soldier of the Classical Gunnagal period, from Lands of Red and Gold. He's carrying a bronze-tipped spear and wears a simple helmet of emu leather. From the wattle flowers painted on his shield, he is probably a member of the gold kitjigal.

Finally some LoRaG fan art ! :cool: Great warrior.

Finally some LoRaG fan art ! :cool: Great warrior.

Thanks!

Here's the second one: a Biral soldier from imperial era of Watjubaga. He is armed with a pike and equipped with a hardened leather breastplate and bronze helmet, shield, and greaves. (The last of which are not visible, being hidden behind his shield...)

Watjubaga.png

Thanks!

Here's the second one: a Biral soldier from imperial era of Watjubaga. He is armed with a pike and equipped with a hardened leather breastplate and bronze helmet, shield, and greaves. (The last of which are not visible, being hidden behind his shield...)

would the boomerang play any role even ceremonial ?

would the boomerang play any role even ceremonial ?

Jared never mentions the boomerang, oddly enough. I wouldn't be surprised if some Aururian cultures use it for something, though in a military context I'd expect it to be limited to tribal auxiliaries and the like--I'm not sure how popular it'll be in more advanced civilizations with access to bronze or iron.