Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Hapsburg

Banned
Dragoon, 17th Cavalry Division. These footsoldiers are attached to armoured units as defence, as light infantry counterparts to heavier panzergrenadiers. This one is armed with a Helix Rifle-- a rare prototype weapon using a helical magazine of small-calibre rifle rounds for high capacity and compact mobility.

CGU Cavalry Trooper.png

The reason why I had done the browncoats uniforms in the first place was that I wanted to illustrate a set of rank insignias I had designed for them. It was based on 2 (admitedly) minor piece of information: Mal was the only person seen wearing a lanyard and both mal and the lieutenant have a sleeve patch athough they appear to be slightly different, one up the other pointing down. The rest kind of evolved from that.

browncoatsranks1.png

browncoatsranks2.png

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
A woman in medium-weight combat armour. While I'm working on scanning some sketches of my own.

woman armour.png

Last edited:
The reason why I had done the browncoats uniforms in the first place was that I wanted to illustrate a set of rank insignias I had designed for them. It was based on 2 (admitedly) minor piece of information: Mal was the only person seen wearing a lanyard and both mal and the lieutenant have a sleeve patch athough they appear to be slightly different, one up the other pointing down. The rest kind of evolved from that.
Holy Firefly, these are shiny!

Hapsburg

Banned
MS Painted version of a sketch I posted a while ago.
CGUA staff sergeant from a Motor Rifle Division.

Soldier.png

Last edited:
Hey,

This a open question to anyone, but does anyone know of a good website to create WYSIWYG military patches online or even templates for said patches?

See Ya

Mark

Pasquin, are your Browncoat officers' rank patches supposed to be reminiscent of CSA collar pins or is that just me

Not just you. The back story to firefly was inspired by the ACW with the Independents taking the place of the south so this seemed appropriate.

League Armada uniforms for the 17th Strategic Bomber Squadron. Aeronaval commodore on the left and a combat flight director on the right.
I wish i could draw like that :(

MS Painted version of a sketch I posted a while ago.
CGUA staff sergeant from a Motor Rifle Division.

Hey Hapsburg, I've been meaning to ask for a while, how do you do all your uniform drawings? Do you trace and modify an existing pic, use a template or just do it free hand? either way, there really good.

A question, as well as a bit of a challenge: apart from medals, can anyone think or come up with a a method of decorations that would allowed variation and the presence of multiple of them but still have a similar structure (thus not large objects or completely different objects for different award).

The only system I can think of are the fourragères which although in OTL used for entire units could be in some ATL awarded to individuals. The only problem would be when you got too many of them which would get a bit bulky.

Any ideas ?