Malê Rising

WEruA.jpg

I'm leaving for Nigeria tonight - I have a wedding in Lagos to go to, and some minor business matters - and will be out of the country for the next ten days. I was hoping to finish another update before I left, dealing with Senegal, Gabon, the Toucouleur empire and the politics of French colonialism during the 1860s, but the real world got in the way as it often has a habit of doing. I don't want to post something half-finished, so the update must await my return. I'll probably need a few days to catch up once I'm back in the office, so figure on two weeks from now.

From there, matters will progress (if that's the right word) to the rise of colonial empires; the Sahelian states' struggle to maintain independence; the continuing evolution of Islamic modernism in the Sahel, Egypt, the Ottoman Empire and elsewhere; and the flapping of butterflies' wings in eastern and eventually southern Africa. There will also be occasional visits to Brazil and the United States (I have one more American update planned for the 1860s, followed by one in the late 1870s) and, as before, an occasional ATL literary excerpt. I figure, at the pace we're going, there will be a few more months before we're out of the nineteenth century, although the pace may pick up as some of the scattered threads start to reunite.

See you in two weeks.

I'm leaving for Nigeria tonight - I have a wedding in Lagos to go to, and some minor business matters - and will be out of the country for the next ten days. I was hoping to finish another update before I left, dealing with Senegal, Gabon, the Toucouleur empire and the politics of French colonialism during the 1860s, but the real world got in the way as it often has a habit of doing. I don't want to post something half-finished, so the update must await my return. I'll probably need a few days to catch up once I'm back in the office, so figure on two weeks from now.

From there, matters will progress (if that's the right word) to the rise of colonial empires; the Sahelian states' struggle to maintain independence; the continuing evolution of Islamic modernism in the Sahel, Egypt, the Ottoman Empire and elsewhere; and the flapping of butterflies' wings in eastern and eventually southern Africa. There will also be occasional visits to Brazil and the United States (I have one more American update planned for the 1860s, followed by one in the late 1870s) and, as before, an occasional ATL literary excerpt. I figure, at the pace we're going, there will be a few more months before we're out of the nineteenth century, although the pace may pick up as some of the scattered threads start to reunite.

See you in two weeks.

Ah, well that sucks.

Also, I did'nt know people actually went to Nigeria voluntarily. :p

WEruA.jpg

See you in two weeks.

Your life is more incredible then your timeline. I'm jealous.

(On the other hand, I've flown to a wedding in Bengal before and just got back from Australia, so maybe I shouldn't be.)

On a more serious note, have fun in Nigeria (are you visiting any other countries/cities, or just staying in Nigeria/Lagos?), and see you when you get back!

Cheers,
Ganesha

WEruA.jpg

See you in two weeks.

Have fun mate. If you need any help with Southern African history I can help there. Think you might be able to get help from Marius if he's still around also.

Enjoy.

Just one question about the Civil War update, what sort of civilian death count was there in the wake of the slave uprisings in the south? I'd assume that things would've gotten fairly horrendous in some places.

WEruA.jpg

See you in two weeks.

Enjoy the trip!

vWYcH.jpg

Yes, that's me at the wedding

I'm back in the United States, and I'll update in a few days. Africa was, as always, inspiring, and I've got a few new ideas for the Yoruba end of the timeline. And new art - plenty of it.

Your life is more incredible then your timeline. I'm jealous.

(On the other hand, I've flown to a wedding in Bengal before and just got back from Australia, so maybe I shouldn't be.)

Does it make a difference that it was a royal wedding, and that the bride's family may figure in the timeline? And that she works for me?

My life is actually pretty boring, except on the rare occasions when it isn't.

On a more serious note, have fun in Nigeria (are you visiting any other countries/cities, or just staying in Nigeria/Lagos?), and see you when you get back!

We did a 36-hour layover in Amsterdam both ways in order to break up the flight time, but didn't go anyplace else in Nigeria - there wasn't time, given the logistics of travel within the country.

Just one question about the Civil War update, what sort of civilian death count was there in the wake of the slave uprisings in the south? I'd assume that things would've gotten fairly horrendous in some places.

The toll was high, especially since both sides went after each other's farms - the freedmen went on foraging raids, and the Confederates practiced scorch-earth tactics in territories held by the uprising. I'd guess that the civilian death toll was easily in five figures, and that there will be a great deal of bitterness for both sides to work through after the war. The fighting in South Carolina is over at this point in the timeline; getting to actual peace will take considerably longer.

Have fun mate. If you need any help with Southern African history I can help there. Think you might be able to get help from Marius if he's still around also.

I'll take you up on that - things are getting to the point where southern Africa will see major changes. I should have some ideas sketched out in the next week or two, and if you don't mind, I'll run them by you.

That is a great photo. I was kind of hoping you'd go for a Teddy Roosevelt in Africa look, but perhaps it was more respectful that you wore traditional dress.

Edit - speaking of Marius, he linked an interesting article on the apparent "liberalism" of the late Cape Province in another thread, which you may find of interest. It looks principally at the franchise

http://stmarys.ca/~wmills/course322/8Cape_Liberalism.html

Last edited:
I must say that it is one of the most entertaining and gripping timelines that I've ever read. Actually there are only two AH timelines that I follow closely, and literally check every day for an update - this one, and benjamin's War of the Two Commonwealths.
I must say Jonathan, that you have enormous knowledge concerning West Africa, and you also shed a new light on Afro-Brazilian culture. Before reading Malê Rising, I'm ashamed to admit that I knew next to nothing about it (with exception of capoeira that I trained for six months).
I'm eager to see where it will take us, and what will be the future of Islamic Liberalism that you introduced to us.

Keep up the good work!

RosoMC

That is a great photo. I was kind of hoping you'd go for a Teddy Roosevelt in Africa look, but perhaps it was more respectful that you wore traditional dress.

It was expected - the bride's mother even went to the trouble of ordering it made. Also, upper-class Yoruba weddings are usually color-coded, and I don't have a yellow or gold suit (or even tie).

Anyway, here are more photos of the wedding from a local gossip sheet - the other guests look a lot better in traditional clothes than I do.

Edit - speaking of Marius, he linked an interesting article on the apparent "liberalism" of the late Cape Province in another thread, which you may find of interest. It looks principally at the franchise.

Thanks - I'd actually been looking for an article on "Cape liberalism" that I'd read a while back, and I think that's the one. I actually don't see the Cape being that much different in this timeline, but certain areas that became part of it in OTL might be separate protectorates. In Natal, the Colenso-Shepstone contretemps will reach a different resolution, and Anglo-Boer relations will of course be affected by the outbreak of a world war at a time when the Voortrekker republics are still independent. My ideas are still very rough, but things are getting to the point where I'll need to sort them out.

Oh, and two more words: Zulu regiments.

I must say Jonathan, that you have enormous knowledge concerning West Africa, and you also shed a new light on Afro-Brazilian culture. Before reading Malê Rising, I'm ashamed to admit that I knew next to nothing about it (with exception of capoeira that I trained for six months).

I'm eager to see where it will take us, and what will be the future of Islamic Liberalism that you introduced to us.

Thanks! I've always found the Afro-Brazilians fascinating, and especially the ones who returned to Africa in the nineteenth century - part of the African diaspora, and recently-enough enslaved to remember the mother continent, but still changed out of recognition by their experience in the New World and their contact with Latin culture. They really were (and are) a new and distinct people, and part of the inspiration for this timeline was the wish to imagine how they might have fared as a nation.

And there will be plenty more on Abacarism, Belloism and those inspired by them: keep watching this space.

And now for a real update

Antoine Bileka, Gateway to the Congo: The Story of Gabon (Libreville: Bioko, 1998)

BNfhy.jpg

… Napoleon IV famously said that Senegal was French by birthright but Gabon was French by accident. To say the least, he overstated his case: there are many Africans who would dispute France’s Senegalese patrimony, and there was at least some design to the French presence coastal Gabon. But neither was the emperor’s statement entirely untrue. By his time, the destinies of France and Senegal had been intertwined for centuries, and tens of thousands of Africans had achieved French citizenship; in contrast, Gabon would be a backwater for decades after its initial occupation.

During those decades, however, the fusion of five peoples and four religions would create a society unique in the world.

France had two things in mind when it signed treaties of protection with the chieftains of the Gabon estuary: suppressing the slave trade, and checking British and Portuguese expansion along the African coast. For that, only a small fort was necessary; such was established in 1840, and that was all the French presence that was originally planned.

The first hint of something more came in 1846, when the French navy captured a slave ship in Corisco Bay and seized its cargo. The post at Gabon was nearby and convenient, so the newly freed slaves were released there, and became the founders of the town of Libreville. Three more shipments of slaves suffered the same fate over the next two years, before the Atlantic slave trade was definitively suppressed.

The creation of this French Sierra Leone in Gabon caused some heads in Paris to contemplate actually settling and Christianizing the region. American Congregational missionaries were already active on the estuary, and the powerful Catholic interest in France proposed dispatching its own missionaries in order to counteract them. This required something more than a fort and trading post, and several plans for French settlement were debated during the final year of the Orleanist monarchy.

Ironically, it would be the overthrow of that monarchy that provided the solution. One of the Second Republic’s first acts was to free all slaves throughout the French empire and confer the citizenship of France upon them. Many of the colonial elites, both white and Creole, were concerned that the freedmen would soon achieve political and economic dominance, and as a partial answer to these concerns, the French government offered subsidies to freedmen who agreed to settle in Gabon. The response to this offer was less than hoped for, but between 1849 and 1860, several thousand ex-slaves did go to Libreville and the outlying areas, where they would form the nucleus of French colonialism.

In the meantime, the interior was being shaken by another folk migration: the arrival of the Fang, a Beti-Pahuin ethnic group who had been driven from the Adamawa plateau during the early stages of the Fulani jihad. The first Fang clans arrived in Gabon during the second decade of the nineteenth century. Due to their numbers and military superiority, they were able to overcome the indigenous Mitsogo people, but their conquest was still incomplete when the French arrived; the Fang and allied Beti-Pahuin groups occupied the coastal plain and savanna, but the Mitsogo, and the Baka pygmies, held the hill country.

A minority of the Fang practiced Islam, and these mostly held to their faith, but the remainder came under the influence of two religions: Christianity, brought by Western missionaries, and Bwiti, the faith of the Mitsogo. Bwiti, like many African religions, was animist, centering on worship of ancestors and of the forest god Djengi. What made it different was the discovery, by some unknown Baka prophet centuries past, of the iboga plant’s hallucinogenic properties. Taken in moderate doses, iboga produced waking dreams that the Mitsogo viewed as prophecy; in nearly-toxic doses, it produced intense hallucinations often followed by a re-experience of the ingestor’s life story. The Bwiti priesthood made frequent use of the iboga root, and one of the key rites of passage among the Mitsogo was a three-day death-and-rebirth ritual in which massive amounts of iboga were taken and the initiates’ life-path made clear. By the 1850s, the Fang – while fearing the Mitsogo as powerful magicians – had begun to incorporate iboga into their own animist rituals even as an increasing number sought work in the French-held areas and became Christian.

Into this fluid situation, in 1858, came the last of the peoples who would make up Gabon: Afro-Brazilian refugees from the Marianada uprising, some two thousand strong. And their mães-de-santo brought with them yet a fourth religion: the candomble, the syncretism of Catholic Christianity with worship of the Yoruba orixás. And it would be these who would bring Bwiti into the towns.

MrPvn.jpg

The mães, who were no strangers to ecstatic ritual and prophetic trances, were quick to recognize the religious potential of iboga and to teach that the orixás (who they had begun to call the “gods of exile”) should be worshiped in conjunction with the gods of the land. They were also accustomed to syncretizing Christian doctrine, and saw what the Fang had not yet seen: the parallel between the Mitsogo initiation rite and the death and rebirth of Jesus. And this initiation became the template for their own.

The first known practice of the naissance pascale occurred in 1861, but there may have been some version of it enacted the previous year. Like the Mitsogo coming-of-age rite, it was, and remains, a three-day ceremony characterized by playing the eight-stringed ritual instrument and consumption of large doses of iboga. Among the Afro-Brazilians, however, the ceremony coincided with Easter, and the initiates were ritually crucified during the first eight hours of the rite by being tied standing to crosses with their feet on the ground. In this position, they would experience the first of their visions. After being taken from the cross, they would be led to a darkened room symbolizing a tomb, from which they would emerge, clad in white, on the morning of the third day. By that time, they would be expected to have re-experienced their life, gained insight into their sins, and learned to conquer evil within themselves. The initiates would also be deemed to have partaken of the godhead during their three days of altered consciousness, and words spoken during the rituals were regarded as prophetic revelations.

At first, the naissance pascale was only for those being admitted to the ranks of the mães-de-santo, but within only a few years, it was a rite to which all who followed the candomble faith were entitled. The candomble, under Bwiti influence, had begun its transformation into a religion in which all people were divine, and in which the onset of adulthood was equated with an infusion and understanding of godhood. Many, especially among the Fang, understood this as a form of pre-emptive ancestor worship, in which the child who “died” during the initiation rite became the ancestor of the reborn adult. When overlaid with the Christian prophetic tradition, and with the protective rituals of the orixá pantheon (sometimes reimagined as saints and sometimes not), the fused Afro-Brazilian Bwiti faith proved a powerful one.

The reaction of the Church establishment in Libreville to these developments was, of course, one of horror – and, because neither the indigenous peoples nor the Afro-Brazilians had French citizenship, the debate over what to do about these rituals took place almost entirely without them. In 1862, the French governor was persuaded to make the naissance pascale illegal, and the following year, both the candomble and Bwiti faiths were banned outright. In succeeding years, different governors would enforce the ban with varying levels of severity, but Bwiti practice in the French-held areas was at best driven underground and at worst persecuted. The opposition to Bwiti also drastically slowed the integration of the Fang and Afro-Brazilians into French society; during the early years, many had married freedmen with French citizenship (as was inevitable in a society where a large majority of settlers were male), but during the 1860s, such marriages became increasingly frowned upon and the colonial government even debated banning them. Catholic freedmen were encouraged, instead, to send for wives from the Caribbean colonies and Guiana, whose Christian credentials were supposedly unimpeachable, although in practice that was not always the case.

With the doors of French society largely closed to them, the Afro-Brazilians sought alliances among the Fang and Mitsogo, marrying among them to create what in time would become a new creole nation. Their faith went with them, and although the missionaries’ Catholicism dominated along the coast, the candomble-Bwiti fusion took hold in the interior. Also, the remnants of the yamali-cult of the Marianada, which had taken their conception of the Malê Muslim warriors as quasi-saints, encountered true Islam among the Fang. This would lead in two directions: adoption of some Islamic rituals (such as the Ramadan fast) into Bwiti, and awareness of the Malê among the Fang Muslims. In time, as news of the outside world filtered from the Fang who worked at the ports to those in the interior, Abacarist doctrines of liberation would make their way into the local Islamic faith. The new culture that was taking shape in the interior would be a combative and nationalist one…

*******​

Gaiaye Diagne, Senegal: Rise of a Nation (Dakar: Nouvelle Presse Africaine, 1931)

… The French Empire’s turn to liberalism in the late 1850s would have several obvious effects on Senegal, including a return to local autonomy and an extension of citizenship rights, but the non-obvious effects would arguably be the most powerful ones. In loosening censorship, and in restoring limited democracy and freedom of expression, Napoleon III faced powerful opposition from the clerical conservatives and from the faction at court led by the Empress Eugénie. To mollify them, and to compensate for their losses in the domestic and colonial policy arenas, the emperor allowed them increasing play in shaping foreign policy, casting France not only as protector of the Papal States but as the patron of Catholicism in the New World. This suited the emperor’s desire to increase French presence on the world stage, and also his increasing view of himself as “protector of the natives,” but also entangled France in an increasing number of Latin American conflicts.

B6CnY.png

The Wolof tirailleur regiments recruited by Abdoulaye Diouf played an integral part in these conflicts. They were paid less than French regulars, seen as suitable for service in tropical climates, and experienced in small-unit actions as well as regimental-scale fighting. The tirailleurs, with both French and Wolof officers, served alongside metropolitan French troops in the ill-starred attempt to install the Habsburg prince Maximilian as Emperor of Mexico, and in the somewhat more successful defense of Brazilian Princess Regent Isabel (a deeply Catholic and abolitionist ruler who was married to a distant cousin of Eugénie) against the coronels who sought to reduce imperial power to a figurehead.

They fought, as well, outside the tropics, in support of the Kingdom of Araucania and Patagonia, a somewhat quixotic realm formed by several Mapuche clans who crowned French adventurer Orélie-Antoine de Tounens as their king. Tounens’ plea to Napoleon III on their behalf was calculated to appeal to both his romantic notion of being protector of the natives and his perennial desire to keep Argentina in check, and after the kingdom proved its viability by scoring several military successes against the Argentine state (which was in chaos after the overthrow of Juan Manuel de Rosas), the emperor decided to recognize its claim. The next ship to Patagonia brought a battalion of soldiers, a cargo of rifles and a contingent of missionaries, and in 1863, Senegalese troops served at the bottom of the world.

It would be Brazil, however, that would require the largest commitment of soldiers. By 1865, the coronels’ resistance to centralized rule had expanded into a full-blown uprising in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais provinces. Isabel was forced to flee to Pernambuco, where slavery was in steep decline and where the Marianada had broken the back of coronelismo, and a new draft of French troops and tirailleurs was sent to restore her to the throne. This meant that Napoleon III’s soldiers were on the ground, and in harm’s way, when an alliance of Paraguay, Argentina and the rebellious coronels invaded Entre Rios and ushered in the Third Platine War…

… In all, more than 20,000 Wolof soldiers took part in the Emperor’s New World adventures – and since, under the law of 1857, service in a tirailleur regiment conferred French citizenship for the soldiers and their families, this meant that by 1867, Senegal contained in excess of 75,000 African citizens. These greatly outnumbered the white and Creole inhabitants of the province, and were in fact sufficient to warrant a second seat in the Corps législatif.

Ironically, this would cost Diouf his place in parliament. In order to preserve a strong French and creole voting bloc in at least one of the districts, Senegal was separated into the quatre communes of St. Louis, Gorée, Dakar and Rufisque on the one hand, and the rest of the colony on the other. The urban seat elected one of the expatriate French liberals who had migrated to Senegal during the preceding decade, while the rural one chose a conservative traditional ruler; while Diouf’s populist party remained strong in the communal and provincial councils, he himself lost the election in the quatre communes by more than a thousand votes.

TKWs1.jpg

He would nevertheless stay on in Paris, because he had by this time formed a close partnership with the Minister for the Colonies, Prince Napoleon Joseph Charles Paul Bonaparte. The two had known each other since the days when Diouf had exchanged intelligence on Senegalese affairs for favorable treatment of Africans’ cases, and the prince had crafted the mechanism by which the barter of citizenship for military service was made to appear like the gift of a grateful empire rather than the back-room deal it was. Although “Plon-Plon” disliked Diouf’s populist radicalism and disagreed with many of his opinions, he had come to view the Senegalese leader as a canny and loyal political ally and to respect him as a man. In 1864, he appointed Diouf as one of his undersecretaries in the colonial ministry, and over time, he was challenged by the African’s conception of French identity as something defined by citizenship, language and shared values rather than race or religion. He would never fully accept Diouf’s views, but his correspondence of this period shows him coming to grips with the idea that an African Muslim might still be a Frenchman.

To be sure, there were powerful interests who opposed such an expansion of Frenchness: the clerical-conservative faction at court, the French and creole mercantile interests of the quatre communes, colonial governors seeking absolute power in their fiefdoms. The questions of who could be a Frenchman, what the qualifications of French citizenship should be, and whether something more than mere nationality was necessary to make someone fully French, were still unsettled in the 1860s and would remain so for decades to come. But in 1868, Diouf’s expertise was needed for more urgent matters, as the long-quiescent Toucouleur frontier began to heat up again…

*******​

Ahmadu Odubogun, Faith and Ferment: The Sahel and Sudan in the Nineteenth Century (Ibadan Univ. Press 2005)

… Umar Tall died in 1863, leaving behind him the largest and most powerful empire assembled in the Sahel since the fall of Songhai. His realm included the entire upper and middle Niger as far as Timbuktu and much of the upper Senegal, with Futa Jallon as a loyal ally. And in contrast to the collection of tributary states and ad-hoc armies that characterized the early empire, the Toucouleur kingdom at Tall’s death was a centralized state with a strong standing army.

After the reconquest of the Bambara, Tall had begun to reorganize his empire along the lines of the pre-Tanzimat Ottoman state, redrawing the borders of the conquered kingdoms and dividing them into eyalets and sanjaks. Each had a centrally appointed governor, almost always Toucouleur and usually connected to Tall by ties of personal and family loyalty, as well as an ulema or jurisprudential council that was generally drawn from the indigenous population. Each administrative unit was also required to supply a quota of conscript troops, who would spend their three years’ service in another part of the empire and would thereafter be eligible for appointment to the civil service. The various laws and customs of the constituent nations were replaced with a single code of law, interpreted by the ulemas and ultimately by a supreme council of judges which sat in Timbuktu.

Many other things did not change. Tall was fundamentally a reactionary and feared the growth of an urban working class, which was the source of much of the Malê states’ radicalism; thus, he actively discouraged industrialization and did little to improve secular education. Nor, generally, did he favor the merchant class, preferring to imagine his empire as a state of religiously pure scholars and peasants. But the military roads and canals he built were available to merchants as well as soldiers, while the elimination of internal borders and the creation of uniform law eased the spread of prosperity and news throughout the kingdom. Despite Tall’s wishes, the cities of Timbuktu, Djenné and Ségou were twice as populous at the end of his reign as they were at the beginning, and a delayed intellectual ferment was beginning to take root there.

But as in Sokoto, succession would lead to complications. To be sure, unlike Paulo Abacar, Tall had never felt the need to pretend that he was not a king, and had planned for his death, instructing the supreme council of judges to name his successor. After a week of deliberation – most of which was surely for show – the kingmakers named his nephew Tidiani as emperor, as everyone expected they would.

Uo1Ep.jpg

Tidiani lacked his uncle’s charisma or vision, but he was a capable soldier and administrator, and the majority of the people accepted him as emir. One who did not accept, however, was Umar Tall’s son Ahmadu Sekou, who was angry at having been passed over for the succession. He had expected at least a subject kingdom to rule in his own right, but in the new, centralized Toucouleur state, that was not possible. He was forced, instead, to accept the post of commander of the armies – a powerful position, certainly, but one that made him Tidiani’s direct subordinate.

Within five years of Tidiani’s accession, Ahmadu had begun to intrigue among the restive conquered regions, seeking support to make a bid for power. He also sought the aid of Futa Toro, the Fulani kingdom in which his father had been born but never conquered, and which had entered an uneasy alliance with France to forestall Toucouleur conquest. Ahmadu’s recruitment of Futa Toro troops would ultimately bring this French client into conflict with the loyal provinces of the Toucouleur empire, and would put France at risk of being involved in the coming civil war…

Last edited:
Very nice.

Looks like the French monarchy under the Bonapartes will survive, and the next Emperor will be decidedly more liberal on racial issues than most. And turmoil threatening in the Sahel, very interesting.

Hnau

Banned
This remains a beautiful timeline, Jonathan. I am enjoying it quite a bit. Please continue! :)

Recognised Araucanían independence?!

Tell me, is this your way of making the Napoleon, Emperor of the French solve the Falklands crisis a century ahead of time, therefore making the British enternally in his debt?

Absolutely smashing, as ever. A new Liberia in Gabon? I'm looking forward to seeing the next map showing all the new political developments in Africa.

One thing I'm interested by - how will all these developments affect Haiti? is it going to remain fundamentally doomed, or will some good come out of having fellow black polities active in the international scene?

Looks like the French monarchy under the Bonapartes will survive, and the next Emperor will be decidedly more liberal on racial issues than most. And turmoil threatening in the Sahel, very interesting.

The Bonaparte monarchy will survive the Franco-Prussian War, and will last through the nineteenth century. Beyond that, things are still up in the air.

Recognised Araucanían independence?! Tell me, is this your way of making the Napoleon, Emperor of the French solve the Falklands crisis a century ahead of time, therefore making the British enternally in his debt?

The Argentines have already done a fairly good job of pre-empting the Falklands crisis. The Platine War ended somewhat better for Rosas in this timeline due to Brazilian overstretch, leading to a Second and ultimately a Third Platine War. What was good for Rosas turned out to be bad for Argentina; Entre Rios and Corrientes remained outside the Argentine confederation, and after Rosas’ overthrow in 1860, several of the other provinces asserted de facto independence. At this point in the timeline, the area firmly controlled by the Argentine government runs more or less from Buenos Aires through Cordoba to Mendoza, with control over Patagonia very tenuous. It will be a long time before any Argentine state is capable of asserting a claim to the Falklands.

The French interest (as in OTL) is to keep Argentina divided and weak, and putting Chile in its place is just a bonus.

Absolutely smashing, as ever. A new Liberia in Gabon? I'm looking forward to seeing the next map showing all the new political developments in Africa.

The map of Gabon will be boring – it will have more or less the same borders as OTL.

Gabon will be more a Sierra Leone than a Liberia – a French colony rather than an independent republic. The relationship between creoles and indigenous peoples will be considerably different than in either Liberia or Sierra Leone, given that (a) the Fang are arriving at more or less the same time as the Europeans; and (b) there are two groups of creoles, one of which will be more European-oriented and one of which will ally with the indigenous population. The Afro-Brazilians will be considered not quite creole and not quite native, which could put them in an awkward position once the dynamic of colonialism and resistance gets started. Bwiti will also strengthen nationalism much as it did in OTL – Mitsogo guerrilla warfare against French colonialism lasted well into the twentieth century.

Gabon won’t have nearly as easy a time under French rule as Senegal or Mali, and the differences between colonizer and colonized will take longer to work out. This will be due, not to race prejudice (although there will be some of that), but to religious prejudice. Imperial France will be able to work with, and give a measure of respect to, sophisticated Muslim peoples, especially those who are willing to adopt the French language, but a clan society which practices what Frenchmen will see as a perversion of Christianity is a different story. Things won’t get nearly as bad in Gabon as the Congo basin, but they’ll be worse than in Muslim West Africa and possibly even than Côte d’Ivoire – if you look at how Bwiti was treated in OTL, that’s more or less what will happen here. When matters are eventually settled, though, they may lead some surprising places.

(Just for the record, the OTL French Navy did release a shipload of freed slaves in Gabon in 1849 – that’s why Libreville has its name – but nothing else ever came of it.)

One thing I'm interested by - how will all these developments affect Haiti? is it going to remain fundamentally doomed, or will some good come out of having fellow black polities active in the international scene?

I’ve thought about that from time to time – the Haitian revolution was one of the Malê rebels’ inspirations, so what’s happening in Haiti? The trouble is that the single most crippling event in Haitian history – the imposition of a crushing French indemnity in exchange for recognition – happened well before the POD. Thus, the regression and isolation of Haitian society that took place after the indemnity agreement will still have occurred.

I doubt that a higher African political profile will make much difference, given that the affairs of Haiti and the African states are unlikely to cross. On the other hand, different French attitudes might help – if, for instance, there’s a French Emperor who believes that France should make amends to Haiti and refund the indemnity. But even if this happens, many of the ill effects (such as the withdrawal of peasants to avoid forced labor and production quotas, and the retreat into subsistence agriculture) would be hard to reverse. On the other hand, Haiti did experience a period of relative stability during the later 19th century OTL, and an infusion of cash or other French support might help that take root.

I’m going to have to work out Haiti’s history in this timeline. I assume that Faustin Soulouque would still be president and declare himself emperor, given that this happened relatively soon after the POD and there’s nothing I can think of that would butterfly it away. On the other hand, what happens after Soulouque is up in the air, and the aftermath of his rule could just as easily lead to collapse or civil war as to the more-or-less stable epoch of OTL. If anyone familiar with Haitian history could help me out, I’d appreciate it.

There may, BTW, be Haitians in Gabon.

You've butterflied the War of the Triple Alliance. That's awesome - one thing I don't like about a lot of otherwise great timelines is the way they screw over Paraguay as almost an afterthought, absorbing it into Argentina/Brazil with a minimum of fuss and fanfare. Anyway, fascinating update expanding the butterflies to the world stage.

You've butterflied the War of the Triple Alliance. That's awesome - one thing I don't like about a lot of otherwise great timelines is the way they screw over Paraguay as almost an afterthought, absorbing it into Argentina/Brazil with a minimum of fuss and fanfare. Anyway, fascinating update expanding the butterflies to the world stage.

Well, I don't know how well they'll do against the French-backed Brazilian factions, but at least if they lose, they'll have some allies to share the blame, and they probably won't take the same population hit. From what Jonathan said at one point, it sounds like Francisco Solano Lopez still ends up in charge, but there's a chance he might not botch this war quite as badly...

Hnau

Banned
I had skipped over that installment on South Carolina and man, did I miss something great! The story of the Great Rising was awesome. Great stuff.