Look to the West -- Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo Sanchez

That was pretty epic. I do note that this is the second time you've ended a volume with an enigmatic appearance by Pablo Sanchez; it's like an epic TV series where the Big Bad only shows up in the stinger to the season finale to bemoan the good guys foiling yet another ridiculously elaborate gambit...

So I didn't start reading until after Volume III started, but I have gone back and read #100. Just to make sure though, I have to ask: Pablo Sanchez is a fictional character, right? :)

Thande

Donor
Nugax has kindly made another "Little Mans" map, this time for the ENA, so I can finally grace you with a comprehensive (and VAAAAAST) election map.

(He forgot a couple of borough seats I added on; any remaining mistakes are my own).

ENA election 1832 map.png

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
It works very well, but the "little man" always remind me of a type of clothespin. :p

Also, what's the long, spindly province out in OTL Arkansas/Texas?
That's Gualpa province, it's basically "Not very well incorporated territory" where only the eastern part really votes in an organised way, similar to how Texas was for many years in OTL.

It looks very nice, great work Nugax...but East Florida at Large should definitely be Neutral :rolleyes:

That was my mistake, not Nugax's; however you also made me notice West Florida at-large doesn't have a little man at all, which is his fault, so we'll share the blame on that one ;) I have edited the map.

Another mistake on my part was giving a seat to Bergen in New York when I did the election diagram before; I hadn't realised that town is in an area which in TTL is ruled by the Iroquois/Howden. I think I shall have to reassign that seat to somewhere else, either that or cop out by saying there's another town called Bergen further south.

Thande

Donor
Okay, sorry. Anyway, you haven't answered my question about the Meridian Cortes.

It's unicameral. I tend to go with unicameral by default in TTL because I think the use of bicameral assemblies by republics in OTL was largely inspired by the USA's, and that example doesn't exist in TTL. Without the American example I think most republicans would have taken the attitude that they are getting rid of the Lords/the upper two Estates and therefore only need one assembly to represent all the (allegedly) equal people.

It's unicameral. I tend to go with unicameral by default in TTL because I think the use of bicameral assemblies by republics in OTL was largely inspired by the USA's, and that example doesn't exist in TTL. Without the American example I think most republicans would have taken the attitude that they are getting rid of the Lords/the upper two Estates and therefore only need one assembly to represent all the (allegedly) equal people.
Okay. So a unicamerial federal republic with a one term six year president, three political parties, and two round run off voting. Got it. Much simpler then the ENA.

Thande

Donor
Okay. So a unicamerial federal republic with a one term six year president, three political parties, and two round run off voting. Got it. Much simpler then the ENA.

Indeed. The fact that the ENA's system is complicated and inconsistent pleases me greatly: it means I have achieved one of the main aims I set out to reach in this TL: "What would America look like politically if its system was derived from Britain's and allowed to evolve naturally rather than being designed from the groundwork up?" I wanted to do something more realistic than e.g. The Two Georges where the NAU's political system is just a carbon copy of Britain's circa 1910 even though that makes no sense.

Thande

Donor
I've been making a lot of maps of this type for the current OTL American election, so I'm thinking of doing a few for LTTW as well. This one just shows the distribution of MCPs by province.

ENA MCPs breakdown 1832.png

Thande, though you seemed to be down on the 'James River Urban Hub' idea we floated earlier in the thread and saying its more rotten boroughs than anything, I do think such a concentration of political power (the James River cities in total have more votes than any other province 'cept Georgia) will be able to advance its interests and reap economic and demographic benefits.

I imagine most of the organs of the Imperial Navy will end up there and a lot of other contracts, and the ending of slavery in Virginia seeing a lot of cheap light industrial labour starting up.

Thande

Donor
Thande, though you seemed to be down on the 'James River Urban Hub' idea we floated earlier in the thread and saying its more rotten boroughs than anything, I do think such a concentration of political power (the James River cities in total have more votes than any other province 'cept Georgia) will be able to advance its interests and reap economic and demographic benefits.

I imagine most of the organs of the Imperial Navy will end up there and a lot of other contracts, and the ending of slavery in Virginia seeing a lot of cheap light industrial labour starting up.

I agree, that's what I was going for. (The rotten boroughs was only part of the explanation, I do accept what you and the other guys were saying about eastern Virginia--ultimately the two things go together, it's about getting easy local seats for people based at the centre of cultural and political power).

You can also see the lasting effects of the Whigs backing the Crane government in return for more seats in Carolina.

I've been making a lot of maps of this type for the current OTL American election, so I'm thinking of doing a few for LTTW as well. This one just shows the distribution of MCPs by province.

This map really shows which areas are over and underrepresented - it'll be a great help at the next election, when some new seats will have to be given out.

Hopefully, you'll allow me 'working out' the ENA elections to become a regular thing?

This map really shows which areas are over and underrepresented - it'll be a great help at the next election, when some new seats will have to be given out.

Well since Thande hasn't given much population figures its hard to tell what deserves and what doesn't deserve its representation.

Another mistake on my part was giving a seat to Bergen in New York when I did the election diagram before; I hadn't realised that town is in an area which in TTL is ruled by the Iroquois/Howden. I think I shall have to reassign that seat to somewhere else, either that or cop out by saying there's another town called Bergen further south.

Do you mean the yellow little man in a circle to the right of *Dunkirk/Whitehaven? If so, just retcon it to being Tradersburgh and claim it's a slip of clicking where it is. :p

Anyways, very fantastic results and marvelous map by Nugax. You've helped me understand parliamentary processes better with the ENA.

This map really shows which areas are over and underrepresented

yeah, its really interesting, this system seems to strongly favor spread out populations. I wonder how long it's going to be before the northerners start to make a big issue out of it.

this makes me think of something else though, with all that population growth going on down in virginia, are new york and the other big northern cities still biggier ITTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.